NATION

PASSWORD

Hints That 'God Particle' May Exist

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Four-sided Triangles
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 15, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Four-sided Triangles » Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:53 pm

Leepaidamba wrote:I read this in "Experiment NL: deel 2", a (Dutch) publication of the NWO (Dutch Organisation for Scientific Research) and popular-scientific magazine Quest containing short articles about scientific discoveries made in the Netherlands. The article this came from was written by Gieljan de Vries and describes how Professor Kobus Kuipers of the FOM-Institute for Atomic and Molecular Physics in Amsterdam slowed down light and measured it.

However you can easily find information about this through googling "Slow light". The references of the Wikipedia page on the subject also provide valuable information. This for instance states that light has been slowed down to about 38 Mi/h.

It's exactly what I thought. They didn't slow photons at all. They slowed a beam of light. It's nothing more than a more extreme version of what happens when light moves from air into water. The beam of light slows because photons get absorbed and re-radiated. This effect delays the progression of the overall beam of light, but the individual photons never travel any slower.
This is why gay marriage will destroy American families.
Gays are made up of gaytrinos and they interact via faggons, which are massless spin 2 particles. They're massless because gays care so much about their weight, and have spin 2, cause that's as much spin as particles can get, and liberals love spin. The exchange of spin 2 particles creates an attractive force between objects, which is why gays are so promiscuous. When gays get "settle down" into a lower energy state by marrying, they release faggon particles in the form of gaydiation. Everyone is a little bit gay, so every human body has some gaytrinos in it, meaning that the gaydiation could cause straight people to be attracted to gays and choose to turn gay.

Great Nepal
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jan 11, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Great Nepal » Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:58 pm

Lordieth wrote:
Halgrond wrote:The closer you get to the speed of light the more energy it takes to go faster.

Yeah, to get to lightspeed with mass would take more energy than the entire Universe contains.

@Nepal; if you took away a fundamental particle's mass it would travel at the speed of light.

Okay, thanks.
That means, if we manage to eliminate Higgs in say probe, we will be able to charter way much further in reasonable time...

Now only if they could find a way to make that a reality in my lifetime.
Last edited by Great Nepal on Sun Nov 29, 1995 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lordieth
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 18, 2010
New York Times Democracy

Postby Lordieth » Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:08 pm

Great Nepal wrote:
Lordieth wrote:
Yeah, to get to lightspeed with mass would take more energy than the entire Universe contains.

@Nepal; if you took away a fundamental particle's mass it would travel at the speed of light.

Okay, thanks.
That means, if we manage to eliminate Higgs in say probe, we will be able to charter way much further in reasonable time...

It begs the question though, if you could create a probe and remove its mass, could you regain that mass once it arrives at its destination? Or would the probe regain its mass as it passes through the Higgs Field? Matter requires mass, I'm not sure what would prevent the probe from demolecularizing without a force to hold it together.

Maybe Quantum Entanglement.
Last edited by Lordieth on Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
There was a signature here. It's gone now.

The Murtunian Tribes
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 17, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby The Murtunian Tribes » Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:13 pm

Lordieth wrote:
Great Nepal wrote:Okay, thanks.

It begs the question though, if you could create a probe and remove its mass, could you regain that mass once it arrives at its destination? Or would the probe regain its mass as it passes through the Higgs Field? Matter requires mass, I'm not sure what would prevent the probe from demolecularizing without a force to hold it together.

Raleigh
Bureaucrat

Founded: Oct 26, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Raleigh » Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:15 pm

It's not true! It's turtles all the way down!
puppet of UD

Four-sided Triangles
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Four-sided Triangles » Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:26 pm

Lordieth wrote:It begs the question though, if you could create a probe and remove its mass, could you regain that mass once it arrives at its destination? Or would the probe regain its mass as it passes through the Higgs Field? Matter requires mass, I'm not sure what would prevent the probe from demolecularizing without a force to hold it together.

Mass doesn't hold stuff together. Gravity is the only fundamental force that depends on mass, and that's too weak to hold a probe together.

Also, the Higgs mechanism only gives mass to fundamental particles. Other configurations like protons and neutrons gain mass primarily through the strong force fields holding the quarks together. Even if you could decouple the Higgs field, something for which there is no mechanism available in the standard model, the majority of the mass of matter would still remain.

I'm sorry to be such a downer.
Gays are made up of gaytrinos and they interact via faggons, which are massless spin 2 particles. They're massless because gays care so much about their weight, and have spin 2, cause that's as much spin as particles can get, and liberals love spin. The exchange of spin 2 particles creates an attractive force between objects, which is why gays are so promiscuous. When gays get "settle down" into a lower energy state by marrying, they release faggon particles in the form of gaydiation. Everyone is a little bit gay, so every human body has some gaytrinos in it, meaning that the gaydiation could cause straight people to be attracted to gays and choose to turn gay.

Simon Cowell of the RR
Minister

Founded: May 18, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Simon Cowell of the RR » Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:30 pm

Raleigh wrote:It's not true! It's turtles all the way down!

Someone had to say it.
Of course the zealots will now be shouting how it cannot exist because all they saw was the name...
Yes, I might be trolling. No, not like the guy who created the thread about towel heads.
I troll by making even the most outlandish opinions sound reasonable. The question is, am I doing that here?

Johz
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 26, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Johz » Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:30 pm

Lordieth wrote:
Halgrond wrote:The closer you get to the speed of light the more energy it takes to go faster.

Glad to see Four-sided Tringles has arrived to make me look relatively stupid in comparison ;)

It's what happens to time at lightspeed that fascinates me. If you could travel at lightspeed you would arrive at your destination instantaneously, but to an outside observer on Earth, that observer would age relative to how many lightyears you have travelled, even though the journey is instant from your frame of reference. This is known as Time Dilation and the Twin Paradox respectively.

I read a rather interesting book, John Gribbin's The Search for Schroedinger's Cat, which had a rather interesting bit showing that you could consider, were you to simply look at the Feinman diagrams, photons as fixed lines through the four-dimensional universe. However, Gribbin did point out that this way of thinking probably isn't desperately helpful, although it's pretty neat...
Always Ready (With a Cuppa): UDL
Praise [violet] for safe switching!

The Village of Johz - (Factbook)
Head of Foreign Affairs:
Mr Newman
Head of the Flower Rota: Mrs Figgis
Population: 269 (Johzians)
Sometime between when the "evolution is just a theory" nonesense dies out, and when Ashmoria starts using captitalization. - EnragedMaldivians
It's called a tangent. It tends to happen on NSG. - Olthar
[E]very Brit I've met on the internet has been violently apathetic. - Conserative Morality
This is Johz. I'd like to give him a hug someday. - Celly
See a mistake? Send me a telegram!|I would be very much indebted to you.
LINKS: My Website|Barryman|Gay Marriage: Who will be next?

#NSG on esper.net - Join us!
Also, bonobos zygons.

Lordieth
Post Czar

New York Times Democracy

Postby Lordieth » Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:43 pm

@Four-sided Triangles; Electromagnetism is the force behind chemical bonding, right? So if you took away a physical object's mass, it would still remain intact? Mass doesn't effect the electromagnetic force?
Last edited by Lordieth on Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Four-sided Triangles
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Four-sided Triangles » Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:44 pm

Johz wrote:I read a rather interesting book, John Gribbin's The Search for Schroedinger's Cat, which had a rather interesting bit showing that you could consider, were you to simply look at the Feinman diagrams, photons as fixed lines through the four-dimensional universe. However, Gribbin did point out that this way of thinking probably isn't desperately helpful, although it's pretty neat...

That kinda is how light is seen, or at least light-like rays. Under any Lorentz transformation, light-like rays have exactly the same length (their length is actually zero in every reference frame). Thus, in flat space-time, they're a nice invariant object. Light-like rays never change their four-length. All they do is rotate in four dimensional Minkowski space.

Four-sided Triangles
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Four-sided Triangles » Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:54 pm

Lordieth wrote:@Four-sided Triangles; Electromagnetism is the force behind chemical bonding, right? So if you took away a physical object's mass, it would still remain intact? Mass doesn't effect the electromagnetic force?

Electromagnetism holds things together. If you took away a physical object's mass, it would necessarily travel at light speed. Electrons would break apart into two completely decoupled objects, namely left and right chiral electrons. Mass causes the two chiral states to couple into one object, but without mass, the two are basically completely independent of each other.

Of course, the only way for electrons to have no mass is to completely remove them from any external potential energy. Since the electromagnetic bonding of electrons to atoms is potential energy, they would still have a source of mass. Electrons would be closer to their nuclei, at least for hydrogen-like atoms. This would change chemistry drastically, but electrons would still have some pseudo-mass. It would just be a much more easily changeable mass than that of the Higgs mechanism.

Chemistry would be fucked up, and the chemical properties of objects would change, but it's hard to say, without really looking over the equations, exactly how the properties would change. Our kind of life would probably be impossible, but simpler things like metals would still likely remain stable.

Raleigh
Bureaucrat

Founded: Oct 26, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Raleigh » Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:59 pm

Simon Cowell of the RR wrote:
Raleigh wrote:It's not true! It's turtles all the way down!

Someone had to say it.
Of course the zealots will now be shouting how it cannot exist because all they saw was the name...

I doubt they'll say anything. They probably won't even understand what is going on.

I sure don't.
puppet of UD

Great Nepal
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jan 11, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Great Nepal » Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:49 pm

Lordieth wrote:
Great Nepal wrote:Okay, thanks.

So, all we gota do now is...
1) Conform that it is actually true.
2) Find a way to locate it on all atoms without smashing them together.
3) Come up with a theory to extract Higgs.
4) Test the theory and conform it works.
5) Come up with a theory to enact Quantum Entanglement.
6) Test and conform it.
7) Make a giant probe out of it.
8 ) Send it to the stars...

Seems simple enough.. . :p
Last edited by Great Nepal on Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Last edited by Great Nepal on Sun Nov 29, 1995 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lordieth
Post Czar

New York Times Democracy

Postby Lordieth » Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:26 pm

Oh, is that all? ;)

I think Four-sided Triangles' response to my question highlights another problem; entropy.

If you could remove the mass from the probe, then some of the materials may undergo reactions and transformations that can't be reversed; in the same way that you can't unscramble an egg.

The probe would have to be developed from materials that could revert back to their original state once they regain their mass.

Maineiacs
Negotiator

Founded: May 26, 2005
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Maineiacs » Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:34 pm

Chulainan wrote:
Zersium wrote:
...Ouch, that must hurt...letting several Gods out Uranus.

Its times like these that keep bringing me back to nation states, only here can you have a thread on the God Particle involving butt jokes about an ancient pantheon of gods

Thank you! I'm here all week! :D
Economic:-8.12 Social:-7.59 Moral Rules:5 Moral Order:-5
Muravyets: Maineiacs, you are brilliant, too! I stand in delighted awe.
Sane Outcasts:When your best case scenario is five kilometers of nuclear contamination, you know someone fucked up.
Geniasis: Christian values are incompatible with Conservative ideals. I cannot both follow the teachings of Christ and be a Republican. Therefore, I choose to not be a Republican.
Galloism: If someone will build a wall around Donald Trump, I'll pay for it.
Bottle tells it like it is
add 6,928 to post count

Maineiacs
Negotiator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Maineiacs » Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:35 pm

Great Nepal wrote:
Lordieth wrote:

So, all we gota do now is...
1) Conform that it is actually true.
2) Find a way to locate it on all atoms without smashing them together.
3) Come up with a theory to extract Higgs.
4) Test the theory and conform it works.
5) Come up with a theory to enact Quantum Entanglement.
6) Test and conform it.
7) Make a giant probe out of it.
8 ) Send it to the stars...

Seems simple enough.. . :p

Should be ready to launch by about 3350 A.D.
Sane Outcasts:When your best case scenario is five kilometers of nuclear contamination, you know someone fucked up.
Geniasis: Christian values are incompatible with Conservative ideals. I cannot both follow the teachings of Christ and be a Republican. Therefore, I choose to not be a Republican.
add 6,928 to post count

Maineiacs
Negotiator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Maineiacs » Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:37 pm

Raleigh wrote:
Simon Cowell of the RR wrote:Someone had to say it.

I doubt they'll say anything. They probably won't even understand what is going on.

I sure don't.

Since when did not understanding something stop religious zealots from blathering about it?
add 6,928 to post count

Sakkra
Spokesperson

Founded: Antiquity
New York Times Democracy

Postby Sakkra » Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:19 pm

The major question here is ... how can I make a buck off it?
All I wanted was pants! A decent pair of pants!

Four-sided Triangles
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Four-sided Triangles » Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:31 pm

Sakkra wrote:The major question here is ... how can I make a buck off it?

Is that all you care about?

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General