NATION

PASSWORD

First Gynocratic Summit (Closed, invitation or TG to join)

Where nations come together and discuss matters of varying degrees of importance. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

New Edom
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 14, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby New Edom » Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:02 pm

Sif Finnhald nodded several times during the speech of Carol Braithwaite; the New Edomites had fallen silent in response to the Director's comments and had waited to see if others wanted to say anything. "Diplomacy is at least partly about compromise and concession, agreed." said Sif. "I think my concern was mostly about being left out, and wanting to know how the women of New Edom can benefit from what is decided here. We don't want to interfere in your countries, though we would like to be able to trade and have diplomacy. If it seemed like we were getting in the way of that, I apologize on behalf of myself and my companions."

Sarah inwardly rolled her eyes at that, she hardly needed Sif to apologize for her, but she let it go for the time being. Elizabeth had been quiet during all this and simply nodded her assent. She was very interested in learning more about the other countries--it was interesting for example that each country had different laws about men and their rights, about modesty, marriage, authority.
"The three articles of Civil Service faith: it takes longer to do things quickly, it's far more expensive to do things cheaply, and it's more democratic to do things in secret." - Jim Hacker "Yes Minister"

Femina Suprema
Secretary

Founded: Jul 16, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Femina Suprema » Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:37 pm

New Edom wrote:Sif Finnhald nodded several times during the speech of Carol Braithwaite; the New Edomites had fallen silent in response to the Director's comments and had waited to see if others wanted to say anything. "Diplomacy is at least partly about compromise and concession, agreed." said Sif. "I think my concern was mostly about being left out, and wanting to know how the women of New Edom can benefit from what is decided here. We don't want to interfere in your countries, though we would like to be able to trade and have diplomacy. If it seemed like we were getting in the way of that, I apologize on behalf of myself and my companions."

Sarah inwardly rolled her eyes at that, she hardly needed Sif to apologize for her, but she let it go for the time being. Elizabeth had been quiet during all this and simply nodded her assent. She was very interested in learning more about the other countries--it was interesting for example that each country had different laws about men and their rights, about modesty, marriage, authority.

Yes, thought Andrea Lynch, relaxing slightly, compromise and concession. That's half the trouble back home; both sides are getting dug into their positions and no one seems willing to give way.

She looked at Sif Finnhald and thought that here was a woman she could do business with.

"Thank you, Sif," she said. "And thank you, Carol. Of course we're not trying to interfere in how other nations run their affairs but we very much welcome trade and closer diplomatic ties.

I know that some of our sisters look on us as being a rather strange nation. We have a fundamentally liberal approach to things; we believe that the less regulation there is on personal freedom the more the nation benefits. On the other hand, our approach to the position of men might seem to contradict that to some extent. We don't let them vote or hold public office or serve on juries; we don't let them hold positions of authority over females; and male teachers are only allowed to teach boys. Some of these things are currently under discussion in our country but they're internal decisions and not ones that we welcome outside interference in.

Our attitude to marriage is also different from many other countries. Only women are allowed to divorce and men aren't able even to leave their wives. On the other hand, divorce can only be granted on the grounds of cruelty; adultery isn't looked on as a good enough reason to get rid of a partner. We also believe that men ought to play a key role in parenting rather than just going out to work and leaving the mother at home. And, of course, we allow gay marriage."

She almost gulped with nervousness as she made her first longish speech. Taking a sip of water, she waited for responses.

New Edom
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby New Edom » Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:11 pm

Femina Suprema wrote:Yes, thought Andrea Lynch, relaxing slightly, compromise and concession. That's half the trouble back home; both sides are getting dug into their positions and no one seems willing to give way.

She looked at Sif Finnhald and thought that here was a woman she could do business with.

"Thank you, Sif," she said. "And thank you, Carol. Of course we're not trying to interfere in how other nations run their affairs but we very much welcome trade and closer diplomatic ties.

I know that some of our sisters look on us as being a rather strange nation. We have a fundamentally liberal approach to things; we believe that the less regulation there is on personal freedom the more the nation benefits. On the other hand, our approach to the position of men might seem to contradict that to some extent. We don't let them vote or hold public office or serve on juries; we don't let them hold positions of authority over females; and male teachers are only allowed to teach boys. Some of these things are currently under discussion in our country but they're internal decisions and not ones that we welcome outside interference in.

Our attitude to marriage is also different from many other countries. Only women are allowed to divorce and men aren't able even to leave their wives. On the other hand, divorce can only be granted on the grounds of cruelty; adultery isn't looked on as a good enough reason to get rid of a partner. We also believe that men ought to play a key role in parenting rather than just going out to work and leaving the mother at home. And, of course, we allow gay marriage."

She almost gulped with nervousness as she made her first longish speech. Taking a sip of water, she waited for responses.

"If I'm not mistaken," said Sif in a friendly tone, "Your country has had some dramatic political upheavals. So obviously all that you spoke of had to be achieved. You mention marriage--family and marriage are key elements--and so your country's views on marriage truly gynocratic. How did this come about, and how well does it work? To what extent can men in your country own property and run businesses, and can they do so and be married at the same time?"
"The three articles of Civil Service faith: it takes longer to do things quickly, it's far more expensive to do things cheaply, and it's more democratic to do things in secret." - Jim Hacker "Yes Minister"

The Shrailleeni Empire
Minister

Founded: Oct 06, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby The Shrailleeni Empire » Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:19 pm

Pleased at the direction that the conversation had taken, Aryni decided to speak up again. She politely interjected.

"My apologies to Lady Lynch for this brief interuption, but we have a similar statement to make."

"Firstly, the Empire, at least, has no qualms with trading with any nation. Trade is beneficial to all parties involved, and it would be foolish indeed to deny it to another nation merely due to the gender of their leaders. Military alliances are another matter of course, but trade is something that we are very interested in pursuing."

She paused to clear her throat, and then decided to shed a little more light on Shrailleeni culture, as other nations were doing with their own.

"As for our cultural practises, we Shrailleeni are an intensly private people. We hold marriage and maternity sacred, and both happen at relatively young ages, generally after our service in the military has expired. We believe that it is impossible to govern others if you have never had to govern children. I myself have two young children, who are currently at home with my husband. We have both working fathers and child-raising fathers, but a balance is ideal. Divorce is...frowned upon in the Empire, as are same-sex unions. "

Ayrni thought of some of the more liberal viewpoints that she had heard, and was aware that the Empire was likely the most conservative nation present. She carried herself regally though, refusing to let that fact bother her.

"I suppose that you could say that our citizens are considered the children of the Empress, and she rules them as such, with a firm but guiding hand. If we have a few less liberties than other nations, it is only because we are looking out for each citizen's health and safety."
Last edited by The Shrailleeni Empire on Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
أدرس اللغة العربية وهي لغة جميلة
Mother of One, Mother of All
Ask Me Anything IC
Come to the Mother's Embrace
New Edom wrote:Elizabeth Salt remarked, "It's amazing, isn't it, you rarely see modern troops that wear their 19th century uniforms and gear so well--they must drill all the time. Is this a guards outfit?"

Sif said to her, "This is a modern Shrailleeni Empire military parade. Like as in this is what they wear, this is what they use. This is it."

Ateneia
Bureaucrat

Founded: Jun 19, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Ateneia » Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:25 pm

(OOC: sorry I this is a bit sudden, but I will be without internet access from next Thursday and I would like to close this RP before this happens. We will pass directly to the third day, the one reserved to the military parade. Feel free to do the description of your participating units as long or short as you wish. If you country is pacifist and/or haven´t send units to participate in the parade, you can always RP the reactions of your delegation in the tribune)

After the debate of the second day, the third day of the Summit had arrived. This day was dedicated to a military parade, both as a show of unity amongst the attending countries and to offer a worthy spectacle for the closure of the Summit.

The main avenue of Gynospia was the scenario of the parade, and a covered tribune was prepared for the General Coordinator Sophia Powers and the rest of the members of delegations attending to the summit.

The first units of the parade where those of the host country, Ateneia. Being a country without standing army, the two hundred women parading were all members of the police corps. They looked anyway magnificent in their turquoise and white gala uniform, marching with perfect discipline. The sound of rotors could be heard from above, and when the attendants lifted their eyes, they could see the source: the joy and pride of the Ateneia Coast Guard: two helicopters recently acquired to help patrol Ateneia´s coast, send today to participate in the parade at the side of the policewomen.

New Edom
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby New Edom » Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:38 pm

New Edomite witnesses clapped as they saw the curious but well disciplined formation of police forces marching by in distinct colors. Then they broke into cheers as representatives of different units of the New Edomite Armed Forces marched by--naval personnel in white and black, stepping out neatly; Army units including the 15th Armored Cavalry who were in full dress and on horseback, in hussar uniforms with huge busbies and sabres; soldiers of the 10th Infantry in cherry red with halberds over their shoulders in full dress, and modern dressed troops of the 6th Heavy Cavalry showing the motions of a Rottweiler Tank Company and infantry in Urban Camouflage BDUs. The expressions of the soldiers were blank and stern and disciplined, showing total concentration, and they were like a well oiled machine. Sif, Sarah and Elizabeth all put hand over heart as they received the salute. In spite of all the discipline the troops in some sections broke into cheers, male and female voices ringing.

Ateneia
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Ateneia » Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:58 am

Sophia Powers joined the clapping of the Edomite representation. She couldn´t avoid to feel vaguely threatened by the vision of the male soldiers, with their weapons in display and their stern faces, but she had to admit that the edomite soldiers looked magnificent.

The Shrailleeni Empire
Minister

Founded: Oct 06, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby The Shrailleeni Empire » Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:49 pm

The Shrailleeni delegation watched interestedly as the police force of Ateneia and the impressive New Edomite forces marched past, and clapped loudly to show their support. The modern uniforms particularly caught the eyes of the Shrailleeni, who were unfamiliar with such styles.

When the Shrailleeni Imperial Guard units approached, the delegation stepped forward as one and snapped a salute. The motion was fluid and powerful, as all three representatives had served their time in the armed forces, right hand over the heart, left fist raised straight and forward in the air.

The first unit were the Imperial Rifle Guards, dressed in sleek uniforms with black jackets and pants and white shirts and trim. They were mostly male, with some women, and all wore their hair cut short under hats with resembled fezes. Their rifles, outdated weapons but in impressive condition and fixed with gleaming bayonets, were shouldered expertly. When they had marched in front of the delegation they halted and made a fluid turn to face the Shrailleeni, and gave a similar salute, moving their rifles to the right shoulder and thrusting their fists in the air.

Aryni cried out "For the Empire!"

"For the Mother Empress!" the guards echoed in unison, and then reshouldered their rifles and continued the march.

Now that the salute had been given the rest of the Shrailleeni, mainly the staff that had been brought, began to cheer, and Aryni chimed in.

The remaining units each stopped and saluted in turn, and each seemed to be trying to outdo the last. The House Cavalry, all female and dressed in short-cropped robes of Shrailleeni color, reared their horses and flashed Shrailleeni sabre blades, the sailors, mostly men, made a point of preforming the facing maneuver with a clap and stomp, and the artillerywomen of the 1st Shrailleeni Verynna Battery flashed their swords and briefly touched off an unloaded drill cannon.

The display was an odd mixture of severity and emotion, as pride and honor felt by the Imperial Guards broke through their naturally conservative facade. Aryni approved of the show, though, it displayed a confidence that she thought the other nations should see.
أدرس اللغة العربية وهي لغة جميلة
Mother of One, Mother of All
Ask Me Anything IC
Come to the Mother's Embrace
New Edom wrote:Elizabeth Salt remarked, "It's amazing, isn't it, you rarely see modern troops that wear their 19th century uniforms and gear so well--they must drill all the time. Is this a guards outfit?"

Sif said to her, "This is a modern Shrailleeni Empire military parade. Like as in this is what they wear, this is what they use. This is it."

New Edom
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby New Edom » Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:11 am

As the New Edomite delegation applauded for the Shrailleeni troops marching by, admiring the horsemanship, the dazzling uniforms and impressive marching, Elizabeth Salt remarked, "It's amazing, isn't it, you rarely see modern troops that wear their 19th century uniforms and gear so well--they must drill all the time. Is this a guards outfit?"

Dr. Salt hesitated in her applause. "Then...but they have such an elegant and beautiful way of life, how will they survive?"

Sarah Carmel said softly, "Why do you think they're here? They're an isolated realm that can't hide from the world anymore. Their leaders know they have to learn or end their way of life entirely. They're among the few people here who realize that the outside world won't just ignore them forever."

Ateneia
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Ateneia » Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:30 am

The Gynocratic Summit is officially closed. Thanks to everybody for participating!

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to NationStates