NATION

PASSWORD

The Ostro's Guide to Communiques

A staging-point for declarations of war and other major diplomatic events. [In character]
Ostronopolis
Minister

Founded: Dec 29, 2008
Father Knows Best State

The Ostro's Guide to Communiques

Postby Ostronopolis » Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:08 pm

Having been jumped, beaten, and verbally abused into submission, I have finally been forced to write my guide to communiques. It seems that my communiques are more popular than I presumed, and I'm always eager to help and teach people. So thus, after all this abuse, I have accomplished by assigned duty. And I say unto you, voila!

[] Introduction

The communiqué. The communiqué is such a simple formality it seems that has appeared consistently within the realm of NationStates role-playing for years. As with all fictional things, the NS communiqué typically has its basis in fact. So first, let’s define what a communiqué is.

A communiqué, quite simply, is a publicized (typically written) announcement, report, or declaration from a public agency, usually of a state and a department therein. Communiqués are seen most widely on the national scale with hundreds, possibly thousands, of communiqués originating from municipalities and other smaller political entities. Communiqués in their most famous form, and most widely seen on NationStates however, are typically international communications, usually between several states.

So, here the question begs, what should a communiqué look like?

Well really, it’s up the creator of the communiqué. For centuries intergovernmental communication was on parchment. Communiqués of those sort will be covered in a separate guide, but many of the principles expressed herein are the same, and were established by such earlier communications. There are three basic principles in effective communiqué creation: writing, imagery, and type.

[] Writing Communiques

These are Legal Documents. Communiques are published and recorded by public agencies and considered to be legal documents. What is reported is a matter of state record. The writing should be expressed as such. The writing of communiqués are probably the most complicated matter of their creation. Writing communiqués should reflect a tone appropriate for the situation, the proper “feel” of your state, and be sufficiently legalistic and official so to sound as though it is actually from an agency of a state.

• “Legalese” - Yes, communiqués should be imbued with some degree of “legalese.” No this does not mean it should be written so verbosely as some laws. Finding the proper degree is key here. A communique is after all, a legal document, but it is also from a public agency. Communiques should state the point, but be very specific as to what it intends to do. Even if that is to mislead or be vague, it should still be specific. For example, if a communique has the intention of declaring a specific ideology to be fallacious and incompatible with what a specific state perceives as correct, it should do so, provide examples if verifiable, and list general grievances. Ensure grammar is checked (have the Nazis check it for you as well), and use good language. Formality is also a necessity.

-----

Examples

- Good: “The Federal Republic of Oogalagastan does henceforth declare…” - the writing is clear and official.

- Bad: “Oogalagastan says that you are…” - the writing does not sound official.

• “We the nation” - This is probably the largest problems with most communiqués. While yes, telegrams during World War I often displayed use of “I” and talking from a single person’s standpoint, they always contained mentions of the entire nation and were typically in the plural first person. For communiqués to be well-written on NS, as well is in the modern world, they should be written in the third person or in the plural first person, taking the standpoint of the entire nation. Avoid other uses of the first and second persons when not in reference to a specific nation.

-----

Examples

- Good: “It is the intent of the Oompa-Loompa Imperium to ensure the safety and prosperity of all peoples upon the Earth.” - The writing makes mention of the entirety of the Oompa-Loompas.

- Bad: “I, the Prime Minister of the Oompa-Loompas, think that we should all provide for the safety and prosperity of all peoples upon the earth.” - The writing simply states what the Prime Minister alone thinks.

EXCEPTION: Personal declarations are an exception to this rule. For example, a statement from the King of a nation should mentioned his specific intentions and should not be exclusively in the third person. It should however revert to the first principle: keep it official.

• “Like a woman‘s skirt” - Like a woman’s skirt, communiqués should be long enough to cover the basics, but short enough to be interesting. Simply speaking, do not post a communique that is equivalent to the size of most novellas. State what you must, make it official, and be done with it. While length should certainly vary and should be based upon the subject at hand, don’t make it too short, nor too lengthy. It is improper to give a precise number of paragraphs/words for a communique as it is really based upon the subject, and the specific, individual situation at hand. Simply be rational about the situation; more complex matters typically require more attention.

- Good: Interesting; you get the gist of the piece; you can say “nice legs’

- Bad: Using panties as a skirt (or in this case posting a one-liner); what the Amish consider overly conservative (or in this case a novel as your communique).

• “Who the hell is that?” - Ensure they know who you’re talking to and who YOU are. State your full name, where your nation is, attach necessary governmental signatures, etc. This one is self explanatory.

-----

Examples

Good: “…the Several States of UMADBRO does therefore sanction the actions of the Republic of LolUMAD-UMAD in…” - The writing states WHO is stating the declaration, and WHO it is sanctioning.

Bad: “We don’t like you.” - No specific mention of either who.

• “Be real, not fake yo” - Ensure the communique fits the style of your nation. Ensure your socioeconomic, cultural, and political cultures are taken into account when responding to global situations and when preparing reactions, verbal or otherwise. When taking realism into account also ensure that the situations and positions your nation takes fits realistically in the current political atmosphere. Yes, this requires some degree of planning and, if you’re particularly white and nerdy, political and/or economic analysis depending on the situation. Boiled down this can be stated as simply be realistic.

-----

Good: “The Glorious Nation of GenocidesRUS does hence decree that the economic situations faced by the state hereof is reasoning for acquisition of the oil reserves whereof the Great WalPeace Republic through all means, armed and unarmed.” - The writing fits; GenocidesRUS is generally prone to armed confrontations over resources.

Bad: “The Glorious Nation of GenocidesRUS does hereby declare utmost support for the actions whereof the World Assembly in its actions to ensure the world peace and the limitation of genocides.” - The writing does not fit the nation; GenociesRUS is known for mass murders, not the perpetuation of world peace.

• Summary: Be realistic, use good word choice, ensure your nation’s theme fits, use formality, check length for sufficiency.

[] Imagery in Communiques

• “Oooh pretty” - Government coat of arms are usually meant to be aesthetically appealing yes, but their usual purpose is functionality. They indicate exactly where the communique originated, as well as representative of the state in which they are used by. Ensure that the imagery contained represents your state and include it.

• “Looks like a Doctor signed it…” - Ensure to include who it is from in an officially documented area. The common method is a signature from the head of foreign affairs or the head of state. I personally use the signatures that fit the type of communique; different agency sign differently and different sentiments require different levels of approval. In reality, it’s up to you but the final point is that there should be some approval authority to generically print on the communique. Real life examples are extremely numerous; all communiqués are ultimately “signed” by someone, often the head of the organization or the Public Relations (foreign affairs) department.

• “Oh how verbose you are…” - Ultimately, the majority of your communique will be words. This is the point. Ensure to include the coat of arms and maybe a signature of ten, but also ensure words are the main point.

• Summary: use good design detail; sign your paperwork, use mostly writing.

[]Types of Communiques

• Personal Declaration/Decree - These types of communiqués are typically from the standpoint of a single person speaking for the entire nation, or an a matter that is of important and regarding them directly (such as a royal coronation). These can be relatively formal or often international invitations to events hosted (which will often be formal in and of themselves, but often imbued with some higher degree of cordiality).

• Declaration/Decree - Declarations and decrees are, by estimation, the second most common communiqués on NationStates. Declarations are typically communications from states describing the intention of a state to employ some level of force or action into a specific area, issue, or locality. These often receive the sharpest reaction as they usually deal with something the state intends to do or will regard what the state sees as proper or condemnable.

• Inter-State Communication - These are probably the most prevalent in NationStates. These are the usual intergovernmental communications sent throughout the world usually involving the foreign minister; they are meetings between states without a meeting location. These are where most of these principles will come to surface.

• Internal Publication - These publications are typically seen moreso in Factbooks than anything else. They are interagency communications dealing with actions from internal agencies and
    actions of the government and state in question rather than some international pariah or occurrence.

-----

Examples

• Personal Declaration (on behalf of the nation)
    viewtopic.php?p=5043520#p5043520

• Declaration
    viewtopic.php?p=7465840#p7465840

• Internal Communication
    http://www.che.ac.za/documents/d000184/

• Inter-state communication
    viewtopic.php?p=4982915#p4982915

• Summary: Different types of communiqués; declarations and decrees get largest reaction generally, they also usually involve and invoke some form of action on part of the state. International communication is most common; use formality and use proper diction. Use the principles listed. Internal publications are generally in FactBooks. Use them as communications within your government.

Summary: Just read the damn thing ffs. D:<

Good Words and Phrases to Use in Communiques

"Thereof"
"Therewith"
"Whereof"
"Hitherto"
"Thus"
"Hence(forth)"

The (FULL Nation Name) does henceforth declare...
It is the intent of this state, the (FULL nation name) to enact the following action...
Therefore, the obligation of any proper state in this matter is to...
Regarding the matter hereof, this state does henceforth...
It is therefore, with intention to...

"afford the placation whereto"
"ensure the sanctity of human life"

Listing grievances against a state or entity is always a good provocative measure.
Last edited by Jenrak on Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:11 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Most Noble Republican Union of Ostronopolis
“Mortici Touaente Antimia”
Ostronopolian Trading Company || Congburgers || Communique Guide || Factbook ||
Member of: || The Conglomerate || Sovereign Network
Observer of: || COMINTERN || IFA ||

Quotes:
<Amit:> Ostro
<Amit> Through your sheer force of character
<Amit> You could get a nation to work for you

Milograd
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 10, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Milograd » Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:10 pm

finally D:<
Retired

The Treorai
Senator

Founded: Jul 15, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby The Treorai » Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:13 pm

Tag for easy refrence.
GOD-KING OF ABRASIVENESS

Dumb Ideologies wrote:It's a situation intrinsic to the committed ideologue. Whenever one makes a counter-argument the goalposts seem not only to move in two dimensions but also float several hundred thousand miles above the pitch whilst wearing cast-iron earplugs.

Rainbows and Rivers wrote:Dictators blaming America for all their problems? That's new.

Caninope wrote:If I think in my mind that the book sitting in front of me is Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows when it is in fact Robert's Rules of Order Newly Revised, 11th Edition, then it doesn't make me any more objectively correct.

Greater Evil Imperial Japanese Dystopia
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 22, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Greater Evil Imperial Japanese Dystopia » Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:16 pm

Tag for easy reference as well. :p
    Currently warring.
Military, including paramilitaries: uncounted; numerous warring factions (currently state of war)
Link to Tracker I-II-III-DERP!
Compass
Power comes only from the barrel of a gun - Mao Zedong
Death is nothing, but to live defeated and inglorious is to die daily. - Napoleon Bonaparte
DEFCON:
[0] Nuclear Armaggedon Inevitable, as well as Defend Reichland from Invasion!
Azrael wrote:Except that their entire appearance is a ruse!
Prussia-Steinbach wrote:You, I must admit, are a smart Commie. :clap:
Damanucus wrote:... better ones again.

Solm
Senator

Founded: Jul 23, 2008
Corporate Bordello

Postby Solm » Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:24 pm

Great guide, Ostro! Really nice style you wrote it in and I know, for a fact, that it will be extremely useful.

Retired: ns .hellodot. solm @ gmail .dot. com

Tergnitz
Senator

Founded: Nov 06, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Tergnitz » Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:53 pm

Excellent work here Ostro, and I'm not just saying that because a piece of my work is an example...heh.

Cromarty
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 09, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Cromarty » Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:23 pm

/demands sticky
Cerian Quilor wrote:There's a difference between breaking the rules, and being well....Cromarty...
<Koth>all sexual orientations must unite under the relative sexiness of madjack
Former Delegate of Osiris
Brommander of the Cartan Militia: They're Taking The Cartans To Isengard!
Кромартий

Magnum Ultra
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Magnum Ultra » Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:25 pm

awesome guide
♔||The Grand Empire of Magnum Ultra||♔
♔|| Factbook of Magnum Ultra|| ♔
♔ ||Ultran Resources || Imperial Ordnance Corp.||

Central and Eastern Visayas
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Central and Eastern Visayas » Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:01 am

Cromarty wrote:/demands sticky

I second the motion.
If believing in God means I am less than human in the eyes of some, fine; I will wear my yellow badge with pride.

TIMEZONE: GMT +8
1. In a gunless society, the strong prey on the weak with utter impunity.
2. Yes, I'm a Roman Catholic from the Philippines. And I know how much ass PH sucks at the moment.
3. Bastard with ADHD. Yep.
4. PDAF can go to hell!
Economic Left/Right: 6.62
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -1.49
Or: This.

Milograd
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Milograd » Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:08 am

I'm glad to see that this was stickied. Hopefully this can help some people out.
Retired

Dukopolious
Minister

Founded: Jun 17, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Dukopolious » Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:42 am

The Treorai wrote:Tag for easy refrence.

Greater Evil Imperial Japanese Dystopia wrote:Tag for easy reference as well. :p

You don't need to post to tag. Just click bookmark or subscribe on the bottom of the page.

Anyways,

This guild is AMAZING. I'd suggest you provide links to nice looking emblems and such for comunique examples, or perhaps threads where an image creator can make one for the NS'er. :D
Mallorea and Riva should resign

Cromarty
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Cromarty » Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:45 am

Or you could make your images >.>
Cerian Quilor wrote:There's a difference between breaking the rules, and being well....Cromarty...
Кромартий

Dukopolious
Minister

Founded: Jun 17, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Dukopolious » Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:48 am

Cromarty wrote:Or you could make your images >.>

I know, It's just helpfull for the younger nations to see examples, like the ones in the links, and how they should refelct your nation and it's flag more than the topic it regards, so that people don't end up just putting a box of words that says "Official Communique From [Full name of Nation]" and forget about the image.

Or go overboard. I'll use GEIJD for example (no offensce), his pictures are twice as long as the message, and they are all bascially flags. Thank god he spoilers them.
Mallorea and Riva should resign

Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Greater Evil Imperial Japanese Dystopia » Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:38 am

Dukopolious wrote:
Cromarty wrote:Or you could make your images >.>

I know, It's just helpfull for the younger nations to see examples, like the ones in the links, and how they should refelct your nation and it's flag more than the topic it regards, so that people don't end up just putting a box of words that says "Official Communique From [Full name of Nation]" and forget about the image.

Or go overboard. I'll use GEIJD for example (no offensce), his pictures are twice as long as the message, and they are all bascially flags. Thank god he spoilers them.

I actually changed mine. It has been a while since it is different. :D
    Currently warring.
Military, including paramilitaries: uncounted; numerous warring factions (currently state of war)
Compass
Death is nothing, but to live defeated and inglorious is to die daily. - Napoleon Bonaparte
DEFCON:

New Hayesalia
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 21, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby New Hayesalia » Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:08 am

I typically use two communiques, that being a letter and official government communication. The letters tend to be very image-heavy and are used for personal messages, the official communications for political stuff. Here's them:

LONG LIVE THE QUEEN- LONG LIVE NEW HAYESALIA.
COMPATIENS, LIBERA, ET CONTUMAX
SUBJECT-QUOTE

To
Signed,
Queen Olivia Granville I,
Queen of New Hayesalia,

Transcribed for and signed on behalf of,
Daniel Hayes,
Prime Minister of New Hayesalia,

Signed,
Anthony Scapalotti,
Deputy Prime Minister of New Hayesalia,

LONG LIVE THE QUEEN- LONG LIVE NEW HAYESALIA.
COMPATIENS, LIBERA, ET CONTUMAX

MESSAGE.

Official Message of the Greater Island Kingdom of New Hayesalia
Compatiens, Libera, et Contumax

Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Greater Evil Imperial Japanese Dystopia » Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:58 am

This is my new one...

Official People's Communist Socialist Red Imperial Communiqué from the Empire/帝国からの公式帝国接触/帝国日本の政府の公式伝達

“八紘一宇, 富国強兵, 尊王攘夷, 天皇陛下万歳! 聖戦!!!”

To: Highly Esteemed --Insert Name--
From: The Tokugawa-Qianglong Uchiha Imperial Royal Dynastic Imperial Akatsuki-Kairoshuu Regime of the Imperial Fire Nation Government Military Regime of the Empire of Greater Evil Imperial Japanese Dystopia's Supreme Leader: The Emperor Himself (His Divine Majesty, His Imperial Highness, the Comrade People's Emperor of Japan)
Encryption: Nuclear Extremely High Security

Dear --insert name--,

--Text here--

Amaterasu wills it, the Rising Sun wills it, I will it.

Be it Decreed by the People, The Military, The Politburo, The Emperor.

Sincerely, Our Eternal Great People's Communist Revolutionary Socialist Red Immortal Emperor Tokugawa-Qianglong Uchiha no Yuan Zong Huangdi no Muteki no sama no Tenno Heika no Kami Banzai-sama no Wagakimi-sama no Yamato-tenshii-sama, The Great Immortal Fatherly + Brotherly Guide + Leader of the People's Imperial Huangdiist Revolution, The all-powerful warrior who, because of his endurance and inflexible will to win, goes from conquest to conquest, leaving fire in his wake, has spoken.
    Currently warring.
Compass
DEFCON:

Cromarty
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Cromarty » Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:05 am

Those posting their communique layouts are missing the point of this guide. It's not about the images/layout... it's also, and this is more important imo, about the language you're using.
Кромартий

Milograd
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Milograd » Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:47 pm

Cromarty wrote:Those posting their communique layouts are missing the point of this guide. It's not about the images/layout... it's also, and this is more important imo, about the language you're using.

This.

Additionally, content is always more important than formatting.
Retired

Ostronopolis
Minister

Father Knows Best State

Postby Ostronopolis » Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:58 pm

Milograd wrote:
Cromarty wrote:Those posting their communique layouts are missing the point of this guide. It's not about the images/layout... it's also, and this is more important imo, about the language you're using.

This.

Additionally, content is always more important than formatting.

Indeed. Please refer to the "Imagery" section which states, “Oh how verbose you are…” - Ultimately, the majority of your communique will be words. This is the point. Ensure to include the coat of arms and maybe a signature of ten, but also ensure words are the main point.

Summary: use good design detail; sign your paperwork, use mostly writing."

Quotes:

The Black Plains
Senator

Founded: Jan 18, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby The Black Plains » Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:41 pm

I like this. Especially the part about imagery. Opening your communique with an enormous, flashy seal and then closing it with another enormous flashy seal is something that really irks me. That and using things like skulls, fire, blood, etc. in seals. If you're trying so hard to make people take you seriously, nobody will. However the seal should ultimately depend on the type of government you have. I've resisted the temptation of a flashy seal (my government is a company, we are cheap and we prize efficiency) and my seal is simply this:

I like it because it is sleek and because if you see it enough, it's easy to remember what it is as the company initials are the main focus of the seal. Although I must say that I've seen some seals that were simply breathtakingly beautiful... and I have been jealous of some. :D

The one part I kind of frowned upon was insisting upon the usage of, for lack of a better term, legal mumbo jumbo. My government does not issue public communiques or declarations of any kind quite often, but if we did it simply wouldn't be in our nature to use fluff words or phrases. In other words I'd essentially have to go against my nation's pattern of behavior in order to write a good communique... I really think that something like this is more individual flavor and touch than something necessary to give a communique or declaration legitimacy. I read communiques with mumbo jumbo in them all the time, and that's fine. But I don't think less of a communique if a nation chooses to forego it. Just my ten cents worth. Again, though, I liked everything else. Especially the part about grammar and spelling.

Ostronopolis
Minister

Father Knows Best State

Postby Ostronopolis » Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:52 pm

The Black Plains wrote:I like this. Especially the part about imagery. Opening your communique with an enormous, flashy seal and then closing it with another enormous flashy seal is something that really irks me. That and using things like skulls, fire, blood, etc. in seals. If you're trying so hard to make people take you seriously, nobody will. However the seal should ultimately depend on the type of government you have. I've resisted the temptation of a flashy seal (my government is a company, we are cheap and we prize efficiency) and my seal is simply this:

(Image)

I like it because it is sleek and because if you see it enough, it's easy to remember what it is as the company initials are the main focus of the seal. Although I must say that I've seen some seals that were simply breathtakingly beautiful... and I have been jealous of some. :D

The one part I kind of frowned upon was insisting upon the usage of, for lack of a better term, legal mumbo jumbo. My government does not issue public communiques or declarations of any kind quite often, but if we did it simply wouldn't be in our nature to use fluff words or phrases. In other words I'd essentially have to go against my nation's pattern of behavior in order to write a good communique... I really think that something like this is more individual flavor and touch than something necessary to give a communique or declaration legitimacy. I read communiques with mumbo jumbo in them all the time, and that's fine. But I don't think less of a communique if a nation chooses to forego it. Just my ten cents worth. Again, though, I liked everything else. Especially the part about grammar and spelling.

Thank you for the positive comments. On the matter of "legalese" please refer to what I wrote: Yes, communiqués should be imbued with some degree of “legalese.” No this does not mean it should be written so verbosely as some laws. Finding the proper degree is key here. A communique is after all, a legal document, but it is also from a public agency.

Basically, it's not necessary to use legal mumbo-jumbo in excess. It's merely a requirement of a good communique to use formality in conjunction with your state's (or corporation's) style.
Last edited by Ostronopolis on Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Quotes:

The Black Plains
Senator

Founded: Jan 18, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby The Black Plains » Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:29 pm

Ostronopolis wrote:
The Black Plains wrote:I like this. Especially the part about imagery. Opening your communique with an enormous, flashy seal and then closing it with another enormous flashy seal is something that really irks me. That and using things like skulls, fire, blood, etc. in seals. If you're trying so hard to make people take you seriously, nobody will. However the seal should ultimately depend on the type of government you have. I've resisted the temptation of a flashy seal (my government is a company, we are cheap and we prize efficiency) and my seal is simply this:

(Image)

Thank you for the positive comments. On the matter of "legalese" please refer to what I wrote: Yes, communiqués should be imbued with some degree of “legalese.” No this does not mean it should be written so verbosely as some laws. Finding the proper degree is key here. A communique is after all, a legal document, but it is also from a public agency.

Basically, it's not necessary to use legal mumbo-jumbo in excess. It's merely a requirement of a good communique to use formality in conjunction with your state's (or corporation's) style.

Eh, works for me.

The State of Monavia
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 27, 2006
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby The State of Monavia » Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:36 pm

This is another "win thread" in which somebody addresses a sorely overlooked matter and shines a beam of light into a dark corner. Ostro has my thanks and commendation for putting this together.

Speaking of how I format my diplomatic correspondence, perhaps I should enclude a spoilered example:

[date]

[opening]

text

Sincerely,

The Right Honorable Frank Carter
Minister of Foreign Affairs

Of course, there are some problems with the translations in the letterhead. Here's an example of a letter from another thread:

November 17, 2011

Mr. President:

Early this morning, at approximately ten minutes to nine, I received a letter directly from the Monavian embassy in Hamburg. The letter contained a copy of a recent piece of tax legislation titled “The Declaration of Foreign Tax Amendment” and a short request by Ambassador Panay to review the law and make an inquiry into a few matters of its interpretation.

The Monavian government in general, and my office and those of the Minister of Commerce and the Minister of the Treasury in particular, have an interest in knowing a few things about the application of the law in regard to what extent incomes are taxable.

The law states that, “all non-permanent residents of foreign background and origin, here upon are enforced to submit, and officially be deducted from his or her total annual income” a specified portion of that income. The problem I have with interpreting this statement is that it does not state whether this tax is restricted to whatever portion of incomes are earned by non-permanent residents of foreign background in the Yohannesian Commonwealth, or if it extends to income earned in other sovereign states. Another question of interpretation arises from the vague language of the second clause, which refers to “total inheritance asset monetary value.” Can you provide my office, either directly or through another office, with the intended interpretation of those words?

My office also has become intrigued by your decision to ask His Majesty to authorize a tax which can only be levied against a proportionally small number of people when such a tax is unlikely to produce much new revenue for the Yohannesian government. As a select few Monavian nationals acquire residences in your sovereign territory, it would be wise not to scare off potential tourism, immigration, or other vehicles of economic growth, such as foreign consumption by means of acquisition.

The continued cooperation and friendship between the Monavian government and the Yohannesian government have been much appreciated and are hoped to increase in the future. I look forward to your reply and hope that it will elucidate the interpretation of the law so that Monavian tax lawyers and accountants will not be mired in any sort of confusion.

Sincerely,

Any thoughts?
——✠ ✠——THE IMPERIAL FEDERATION OF THE MONAVIAN EMPIRE——✠ ✠——
FACTBOOKS AND LOREROLEPLAY CANONDIPLOMATIC EXCHANGE

MY GUIDES ON ROLEPLAYING DIPLOMACY, ROLEPLAY ETIQUETTE, CREATING A NEW NATION,
LEARNING HOW TO ROLEPLAY (FORTHCOMING), AND ROLEPLAYING EVIL (PART ONE)

Seventeen-Year Veteran of NationStates ∙ Retired N&I Roleplay Mentor
Member of the NS Writing Project and the Roleplayers Union
I am a classical monarchist Orthodox Christian from Phoenix, Arizona.

✠ᴥ✠ᴥ✠

/‾‾ʽʼ‾‾\

Ostronopolis
Minister

Father Knows Best State

Postby Ostronopolis » Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:15 pm

The State of Monavia wrote:
This is another "win thread" in which somebody addresses a sorely overlooked matter and shines a beam of light into a dark corner. Ostro has my thanks and commendation for putting this together.

Speaking of how I format my diplomatic correspondence, perhaps I should enclude a spoilered example:

[spoiler]

[date]

[opening]

text

Sincerely,

Of course, there are some problems with the translations in the letterhead. Here's an example of a letter from another thread:

November 17, 2011

Mr. President:

Early this morning, at approximately ten minutes to nine, I received a letter directly from the Monavian embassy in Hamburg. The letter contained a copy of a recent piece of tax legislation titled “The Declaration of Foreign Tax Amendment” and a short request by Ambassador Panay to review the law and make an inquiry into a few matters of its interpretation.

The Monavian government in general, and my office and those of the Minister of Commerce and the Minister of the Treasury in particular, have an interest in knowing a few things about the application of the law in regard to what extent incomes are taxable.

The law states that, “all non-permanent residents of foreign background and origin, here upon are enforced to submit, and officially be deducted from his or her total annual income” a specified portion of that income. The problem I have with interpreting this statement is that it does not state whether this tax is restricted to whatever portion of incomes are earned by non-permanent residents of foreign background in the Yohannesian Commonwealth, or if it extends to income earned in other sovereign states. Another question of interpretation arises from the vague language of the second clause, which refers to “total inheritance asset monetary value.” Can you provide my office, either directly or through another office, with the intended interpretation of those words?

My office also has become intrigued by your decision to ask His Majesty to authorize a tax which can only be levied against a proportionally small number of people when such a tax is unlikely to produce much new revenue for the Yohannesian government. As a select few Monavian nationals acquire residences in your sovereign territory, it would be wise not to scare off potential tourism, immigration, or other vehicles of economic growth, such as foreign consumption by means of acquisition.

The continued cooperation and friendship between the Monavian government and the Yohannesian government have been much appreciated and are hoped to increase in the future. I look forward to your reply and hope that it will elucidate the interpretation of the law so that Monavian tax lawyers and accountants will not be mired in any sort of confusion.

Sincerely,

Any thoughts?[/spoiler]

Thank you Monavia. Actually, that is an excellent example of a communique. Perhaps the only change I would make to it is more out of a personal aesthetic appeal - adding a signature picture. This isn't really necessary, it's just necessary to have a signature (which you do). But otherwise, excellent. :)

Quotes:

The State of Monavia
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 27, 2006
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby The State of Monavia » Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:29 pm

I will be preparing some new letterheads with the correct translations added in.
——✠ ✠——THE IMPERIAL FEDERATION OF THE MONAVIAN EMPIRE——✠ ✠——
FACTBOOKS AND LOREROLEPLAY CANONDIPLOMATIC EXCHANGE

MY GUIDES ON ROLEPLAYING DIPLOMACY, ROLEPLAY ETIQUETTE, CREATING A NEW NATION,
LEARNING HOW TO ROLEPLAY (FORTHCOMING), AND ROLEPLAYING EVIL (PART ONE)

Seventeen-Year Veteran of NationStates ∙ Retired N&I Roleplay Mentor
Member of the NS Writing Project and the Roleplayers Union
I am a classical monarchist Orthodox Christian from Phoenix, Arizona.

✠ᴥ✠ᴥ✠

/‾‾ʽʼ‾‾\

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to International Incidents