NATION

PASSWORD

An Imperial Declaration of Open Border Policy

A staging-point for declarations of war and other major diplomatic events. [In character]
Yohannes
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 17, 2010
Ex-Nation

An Imperial Declaration of Open Border Policy

Postby Yohannes » Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:38 am

The sanctity beholden upon that of an open border and free trade for all.

Ever since the dawn of civilisation, Yohannesia and Her Crown Commonwealth Empire have maintained an international open border and trade policy within its realm; spanning the length of twelve regions, holding sway over 46 billion people. In return, Yohannesia asked for nothing more but that of an equivalent reciprocation. Historically, various insignificant nations have refused her demand. These minor powers, devoid of the acknowledgement which one had upon Yohannesia and Her Commonwealth Empire, refused the presence of Yohannesian free trade enterprises and commercial goodwill. My predecessors have watched as Yohannesia and Her warm extension of affectionate hand was rejected outright.

That shall be no more.

Let it be known upon the date this official statement has been written, that Yohannesia and Her Commonwealth Empire shall militarily enforce its will upon any sovereign nations and governments which refuse the opening of their economic and geographical border towards Yohannesian goods, trading entities and participations. The recent economic and military crises within the region of Gholgoth have shown the imperative need for Yohannesia to expand her market overseas. The vaunted Commonwealth Navy shall enforce the god-given right which Yohannesia and Her Commonwealth Empire has upon the expansion of its open border and market policy overseas. She shall not rest asunder.

You have been warned.

Lest the sleeping leviathan known throughout the almighty region of Gholgoth as the Commonwealth Navy shall knock upon your border, Yohannesia hereby recommend the opening of your represented government’s territorial border and market to her commerce, goods and enterprises. The evil known to mankind as that of mercantilism and closed-border polity is an antiquity, outdated concept. Yohannesia shall ensure, under her watch, that the presence of its lingering existence shall be no more.

Henceforth let it be known upon the twentieth of the third, the year of our Lord two thousand and twelve, which this statement has been declared. So May the dictation of His Lord uphold this declaration as authorised by the Commonwealth of the nineteen countries and Her Crown Realms be enforced upon in its entirety.

As Signed by the Rt Hon. Julius Frej Shriver
His Majesty's Minister of Foreign Affairs
The Pink Diary | Financial Diary | Embassy Exchange | Main Characters
The Archbishop and His Mission | Adrian Goldwert’s Yohannesian Peace | ISEC | Retired Storytelling Account
Currency | HASF Materials | Bank of Yohannes | SC Resolution # 237 | #teamnana | Posts | Views
Retired II RP Mentor | Yohannes’ [ National Flag ] | Commended WA Nation
♚ Moving to a new nation not because I "wish to move on from past events," but because I'm bored writing about a fictional large nation on NS. Can online personalities with too much time on their hands stop spreading unfounded rumours about this online boy?? XOXO ♚

Milograd
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 10, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Milograd » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:07 am

The Dh'arconian Empire of Milograd

The Guiding Consortium and Dh'arconian High Command wishes to clarify that the undesired enforcement of any economic policies on Dh'arconian shall be viewed and perceived as an act of war, and advises the internationalists of Yohannes to avoid Dh'arconia, as such is within the best interests of their citizens.

Yohannes will not disturb Milograd, for it shall not be allowed.

Dh'arco Rahavuhra Jukill
Guiding Lord of the Empire
Last edited by Milograd on Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Retired

The Black Plains
Senator

Founded: Jan 18, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby The Black Plains » Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:03 pm

Telegram transmitted by Lewell & Klein Telecommunications Co. Inc.
To Mr. Julius Shriver etc. etc., Dear Sir;

The Security Syndicate does not police its borders and the people residing therein welcome commerce. If it is profitable. However, we do have certain clientele that enjoy a tighter hold on their economic welfare. For instance, The Blue Plains, New Wesnoth, Greater Tezdrian, and others. We have not yet conferred with them to see how they will react to this... thing. But if they decide to oppose you, then rest assured, we will back up our paying customers. Lest we go bankrupt. No ill will against you, of course. But security is our business. And business is good. We go where the money is, I'm afraid.

~Peter Cantrell, FM
This is an official legatio terrae of the Security Syndicate of the Black Plains. May its words be our own.

Yohannes
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Yohannes » Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:33 pm

Lord Dh'arco Rahavuhra Jukill of Milograd,

In my capacity as the Minister of Foreign Affairs to His Majesty Aurel III of Alexandria, I shall hereby state most clearly that Yohannesia hold no ambitions with the least of chance whatsoever, be such of an initiative consisting by nature of economic, diplomatic and/or military strategic initiative, to expand its spherical influence within D’harconia. His Majesty’s Government wishes no infringement upon the territorial sovereignty of its fellow governments within the region of Gholgoth.

I cannot but shake my head exasperatedly at your regime’s stupendous claim, however. Lord Jukill, you speak upon the force of good which D’harconianism and its isolationist stance shall shower your people with; one’s dystopia where the immortal and inherent wrongs of this world shall be vanquished by virtue of its ideological claim of enlightenment, heavenly mandated as of such. Now allow me to ask you this question, Lord Jukill; can you not but foresee the cultural decadence and economic malaise which Milograd shall inherit as consequences of such a diluted policy?

How will the Milogradian people; the common Milogradian working class; men and women, innocent child and future generations, judge such an inherently short-sighted, ideologically outdated concept and tarnished policy? The opening of your represented territorial border and market towards the presence and participation of Yohannesian free enterprises and goods shall benefit not just Yohannesia Herself, but ultimately that of Milograd and her people.

Is it not that of your governmental mission, allow me to emphasise this question Lord Jukill, to act upon its divine right of rule by representing and ultimately, that of acknowledging the inevitable future requirement which Milograd and Her people shall require? Is it not upon the very basis of a heavenly mandated right of rule itself that your represented government has been tasked ever since its amalgamation, to guide the Milogradian nation and Her people towards the path of a brighter future, beholden and irredeemably attached within such an enlightenment of one’s policy?

Let me further reiterate my view upon this matter, Lord Jukill; Yohannesia hold no strategic territorial nor indirect spherical influence ambitions whatsoever, be they of economic, diplomatic and/or military nature, to infringe upon the territorial sovereignty of your government and its people.

It is however, without a shadow of doubt that I weep heavily upon the unfortunate future and blanket of shadow beholden upon the fate of Milograd and Her people. Your stance, that of a misguided sense of dystopia and the cohesiveness which has always accompanied its evil, propelled by your policy of complete isolationism, shall provide the impetus which the future generation of Milograd shall require to understand the fallacy of your government.

Lord Jukill, your represented government has preached unashamedly of its misguided ideology; the very vile and abomination known to mankind as Dh'arconianism.

An ideology of none whatsoever but that of moral decadence itself.

Henceforth let it be known upon the twentieth of the third, the year of our Lord two thousand and twelve, that this statement has been declared. So May the dictation of His Lord uphold this declaration as authorised by the Commonwealth of the nineteen countries and Her Crown Realms be enforced upon in its entirety.

Last edited by Yohannes on Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Archbishop and His Mission | Adrian Goldwert’s Yohannesian Peace | ISEC | Retired Storytelling Account
Currency | HASF Materials | Bank of Yohannes | SC Resolution # 237 | #teamnana | Posts | Views
♚ Moving to a new nation not because I "wish to move on from past events," but because I'm bored writing about a fictional large nation on NS. Can online personalities with too much time on their hands stop spreading unfounded rumours about this online boy?? XOXO ♚

Tarasovka
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Tarasovka » Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:49 pm

TARASKOVYAN EMPIRE
FOREIGN AFFAIRS MINISTRY

His Excellency Alexei Shen-Shoturskiy, Minister of Foreign Affairs of the Taraskovyan Empire, His Grace the Duke of Var-Vilena and Southern Aphyr et al.
to
His Excellency Julius Frej Shriver, the Right Honourable, Minister of Foreign Affairs, Yohannesian Crown Commonwealth Realms

Concerning: Enforcement of Yohannesian Free Trade

Your Excellency,

It is with much curiousity that the Taraskovyan Empire has noted that declaration issued by the Yohannesian Crown Commonwealth Realms pertaining to the issue of open borders and trade. Whilst the Yohannesian policy on opening her own sovereign borders to foreign goods and citizens is certainly the laudable sovereign choice of Yohannesia, the Taraskovyan Empire can only note with regret the Yohannesian desire to adopt an aggressive and militarist approach towards foreign States who choose, in accordance with the God given sovereign right of nations, to adopt a protectionist stance towards their own economy.

The Taraskovyan Empire herself finds the Yohannesian approach as menacing towards Taraskovyan interests and the safety and security of the Empire's citizens. Your Excellency shall find that those under the protection of His Most August Majesty the Vasilevs Mikhail of all Taraskovya are no less numerous* nor important than the subjects of His Royal and Imperial Majesty** the King-Emperor Aurel III of Yohannes. For, and it shall be said without a shadow of hesitation, the Taraskovyan Empire follows her own path in international economic relations, setting economic limitations in accordance with constitutionally established legislative procedures and entering into agreements on Free Trade with those nations the Empire deems compatible with Imperial expectations of product quality, safety and reliability. These procedures are those of the Taraskovyan Empire and shall be dictated by none others than the Vasilevs and the People of Taraskovya.

This God given right and privilege of sovereignty the Taraskovyan Empire holds dear and there can be no shadow of a doubt over the fact that should the Yohannesian Crown Commonwealth Realms ever choose to unwisely enforce her self-proclaimed rights over the Taraskovyan Empire or over any nation over which the protective mantle of the Taraskovyan National Defence Forces is extended, then the Taraskovyan Empire shall act decisively to eliminate the threat and any potential resumption of the threat in the future.

Your Excellency shall find that this missive in the current situation is a friendly word of advice and not a threat, and it is the Empire's hope that this missive remains the former and the Empire's hand shall not be forced to turn it into the latter.

May the Holy Theotokos watch over Taraskovya and Yohannesia,

Minister of Foreign Affairs of the Taraskovyan Empire
Alexei Shen-Shoturskiy
Duke of Var-Vilena and Southern Aphyr et al.

OOC:
* Counting in semi-comatose and lazy players who play several parts of the Empire. But hey, I am lazy myself, so can't blame them!
** Style assumed based on the “King Emperor” title. Consider it would be replaced with the appropriate official and formal title as appropriate if the style I as a player assumed would be wrong.

N.B. The Taraskovyan Empire is a future tech nation. Very decisively, abusively and hilariously so. But I interact with numerous modern tech and post-modern tech nations and some of those I interact with also interact with you.
Last edited by Tarasovka on Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Links: Nation Maintenance Thread and various Bits and Pieces

INCORRECT SPELLING - DOES NOT EXIST:
Adjective: Tarasovkan

CORRECT SPELLING:
Noun: Taraskovya (formal, high flown) ; Tarasovka (routine)
Adjective: Taraskovyan

Urarail
Envoy

Founded: Mar 06, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Urarail » Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:53 pm

A Response to the Twittering Peacocks of the Commonwealth

By Word and Decree of the Holy Imperium of Urarail

Peacocks of Yohannes,

First allow me to explain the Empire's response to your latest decree. I am interpreting it in serious gravity, and if instead you meant it as a joke, a diplomatic prank of sorts, than bravo, the audience is most entertained. If you speak with plain intent though, then read on, dear Commonwealth avians.

The Urarailian Empire has reserved embargo and tariff alike only for our foes, unless it suits us otherwise and lines our pockets with more coin. To date, the Commonwealth has never invoked either ground for such regulation. But you see, this was our *choice.* And despite the fact we do not fall under your ridiculously unveiled threat, we cannot help but have a certain distaste for it. I feel other nations will also find a rather foul odor rising from your ink as well. But that is between them and their olfactory nerves. I write to discuss Urarail's response.

Allow me to be unveiled and painfully blunt, as that seems to be the style you prefer to use. Your decree reeks of delusion. The Lords of Gholgoth are currently tripping over each other to slit each other's throats, and what sanity New Azura had has officially left the building. While we frankly couldn't care about such regional suicide, your Crowns Commonwealth has a member rather too close for blissful ignorance on our part, the Republic of Drackonisa. And so, answer we must. But rather return threat for threat, I prefer absurdity for absurdity.

The Urarailian Empire hereby recognizes and agrees to your decree. But as it does not specify how much goods we are required to import, we hereby set a maximum import limit of 1 pound of Commonwealth-originating goods per day.

We are so glad to have arrived at a diplomatic solution to this...announcement.

You may now continue with your strutting.

Sincerely,

Althan Reirmark
(insert fancy titles here)

Addendum: the above limitations on imports does not apply to your Icebreaker vessels. We freakin' love those things.
Last edited by Urarail on Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I one day hope to have my own Security Council "Condemn Urarail" Resolution. And a verified Twitter account.

North Defese wrote:"People always thought it would be zombies or foreigners," one man told us, "or maybe zombie foreigners. No one thought of this! Why did we have to have so much body oil and those things you put on your nipples and spin around!? WHAT WERE WE THINKING!?"

Akimonad
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 14, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Akimonad » Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:57 pm

DiploQuick™ Diplomatic Response Form

To: ____Yohannes____

Dear Sirs:

I/We hereby

[X] CONDEMN
[ ] SUPPORT
[ ] CONGRATULATE
[ ] DENY
[ ] AFFIRM
[ ] ____other____

your recent

[ ] QUERY
[ ] ANNEXATION
[ ] NUCLEAR HOLOCAUST
[ ] SUCCESSFUL CURRY DELIVERY
[X] COMMUNIQUÉ
[ ] NONSENSE
[ ] INVASION
[ ] ____other____

of/to/by/from/because/through/for/with/that
Other preposition?: ____insert here____

____economic aggression____

and

[ ] FURTHER DENY
[ ] FURTHER AFFIRM
[ ] AUTHORIZE PAYMENT
[ ] PIP-PIP HUZZAH
[ ] SINCERELY HOPE
[X] ANGRILY DENOUNCE
[ ] ____other____

____your plans to expand your trade via military action____.

Have a nice day,
____Jonathan Swiftsure Quigley____
____President, Republic and Commonwealth of Akimonad____

Message Generated by DiploQuick™ v 11.09: The Easy Way to Send Any Unimportant Missive to People You Don't Care About!
DiploQuick™ is a service of Pompelintern. Accept no substitutes.

[OOC Notice: DiploQuick is all in good fun, and is not meant to offend or troll.]
The Republic and Commonwealth of Akimonad
Located in Maredoratica · Demonym: Akimonadi

Embassies

Knootoss
Senator

Left-Leaning College State

Postby Knootoss » Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:21 pm

From the Knootian Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Defence:

Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Defence
"Omnia mutantur nos et mutamur in illis"

Ministry of Foreign Affairs & Defence
Plein 4
P.O. Box 40004
2500 ES HARTSTAD
http://www.minbuzadef.kn
From: Daniel Maria Geelen, Minister of Foreign Affairs and Defence, Dutch Democratic Republic of Knootoss
To: The Rt Hon. Julius Frej Shriver, Minister of Foreign Affairs, Yohanessian Commonwealth Empire
CC: Atlantic International Organisation, Andrium, Pantocratorian Ambara
Subject: Re: Public Declaration on the Open Border Policy
Security Classification: Confidential

Your Excellency,

The government of the Dutch Democratic Republic of Knootoss has taken notice of the official statement of the Commonwealth Empire regarding the desired reciprocation of her Open Border Policy. The Dutch Democratic Republic has noted, with some concern, the foreign policy doctrine that was laid out therein. I should like to make several inquiries regarding this doctrine, and lay out the position of my government to the best of my ability.

My government desires, first and foremost, clarification upon the following points:

1. Does the Yohannesian Commonwealth intend to enforce her claims to a reciprocal open border policy indiscriminately upon all nations, or is it a doctrine that may only be invoked when she finds her material interests threatened?

2. Is the Yohannesian Commonwealth prepared to acknowledge that sovereign nations, all being equal in the arena of international law, have an inherent right to establish their own laws and regulations in the area of commerce, no matter how distasteful these laws and regulations might seem to either the Yohannesian Commonwealth or the Dutch Democratic Republic?

3. Can the Yohannesian Commonwealth make public assurances that her statement was not intended to menace the Dutch Democratic Republic, the Knootian Federation or her allies?

The government of Knootoss has always regarded the Yohannesian Commonwealth with fraternal feelings, acknowledging that she is a sizeable economic power. My government remains determined to maintain a sustainable economic relationship, to the benefit of both our nations. She also remains open to the suggestion of closer political ties.

However, these fraternal feelings do not discharge the government of the Dutch Democratic Republic from her duty to assert the sovereignty of the nation and to uphold the treaty obligations to which she is bound. These treaty obligations are responsible for a trade policy which, though still eminently favourable to the Yohannesian Commonwealth, fall short of the ideal of unrestricted access.

Furthermore, the government of the Dutch Democratic Republic feels responsible for maintaining the territorial integrity of the Western Atlantic region. She will not tolerate the interference of the Commonwealth Navy in the waters of the Western Atlantic, nor will she suffer the disruption of commerce that would flow from the enforcement of her military-commercial doctrine upon nations of the Western Atlantic.

Nonetheless, I eagerly anticipate your reply and trust that our fraternal relations may continue to develop unimpeded.

Yours faithfully,

Daniel Geelen

This government communication has been printed on biodegradable paper. All carbon emissions associated with the creation of this government communication have been off-set with new plantings in Colombia, using the Pink Bunny Tree™ Carbon Offset Scheme, sponsored by the Pink Bunny Cola Corporation and the Global Hell Group. For more information about the Pink Bunny Tree™ Carbon Offset Scheme, consult http://www.futureproof.kn.
Last edited by Knootoss on Sat Mar 24, 2012 6:20 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Ideological Bulwark #7 - RPed population preserves relative population sizes. Webgame population / 100 is used by default. If this doesn't work for you and it is relevant to our RP, please TG.

Tedoka
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 16, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Tedoka » Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:05 pm

The Kingdom of Tedoka

To: Rt Hon. Julius Frej Shriver, His Majesty's Minister of Foreign Affairs
Subject: Open Border Policies of The Commonwealth of Yohannes

Salutatations,

I, Valerius Crocetti, speak in behalf of the People of Tedoka

In light of the Government of Yohannes's most recent communiqé, the Kingdom of Tedoka expresses utmost concern over the foreign policy laid out by your Government. We mean no ill will, but no matter how much your statements are reworded, the Council of Ministers wholly agrees that it is at best a coercion to open borders and at worst an outright economic invasion of other territories. The gravity of your pronouncements has warranted me to write myself to your Government about our stance on this matter.

We are not threatened by your Government's declaration not because we are putting a fight, but because our borders are and will always remain open towards all companies and governments who wish to conduct business in our territorial sovereignty. We would just want to ask that you continue to treat our citizens in your employment kindly and we hope that your Government and any entity from your territory will never unjustly exploit our People.

Despite all of these, we hope that this will not affect our relations and partnerships in any way. The Government of Yohannes, its citizens, and its corporations are still welcome in the Kingdom of Tedoka.

Signed,
King of Tedoka
Last edited by Tedoka on Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:00 am, edited 2 times in total.

Shaff
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 07, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Shaff » Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:48 pm

Shaffian Official Telegram

OOC : :rofl:

IC: Your threat of enforcing military actions on nations who refuse your goods entry into their economic and geographical border very much amuses me. Because of this blatant disregard of the right of sovereign nations, The Sultanate Of Shaff has banned its population and its colonies of Samkin, United Sumeria , and SaifKhan from trading with you. Your hostile diplomatic policy has made ban all air and sea travels to your nation.

Any hostile actions toward the Sultanate will be dealt with seriously. Militarily, Socially, Politically, and Economically ,The Sultanate Of Shaff is strong. We would be glad to deter any aggressions toward us or to any other nations in my vicinity.

You have been warned.

I would love to see you try and force me to open up my country to you.

Yours Truley,
Shafeer Khan
Sultan Of Shaff
Last edited by Shaff on Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.

United World Order
Senator

Founded: Jun 16, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby United World Order » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:18 pm

Offical Communique From The Fascist Federation of Unitedia

The Fascist Federation of Unitedia looking over this declaration sent by The Commenwealth of Yohannesia we must respectfully decline this and address this issue that The Commenwealth has developed for the international community and Unitedia. You cannont simply try and force nations to do this just because no nations want to trade with you currently. The Fascist Federation of Unitedia therefore will not be willing to do this task you want to be a burden to everyone. Hencefourth, any and all Yohannesian naval vessels that sail into Unitedian territorial waters will be considered as an act of war and the vessels will be destroyed. No questions asked and no prisoners taken. We hope you understand we don't need nations like yourselves to just go around and use us to feed your economy while we suffer at gunpoint. Please take this into recognition and leave us alone.

Sincerely signed,

The Fascist Federation of Unitedia

The Parthians
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 14, 2004
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby The Parthians » Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:12 pm

Foreign Ministry of the Shahdom of Parthia

Your Excellency,

I will state for the record that the Shahdom of Parthia is completely open to the concept of free trade for any nation which asks for it. We, however, must raise several points of concern regarding your demands.

First, we accept free trade in principle only if the same principle is extended to Parthian goods and services. If there are exceptions the government of your estimable state wishes to make clear, then we must know exactly what they are and whether some kind of arrangement needs to be made as a result of your internal policies. We can, for instance, anticipate you are opposed to the sale of labor contracts or laborers, and are willing to accept free trade agreements regardless of that. Certain other Parthian exports have been restricted by some nations, notably Kahanistan's embargo of Parthian biomedical technology and pharmaceuticals for what they ridiculously term "grotesque breaches of medical ethics." We of course, see this as a simple attempt at protectionism based off unjustifiable socialist tendencies within their government.

Second, we wanted to ensure that free trade should mean free exchange of capital across national boundaries as well, without restrictions on stock trading, opening foreign bank accounts, and acquisition of companies through purchases of stock or simply through sale (though if any exceptions need to exist for this policy, we are willing to discuss those as well).

Finally, we wished to discuss the potential of creating a general common market amongst those who accept the principle of free trade. Perhaps if Parthia can also benefit from access to markets, we'd be willing to offer our military support for this endeavor.

Lord Sassan Savadkouhi,
Foreign Minister of the Shahdom of Parthia
"And as you approach Parthia's prisons..."What's that buzzing noise, a factory?"
"No, that's all the carrion flies near the prison."
-New Edom

Because profit is more important than morality, obviously.

The State of Monavia
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 27, 2006
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby The State of Monavia » Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:29 am

March 20, AD 2012
8:47 A.M. Chalcedon local time (CLT)

Mailroom
Ministry of Foreign Affairs Building
Chalcedon, Capital District
Imperial Federation of the Monavian Empire
Northwest Nova

Correspondence with foreign government and printed copies of public statements formed a large part of the mail processed by the staff of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs mailroom. Correspondence with the Yohannesian Commonwealth had slowly increased over a period of several months, resulting in a steady stream of letters and government publications. The Monavian Embassy received a copy at an hour when it was undergoing some heavy cleaning in the wake of a feast held to celebrate the birthday of one of the attachés, so the Yohannesian declaration of intent was allowed to sit on the Ambassador’s desk for several hours before she finally read it and arranged to have it faxed to Chalcedon.

Within five hours of being issued for distribution, the statement was faxed to the mailroom, where it was processed and sent up to Minister Carter’s office. The Minister did not need to take very much time to read through the message, but he was perplexed by its wording. Yohannesian declarations of this nature used to be worded in a form of legalese that required careful reading and close scrutiny to avoid confusion. The message’s meaning was plain and unadulterated by any form of obfuscation.

9:21 A.M. Chalcedon local time (CLT)

Office of Frank Carter
Fifth floor, Ministry of Foreign Affairs Building
Chalcedon, Monavia

Carter telephoned Ambassador Panay and informed her that he would be personally answering the message and that she should set herself to work keeping him appraised of all things which happened at the embassy. Within a few minutes he had written out a reply, set it down so that he could think without it in his face, and prepared a cup of tea. By ten o’clock that morning, he had edited the reply and prepared an official version on Ministry stationery bearing the letterhead of his office. A few quick strokes from his fountain pen were all that he needed in order to complete the letter.

March 20, 2012

Minister Shriver:

I have written this letter in response to a declaration of intent to maintain the ability of the Yohanneasian Commonwealth to freely trade with her neighbors. The declaration in question is an announcement which your office issued this morning and which bears your signature and seal. It was received at my office as a result of being forwarded to me by Ambassador Panay only an hour ago and merits an immediate reply.

The Imperial Federation has no misgivings about the notion of free trade, nor does my government oppose the protection thereof. Your government’s policy of free trade across its borders is certainly to be lauded and upheld, and because of the prodigious extent of its effect, infringements against it would cause almost as much concern for my government as it would for yours.

I wish to communicate and address two concerns which I have developed as a result of having read through your government’s declaration as issued by your office. The first subject of my concern is the potential costs of implementing and enforcing the terms articulated within your declaration. The second item of concern is the potential risk of unforeseen repercussions which may result from these actions.

The forcible opening of trade with other states bears little economic promise. If those nations which have refused to permit the entry of Yohannesian goods through their borders are as antiquated and insignificant as you have stated, then it is unlikely that they have an adequate ability to offer any products of equal value to those products which the Yohannesian Commonwealth has to offer, and therefore are unable to engage in proper reciprocity. If such efforts as these are aimed at achieving an economic state of quid pro quo then there is a substantial risk that they will be unsuccessful and therefore in vain.

In addition, the widespread employment of force may reduce the favorability with which other governments and markets view the Yohannesian Commonwealth and could possibly result in the closure of those markets through trade sanctions or embargos. Such reactions would necessitate the employment of even more resources to reopen markets that are closed off, resulting in more potential ill will and the closures of yet more markets, which will also have to be reopened. This process is able to continue ad nauseam if the operators of foreign take offence at this course of action, thus ultimately multiplying the costs of this new policy by a large factor.

Furthermore, the direct economic costs of forcibly opening up multiple markets may result in net losses for the Yohannesian Commonwealth. While such losses are likely short-term and may not pose any lasting threat to your people, your declaration of intent stated that, “The recent economic and military crises within the region of Gholgoth have shown the imperative need for Yohannesia to expand her market overseas” (the emphasis is mine). My government considers it inadvisable for you to risk economic losses at a time when your country and its government are at a disadvantage, for any losses incurred by an armed conflict will inevitably cause problems in the course of conducting Monavian trade with the Commonwealth.

In reference to my second point of concern, the opening of markets which presently are locked up due to policies that are not favorable towards your government may result in deleterious effects on the productivity and competitiveness of the Yohannesian economy. If the states which have cause affronts to your government adhere to “antiquated” economic policies, to use your words, then it is likely that their businesses presently do not serve as competitors against your own country’s businesses. By forcibly opening up trade in these locations and thus permitting them to modernize their economies through the acquisition of Yohannesian goods, there is the potential risk of advancing these states into positions of strength from which they can compete with Yohannesian interests, and therefore result in net losses to the industries of the Yohannesian Commonwealth.

Again, my government has no desire to interfere with the implementation of this new trade policy, but as a representative thereof, I have an obligation to communicate to you those factors arising from its future implementation which may result in negative effects which do harm to both of our economies.

Sincerely,

The Right Honorable Frank Carter
Minister of Foreign Affairs
——✠ ✠——THE IMPERIAL FEDERATION OF THE MONAVIAN EMPIRE——✠ ✠——
FACTBOOKS AND LOREROLEPLAY CANONDIPLOMATIC EXCHANGE

MY GUIDES ON ROLEPLAYING DIPLOMACY, ROLEPLAY ETIQUETTE, CREATING A NEW NATION,
LEARNING HOW TO ROLEPLAY (FORTHCOMING), AND ROLEPLAYING EVIL (PART ONE)

Seventeen-Year Veteran of NationStates ∙ Retired N&I Roleplay Mentor
Member of the NS Writing Project and the Roleplayers Union
I am a classical monarchist Orthodox Christian from Phoenix, Arizona.

✠ᴥ✠ᴥ✠

/‾‾ʽʼ‾‾\

Pantocratoria
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Pantocratoria » Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:08 am

PANTOCRATORIAN IMPERIAL GOVERNMENT

Office of the Minister for Foreign Affairs
Department of Foreign Affairs
New Rome

TO:
Rt. Hon. Julius Frej Shriver
HM Foreign & Trade Office
Yohannesian Commonwealth

CC:
Atlantic International Organisation

RE: Open Border and Trade Policy with the Yohannesian Commonwealth

Monsieur Shriver,

Please be informed that the Pantocratorian Empire's customs, trade, immigration and border policies are matters for the exclusive determination of His Imperial Majesty the Emperor, His Majesty's Government, and the Imperial Parliament. Neither His Majesty nor His Majesty's servants will tolerate interference in the same from Yohannesia or her commonwealth.

The Yohannesian Commonwealth already has substantially privileged access to Pantocratoria's markets by virtue of its mutual trade agreement with the Dutch Democratic Republic of Knootoss, with whom Pantocratoria shares a common economic zone and currency. You should be advised that the Imperial Government has no interest in the further extension of Yohannesian economic privileges in Pantocratoria or her dependencies.

Pantocratoria remains both unintimidated and unimpressed with the implied threat of the use of force in your missive. I invite you to withdraw that implied threat before I am forced to advise His Majesty to withdraw His ambassador to Yohannesia for consultations. Kindly advise the other members of your government that any military or economic act of aggression undertaken by Yohannesia or her agents against Pantocratoria or her allies in the Western Atlantic will be successfully resisted.

I look forward to a letter of clarification from you wherein your implied threats are withdrawn and your recognition of the sovereignty of Pantocratoria and her allies with respect to customs, trade, immigration and border policies is extended.

Yours Sincerely,

Cyrus Fastonville
Hon. Sir Cyrus Fastonville KPE MP
Minister for Foreign Affairs
Knight of the Pantocratorian Empire
Member of the Imperial Parliament
Last edited by Pantocratoria on Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fransikania
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 28, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Fransikania » Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:09 am

The Borders of the Imperial Federation of Fransikania is open and have allways been open.

" Julia Deschanel " Prime Minister of the Imperial Federation of Fransikania "
Last edited by Fransikania on Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Ancient Imperial Federation of Fransikania

Ascilonon
Lobbyist

Founded: Apr 01, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Ascilonon » Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:04 am

The Sacred and Serene Empire
of
Ascilonon

Imperial Department of
Foreign Affairs

Official Statement

On behalf of HIH Emperor Tillion of the House of Ostias

In the name of HIH Emperor Tillion of Ascilonon we announce that the Empire will now close the borders on the nation to all those with no visa or other government approved travel documentation will be detained.
This is to preserve the cultural and national borders of the Empire. Any nation found to be assisting or actively seeking illegal and unjust entrance to the Empire will face sanctions, politically and economically.

These actions by HIH Emperor Tillion of Ascilonon government are only in the defense of our cultural heritage.

This legislation was passed by the House of Lords of Ascilonon 1 day of March 2012

By order of High lord Annion la Brasic

High lord of the House of Lords
Of
Ascilonon

And passed by
HIH Emperor Tillion of the House of Ostias

Itanica
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 16, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Itanica » Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:33 am

The Socialist Republic of Itanica
Donec in liberis Gentibus - Home to the free Peoples

After a message from Yohannes landed on my desk this morning about opening my borders to Yohannesian goods and traders, I think this is a great idea that shall benefit the economies of both parties greatly, and as such, I give my full approval to this idea.
As of the sending of this message, Itanica hereby issues the following directives:
- The opening of Itanica's economic borders to any Yohannesian goods and trading entities
- The opening of Itanica's geographical borders to any Yohannesian goods and trading entities
- The establishing of diplomatic relations with Yohannes

-Seth Riley, Premier of the Socialist Republic of Itanica
The Socialist Republic of Itanica
Domus liberis Gentibus - Home to the free People
We are currently at COCON 4. Conscription is in effect for all able men and women above the age of 18.
-CONFLICT CONDITION-
0 - Homeland Conquered
1 - Full Scale War
2 - Major Conflict
3 - Minor Conflict
-> 4 - Conflict Readiness <-
5 - Peacetime
Nuclear Silos are at ARECON 3.
Itanica has 30K active ICBMs and 56K inactive (not loaded into silos / mounted to vehicles) ICBMs.
-ATTACK READINESS CONDITION-
0 - Missiles Launched
1 - Ready for launch
2 - Doors opened
-> 3 - Systems online <-
4 - Power activated
5 - All systems offline
Factbook
Red Star Weaponry
My only puppets are Exotica, Esperanzado and The Mamluks.

Morrdh
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 16, 2008
Democratic Socialists

Postby Morrdh » Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:06 am

TO: The Rt Hon. Julius Frej Shriver, Minister of Foreign Affairs, Yohannesian Commonwealth Empire
FROM: Edmund Vermillion, Prime Minister, Commonwealth of Morrdh
RE: Trade Policy Declaration

Dear Sir,

Whilst the Commonwealth of Morrdh has for a long time been a supporter of the principle of Free Trade, we believe that your recently declared trade policy is a step in the wrong direction.

We do not believe in forcibly opening up a new market or the aggressive takeover of a sovereign nation's own economy, regardless of their economic policy it is simply not a done thing.

With this in mind I have written to inform you that the Morridane government will enact an embargo on Yohannesian goods until such time that your government adopts a less aggressive stance regarding trade.

Signed,

Edmund Vermillion PM,
Commonwealth of Morrdh.
Last edited by Morrdh on Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:08 am, edited 3 times in total.
Irish/Celtic Themed Nation - Factbook

In your Uplink, hijacking your guard band.

Danatha
Diplomat

Founded: May 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Danatha » Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:05 pm

Official Communiqué from the Danathian Ministry of Diplomacy

To: The Rt. Hon. Minister of Foreign Affairs of Yohannes| From: The Rt. Hon. Madison Venn, Minister of Diplomacy of Danatha | Subject: [RE] Imperial Declaration of Open Border Policy |Encryption Level: 75%

Mr. Shriver,

It is my utmost pleasure to inform you that the United Imperial Duchies of Danatha will not close it's economic borders to Yohannes. We will accept any Yohannesian mercantile vessel, with proper permits, into our borders for trade. (However, immigrants must still apply for citizenship through the Ministry of Internal Affairs.) The United Imperial Duchies wishes there to be no conflict between our nations, as such conflict is unnecessary. I apologize if any actions carried out by His Majesty's Government have angered the Commonwealth Empire, as that was not the intention behind said actions.

Also, it is the desire of the United Imperial Duchies to pursue a deeper relationship with the Commonwealth Empire. His Majesty has announced that the Yohannesian Ambassador to Danatha is hereby invited to Quench Imperial Palace for a special meeting. In this meeting, the Yohannesian Ambassador will discuss further agreements between our nations with my staff and I. Perhaps after talks have continued, a treaty can be drafter to further bond our two great nations. Thank you for your time.

Signed,
The Rt. Hon. Madison Venn
Minister of Diplomacy
Last edited by Danatha on Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
First Secretary-General of the Imperial League of Nations
Embassy | Factbook
New Era RP: Sign-Ups
Demonym=Danathian Danathian accent=French accent

✯ ✯ ✯ Help is on its Way: UDL✯ ✯ ✯

Malgrave
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 29, 2011
Democratic Socialists

Postby Malgrave » Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:13 pm

To: The Rt Hon. Julius Frej Shriver, Minister of Foreign Affairs, Yohannesian Commonwealth Empire
From: Prime Minister Rachel Berry, United Kingdom of Malgrave
Subject: Foreign policy declaration
Encryption: Medium

Dear Minister,

Since it's awakening to the international community in the year 2000 the United Kingdom of Malgrave has held the policy of free trade and non-interventionism close to it's heart and although the United Kingdom of Malgrave already has free and open trade and diplomatic relations with the Yohannesian Commonwealth and thus shall not be effected by this new change in foreign policy we do object to it's contents.

Forcing a change in internal trade policies is something not best achieved with the barrel of a gun or by stationing a carrier group of a nations coastal waters. We feel that a country can effectively change a countries internal policies to that of a more favourable nature with simple diplomatic actions, an action that is considerably more cost effective.

Despite this difference in opinion the United Kingdom of Malgrave is incredibly open to continuing economic co-operation between our two nations, the Malgravean economy is an excellent base of operations for regional economic development and should help the Yohannesian Commonwealth in achieving a more diverse economy so it can better ride out poor economic performances in it's home region Gholgoth.

Signed
Prime Minister Rachel Berry
Finance Minister Ernst Hofner

Frenequesta wrote:Well-dressed mad scientists with an edge.

United Kingdom of Malgrave (1910-)
Population: 331 million
GDP Per Capita: 42,000 dollars
Join the Leftist Cooperation and Security Pact

Yohannes
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Yohannes » Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:06 pm

The Honourable Peter Cantrell,

In my capacity as the Minister of Foreign Affairs to His Majesty Aurel III of Alexandria, I shall hereby state my assurance that Yohannesia hold no ambitions with the least of chance whatsoever, be they of an initiative consisting by nature of economic, diplomatic and/or strategic initiative to expand its spherical influence, within the Security Syndicate of The Black Plains. His Majesty’s Government wishes no infringement upon the sovereignty of a nation with an existing amicable trade relationship and open border policy with that of Yohannesia.

His Majesty Aurel III has expressed his confusion, however.

Your statement has announced that "The Security Syndicate does not police its borders and the people residing therein welcome commerce", as quoted from your own words, Sir Cantrell. Now allow me to express His Majesty’s confusion. I cannot but understand, if one shall not ensure a proper watch of one's territorial border, how may one claim that that very border has always been an extension and boundary of one's territorial sovereignty?

Secondly, your statement has announced the possibility that one of the security syndicate’s clients, the Empress and nation of Greater Tezdrian, may oppose Yohannesia and Her Commonwealth Empire. Allow me to express His Majesty’s deep amusement at that very thought. The regime of Greater Tezdrian has always expressed its admiration towards that of Yohannesia and Her Empire, historically extending from the years of the Aberdeen Wave, throughout the late nineteenth century, up to the present. They shall not oppose us, for the Empress and government of Greater Tezdrian have opened the Tezdriani border towards Yohannesia and Her free enterprises.

Yohannesia rule the wave, and shall that be dictated forevermore so.

Inn regard to your last statement; "Lest we go bankrupt. No ill will against you, of course. But security is our business. And business is good. We go where the money is, I'm afraid." Indeed, His Majesty’s Government shall maintain no ill-feeling towards the security syndicate for, quite simply put, accomplishing its honour-bound duty. As stated thereunto, the economy of Black Plains has always been left-wide open for Yohannesian free enterprises and goods. Thus, I shall hereby rightly announce that the security syndicate shall rest most assuredly knowing that Yohannesia and Her Commonwealth Navy has no intention whatsoever to spread Her Wave upon your shore.

Henceforth let it be known upon the twentieth of the third, the year of our Lord two thousand and twelve that this statement has been declared. So May the dictation of His Lord uphold this declaration as authorised by the Commonwealth of the nineteen countries and Her Crown Realms be enforced upon in its entirety.

Last edited by Yohannes on Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Elcric Kcalb
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 23, 2009
Corporate Police State

Postby Elcric Kcalb » Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:44 pm

Official Communique of the Incorporated States of Elcric Kcalb

To: Rt Hon. Julius Frej Shriver, His Majesty's Minister of Foreign Affairs
From: Otto Habsburg, Minister of Foreign Affairs of the Incorporated States of Elcric Kcalb
Encryption: Moderate
Subject: Immediate Acceptance of the Imperial Declaration of Open Border Policy

To the Right and Honorable Julius Frej Shriver, His Majesty's Minister of Foreign Affairs,

It is with utmost jubilation that I, on behalf of the The ÜberFührer and the Incorporated States of Elcric Kcalb, shall announce the acceptance of your policy here in the I.S.E.K. Any and all licensed merchants and traders hailing from the Commonwealth Home Island of Yohannes shall be permitted to dock and conduct business at the ports of the Incorporated States of Elcric Kcalb. Our neglect to announce a similar policy towards your sovereign stems mostly from simply being unaware that the Commonwealth Home Island of Yohannes practiced such a policy at all. The Venom Islands are a rather...Disconnected area, after all. Regardless, this, and our failure to engage in active trade with the Commonwealth Home Island of Yohannes, shall hopefully be remedied completely in the coming months.

Sincerely,
Otto Habsburg, Minister of Foreign Affairs of the Incorporated States of Elcric Kcalb
Last edited by Elcric Kcalb on Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Black Plains
Senator

Founded: Jan 18, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby The Black Plains » Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:34 pm

Telegram transmitted by Rothchild & Killian Telecom. Co. Inc.

To the Rt Hon. Julius Frej Shriver His Majesty's Minister of Foreign Affairs, Dear Sir;

We understand His Majesty's confusion. The Black Plains is not a nation, it is true, but rather an area of land whose borders are delineated naturally. The Black Plains is located on the continent of "The Land of the Many Plains" or, more simply, "Plainsia". The south of our nation is coastal, while the east and west are delineated by the Eastern and Western Mires respectively. In the North, we border The Burgundy Plains (across the River Burgundy the ground doesn't look as black and takes on a more purple color). The Black Plains is essentially the area of land that we consider our ethnic patrimony. All Security Syndicate first class soldiers are recruited from Black Plainsian localities, but we do recruit occupational (second class) soldiers from other areas of Plainsia, namely The Burgundy Plains and The Blue Plains as well as trace amounts from The Beige Plains.

The Burgundy Plains is also adjacent to the Eastern Mire, but on the West borders a separate mire referred to as the Burgundian Mire. We recently just underwent... a sort of succession... event in The Kingdom of the Burgundy Plains. The Burgundy Plains border an inhospitable waste referred to as The Badlands in its North.

The Blue Plains is a Prince Electorate (a noble is elected to the title of Prince-Elect and serves until death) that borders no nation. They border the ocean on three sides and on the other side border the Blue Mire (it is where the Western Mire and the Burgundian Mire amalgamate) and is not itself colored blue, but is named after the distinctly blueish-green grass that The Blue Plains is known for.

I hope this brief explanation helped.

~Peter Cantrell, FM

Novus Niciae
Negotiator

Founded: May 15, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Novus Niciae » Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:06 pm

Reply to Official statement of the Commonwealth Empire,

Any military actions taken to enforce this policy upon us will be viewed as an act of war and expansionism by us and we shall respond in kind.
I urge you to advise you not to attempt to enforce this policy on our enclave on your world. To do so would be an extremely untoward act towards your people.
You however remain free to inspect our regular shipments of trade goods and trade for them.

Colonel Imata Helicos.
Commanding officer , 185th colonial marines
For: Free thought, 2 state solution for Israel, democracy, playing the game.
Against: Totalitarianism, Theocracy, Slavery, Playing the system
Tech Level: FT

Jagalonia
Senator

Founded: Jun 22, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Jagalonia » Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:22 pm

It was a rainy day, in Avalon, but citizens of Jagalonia were still walking the streets, enjoying the light shower after such a long heatwave. Record-setting temperatures within the capitol they were, but they weren't the only problem within the Imperial palace. Titan, the mysterious leader, had recently been informed that one of the world's economic powerhouses, had recently declared a state of agressive open borders (I'm still not entirely sure what to call it...). Knowing that Yohannes was easily a match, and them some, for the Jagalonian fleet, he was still staunch on keeping much of the industry in Jagalonia local. He decided it would be best to close the borders to Yohannes, and discourage other nations from trading with them due to these agressive policies. A missive, was to be written to nations in the world, including Yohannes.

To: Nations of the world.
Subject: Yohannes
CC: Imperial Archives

This message, concerning the Yohannesian Commonwealth, is written in a response to the Yohannese decleration of "Agressively open borders". The Grand Empire of Jagalonia will not tolerate such actions, and will stand up to this international bullying. Jagalonia hereby closes it's borders with the commonwealth, and encourages other nations to do the same. Together, we are strong.

Lord Jarrin Baelif,
Diplomat of Jagalonia.

The entire Jagalonian fleet would be mobilized within a week, and ready to defend against any backlash created by this message. In the mean time, A message was displayed on the omni-web, (The empire's way to communicate to the masses) urging any citizens of the Yohannesian Commonwealth to remove themselves from Jagalonian lands. Provisions would be provided to make it as painless as possible.
Last edited by Jagalonia on Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tokyoni wrote:Hitler's mustache looks weird. Adam Smith was a drunken fatass. There, I've just pwned fascism and capitalism by such "logic".
Edlichbury wrote:OOC: If Knootoss can claim alcohol is a biological weapon, I can claim sentient Milk-People.
Senestrum wrote:Russians took the maximum allowable missile performances from the ABM treaty as design goals.
lolz ensued
Ifreann wrote:
Computer Land wrote:I don't want someone hacking my fridge :meh:

fridge.setTempC(100);
sysout("I'm melting! I'm meeeeelting! Oh what a world, what world!");
I'm Amish...Problem?
Unsigable. >.>
I am a Magnificent Titan who likes to Devour Heroes
All tech.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads