NATION

PASSWORD

[PASSED] International Expositions of Culture

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.
Astro-Malsitari WA Seat
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Sep 04, 2011
Ex-Nation

[PASSED] International Expositions of Culture

Postby Astro-Malsitari WA Seat » Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:06 pm

SUBMITTED! Delegates, please approve here!
International Expositions Act
A resolution to promote funding and the development of education and the arts.

Category: Education and Creativity
Area of Effect: Cultural Heritage
Proposed by: Astrolinium

Description: THE WORLD ASSEMBLY,

NOTING the vast cultural heritage and rich, diverse traditions of its member states,

REMEMBERING its goal of "[i]mproving the world one resolution at a time",

BELIEVING that, on occasion, it is called for to improve the world by stopping to recognize the culture and achievements of its member states,

HEREBY declares that an International Exposition of Culture be held every year for the purpose of fostering international goodwill and recognizing the culture of member states,

CREATES the International Exposition Authority (IEA) to regulate the expositions and to select a city within the jurisdiction of a WA member state each year for the purposes of hosting this exposition,

STIPULATES that chosen cities have the right to refuse their nomination,

DECLARES that these expositions should be carried out in the manner of a worldwide fair,

INVITES all member states to set up pavilions at these expositions where they may showcase their achievements and unique culture to citizens of the world,

ALLOWS member states to charge for entry and use of services/facilities in order to help ameliorate the burden of the costs,

EMPHASIZES that the host nation retains the following rights:
  • to bar entry to certain nations with which they are in economic or military conflict
  • to expel foreign individuals from the exposition should they break the laws of the host nation
  • to impose individual standards which respect the purposes and means of this resolution;

FURTHER NOTES that member-states may not omit certain ideologies, cultures, or beliefs from these conventions, nor may they expel nations or individuals due solely to their ideologies, cultures, or beliefs unless the beliefs in question are discriminatory, racist, grotesquely offensive to those who do not practice the beliefs, or physically dangerous.

ENCOURAGES member states to seek funds from private entities to assist with the above goal.

Co-Authored by [nation=short]Connopolis[/nation]

I am Dr. Giovanni Romero, and I think it's time the WA took a short break from controversy and squabbles and morality and natsov and passed something lighthearted and nice that everyone can enjoy. So why not establish a World's Fair under a different name? Yes, I know it's not an "international issue". Yes, I know it's not a "pressing matter" or "particularly" "important" "business". But, to be honest, I don't care. Come on, let's pass a feel-good resolution that doesn't really intrude on national sovereignty and doesn't deal with something overly controversial!
Oh, and you can make a quick buck off it, too.
Last edited by Goobergunchia on Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:00 pm, edited 9 times in total.
Representing the interests of Malsitar and Astrolinium in the World Assembly
| The Sublime Island Kingdom of Astrolinium | Ambassador to the WA: Dr. Giovanni Romero, PhD | Chief Justice and Vice Magister of The South |
| The Unified Federal Republics of Malsitar | Ambassador to the WA: Dr. Chandler Whitt, LLD | Citizen of Spiritus |
And of course, Giovanni's illegitimate child and everyone's favorite pervy teen, Melvin Ruiz Walsh-Romero!

Deinyrsh
Secretary

Founded: Sep 16, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Deinyrsh » Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:17 pm

love it: reginal and international cultural competitions (marching band competitions) and other cultural festivals should be aimed occur with the fair(in time and place). Also, i think the fair should be free, AT LEAST in large part, and AT least for students, children and seniors. the internatinal body should compensate the host nation for this. Also, regional allys of the host nation, especially those that share a common language should be ENCOURAGED to OFFER a contingent of police to ensure saftey and enjoyment of the event. persons who commit commit crime should be charged for breaking international law.

Knootoss
Senator

Founded: Antiquity
Left-Leaning College State

[Draft] International Expositions of Culture

Postby Knootoss » Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:18 pm

Yeah! Let us create another committee that will force Member States to waste money on something that even the author a knowledges is unimportant and designed to make us feel good about ourselves!

On second thought, let's not.

- Aram Koopman

Ideological Bulwark #7 - RPed population preserves relative population sizes. Webgame population / 100 is used by default. If this doesn't work for you and it is relevant to our RP, please TG.

Deinyrsh
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Deinyrsh » Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:31 pm

Knootoss wrote:Yeah! Let us create another committee that will force Member States to waste money on something that even the author a knowledges is unimportant and designed to make us feel good about ourselves!

- Aram Koopman

lets not desighn it to make us feel good about oruselves, but to spread love and understanding, to expand our minds, to promote cooperation and teamwork between our nations. this is most certaintly NOT a waste of time or money.
Last edited by Deinyrsh on Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Connopolis
Minister

Founded: May 01, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Connopolis » Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:34 pm

International Expositions of Culture
A resolution to promote funding and the development of education and the arts.

Category: Education and Creativity
Area of Effect: Cultural Heritage
Proposed by: Astrolinium

Description: THE WORLD ASSEMBLY,

NOTING the vast cultural heritage and rich, diverse traditions of its member states,

REMEMBERING its goal of "improving the world one resolution at a time",

BELIEVING that, on occasion, it is called for to improve the world by stopping to recognize the culture and achievements of its member states,

The World Assembly therefore:

DECLARES that an International Exposition of Culture be held every year for the purpose of fostering international goodwill and recognizing the culture of member states,

CREATES the International Exposition Authority (IEA) to regulate the expositions and to select a city within the jurisdiction of a WA member state each year for the purposes of hosting this exposition,

DECLARES that these expositions should be carried out in the manner of a worldwide fair,

INVITES all member states to set up pavilions at these expositions where they may showcase their achievements and unique culture to citizens of the world,

ALLOWS member states to charge for entry and use of services/facilities in order to help ameliorate the costs,

NOTES that the host nation shall retain the right to:

1) Expel certain nations in which they are in economic, or militaristic conflict with,
2) Expel foreign individuals from the convention, should they break laws of the host nation,
3) Facilitate individual regulations that do not violate the provisions of this resolution,

FURTHER NOTES that member-states may not omit certain ideologies, cultures, or beliefs expressed at these conventions, nor may they expel nations due to their ideologies, cultures, or beliefs,
ENCOURAGES member states to seek funds from private entities to assist with the above goal.

Just some spacing and formatting, but overall, this is great. The bureaucracy could go, but I'm not bothered either way.

Yours in support,
Last edited by Connopolis on Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:12 pm, edited 4 times in total.
From the office of,
Mrs. Pamela Howell
GA Ambassador of the Connopolian Ministry of Foreign Affairs

Knootoss
Senator

[Draft] International Expositions of Culture

Postby Knootoss » Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:34 pm

We already have Captain Planet to do these things.

Ideological Bulwark #7 - RPed population preserves relative population sizes. Webgame population / 100 is used by default. If this doesn't work for you and it is relevant to our RP, please TG.

Astro-Malsitari WA Seat
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Astro-Malsitari WA Seat » Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:35 pm

Knootoss wrote:Yeah! Let us create another committee that will force Member States to waste money on something that even the author a knowledges is unimportant and designed to make us feel good about ourselves!

- Aram Koopman

Very well. Everybody remember from now on that we're not allowed to do anything the least bit lighthearted or even the least bit lacking in the areas of "urgent issues" and "proper decorum" when Dr. Koopman is in the room. Pop all your inflatable Gandalfs and put your hippos in the closets, ladies and gentlemen, for Aram Koopman is with us, and he doesn't want this body to do anything that might be a nice chance to organize something that the people of the world can enjoy. Vacate your frivolous offices, cease appreciation of your numismatics, send your MWA kids home, fire your professional resolution readers, and tear down your museums of musical heritage. Aram here won't be having any of that, I presume. I guess we'll just have to turn our pens back to the topic of fetuses, foreskins, and and some third thing that will never alliterate with the first two because alliteration is fun, and we cannot have that in Dr. Koopman's World Assembly.
Last edited by Astro-Malsitari WA Seat on Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
| The Sublime Island Kingdom of Astrolinium | Ambassador to the WA: Dr. Giovanni Romero, PhD | Chief Justice and Vice Magister of The South |
| The Unified Federal Republics of Malsitar | Ambassador to the WA: Dr. Chandler Whitt, LLD | Citizen of Spiritus |
And of course, Giovanni's illegitimate child and everyone's favorite pervy teen, Melvin Ruiz Walsh-Romero!

Deinyrsh
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Deinyrsh » Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:47 pm

Astro-Malsitari WA Seat wrote:

- Aram Koopman

Very well. Everybody remember from now on that we're not allowed to anything the least bit lighthearted or even the least bit lacking in the areas of "urgent issues" and "proper decorum" when Dr. Koopman is in the room. Pop all your inflatable Gandalfs and put your hippos in the closets, ladies and gentlemen, for Aram Koopman is with us, and he doesn't want this body to do anything that might be a nice chance to organize something that the people of the world can enjoy. Pack up your frivolous offices, cease appreciation of your numismatics, send your MWA kids home, fire your professional resolution readers, and tear down your museums of musical heritage. Aram here won't be having any of that, I presume. I guess we'll just have to turn our pens back to the topic of fetuses, foreskins, and and some third thing that will never alliterate with the first two because alliteration is fun, and we cannot have that in Dr. Koopman's World Assembly

all right allright, while i appreciate both of your points of view, and while i did critisize that of Mr/Mrs/Ms Aram Koopman, i think we should all put on our big boy underwear ( [big] girl panties) and TRY to keep this thread from becoming just another rage fest. pleeease

Darenjo
Minister

Founded: Mar 31, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Darenjo » Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:09 pm

"...Um...well...you see there's...eh...it...no. Just no."
Dr. Park Si-Jung, Ambassador to the World Assembly for The People's Democracy of Darenjo

Proud Member of Eastern Islands of Dharma!

Connopolis
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Connopolis » Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:10 pm

Darenjo wrote:"...Um...well...you see there's...eh...it...no. Just no."

No harm done in strengthening international relations through cultural heritage ambassador. :blush:

Yours in sampling exotic foods,
From the office of,
Mrs. Pamela Howell

Darenjo
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Darenjo » Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:14 pm

Connopolis wrote:

No harm done in strengthening international relations through cultural heritage ambassador. :blush:

I have absolutely no problem with strengthening international bonds. I do have a problem with paying for it. Nations can do this on their own, and we don't need the WA to hold their hands while doing it. Sorry. It's a pretty good idea; it's just not for the WA.
Dr. Park Si-Jung, Ambassador to the World Assembly for The People's Democracy of Darenjo

Connopolis
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Connopolis » Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:16 pm

Darenjo wrote:
Connopolis wrote:

I have absolutely no problem with strengthening international bonds. I do have a problem with paying for it. Nations can do this on their own, and we don't need the WA to hold their hands while doing it. Sorry. It's a pretty good idea; it's just not for the WA.

That raises a valid point; perhaps funding it in a similar manner as the olympics? A combination of individual state funds, compounded with private mechanisms; abolish the bureaucracy, and the cost now lies with member-states. Granted, member-states would actually profit, considering the vast amount of tourism attracted, and the admission fee.

Yours
Last edited by Connopolis on Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
From the office of,
Mrs. Pamela Howell

Darenjo
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Darenjo » Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:19 pm

Connopolis wrote:
Darenjo wrote:I have absolutely no problem with strengthening international bonds. I do have a problem with paying for it. Nations can do this on their own, and we don't need the WA to hold their hands while doing it. Sorry. It's a pretty good idea; it's just not for the WA.

That raises a valid point; perhaps funding it in a similar manner as the olympics? A combination of individual state funds, compounded with private mechanisms; abolish the bureaucracy, and the cost now lies with member-states. Granted, member-states would actually profit, considering the vast amount of tourism attracted, and the admission fee.

Yours

I still don't see why we need the WA for this.

Astro-Malsitari WA Seat
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Astro-Malsitari WA Seat » Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:19 pm

Darenjo wrote:
Connopolis wrote:

Well, then why the hell isn't there a major world expo encompassing most member states if they're perfectly capable of doing it on their own?

