NATION

PASSWORD

DEFEATED: Fairness in Currency Exchange

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Arkinesia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 22, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Arkinesia » Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:54 pm

Flibbleites wrote:
Bears Armed wrote:
Arkinesia wrote:It's only fair to the countries to levy a tax on exchanged currency, because otherwise the exchange companies can never make a profit

"Does this statement make sense to anybody apart from its author?!?"

I think they're confusing a tax on a currency exchange with a fee on one.

Bob Flibble
WA Representative

So I have, it seems. :palm:

The Ambassador for Arkinesia mutters incoherencies at Crumblestan's reaction to the resolution, before saying:

"We feel that this resolution is a fine start, but this silly tax thing should go away by all means. If the resolution were to be re-introduced with merely the currency exchange board, the Fatherland of Arkinesia would heartily support it."
Bisexual, atheist, Southerner. Not much older but made much wiser.

Disappointment Panda wrote:Don't hope for a life without problems. There's no such thing. Instead, hope for a life full of good problems.

Krioval
Minister

Founded: Jan 24, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Krioval » Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:55 pm

Crumblestan wrote:Ambiguity in law (esp. concerning levies and monies) is more dangerous than my nuclear stockpile a monkey with a hand grenade. This is not something that should be enforced on the population at large. If you wish to pursue these tactics, I suggest you start this as a smaller, more regional scale with your ally nations. I suspect you will find the backlash from non-participating, neighboring regions to be an eye opener.

I strongly urge all WA members to vote against this and would support a vote of censure against the author if such a vote were to arise.

Signed,
The Supreme Lord and Commander of The Grumpy Old Armed Republic of Crumblestan

Seriously? You would support a censure against a national representative because he or she brought legislation up for vote? How you manage to lead a nation with such poor reading comprehension and political skill is beyond me.

[Lord] Ambassador Darvek Tyvok
Great Chiefdom of Krioval

Crumblestan
Political Columnist

Founded: Apr 19, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Crumblestan » Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:05 pm

Krioval wrote:
Crumblestan wrote:Ambiguity in law (esp. concerning levies and monies) is more dangerous than my nuclear stockpile a monkey with a hand grenade. This is not something that should be enforced on the population at large. If you wish to pursue these tactics, I suggest you start this as a smaller, more regional scale with your ally nations. I suspect you will find the backlash from non-participating, neighboring regions to be an eye opener.

I strongly urge all WA members to vote against this and would support a vote of censure against the author if such a vote were to arise.

Signed,

Seriously? You would support a censure against a national representative because he or she brought legislation up for vote? How you manage to lead a nation with such poor reading comprehension and political skill is beyond me.

The Supreme Lord and Commander of The Grumpy Old Armed Republic of Crumblestan will ignore the author's feeble attempts to malign his good name. (although this may further the argument for censure).

Flibbleites
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jan 02, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Flibbleites » Mon Sep 21, 2009 2:43 pm

Crumblestan wrote:
Krioval wrote:

Signed,

The Supreme Lord and Commander of The Grumpy Old Armed Republic of Crumblestan will ignore the author's feeble attempts to malign his good name. (although this may further the argument for censure).

Censure? Did some of Sheik Larebil's stash manage to survive the destruction of the UN building?

Bob Flibble
WA Representative

Wencee
Bureaucrat

Founded: Jan 25, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Wencee » Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:11 pm

our region casts it vote against this free trade resolution.
Myers-Briggs Type: INFJ
libertà e onore fino alla morte

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Tue Sep 22, 2009 2:35 am

Crumblestan wrote:Ambiguity in law (esp. concerning levies and monies) is more dangerous than my nuclear stockpile a monkey with a hand grenade.

"Which is why, despite the apparent failures in reading and/or comprehension by certain delegations, this proposal's terms do not contain any ambiguity."

Borrin o Redwood,
Chief Observer at the World Assembly
for
The High Counil of Clans,
The Confederated Clans of the Free Bears of Bears Armed.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Qumkent
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jun 03, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Qumkent » Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:31 am

Crumblestan wrote:
Krioval wrote:

Signed,

Feeble is a relative term, it was our belief that honoured Ambassador Tyvok's description of your Excellency's reading comprehension was in fact perfectly accurate. We would strongly urge your Excellency not to throw ugly terms like "censure" about in quite so casual a fashion, not least because the WA cannot censure its plenipotentiaries, making such threats as ridiculous as they are dishonourable.

Yours,
Mongkha, Khan of Kashgar, Ambassador to the World Assembly for the Autonomous Principality of Qumkent, a constituent state of the Confederated Sublime Khanate of Urgench

Learn more about the CSKU here - http://www.nswiki.net/index.php?title=Urgench

Charlotte Ryberg
The Muse of the Westcountry

Founded: Mar 14, 2007
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Charlotte Ryberg » Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:53 am

"I feel sorry when it comes to this but sometimes noting that this is an indication that further development is recommended: for the record the resolution was defeated 3,780 votes to 1,353. Now, I will release the destructor penguins to show how disappointed I am with regards to the general view of free trade resolutions: I gotta be sure it would work in some way... my dad will pay for the damages."

In a rare feat of drama witnessed in the halls of the World Assembly, Ms. Sarah Harper stormed out of the hall in fury as a huge explosion hurled a gust of strong hurricane-force wind across the hall, sweeping papers off the table and lifting some ambassadors off their feet and back into their seats. There appeared, the Destructor Penguins (not just robots this time unlike the defeat of the TEA), with eyes firing laser beams, with a potential to slice anything that would stand in its way...
Last edited by Charlotte Ryberg on Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:55 am, edited 2 times in total.

Arkinesia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Arkinesia » Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:04 am

Charlotte Ryberg wrote:"I feel sorry when it comes to this but sometimes noting that this is an indication that further development is recommended: for the record the resolution was defeated 3,780 votes to 1,353. Now, I will release the destructor penguins to show how disappointed I am with regards to the general view of free trade resolutions: I gotta be sure it would work in some way... my dad will pay for the damages."

In a rare feat of drama witnessed in the halls of the World Assembly, Ms. Sarah Harper stormed out of the hall in fury as a huge explosion hurled a gust of strong hurricane-force wind across the hall, sweeping papers off the table and lifting some ambassadors off their feet and back into their seats. There appeared, the Destructor Penguins (not just robots this time unlike the defeat of the TEA), with eyes firing laser beams, with a potential to slice anything that would stand in its way...

Arkinesia's ambassador, in light of being lifted from his seat, is even less inclined to vote in favor of free trade than before, he reports. He was forced to write via electronic mail, because the heat of the lasers has temporarily damaged his vocal chords. Arkinesia officially condemns Charlotte Ryberg's reaction.

Disappointment Panda wrote:Don't hope for a life without problems. There's no such thing. Instead, hope for a life full of good problems.

Krioval
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Krioval » Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:42 am

Charlotte Ryberg wrote:"I feel sorry when it comes to this but sometimes noting that this is an indication that further development is recommended: for the record the resolution was defeated 3,780 votes to 1,353."

While the Great Chiefdom is thankful for the intervention of the destructor penguins, we cannot help but to think that, with several weeks of development, redrafting, and transparency in submission, the fault ultimately lies with the lazy, those unskilled in reading legislation, and the petty. The debate on this resolution indicates that many voting nations were doing so based on incorrect assumptions, or worse, were stretching an interpretation to justify their prejudice against free trade.

The Gnomish Warbands
Lobbyist

Founded: Sep 20, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby The Gnomish Warbands » Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:12 pm

Thadbroxton Kornweasel III, and his gnomosh warbands stomp into the festering snakepit. They are wearing studded leather armor, or chain mail armor, and are carrying assorted warhammers, mallets, ball-peen hammers, and stout clubs. Many of them are also carrying War Ferrets on their shoulders, or holding the fiece buggers back with leashes. Thadbroxton stomps up to Ambassador Darvek,while smoking a vile smelling stogie, and says rather pugnatiously,

"Lets cut to the chase, Ambassador. I hear you have problems with idiots. My boys like to scrap. Do you want me to let the lads galoolie some of the oposition for you?"

Krioval
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Krioval » Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:33 pm

Why stop at some of the opposition, good warriors? In fact, I do believe that I have brought my ancestral axe. Perhaps we could teach one another a thing or two?

Arkinesia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Arkinesia » Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:52 pm

Krioval wrote:
Charlotte Ryberg wrote:"I feel sorry when it comes to this but sometimes noting that this is an indication that further development is recommended: for the record the resolution was defeated 3,780 votes to 1,353."

While the Great Chiefdom is thankful for the intervention of the destructor penguins, we cannot help but to think that, with several weeks of development, redrafting, and transparency in submission, the fault ultimately lies with the lazy, those unskilled in reading legislation, and the petty. The debate on this resolution indicates that many voting nations were doing so based on incorrect assumptions, or worse, were stretching an interpretation to justify their prejudice against free trade.

In our case, it was not for a lack of desire, but a lack of ability. We've not got the time to browse the General Assembly day in and day out reading through resolutions.

New Chalcedon
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 20, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby New Chalcedon » Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:47 pm

Krioval wrote:

I take offense at that remark: the Empire very clearly stipulated her objection to the legislation, as below:

New Chalcedon wrote:Absolutely not! The Empire of New Chalcedon is highly concerned about the issue of speculation, and the (proven) best way of dealing with ruthless currency speculators who try to sink nations' currencies and destroy their economies, and the first clause of the Resolution bans the only effective way of curbing speculation, saving only currency-fixing (which carries its own severe problems).

The Empire absolutely opposes this resolution, and will strongly consider resigning from the WA if it goes through.

These objections were not addressed, and any unbiased reading of the legislation lends credence to them.

- Marius Antoninus
Under-Secretary to the Crown for matters pertaining to the World Assembly.
Fuck it all. Let the world burn - there's no way roaches could do a worse job of being decent than we have.

Krioval
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Krioval » Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:53 pm

New Chalcedon wrote:I take offense at that remark: the Empire very clearly stipulated her objection to the legislation, as below:

New Chalcedon wrote:Absolutely not! The Empire of New Chalcedon is highly concerned about the issue of speculation, and the (proven) best way of dealing with ruthless currency speculators who try to sink nations' currencies and destroy their economies, and the first clause of the Resolution bans the only effective way of curbing speculation, saving only currency-fixing (which carries its own severe problems).

The Empire absolutely opposes this resolution, and will strongly consider resigning from the WA if it goes through.

These objections were not addressed, and any unbiased reading of the legislation lends credence to them.

- Marius Antoninus

Fair enough. At least Your Excellency had some form of reasoning behind your nation's decision. Not that the Great Chiefdom agrees with your position. Also, if Your Excellency wishes to improve the legislation being drafted here, participation is critical. If Your Excellency has ideas for modifying this legislation, now that it has failed, we are interested in hearing your suggestions.

New Chalcedon
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 20, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby New Chalcedon » Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:56 pm

Certainly. We believe that the first action clause, that which forbids any form of taxation on currency transactions, is inherently flawed - a 'deal breaker', as the term goes. If that were removed from the Proposal, we would change our stance to support of the Proposal, as it significantly levels the international playing field in the arena of currency markets.

- Marius Antoninus
Fuck it all. Let the world burn - there's no way roaches could do a worse job of being decent than we have.

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives