NATION

PASSWORD

General Music Discussion

A coffee shop for those who like to discuss art, music, books, movies, TV, each other's own works, and existential angst.
Azrael
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 19, 2011
Ex-Nation

General Music Discussion

Postby Azrael » Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:20 pm

Anyway, I've decided to make a thread were people can just have general conversations about music (favorite bands, new albums, likes and dislikes, etc.) The thing that I want to have separate this thread from other music threads is that I want people to feel free to talk about general opinions on music with each other, rather than one large main idea.

Uh yeah, I assume no one will really read this OP since most of us all know why we're here ;)
Last edited by Azrael on Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:32 am, edited 6 times in total.
If nothing exists, where did this anger come from?

Triumvirate of Mars
Envoy

Founded: Jan 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Triumvirate of Mars » Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:23 pm

So about that country. Lol
Kidding, I like country but I also like all other genres of music. I listen to country the most, but it really is random.
"Insurrection is the most sacred of rights and indispensible of duties." Marquis de Lafayette
"The man who sacrafices freedom for security deserves neither" Thomas Jefferson
"The ten most dangerous words in the English language are "Hi, I'm from the government, and I'm here to help." - Ronald Reagan.

Politics: Libertarian/Constitutionalists - Religion: Masonic heritage.
Military: Comp. 7 Branch. - War/Conflict: None.

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Founded: Aug 24, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:38 pm

I like all sorts of things. Metal, Revolutionary songs, traditional chants, whatever Tinariwen is, rock and rap....

There's not much I won't touch beyond modern country and pop.
On the hate train. Choo choo, bitches. Bi-Polar. Proud Crypto-Fascist and Turbo Progressive. Dirty Étatist. Lowly Humanities Major. NSG's Best Liberal.
Caesar and Imperator of RWDT
Got a blog up again. || An NS Writing Discussion

Azrael
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Azrael » Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:39 pm

Triumvirate of Mars wrote:So about that country. Lol
Kidding, I like country but I also like all other genres of music. I listen to country the most, but it really is random.

Country is one of the genres people always argue about lol. I don't really know what to think of it at times. :lol:

Triumvirate of Mars
Envoy

Founded: Jan 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Triumvirate of Mars » Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:59 pm

Azrael wrote:
Triumvirate of Mars wrote:So about that country. Lol

Country is one of the genres people always argue about lol. I don't really know what to think of it at times. :lol:

Haha. Arguing about music is like trying to argue about what poem is better. They're for the most part all emotional. Lol
"Insurrection is the most sacred of rights and indispensible of duties." Marquis de Lafayette
"The man who sacrafices freedom for security deserves neither" Thomas Jefferson
"The ten most dangerous words in the English language are "Hi, I'm from the government, and I'm here to help." - Ronald Reagan.

Politics: Libertarian/Constitutionalists - Religion: Masonic heritage.
Military: Comp. 7 Branch. - War/Conflict: None.

Azrael
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Azrael » Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:02 pm

Triumvirate of Mars wrote:
Azrael wrote:Country is one of the genres people always argue about lol. I don't really know what to think of it at times. :lol:

Haha. Arguing about music is like trying to argue about what poem is better. They're for the most part all emotional. Lol

Yeah. Sometimes the themes of country songs tend to stay within the same spectrum which gets tiresome after a while.

Azrael
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Azrael » Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:58 pm

Well, I just woke up and I see that this thread hasn't changed. Hmmm.
I'll just leave this here then:
What do you guys think about certain music genres? I mean, they all have their ups and downs, but do you think it's fair to group certain artists into certain genres? What genres do you generally like? What would you like to explore? Discuss!

Ganos Lao
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 26, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Ganos Lao » Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:00 pm

Conserative Morality wrote:I like all sorts of things. Metal, Revolutionary songs, traditional chants, whatever Tinariwen is, rock and rap....

I find there's actually some decent pop out there, personally.

But overall, we share the same sense about music; I like all sorts of things myself and listen to anything interesting. I'm open minded when it comes to my music taste.

Feel free to telegram me some recommendations.
Last edited by Ganos Lao on Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

This nation is controlled by the player who was once Neo-Ixania on the Jolt Forums! It is also undergoing reconstruction.

Azrael
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Azrael » Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:04 pm

Ganos Lao wrote:
Conserative Morality wrote:I like all sorts of things. Metal, Revolutionary songs, traditional chants, whatever Tinariwen is, rock and rap....

But overall, we share the same sense about music; I like all sorts of things myself and listen to anything interesting. I'm open minded when it comes to my music taste.

Yeah, I tend to be like that, too. If I like it, I like it. If I don't, I don't.

I'm probably way too lazy and tired right now to send you anything, though.

Bengera
Minister

Founded: Jul 01, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Bengera » Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:04 pm

I don't go on a genre basis, I go on "sounds good." So I have all types of music on my Ipod, from Anthrax to Ice Cube.
Overseas Territories:
Bengerian Peace For Men:
Baltic Islands "de facto"
Fredrick Region

Azrael
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Azrael » Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:05 pm

Bengera wrote:I don't go on a genre basis, I go on "sounds good." So I have all types of music on my Ipod, from Anthrax to Ice Cube.

Yeah, that's exactly my policy. Although, I don't usually use my Ipod for music (or at all really...)

Muktukia
Lobbyist

Founded: Jan 13, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Muktukia » Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:17 pm

I love music. I can listen to almost everything, and it just makes me feel good. Personally, I think country sucks. I mean, yeah, you're patriotic, that's great. But seriously, if it isn't Johnny Cash, I hate it.
Same with pop. It usually isn't good, but I still find a few songs that I like (but would never tell my friends about).
I would say that all rock, metal, and alternative fall into my spectrum of enjoyment, but this sadly is not the case. I hate Skillet, for example, but if you asked me why, I wouldn't be able to come up with an answer. I wish there was a magical system of genre's that somehow managed to pinpoint everyone's musical tastes, but, sadly, it can't work.

Or maybe it could, but just thinking about my tastes, I see no way to combine Metallica, Cake, Eminem('s older stuff), and Beastie Boys into one genre.
I am from the great and mysterious land of Alaska. I am part-Native, but I look rather Asian in appearance; squinty eyes, dark hair, pale, skinnier than a twig. I play Xbox (GT: Mr Muktuk), most Nintendo products (Proud owner of a 3Ds), and loved the PS2. Kinda antisocial, mostly because I generally dislike the idiots that populate public school. I'm bookish, intelligent, and yet know very little about politics. Why am I here?

I am only on this site through the sheer might and power of the Nintendo 3Ds, and as such I don't frequent the forums very often due to long load times. Thus, I will most likely throw my two cents in on a topic, then just wander off. I apologize for any arguments I may start that I do not finish.

You are reading this.

Bengera
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Bengera » Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:20 pm

Azrael wrote:
Bengera wrote:I don't go on a genre basis, I go on "sounds good." So I have all types of music on my Ipod, from Anthrax to Ice Cube.

Yeah, that's exactly my policy. Although, I don't usually use my Ipod for music (or at all really...)

I can't live without music or my Ipod. :lol2:
Overseas Territories:
Bengerian Peace For Men:
Fredrick Region

Ganos Lao
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 26, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Ganos Lao » Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:20 pm

Azrael wrote:
Ganos Lao wrote:

Yeah, I tend to be like that, too. If I like it, I like it. If I don't, I don't.

I'm probably way too lazy and tired right now to send you anything, though.

No problem. It was just a general proclamation. Anyone can freely telegram me recommendations. :)

But, yeah, that's my policy in a nutshell. If I like it, I like it. If I don't, I don't.

That's my policy when it comes to my IPod too. It's probably one of my favorite possessions these days. :D

This nation is controlled by the player who was once Neo-Ixania on the Jolt Forums! It is also undergoing reconstruction.

Bengera
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Bengera » Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:21 pm

Ganos Lao wrote:
Azrael wrote:

:bow:
Overseas Territories:
Bengerian Peace For Men:
Fredrick Region

Motuka
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 03, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Motuka » Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:36 pm

I quite like music, myself. Not to put too fine a point on it, I'm myself a musician and I have a degree in it >.>

Mostly what I look for in music is its ability to stimulate me and hold my attention. As a general rule if I become distracted enough while listening to a piece of music for the first time that I can do other things at the same time without losing focus, that CD's going back to the library. Another significant factor in my enjoyment of music is its intensity; pieces with a higher level of dissonance cause more intense emotional reactions for me, whereas pieces with low or nonexistent levels of dissonance have a soporific effect. Fast tempi and irregular rhythms also contribute to this. I'm not usually as much of a fan of slow music, or music with a high degree of rhythmic regularity.

I'd like to claim that I don't limit myself to genres but honestly there are a number of genres that my tastes completely bypass. I am pretty open-minded, so long as these constraints remain in mind.
Last edited by Motuka on Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
World Assembly Personnel: Sandor Kaji ~ Julian Kbitaru

Political compass: Approximately -8 Social/+1 Economic (OOC); -6 Social/+9 Economic (IC) ~ Making Maps [suggestions welcome]

Azrael
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Azrael » Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:38 pm

Hey. Here's something else I want to know -
What do you guys think will be big this year? - Is this current pop dying? Will it be revived? Will we see something new dominated the charts?

I myself have no idea, but I'm kinda going with an optimistic point of view. All in all, I don't really care since I listen to whatever I want to and rarely pay any attention to the radio.

Metanih
Senator

Founded: Jan 21, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Metanih » Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:45 pm

My music tastes are personally subject to random switches. I completely hate ALL the music I liked two weeks ago. Completely changed my tastes. And it sucks, because all the music on my MP3 I now dislike. Which sucks. A lot.
Anyone else have similar problems?
Nationstates Ninja
Second to Reploid Productions...
Everyone should watch this excellent show, and the movie Serenity.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0303461/

If you don't know me well, talk to me more. I have a DeviantArt account here. http://merin593.deviantart.com
Also, I am a pansexual genderfluid individual. If you don't know what that means, look it up. I deal with enough people asking in real life. . ;)

Azrael
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Azrael » Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:07 pm

Metanih wrote:My music tastes are personally subject to random switches. I completely hate ALL the music I liked two weeks ago. Completely changed my tastes. And it sucks, because all the music on my MP3 I now dislike. Which sucks. A lot.

Not really. My tastes shift a lot and quite frequently, but I generally won't entirely hate something I used to like. I'll just lose interest. The amount of time it takes for me to stop caring about certain music highly varies though - sometimes it takes months, sometimes it takes a day.

Bengera
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Bengera » Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:57 am

Metanih wrote:My music tastes are personally subject to random switches. I completely hate ALL the music I liked two weeks ago. Completely changed my tastes. And it sucks, because all the music on my MP3 I now dislike. Which sucks. A lot.

Interesting. I never just start not liking music I used to like.
Overseas Territories:
Bengerian Peace For Men:
Fredrick Region

The united nation of clone troopers
Bureaucrat

Founded: Dec 12, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby The united nation of clone troopers » Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:14 am

evanscence, skillet, and taylor swift.
that's like all i ever listen to
I like Star Wars, Three Days Grace, the Avengers, Thor and kittens!!
Pi:3.1415926535897932384626433832795028841971693993751058209749445923078164062862089986280348253421170679
8214808651328230664709384460955058223172535940812848111745028410270193852110555964462294895493038196
4428810975665933446128475648233786783165271201909145648566923460348610454326648213393607260249141273
724587006606315588174881520920962829254091715364367892590360011330530548820466521384146951941511609

Arumdaum
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Oct 21, 2009
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Arumdaum » Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:09 pm

I listen to anything that I think sounds good.

Bengera wrote:

Interesting. I never just start not liking music I used to like.

Same here. Sorta weird.
LITERALLY UNLIKE ANY OTHER RP REGION & DON'T REPORT THIS SIG
█████████████████▌TIANDI ____________██____██
_______███▌MAP _______________██_____██_████████
█████████████████▌WIKI _______██______██___██____██
_______████ DISCORD ________██████___██____██______█

____████__████ SIGNUP _________██___████___██____
__████_______████_____________██______██__________██
████____________████_______█████████___███████████

Oterro
Post Marshal

Founded: May 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Oterro » Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:11 pm

>implying music is good

Muktukia wrote:I love music. I can listen to almost everything, and it just makes me feel good. Personally, I think country sucks. I mean, yeah, you're patriotic, that's great. But seriously, if it isn't Johnny Cash, I hate it.

five hypothetical pounds says you've not invested yourself in the genre enough to comment.

Been listening to some more hip hop lately. Kanye West and N.W.A. Some of it's pretty good man. I don't swoon over genres and try to listen to as much as possible.
My tag cloud thing
we, unlike the bourgeoisie, have nothing to lose and therefore our expression will be the only honest one, our words will be the only challenging ones and our art will be the one revolutionary expression. We need new noise and new voices and new canvases to become something more than the last poets of a useless generation.

Vloomar
Envoy

Founded: Nov 06, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Vloomar » Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:10 pm

Oterro wrote:>implying music is good

Muktukia wrote:I love music. I can listen to almost everything, and it just makes me feel good. Personally, I think country sucks. I mean, yeah, you're patriotic, that's great. But seriously, if it isn't Johnny Cash, I hate it.

five hypothetical pounds says you've not invested yourself in the genre enough to comment.

Been listening to some more hip hop lately. Kanye West and N.W.A. Some of it's pretty good man. I don't swoon over genres and try to listen to as much as possible.

Almost all of the people that say "I hate all country" haven't heard more than half a dozen real country songs. No, Taylor Swift does not count. I don't love country, but George Strait is one of my favorite artists and Don Williams is decent as well.

And yeah, there's tons of good hip hop out there. Some of my faves are A Tribe Called Quest, Immortal Technoque, Aesop Rock, Jedi Mind Tricks, etc.
Join Heavy Metal Heaven

Album currently blowing me away: Edge of Sanity - "Purgatory Afterglow"

Unity; a gathering of open wounds,
of dark... of dark clean spirits...
what a dream... what a dream so distant!
Why should I... why should I be alone
when I love... when I love my brotherhood?
Shall I die... shall I die to be free
when I cry... when I cry in silence...
so please let me die in silence...
oh my god, let me die in silence!

Jakaragua
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 11, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Jakaragua » Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:57 pm

Vloomar wrote:And yeah, there's tons of good hip hop out there. Some of my faves are A Tribe Called Quest, Immortal Technoque, Aesop Rock, Jedi Mind Tricks, etc.

Aesop Rock's great, but Immortal Technique... I dunno... He believes in Illuminati shit an' shit, also some of his lyrics aren't bastions of left-wing thinking either:
As for homophobia, hip hop never embraced faggots. One can’t deny that there are probably rappers, DJs and fans that are mo's but I think since the culture was based around proving one's manhood, acting like a fruitpop isn’t gonna get you anywhere.

Give me a hundred grand, give me your watch, give me your chain. /That's your girl? Bitch, get over here and give me some brain. /I'll bust off on her face and right after the segment, /She'll probably rub it in her pussy, trying to get herself pregnant.

I try and avoid leftist music, due to a lot it being crap or fully of inconsistencies like Immortal Technique.

Question, does anyone care about the politics of their music or musicians?
Last edited by Jakaragua on Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Boredom is counter-revolutionary.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Arts & Fiction