NATION

PASSWORD

[PASSED] REPEAL Extinction Preparation Act

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.

Advertisement

Remove ads

The Coyote Coalition
Bureaucrat

Founded: Oct 26, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby The Coyote Coalition » Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:26 pm

Mallorea and Riva wrote:ooc: I don't have a reliable internet connection currently, but I see things are going very well here.

(OOC: It would seem so. By all indications, rather than arguing the point, it would be wiser to pen a revised proposal at a later date that caters to the new trends in the World Assembly once I've found a new region to call home and have more time on my hands. Besides, arguing until I'm red in the face, so to speak, when there really isn't much of a point during my day and a half off doesn't sound nearly as appealing as, say, playing a video game... the primary author is giving up on the game anyhow, so I might as well attempt to make my own contributions.)

Jedi Utopians wrote:Yes...well, modly godly "We have telekinetic mind powers that can blow your brains into jelly!" and "our level of technology is better than everyone else's!" and so forth. Adding to the complexity and frustration of trying to get people on the same page.

(OOC: Agreed. It's unfortunate in my opinion but that's an inevitability with a game of this nature. Some might view it as good or bad depending on their idea of what the game should be, although, it would be nice to have some general consensus as to tech level... if only for determining what should or should be included in a resolution. I, personally, like real world analogues... technologically speaking, anyhow... doesn't really matter if humans in a nation are re-skinned to be dragons or teenage mutant ninja turtles or whatever... but I would be a happy camper if some kind of decision on that could be reached.)

Isaris wrote:I am for this repeal. While the resolutions intentions are pure, its methods are flawed. In my opinion, to most effective, multiple facilities would be required and should be located off-planet. Technology needs to be developed that could allow humans to establish such facilities on captured asteroids with propulsion systems. These facilities would be immune to planetary devastation, and would be transportable so as to escape the inevitable death of our sun. These facilities could then be the basis of spreading Earth life onto other habitable worlds.

That sounds... a little ridiculous? That is to say, it would be horribly implausible and inefficient from a financial stand-point, regardless of the tech level of any given nation.
Eustace Levi, Managing Director of the Adhocracy of the Coyote Coalition.

Mousebumples
Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Mousebumples » Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:48 pm

As has perhaps been noted by some, I haven't been terribly active on the boards as of late ... mostly for a variety of RL-inference/etc., reasons.

However, I am quite pleased to see that this repeal attempt has reached a vote, and I am especially happy to see the wide margin by which this repeal is passing. :clap:

VOTE YES!
Leader of the Mouse-a-rific Mousetastic Moderator Mousedom of Mousebumples
Past WA Delegate for Europeia & Monkey Island
Proud Member of UNOG
I'm an "adorably marvelous NatSov" - Mallorea and Riva
GA Resolutions (sorted by category) | Why Repeal? | Reppy's Sig Workshop

Kcspot
Lobbyist

Founded: Mar 25, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Kcspot » Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:08 pm

BRAINWAVE

why isn't there a function to amend existing passed legislation.

seems like a no brainer

Mousebumples
Game Moderator

Postby Mousebumples » Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:10 pm

Kcspot wrote:BRAINWAVE

why isn't there a function to amend existing passed legislation.

seems like a no brainer

Please see my Why Repeal? thread. Further details on why amendments are illegal can be found here and here.
Proud Member of UNOG

Domeshka
Lobbyist

Founded: May 30, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Domeshka » Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:17 am

Our nation of Domeshka has not reached a decision on this issue yet.

We would tend to vote against this repeal, as we see it beneficial for all nations to send genetic material to be preserved in one spot. Granted, an environmental, or man-made catastrophe could occur, but I would guess security would be implied, both structurally and against terror attacks. We also agree with the point that each nation could create their own, independent stocks of this genetic material, but we see no point in denying the creation of a wider, worldwide system. Two backstocks of this material would just further secure genetic samples. We also have seen the point that nations are not FORCED to send genetic material, but that should not prevent the willing ones from creating this rather beneficial bank of genetic material.

We do see the wide margin by which this repeal seems to be winning, and we also see that our region's delegate has voted FOR this repeal.

So, after considering these facts, the nation of Domeshka would like to know if there is some major flaw, other than those minor ones, to the original legislation that we seemed to have missed, and would warrant a vote for this repeal.
Respectfully,
The People of the Democratic Republic of Domeshka

Romanatzi
Lobbyist

Founded: Jun 03, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Romanatzi » Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:04 am

Domeshka wrote:We also agree with the point that each nation could create their own, independent stocks of this genetic material, but we see no point in denying the creation of a wider, worldwide system. Two backstocks of this material would just further secure genetic samples. We also have seen the point that nations are not FORCED to send genetic material, but that should not prevent the willing ones from creating this rather beneficial bank of genetic material.

I agree with you. Individual nations could and probably should have their own research and preserve facilities, but that should not interfere with a World Assembly Scientific Programme and rather collaborate with such an institute.

Sanitaristan
Civil Servant

Founded: May 27, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Sanitaristan » Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:21 am

The Sanitaristan Science Advisory Council is saddened by the impending loss of the biodiversity facility that will follow the repeal of the Extinction Preparation Act. We hold that the original Act allows both member nations, non-member nations, and the scientific community adequate leeway in submitting samples without making it a requirement violating national sovereignty while allowing scientific experts to determine the best means of preserving samples within the institute. Sanitaristan votes against the repeal. That being said, the Council would be more than happy to purchase genetic samples from the facility for patent submissions and research.

Romanatzi
Lobbyist

Founded: Jun 03, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Romanatzi » Sat Jun 11, 2011 10:02 am

Mallorea and Riva wrote:The security risk as a single disaster - whether caused by nature or by man - would take out all materials, information, and employees of the facility

A single disaster might destroy the whole world, including the World Assembly Scientific Programme. The single great disaster is the worst case scenario. However, please consider not only worst, but bad case scenario as well.
Until or unless that happens, WASP could bring great benefits to humanity and biodiversity in general as it be will provide a complete valuable database designed to preserve life as it is, including present day endangered species.
Sanitaristan wrote:We hold that the original Act allows both member nations, non-member nations, and the scientific community adequate leeway in submitting samples without making it a requirement violating national sovereignty while allowing scientific experts to determine the best means of preserving samples within the institute. Sanitaristan votes against the repeal.

I agree.
Last edited by Romanatzi on Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I tell you this:
No eternal reward
Will forgive us now
For wasting the dawn.

The Doors

Frenequesta
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 22, 2010
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Frenequesta » Sat Jun 11, 2011 3:03 pm

This act looks like it will pass easily. Any plans for a replacement yet?
I’m mostly here for... something to do, I suppose.

Alterrea
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Mar 18, 2011
Ex-Nation

Alterrea votes AGAINST

Postby Alterrea » Sat Jun 11, 2011 4:19 pm

At a first reading of the text of this Resolution, it seemed to Our WA Mission that the Authors were worried that a single preservation site was insufficient to protect World's biodiversity. That's exactly what Our Ministry of Wildilfe and Environment thinks.

A further reading made the College of the Wise to be a little more cautious about this Resolution.
This provision
RECOGNIZES that individual nations are more than capable of funding and maintaining security over similar projects on a national and/or regional level:

made the Ministry of external Relation to say that it seems a lure for Lemming Nations, because it makes them to think that the original Resolution forbids Biopreservation facilities other than the WA's Extinction Preparation Research Facility. That's not true: Alterrea has its own National Biopreservation Centre and also four Divisional Biopreservation Centres, and at the same time it cooperates with the WA's Extinction Preparation Research Facility.

So, further investigation were ordered and the Alterrean WA Mission discovered this Declaration of Intents by the Ambassador of the Doctoral Monkey Feet, co-author of the Repeal:
However, my nation is more than capable of preventing the extinction of our native species without the helping hand of the WA.

Alterrea wants the WA to carry on a World Biopreservation facility and to compel all Nations to contribute! More: the Community wants to have more Facilities run by the WA!

That's why the Senate (31-29)and the Grand Council (241-159) of Alterrea decided to vote against this Repeal.
Last edited by Alterrea on Sat Jun 11, 2011 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Community of Alterrea's Mission to the World Assembly

OOC: Be patient, English is not my mother-tongue. I'm learning.
If you find errors in my comments, please tell me.

Mousebumples
Game Moderator

Postby Mousebumples » Sat Jun 11, 2011 5:11 pm

Frenequesta wrote:This act looks like it will pass easily. Any plans for a replacement yet?

Proud Member of UNOG

Mallorea and Riva
Game Moderator

Founded: Sep 29, 2010
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Mallorea and Riva » Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:22 pm

OOC: The internet is a wonderful thing. Don't take it for granted.

IC: Zakath leaned back in his chair with a satisfied smile on his face.

Well this seems to be going well. I expected this to pass but at this rate the success will have exceeded my own expectations considerably.
Ideological Bulwark #253
Retired Major of The Black Hawks
Retired Charter Nation: Political Affairs in Antarctic Oasis
Retired Colonel of DEN Central Command, now defunct
Former Delegate of The South Pacific, winner of TSP's "Best Dali" Award
Retired Secretary of Defense of Stargate
Terror of The Joint Systems Alliance
Mall Isaraider, son of Tram and Spartz, Brother of Tal and apparently Sev the treacherous bastard.
Frattastan quote of the month: Mall is following those weird beef-only diets now.

The Gelkish Union
Civilian

Founded: Feb 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

I vote for

Postby The Gelkish Union » Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:49 pm

Flibbleites
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jan 02, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Flibbleites » Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:12 pm

The Gelkish Union wrote:Join The Democratic Alliance!

http://www.nationstates.net/region=the_ ... c_alliance

Regional ads belong in Gameplay and certainly not in the GA's At Vote thread.

Theyzer
Civil Servant

Founded: Mar 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Theyzer » Sat Jun 11, 2011 10:55 pm

The Nation of Theyzer has not made up thier mind yet, the current law could be written better. However we don't see many reasons why it needs to be repealed. Can someone give us some clear reasons why? The thought that non-WA members could use this as bilogical weapons does scare us.

Domeshka
Lobbyist

Founded: May 30, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Domeshka » Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:02 pm

The nation of Domeshka has decided to vote for this legislation, in spite of our support of the initial resolution it repeals.

While we don't agree with all the reasoning behind the author's repeal, such as it being pointless to have national storage facilities in addition to a WA governed one, we do find some arguments for repealing this legislation compelling enough to warrant a vote for it.

We believe the security issue does need to be addressed, as well as the location. While catastrophes are bound to happen in any facility, Domeshka agrees that the impact from such events could be lessened with multiple facilities in varying regions, along with a backup system of some sort, to ensure no loss of research or genetic material occurs that would devastate the program. We believe some sort of national security, as well as structural security should mandated as well. We do still believe however, that non-members SHOULD be charged in regards to USE of this program from research purposes. Politics aside- As it is member funded, it would only be fair for non-members to pay for sending scientists to a member-funded facility. They should not be charged for keeping of genetic material, however, as this would be, in our opinion, a duty of the world- to ensure life continues.

So, with hopes that a new piece of legislation that continues the efforts of the Extinction Preparation Act, but more securely and efficiently, will quickly be put in to place- The nation of Domeshka votes for the Repeal of the Extinction Preparation Act.
Respectfully,
The People of the Democratic Republic of Domeshka

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:39 am

Domeshka wrote:As it is member funded, it would only be fair for non-members to pay for sending scientists to a member-funded facility. They should not be charged for keeping of genetic material, however, as this would be, in our opinion, a duty of the world- to ensure life continues.

Good point.

After a poll of our region, and in the hopes of a better replacement (which we would certainly be willing to help draft..,), Bears Armed Mission is switching its vote from 'Against' to 'For'.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Jedi Utopians
Envoy

Founded: Dec 28, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Jedi Utopians » Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:55 am

If a replacement is in the works, please make a note of my objections to the first one and address them.
The honorable Son Rai, envoy of the Republic Council
Economic Left/Right: -4.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.10
"Think: Christ, Gandhi, or Mr. Rogers."
--
Me: You're funny. Naive, but funny.
Jedi8246: I fail to see the humor. Or how I am naive.
--

Mahaj
Senator

Founded: Dec 08, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Mahaj » Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:56 pm

Jedi Utopians wrote:If a replacement is in the works, please make a note of my objections to the first one and address them.

Could you link a post with those objections?
Aal Izz Well: UDL
<Koth> I'm still going by the assumption that Mahaj is Unibot's kid brother or something
Kandarin(Naivetry): You're going to have a great NS career ahead of you if you want it, Mahaj. :)
<@Eluvatar> Why is SkyDip such a purist raiderist
<+frattastan> Because his region was never raided.
<+maxbarry> EarthAway: I guess I might dabble in raiding just to experience it better, but I would not like to raid regions of natives, so I'd probably be more interested in defense and liberations

Mallorea and Riva
Game Moderator

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Mallorea and Riva » Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:00 am

Votes For: 10,302

Votes Against: 1,610

[Delegate Votes]

Voting Ends: in 60 minutes

Mallorea and Riva: FOR

That sums it up pretty well.
Ideological Bulwark #253
Mall Isaraider, son of Tram and Spartz, Brother of Tal and apparently Sev the treacherous bastard.
Frattastan quote of the month: Mall is following those weird beef-only diets now.

Mallorea and Riva
Game Moderator

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Mallorea and Riva » Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:01 am

Votes For: 10,499
Votes Against: 1,615

Implemented: Tue Jun 14 2011

And that, as they say, is that!
Just for my own notes:

This resolution had more votes "For" than any other GA resolution with the exception of GA Resolution 1, the World Assembly. How that happened, I do not know.
Last edited by Mallorea and Riva on Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ideological Bulwark #253

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives