NATION

PASSWORD

[PASSED] Commend Glen-Rhodes, Take #2

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.
Connopolis
Minister

Founded: May 01, 2011
Ex-Nation

[PASSED] Commend Glen-Rhodes, Take #2

Postby Connopolis » Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:03 pm

Commend Glen-Rhodes

Category: Commendation | Nominee: Glen-Rhodes | Proposed by: Connopolis

The Security Council,

RECOGNIZING the World Assembly ambassador of Glen-Rhodes, Dr. Bradford Castro, as one of the most prolific resolution authors of all time,

FURTHER RECOGNIZING the nation's delegation as a massive influence within the General Assembly which has currently drafted and passed an extraordinary collection of resolutions such as:

• GAR#52 Food Welfare Act, which prompts the distribution of food to countries plagued by famine while also creating an international seed bank to prevent individual crops from going extinct,
  • GAR#61 WA Copyright Charter, which creates an international standard for copyrights and protects patent holders from possible discrimination by individual member-states,
  • GAR#70 International Competition Laws, which promotes international free trade while preventing impairments to international trade (such as cartels, exclusive trade, and other anti-competitive policies),
  • GAR#94 Microcredits and Microgrants, which creates the World Microcredit Foundation as well as a subset - the Microgrant Institute - to distribute microcredits and microgrants to impoverished individuals,
  • GAR#112 Convention on Execution, which affects the practice of execution within member states while protecting certain individuals from capital punishment (pregnant individuals, mentally instable individuals, and children). This was an important compromise which resolved a tense resurgence of the capital punishment issue in the General Assembly,
  • GAR#130 Elections and Assistance Act, which promotes fair election in democratic nations and creates the Organization for Electoral Assistance, the purpose of which is to to assist nations with elections,

APPLAUDING the government of Glen-Rhodes for its creation of an automatically updated archive of how any member-nation that uses the service has voted in the General Assembly and the Security Council. This "Vote Tracker" has been immensely useful for any member-nation that wishes to maintain a record of its voting history.

FURTHER APPLAUDING Glen-Rhodes' relentless advocacy for democratic reform in the World Assembly voting system, although not necessarily agreeing with Glen-Rhodes on this issue. The nominee's steadfast advocacy and commitment is incontrovertibly admirable. To reveal what the nominee believed is an undemocratic system, Glen-Rhodes created "RealVotes," which reveals the votes of individual WA nations, the votes of individual WA delegates, and the influence that standard WA members have during individual votes broken down into a percentage,

IMPRESSED by the tenacity expressed by Dr. Castro while debating in the chambers of the General Assembly and by his persistence and application of logic and reasoning,

CONVINCED that any nation that instills such positive change in the world deserves recognition by the medium through which it conducted such change,

HEREBY commends Glen-Rhodes.

Co-Authored by [nation=short]Unibot II[/nation]
Last edited by Sedgistan on Sun Oct 09, 2011 12:52 am, edited 13 times in total.
From the office of,
Mrs. Pamela Howell
GA Ambassador of the Connopolian Ministry of Foreign Affairs

Nazis in Space
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 24, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Nazis in Space » Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:10 pm

Connopolis wrote:Well, there's not much to do except try again. Is this better for the critics:

ACKNOWLEDGING Glen-Rhodes as a retired defender, and a current member of the United Defenders League; one of largest organized alliance of defenders currently active; Glen-Rhodes is currently the Head Spokes-nation of the Native Rights Watch - a sub-division of the United Defenders League,

This will be submitted very soon, and your criticism is much appreciated.

Yours,
>Get your proposal defeated because of a namedrop
>Namedrop twice in the successor proposal

You're not very good at taking a hint, are you?

~ Mecha-Hitler, giggling. Yes, Mecha can giggle

East Klent
Minister

Founded: Jan 12, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby East Klent » Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:12 pm

Connopolis wrote:Well, there's not much to do except try again. Is this better for the critics:

ACKNOWLEDGING Glen-Rhodes as a retired defender, and a current member of the United Defenders League; one of largest organized alliance of defenders currently active; Glen-Rhodes is currently the Head Spokes-nation of the Native Rights Watch - a sub-division of the United Defenders League,

Yours,

"Maybe you should just drop the highlighted statement, Doctor."

~Dr. Benjamin Mason
~Acting Delegate to the WA for East Klent
Last edited by Ardchoille on Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IC: The United Republic of Klent, URK, or the United Klentian Republic. Canon Project
Defcon:1 2 3 4 (On Alert) 5

TNN: 6/30/15
The CKDA goes to Congress for ratification and the administration prepares for talks in Batavia.

NEKSE ▲39.63 |NKTSE ▲25.03|GDIE ▲8.45

Connopolis
Minister

Ex-Nation

2 Commend Glen-Rhodes, Take #2

Postby Connopolis » Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:13 pm

Nazis in Space wrote:

Yours,
>Get your proposal defeated because of a namedrop

Would you prefer I completely ignore his defending, because that would be silly. The UDL isn't taboo; just because there are other defender organizations doesn't mean that anyone is forbidden from mentioning the UDL.

Yours,
From the office of,
Mrs. Pamela Howell

Connopolis
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Connopolis » Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:14 pm

East Klent wrote:

Yours,

"Maybe you should just drop the highlighted statement, Doctor."

~Dr. Benjamin Mason
~Acting Delegate to the WA for East Klent

Noted; thank you your excellency.

Yours,
From the office of,
Mrs. Pamela Howell

Walabamba
Spokesperson

Founded: Jul 13, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Walabamba » Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:18 pm

If you were going to re-submit it I suggest just taking out the whole defender part. I don't want to put down his defending career but I don't believe it's what he should be commender for. Frankly, what he's done for the defender community is nothing compared to other defenders and I don't see 99% of them getting commendations. I suggest you stay with what's really impressive about Glen Rhodes career which would be his contributions to the WA. That would be what a good percent of all those people who voted against really want him commened for.
Avenio wrote:The Canadian ubermensch will soon sweep out of the North and devour the world in a thousand-year reign of darkness, as decreed by Dear Leader Harper from his fortress at Barad-dûr, also known as Calgary. So Canada, obviously.

Connopolis
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Connopolis » Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:21 pm

Walabamba wrote:If you were going to re-submit it I suggest just taking out the whole defender part. I don't want to put down his defending career but I don't believe it's what he should be commender for. Frankly, what he's done for the defender community is nothing compared to other defenders and I don't see 99% of them getting commendations. I suggest you stay with what's really impressive about Glen Rhodes career which would be his contributions to the WA. That would be what a good percent of all those people who voted against really want him commened for.

My main concern is that he is a defender, and even if that's not the main reason he's being commended, it should be a side-bit. He's been defending consistently for a while, and I personally see that as a contributing factor to the overall commendations; albeit, his WA work is definitely the driving force behind the proposal. I'll take removing the close into account, however.

Yours in warmth,
From the office of,
Mrs. Pamela Howell

Alqania
Minister

Founded: Aug 03, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Alqania » Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:22 pm

"If Your Excellency must keep the defender part, perhaps something like this would be more agreeable:

ACKNOWLEDGING Glen-Rhodes as a retired defender and the current Head Spokes-nation of the Native Rights Watch - a sub-division of the United Defenders League,

That ought to be seen as less name-dropping anyway. Is he retired though?"
Queendom of Alqania
Amor vincit omnia et nos cedamus amori
Former Speaker of the Gay Regional Parliament
Represented in the WA by Ambassador Lord Raekevikinfo
and Deputy Ambassador Princess Christineinfo
Author of GA#178
Member of UNOG and the Stonewall Alliance

A mean old man
Senator

Founded: Jun 27, 2008
Father Knows Best State

Postby A mean old man » Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:23 pm

How long is "a while," out of curiosity? Solid information seems to be a rarity around here.
A: SC#16 - Repeal "Liberate The Security Council"
A: SC#26 - Commend The Joint Systems Alliance
A: SC#30 - Commend 10000 Islands
A: SC#37 - Condemn NAZI EUROPE
A: SC#38 - Repeal "Condemn NAZI EUROPE"
A: GA#149 - On Expiration Dates
C: SC#58 - Repeal "Commend Sedgistan"
A: SC#62 - Repeal "Condemn Swarmlandia"
C: SC#63 - Commend Ballotonia
A: SC#65 - Condemn Punk Reloaded
C: GA#163 - Repeal "Law of the Sea"
A: SC#72 - Repeal "Commend Mikeswill"
C: SC#74 - Condemn Lone Wolves United
C: SC#76 - Repeal "Condemn Thatcherton"
A: SC#81 - Repeal "Condemn Anthony Delasanta"
C: SC#83 - Condemn Automagfreek
C: SC#84 - Repeal "Liberate Islam"
C: SC#111 - Commend Krulltopia ← please forget

Connopolis
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Connopolis » Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:24 pm

The Kingdom of RobO wrote:Waa Waa Waa.. Stop complaining Connopolis and G-R. The resolution was defeated plain and simple.

And take heart - this is an internet political simulation website; pretty much has nothing to do with real life.

So get over it.

-RobO

Err . . . I'm not complaining. The proposal is being redrafted, as was popularly requested. G-R hasn't even posted in the thread, aside from defending himself against false claims.

Yours,
From the office of,
Mrs. Pamela Howell

Warzone Codger
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 30, 2010
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Warzone Codger » Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:26 pm

The simplest is not to make any claims about the greatness of the UDL. Just call it a defender organisation without any boasting.
Warwick Z Codger the Warzone Codger.
Warzone Pioneer | Peacezone Philosopher | Scourge of Polls | Forever Terror Officer of TRR
GA #121: Medical Facilities Protection | SC #183: Commend Haiku | Commended by SC #87: Commend Warzone Codger

Connopolis
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Connopolis » Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:27 pm

A mean old man wrote:How long is "a while," out of curiosity? Solid information seems to be a rarity around here.

I can't get you an exact date without contacting Uni, however, his defending predates my nations existence, which is a fact.

Alqania wrote:"If Your Excellency must keep the defender part, perhaps something like this would be more agreeable:

ACKNOWLEDGING Glen-Rhodes as a retired defender and the current Head Spokes-nation of the Native Rights Watch - a sub-division of the United Defenders League,

That ought to be seen as less name-dropping anyway. Is he retired though?"

If I remember, he's retired, but does help with important liberations. I'll adjust the clause accordingly.

Yours,
Last edited by Connopolis on Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
From the office of,
Mrs. Pamela Howell

Nazis in Space
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Nazis in Space » Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:35 pm

Connopolis wrote:
Nazis in Space wrote:>Get your proposal defeated because of a namedrop

Would you prefer I completely ignore his defending, because that would be silly. The UDL isn't taboo; just because there are other defender organizations doesn't mean that anyone is forbidden from mentioning the UDL.

Yours,
How curious. How does 'Not mentioning the UDL' equal 'Completely ignore his defending*? Even if the UDL was the only defending organisation ever, I'm pretty confident one can mention defending achievements without resorting to using the hallowed halls of the WA as a cheap means to advertise it.

Other than the UDLs pressing need and insatiable desire to be mentioned in the WA - something no previous defending organisation has felt the need for, presumably because they were busy doing actual defending rather than using the WA to advertise their existence -, what reason is there to mention the specific organisation Glen-Rhodes is involved in?

I always understood that defenders are brothers, fighting for a common goal. But maybe the UDL disagrees with this interpretation...?

But regardless of all this, it's a paragraph that needs sourcing. Thus far, the defending achievements provided for Glen-Rhodes amount to 'Being a member' (Like hundreds of others) and 'Pushing Paper' (Head of the blah blah blah). This is... Less than impressive, and simply not worthy of commendation. Unless the nation of Glen-Rhodes was involved in actual frontline activities - and significant ones at that -, including this paragraph equals spitting in the face of hundreds who've achieved more.

~ Mecha-Hitler McSrsface

Nazis in Space
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Nazis in Space » Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:38 pm

Connopolis wrote:
Walabamba wrote:If you were going to re-submit it I suggest just taking out the whole defender part. I don't want to put down his defending career but I don't believe it's what he should be commender for. Frankly, what he's done for the defender community is nothing compared to other defenders and I don't see 99% of them getting commendations. I suggest you stay with what's really impressive about Glen Rhodes career which would be his contributions to the WA. That would be what a good percent of all those people who voted against really want him commened for.

My main concern is that he is a defender, and even if that's not the main reason he's being commended, it should be a side-bit. He's been defending consistently for a while, and I personally see that as a contributing factor to the overall commendations; albeit, his WA work is definitely the driving force behind the proposal. I'll take removing the close into account, however.

Yours in warmth,
Maybe then you should also list 'Being an extant, rather than ex-nation' as one of Glen-Rhodes outstanding achievements.

If padding, then real padding.

~ Mecha-Hitler

Connopolis
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Connopolis » Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:44 pm

Nazis in Space wrote:
Connopolis wrote:

Yours,
How curious. How does 'Not mentioning the UDL' equal 'Completely ignore his defending*? Even if the UDL was the only defending organisation ever, I'm pretty confident one can mention defending achievements without resorting to using the hallowed halls of the WA as a cheap means to advertise it.

Other than the UDLs pressing need and insatiable desire to be mentioned in the WA - something no previous defending organisation has felt the need for, presumably because they were busy doing actual defending rather than using the WA to advertise their existence -, what reason is there to mention the specific organisation Glen-Rhodes is involved in?

I always understood that defenders are brothers, fighting for a common goal. But maybe the UDL disagrees with this interpretation...?

But regardless of all this, it's a paragraph that needs sourcing. Thus far, the defending achievements provided for Glen-Rhodes amount to 'Being a member' (Like hundreds of others) and 'Pushing Paper' (Head of the blah blah blah). This is... Less than impressive, and simply not worthy of commendation. Unless the nation of Glen-Rhodes was involved in actual frontline activities - and significant ones at that -, including this paragraph equals spitting in the face of hundreds who've achieved more.

~ Mecha-Hitler McSrsface

With all due respect, you need to understand something ambassador, which you've been untinentionally omitting out of blatant spite - I have personally defended once with the UDL. I've posted on their forums once. Stating that I'm advertising the UDL is absolutely non-sensical, given the fact that not only do I lack the reasons to, but I lack the desire to. And before you go around saying that the UDL is so presumptuous, mentioning its own name in the resolution; I advise you read this. This was a private drafting process, in which I made very few changes, given the lack of interest by the generalites of the SC - this proposal was completely devoid of UDL influence, and if it satisfies you, I won't make true statements abou the UDL; rather, I'll simply mention their existence - or is that still too ostentatious to present within the proposal?

Also, "spitting in the faces of hundreds who've achieved more"? Please, if you'd be so inclined as to give me another nation that's passed 7 resolutions, was a former defender, and wrote the WA-based script that determines statistics of WA votes? Stating that hundreds have achieved more is not only spurious, but laughable. Overall, every statement made in your post was slanderous, with all due respect your excellency. It seems as if you've veered off on a tangent of personal spite directed at Dr. Castro, and Glen-Rhodes, and for that, I'm displeased.

Yours in frustration,
Last edited by Connopolis on Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
From the office of,
Mrs. Pamela Howell

A mean old man
Senator

Founded: Jun 27, 2008
Father Knows Best State

Postby A mean old man » Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:46 pm

Connopolis wrote:
A mean old man wrote:How long is "a while," out of curiosity? Solid information seems to be a rarity around here.

I can't get you an exact date without contacting Uni, however, his defending predates my nations existence, which is a fact.

Relatively speaking, that's really not a very long time.

I agree with the others here; either drop it completely or really trim it down to the bare minimum.
A: SC#16 - Repeal "Liberate The Security Council"
A: SC#26 - Commend The Joint Systems Alliance
A: SC#30 - Commend 10000 Islands
A: SC#37 - Condemn NAZI EUROPE
A: SC#38 - Repeal "Condemn NAZI EUROPE"
A: GA#149 - On Expiration Dates
C: SC#58 - Repeal "Commend Sedgistan"
A: SC#62 - Repeal "Condemn Swarmlandia"
C: SC#63 - Commend Ballotonia
A: SC#65 - Condemn Punk Reloaded
C: GA#163 - Repeal "Law of the Sea"
A: SC#72 - Repeal "Commend Mikeswill"
C: SC#74 - Condemn Lone Wolves United
C: SC#76 - Repeal "Condemn Thatcherton"
A: SC#81 - Repeal "Condemn Anthony Delasanta"
C: SC#83 - Condemn Automagfreek
C: SC#84 - Repeal "Liberate Islam"
C: SC#111 - Commend Krulltopia ← please forget

Walabamba
Spokesperson

Founded: Jul 13, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Walabamba » Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:56 pm

I really hope this is done properly this time. I personally very much appreciate everything Glen Rhodes has done for the WA and would love to see him commended.
Avenio wrote:The Canadian ubermensch will soon sweep out of the North and devour the world in a thousand-year reign of darkness, as decreed by Dear Leader Harper from his fortress at Barad-dûr, also known as Calgary. So Canada, obviously.

Cerberion
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 22, 2010
Corporate Police State

Postby Cerberion » Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:38 pm

Focus on just the WA stuff. Invasion Defending matters always become instantly polarized.

Besides, Glen Rhodes activities as a defender while good, are nothing out of the ordinary. Only that which is extraordinary should be considered commendable.

That's my two cents. Take em and spend em as you will.

Nazis in Space
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Nazis in Space » Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:41 pm

Connopolis wrote:
With all due respect, you need to understand something ambassador, which you've been untinentionally omitting out of blatant spite - I have personally defended once with the UDL. I've posted on their forums once. Stating that I'm advertising the UDL is absolutely non-sensical, given the fact that not only do I lack the reasons to, but I lack the desire to. And before you go around saying that the UDL is so presumptuous, mentioning its own name in the resolution; I advise you read this. This was a private drafting process, in which I made very few changes, given the lack of interest by the generalites of the SC - this proposal was completely devoid of UDL influence, and if it satisfies you, I won't make true statements abou the UDL; rather, I'll simply mention their existence - or is that still too ostentatious to present within the proposal?

Also, "spitting in the faces of hundreds who've achieved more"? Please, if you'd be so inclined as to give me another nation that's passed 7 resolutions, was a former defender, and wrote the WA-based script that determines statistics of WA votes? Stating that hundreds have achieved more is not only spurious, but laughable. Overall, every statement made in your post was slanderous, with all due respect your excellency. It seems as if you've veered off on a tangent of personal spite directed at Dr. Castro, and Glen-Rhodes, and for that, I'm displeased.

Yours in frustration,
How exactly are seven (Poor) resolutions relevant to defending achievements?

I urge the Connopolitan delegate to take the time to actually comprehend my words and the context they're spoken in. When we're talking specifically about a paragraph concerning more-or-less unextant defending achievements, I think it's reasonable to expect everyone to figure out that this is, in fact, the paragraph being talked about. Not any of the other paragraphs.

That the Connopolitan delegate still hasn't understood this, despite it being that specific paragraph that was, and still is, argued about the most, and the one that resulted in the commendation being shot down is, in truth, quite shocking indeed.

~ Mecha-Hitler, English Skillz

Unibot II
Senator

Founded: Jan 10, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Unibot II » Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:28 pm

Connopolis, drop the UDL/NRW reference. Focus on his WA Authorship, that's the bulk of what he's done in the WA. I'll look over drafting tommorow.
Vocenae wrote:Unibot, you have won NS.
General Halcones wrote:Look up to Unibot as an example.
Member of Gholgoth | The Capitalis de Societate of The United Defenders League (UDL) | Org. Join Date: 25/05/2008
Unibotian Factbook // An Analysis of NationStates Generations // The Gameplay Alignment Test // NS Weather // How do I join the UDL?
World Assembly Card Gallery // The Unibotian Life Expectancy Index // Proudly Authored 9 GA Res., 14 SC Res. // Commended by SC#78;
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Duty is Eternal, Justice is Imminent: UDL

Drop Your Pants
Senator

Founded: Apr 17, 2005
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Drop Your Pants » Sat Sep 24, 2011 3:13 am

I agree with uni....it feels weird :hug:

I find it amusing though. 11 pages of debating and the closest vote yet and you still ignore most of what was said. Has he done anything defender worthy? No, besides turning up :p
Happily oblivious to NS Drama and I rarely pay attention beyond 5 minutes

Eluvatar
Director of Technology

Founded: Mar 31, 2006
New York Times Democracy

Postby Eluvatar » Sat Sep 24, 2011 7:17 am

While I would certainly support the proposal with "ACKNOWLEDGING Glen-Rhodes as a retired defender and the current Head Spokes-nation of the Native Rights Watch - a sub-division of the United Defenders League," I do agree that it would probably be safest to simply strike that paragraph entirely.

I wouldn't want to take any chances.
To Serve and Protect: UDL

Eluvatar - Taijitu member

Mahaj
Senator

Founded: Dec 08, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Mahaj » Sat Sep 24, 2011 7:18 am

I did say previously to drop the defending stuff, i'd do that.

Also, don't submit this for a while. Remember our other commendation project? Yeah.
Aal Izz Well: UDL
<Koth> I'm still going by the assumption that Mahaj is Unibot's kid brother or something
Kandarin(Naivetry): You're going to have a great NS career ahead of you if you want it, Mahaj. :)
<@Eluvatar> Why is SkyDip such a purist raiderist
<+frattastan> Because his region was never raided.
<+maxbarry> EarthAway: I guess I might dabble in raiding just to experience it better, but I would not like to raid regions of natives, so I'd probably be more interested in defense and liberations

Connopolis
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Connopolis » Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:00 am

Unibot II wrote:Connopolis, drop the UDL/NRW reference. Focus on his WA Authorship, that's the bulk of what he's done in the WA. I'll look over drafting tommorow.

Cerberion wrote:Focus on just the WA stuff. Invasion Defending matters always become instantly polarized.

Besides, Glen Rhodes activities as a defender while good, are nothing out of the ordinary. Only that which is extraordinary should be considered commendable.

That's my two cents. Take em and spend em as you will.

Walabamba wrote:I really hope this is done properly this time. I personally very much appreciate everything Glen Rhodes has done for the WA and would love to see him commended.

Eluvatar wrote:While I would certainly support the proposal with "ACKNOWLEDGING Glen-Rhodes as a retired defender and the current Head Spokes-nation of the Native Rights Watch - a sub-division of the United Defenders League," I do agree that it would probably be safest to simply strike that paragraph entirely.

I wouldn't want to take any chances.

Mahaj wrote:I did say previously to drop the defending stuff, i'd do that.

Also, don't submit this for a while. Remember our other commendation project? Yeah.

The clause has been removed, given how unpopular it was; in retrospect, I'm not sure why I didn't remove it prior to submitting it/last night. :unsure:

Yours,
From the office of,
Mrs. Pamela Howell

The Republic of Lanos
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 17, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The Republic of Lanos » Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:02 am

We support!

Next

Advertisement