NATION

PASSWORD

[PASSED] Commend Ballotonia

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.
Mahaj
Senator

Founded: Dec 08, 2009
Ex-Nation

[PASSED] Commend Ballotonia

Postby Mahaj » Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:13 pm

Submitted!

Commend Ballotonia

A resolution to recognize outstanding contribution by a nation or region.

Category: Commendation | Nominee: Ballotonia | Proposed by: Mahaj

THE SECURITY COUNCIL,

ACKNOWLEDGING Ballotonia as an ardent champion of the defender cause,

NOTING that Ballotonia is the mastermind behind the liberation approach called the 'PuppetMaster Attack,' which was first used in The North Pacific in the largest successful liberation to date,

AWARE that Ballotonia presided over the Allied Liberation League, or A.L.L., which was connected to the A.D.N. and at its peak included regions such as The West Pacific, The North Pacific, The Rejected Realms, Nasicournia, Equilism, Nederland, Belgium, Utopia, and North America.

ACKNOWLEDGING Ballotonia’s leadership role in the close alliance between the regions of Nederland and Belgium which has helped keep the liberated region of Belgium active and secure under its native delegate of West-Flanders for almost two years to date,

RECOGNIZING the existence of the Ballotonian "office of almost-useless stats," which produced an interesting survey entitled "Flag Use Stats" which recorded statistics such as the most used flag in the world,

APPLAUDING the work of Ballotonian number analysts who conducted a population growth investigation with the goal of determining how quickly nations gain population and uncovered results that surprised many and debunked the old myth about population gain, which was that the population growth would be random as opposed to a systematic increase,

ASTONISHED that despite over 85000 nations currently existing, the same issues keep popping up in all of these nations,

COGNIZANT that Ballotonia has, through extensive research, catalogued these issues and the most common responses to them by nations, given the different issues names and numbers, and also listed the options that nations frequently take when addressing these issues,

RECOGNIZING Ballotonia as the author of the Security Council proposal 'Repeal Commend Sedgistan,' the only Security Council proposal yet to pass in the wake of the coup of The South Pacific by Devonitions, a puppet state of Sedgistan,

HEREBY Commends Ballotonia.

Co-Authored by [nation=short]A Mean Old Man[/nation]

Way under character count at 1944. Suggestions?

SOURCES

Issues Spoiler

Flag Design

System Bug

Flag Use Stats

Population Study

Repeal Commend Sedgistan
Last edited by Sedgistan on Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:02 am, edited 14 times in total.
Aal Izz Well: UDL
<Koth> I'm still going by the assumption that Mahaj is Unibot's kid brother or something
Kandarin(Naivetry): You're going to have a great NS career ahead of you if you want it, Mahaj. :)
<@Eluvatar> Why is SkyDip such a purist raiderist
<+frattastan> Because his region was never raided.
<+maxbarry> EarthAway: I guess I might dabble in raiding just to experience it better, but I would not like to raid regions of natives, so I'd probably be more interested in defense and liberations

Sedgistan
Site Director

Founded: Oct 20, 2006
Anarchy

Postby Sedgistan » Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:26 pm

It's rather weak on content - the proposal references a lot of stuff Ballo has done on the NS forums in the last couple of years, but little in the way of his gameplay history, which is long and dare I say illustrious. The making of a couple of flags is nothing compared to conceiving and organising the puppetmaster liberation of TNP, and defending with the GLA, ALL and Nederland.

If he's happy for you to pursue this Commendation, I'd recommend asking Ballo about his history, so the proposal can be more thorough.

There's also probably some Rule 4 issues, but I'll look later.

Mahaj
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Mahaj » Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:27 pm

Sedgistan wrote:It's rather weak on content - the proposal references a lot of stuff Ballo has done on the NS forums in the last couple of years, but little in the way of his gameplay history, which is long and dare I say illustrious. The making of a couple of flags is nothing compared to conceiving and organising the puppetmaster liberation of TNP, and defending with the GLA, ALL and Nederland.

If he's happy for you to pursue this Commendation, I'd recommend asking Ballo about his history, so the proposal can be more thorough.

I don't think there's Rule 4 issues, but then i've never been the best at Rule 4.

All I've experienced with Ballo are the stuff on the NS forums, other stuff before my time. I'll talk with him, though. And yes, i've got the go ahead from him.
<Koth> I'm still going by the assumption that Mahaj is Unibot's kid brother or something
Kandarin(Naivetry): You're going to have a great NS career ahead of you if you want it, Mahaj. :)
<+maxbarry> EarthAway: I guess I might dabble in raiding just to experience it better, but I would not like to raid regions of natives, so I'd probably be more interested in defense and liberations

Sedgistan
Site Director

Anarchy

Postby Sedgistan » Mon Jul 04, 2011 3:12 pm

Mahaj wrote:APPLAUDING the work of Ballotonian number analysts who conducted a population growth investigation with the goal of determining how quickly nations gain population, uncovering results that surprised many and debunked the old myth about population gain,

That looks to be too clear a reference to game mechanics. I'm sure you can re-phrase is so it's Rule 4 compliant without much trouble.

AWARE of Ballotonia's helpfulness in educating other nations about the happenings of the world, for example by informing the leaders of another nation about whether their nation was doing something wrong or if there was some problem that the almighty god [violet] had to fix,

Unibot managed to get a reference to [violet] into Condemn Flag Thief, but that was "Violet the deity" not "[violet] the admin". I'm not sure you can change this without it still looking like a reference to violet fixing bugs in the game.

COGNIZANT that Ballotonia has catolouged these issues, given them names and numbers, and also listed the options that nations frequently choose in adressing these issues,

That's another too-clear reference to game mechanics. Obfuscate!

Mahaj
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Mahaj » Mon Jul 04, 2011 3:16 pm

So deeper stuff than previous proposals of mine.

Is the last one completely unsalvageable, you think?

Sedgistan
Site Director

Anarchy

Postby Sedgistan » Mon Jul 04, 2011 3:21 pm

Nope - it should be workable. I'll try and come up with a suggestion tomorrow.

Mahaj
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Mahaj » Mon Jul 04, 2011 3:25 pm

Sedgistan wrote:Nope - it should be workable. I'll try and come up with a suggestion tomorrow.

Righty, thanks!

Quality Play Time Is Here
Bureaucrat

Founded: Jun 16, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Quality Play Time Is Here » Mon Jul 04, 2011 3:34 pm

Fanatism isn't commendable.
Last edited by Quality Play Time Is Here on Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Congratulations, you've just had fun! ヽ(´ー`)人(´∇`)人(`Д´)ノ

Economic Left/Right: -5.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.59

Unibot II
Senator

Founded: Jan 10, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Unibot II » Mon Jul 04, 2011 3:53 pm

You've covered some stuff he's done in the last year, but his actual history is incredible and worthy of a commendation. I'm not opposed to a commendation of Ballotonia in general, but this resolution needs a lot of careful research to be done properly. My worry is you will fall ill of the 'hip' new way of writing security council resolutions and attempt to water down and eliminate all of the great stuff that Ballo did as a defender (!!!).
Vocenae wrote:Unibot, you have won NS.
General Halcones wrote:Look up to Unibot as an example.
Member of Gholgoth | The Capitalis de Societate of The United Defenders League (UDL) | Org. Join Date: 25/05/2008
Unibotian Factbook // An Analysis of NationStates Generations // The Gameplay Alignment Test // NS Weather // How do I join the UDL?
World Assembly Card Gallery // The Unibotian Life Expectancy Index // Proudly Authored 9 GA Res., 14 SC Res. // Commended by SC#78;
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Duty is Eternal, Justice is Imminent: UDL

Lordieth
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 18, 2010
New York Times Democracy

Postby Lordieth » Mon Jul 04, 2011 4:07 pm

I would support a commendation, if some real work was put into this to reflect a broader range of Ballo's accomplishments. I'm sure with some digging you could give it some weight.
There was a signature here. It's gone now.

Frattastan
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 24, 2007
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Frattastan » Mon Jul 04, 2011 4:07 pm

*anything that has been already said by Unibot*

I hate when I'm late :P
San Francisco Bay Area (forum) | Founderless Regions Alliance (FRA) | Rejected Realms Army (RRA)

Drop Your Pants wrote:I think raiders are cute, the way they think they're big and scary people who threaten others :)

Unibot II
Senator

Founded: Jan 10, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Unibot II » Mon Jul 04, 2011 4:11 pm

Sedgistan wrote:
Mahaj wrote:APPLAUDING the work of Ballotonian number analysts who conducted a population growth investigation with the goal of determining how quickly nations gain population, uncovering results that surprised many and debunked the old myth about population gain,

That looks to be too clear a reference to game mechanics. I'm sure you can re-phrase is so it's Rule 4 compliant without much trouble.

No offense, but there are myths about population gain in real life too, what if Mahaj simply clarifies what this means in terms of NationStates? Like, "and debunked [an] old myth about population gain, that suggested a lack of government attention to issues facing a nation would negatively affect population growth,"
Vocenae wrote:Unibot, you have won NS.
General Halcones wrote:Look up to Unibot as an example.
Member of Gholgoth | The Capitalis de Societate of The United Defenders League (UDL) | Org. Join Date: 25/05/2008
Unibotian Factbook // An Analysis of NationStates Generations // The Gameplay Alignment Test // NS Weather // How do I join the UDL?
World Assembly Card Gallery // The Unibotian Life Expectancy Index // Proudly Authored 9 GA Res., 14 SC Res. // Commended by SC#78;
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Duty is Eternal, Justice is Imminent: UDL

Naivetry
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 02, 2006
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Naivetry » Mon Jul 04, 2011 4:17 pm

Sedgistan wrote:organising the puppetmaster liberation of TNP

That alone might have earned a Commendation if they'd existed at the time.

Unibot II wrote:You've covered some stuff he's done in the last year, but his actual history is incredible and worthy of a commendation. I'm not opposed to a commendation of Ballotonia in general, but this resolution needs a lot of careful research to be done properly. My worry is you will fall ill of the 'hip' new way of writing security council resolutions and attempt to water down and eliminate all of the great stuff that Ballo did as a defender (!!!).

Unibot and Sedge (and me) agreeing on something? Watch out... there must be some kind of time warp infecting the SC. :P

Mahaj
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Mahaj » Mon Jul 04, 2011 4:19 pm

Right, so, Ballotonia's defender history was before my time, so I obviously know little about it.

But I've talked to Ballo and have gained some knowledge, so i'll make some changes either later today or tomorrow.

Keep the comments coming, though, and if anyone has something to add about Ballo's history you think I wouldn't know or would have a hard time finding, do let me know.

A mean old man
Senator

Founded: Jun 27, 2008
Father Knows Best State

Postby A mean old man » Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:40 pm

If you plan to go through with this, It'd be nice of you to add something on his leadership role in Nederland's partnership with the liberated region of Belgium and note that his involvement in this area has helped keep Belgium, the first and what I believe to be the best liberated region, avtice and secure under its native delegate of West-Flanders for almost two years.

EDIT: There are also a lot of edits that should be made to the current text if it is to both read properly and be grammatically correct.
Last edited by A mean old man on Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A: SC#16 - Repeal "Liberate The Security Council"
A: SC#26 - Commend The Joint Systems Alliance
A: SC#30 - Commend 10000 Islands
A: SC#37 - Condemn NAZI EUROPE
A: SC#38 - Repeal "Condemn NAZI EUROPE"
A: GA#149 - On Expiration Dates
C: SC#58 - Repeal "Commend Sedgistan"
A: SC#62 - Repeal "Condemn Swarmlandia"
C: SC#63 - Commend Ballotonia
A: SC#65 - Condemn Punk Reloaded
C: GA#163 - Repeal "Law of the Sea"
A: SC#72 - Repeal "Commend Mikeswill"
C: SC#74 - Condemn Lone Wolves United
C: SC#76 - Repeal "Condemn Thatcherton"
A: SC#81 - Repeal "Condemn Anthony Delasanta"
C: SC#83 - Condemn Automagfreek
C: SC#84 - Repeal "Liberate Islam"
C: SC#111 - Commend Krulltopia ← please forget

Mahaj
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Mahaj » Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:52 pm

A mean old man wrote:If you plan to go through with this, It'd be nice of you to add something on his leadership role in Nederland's partnership with the liberated region of Belgium and note that his involvement in this area has helped keep Belgium, the first and what I believe to be the best liberated region, avtice and secure under its native delegate of West-Flanders for almost two years.

EDIT: There are also a lot of edits that should be made to the current text if it is to both read properly and be grammatically correct.

I do plan on going through with this.

I'll write up a clause about that, thanks.

And yeah, i'm going to clean up and essentially do a redrafting tomorrow. I imagine there will still be plenty of errors grammatically or form wise, though.

Flemingovia
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Dec 22, 2003
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Flemingovia » Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:38 am

Sedgistan wrote:It's rather weak on content - the proposal references a lot of stuff Ballo has done on the NS forums in the last couple of years, but little in the way of his gameplay history, which is long and dare I say illustrious. The making of a couple of flags is nothing compared to conceiving and organising the puppetmaster liberation of TNP, and defending with the GLA, ALL and Nederland.

I would agree with this. I think in the wider NS world (at least among anyone who has been around a few years) Ballotonia is best known for his actions as a defender, especially as Free4All in the puppetmaster liberation of TNP.

I suggest you read this article for some background:
http://www.nswiki.net/index.php?title=T ... _Conflicts
IMPORTANT: Before reading this post please read the terms and conditions below. By accessing this post you signify your acceptance, full and in part, of those terms and conditions:

http://img808.imageshack.us/i/disclaimer.jpg/

Milograd
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 10, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Milograd » Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:47 am

Naivetry wrote:Unibot and Sedge (and me) agreeing on something? Watch out... there must be some kind of time warp infecting the SC. :P

...Nai, we've entered The Twilight Zone. :O

I for one would be for this resolution, if it does Ballo justice.
Retired

Mahaj
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Mahaj » Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:58 am

Flemingovia wrote:

I would agree with this. I think in the wider NS world (at least among anyone who has been around a few years) Ballotonia is best known for his actions as a defender, especially as Free4All in the puppetmaster liberation of TNP.

I suggest you read this article for some background:

Thanks for the link!

Klaus Devestatorie
Minister

Founded: Aug 28, 2008
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Klaus Devestatorie » Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:04 am

I support, but only because it doesn't go any further into defending than an acknowledgement of what he believes in.

Mahaj
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Mahaj » Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:18 am

Klaus Devestatorie wrote:I support, but only because it doesn't go any further into defending than an acknowledgement of what he believes in.

I think, though, that i'm going to add more about his defending, because thats a big part of who Ballotonia is.

Redrafting to come later today!

A mean old man
Senator

Founded: Jun 27, 2008
Father Knows Best State

Postby A mean old man » Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:14 am

Flemingovia wrote:I suggest you read this article for some background:

I knew that somehow his ADN involvement would show up here. :p
A: SC#16 - Repeal "Liberate The Security Council"
A: SC#26 - Commend The Joint Systems Alliance
A: SC#30 - Commend 10000 Islands
A: SC#37 - Condemn NAZI EUROPE
A: SC#38 - Repeal "Condemn NAZI EUROPE"
A: GA#149 - On Expiration Dates
C: SC#58 - Repeal "Commend Sedgistan"
A: SC#62 - Repeal "Condemn Swarmlandia"
C: SC#63 - Commend Ballotonia
A: SC#65 - Condemn Punk Reloaded
C: GA#163 - Repeal "Law of the Sea"
A: SC#72 - Repeal "Commend Mikeswill"
C: SC#74 - Condemn Lone Wolves United
C: SC#76 - Repeal "Condemn Thatcherton"
A: SC#81 - Repeal "Condemn Anthony Delasanta"
C: SC#83 - Condemn Automagfreek
C: SC#84 - Repeal "Liberate Islam"
C: SC#111 - Commend Krulltopia ← please forget

Mahaj
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Mahaj » Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:49 am

So made some edits. Probably didn't catch everything, (pretty sure I didn't, in fact), and i've probably omitted some stuff accidentally, but yeah, there it is!

Morlago
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 22, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Morlago » Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:33 am

AWARE of Ballotonia's helpfulness in educating other nations about the happenings of the world, for example by informing the leaders of another nation about whether their nation was doing something wrong or if there was some problem that the almighty god [violet] had to fix,if nations should pray to the almighty god Violet to use her impressive powers to right the wrong of the world,

:rofl: I support this just because of this clause!
Angelo Gervoski
Minister of WA Affairs of
The United Islands of Morlago
Yë Morre Waidamün i Mórlago

DEFCON: 1 2 (Low) 3 4 5 6

Economic Left/Right: -1.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.33
Graph
Center-left social moderate.
Left: 2.2, Libertarian: 0.75
Foreign Policy: -6.11 (Non-interventionalist)
Culture: -6.31 (Cultural liberal)

Mahaj
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Mahaj » Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:34 am

Morlago wrote:
AWARE of Ballotonia's helpfulness in educating other nations about the happenings of the world, for example by informing the leaders of another nation about whether their nation was doing something wrong or if there was some problem that the almighty god [violet] had to fix,if nations should pray to the almighty god Violet to use her impressive powers to right the wrong of the world,

:rofl: I support this just because of this clause!

Thanks.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives