NATION

PASSWORD

How did we go 24 pages w/o a gun control debate?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Nordfire
Lobbyist

Founded: Dec 12, 2008
Ex-Nation

Re: How did we go 24 pages w/o a gun control debate?

Postby Nordfire » Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:37 pm

Secruss wrote:"I think shotguns and hunting rifles should be available to farmers etc who actually put good use to weapons. Why would anyone else need a gun? I'm quite happy with the way things are over here."Which country are you from?

England.

Secruss
Ambassador

Founded: May 06, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Secruss » Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:41 pm

OK. That was my guess.

I got nothing to say about England's laws. I don't live there, so I can't take part.

To Cat-Tribe:
"How now!" cried Jupiter "Are you not yet content? You have what you asked for and so you have only yourselves to blame for your misfortunes."

Gun Manufacturers
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 23, 2006
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Gun Manufacturers » Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:42 pm

Nordfire wrote:I think shotguns and hunting rifles should be available to farmers etc who actually put good use to weapons. Why would anyone else need a gun? I'm quite happy with the way things are over here.

I need a rifle for putting holes in paper from 100+ yards away. See, I can't throw the bullets that accurately or that far, so my rifle does it for me. My sister and brother in law law need firearms to put deer meat in the freezer, and to get rid of the burrowing animals that keep digging holes in their yard (which cause trip hazards for their kids, family, and friends).
Gun control is like trying to solve drunk driving by making it harder for sober people to own cars.

Any accident you can walk away from is one I can laugh at.

DOJ's interpretation of the 2nd Amendment: http://www.justice.gov/sites/default/fi ... -p0126.pdf

Natapoc wrote:...You should post more in here so I don't seem like the extremist...

Auraelius wrote:If you take the the TITANIC, and remove the letters T, T, and one of the I's, and add the letters C,O,S,P,R, and Y you get CONSPIRACY. oOooOooooOOOooooOOOOOOoooooooo

Maineiacs wrote:Give a man a fish and he eats for a day, teach a man to fish and he'll sit in a boat and get drunk all day.

Luw wrote:Politics is like having two handfuls of shit - one that smells bad and one that looks bad - and having to decide which one to put in your mouth.

Nordfire
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Nordfire » Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:44 pm

Gun Manufacturers wrote:I need a rifle for putting holes in paper from 100+ yards away. See, I can't throw the bullets that accurately or that far, so my rifle does it for me.

Humourous, but not a decent reason to have a gun.

Gun Manufacturers wrote:My sister and brother in law law need firearms to put deer meat in the freezer, and to get rid of the burrowing animals that keep digging holes in their yard (which cause trip hazards for their kids, family, and friends).

That's putting guns to good use, which I have no problem with.

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Founded: Aug 20, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:45 pm

Nordfire wrote:
Gun Manufacturers wrote:My sister and brother in law law need firearms to put deer meat in the freezer, and to get rid of the burrowing animals that keep digging holes in their yard (which cause trip hazards for their kids, family, and friends).

I need one because I live in a bad neighborhood where even the police are afraid to go after dark.
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
The Parkus Empire: Being serious on NSG is like wearing a suit to a nude beach.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

Nordfire
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Nordfire » Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:46 pm

Secruss wrote:I got nothing to say about England's laws. I don't live there, so I can't take part.

Surely you can discuss another country's laws without living there?

Nordfire
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Nordfire » Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:48 pm

Galloism wrote:I need one because I live in a bad neighborhood where even the police are afraid to go after dark.

Do the criminals in said neighbourhood own guns?

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Founded: Aug 20, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:50 pm

Nordfire wrote:
Galloism wrote:I need one because I live in a bad neighborhood where even the police are afraid to go after dark.

Do the criminals in said neighbourhood own guns?

Yes, but for most of them not legally.
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
The Parkus Empire: Being serious on NSG is like wearing a suit to a nude beach.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

Gun Manufacturers
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 23, 2006
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Gun Manufacturers » Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:51 pm

Nordfire wrote:
Gun Manufacturers wrote:I need a rifle for putting holes in paper from 100+ yards away. See, I can't throw the bullets that accurately or that far, so my rifle does it for me.

Humourous, but not a decent reason to have a gun.

Fortunately, in the US, need is irrelevant when purchasing a firearm. :D
Gun control is like trying to solve drunk driving by making it harder for sober people to own cars.

Any accident you can walk away from is one I can laugh at.

DOJ's interpretation of the 2nd Amendment: http://www.justice.gov/sites/default/fi ... -p0126.pdf

Natapoc wrote:...You should post more in here so I don't seem like the extremist...

Auraelius wrote:If you take the the TITANIC, and remove the letters T, T, and one of the I's, and add the letters C,O,S,P,R, and Y you get CONSPIRACY. oOooOooooOOOooooOOOOOOoooooooo

Maineiacs wrote:Give a man a fish and he eats for a day, teach a man to fish and he'll sit in a boat and get drunk all day.

Luw wrote:Politics is like having two handfuls of shit - one that smells bad and one that looks bad - and having to decide which one to put in your mouth.

Sevengates
Lobbyist

Founded: Mar 10, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Sevengates » Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:52 pm

Maurepas wrote:Depends, I would say the government has no right to take your guns away....

However if your arsenal starts to out step the US military, then there are problems...

that's the most important reason for citizens to posses, own, and handle fire arms.

Now I don't mean that your average Person possesses a gun more powerful then the US military, just something maybe equal to the M16 or AK 47. The reason is so that if needed a forced revolution can be preformed for the people benefit (if you live in a democratic nation).

Also so that if you can only get your hands on a two bullet clip max for a Glock due to strict government positioned laws then that DICK who try's to rob and/or rape you bought his Smith and Weston 500 behind the seven eleven that has more force and more bullets dos not ever occur.

i mean there has to be happy median.
I wana cast a spell.

Sevengates
Lobbyist

Founded: Mar 10, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Sevengates » Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:57 pm

Nordfire wrote:Humourous, but not a decent reason to have a gun.

Yes, but if you buy your gun legally, whats going to happen to The people that buy them illegally and don't have any government supervision.

i know, they still get guns, no one else dos, and crime goes up.
I wana cast a spell.

Bluth Corporation
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 15, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Bluth Corporation » Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:20 pm

The Cat-Tribe wrote:Neither the Second Amendment nor any natural right to bear arms is absolute.

This is incorrect. All rights are absolute.

Just like with free speech or any other right, there are some limitations on the right.

Not legitimately.

In the ground-breaking case of District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. ___ (2008), SCOTUS made clear for the first time that the Second Amendment protects an individual right to possess a firearm. BUT the Court limited the scope of its decision to the possession and legal use of handguns. FURTHER, the Court was very clear that such a right was far from absolute or applied to all weapons

Irrelevant. The Supreme Court is not the arbiter of our rights; objective moral principle is.
The Huge Mistake of Bluth Corporation
Capital: Newport Beach, Shostakovich | Starting Quarterback: Peyton Manning #18 | Company President: Michael Bluth

Champions of: World Bowl X

You should really be using Slackware

Saige Dragon
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 06, 2003
Ex-Nation

Postby Saige Dragon » Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:44 pm

Straight up I don't have a problem with gun ownership. If you want and AR-15 so you can go and pretend you'll be there to fight back when the commies take over, fine. If you want a pistol so you can plink away on weekend, go for it. If you need to fill the freezer in the fall, go get a hunting rifle.

Here in Canada the CFSC to get one's Non-Restricted PAL (hunting firearms, so rifles and shotguns) license is generally 10 hours and includes both a written and practical examination. What irks me about it is that one can challenge the exam, without taking the course. All the course does is provide information. Information isn't bad, it doesn't harm anyone. All it does is insure everybody who receives their PAL gets the same education and training in regards to firearms. And it's 10 hours, that's one day. Add another 6 if you want your Restricted (handguns and other non-prohibited concealable firearms). 2 days and you can go buy Desert Eagle if you wanted. And you would know how to use it, properly and safely!

I don't honestly have a problem with firearm registration either. In case of a gun crime with a registered firearm, it does allow the proper authorities access to information regarding the guns use, the owner, whether the firearm is stolen or not, etc... A good gun registry serves the same purpose as a car registry. It doesn't criminalize innocent people, it keeps track of potentially dangerous items.

What I do have a problem with is guns that get into the wrong hands. The hands of people with a violent criminal history. The hands of people with an unstable mental disorder. The hands of people uneducated in firearms, their use and purpose. It's unfortunate that we have to live and cope in a world, where firearms are now seen as a weapon for evil purposes and not as a tool or a fun past time. The Canada I now live in isn't the same Canada my dad and his brothers grew up in. I couldn't bring my unregistered, unlicensed .22 to school so my buds and I could go varmint shooting after class. But due to the actions of certain people we do live in such a world and therefore we have to act accordingly.

Bluth Corporation
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Bluth Corporation » Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:53 pm

Saige Dragon wrote:I don't honestly have a problem with firearm registration either.

Makes it way too easy for the tyrants to confiscate them all.
Capital: Newport Beach, Shostakovich | Starting Quarterback: Peyton Manning #18 | Company President: Michael Bluth

Saige Dragon
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Saige Dragon » Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:54 pm

Bluth Corporation wrote:
Saige Dragon wrote:I don't honestly have a problem with firearm registration either.

I live in Canada. There aren't any tyrants.

Phenia
Senator

Founded: May 06, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Phenia » Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:57 pm

Bluth Corporation wrote:This is incorrect. All rights are absolute.

That is not an argument. Make an argument or stop spamming the board with your copied and pasted catch-phrases.

Bluth Corporation wrote:Not legitimately.

That is not an argument. Make an argument or stop spamming the board with your copied and pasted catch-phrases.

Bluth Corporation wrote:Irrelevant. The Supreme Court is not the arbiter of our rights; objective moral principle is.

Altergo
Diplomat

Founded: May 25, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Altergo » Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:00 pm

Bluth Corporation wrote:

The Bill of Rights in USA say you have the right to take up Arms. That includes Guns, knifes, Swords or any other weapon.

Metallic Slumber
Diplomat

Founded: May 19, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Metallic Slumber » Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:00 pm

Brogavia wrote:This is by far the most unlikely thing that has ever happened.

NSG, without its a gun control debate? Its madness I tell you!.

But really, where do you stand on Victim disarmarment aka gun control?

Personally, I believe that there are no constitutionally allowable restrictions on a citizens right to own a firearm.

Well... As long as you are sane, and have no sever criminal record of violence with a foreign object. And know how to handle a gun. Well it's a lot like the United States Rule on guns.
Defcon: 4
Read the spoiler if ya wanna know my military equipment.
Embassies in MS: Barnetsville
Embassies in other Countries: Barnetsville
Military equipment in Metallic Slumber:

E-44 Fighter plane, can be mass produced. And is a cheaper equivalent of the F-16 at 30 million a piece in MS money.
E-67 Fighter Plane. The superior plane to the E-44. At 167 mill a piece in MS money.
Z-6 Bomber Plane. Can be slightly mass produced at 45 mill MS money. Better than the B-52 Stratofortress, but not as good as the B-2 Spirit.
M4 Carbine is the widely used weapon for “normal” infantry.
MP5-N and variants for Special ops mostly.
M1-A2 Tanks and M1 Tanks and LAC’s.
Weapons to advance when they advance higher in real life except for the planes. And these are just the ones mostly used.

Der Teutoniker
Powerbroker

Founded: Jan 09, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Der Teutoniker » Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:03 pm

Maurepas wrote:Depends, I would say the government has no right to take your guns away....

However if your arsenal starts to out step the US military, then there are problems...

This. I think that some citizens should have access to some military-grade small arms (citizens with impeccable criminal histories). But the point at which people expect the gov't to start handing out tank licensure, or heavy ordinance permits, people are going a little nuts. I don't think, in any part of the country, it should be illegal for law-abiding citizens to legally carry small arms, and I doubt that will ever happen. Perhaps if some radical gov't change happens, but likely not before then.
South Lorenya wrote:occasionally we get someone who has a rap sheet longer than Jormungandr

Austin Setzer wrote:We found a couple of ancient documents, turned them into the bible, and now its the symbol of christianity.

ARM Forces wrote:Strep-throat is an infection in the throat, caused by eating too much refined sugar! Rubbing more sugar directly on it is the worst thing you can possibly do.

Dumb Ideologies wrote:Communism and anarchy; same unachievable end, different impractical means.

Bluth Corporation
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Bluth Corporation » Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:05 pm

Saige Dragon wrote:
Bluth Corporation wrote:

Are there taxes? If so, then there are tyrants.

Are there laws keeping you from putting whatever you want in your own body? If so, then there are tyrants.

Are there laws keeping you from deciding for yourself who you will and will not deal with in your business proceedings, and basing those decision on whatever criteria you choose? If so, then there are tyrants.

And this is ignoring the potentiality of future tyrants who are even worse, and for whom you need to be prepared beforehand.

Bluth Corporation
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Bluth Corporation » Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:06 pm

Phenia wrote:
Bluth Corporation wrote:This is incorrect. All rights are absolute.

That is not an argument.

Yes, it is.

copied and pasted catch-phrases.

Who's copy-and-pasting?

Bluth Corporation
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Bluth Corporation » Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:07 pm

Der Teutoniker wrote:But the point at which people expect the gov't to start handing out tank licensure, or heavy ordinance permits,

The government has no business requiring licenses for ownership of ANY SORT of weapon. Any restrictions are inherently illegitimate.

How else are we supposed to be able to revolt, if we can't achieve parity?

Saige Dragon
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Saige Dragon » Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:09 pm

Bluth Corporation wrote:Are there taxes? If so, then there are tyrants.

Are there laws keeping you from putting whatever you want in your own body? If so, then there are tyrants.

Are there laws keeping you from deciding for yourself who you will and will not deal with in your business proceedings, and basing those decision on whatever criteria you choose? If so, then there are tyrants.

And this is ignoring the potentiality of future tyrants who are even worse, and for whom you need to be prepared beforehand.

Wikipedia wrote:In modern usage, a tyrant carries modern connotations of a harsh and cruel ruler who places his or her own interests or the interests of a small oligarchy over the best interests of the general population which the tyrant governs or controls.

Last edited by Saige Dragon on Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:13 pm

Saige Dragon wrote:
Bluth Corporation wrote:Are there taxes? If so, then there are tyrants.

Wikipedia wrote:In modern usage, a tyrant carries modern connotations of a harsh and cruel ruler who places his or her own interests or the interests of a small oligarchy over the best interests of the general population which the tyrant governs or controls.

According Bluth, however, if you live anywhere there is a government, there are tyrants.
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Der Teutoniker
Powerbroker

Founded: Jan 09, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Der Teutoniker » Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:14 pm

Saige Dragon wrote:

Sorry, but "modern usage" according to wikipedia is not the end-all.

He is clearly arguing an alternative definition of tyrant, you don't have to agree, but all you are arguing is that his personal connotation is wrong... which is kind of foolhardy.
South Lorenya wrote:occasionally we get someone who has a rap sheet longer than Jormungandr

Austin Setzer wrote:We found a couple of ancient documents, turned them into the bible, and now its the symbol of christianity.

ARM Forces wrote:Strep-throat is an infection in the throat, caused by eating too much refined sugar! Rubbing more sugar directly on it is the worst thing you can possibly do.

Dumb Ideologies wrote:Communism and anarchy; same unachievable end, different impractical means.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General