Darenjo
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Darenjo » Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:22 pm

Astro-Malsitari WA Seat wrote:
Darenjo wrote:

Well, then why the hell isn't there a major world expo encompassing most member states if they're perfectly capable of doing it on their own?

"...They don't feel like paying for it? You know, the main problem my nation has with this draft?"

Connopolis
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Connopolis » Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:23 pm

Darenjo wrote:
Connopolis wrote:

Yours

I still don't see why we need the WA for this.

Ambassador, the purpose of the WA is to spread international peace and goodwill. Through a unified convention of nations bound together through culture, sponsored by the WA, I believe it will effectively accomplish this goal to an extent. Obviously nations could do this on their own, yet not as effectively as the World Assembly, nor would the convention encompass the international community.

Yours,
Last edited by Connopolis on Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
From the office of,
Mrs. Pamela Howell

Devons Island
Envoy

Founded: Apr 16, 2005
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Devons Island » Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:31 pm

Despite the seeming incoherence of our colleagues response, we too find this monstrosity to be beyond words and will oppose any such bit of touchy-feely nonsense.

Connopolis
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Connopolis » Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:39 pm

Devons Island wrote:

Despite the seeming incoherence of our colleagues response, we too find this monstrosity to be beyond words and will oppose any such bit of touchy-feely nonsense.

I'm glad to know that your excellency opposes a resolution that strengthens international relations, with non-existent negative ramifications on any party involved for reasons that were never quite expressed by your delegation.

Yours in genuine concern,
From the office of,
Mrs. Pamela Howell

Knootoss
Senator

Postby Knootoss » Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:35 am

I'm sorry, but the Planeteers will have to look for a nemesis with more serious concerns. I do not oppose 'fun' or 'light-heartedness'. I do oppose being made to spend billions for a resolution that is just merely "a harmless bit of fun". Go think of something that is both light-hearted and free, and you'll have full support. We already have far too many feel-good resolutions that also involve the World Assembly spending generous amounts of other peoples' money. It's not fun. It's a farce.

Ambassador Aram Koopman
World Assembly representative for the Dutch Democratic Republic of Knootoss

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:07 am

Knootoss wrote:I do oppose being made to spend billions for a resolution

Where does it say that?

:blink:
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Knootoss
Senator

Postby Knootoss » Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:53 am

I suppose, in Bears Armed the money just grows on trees.

Ambassador Aram Koopman

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:20 am

Knootoss wrote:I suppose, in Bears Armed the money just grows on trees.

(Image)
Ambassador Aram Koopman

"Or in other words, you don't actually have a hrreal answer to my question?"
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.

Knootoss
Senator

Postby Knootoss » Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:28 am

I do have an answer for your question. I'm getting pretty sick of the World Assembly treating other people's money as if it were their own. I sincerely hope that we'll get a rule some day that makes it illegal to propose resolutions that cost money, yet only wax lyrical about the benefits. Expensive, crippling resolutions that cost massive amounts taxpayer money - such as the one currently at vote - get approved by hordes of lemmings because of "the sentiment".

Refusing to face up to this isn't a strength. It's a sign of profound immaturity.

Ambassador Aram Koopman

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:42 am

"You are apparently claiming that these clauses"

ALLOWS member states to charge for entry and use of services/facilities in order to help ameliorate the costs,
"would somehow compel every member nation to spend "billions" of whatever their currency unit is. You still haven't explained how, in your opinion and despite their wording, they would do so. Throwing around insults instead of explanations, now, that isn't exactly the most 'mature' of approaches is it?!?"
Last edited by Bears Armed on Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:42 am, edited 2 times in total.

Knootoss
Senator

Postby Knootoss » Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:15 am

We don't need the World Assembly to run a travelling circus. We have one right here, in this assembly hall. If the Bears Armed delegation is really going to call me a liar by citing the potential for ticket-sales, I suggest that they look up the word "ameliorate" in a dictionary. These things cost money. Questioning whether organising and building things costs money just shows that the Bears Armed delegation has warmly embraced Unibotonomics.

Ambassador Aram Koopman

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives