NATION

PASSWORD

The Mentors and Trainers Hub

A staging-point for declarations of war and other major diplomatic events. [In character]
Jenrak
Retired Moderator

Founded: Oct 06, 2004
Ex-Nation

The Mentors and Trainers Hub

Postby Jenrak » Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:36 am

Mentors and Trainers

The Mentors and Trainers hub is an open area for both the Mentors and Trainers to discuss and field questions, as well as provide help to anyone who needs to it.

Who are the Mentors?

The Mentors are a group of volunteers voted among themselves to assist newer players and field questions in regards to RPing, technology, story-mechanics, etc., etc. The main point of the Mentors is to provide an accessible source of assistance through telegrams and thread discussion for players, as well as a means for them to have their RPs checked and marked.

Who are the Trainers?

The trainers are a group of players who assist newer players, but it's a self-regulated voluntary service. Trainers, like mentors, may field questions and telegram discussions, and are able and willing to give aid to newer players.

So, what's the difference?

On the surface, there is no major difference between the two groups, but rather one of visibility. The Mentors are meant to help newer players or those unfamiliar an easy access and way to find someone who they will know will help them, and will be able to reply to them as quickly and effectively as possible. Mentors may also be responsible for have training RPs that include others and are aimed to trained, but it's not necessarily a part of their position, as others may do so as well.

Whereas Trainers are a completely voluntary service by sign-up, Mentors are a voluntary service through accepted obligation. Trainers will help you to the best of their ability and to their own time, whereas Mentors are required by their position to help you as soon as possible. Of course, considering that everyone is human, we all ask anyone with questions to be patient with anyone else.

If you have questions, always try and go for the first accessible Mentor or Trainer you see, and they will be more than happy to help you. Note: The colour or titles do not make either group more or less right than the other one, and it's not surprising to see overlap of discussion between both groups. Occassionally, this thread will also serve as a nexus of discussion for Mentors and Trainers alike on subjects they deem to be relevant or interesting.

Mentors

Trainers

How Do I Apply for Mentors?

The Mentors have a significant backlog of applicants. We want to keep the numbers low for now so that we don't overflow the II and GE&T community with too many Mentors, since not only does that become a drain on the site's administration (since I'm sure Reploid is getting sick of adding and removing Mentors), but also too many teal names does little other than reinforces a surface-level 'for the looks' mentality that people may have problems with. As a result, much of the Mentor numbers will ebb and flow based upon whether they're stretched for more people or whether there's a particularly bad case of widespread 'poor' RPing present.

How Do I Apply for the Trainers?

The Trainers are done by an application process from the existing panel judges. Anyone wishing to apply must submit a Single-spaced post detailing a scenario no longer than 1 page, 12 pt Times New Roman font to this thread. For scenarios, applicants must telegram ONLY ONE of the current panel judges (Leistung, Yohannes, Rethan, Santheres, and Cyrupe), who will provide you, the applicant, with a scenario to RP out. You must provide the following information when posting your application:

• the Trainer who gave you the scenario
  • the exact scenario you are RPing out
  • the application scenario post itself
  • any extra details and notes at the end that you may wish to add

Because we value flexibility, it is strongly recommended that you RP the scenario given to you. If you have a problem with the scenario and have a good reason, please notify the panel judge who provided you with the scenario to either provide you with a different one or to forward you to a different panel judge. Reasons for changing scenarios such as "I RP mainly / solely in FT / MT / PMT / PT, so I am very specialized" is a workable reason for changing, but simply "I can't do it", "I don't want to do it", "It's not the scenario I had in mind" will not. Ultimately, panel judges have the final discretion, NOT ME, as to whether they can or should change scenarios or not, so please do not telegram me if they are unwilling to change it. We want to ensure that applicants are experienced enough to deal with most of the problems or scenarios coming their way, rather than cherry picking their results.

Each panel judge will either post their evaluation, opinion and acceptance or rejection of your submitted application either in this thread or directly to me. Once a majority opinion has been formed (3/5 ayes or nays), I will either notify you of your status. If you have been accepted, you will be placed on the NSTrainer list. If you have been rejected, I will summarise all the criticisms from all panel judges for you, as well as provide my own opinion as to why you may have not been accepted.

Happy RPing. Please keep all debate on the Mentor program itself out of this thread, it would be much appreciated.
Last edited by Jenrak on Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:31 am, edited 25 times in total.

Cyrupe
Ambassador

Founded: May 22, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Cyrupe » Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:27 am

Looks good right now, Jenrak. Thank you for getting this part up and running.

Ustio North
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 16, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Ustio North » Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:45 pm

This, I can approve of. Nice.
Reports of my death were greatly exaggerated. However, rumours of my retirement were not.

[ Jenrak ]
Get Well Soon.

Milograd
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 10, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Milograd » Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:53 pm

Alright, nice to see this is up. Coolness. :)
Retired

Tergnitz
Senator

Founded: Nov 06, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Tergnitz » Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:12 pm

Who is ready for Mentor debate 2.0, because I am so there!

Jenrak
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Jenrak » Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:21 pm

Tergnitz wrote:Who is ready for Mentor debate 2.0, because I am so there!

Let's not. D:

Ustio North
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 16, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Ustio North » Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:08 am

Jenrak wrote:
Tergnitz wrote:Who is ready for Mentor debate 2.0, because I am so there!

Let's not. D:

And after all that preparation ; _ ;

Hides the DWI gifs
Reports of my death were greatly exaggerated. However, rumours of my retirement were not.

[ Jenrak ]
Get Well Soon.

-St George
Senator

Founded: Apr 25, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby -St George » Sat Jun 25, 2011 6:31 am

Put me down as a trainer, yo.
[19:12] <Amitabho> I mean, a little niggling voice tells me this is impossible, but then my voice of reason kicks in
[21:07] <@Milograd> I totally endorse the unfair moderation.
01:46 Goobergunch I could support StGeorge's nuts for the GOP nomination
( Anemos was here )
Also, Bonobos

Vici Minerva
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Vici Minerva » Sat Jun 25, 2011 4:34 pm

I may consider being a Trainer... but I'm relatively busy a lot :/
III-D

Neo ORB
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 29, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Neo ORB » Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:36 pm

Hey Jenrak, i'd like to sign up for being a trainer.
The Nare [FT]/Shattered Day Enterprise's [FT]
2015 P2TM Nominated for Best School-based RP character
There is no Neo Orb. Only "The Nare". Unless its MT.

Mesoland
Senator

Founded: Feb 12, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Mesoland » Sun Jun 26, 2011 1:01 pm

I'd like to sign up as a trainer

Gratislavia
Minister

Founded: May 24, 2010
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Gratislavia » Sun Jun 26, 2011 6:04 pm

If it's alright with the members of the TMaTH I'd like to throw my name in for a trainer.
"Direction Nationale de Notreceau"

Yohannes
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 17, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Yohannes » Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:18 am

Cool stuff Jen, i'd like to humbly sign up to be a trainer (specifically regarding global economies and trade if thats possible), if you would not mind in having me.

Perhaps, for a resume',

Cheers mate.
The Pink Diary | Financial Diary | Embassy Exchange | Main Characters
The Archbishop and His Mission | Adrian Goldwert’s Yohannesian Peace | ISEC | Retired Storytelling Account
Currency | HASF Materials | Bank of Yohannes | SC Resolution # 237 | #teamnana | Posts | Views
Retired II RP Mentor | Yohannes’ [ National Flag ] | Commended WA Nation
♚ Moving to a new nation not because I "wish to move on from past events," but because I'm bored writing about a fictional large nation on NS. Can online personalities with too much time on their hands stop spreading unfounded rumours about this online boy?? XOXO ♚

Grittonia
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 18, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Grittonia » Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:56 pm

This looks great, it just misses one thing. Me!

I mean, it's all great to see these people but they are all, how shall I say... Normal RP'ers. You need someone that can teach and help the new people who don't want to RP as a regular nation. And who is better for that job than Pappa Nick P. himself, the Joker of II, me? ;)
I am a Cultural-Nationalistic Authoritarian Socio-Capitalist. Grittonia's own Pappaïsm reflects that.
The Grittonian Embassy program!
Join my quest for World Fame! And my quest to make out with guys from all nations of the world! Sign-up now!
Hot, Dutch, gay and single!

Grittonia's Law wrote:Everyone is gay, they just don't know it.
One who automatically claims they are straight without probing are undoubtedly gay.

Gren's Theorem wrote:Everyone is attracted to Grit. Those who say differently simply refuse to acknowledge it.

"Oy vey! All he talked about was parties and sex! And those Perviolosi twins kept tugging at my pants. Get me some tylenol." - Roman Ambassador after meeting Pappa Nick & his entourage

Kylarnatia
Powerbroker

Founded: Jul 07, 2008
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Kylarnatia » Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:58 pm

Seeing as I didn't get in as a mentor - I'd still like to help out by being listened here as an open trainer to anyone who needs it and if there's an overflow of help needed from the mentors so I can help out ;)

I hope that's possible - cheers :)
The Ancient Empire of Kylarnatia // Imperium Antiquum Kylarnatiae
Lord of Gholgoth | Factbook (Work in Progress) | Embassy & Consulate Programme
I write mostly in PMT-FaNT, and I enjoy worldbuilding and storytelling. Any questions? Ask away!
NationState's friendly neighbourhood Egyptologist
Come one, come all to my Trading Card Bazaar!
"Kylarnatia is a rare Nile platypus." - Kyrusia

Layarteb
Powerbroker

Founded: Antiquity
Moralistic Democracy

Postby Layarteb » Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:42 pm

Jenrak, I will volunteer as a trainer.
If you're interested in the longest running, Earth-based, MT RP community, consider joining Earth II today
Earth II Moderator | Earth II Discord | Member of The October Alliance
Guide to My Stories
Member of Earth II
• • • • ‡ • • • •
• The Empire of Columbia •

Jenrak
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Jenrak » Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:46 pm

Added all applicants for Trainers. Originally I was going to use a 'please RP a specific scenario' sort of thing, but now I'm going to list those who volunteered as the qualification for being a Trainer, more like an equal-chance, egalitarian-esque acceptance style in contrast to the Mentor acceptance style. If people have any problems with it, please let me know in this thread, so we can discuss it.

Layarteb
Powerbroker

Moralistic Democracy

Postby Layarteb » Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:48 pm

Jenrak wrote:Added all applicants for Trainers. Originally I was going to use a 'please RP a specific scenario' sort of thing, but now I'm going to list those who volunteered as the qualification for being a Trainer, more like an equal-chance, egalitarian-esque acceptance style in contrast to the Mentor acceptance style. If people have any problems with it, please let me know in this thread, so we can discuss it.

Actually that idea is better, no reason you can't put it back in there, I wouldn't mind per say. No sense degrading the quality right?
If you're interested in the longest running, Earth-based, MT RP community, consider joining Earth II today
Guide to My Stories
Member of Earth II
• • • • ‡ • • • •

Czardas
Retired Moderator

Founded: Feb 25, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Czardas » Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:03 pm

If trainers are to be evaluated through any means, it should be negative, not positive -- "does this candidate have any qualities that preclude them from assisting?" rather than "does this candidate have any qualities that distinguish them" as with mentors, moderators and any number of other unelective positions. In other words, the only people whose time shouldn't be accepted are those who are typically unhelpful in some way ("you should bump your threads at least five times a day so they get noticed; the best way to win any war is through launching a lot of nuclear weapons at your opponent" at one pole, "fuck off and die, you wanker" at the other).
30 | she/her | USA | ✡︎ | ☭ | ♫

I have devised a truly marvelous signature, which this textblock is too small to contain

Ostronopolis
Minister

Founded: Dec 29, 2008
Father Knows Best State

Postby Ostronopolis » Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:12 pm

I'll volunteer as a trainer.
Most Noble Republican Union of Ostronopolis
“Mortici Touaente Antimia”
Ostronopolian Trading Company || Congburgers || Communique Guide || Factbook ||
Member of: || The Conglomerate || Sovereign Network
Observer of: || COMINTERN || IFA ||

Quotes:
<Amit:> Ostro
<Amit> Through your sheer force of character
<Amit> You could get a nation to work for you

Layarteb
Powerbroker

Moralistic Democracy

Postby Layarteb » Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:34 am

Czardas wrote:If trainers are to be evaluated through any means, it should be negative, not positive -- "does this candidate have any qualities that preclude them from assisting?" rather than "does this candidate have any qualities that distinguish them" as with mentors, moderators and any number of other unelective positions. In other words, the only people whose time shouldn't be accepted are those who are typically unhelpful in some way ("you should bump your threads at least five times a day so they get noticed; the best way to win any war is through launching a lot of nuclear weapons at your opponent" at one pole, "fuck off and die, you wanker" at the other).

Fair argument but you could have people who have otherwise remained neutral only because they feel that they do not belong in that role for want of not intruding but yet they could be helpful and by volunteering for a trainer position they want to become active in said role. So while they may be perceived as unhelpful because they have simply stayed to the side, they could be quite helpful. To be honest, I'd rather be denied by criterion than accepted blindly and I would think that just accepting people as a trainer could devalue the program and while this is nothing but good intentions, we all know what roads are paved with "good intentions."
Last edited by Layarteb on Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Guide to My Stories
Member of Earth II
• • • • ‡ • • • •

Mesoland
Senator

Founded: Feb 12, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Mesoland » Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:16 am

Thanks Jenrak. Will the Trainers get different coloured names like the mods/admin/mentors do? And do the Trainers need to put anything in their sigs?

-St George
Senator

Founded: Apr 25, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby -St George » Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:32 am

Mesoland wrote:Thanks Jenrak. Will the Trainers get different coloured names like the mods/admin/mentors do? And do the Trainers need to put anything in their sigs?

The trainers won't get different coloured names. That's kindof the point...
[19:12] <Amitabho> I mean, a little niggling voice tells me this is impossible, but then my voice of reason kicks in
[21:07] <@Milograd> I totally endorse the unfair moderation.
01:46 Goobergunch I could support StGeorge's nuts for the GOP nomination
( Anemos was here )
Also, Bonobos

Kylarnatia
Powerbroker

Founded: Jul 07, 2008

Postby Kylarnatia » Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:44 pm

Mesoland wrote:Thanks Jenrak. Will the Trainers get different coloured names like the mods/admin/mentors do? And do the Trainers need to put anything in their sigs?

Think of the colour of names on here as the debate on the colour of peoples skin; it is irrelivant and doesn't mean anything about the person. It doesn't make anyone anything diffrent - we're all equal on this forum ;) [I know, weird comparison, but it works :/]

Don't take my word for it - but I wouldn't say its manditory you put something out there. Your names now here, and when people need someone and come here, they'll see your name and contact you if needed. Though you're more then welcome to put it in your sig, which I might do :P

Anyway, thanks Jenrak. I was wondering if we had to supply anything, but that is a fair enough system - as any form of trainer can give new players a good start, and Mentors can easily build on them if they've seen whats been done and think that more can be added, not judging the trainers teaching ;)
The Ancient Empire of Kylarnatia // Imperium Antiquum Kylarnatiae
Lord of Gholgoth | Factbook (Work in Progress) | Embassy & Consulate Programme
I write mostly in PMT-FaNT, and I enjoy worldbuilding and storytelling. Any questions? Ask away!
NationState's friendly neighbourhood Egyptologist
Come one, come all to my Trading Card Bazaar!
"Kylarnatia is a rare Nile platypus." - Kyrusia

Alexiandra
Senator

Founded: Feb 04, 2010

Postby Alexiandra » Sat Jul 02, 2011 6:57 am

I'd like to sign up as a trainer.

Also am I right in thinking that Trainer is sign-up, whereas mentor is a position that is offered to you should you be deemed good enough?
Last edited by Alexiandra on Sat Jul 02, 2011 6:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
'A distinction is made in private life between what a man thinks and says of himself and what he really is and does. In historical struggles one must make a still sharper distinction between the phrases and fantasies of the parties and their real organisation and real interests, between their conception of themselves and what they really are.'

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to International Incidents