NATION

PASSWORD

[Passed] Legalizing Prostitution

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Connopolis
Minister

Founded: May 01, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Connopolis » Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:00 pm

Connopolis wrote:
The Republic of Lanos wrote:
Perhaps we should legalize slavery. That way, if someone wants to be a slave we should let them! We can tax that industry too!

"NO! HELL NO! THIS ISSUE SHALL LEAD TO ANOTHER HELL HOLE IN ITSELF! DO YOU WANT SEXUAL SLAVERY TO COME AROUND IF THIS PASSES?"

Lin stormed out and was replaced by the deputy ambassador who was taking over for a while. He wasn't going to argue with those who just didn't see what the other nations were getting at with the potential crime issue.

Ambassador, you realize that doesn't make any sense, right? You can't accept to being a slave, otherwise it isn't slavery, it's consensual. Sexual slavery is already banned; should it occur, it's self induced due to poor regulations, not because of the resolution itself.

*cough*
From the office of,
Mrs. Pamela Howell
GA Ambassador of the Connopolian Ministry of Foreign Affairs

Dilange
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 09, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Dilange » Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:04 pm

Goobergunchia wrote:Two bells rang out, as the question was put on "Legalizing Prostitution".

As the proposal clerk read the final words of the resolution ("Co-Author: Connopolis"), Lord Evif, already on his feet, keyed his microphone.

Point of information, Madam Secretary-General.

Lord Evif saw the Chair nod to him, glanced down at a card that a page had passed to him, and proceeded.

I am informed that a timely point of order was raised that this resolution was in contradiction to Resolution #68, "National Economic Freedoms"; specifically, the clause allowing national governments to regulate commerce within their jurisdiction.

As the resolution is now at vote, I assume that this point of order was not well taken and that the Secretariat has ruled that no contradiction exists.

If this understanding is incorrect, I request clarification from the Secretariat so that appropriate action can be taken to remedy the error and the General Assembly does not labor under an incorrect precedent.

Now, let the substantive debate on this resolution proceed. I yield the floor.

[Lord] Michael Evif
Goobergunchian UN WA Ambassador
Citizen of the Rejected Realms

"Apparently when Great Azarath and Connopolis tried to block our over-regulations....they didnt read that proposal." Sainthos joked.

Maroza
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 28, 2011
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Maroza » Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:11 pm

Voted against.

My country may have legalized prostitution but if this passes we will have to seriously consider leaving the WA.
Current level 5: Peacetime
Find a Helmet
Put on a Helmet

Find me someone who does not support the revolutionary sciences and the technology of peace and they will be shot as traitors to the revolution.~Aethrys
The disease first struck a wealthy nation with low population density, an adequate health care system and naturally declining population.

Charlotte Ryberg
The Muse of the Westcountry

Founded: Mar 14, 2007
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Charlotte Ryberg » Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:15 pm

Ms. S. Harper has gone against as expected. No need to speculate there.

Suidwes-Afrika
Ambassador

Founded: May 07, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Suidwes-Afrika » Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:16 pm

Great Azarath wrote:
Suidwes-Afrika wrote:
No. Nothing at all. I'm just taking your word for it.

Alright then, so everything you put was for nothing. You aren't making sense.

You don't know sarcasm when you see it, do you?

Have you tried reading your own proposal, GA? You said I can't hire independent thugs to destroy my own technically legal prostitution industry if this WA proposal is passed. Read carefully:

FURTHER PROHIBITS Individual member-states regulating prostitution-based enterprises to the point where it no longer becomes profitable for the enterprise, or its employees; member-states must also refrain from instilling negative ramifications on prostitutes for pursuing the profession with the intent of stymieing the industry.

Look, if you hire some poor independent illegal immigrants from somewhere to take an automatic rifle and shoot up a brothel once in a while, or beat up their managers, my government is not regulating the industry enough to make it unprofitable. We are also not officially instilling negative ramifications. We are simply employing people unaffiliated with us to attack this industry and thus indirectly affect it through a loophole.
Die Kaplyn - Bok van Blerk

The Struggle against Apartheid in Suidwes-Afrika: http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=135846

"No man has a right to do what he pleases, except when he pleases to do right." - Charles Simmons

"Violent and brutal means can only lead to totalitarian and tyrannical ends." - P.W. Botha

Sjavako
Lobbyist

Founded: Feb 27, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Sjavako » Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:20 pm

Against. Our Orthodox Judaism society will never accept prostitution into our land. It is against the Torah so it is against us as well.

Alqania
Minister

Founded: Aug 03, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Alqania » Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:29 pm

Great Azarath wrote:
Alqania wrote:
"The Queendom remains OPPOSED to this proposal."

"The age and fame or infamy of prostitution is completely irrelevant to the question of its legal status."

"The Queendom does NOT (1) share this conviction nor (2) recognise prostitution as a part of bodily sovereignty."

"This can all be loopholed. The Queendom does not reside with the World Assembly; our state does not have its seat in territory under the control of WA management and the state does not dwell in any territory under such control. The presence of a permanent mission to the World Assembly does not equate a seat of government. By defining the seat of Her Majesty's Government as the Alqanian capital of Wilborg, the Queendom can ignore these clauses and still be in compliance with the letter of the law, should this proposal come to pass."

"Number (1) would be considered rape under Alqanian law and already prohibited, regardless of whether the sexual penetration is done as prostitution or not.

Number (2) is interesting. One existent international law is Resolution #68 National Economic Freedoms, which:

As our national governments are allowed by existent international law to regulate commerce, and this allowance reasonably includes the right to enforce licensing or other systems of requiring professionals to meet certain criteria set by the national government, thereby stopping sapient beings from acquiring the profession, the aforementioned clause in this proposal does not actually do anything."

"While prostitution is already legal in the Queendom, it is a crime under Alqanian law to profit from someone else's prostitution. Her Majesty's Government reserves the right under Resolution #68 to continue this policy and is of the firm opinion that doing so would not violate the letter of the law, should this proposal come to pass.

Requiring member states to ensure that an industry can be profitable is dangerously close to an ideological ban on non-capitalist ideologies. Anyway, Her Majesty's Government reserves the right to define 'profitable' and when regulation is so strong that profit is impossible. It should be apparent to anyone that the profiteers themselves cannot be the ones to exercise such judgement as they would no doubt see any regulation that even in the slightest way risks cutting into their profit as unacceptable.

Her Majesty's Government reserves the right to, in compliance with the letter of the law should this proposal come to pass, limit the legality of profit on sex to the individual prostitute. Profiting on someone else's prostitution shall continue to be a crime under Alqanian law and all pimps and brothels therefore effectively banned. This proposal's ban on negative ramifications on prostitutes does not extend to pimps."

"The Queendom already provides the services mentioned in (1) to everyone free of charge, regardless of whether they engage in prostitution or not.

As point (2) is a recommendation only, Her Majesty's Government is of the firm opinion that a continued effective ban on brothels under Alqanian law would be in compliance with the letter of the law, should this proposal come to pass."

"That is exactly what the Queendom will be doing."

1 That is why its under CONVINCED!
2 No your twisting words
3 so?
4 i will look at it later and comment later
5 you ignored the part that says you cannot make this non-profitable
6 if you make it so that they do not make money to support their selves then it is arguably not profitable

"Your Excellency's comments are nowhere near being rebuttals with any kind of substance. Perhaps His Excellency Dr Forshaw or another proponent who knows how to provide a counter-argument would do me the honour of reviewing my arguments."
Queendom of Alqania
Amor vincit omnia et nos cedamus amori
Former Speaker of the Gay Regional Parliament
Represented in the WA by Ambassador Lord Raekevikinfo
and Deputy Ambassador Princess Christineinfo
Author of GA#178
Member of UNOG and the Stonewall Alliance

NERVUN
Retired Moderator

Founded: Mar 24, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby NERVUN » Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:31 pm

Goobergunchia wrote:Two bells rang out, as the question was put on "Legalizing Prostitution".

As the proposal clerk read the final words of the resolution ("Co-Author: Connopolis"), Lord Evif, already on his feet, keyed his microphone.

Point of information, Madam Secretary-General.

Lord Evif saw the Chair nod to him, glanced down at a card that a page had passed to him, and proceeded.

I am informed that a timely point of order was raised that this resolution was in contradiction to Resolution #68, "National Economic Freedoms"; specifically, the clause allowing national governments to regulate commerce within their jurisdiction.

As the resolution is now at vote, I assume that this point of order was not well taken and that the Secretariat has ruled that no contradiction exists.

If this understanding is incorrect, I request clarification from the Secretariat so that appropriate action can be taken to remedy the error and the General Assembly does not labor under an incorrect precedent.

Now, let the substantive debate on this resolution proceed. I yield the floor.

[Lord] Michael Evif

The point of order was received and rushed to the legal department and force fed to the captive lawyers. It was decided that this proposal did not violate General Assembly #68 "National Economic Freedoms" as the proposal does not remove a nation's ability to regulate prostitution, it just cannot ban it. Regulation was taken to mean imposing standards/restrictions upon commerce which is different from banning something. It was the legal ruling that a nation can, if it wants to, require two forms of ID, sworn statements from 3 priests, and a live chicken to visit a brothel as regulations and be legal to do so, the WA here does not say otherwise. It just cannot make the regulations so prohibitive as to effectively ban it.

Ayawotenu Daneremackor,
Acting Undersecretary for the Co-chair of the Acting Secretary General Pro-Tempore for the World Assembly
To those who feel, life is a tragedy. To those who think, it's a comedy.
"Men, today you'll be issued small trees. Do what you can for the emperor's glory." -Daistallia 2104 on bonsai charges in WWII
Science may provide the means while religion provides the motivation but humanity and humanity alone provides the vehicle -DaWoad

One-Stop Rules Shop, read it, love it, live by it. Getting Help Mod email: nervun@nationstates.net NSG Glossary
Add 10,145 to post count from Jolt: I have it from an unimpeachable source, that Dark Side cookies look like the Death Star. The other ones look like butterflies, or bunnies, or something.-Grave_n_Idle

Proud Member of FMGADHPAC. Join today!

Goobergunchia
Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Goobergunchia » Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:37 pm

We thank Acting Undersecretary for the Co-chair of the Acting Secretary General Pro-Tempore for the World Assembly Daneremackor for the clarification. It will no doubt prove invaluable for authors of future proposals.

[Lord] Michael Evif
Last edited by Goobergunchia on Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dreamer knights
Lobbyist

Founded: Aug 09, 2011
Ex-Nation

I feel it as a taboo

Postby Dreamer knights » Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:49 pm

Prostitution is something most of the people know about. Anyone doing that it's because she/he has a dark past. I sincerly respect people having the "guts" for doing that. But no one can warranty that people doing that won't be stereotype by our socity. Also who says that non 16 years old girls won't be practicing that. A fake ID and corruption is all it takes for the girl to do that.

Women nowadays, they can be and they are better than men. But prostitution doesn't show that.
If you believe in me doubt about me, if you doubt about me believe in me, becuase in the end I am a human.

Sabriath
Civilian

Founded: Sep 23, 2011
Ex-Nation

Violation of image

Postby Sabriath » Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:24 pm

I cannot personally see how anyone can agree to this. This will destroy society structure of all forms. The old saying "why buy the cow when the milk is free," is the simplest explanation to this position of destruction.

Understanding that some states legalize prostitution, keeps their edge on the market. This allows them to have high prices for their workers which creates low volume sales while maintaining balanced sheets for testing and protection. These purchases are done by the business (brothel) and can be taxed by the state allowing the movement of money to continue and flourish.

However, if all states allow legalization of prostitution, then there will be a surplus of workers which will dilute the market and cause the prices to fall below manageable means. These minimums would create a higher demand of the workers to push even harder in order to survive, which would cost the states even more money in the "testing and protection" that this bill forces the states to pay for.

Secondly, legal prostitution would not stop at just the prostitutes, but we will see this in all citizen lifestyles to get free testing and sexual protection from the individual governments. This will cause the citizens to live in a more carefree lifestyle and goals of becoming married or even having children will dwindle. As states begin to see a decline in population from birthrates being lower than deathrates, there will be several institutions that will also decline, such as welfare, medicare, medicaid, and even social security.

I plead to all the states in the WA to reject this bill and allow the states individual rights to legalize or criminalize as they see fit.

Crystalline River
Civilian

Founded: Jun 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Crystalline River » Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:27 pm

The ambassador rolled her eyes. She had warned the supreme ruler that violating their centuries-old isolationist policy to join the WA was a mistake. While prostitution has been always been legal in Crystalline River, it wasn't the government's job to educate the men and women who choose to make it their profession. "The tax-payers aren't going to like this," she muttered under her breath as she cast her vote against.

Ora Amaris
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 21, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Ora Amaris » Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:39 pm

While we in Ora Amaris agree that prostitution is something that should be legal, we are less sure that something as nuanced and controversial should be voted on that may or may not incite the ire of other nations. This legislation is something that, if passed, all countries in the WA must adhere to by law. We feel that if this law is enacted, there will be great divides within the WA, leading to many nation isolating themselves from the free and open international forum that stands as a pinnacle of peace-keeping around the world.

We support the resolution in principle, and because of that we are voting for it. It creates a clear standard for our government and the governments of others to run the (already legal in our country) prostitution industry.
Last edited by Ora Amaris on Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Let beauty and creativity reign throughout the universe,
Preserve the sublime equilibrium of nature,
Find enlightenment through the doors of perception,
An it harm none, do what thou wilt,
Respect yourself, respect all life, celebrate oneness with the universe.
Economic Left/Right: -7.50
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.49
Factbook Entry

Pryssilvalia
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Aug 30, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Pryssilvalia » Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:46 pm

Ora Amaris wrote:While we in Ora Amaris agree that prostitution is something that should be legal, we are less sure that something as nuanced and controversial should be voted on that may or may not incite the ire of other nations. This legislation is something that, if passed, all countries in the WA must adhere to by law. We feel that if this law is enacted, there will be great divides within the WA, leading to many nation isolating themselves from the free and open international forum that stands as a pinnacle of peace-keeping around the world.

We support the resolution in principle, and because of that we are voting for it. It creates a clear standard for our government and the governments of others to run the (already legal in our country) prostitution industry.

If you actually believe so, then you should vote against the resolution.
Hughes Tyssia - High Commissioner of the Commonwealth of the Frankian Countries

Ora Amaris
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 21, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Ora Amaris » Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:53 pm

Prostitution is the oldest occupation - money for sex. You can't make prostitution illegal. You're just throwing people into jail to preserve antiquated belief systems. There will always be prostitution. Prohibition never works, and prostitution is no different in that respect. It is a victimless crime - the type of crime that Ora Amaris believes that every country should stop enforcing against.

If done right, it is completely harmless and stimulates the economy - rather than the pocketbooks of pimps, gangs and organized crime.

But, if a country feels that the resolution goes too far for them if the resolution is passed, they are welcome to submit a repeal resolution.
Last edited by Ora Amaris on Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Let beauty and creativity reign throughout the universe,
Preserve the sublime equilibrium of nature,
Find enlightenment through the doors of perception,
An it harm none, do what thou wilt,
Respect yourself, respect all life, celebrate oneness with the universe.
Economic Left/Right: -7.50
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.49
Factbook Entry

Boshuvania
Spokesperson

Founded: Sep 13, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Boshuvania » Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:32 am

I VOTE AGAINST the Legalizing prostitution Act! The fact that money has to be spend on free condoms and health check-up for a industry that is tabooed by society would just result in a loss of revenue and more trouble for that nation.
Last edited by Boshuvania on Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pryssilvalia
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Pryssilvalia » Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:56 am

Ora Amaris wrote:Prostitution is the oldest occupation - money for sex. You can't make prostitution illegal. You're just throwing people into jail to preserve antiquated belief systems. There will always be prostitution. Prohibition never works, and prostitution is no different in that respect. It is a victimless crime - the type of crime that Ora Amaris believes that every country should stop enforcing against.

The argument that "if you can't completely prohibit it, then you might just as well legalize it" is invalid. There will also always be murder, there will also always be rape, you can't completely prohibit them but does that mean you should legalize murder and rape?

Parti Ouvrier
Minister

Founded: Aug 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Parti Ouvrier » Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:24 am

Sabriath wrote:I cannot personally see how anyone can agree to this. This will destroy society structure of all forms. The old saying "why buy the cow when the milk is free," is the simplest explanation to this position of destruction.

Understanding that some states legalize prostitution, keeps their edge on the market. This allows them to have high prices for their workers which creates low volume sales while maintaining balanced sheets for testing and protection. These purchases are done by the business (brothel) and can be taxed by the state allowing the movement of money to continue and flourish.

However, if all states allow legalization of prostitution, then there will be a surplus of workers which will dilute the market and cause the prices to fall below manageable means. These minimums would create a higher demand of the workers to push even harder in order to survive, which would cost the states even more money in the "testing and protection" that this bill forces the states to pay for.

Interesting point there. We will not be voting against this, but we will not support it either. Sometime back I thought legalisation of prostitution was right, but now believe it is going too far and would prefer to stop at decriminalisation. Also, there are no provisions to help sex workers into more stable work, thus solving the surplus of workers problem.

Abstain

Wez Spencer
WA Ambassador to the DRPO
For a voluntary Socialist democratic republic of England, Scotland, Wales and a United Socialist Democratic Federal Republic of Ireland in a United Socialist Europe.
Leave Nato - abolish trident, abolish presidential monarchies (directly elected presidents) and presidential Prime Ministers

Nasppistan
Political Columnist

Founded: Sep 02, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Nasppistan » Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:26 am

Boshuvania wrote: I VOTE AGAINST the Legalizing prostitution Act! The fact that money has to be spend on free condoms and health check-up for a industry that is tabooed by society would just result in a loss of revenue and more trouble for that nation.

My nation is fairly new to the World Assembly, but if I understand the Resolution correctly, these measures are only recommended, and not mandatory.
As long as this resolution only mandates to ensure the right of a person to his or her own body, and to provide any service that this person wants to provide I will vote for the Resolution.

Jovrenon
Civilian

Founded: Jun 27, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Jovrenon » Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:49 am

Why should the government pay for their testing and condoms? If it's a business, then those things should be the cost of business.

Connopolis
Minister

Founded: May 01, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Connopolis » Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:05 am

Pryssilvalia wrote:
Ora Amaris wrote:Prostitution is the oldest occupation - money for sex. You can't make prostitution illegal. You're just throwing people into jail to preserve antiquated belief systems. There will always be prostitution. Prohibition never works, and prostitution is no different in that respect. It is a victimless crime - the type of crime that Ora Amaris believes that every country should stop enforcing against.

The argument that "if you can't completely prohibit it, then you might just as well legalize it" is invalid. There will also always be murder, there will also always be rape, you can't completely prohibit them but does that mean you should legalize murder and rape?

No, my dear ambassador; the argument "if you can't prohibit a crime that lacks both a victim, and a malignant catalyst, then legalize it" is perfectly valid. Murder and rape contain both victims and catalysts; prostitution contains neither.

OOC: Alqania, I'll provide a counter argument later today. I'm a bit pressed for time at the moment.
Last edited by Connopolis on Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
From the office of,
Mrs. Pamela Howell
GA Ambassador of the Connopolian Ministry of Foreign Affairs

Amundea
Lobbyist

Founded: Apr 03, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Amundea » Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:07 am

Jovrenon wrote:Why should the government pay for their testing and condoms? If it's a business, then those things should be the cost of business.

To answer the honorable representative's question, perhaps because the proposal encourages governments to support this type of business as it would other businesses, and also because public health is a government duty.

As for Amundea, convinced by the arguments put forward, we vote in opposition. Good day and long live Freedom! :)
The Honorable Daniela Kelley Estevez
Ambassador to the World Assembly
The Most Serene Republic of Amundea

Opus Iustitiae Pax-The Work of Justice is Peace

Uses NS Stats. Hoping not to accidentally start wars over lunch :))

El Bondel
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 05, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby El Bondel » Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:12 am

If this vote passes im Resigning from the World Assembly.
RP Stats:[under construction]
Map of Bondel

Pryssilvalia
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Pryssilvalia » Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:28 am

Connopolis wrote:No, my dear ambassador; the argument "if you can't prohibit a crime that lacks both a victim, and a malignant catalyst, then legalize it" is perfectly valid. Murder and rape contain both victims and catalysts; prostitution contains neither.

So you do acknowledge that it's a crime, Dr Forshaw? But I assume you used the wrong word. Dr Forshaw, are you certain that prostitution will not wrongfully affect public health and order? We prohibit prostitution for a good reason, it discourages people to engage in such an act, limiting the negative effect of prostitution on public health and order. As long as there exists a good reason to outlaw it, then it's right to outlaw it even if we can't prohibit it completely - laissez-faire has no place in law, Dr Forshaw.

Apollonesia
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 25, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Apollonesia » Thu Oct 06, 2011 4:01 am

Cardinal Anastasia and the Catholic Council have voted against.
Christian
Political Compass
Factbook - (Updating)
"God is not only true, but Truth itself."

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives