NATION

PASSWORD

'Star Spangled Banner' or 'God Save the Queen'?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Which do you prefer?

God Save the Queen!
19%
Star Spangled Banner!
33%
Another British Patriotic Song (feel free to divulge)
9%
Another American Patriotic Song (feel free to divulge)
14%
POLAND IS NOT YET LOST
26%

Total votes : 286

Euronion
Senator

Founded: Apr 07, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Euronion » Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:48 pm

I love this renidition, it has all verses http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAYPN-1Yjt0
though some reniditions of "Battle Hymn of the Republic" are rather good too, after lsitening to both I fealt like marching on wallstreet myself except with a pro-American protest, not an anti-American one
Last edited by Euronion on Sat Oct 15, 2011 11:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
GOD BLESS AMERICA!!!!!
The Official Euronion Website
Proud Catholic and Member of the Tea Party; militant atheists, environmental extremists, fem-nazis, Anti-Lifers, Nazists, and Communists you have been warned
Thomas Paine wrote:"to argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead"
The name of our country is Euronion, the name of anything that is Euronion is called the/a Euronion ____, please do not say "the Euronionian, or the Euronionion people or military, it is simply the Euronion people, the Euronion military, ect. nor is Euronion a reference to the European Union or some United Europe.

Hathradic States
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 26, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Hathradic States » Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:49 pm

None of the above. I choose Dixie!

Liberals: Honestly I was wrong bout em.
I swear I'm not as terrible as you remember.
Sadly Proven Right in 2016
Final text here.

Nationstatelandsville
Khan of Spam

Founded: Apr 27, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Nationstatelandsville » Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:50 pm

I find most patriotic songs of any country to be, as a requirement it seems, shit. Admittedly though, the Star-Spangled Banner is bad ass on electric guitar.
"Then I was fertilized and grew wise;
From a word to a word I was led to a word,
From a work to a work I was led to a work."
- Odin, Hávamál 138-141, the Poetic Edda, as translated by Dan McCoy.

I enjoy meta-humor and self-deprecation. Annoying, right?

Goodbye.

Inky Noodles
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 05, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Inky Noodles » Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:55 pm

Kalumba wrote:Jerusalem-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKaJ4b0XYmI

Or Rule Britannia or Land of Hope and Glory would be better. But God Save the Queen is better than that damned yankee rebel song because i don't like the music of The Star Spangled Banner.

Rebel song!? It was wrote while you held innocent men captive on a boat!
Transnapastain wrote:
Inky Noodles wrote:QUICK.

I WANNA ASK SOMEONE TO HOMECOMING.

whaddo I do?!

So I just met you
and this is crazy
but heres my number
homecoming maybe?

*not a valid offer.

~Trans, killing TET's since part 45.

San Leggera wrote:
Veceria wrote:People with big noses have big penises.
Even the females.

Especially the females. *nod*

Hurdegaryp wrote:
Belligerent Alcoholics wrote:Are you OK? :eyebrow:

It's a person called Inky Noodles in a thread that is not exactly known for its sanity in general. Do the math, beerguzzler.

18 year old Virginian

Ravens, O's, and Penguins fan

Euronion
Senator

Founded: Apr 07, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Euronion » Sat Oct 15, 2011 11:05 pm

Hathradic States wrote:None of the above. I choose Dixie!

lol
GOD BLESS AMERICA!!!!!
The Official Euronion Website
Proud Catholic and Member of the Tea Party; militant atheists, environmental extremists, fem-nazis, Anti-Lifers, Nazists, and Communists you have been warned
Thomas Paine wrote:"to argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead"
The name of our country is Euronion, the name of anything that is Euronion is called the/a Euronion ____, please do not say "the Euronionian, or the Euronionion people or military, it is simply the Euronion people, the Euronion military, ect. nor is Euronion a reference to the European Union or some United Europe.

Aesthetica
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 15, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Aesthetica » Sat Oct 15, 2011 11:07 pm

Spangled Banner? I don't think so, a slightly iffy poem clumsily set to an old drinking song... Nah...

God save the Inbred germanic usurpers... Hmm, got a problem with that one too, I mean, it's not as if they were actually related to the Plantagenet's is it...

For me, it's got to be http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rB5Nbp_gmgQ

And to the 'innocent men held on a boat' poster, yeah they were held on a boat, for a very short time, so they wouldn't warn the defenders of a suprise attack... Then they were released.
Atheist and Proud - Godless and Loud
You don't pray in our schools - We won't think in your churches
The Realm of Forgotten Gods

-St George
Senator

Founded: Apr 25, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby -St George » Sun Oct 16, 2011 2:14 am

Aesthetica wrote:Spangled Banner? I don't think so, a slightly iffy poem clumsily set to an old drinking song... Nah...

God save the Inbred germanic usurpers... Hmm, got a problem with that one too, I mean, it's not as if they were actually related to the Plantagenet's is it...

And to the 'innocent men held on a boat' poster, yeah they were held on a boat, for a very short time, so they wouldn't warn the defenders of a suprise attack... Then they were released.

The Plantagenet's who themselves were usurpers.

Edit: Actually they were. Henry VII grandfather was a plantagenet and he married off one of his daughters into the Hanovarian line, hence why George I and Anne were cousins. Similar marriages into German and Scottish (hence the Stuarts) houses among others can be seen throughout history.

And who did the Georgians usurp anyway?
Last edited by -St George on Sun Oct 16, 2011 2:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
[19:12] <Amitabho> I mean, a little niggling voice tells me this is impossible, but then my voice of reason kicks in
[21:07] <@Milograd> I totally endorse the unfair moderation.
01:46 Goobergunch I could support StGeorge's nuts for the GOP nomination
( Anemos was here )
Also, Bonobos

Natty Narwhal
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 10, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Natty Narwhal » Sun Oct 16, 2011 2:16 am

Neither. National anthems are kind of unnecessary...
All the people I admire can fly -
Why can't I do that?

Esternial
Retired Moderator

Founded: May 09, 2009
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Esternial » Sun Oct 16, 2011 2:17 am

Oterro wrote:
Esternial wrote:Any answer which doesn't involve the usual "choose between UK or US" we get here on NS.

So Poland then?

Evidently.

Distruzio
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Feb 28, 2011
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Distruzio » Sun Oct 16, 2011 2:23 am

While this is a wonderful rendition, I prefer this 'un.
Eastern Orthodox Christian
Christ is King
Glorify Him

capitalism is not natural
secularism is not neutral
liberalism is not tolerant

Angleter
Postmaster-General

Founded: Apr 27, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Angleter » Sun Oct 16, 2011 2:59 am

-St George wrote:
Aesthetica wrote:Spangled Banner? I don't think so, a slightly iffy poem clumsily set to an old drinking song... Nah...

The Plantagenet's who themselves were usurpers.

Edit: Actually they were. Henry VII grandfather was a plantagenet and he married off one of his daughters into the Hanovarian line, hence why George I and Anne were cousins. Similar marriages into German and Scottish (hence the Stuarts) houses among others can be seen throughout history.

And who did the Georgians usurp anyway?

Well- the Hanoverian succession actually dated back to a marriage that made George I et al direct descendants of James I/VI, who himself was a direct descendant of Henry VII through the marriage of one of his daughters. Henry VII himself was a direct descendant of Edward III.
[align=center]"I gotta tell you, this is just crazy, huh! This is just nuts, OK! Jeezo man."

Kalumba
Ambassador

Founded: May 05, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Kalumba » Sun Oct 16, 2011 1:49 pm

Inky Noodles wrote:
Kalumba wrote:Jerusalem-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKaJ4b0XYmI

Or Rule Britannia or Land of Hope and Glory would be better. But God Save the Queen is better than that damned yankee rebel song because i don't like the music of The Star Spangled Banner.

Rebel song!? It was wrote while you held innocent men captive on a boat!

We are your masters and betters. And you threw our tea in the water :'( And i do believe it was 'written', i never heard of anything being 'wrote'.

And rebel song because you were rebels. A very simple concept, you may call yourselves patriots but you still rebelled against the legal government however unjust it was.
Unilateral Declaration of Indifference viewtopic.php?f=23&t=111178 - Honestly Kalumba has no interest in you or your problems.
Looking for a PMT RP, no godmoding, etc. Come and help Zimbabwe-Rhodesia defeat the Soviets in Africa viewtopic.php?f=5&t=116682
The Colonial Crisis viewtopic.php?f=5&t=138755
-St George wrote:Pedantry, thy name is Kalumba.
San-Silvacian wrote:
Forgot to take off my Rhodie shorts when I went to sleep.

Woke up in bitches and enemy combatants.

Spreewerke wrote:Salt the women, rape the earth.

Baptism of Fire 43 Champions
A Luta Continua

Keronians
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 15, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Keronians » Sun Oct 16, 2011 1:53 pm

-St George wrote:
Oterro wrote:
Tell that to the Spaniards.

Pfft. The Spaniards haven't relevant since the 1700s.

Pfft.

Even with an anthem consisting solely of instrumentals, we kick Lizzy's ass.
Proud Indian. Spanish citizen. European federalist.
Political compass
Awarded the Bronze Medal for General Debating at the 11th Annual Posters' Awards. Awarded Best New Poster at the 11th Annual Posters' Awards.
It is almost universally felt that when we call a country democratic we are praising it; consequently, the defenders of every kind of regime claim that it is a democracy, and fear that they might have to stop using the word if it were tied down to any one meaning.
George Orwell
· Private property
· Free foreign trade
· Exchange of goods and services
· Free formation of prices

· Market regulation
· Social security
· Universal healthcare
· Unemployment insurance

This is a capitalist model.

Oterro
Post Marshal

Founded: May 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Oterro » Sun Oct 16, 2011 1:58 pm

Keronians wrote:
-St George wrote:Pfft. The Spaniards haven't relevant since the 1700s.

Pfft.

I think I could take her in a fight.
we, unlike the bourgeoisie, have nothing to lose and therefore our expression will be the only honest one, our words will be the only challenging ones and our art will be the one revolutionary expression. We need new noise and new voices and new canvases to become something more than the last poets of a useless generation.

The Corparation
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 31, 2009
Father Knows Best State

Postby The Corparation » Sun Oct 16, 2011 2:05 pm

Kalumba wrote:
Inky Noodles wrote:Rebel song!? It was wrote while you held innocent men captive on a boat!

We are your masters and betters. And you threw our tea in the water :'( And i do believe it was 'written', i never heard of anything being 'wrote'.

And rebel song because you were rebels. A very simple concept, you may call yourselves patriots but you still rebelled against the legal government however unjust it was.

The song is actually a British drinking song. So the "Rebel song" is actually the song of an upper class mens social club in London. The poem apparently fits along nicely with the song if you're really drunk other wise they don't match at all. Pity because we have so many better songs we could of used.
Nuclear Death Machines Here (Both Flying and Orbiting)
Orbital Freedom Machine Here
A Subsidiary company of Nightkill Enterprises Inc.Weekly words of wisdom: Nothing is more important than waifus.- Gallia-
Making the Nightmare End 2020 2024 WARNING: This post contains chemicals known to the State of CA to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm. - Prop 65, CA Health & Safety This Cell is intentionally blank.

Kalumba
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Kalumba » Sun Oct 16, 2011 2:08 pm

The Corparation wrote:
Kalumba wrote:

The song is actually a British drinking song. So the "Rebel song" is actually the song of an upper class mens social club in London. The poem apparently fits along nicely with the song if you're really drunk other wise they don't match at all. Pity because we have so many better songs we could of used.

'Tune' or 'Music', not 'Song'. The poem is the 'Song'.
Unilateral Declaration of Indifference viewtopic.php?f=23&t=111178 - Honestly Kalumba has no interest in you or your problems.
Looking for a PMT RP, no godmoding, etc. Come and help Zimbabwe-Rhodesia defeat the Soviets in Africa viewtopic.php?f=5&t=116682
San-Silvacian wrote:

A Luta Continua

-St George
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby -St George » Sun Oct 16, 2011 2:41 pm

Keronians wrote:
-St George wrote:Pfft. The Spaniards haven't relevant since the 1700s.

Pfft.

Carlos v Philip: Big Fight Live.
[19:12] <Amitabho> I mean, a little niggling voice tells me this is impossible, but then my voice of reason kicks in
( Anemos was here )
Also, Bonobos

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Founded: Aug 24, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Sun Oct 16, 2011 2:43 pm

Both are pretty terrible. If the Battle Hymn of the Republic wasn't so fucking religious, I'd go with it. Else, the Battle Cry of Freedom to replace the Star Spangled Banner.
On the hate train. Choo choo, bitches. Bi-Polar. Proud Crypto-Fascist and Turbo Progressive. Dirty Étatist. Lowly Humanities Major. NSG's Best Liberal.
Caesar and Imperator of RWDT
Got a blog up again. || An NS Writing Discussion

-St George
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby -St George » Sun Oct 16, 2011 2:47 pm

Kalumba wrote:
The Corparation wrote:The song is actually a British drinking song. So the "Rebel song" is actually the song of an upper class mens social club in London. The poem apparently fits along nicely with the song if you're really drunk other wise they don't match at all. Pity because we have so many better songs we could of used.

Pedantry, thy name is Kalumba.
( Anemos was here )
Also, Bonobos

Kalumba
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Kalumba » Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:15 am

-St George wrote:
Kalumba wrote:

Pedantry, thy name is Kalumba.

Indeed it is ;) And i think i might sig that.
San-Silvacian wrote:

A Luta Continua

Lazssia
Senator

Founded: Apr 13, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Lazssia » Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:19 am

I love the UK, but I'm still a biased yank, so Star Spangled Banner. I also love the Battle Hymn of the Republic, but I realize it's not for everybody.
Last edited by Lazssia on Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

-St George
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby -St George » Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:22 am

Kalumba wrote:

Indeed it is ;) And i think i might sig that.

Feel free to.
( Anemos was here )
Also, Bonobos

Abalucia
Envoy

Founded: Aug 10, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Abalucia » Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:24 am

GOD SAVE THE QUEEN EVERY TIME. (I am a bit bias as I am British.)

Coccygia
Powerbroker

Founded: Nov 24, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Coccygia » Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:33 am

My vote is with 'God Save the Queen' despite being a natural born Yank. Simpler lyrics and and a nicer melody, which we stole for one of our songs, 'Of Thee I Sing'. The tune of 'The Star-Spangled Banner' is actually a English drinking song, 'To Anacreon in Heaven'. If you have ever read the lyrics to the latter, it makes it difficult to ever take the US anthem entirely seriously again, with all due apologies to Francis Scott Key. (Whoever decided to use 'Anacreon' for the tune of 'The Defense of Fort McHenry' (as the poem was originally titled)? What were they thinking?)*

*You may have noticed my use of single quotes according to the British custom and may wonder why I, a USian, has chosen to follow this practice. Well, for one thing, I think the single quotes look 'cooler', as you young people say, and besides I'm too lazy to hit the shift key for double quotes.
Last edited by Coccygia on Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Nobody deserves anything. You get what you get." - House
"Hope is for sissies." - House
“Qokedy qokedy dal qokedy qokedy." - The Voynich Manuscript
"We're not ordinary people - we're morons!" - Jerome Horwitz
"A book, any book, is a sacred object." - Jorge Luis Borges
"I am a survivor. I am like a cockroach, you just can't get rid of me." - Madonna

Tmutarakhan
Powerbroker

Founded: Dec 06, 2007
New York Times Democracy

Postby Tmutarakhan » Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:41 pm

Oterro wrote:
Esternial wrote:Any answer which doesn't involve the usual "choose between UK or US" we get here on NS.

So Poland then?

Poland for a long time used an anthem which begins, "O Lithuania, you are my country..."
Life is a tragedy to those who feel, a comedy to those who think, and a musical to those who sing.

I am the very model of a Nation States General,
I am a holy terror to apologists Confederal,
When called upon to source a line, I give citations textual,
And argue about Palestine, and marriage homosexual!

A KNIGHT ON KARINZISTAN'S SPECIAL LIST OF POOPHEADS!

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General