NATION

PASSWORD

Total War: Rule Britannia, literally.

A coffee shop for those who like to discuss art, music, books, movies, TV, each other's own works, and existential angst.

Favorite Thrones of Britannia Faction?

The Anglo-Saxons
37%
The Welsh Kingdoms
21%
The Gaels
16%
The Great Viking Army
15%
The Viking Sea Kings
11%

Total votes : 75

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Total War: Rule Britannia, literally.

Postby Genivaria » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:12 am

Ok now, this thread is going to be about one of my favorite video game series. The Total War games.
Rome.

Medieval.

Empire.

Thousands of years of history, at your finger tips. This. Series. Is. AWESOME!

Ahem. :oops:
I've played Rome and Medieval 2 myself.
My favorite Rome factions are Rome, the Seleucids and the Parthians, my favorite Medieval 2 factions are England and Venice.
Annnnnd GO!

Rome Multiplayer Roster is as follows:
Nationstates/ Game Name
Genivaria / Hunter00
Conservative Morality / Vae Victis
Onekawa-Nukanor / SuperDJBling
New Sapienta / A Gentleman
Lunas Legion/ Enforcer
Noders/ Noders
United Marxist Nations/ Augustus_Caesar
Last edited by Genivaria on Fri May 04, 2018 7:41 pm, edited 20 times in total.

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Founded: Aug 24, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:16 am

Rome - Julii

Medieval II - England or Milan

Shogun II - Oda

Empire/Napoleon - No one cares because they were piss

Rome was the best of the lot, even better than Shogun II (A close second). Medieval II was also great. Empire was terrible, and Napoleon was only marginally better.
On the hate train. Choo choo, bitches. Bi-Polar. Proud Crypto-Fascist and Turbo Progressive. Dirty Étatist. Lowly Humanities Major. NSG's Best Liberal.
Caesar and Imperator of RWDT
Got a blog up again. || An NS Writing Discussion

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:19 am

Conserative Morality wrote:Rome - Julii

Medieval II - England or Milan

Shogun II - Oda

Empire/Napoleon - No one cares because they were piss

Rome was the best of the lot, even better than Shogun II (A close second). Medieval II was also great. Empire was terrible, and Napoleon was only marginally better.

Thats disappointing. What was wrong with Empire?

Forsher
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jan 30, 2012
New York Times Democracy

Postby Forsher » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:19 am

I never really gave Rome a fair go. Instead I have just stuck to subjecting Europe to the control of the Danes in Medieval: Total War (the first one).
That it Could be What it Is, Is What it Is

Stop making shit up, though. Links, or it's a God-damn lie and you know it.

The normie life is heteronormie

We won't know until 2053 when it'll be really obvious what he should've done. [...] We have no option but to guess.

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:20 am

Forsher wrote:I never really gave Rome a fair go. Instead I have just stuck to subjecting Europe to the control of the Danes in Medieval: Total War (the first one).

Dat Axe.
Last edited by Genivaria on Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:24 am, edited 2 times in total.

Anemos Major
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jun 01, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Anemos Major » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:22 am

Shogun 1: Uesugi.
Rome: Parthians
Rome: BB: Eastern Roman Empire
Medieval 2: France
Medieval 2: Kingdoms: Wales
Empire: France
Napoleon: France
Shogun 2: Chosokabe

Forsher
Postmaster of the Fleet

New York Times Democracy

Postby Forsher » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:23 am

Genivaria wrote:
Forsher wrote:I never really gave Rome a fair go. Instead I have just stuck to subjecting Europe to the control of the Danes in Medieval: Total War (the first one).

Dat Axe.

My last game saw me field armies that almost exclusively used axes. Not that I ever commanded them, I'm too lazy.
Last edited by Forsher on Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

We won't know until 2053 when it'll be really obvious what he should've done. [...] We have no option but to guess.

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:23 am

Anemos Major wrote:Shogun 1: Uesugi.
Rome: Parthians
Rome: BB: Eastern Roman Empire
Medieval 2: France
Medieval 2: Kingdoms: Wales
Empire: France
Napoleon: France
Shogun 2: Chosokabe

Someone likes archers. :D

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:24 am

I gotta ask, whats your most satisfying gaming moment? Mine is having my English Longbowman in front of a bridge and then watch as the 'Mighty Mongol Horde' impales themselves. :lol2:

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:24 am

Genivaria wrote:Thats disappointing. What was wrong with Empire?

Poorly optimized, UI was terrible in both melee and ranged combat, sieges were tedious, unit variety was sorely lacking, the units themselves were quite ugly, unlike the previous games, and the characters on the strategic map were boring and could have maybe three traits. The whole thing was terrible.
On the hate train. Choo choo, bitches. Bi-Polar. Proud Crypto-Fascist and Turbo Progressive. Dirty Étatist. Lowly Humanities Major. NSG's Best Liberal.

Forsher
Postmaster of the Fleet

New York Times Democracy

Postby Forsher » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:26 am

Genivaria wrote:I gotta ask, whats your most satisfying gaming moment? Mine is having my English Longbowman in front of a bridge and then watch as the 'Mighty Mongol Horde' impales themselves. :lol2:

Well, there was this one battle where I was crazily outnumbered, won the initial conflict, forgot I was outnumbered and attempted to clean them up. I lost. I was proud of the first bit, though. I am awful when personally commanding the battles.

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:26 am

Conserative Morality wrote:
Genivaria wrote:Thats disappointing. What was wrong with Empire?

Poorly optimized, UI was terrible in both melee and ranged combat, sieges were tedious, unit variety was sorely lacking, the units themselves were quite ugly, unlike the previous games, and the characters on the strategic map were boring and could have maybe three traits. The whole thing was terrible.

I'm sorry to hear that. Oh hey, you said you wanted to see Africa?
Check out this faction preview for this mod. The Mali Empire.
http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=293618

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:28 am

Forsher wrote:
Genivaria wrote:I gotta ask, whats your most satisfying gaming moment? Mine is having my English Longbowman in front of a bridge and then watch as the 'Mighty Mongol Horde' impales themselves. :lol2:

Well, there was this one battle where I was crazily outnumbered, won the initial conflict, forgot I was outnumbered and attempted to clean them up. I lost. I was proud of the first bit, though. I am awful when personally commanding the battles.

You just have to stay calm and assess the situation. Its like speed chess.
My newest tactic playing as Carthage is to stretch out my infantry line and put then in defensive mode.
Then wait until the enemy army crashes into my line.
Then I bring out my elephants on the side and run them down the enemy line like a giant bowling ball. :lol2:
THAT is satisfying to see.

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:30 am

RTW, defending Pavia against a huge Gallic army with a single unit of Town Watch. I thought "I'll take down as many of the bastards as I can before I fall!" and ended up routing the whole army.

M2TW, just messing around in a custom skirmish, I set up a single full stack of pikemen of various countries (One of the mods that let you use rebels) fighting against three full stacks of the flower of the chivalry of Europe - Germans, English, and French.

I don't even remember if I won, but I do remember that it was GLORIOUS.

Shogun II - Playing online, I managed to lure some poor fool into getting into a knock-down drag-out fight with some of my troops with Kisho training... In a valley. I sealed up all the entrances with spearmen, let my units with stealth training die horribly as I arranged my troops, and set up archers and gunners on the cliffs.

My victory was beautiful.

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:31 am

Genivaria wrote:You just have to stay calm and assess the situation. Its like speed chess.
My newest tactic playing as Carthage is to stretch out my infantry line and put then in defensive mode.
Then I bring out my elephants on the side and run them down the enemy line like a giant bowling ball. :lol2:

Urgh. I've never been able to utilize any sort of cavalry, horse or otherwise. It's my one weakness.

Forsher
Postmaster of the Fleet

New York Times Democracy

Postby Forsher » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:31 am

Genivaria wrote:
Forsher wrote:

You just have to stay calm and assess the situation. Its like speed chess.

I can play Rome or AOEIII, I choose to play the latter as I find MTW easier. I was slightly better in Rome, slightly (the auto-command doesn't go my way as often).

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:32 am

RTW, defending Pavia against a huge Gallic army with a single unit of Town Watch. I thought "I'll take down as many of the bastards as I can before I fall!" and ended up routing the whole army.

M2TW, just messing around in a custom skirmish, I set up a single full stack of pikemen of various countries (One of the mods that let you use rebels) fighting against three full stacks of the flower of the chivalry of Europe - Germans, English, and French.

I don't even remember if I won, but I do remember that it was GLORIOUS.

Shogun II - Playing online, I managed to lure some poor fool into getting into a knock-down drag-out fight with some of my troops with Kisho training... In a valley. I sealed up all the entrances with spearmen, let my units with stealth training die horribly as I arranged my troops, and set up archers and gunners on the cliffs.

My victory was beautiful.

Caught in a crossfire, in the open, and from above. Fucking ouch. Well done.

Norstal
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 07, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Norstal » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:32 am

Conserative Morality wrote:Empire/Napoleon - No one cares because they were piss

Yeah, a lot of people think that.

I'm somewhat inclined to agree. I can just spam line infantry and win, whilst if I try to do it with Calvary they get instantly killed. >_>
Toronto Sun wrote:Best poster ever. ★★★★★

New York Times wrote:No one can beat him in debates. 5/5.

IGN wrote:Literally the best game I've ever played. 10/10

NSG Public wrote:What a fucking douchebag.

Supreme Chairman for Life of the Itty Bitty Kitty Committee

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:33 am

Genivaria wrote:I'm sorry to hear that. Oh hey, you said you wanted to see Africa?
Check out this faction preview for this mod. The Mali Empire.
http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=293618

I'll have to keep track of this one.

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:34 am

Genivaria wrote:You just have to stay calm and assess the situation. Its like speed chess.

Urgh. I've never been able to utilize any sort of cavalry, horse or otherwise. It's my one weakness.

Even the Romans and English need cavalry if your going to use even the most standard of Hammer and Anvil tactics.
You end up losing way more men then you need to if you can't break the enemies morale by charging them in the rear or flank with cavalry.

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:35 am

Genivaria wrote:Caught in a crossfire, in the open, and from above. Fucking ouch. Well done.

Heh, it was pretty brutal. :p

They eventually broke through with some cavalry on one of the entrances that had just spearmen guarding it, but since I kept some spearmen in reserve, it didn't really matter much. All I use in Shogun II for melee are spearmen, really. :lol:

Norstal
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 07, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Norstal » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:35 am

Shogun II online. I got my arse kicked during a siege battle (I'm attacking). I only have a few units left right outside the interior castle door and me being outnumbered, the enemy decided to charge at me.

However, their units had such low morale, the moment they went out the castle doors and sees my units, they all ran away. I won. :rofl:
Last edited by Norstal on Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Toronto Sun wrote:Best poster ever. ★★★★★

New York Times wrote:No one can beat him in debates. 5/5.

IGN wrote:Literally the best game I've ever played. 10/10

NSG Public wrote:What a fucking douchebag.

Supreme Chairman for Life of the Itty Bitty Kitty Committee

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:36 am

Genivaria wrote:Caught in a crossfire, in the open, and from above. Fucking ouch. Well done.

Heh, it was pretty brutal. :p

They eventually broke through with some cavalry on one of the entrances that had just spearmen guarding it, but since I kept some spearmen in reserve, it didn't really matter much. All I use in Shogun II for melee are spearmen, really. :lol:

Only using low-born men. Your a man after my own heart, fuck the nobles.

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:37 am

Genivaria wrote:Even the Romans and English need cavalry if your going to use even the most standard of Hammer and Anvil tactics.
You end up losing way more men then you need to if you can't break the enemies morale by charging them in the rear or flank with cavalry.

Not if you know how to use infantry. People tend to treat infantry like they're static, but infantry have their true strength in mobility. I play Shogun II online with no cav except my general (Who I keep well away from foolish charges) and I win 2/3s of the time.

Anemos Major
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jun 01, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Anemos Major » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:37 am

Campaign, fighting the last remaining English on Medieval 2 as the French, and fielding an all-knight army. I slowly surrounded the enemy - the charge was the most glorious thing I've ever seen.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Arts & Fiction