NATION

PASSWORD

Magic : Outlawed, or Accepted?

A place to put national factbooks, embassy exchanges, and other information regarding the nations of the world. [In character]

MAGIC. OUTLAWED, OR ALLOWED?

Allow it, but heavily tax it.
7%
Only for military.
9%
Outlaw this use of withcraft, and wizardy.
11%
Hide it in secret facilities until you know more about it.
18%
Let citizens use it freely.
55%

Total votes : 185

Reymonor
Attaché

Founded: Jan 02, 2012
Ex-Nation

Magic : Outlawed, or Accepted?

Postby Reymonor » Mon Jan 02, 2012 6:55 pm

Magic has entered your nation. It can start fire, create water, and heal a person all with a twist of someone's fingers. Would you allow citizens t use it freely? Or hide it?
Yay. Royality.

King - Mage - 250 - King Nathyn Zvyrsk

Oldest Prince - Anthro - 25 - Prince Silverstone Zvyrsk

Middle Prince - Human - 19 - Prince Mattakia Zvyrsk

Youngest prince - Anthro - 6 - Prince Italy Zvyrsk

Princess - Human - 18 - Melaine Zvyrsk
Social Experiment, If you see this copy it and add your favorite colour it Purple!

Saurisisia
Post Czar

Founded: Jan 28, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Saurisisia » Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:03 pm

Magic is allowed and widely studied and practiced by the Dragons, Khalkans, Ponies, Lizards, Serpens, and even a few of the Dinosaurs. Of course, many citizens are generally creeped out by it.
Autistic, Christian, Capitalist, Libertarian
Don't wish to display my sexuality for all to see because I don't care about what sexuality someone is
Make Tea, Not Love
Proud Yankee Monarchist
DA Account
https://dragcave.net/user/Bellumsaur13
Things in our country run in spite of government, not by aid of it. - Will Rogers
This nation reflects my RL beliefs and values (for the most part, anyway)
P/MT: The United Provinces of Saurisia
FT: The Federal Systems Republic of Saurisia
MT FT Embassy
ANTHRO AND A MEMBER OF THE MULTI-SPECIES UNION!

My nation's dominated by talking Dinosaurs, there is no realism (because ultra-realism is SO boring)
Dinosaurs rule!
I am Scaly and I am proud!

Rupudska
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Sep 16, 2010
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Rupudska » Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:05 pm

Entered? You make it sound as if it left at some point! Of course Karlsland citizens are free to use it, as long as they don't hurt anyone with it.
The Holy Roman Empire of Karlsland (MT/FanT & FT/FanT)
THE Strike Witches NationState | Retired King of P2TM
Best thread ever.
MT Factbook/FT Factbook|Embassy|Q&A
On Karlsland Witch Doctrine:
Hladgos wrote:Scantly clad women, more like tanks
seem to be blowing up everyones banks
with airstrikes from girls with wings to their knees
which show a bit more than just their panties

Questers wrote:
Rupudska wrote:So do you fight with AK-47s or something even more primitive? Since I doubt any economy could reasonably sustain itself that way.
Presumably they use advanced technology like STRIKE WITCHES

Beldonia
Senator

Founded: Jan 07, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Beldonia » Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:07 pm

Non-existant, so there's nothing said about it in the law book.

Volmachtia
Senator

Founded: Nov 07, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Volmachtia » Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:08 pm

Isolate and thoroughly study it. When confident that it poses no unknowable threat, begin training combat magician corps for the Military.

Xeng He
Minister

Founded: Nov 14, 2011
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Xeng He » Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:10 pm

Certain people in the fleet have some magical ability already, though it's been called by Xeng He "psionics" and honed to a science there.

It'd be what it is--completely allowed.
Blazedtown wrote:[an ism is] A term used by people who won't admit their true beliefs, or don't have any.
[spoiler=Quotes]
Galloism: ...social media is basically cancer. I’d like to reiterate that social media is bringing the downfall of society in a lot of ways.
I'm Not Telling You It's Going to Be Easy, I'm Telling You It's Going to be Worth It.
Oh my god this comic

Democratic Koyro
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 13, 2011
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Democratic Koyro » Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:13 pm

it doesn't exist, some of the sentient pony population (0.6% of the total population of Koyro) believed they had magical abilities and informed the government. This was dismissed as a counter-revolutionay religious idea and those who believe they have magical abilities suffer the same fate as any other delusional religious fanatic.
THERMOBARIC THERMITE

Warhaven
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 20, 2004
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Warhaven » Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:14 pm

Magic has been apart of The Imperial Bureaucracy since before the name Warhaven even existed. It is accepted regulated via the department of Magic and its sub-departments.

CIRONKE
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby CIRONKE » Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:21 pm

Kinda have to let everybody use it considering my currency
Last edited by CIRONKE on Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rexzich City
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 20, 2011
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Rexzich City » Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:24 pm

As long as it doesen't hurt anyone else it's OK.We even have a pagen district.
Last edited by Rexzich City on Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"When life gives you lemons, throw them back and demand chocolate!"
-Shift

International Military Relations Center-IMRC(Embassy Program)
https://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=429126

St.Jimmy Class Library Ship sets sail!
https://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=429967

Rexzich Worldbank(RXWB)
https://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=470491

Domination of Drakia
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Domination of Drakia » Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:24 pm

Non existant so there are actually no laws concerning magic or magic-relevant topic...

Cyprum Xecuii
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Cyprum Xecuii » Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:25 pm

We allow it...but when wizards and such come into our land their magic...doesn't work....it's like the nation deters magic and it's ability to be used. either we have no imagination at all to see or use magic, or the helghast mainland's radiation is shutting off magic to our colony...

Republic of Aspergia
Ambassador

Founded: May 19, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Republic of Aspergia » Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:26 pm

It's widely accepted in the RoA.

Samuraikoku
Post Czar

Founded: May 13, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Samuraikoku » Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:26 pm

Fully allowed. Our people know better than to use it for damage.

Lancaster of Wessex
Senator

Founded: Feb 21, 2004
New York Times Democracy

Postby Lancaster of Wessex » Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:30 pm

"Magic" is considered a part of freedom of religion, which is guaranteed (under certain limitations) by the state. It is, however, largely unpracticed, as it is considered a part of the occult and is hence largely shunned by the vast majority of citizens.
Lancaster.
Duke of the Most Ancient and Noble House of Lancaster of Wessex

The Most High, Potent, and Noble Prince, Lancaster, By the Grace of God, Duke of Wessex, Protector of the Enclaved Pious Estates of The Church of Wessex, Lord of Saint Aldhelm Islands, Prince and Great Steward of Celtic Wessex, Keeper of the Great Seal of the Duchy and House of Lancaster of Wessex, Sovereign of the Most Ancient and Illustrious Order of the Gold Gryphon, etc.

New Freedomstan
Minister

Founded: Dec 19, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby New Freedomstan » Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:30 pm

It is illegal. There are also some conspiracy nuts who believe the government actually have paranormal departments.

The Alice in Wondeland
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby The Alice in Wondeland » Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:32 pm

With out careful regulation, there would be chaos, in addition to the economy imploding due to the various industries vanishing.
I am the Rose hidden in the Thorns. Listen to my call, for the is what summons either Heaven or Hell.
Sing to me one song for joy and one for redemption and whatever's in between that I call my own
"Uggg......"
"Why did you say that?"
"Tis time for MATH...."
"But Math is fun?"
"Not this early in the morning"
"It's five in the Afternoo-"
"Shut up!" *hurls axe*
" You missed"
*throws table*
"You missed again"
*Shoots in the face*
*is dead*

Milks Empire
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Aug 02, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Milks Empire » Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:35 pm

Everyone knows about it and is happy it exists, but there's currently a government monopoly on it seeing as it still needs to be studied more thoroughly. What we've got is quite unstable.
Last edited by Milks Empire on Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TurtleShroom
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 13, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby TurtleShroom » Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:52 pm

Sorcery/witchcraft, be it black or white magic, is always a crime in TurtleShroom. Magic and the occult, along with Satanism, are specifically prohibited by the Constitution of TurtleShroom, and, by that same document, decriminalizing witchcraft is not Constitutionally feasible. The original punishment for practicing sorcery was ten thousand years if used to benefit oneself or inanimate items, etc., and death if the magic used to harm another living being (e.g. a hex or curse), even an animal.

In the 1920s, as part of a "liberalization" of the iron-fisted code on witchcraft, the death penalty was repealed for all forms of sorcery for all reasons. All Death Row mages at the time were commutated to life in prison, and the new punishment WAS life in prison.
The life sentence for sorcery remained unchanged until 2005.

Today, the maximum sentence for sorcery/witchcraft/black magic/white magic is forty years in times of peace, but the Congress grants the heads of state to double the penalty to eighty if need be (the writing of the law said it was "in times of war"). The doubling was last activated at the end of 2009, and to this day, it remains in effect.
A mage can also be prosecuted with attempted murder if the magic was a harmful- even if not truly lethal -curse (or hex) on another.

