NATION

PASSWORD

KONY 2012

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
1000 Cats
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 17, 2011
Ex-Nation

KONY 2012

Postby 1000 Cats » Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:20 pm

LATEST UPDATES:
March 15: Leader of the Ugandan Democratic Party response to KONY 2012.
March 12: Invisible Children's CEO talks specifically about the group's finances.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4MnpzG5Sqc

Thought I would post this here and see what NSG thinks. I'm typically very non-interventionist, but a couple things about this fellow as presented in this documentary have furrowed my brow. For one thing, his only cause in abducting these tens of thousands of children seems to be to retain the power he currently has - not political, just military strength. For another, the only reason people like this exist is because of current international intervention going off the record: this isn't mentioned in the film, but Uganda does not manufacture Soviet and American arms.

Anyway, a very well-done video, whatever your stance, and I highly recommend everyone watch it whether or not it incites you to the action the documentary is suggesting. It says some very interesting things about our globalized world, especially through social networking, and what it means for us when it comes to issues like this, especially in how we can deal with it as individuals who are not in politics or relevant professional fields. It'd be neat to see some discussion on that too. Can the internet, when used properly, incite effective action on this level?
Last edited by 1000 Cats on Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:52 am, edited 4 times in total.
Your friendly neighborhood zoophile. I'm here to answer questions. Also, we have a region: Zoo!

Norstal wrote:You are a hatiater: one who radiates hate.

Meryuma wrote:No one is more of a cat person than 1000 Cats!

FST wrote:Any sexual desires which can be satiated within a healthy and consensual way should be freed from shame. Bizarre kinks and fetishes are acceptable and nothing to be ashamed of as long as they are acted out in a context where everyone consents and no one is hurt.
Factbook/Q&A | RP | Conlang | Short Story

The Truth and Light
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jan 12, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby The Truth and Light » Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:32 pm

The people from Invisible Children came to my church last Sunday and showed us this video. I found it very emotional, but I don't know what I'm supposed to do. How should I act on what I saw?

1000 Cats
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby 1000 Cats » Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:38 pm

The Truth and Light wrote:The people from Invisible Children came to my church last Sunday and showed us this video. I found it very emotional, but I don't know what I'm supposed to do. How should I act on what I saw?

They have that bit on donations and the kit you get in return for helping to advertise the movement, and that scene they're planning on making on April 20th (which I'll be looking forward to to see how far it goes). Also, really, just posting the video around. The whole idea is to make Kony a household name. I'd certainly never heard of him.
Your friendly neighborhood zoophile. I'm here to answer questions. Also, we have a region: Zoo!

FST wrote:Any sexual desires which can be satiated within a healthy and consensual way should be freed from shame. Bizarre kinks and fetishes are acceptable and nothing to be ashamed of as long as they are acted out in a context where everyone consents and no one is hurt.

Mike the Progressive
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Oct 27, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Mike the Progressive » Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:43 pm

How would this affect the arrest of the man, except to create awareness and pressure on our politicians (I didn't watch the entire thing)?

IF that was the intent, bravo, and I am glad. Interventionism is necessary.
Last edited by Mike the Progressive on Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Yuktova
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 09, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Yuktova » Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:59 pm

I think this would be the only modern war I would support. Kony needs to be stopped, either by a bullet to the head, or arresting him.
I'm Morrissey... Nice to meet you.
Goldsaver said: This is murder, not a romantic date!

1000 Cats
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby 1000 Cats » Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:08 pm

Mike the Progressive wrote:How would this affect the arrest of the man, except to create awareness and pressure on our politicians (I didn't watch the entire thing)?

Yes, that was the intent. :)

Gravonia
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 30, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Gravonia » Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:38 pm

I can't be arsed to watch a half hour video. What's it about?
Last edited by Gravonia on Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We in Gravonia have set our sights very low, so low in fact that even glory will have in it an echo of failure.

Norstal
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 07, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Norstal » Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:50 pm

1000 Cats wrote:
Mike the Progressive wrote:How would this affect the arrest of the man, except to create awareness and pressure on our politicians (I didn't watch the entire thing)?

Yes, that was the intent. :)

Our, or at least my, politicians are already doing something about it:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lord%27s_R ... covery_Act

This is probably one of those things where an open war (e.g Iraq War) would not help anything.
Toronto Sun wrote:Best poster ever. ★★★★★

New York Times wrote:No one can beat him in debates. 5/5.

IGN wrote:Literally the best game I've ever played. 10/10

NSG Public wrote:What a fucking douchebag.

Supreme Chairman for Life of the Itty Bitty Kitty Committee

Norstal
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 07, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Norstal » Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:51 pm

Gravonia wrote:I can't be arsed to watch a half hour video. What's it about?

Some guy named Kony kidnaps children and make them fight in wars due to a message from the Christian god and other vague religions.
Last edited by Norstal on Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Toronto Sun wrote:Best poster ever. ★★★★★

New York Times wrote:No one can beat him in debates. 5/5.

IGN wrote:Literally the best game I've ever played. 10/10

NSG Public wrote:What a fucking douchebag.

Supreme Chairman for Life of the Itty Bitty Kitty Committee

Raven
Envoy

Founded: Oct 12, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Raven » Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:11 pm

And this, gentlemen, is what Christianism causes. Millions of deaths, thousands of abuses, wars, persecutions, etc. just because of "the word" of a being that don't even exist.
The Ravenian Imperial Commonwealth (SWtech)
Factbook | NSWiki | Map | Other things

Buffett and Colbert
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 05, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Buffett and Colbert » Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:19 pm

I bought their Action Kit and plan to participate in the event on April 20th. I'm also helping to plan further events in my school.
If the knowledge isn't useful, you haven't found the lesson yet. ~Iniika
You-Gi-Owe wrote:If someone were to ask me about your online persona as a standard of your "date-ability", I'd rate you as "worth investigating further & passionate about beliefs". But, enough of the idle speculation on why you didn't score with the opposite gender.

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Buffett and Colbert wrote:Clever, but your Jedi mind tricks don't work on me.

His Jedi mind tricks are insignificant compared to the power of Buffy's sex appeal.
Keronians wrote:
Buffett and Colbert wrote:My law class took my virginity. And it was 100% consensual.

I accuse your precious law class of statutory rape.

Fedeledland
Senator

Founded: Mar 27, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Fedeledland » Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:33 pm

I want to have an action plan at school on April, maybe convince my Social Studies teacher to do something.

Raven wrote:And this, gentlemen, is what Christianism causes. Millions of deaths, thousands of abuses, wars, persecutions, etc. just because of "the word" of a being that don't even exist.

Come on, don't blame a few billion people for an extremist cause.
Factbook (FanT·FT)
Embassies
Political Info (OOC)
WARNING: My writing might contain amounts of extreme pomp and purple prose. Read at your own caution.
QUE VIVA EL REY!

The Truth and Light
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jan 12, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby The Truth and Light » Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:36 pm

Buffett and Colbert wrote:I bought their Action Kit and plan to participate in the event on April 20th. I'm also helping to plan further events in my school.

Good for you. I wanted to see if a teacher could help me get something started at my school, but I didn't know who to ask. :oops:

Las Trinidades
Lobbyist

Founded: Feb 16, 2012
Ex-Nation

STOP JOSEPH KONY 2012 *SPREAD IT FAST*

Postby Las Trinidades » Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:44 pm

I know these are just words, but words are what lead revolutions!! Like egypt, libya, etc.

http://vimeo.com/37119711

Look at that link. Stop him, spread the word, Educate people, contact officials, etc!!!
"We have failed to grasp the fact that mankind is becoming a single unit, and that for a unit to fight against itself is suicide. - Havelock Ellis"

"Here, the men's only choice is between [Enemy] bullets and ours. But there's another way. The way of courage. The way of love of the Motherland. We must publish the army newspaper again. We must tell magnificent stories, stories that extol sacrifice, bravery. We must make them believe in the victory. We must give them hope, pride, a desire to fight. Yes... we need to make examples. But examples to *follow*. What we need... are heroes." - Danilov, "Enemy at the Gate"

Raven
Envoy

Founded: Oct 12, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Raven » Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:45 pm

Fedeledland wrote:I want to have an action plan at school on April, maybe convince my Social Studies teacher to do something.

Raven wrote:And this, gentlemen, is what Christianism causes. Millions of deaths, thousands of abuses, wars, persecutions, etc. just because of "the word" of a being that don't even exist.

Come on, don't blame a few billion people for an extremist cause.

I don't blame the people who let themselves being brainwashed - if so, it's their problem. I blame the religion for being such a piece of crap.
The Ravenian Imperial Commonwealth (SWtech)
Factbook | NSWiki | Map | Other things

Tubbsalot
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 17, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Tubbsalot » Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:49 pm

Raven wrote:I don't blame the people who let themselves being brainwashed - if so, it's their problem. I blame the religion for being such a piece of crap.

Are you joking? "I don't blame those animal rights activists for slaughtering everyone on a large commercial farm - it's just that animal rights activism is evil."

Quit making atheists look bad.
"Twats love flags." - Yootopia

Tubbsalot
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 17, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Tubbsalot » Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:49 pm

Oh, good, a double post.
Last edited by Tubbsalot on Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Pretend Pub
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 10, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Pretend Pub » Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:49 pm

No, it doesn't, since Christianity doesn't believe in a god.

Kony is a Paulinist, which means he has rejected the Christ.
Alter ego of Bluth Corporation

Mike the Progressive
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Mike the Progressive » Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:51 pm

Norstal wrote:
1000 Cats wrote:Yes, that was the intent. :)

Our, or at least my, politicians are already doing something about it:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lord%27s_R ... covery_Act

This is probably one of those things where an open war (e.g Iraq War) would not help anything.

Yes, and the fantastically stupid thing was that when that was announced, Obama sending troops there, people were going "derr, Obama=Bush/Texas Hitler."

Death Metal
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 22, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Death Metal » Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:52 pm

Meh, still less insane than Ron Paul is.
Only here when I'm VERY VERY VERY bored now.
(Trump is Reagan 2.0: A nationalistic bimbo who will ruin America.)
Death Metal: A nation founded on the most powerful force in the world: METAL! \m/
A non-idealist centre-leftist

Alts: Ronpaulatia, Bisonopolis, Iga, Gygaxia, The Children of Skyrim, Tinfoil Fedoras

Pro: Civil Equality, Scaled Income Taxes, Centralized Govtt, Moderate Business Regulations, Heavy Metal
Con: Censorship in any medium, Sales Tax, Flat Tax, Small Govt, Overly Large Govt, Laissez Faire, AutoTuner.

I support Obama. And so would FA Hayek.

34 arguments Libertarians (and sometimes AnCaps) make, and why they are wrong.

Death Metal
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 22, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Death Metal » Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:54 pm

Still less of an Un-American radical than Ron Paul is. And just as electable.
Only here when I'm VERY VERY VERY bored now.
(Trump is Reagan 2.0: A nationalistic bimbo who will ruin America.)
Death Metal: A nation founded on the most powerful force in the world: METAL! \m/
A non-idealist centre-leftist

Alts: Ronpaulatia, Bisonopolis, Iga, Gygaxia, The Children of Skyrim, Tinfoil Fedoras

Pro: Civil Equality, Scaled Income Taxes, Centralized Govtt, Moderate Business Regulations, Heavy Metal
Con: Censorship in any medium, Sales Tax, Flat Tax, Small Govt, Overly Large Govt, Laissez Faire, AutoTuner.

I support Obama. And so would FA Hayek.

34 arguments Libertarians (and sometimes AnCaps) make, and why they are wrong.

Revolutopia
Negotiator

Founded: May 25, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Revolutopia » Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:56 pm

Las Trinidades wrote:I know these are just words, but words are what lead revolutions!! Like egypt, libya, etc.

http://vimeo.com/37119711

Look at that link. Stop him, spread the word, Educate people, contact officials, etc!!!

Who is Joseph Kony as I am not watching a 30 minute video, also what is the discussion for this thread?
The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little.-FDR

Economic Left/Right: -3.12|Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.49

Who is Tom Joad?

Wikkiwallana
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 21, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Wikkiwallana » Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:56 pm

Care to post a summary of the video and what makes his words so bad? I'm not going to watch random videos every time someone tells me too.
Proud Scalawag and Statist!

Please don't confuse my country for my politics; my country is being run as a parody, my posts aren't.
Dumb Ideologies wrote:Halt!
Just because these people are stupid, wrong and highly dangerous does not mean you have the right to make them feel sad.
Xenohumanity wrote:
Nulono wrote:Snip
I'm a pro-lifer who runs a nation of dragon-men...
And even I think that's stupid.
Avenio wrote:Just so you know, the use of the term 'sheep' 'sheeple' or any other herd animal-based terminology in conjunction with an exhortation to 'think outside the box' or stop going along with groupthink generally indicates that the speaker is actually more closed-minded on the subject than the people that he/she is addressing. At least, in my experience at least.

Mike the Progressive
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Mike the Progressive » Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:56 pm

Death Metal wrote:Still less of an Un-American radical than Ron Paul is. And just as electable.

Er, Ron Paul isn't that insane.

Astrolinium
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 05, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Astrolinium » Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:59 pm

No, this is what being batshit insane causes.
Batshit will find a way. This time, that way just happens to be religious fervor. Tomorrow, it might be atheism. The next, rabid antidisestablishmentarianism.

The Pretend Pub wrote:

No, it doesn't, since Christianity doesn't believe in a god.

Kony is a Paulinist, which means he has rejected the Christ.

You. Nobody else holds this viewpoint, I'm pretty sure. At the very least, put something in your sig about it, because all you're doing is confusing the living daylights out of new people.
The Sublime Island Kingdom of Astrolinium
Ilia Franchisco Attore, King Attorio Maldive III
North Carolina | NSIndex Page | Embassies
Pop: 3,082 | Tech: MT | DEFCON: 5-4-3-2-1
SEE YOU SPACE COWBOY...
About Me: Ravenclaw, Gay, Cis Male, 5’4”.
"Don't you forget about me."

Ex-Delegate of Ankh Mauta | NSG Sodomy Club
Minor Acolyte of the Vast Jewlluminati Conspiracy™

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General