NATION

PASSWORD

Moon landing: real or fake? NS decides...

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Was the moon landing real or fake?

100% Real
78%
100% Fake
3%
Probably real, but could be convinced otherwise
13%
Probably fake, but could be convinced otherwise
3%
Other theory (please state)
2%

Total votes : 260

Esoterias
Diplomat

Founded: May 07, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Esoterias » Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:30 pm

Augenstan wrote:
Norstal wrote:Are you fucking kidding me?

Grammar Nazied.

Your service to the fatherland is much appreciated. Heil Spell Check!
Member of the Confederation of Nations
National Information NSEconomy Slovitrean Heavy Indistries Political Views
John Lennon wrote:When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.

Lykosia
Minister

Founded: Jul 06, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Lykosia » Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:37 pm

-
Last edited by Lykosia on Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:13 am, edited 3 times in total.

Mistlight
Bureaucrat

Founded: Apr 22, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Mistlight » Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:40 pm

One of the methods to measure the distance to the moon is to bounce a laser off a mirror left by the astronauts from Apollo 11 and measure how long it takes to return. If they had not been there, this would be very hard to do, wouldn't it?

WALDMAC
Secretary

Founded: Mar 22, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby WALDMAC » Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:48 pm

New new nebraska wrote:If your stupid enough to think the moon landing was faked you're probably too stupid to understand the earth isn't flat and has a moon orbiting it.

well that's sure a strong argument buddy. You must be a genius to come up with something that logical.

The truth is that nobody knows except for a select handful of people. Do i think that the moon landing was a hoax? no. Is it possible? of course. Just like its possible that *insert conspiracy theory* happened but the fact that there is no proof makes it a conspiracy. Arguing about something that cannot possibly be backed up with undeniable fact is what makes all you trolls out there cream your panties

Senestrum
Senator

Founded: Sep 15, 2007
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Senestrum » Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:48 pm

Lucantis wrote:
This thread is fake
What does it make?
Who says it's real?
I feel
It is
This is
Stupid

I bolded the things that describes this thread.

Here's what I wrote before your revisionist post editing:

Senestrum wrote:
Lucantis wrote:Ok. Let me just point out that this thread is frickin' stupid. Second, ALL the moon landings were real. Well except that one to keep the people happy. Also, we never been to Mars yet. All we sent were the rovers. Mankind has yet to build the technology to send humans to Mars and Venus, the Earth's two closest planets. After Apollo 18, we never went back to the moon. You know why? Aliens. Something attacked the crew of Apollo 18 while they were on the moon. I wonder if I can a Mod to lock or delete this. In my opinion, this is SOMEWHAT spammy.

bolded the things that are wrong

Lets run through them:

There was no moon landing intended to keep people happy; many people were getting quite angry about the expense

We have sent a lot more to Mars than rovers.

We could have had a person in orbit around Saturn in the 70's if we really really wanted to.

Nothing after Apollo 17 flew. Apollo 18 was cancelled.

Nothing attacked the crew of Apollo 18 on the moon, since the crew, you know, never went to the moon.
Need help with lineart or technical drawings? Want comments and critique? Or do you just want to show off?
If so, join Lineartinc today, Nationstates' only lineart community!
We welcome people of any skill level, from first-timers to veteran artists.

Lykosia
Minister

Founded: Jul 06, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Lykosia » Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:52 pm

The Sovietyeto wrote:It's impossible. Let's look at the facts...
1. The flag in the video was seen waving... On the MOON!
2. None of the film was damaged by the space radiation. The thin shield the apollo provided wouldn't be enough to protect the astronauts or keep the film 100% intact.
3. If the film is speed up a little bit the astronauts look like thy move normally... That proves it could be faked.
4. The landing the Apollo should have made all the nearby dust fly away, yet somehow Astrong makes a footprint...
5. I Armstrong was the first man on the moon then who was filming him?

1. Well, it is NOT waving. It's the inverted L-shaped pole, so they can show the heroic USA flag to the world.
2. they will only be exposed to small doses of radiation (1 rem), NASA said.
3. So, all old B/W photos are actually colored just because Photoshop can turn colored photos into B/W photos?
4. *sigh* There's still many dusts....just like dirt on earth. Are you able to sweep away all dusts from the ground?
5. You forgot the other astronauts.
Last edited by Lykosia on Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Voltronica
Minister

Founded: Aug 19, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Voltronica » Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:58 pm

Whether it was real or fake the U.S. still beats other countries in the way of science or creativity...it just depends which one you'd want us t have.
I am a bit of a pervert so get over it...or under it whichever you prefer ;)
[unclaimed space]
Serial RPist since Aug 2009!!
| Music Culture of Voltronica | FanT FB (UC)|
Phishing with worms is fun! I caught a catphish.
Quoets

Jari Head
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 24, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Jari Head » Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:19 pm

>:( ALL RIGHT! I've had quite enough of you youngsters claiming that the moon landings were faked. THEY WERE NOT FAKED! THEY ACTUALLY HAPPENED!! Any of you jokers trying to claim they didn't spend way to much time listening to brain dead far right talking heads and other clowns that failed basic physics. Also anyone born later than 1964 was too young to know exactly what was going on.
With the large number of sub adults on this site I'd say a good number of your parents were teenagers or younger while watching the moon landing.
We have two companies of Marines running rampant all over the northern half of this island, and three Army regiments pinned down in the southwestern corner, doing nothing. What the hell is going on?
Gen. John W. Vessey Jr., USA, Chairman of the the Joint Chiefs of Staff during the assault on Grenada, 1983
A bullet may have your name on it, but a grenade is addressed: "To whom it may concern."

Senestrum
Senator

Postby Senestrum » Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:28 pm

Hallistar wrote:
Senestrum wrote:
Please.

Even thinking that there is a possibility that we didn't go to the moon betrays either massive ignorance on the topic or a willful disregard for reality.

Which one is it?

I don't have time for this kind of dogmatism. I am not disregarding reality, I am aware of space missions having technical difficulties, and I'm saying there is a possibility to it, but that does not mean I actually believe that it is fake. I have read about the space program and reality, but I'm not going to be be labeled with ignorance just because I actually looked into the landing somewhat before instead of blindly accepting it outright.

It's not dogmatism and blind acceptance (superlolz, i probably know a lot more about it than you do), it's me not being a moron. If you had actually done research on it you would know that there isn't a possibility of it being faked on any level.

Hallistar wrote:Edit: I don't mean the possibility of it never happened in history, I meant that the possibility of it not occuring at exactly that date in 1969 but most likely at maximum occuring correctly a couple months or a few years later.

Backpedal harder.

Of course, this new position is only slightly less stupid than being open to the notion that the moon landings never happened. Every single mission was tracked by third parties (including the USSR, which would obviously have an incentive to blow the whole thing wide open if it didn't, you know, happen exactly as the US said).

The Sovietyeto wrote:It's impossible. Let's look at the facts...
1. The flag in the video was seen waving... On the MOON!
2. None of the film was damaged by the space radiation. The thin shield the apollo provided wouldn't be enough to protect the astronauts or keep the film 100% intact.
3. If the film is speed up a little bit the astronauts look like thy move normally... That proves it could be faked.
4. The landing the Apollo should have made all the nearby dust fly away, yet somehow Astrong makes a footprint...
5. I Armstrong was the first man on the moon then who was filming him?

1: there is a rod extending through the top of the flag that is slightly shorter than the flag itself, which gave it that wavy look.
2: It takes a pretty considerable amount of radiation to damage film, and the amount of radiation on the lunar surface isn't high enough to affect it through what little shielding there was on the camera.
3: You have a really bizarre definition of "normal".
4: Most of the velocity was canceled well before the lander neared the surface, and the rockets were throttled way down or outright canceled immediately before the landing. And in 1/6th of a g, you don't even need a lot of thrust anyways so even if they did land rockets-flaring they wouldn't have blown off a huge amount of dust. And since the lunar regolith is several meters thick at its thinnest points you would still have those iconic footprints.
5: An automated camera on a strut extending from the lander, which was activated by Armstrong before he got out.
Need help with lineart or technical drawings? Want comments and critique? Or do you just want to show off?

Jari Head
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 24, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Jari Head » Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:38 pm

Altamirus wrote:
Jari Head wrote:>:( ALL RIGHT! I've had quite enough of you youngsters claiming that the moon landings were faked. THEY WERE NOT FAKED! THEY ACTUALLY HAPPENED!! Any of you jokers trying to claim they didn't spend way to much time listening to brain dead far right talking heads and other clowns that failed basic physics. Also anyone born later than 1964 was too young to know exactly what was going on.
With the large number of sub adults on this site I'd say a good number of your parents were teenagers or younger while watching the moon landing.

hey,don't insult far righters that way, bullshit conspiracy theorists are worse that any political extremists.

Well, Rush 'Limpbrain' is a far right political extremist along with being a bullshit conspiracy theorist so I guess that's guilt by assocation.
We have two companies of Marines running rampant all over the northern half of this island, and three Army regiments pinned down in the southwestern corner, doing nothing. What the hell is going on?
Gen. John W. Vessey Jr., USA, Chairman of the the Joint Chiefs of Staff during the assault on Grenada, 1983
A bullet may have your name on it, but a grenade is addressed: "To whom it may concern."

Senestrum
Senator

Postby Senestrum » Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:40 pm

Altamirus wrote:
Jari Head wrote:>:( ALL RIGHT! I've had quite enough of you youngsters claiming that the moon landings were faked. THEY WERE NOT FAKED! THEY ACTUALLY HAPPENED!! Any of you jokers trying to claim they didn't spend way to much time listening to brain dead far right talking heads and other clowns that failed basic physics. Also anyone born later than 1964 was too young to know exactly what was going on.

hey,don't insult far righters that way, bullshit conspiracy theorists are worse that any political extremists.

The far right is rife with conspiracy theorists.

birthers and death panels, trololo

FEMA DEATH CAMPS

zerobama gonna TAKE OUR GUNS

Voltronica
Minister

Founded: Aug 19, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Voltronica » Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:06 pm

Well...someone is protective of their modular space shuttle...
I am a bit of a pervert so get over it...or under it whichever you prefer ;)
[unclaimed space]
Serial RPist since Aug 2009!!
| Music Culture of Voltronica | FanT FB (UC)|
Phishing with worms is fun! I caught a catphish.
Quoets

Caninope
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Nov 26, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Caninope » Sun Jun 26, 2011 12:27 am

Big Jim P wrote:
Voltronica wrote:About two cents...

Which is just about what it costs to teleport a man to the moon. Now if we could just get them damn lunar Egyptians to give us the password.

It's 42. The Bible is really just a massive cipher, which I solved with the help of Nicholas Cage while discovering enough gold to get the US out of debt for the rest of eternity.
I'm the Pope
Secretly CIA interns stomping out negative views of the US
Türkçe öğreniyorum ama zorluk var.
Winner, Silver Medal for Debating
Co-Winner, Bronze Medal for Posting
Co-Winner, Zooke Goodwill Award

Agritum wrote:Arg, Caninope is Captain America under disguise. Everyone knows it.
Frisivisia wrote:
Me wrote:Just don't. It'll get you a whole lot further in life if you come to realize you're not the smartest guy in the room, even if you probably are.

Because Caninope may be in that room with you.
Nightkill the Emperor wrote:Thankfully, we have you and EM to guide us to wisdom and truth, holy one. :p
Norstal wrote:What I am saying of course is that we should clone Caninope.

Big Jim P
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Big Jim P » Sun Jun 26, 2011 12:51 am

Caninope wrote:
Big Jim P wrote:
Which is just about what it costs to teleport a man to the moon. Now if we could just get them damn lunar Egyptians to give us the password.

It's 42. The Bible is really just a massive cipher, which I solved with the help of Nicholas Cage while discovering enough gold to get the US out of debt for the rest of eternity.

42? Inflation I guess.

Kudos on being greedy and hording all that gold for yourself. It's what I would do.

Finally, Nicholas Cage helped? Please. He couldn't even find his way to acting lessons, let alone solve any cipher more complicated that a=b, b=c etc.
Hail Satan!
Happily married to Roan Cara, The first RL NS marriage, and Pope Joan is my Father-in-law.
I edit my posts to fix typos.

Caninope
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Nov 26, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Caninope » Sun Jun 26, 2011 12:56 am

Big Jim P wrote:
Caninope wrote:It's 42. The Bible is really just a massive cipher, which I solved with the help of Nicholas Cage while discovering enough gold to get the US out of debt for the rest of eternity.

42? Inflation I guess.

Kudos on being greedy and hording all that gold for yourself. It's what I would do.

Finally, Nicholas Cage helped? Please. He couldn't even find his way to acting lessons, let alone solve any cipher more complicated that a=b, b=c etc.

well, I brought Nike Cage in hopes that Diane Kruger would show up and I could then badmouth both of them for acting in a pretty horrible series of films. But she didn't show, so I yelled at Cage and watched him get mad without moving his facial muscles.
I'm the Pope
Secretly CIA interns stomping out negative views of the US
Türkçe öğreniyorum ama zorluk var.
Winner, Silver Medal for Debating
Co-Winner, Bronze Medal for Posting
Co-Winner, Zooke Goodwill Award

Agritum wrote:Arg, Caninope is Captain America under disguise. Everyone knows it.
Frisivisia wrote:
Me wrote:Just don't. It'll get you a whole lot further in life if you come to realize you're not the smartest guy in the room, even if you probably are.

Because Caninope may be in that room with you.
Nightkill the Emperor wrote:Thankfully, we have you and EM to guide us to wisdom and truth, holy one. :p
Norstal wrote:What I am saying of course is that we should clone Caninope.

Vonners
Senator

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Vonners » Sun Jun 26, 2011 1:29 am

If you really REALLY want to get into space flight conspiracies then I direct you to the so-called 'Lost Cosmonaut' incidents.

Certainly far far FAR more interesting than anything that has been posited regarding the moon landings.

http://www.lostcosmonauts.com/default.htm <--- yes it even comes with its own horrific amateur website

AND

https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... Cosmonauts <--- its own WIKI

AND

http://www.forteantimes.com/features/ar ... space.html <--- a Fortean Times write up

you can't get much more conspiracy theory than that...well not counting the hordes of flying frogs in Egypt.
Beer - the other white meat

Norstal
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 07, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Norstal » Sun Jun 26, 2011 1:33 am

Caninope wrote:well, I brought Nike Cage in hopes that Diane Kruger would show up and I could then badmouth both of them for acting in a pretty horrible series of films. But she didn't show, so I yelled at Cage and watched him get mad without moving his facial muscles.

Did you get bees in his eyes?
Toronto Sun wrote:Best poster ever. ★★★★★

New York Times wrote:No one can beat him in debates. 5/5.

IGN wrote:Literally the best game I've ever played. 10/10

NSG Public wrote:What a fucking douchebag.

Supreme Chairman for Life of the Itty Bitty Kitty Committee

Euronion
Senator

Founded: Apr 07, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Euronion » Sun Jun 26, 2011 2:02 am

see when thinking about this, you have to think how many people were involved alright, hundreds if not thousands of people were involved you don't think that some engineers wouldn't go homw to their families and tell them how cool it was, or go out to a bar and get drunk and blab about it, the thing is the massive scale of the moon landing made it almost impossible to keep any leaks from going out, if the guy from wikileaks can get top secret military information, I am sure a few news reporters or soviet spies can get their hands on the fake moon landing, people blab, and almost nothing will stop people from blabing, I have a friend who thinks the moon landing was faked, I argue with him all the time over it, one of his arguements is "if it was true why don't we go to the moon more often" well maybe because it costs billions of dollars and years of construction and planning and weahter prediction to do it, and why would we need to go there? its not like the moon has money trees, or diamonds, or gold, its a piece of rock, we've been their tons of times why go back, let me put it this way, if you go to the a small store that only sells ten things, and you go their ten times and buy those ten things why go back? sure moon rocks are very valuable, but if the government started releasing moon rocks to the public ton by ton it would be worthless
GOD BLESS AMERICA!!!!!
The Official Euronion Website
Proud Catholic and Member of the Tea Party; militant atheists, environmental extremists, fem-nazis, Anti-Lifers, Nazists, and Communists you have been warned
Thomas Paine wrote:"to argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead"
The name of our country is Euronion, the name of anything that is Euronion is called the/a Euronion ____, please do not say "the Euronionian, or the Euronionion people or military, it is simply the Euronion people, the Euronion military, ect. nor is Euronion a reference to the European Union or some United Europe.

Equimanthon
Diplomat

Founded: May 22, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Equimanthon » Sun Jun 26, 2011 2:52 am

We've definitely been to the moon. The only landing I have any doubts about is the first one, but even still I'm 99% sure it was real.
Eternal Yerushalayim wrote:Labour deserves the skeleton of Ramsay Macdonald as its leader.

Meowfoundland
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Meowfoundland » Sun Jun 26, 2011 3:02 am

If it was real, then why didn't they bring back moon cheese? All they apparently 'brought back' were rocks, which you can easily fake. If they actually went to the moon, then they would have moon cheese to prove it.
This was formerly a signature. One day, it may return to its splendid past. In the meantime, enjoy some pictures of my cats.

-St George
Senator

Founded: Apr 25, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby -St George » Sun Jun 26, 2011 5:27 am

Mike the Progressive wrote:It's fake, obviously. Just as 9/11 was an inside job, Obama was born in Indonesia and Kenya at the same time, and Kennedy was assassinated....by aliens.

Kennedy's in the shower.
[19:12] <Amitabho> I mean, a little niggling voice tells me this is impossible, but then my voice of reason kicks in
[21:07] <@Milograd> I totally endorse the unfair moderation.
01:46 Goobergunch I could support StGeorge's nuts for the GOP nomination
( Anemos was here )
Also, Bonobos

Nazis in Space
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 24, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Nazis in Space » Sun Jun 26, 2011 6:09 am

I don't know. I remember way back when I was a cute li'l Nazi, a mere four years old, and wanted to give the half moon some food so it could grow again.

Sadly, the ladder wasn't long enough.

So personal experience suggests that it isn't possible. But if NASO built a bigger ladder, maybe?

Have to see evidence of this ladder, though.

SaintB
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 18, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby SaintB » Sun Jun 26, 2011 7:08 am

The only proof that we need to know that the lunar landing was in fact real are the reflector arrays left by the Apollo missions on the surface of the moon so that astronomers could bounce beams of light off of them and get a precise distance from the moon too the earth at any given time.
Hi my name is SaintB and I am prone to sarcasm and hyperbole. Because of this I make no warranties, express or implied, concerning the accuracy, completeness, reliability or suitability of the above statement, of its constituent parts, or of any supporting data. These terms are subject to change without notice from myself.

Every day NationStates tells me I have one issue. I am pretty sure I've got more than that.

Strykla
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 30, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Strykla » Sun Jun 26, 2011 7:22 am

I still think the Moon was being investigated as a possible alternative to death once the Earth runs out of air. The Moon will be renamed...
PLANET SPACEBALL
Lord Justice Clerk of the Classical Royalist Party, NSG Senate. Hail, Companion!

The Alma Mater
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 23, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby The Alma Mater » Sun Jun 26, 2011 8:45 am

Fake of course. Where was Dr Manhattan filming it ?
Getting an education was a bit like a communicable sexual disease.
It made you unsuitable for a lot of jobs and then you had the urge to pass it on.
- Terry Pratchett, Hogfather

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General