There is one sorcerer on Death Row, the prosecution having pushed an attempted murder charge alongside the witch charge. She is a human, and was arrested for trying to cast a curse- apparently lethal or at least striking "a pox" on them -upon three young turtles; all three were Atheists, and the witch claimed she was trying to "prove a point" (that the supernatural was real) by sending them to their Maker.

Unlike the usual speedy post-sentencing actions of guilty parties, this witch has been stuck on Death Row for ten years- a national record -because the legality of sentancing a mage to death, because of the reforms of the penal code, are shaky. After all, if the murder "weapon" was a curse the witch did not complete, was she actually attempting it, or just preparing? Conspiracy to murder and attempting a murder are separate crimes, and only the latter can warrent death.
THE FUTURE
IS IN THE
PAST!!

Jesus Loves You and Died for You!!
●▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ש✞ש▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬●
NationStates' only surviving States' Rights Democrat/Dixiecrat (minus the rascism)!

Maraque
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 22, 2004
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Maraque » Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:00 pm

Magic, being a very real thing, is accepted in Tsvarchi. That said, magic is regulated by the National Sorcery Administration, which is head by a special Sorcery Liaison acting in an advisory post in the Whirnak administration.

Zarodia
Envoy

Founded: Apr 21, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Zarodia » Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:29 pm

mages are technically allowed to use their abilities freely in the Empire, although most are heavily pressured to join and/or stay with the military after their mandatory service period is completed. there obviously exist laws preventing abuse of magic, such as the ban of what most refer to as "mind control" and the selling of magically manufactured coin, but it is admitted that policing this is difficult and thankfully the former talent is a rare one. in most things outside what has already been said mages and their magic are often evaluated on a case-by-case basis, and the rarity of such events allows jurisdiction to fall to the High Command, often even to the Empress Regent herself. if it is decided that the mage in question has abused his/her ability, then punishment is harsh and often fatal, a fact which serves as a very successful deterrent.
regardless of whether they choose to apply their craft in the military or elsewhere, mages are highly respected throughout the Empire, and the idea of outlawing magic is completely absurd.
in more blunt terms, if the mage doesn't fuck up or do something stupid then they're welcomed with open arms.
Last edited by Zarodia on Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
From the desk of Major Urunarel, Regent Commander of Foreign Communications,
~Kajon Asori Ku'Kashonita Urunarel

Dumb Ideologies wrote:I am not sure there is sufficient gunpowder around to cannon-launch enough of them to Manhattan from their parents' basements.

And so they christened me Zaro, killer of threads.
If I'm posting on NSG, I'm probably drunk.
Economic Left/Right: -5.45
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 6.84

Kusthet
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 26, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Kusthet » Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:48 pm

While no native Kusthet can affect the aether in a sufficient way to utilise magickal energies, the practice of magick by immigrants is by no means legislated or otherwise cared about unless it is used to an effect that breaks the laws of the nation.
I'm baaa~aack

Wazkyraque
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 23, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Wazkyraque » Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:50 pm

It doesn't exist.

Although there are illusionists, who are completely legal
"Everything takes time. Bees have to move very fast to stay still."

Outworldia
Bureaucrat

Founded: Dec 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Outworldia » Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:04 pm

Magic is very real here, and is free to be practiced by anyone,Though few can actually use it. As long as its not used to harm anyone, you will be fine.

The Merchant Republics
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 25, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby The Merchant Republics » Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:25 pm

It's absurd that a state would even attempt to outlaw magic and only tyrants would keep it exclusively to their militaries. We are unsure of how one would tax magic and should as easy method exist we would oppose it nonetheless for being intrusive and wrong.

It would then be legal to use in roughly the same context as weapons.
Your Resident Gentleman and Libertarian; presently living in the People's Republic of China, which is if anyone from the Party asks "The Best and Also Only China".
Christian Libertarian Autarchist: like an Anarchist but with more "Aut".
Social: Authoritarian/Libertarian (-8.55)
Economic: Left/Right (7.55)
We are the premiere of civilization, the beacon of liberty, the font of prosperity and the ever illuminating light of culture in this hellish universe.
In short: Elitist Wicked Cultured Free Market Anarchists living in a Diesel-Deco World.

Now Fearing: Mandarin Lessons from Cantonese teachers.
Factbook (FT)|Art Gallery|Embassy Program

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Factbooks and National Information