NATION

PASSWORD

[PASSED] Repeal "Animal Cruelty Prevention"

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.
Scion Lop On
Spokesperson

Founded: Feb 27, 2012
Ex-Nation

[PASSED] Repeal "Animal Cruelty Prevention"

Postby Scion Lop On » Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:00 pm

Ambassador Mitchell Ferris stood and presented his newest proposal for consideration by the World Assembly.

The World Assembly,

DETERMINING that "Animal Cruelty Prevention" does not address certain complexities, and that it neglects to place safeguards on certain exceptions that it grants:

• "Animal Cruelty Prevention" considers any "reasonable person" qualified to determine the degree of care appropriate for an animal, rather than relying on expert advice that might be offered by a professional, such as a veterinarian;

• Anyone is allowed to mistreat an animal, so long as the mistreatment is for religious reasons;

• The definition of domestic animals can also be applied to humans, thus legalizing the sacrifice of human beings and other sapient creatures;

• "Wild animals" may be abused or mistreated with impunity;

BELIEVING that these flaws may lead to grave and unintended consequences;

ASSERTING that it is in its best interest to repeal ineffective legislation, such as resolution #145;

Hereby,

REPEALS General Assembly Resolution #145, "Animal Cruelty Prevention."

Co-authored by: [Nation=noflag+short]Knootoss[/nation].

The World Assembly,

1. While not necessarily opposed to preventing cruelty directed towards animals, believes that any resolution seeking to do so must also take into consideration the complexities involved with it, specifically those associated with the fields of agriculture and medicine.

2. Determines that resolution #145 lacks the necessary considerations in regards to the aforementioned topics, and as such, may incite unintended consequences,

3. Asserts that it is in its best interest to repeal ineffective legislation, such as resolution #145,

And to this ends, observes the following flaws within the resolution #145, Animal Cruelty Prevention, specifically:

- that clause 1c states that any "reasonable person" is qualified to determine the degree of care appropriate for an animal, instead of a professional, such as a veterinarian,

- that the religious exemption subverts the entire intent of the resolution by allowing anyone to mistreat an animal, so long as the mistreatment is for religious reasons,

- that the definition of domestic animal applies to humans, thus, legalizing the sacrifice of human beings and other sapient creature,

- that any animal may be euthanized to "end [its] suffering," even if the causes of such suffering can be alleviated through practical means,

- that individual's may abuse or mistreat "wild animals," as stipulated by exemption number five,

4. Desirous of a resolution that may effectively address the prevention of animal cruelty, while simultaneously taking the flaws cited within this repeal into consideration,

5. Resolves that General Assembly Resolution #145, "Animal Cruelty Prevention" is hereby repealed.

I actually plan on submitting this within the next week or so, after its accumulated enough feedback unless there's a compelling argument against it. That being said, please do comment and criticize!

Last edited by Flibbleites on Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:47 am, edited 12 times in total.
Ambassador Mitchell Ferris,
Plenipotentiary and Ambassador-at-large of Sciongrad

Mahaj
Senator

Founded: Dec 08, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Mahaj » Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:08 pm

Animal Cruelty Prevention stemmed from me writing failed drafts on the topic.

I support the repeal and would be willing to help on a replacement.
Last edited by Mahaj on Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aal Izz Well: UDL
<Koth> I'm still going by the assumption that Mahaj is Unibot's kid brother or something
Kandarin(Naivetry): You're going to have a great NS career ahead of you if you want it, Mahaj. :)
<@Eluvatar> Why is SkyDip such a purist raiderist
<+frattastan> Because his region was never raided.
<+maxbarry> EarthAway: I guess I might dabble in raiding just to experience it better, but I would not like to raid regions of natives, so I'd probably be more interested in defense and liberations

Scion Lop On
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Scion Lop On » Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:18 pm

Mahaj wrote:Animal Cruelty Prevention stemmed from me writing failed drafts on the topic.

I've talked to Knootoss in private about doing a repeal and replace, using his proposed replacement from a while back, so if it's an R&R you're looking for, we're a step ahead. :p

Mahaj
Senator

Founded: Dec 08, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Mahaj » Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:35 pm

Scion Lop On wrote:
Mahaj wrote:Animal Cruelty Prevention stemmed from me writing failed drafts on the topic.

I've talked to Knootoss in private about doing a repeal and replace, using his proposed replacement from a while back, so if it's an R&R you're looking for, we're a step ahead. :p

D:
i'm always a step behind :(

Opposed! :P
Aal Izz Well: UDL
<Koth> I'm still going by the assumption that Mahaj is Unibot's kid brother or something
Kandarin(Naivetry): You're going to have a great NS career ahead of you if you want it, Mahaj. :)
<@Eluvatar> Why is SkyDip such a purist raiderist
<+frattastan> Because his region was never raided.
<+maxbarry> EarthAway: I guess I might dabble in raiding just to experience it better, but I would not like to raid regions of natives, so I'd probably be more interested in defense and liberations

Sionis Prioratus
Senator

Founded: Feb 07, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Sionis Prioratus » Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:11 pm

Hmmm. Interesting. I support this.

Yours looking for antipsychotics,
Cathérine Victoire de Saint-Clair
Haute Ambassadrice for the WA for
✡ The Jewish Kingdom of Sionis Prioratus
Daughter of The Late King Adrian the First
In the Name of
Sa Majesté Impériale Dagobert VI de Saint-Clair
A simple truth

Cinistra
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 13, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Cinistra » Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:38 pm

Supported.
"Send forth all legions! Do not stop the attack until the city is taken! Slay them all!"
>Can I invade other people's regions?

Yes. The practice of "region crashing," where a group of nations all move to a region with the aim of seizing the WA Delegate position, is part of the game. Certain groups within NationStates are particularly adroit at this, and can attack very quickly.
>Once I've taken over a region, can I eject everyone else?

You can try. Invader Delegates tend to have very little Regional Influence, which makes ejecting long-time residents difficult. But Delegates can be as kind, generous, evil, or despotic as they wish. It's up to regional residents to elect good Delegates.

Alqania
Minister

Founded: Aug 03, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Alqania » Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:40 pm

"Hmm", Lord Raekevik hummed in sceptical contemplation, "if I have understood the intentions here correctly, the idea is to replace the resolution with a harsher one? I am uncertain as to whether the Queendom would be supportive of such a replacement, perhaps we would find a simple repeal more agreeable, as we tend to dislike the moral decency category and find its resolutions rather lacking in international significance.

Since animals in agriculture, medicine, religion, hunting and so on are excluded from the resolution, could further resolutions not be made on those topics without repealing the ACP?"
Queendom of Alqania
Amor vincit omnia et nos cedamus amori
Former Speaker of the Gay Regional Parliament
Represented in the WA by Ambassador Lord Raekevikinfo
and Deputy Ambassador Princess Christineinfo
Author of GA#178
Member of UNOG and the Stonewall Alliance

Quelesh
Minister

Founded: Jun 09, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Quelesh » Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:33 am

ACP is a deeply flawed resolution, and I wholeheartedly support its repeal.

Alexandria Yadoru
Quelesian WA ambassador

*Alexandria mutters under her breath a few choice words about ACP. While most is unintelligible, a few words and phrases can be made out: "fuck," "moral decency," "god damn," "moral decency," and "shit."*
"I hate mankind, for I think myself one of the best of them, and I know how bad I am." - Samuel Johnson

"Patriotism is your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it." - George Bernard Shaw
Political Compass | Economic Left/Right: -7.75 | Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -10.00

Mallorea and Riva
Game Moderator

Founded: Sep 29, 2010
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Mallorea and Riva » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:19 am

Scion Lop On wrote:
The World Assembly,

1. While not necessarily opposed to preventing cruelty directed towards animals, believes that any resolution seeking to do so must also take into consideration the complexities involved with it, specifically those associated with the fields of agriculture and medicine.

2. Determines that resolution #145 lacks the necessary considerations in regards to the aforementioned topics, and as such, may incite unintended consequences,

3. Asserts that it is in its best interest to repeal ineffective legislation, such as resolution #145,

And to this ends, observes the following flaws within the resolution #145, Animal Cruelty Prevention, specifically:
  1. That clause one, subclause c states that any "reasonable person" is qualified to determine the degree of care appropriate for an animal, instead of a professional, such as a veterinarian,
  2. That the religious exemption subverts the entire intent of the resolution by allowing anyone to mistreat an animal, so long as the mistreatment is for religious reasons,
  3. That the definition of domestic animal applies to humans, thus, legalizing the sacrifice of human beings and other sapient creature,
  4. That any animal may be euthanized to "end [its] suffering," even if the causes of such suffering can be alleviated through practical means,
  5. That individual's may abuse or mistreat "wild animals," as stipulated by exemption number five,

4. Desirous of a resolution that may effectively address the prevention of animal cruelty, while simultaneously taking the flaws cited within this repeal into consideration,

5. Resolves that General Assembly Resolution #145, "Animal Cruelty Prevention" is hereby repealed.

I actually plan on submitting this within the next week or so, after its accumulated enough feedback unless there's a compelling argument against it. That being said, please do comment and criticize!

Fixed some spelling errors, and made it look better according to my personal preferences. Do with it what you will.
Ideological Bulwark #253
Retired Major of The Black Hawks
Retired Charter Nation: Political Affairs in Antarctic Oasis
Retired Colonel of DEN Central Command, now defunct
Former Delegate of The South Pacific, winner of TSP's "Best Dali" Award
Retired Secretary of Defense of Stargate
Terror of The Joint Systems Alliance
Mall Isaraider, son of Tram and Spartz, Brother of Tal and apparently Sev the treacherous bastard.
Frattastan quote of the month: Mall is following those weird beef-only diets now.

Of the Quendi
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 18, 2010
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Of the Quendi » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:31 am

Galadriel i Galadhrim Celebríaniel nos-Malréd pondered the repeal for a moment. Normally it came instinctive to her to support just about any repeal that didn't have potentially damaging effects for her homeland's economy. Still animal rights was something her state, staunchly vegan for centuries, cared about. "The People and Senate of the Quendi ... Supports, the repeal." The SMFAWA said, hesitating only briefly before offering her support. "While I do not agree with all of the repeal proposal as it currently stands, I favor the overall intents sufficiently to look past my objections."
Nation RP name
Arda i Eruhíni (short form)
Alcarinqua ar Meneldëa Arda i Eruhíni i sé Amanaranyë ar Aramanaranyë (long form)

Naughtania
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jan 22, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Naughtania » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:42 am

SUPPORT.
We do need a new resolution, given the previous one's flaws.
Naughtania: "A Greater Law Unto Itself"
Harmony
RIP 1000 CATS
Prussia-Steinbach wrote:Ladies and gentlemen, meet the authoritarian liberal none of you thought existed.

Scion Lop On
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Scion Lop On » Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:31 pm

Alqania wrote:"Hmm", Lord Raekevik hummed in sceptical contemplation, "if I have understood the intentions here correctly, the idea is to replace the resolution with a harsher one? I am uncertain as to whether the Queendom would be supportive of such a replacement, perhaps we would find a simple repeal more agreeable, as we tend to dislike the moral decency category and find its resolutions rather lacking in international significance.

Since animals in agriculture, medicine, religion, hunting and so on are excluded from the resolution, could further resolutions not be made on those topics without repealing the ACP?"

Well, we want a harsher replacement, inasmuch as it prevents the abuses permitted within the current text. In theory, certain aspects of the repeal could be partially addressed through another resolution, but everything included in the "exemption" section of ACP are explicitly outlined, such as the religious exemption, and the erroneous euthanasia exception. If you're interested in the proposed replacement, you can find it in the OP, or here.

Mallorea and Riva wrote:Fixed some spelling errors, and made it look better according to my personal preferences. Do with it what you will.

Thanks! I think I'll keep the current format (with a few changes, perhaps), but I've changed all of the spelling mistakes. :p

Naughtania wrote:SUPPORT.
We do need a new resolution, given the previous one's flaws.

Sionis Prioratus wrote:Hmmm. Interesting. I support this.

Yours looking for antipsychotics,

Cinistra wrote:Supported.

Quelesh wrote:ACP is a deeply flawed resolution, and I wholeheartedly support its repeal.

Of the Quendi wrote:Galadriel i Galadhrim Celebríaniel nos-Malréd pondered the repeal for a moment. Normally it came instinctive to her to support just about any repeal that didn't have potentially damaging effects for her homeland's economy. Still animal rights was something her state, staunchly vegan for centuries, cared about. "The People and Senate of the Quendi ... Supports, the repeal." The SMFAWA said, hesitating only briefly before offering her support. "While I do not agree with all of the repeal proposal as it currently stands, I favor the overall intents sufficiently to look past my objections."

Thank you all for the support!

Scion Lop On
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Scion Lop On » Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:52 pm

Unless there are any objections, this will be submitted Friday.

Mallorea and Riva
Game Moderator

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Mallorea and Riva » Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:02 pm

Kill the fourth clause.
Ideological Bulwark #253
Mall Isaraider, son of Tram and Spartz, Brother of Tal and apparently Sev the treacherous bastard.
Frattastan quote of the month: Mall is following those weird beef-only diets now.

Scion Lop On
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Scion Lop On » Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:05 pm

Mallorea and Riva wrote:Kill the fourth clause.

Hmm. I suppose. It doesn't really detract from the argument made, although I do think that the repeal should mention that we're supportive of the proposed replacement.
Last edited by Scion Lop On on Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Camwood
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 27, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Camwood » Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:06 pm

Ah I was wondering when this was going to show up! FOR the repeal. Good Idea Mate.
The Republic of Camwood
Demonym: Camian | Trigramme: CMW | Population: 80 Million
Air Camwood
cbcsport.cmw
Champions of:
Keisler Cup - U13 Baseball Tournament
Fourth
WLC 12
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take." -Wayne Gretzky

Scion Lop On
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Scion Lop On » Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:36 pm

Submitted for a test run here.
Last edited by Scion Lop On on Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mallorea and Riva
Game Moderator

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Mallorea and Riva » Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:26 pm

Scion Lop On wrote:Submitted for a test run here.

While I stand behind a repeal, I must stand against the currently submitted version due to the technical error in it's listing.
Ideological Bulwark #253

Scion Lop On
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Scion Lop On » Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:30 am

Mallorea and Riva wrote:
Scion Lop On wrote:Submitted for a test run here.

While I stand behind a repeal, I must stand against the currently submitted version due to the technical error in it's listing.

I noticed it as well; this as initially going to be campaigned for, but I decided that it was too trivial to bother the mods with, so I'm using it as a quality-gauging litmus test instead. Anyway, I've changed clause four, as per your request, to something that is hopefully more palatable.
Last edited by Scion Lop On on Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Knootoss
Senator

Founded: Antiquity
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Knootoss » Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:21 pm

Support the cause but not the wordiness. I've polished the language a bit using my "less is better" approach:

The World Assembly,

CONSIDERING that "Animal Cruelty Prevention" does not address certain complexities:

• "Animal Cruelty Prevention" considers any "reasonable person" qualified to determine the degree of care appropriate for an animal, rather than relying on expert advice that might be offered by a professional, such as a veterinarian;
  • Anyone is allowed to mistreat an animal, so long as the mistreatment is for religious reasons;
  • The definition of domestic animals can also be applied to humans, thus legalizing the sacrifice of human beings and other sapient creatures;

Hereby,

REPEALS General Assembly Resolution #145, "Animal Cruelty Prevention".
Last edited by Knootoss on Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:27 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Ideological Bulwark #7 - RPed population preserves relative population sizes. Webgame population / 100 is used by default. If this doesn't work for you and it is relevant to our RP, please TG.

Scion Lop On
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Scion Lop On » Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:38 am

Knootoss wrote:Support the cause but not the wordiness. I've polished the language a bit using my "less is better" approach:

The World Assembly,

CONSIDERING that "Animal Cruelty Prevention" does not address certain complexities:

Hereby,

REPEALS General Assembly Resolution #145, "Animal Cruelty Prevention".

Much more succinct. I might add a bit to it, just for stylistic purposes, but overall, this is much better! Thank you!

Knootoss
Senator

Postby Knootoss » Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:51 am

A resolution needs to be longer for stylistic purposes? Dilutes the power of the words!

Ideological Bulwark #7 - RPed population preserves relative population sizes. Webgame population / 100 is used by default. If this doesn't work for you and it is relevant to our RP, please TG.

Scion Lop On
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Scion Lop On » Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:59 am

Knootoss wrote:A resolution needs to be longer for stylistic purposes? Dilutes the power of the words!

Nowhere near as long as the original. Just a single clause at the end and a bit of spacing; shouldn't dilute the power too much. :p

Knootoss
Senator

Postby Knootoss » Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:09 am

Oh yeah, this is good.

Libraria and Ausitoria
Negotiator

Founded: May 30, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Libraria and Ausitoria » Sun Mar 25, 2012 3:19 am

We approve.
The Aestorian Commonwealth - Pax Prosperitas - Gloria in Maere - (Factbook)

Disclaimer: Notwithstanding any mention of their nations, Ausitoria and its canon does not exist nor impact the canon of many IFC & SACTO & closed-region nations; and it is harassment to presume it does. However in accordance with my open-door policy the converse does not apply: they still impact Ausitoria's canon.
○ Commonwealth Capital (Bank) ○ ○ Commonwealth Connect (Bank Treaty) ○ ○ SeaScape (Shipping & Energy) ○
(██████████████████████████████║║◙█[Θ]█]◙◙◙◙◙[█]

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives