NATION

PASSWORD

The New Guide to Embassies and Consulates

A place to put national factbooks, embassy exchanges, and other information regarding the nations of the world. [In character]
Zinaire
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 01, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Zinaire » Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:29 pm

While there is already a guide to embassies, it really doesn't get to the heart of the issue. While it certainly doesn't hurt to have a guide on the basics of setting up an embassy program on NationStates, there are lots of other issues which need to be considered if realism is going to be a goal (and I feel that it always should be).

In NS, there is no convention that governs embassies and such as there is in the real world. This means that none of the things I say here are hard and fast rules, but they are still worth noting.

Throughout this post, I will use "represented nation" to refer to the nation which established the diplomatic mission and "host nation" to refer to the nation in which the mission is located. For instance, if we look at the United States embassy in Mexico, the US is the represented nation and Mexico is the host nation.

I would also like to point out that I am not an expert or even a student of international law or international relations. I'm sure there are those on NS who could add to this guide or otherwise improve it. If you're one of those people, please comment so that I can make this better.

Contents
1 Embassies, Consulates, and the Difference
2 International and Diplomatic Law
2.1 Diplomatic and Consular Immunity
2.2 Extraterritoriality
3 Common Mistakes
3.1 What an Embassy Does and Does Not Need
3.2 As for Consulates...
4 RPing Embassies and Consulates
4.1 Establishing Diplomatic Missions
4.2 An Alternate Approach to Establishing Embassies
4.3 Using Your Diplomatic Missions to RP

Embassies, Consulates, and the Difference

Embassies and consulates are both types of diplomatic missions. Diplomatic missions are a way for governments to communicate with each other and remain in touch with foreign governments, foreign citizens (public diplomacy) and their own citizens abroad.

The embassy in the centerpiece of the diplomatic campaign from one nation to another. By definition, it is located in the capital city or governmental center so if you're currently offering embassies in a variety of cities– stop. Embassies are run by ambassadors, who are the highest-ranking diplomats that your nation will be sending abroad. The ambassador's job, quite simply, is to represent your government's opinions to the host government. Generally, the embassy will also perform consular roles in the capital city.

Technically, there are two kinds of consulates: consulates-general and plain old consulates. In practice, there is no real difference and the terms only serve to distinguish a consulate located in a major city (e.g., LA or New York in the United States) from one located in a less important one. Consulates-general are headed by consuls-general rather than regular consuls. As you may have guessed by now, consulates are located in non-capital cities where there may be high concentrations of foreign nationals. Generally, this means that consulates are located in major tourism cities. This makes sense because the primary role of a consulate is to help out the represented nation's citizens while they are in the host nation. Consulates do things such as issue visas, replace lost passports, assist foreign nationals who have been arrested and promote trade between the represented nation and the host nation.

To summarize, there are two primary, functional difference between an embassy and a consulate: embassies are in the host nation's capital and conduct both traditional diplomacy and consular business while consulates are located in cities other than the capital and primarily promote trade and work with the represented nation's citizens while they are in the host nation.

EDIT: As Van Luxemburg pointed out to me, consulate-generals sometimes act as the centerpiece of the diplomatic campaign when the host nation is particularly insignificant. VL gave the example of the Netherlands' Honorary Consulate in Azerbaijan which replaces an actual embassy.

International and Diplomatic Law

Diplomatic and Consular Immunity

As I mentioned earlier, NS does not have any formal, international agreements that control diplomatic immunity or any other aspect of diplomacy. However, it is still wise to offer diplomatic immunity because 1) it allows you to demand it from other nations and 2) people won't be so nervous about establishing an embassy in your country. It is also wise, of course, to steer clear of embassy programs where diplomatic immunity is not offered because there is nothing stopping the host nation from arresting your ambassador on false charges and holding him indefinitely.

So, we've established that diplomatic immunity is a good thing, but what exactly is it? Let's take a look at US policies on diplomatic immunity...

SubjectMay be arrested or detainedResidence may be entered subject to ordinary proceduresMay be issued traffic ticketMay be subpoenaed as witnessMay be prosecuted
Ambassador or equivalentNoNoYesNoNo
Member of embassy administrative or technical staffNoNoYesNoNo
Member of embassy service staffYesYesYesYesNo for official acts. Otherwise, yes
Career consular officersYes, if for a felony and pursuant to a warrant.YesYesNo, for official acts. Testimony may not be compelled in any case.No for official acts. Otherwise, yes
Honorary consular officersYesYesYesNo, for official acts. Yes, in all other casesNo for official acts. Otherwise, yes
Consular employeesYesYesYesNo, for official acts. Yes, in all other casesNo for official acts. Otherwise, yes

As I said, this table is of real world policies in the United States which are in line with standard diplomatic immunity conventions. Since there are no standards for this kind of stuff in the NS world, this is only a rough guide.

Even though diplomats are protected from prosecution, it doesn't mean that they're totally invincible if they commit a crime. If your nation has a substantial case against someone with diplomatic immunity, you can ask their home state to waive that immunity. If their government does so, you can prosecute them like any other person. If immunity is not waived, you can't take legal action against them but you can declare the offender a persona non grata and expel them from the country. This is not the same as expelling the actual mission.

Extraterritoriality

First off, just say "extraterritoriality" a couple times; it's fun.

Anyway, this is another one of those areas that's pretty sketchy in NS because we have no formalized conventions about how it is handled. In the real world, embassies and consulates are still legally on the soil of the host nation (i.e., they are not the sovereign territory of the native nation) but the host nation's laws generally do not apply. The host nation's authorities also cannot enter the chancery without permission; this sometimes creates sticky situations where a fugitive or refugee will flee into an embassy. How you handle these situations, if they ever arise, is up to you.

Common Mistakes

What an Embassy Needs and Does Not Need

On NS, embassies can get kinda kooky so let's look at some common trouble spots.
[float=right]Image[/float]
1. Embassies need security, but not too much. An ambassador is a pretty important person and you need to protect him the course of his official duties. The embassy as a whole is a symbol of your nation abroad and you probably don't want any misfortune to befall it. To keep your ambassador and the embassy safe, you need security, in the form of armed guards. However, you don't need an army to defend the embassy. A handful of soldiers with fairly light weapons (pistols, submachine guns and sometimes assault rifles) is really all you need to keep troublemakers away from your embassy.

Your security forces should never be used to try to fight off the host nation's authorities because, let's face it, that's a losing battle and it will only land you in a world of hurt. Since you won't be fighting national forces, you sure as hell don't need the kind of weapons that you would use against them. Leave the machine guns, sniper rifles and, for the love of god, the missile launchers at home. They have no place with a diplomatic mission.

2. Embassies need a chancery, but not a fortress. A chancery is the physical space that an embassy (the diplomatic mission) operates out of. In the real world, chanceries come in all shapes in sizes and the international influence of the native nation generally dictates the size of the embassy and of the chancery. While a RL superpower such as the USA may have a walled compound as a chancery, most nations don't have anything nearly as grand. If you've every been to Washington DC, perhaps you've seen the streets of rowhouses that act as chanceries for many smaller nations. In NS, most of us are Trinidad and Tobagos, so it isn't really realistic to assign anything larger than a house to anyone but truly powerful nations, close allies and nations with special security needs.

3. Embassies need a staff, but not an army of bureaucrats. As I said above, the number of personnel assigned to a diplomatic mission is generally linked to the influence of the represented nation. A global power will have a much larger staff than a drop in the bucket. I will take this opportunity to remind you that you (and I) are a drop in the bucket. Unless you anticipate needing to conduct a lot of diplomatic business, you can probably make do with less than a dozen staffers.

4. Embassies need transportation, but not a tank brigade. Remember when I told you to cool it with the heavy weapons? The same thing applies with vehicles. You do not need APCs, IFVs, tanks or even military light armored vehicles (e.g., humvees). Your ambassador is also not your head of state: He doesn't need a Rolls Royce or a stretch limo. In fact, if you do give him a stretch limo, you'll probably induce panic attacks among the security staff.

Armored cars (not the kind that valuables are transported in) are, of course, perfectly permissible. After all, ambassadors are worth protecting and an armored BMW doesn't quite say "I'm a militant wacko" like an APC does. I would recommend a couple nicer sedans or SUVs for use by the ambassador and diplomatic staff and a couple SUVs for use by security personnel. Unless you really don't think it's necessary, these vehicles should probably be armored. If you don't feel that your ambassador would be safe with only these precautions, maybe you should rethink establishing an embassy in that specific country.

Helicopters can be used if you want and if the host nation permits it. Of course, you don't need an attack helicopter or anything really huge like a Chinook. For the most part, this helicopter should serve as another way for your ambassador to travel, so you really just need something from a civilian line.

As for Consulates...

I'm not going to do a whole big list for consulates because, honestly, they're not a big deal. Many consulates are located in office buildings and even colleges and universities. Consular staff will generally drive their own personal cars (but with diplomatic plates) and the security staff will be very small and lightly armed if it exists at all. So, if your consulates are located in gated compounds with a fleet of armored vehicles and are guarded by soldiers with assault rifles, something is seriously wrong.

RPing Embassies and Consulates

Establishing Diplomatic Missions

If you've ever looked through Factbooks and National Information (the fact that you're reading this suggests that you have), you will have noticed the many embassy programs. Now, to be honest, most of this are pretty awful: They might post a couple lines of introduction, then they'll give an application form and when people apply, they'll simply respond with "Approved." This is no way to be conducting diplomacy.

First off, you should say a little bit about your nation just so people know what they're getting into. Secondly (this is important and often overlooked), you need to give your nation's policies on diplomatic immunity and extraterritoriality. If I'm applying for an embassy, I want to know if you can barge into my embassy and arrest my ambassador whenever you want. You also need to discuss your policies on staff (can people send 100 staffers or just ten?), security (are fifty guards with machine guns alright?) and transportation (how would you feel if someone wanted to send a dozen cars and three Blackhawks?). You should also note any local laws or intolerances that may be important.

You should also provide a list or description of the locations available. If you're feeling ambitious, you could map them out. Remember, not every nation needs a giant chancery.

Of course, you also need the actual application form. Here's the form I use for my embassy program. I would appreciate it if you didn't steal it, but I have a feeling that some people will anyway.

National Information:
- Full Name of Nation:
- Government Type:
- Head of State:
- Head of Government:
- Minister of Foreign Affairs or Equivalent:

Ambassadorial Information:
- Ambassador's Name:
- Ambassador's Family (if any):
- Are there any health of security issues local authorities should be alerted of?

Locational Information:

Please place any special requests in the "Second Choice Location" field and justify them in the field directly below it. Please make only realistic requests and be prepared to pay any fees associated with the design, construction or maintenance of special requests.
- First Choice Location:
- Second Choice Location:
- If requesting an embassy in the hills or making a special request, why do you feel this is necessary?

Staff and Equipment Information:

Please remember, limousines, armed/military vehicles, machine guns, explosives, riot gear and armor-piercing weapons are prohibited. We ask that you limit employment based on the guidelines above.
- Diplomatic Staff:
- Security Staff:
- Service Staff:
- Will you be hiring locally?
- Number and Type of Weapons:
- Number and Type of Vehicles:

Miscellaneous:
- Would you like us to establish an embassy in your nation?
- Do you have any special requests?
- Would you like to enter into trade/treaty talks?
- Is there any additional information we should know?
- Please declare any drugs, alcohol, animals or plants you are bringing into the country.

After people have applied and you have accepted them, you should add them to a running list of diplomatic missions in your country.

An Alternate Approach to Establishing Embassies

As Valipac pointed out, you don't necessarily have to RP the establishment of an diplomatic mission in an embassy program thread. In the real world, just about every nation has an embassy with just about every other. While, in the NS world, this may not be possible because there are so many nations, it's certainly safe to assume that you have more embassies both within your nation and abroad than your actual post archive would suggest. To quote Valipac directly, "some nations choose not to participate in embassy exchange threads, but rather assume that all nations have traded embassies with them." If you want to take this approach with some or all nations, it's certainly alright. However, if you want to use a diplomatic mission that you did not RP establishing, you should TG the host nation first just to make sure that they're alright with it.

Using Your Diplomatic Missions to RP

Many people, after establishing an embassy, don't do anything with it. There's nothing horribly wrong with this as, after all, you won't have business to conduct with every nation that you establish an embassy with. However, embassies are more fun if you do something with them. Options range from the nice and elegant (dinner parties, balls) to the more action-packed (hostage situations, terrorist attacks). In any diplomatic crisis, you shouldn't forget your embassies; closing one down is a great way to show that you're displeased.
Last edited by Zinaire on Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:24 am, edited 5 times in total.
THE REPUBLIC OF ZINAIRE
LAND OF TROPICAL PROMISE

Factbook | Embassies | ODECON | Tarquinia

Zinaire
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Re: [OOC] The New Guide to Embassies and Consulates

Postby Zinaire » Sun Aug 30, 2009 11:35 am

Bump
THE REPUBLIC OF ZINAIRE
LAND OF TROPICAL PROMISE

Ruccola
Envoy

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Ruccola » Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:52 am

This should be stickified in one way or another. Although I must admit that I don't completely adhere to all of the guidelines laid out above, I find it quite silly how many embassy threads offer locations outside the relevant national capital. It's not as though people have trouble getting others to formally recognise their capitals as such (take the case of Israel, for example).
Last edited by Ruccola on Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Republic of Ruccola
Factbook - Maredoratica

Zinaire
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Zinaire » Mon Aug 31, 2009 2:18 am

Ruccola wrote:This should be stickified in one way or another. Although I must admit that I don't completely adhere to all of the guidelines laid out above, I find it quite silly how many embassy threads offer locations outside the relevant national capital. It's not as though people have trouble getting others to formally recognise their capitals as such (take the case of Israel, for example).

To be honest, I don't either, but writing this made me think about some ways that I can improve my own diplomatic practices. And yes, the weird embassies-not-in-the-capital deal is a really simple thing that annoys me to no end.'

Anyway, glad you like the guide and I've submitted it for stickfication.
THE REPUBLIC OF ZINAIRE
LAND OF TROPICAL PROMISE

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:38 am

Nice work!

Re the principle of 'dimplomatic immunity', there is -- at least for WA members -- this...
I realise that some players who have their nations as WA members for 'gameplay' purposes don't actually acknowldege the fact (and follow its resolutions) in their RP too, but there's no actual rule to say that they mustn't/can't do so...
Last edited by Bears Armed on Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:41 am, edited 3 times in total.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Zinaire
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Zinaire » Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:35 pm

Bears Armed wrote:Nice work!

Re the principle of 'dimplomatic immunity', there is -- at least for WA members -- this...
I realise that some players who have their nations as WA members for 'gameplay' purposes don't actually acknowldege the fact (and follow its resolutions) in their RP too, but there's no actual rule to say that they mustn't/can't do so...

Yeah, since pretty much no one RPs participation in the WA (or at least no one who's at all respected), I certainly don't think that should be considered an actual requirement (as you said) but it seems solid and it is certainly something else that people can look at when forming their own policies on diplomatic immunity.

Anyway, thanks for the tip and I'm glad you liked the guide.
THE REPUBLIC OF ZINAIRE
LAND OF TROPICAL PROMISE

The State of Monavia
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 27, 2006
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby The State of Monavia » Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:38 pm

I concur with Ruccola about the quality of this thread. The Moderators should pin it at the top of this board.
Last edited by The State of Monavia on Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
——✠ ✠——THE IMPERIAL FEDERATION OF THE MONAVIAN EMPIRE——✠ ✠——
FACTBOOKS AND LOREROLEPLAY CANONDIPLOMATIC EXCHANGE

MY GUIDES ON ROLEPLAYING DIPLOMACY, ROLEPLAY ETIQUETTE, CREATING A NEW NATION,
LEARNING HOW TO ROLEPLAY (FORTHCOMING), AND ROLEPLAYING EVIL (PART ONE)

Seventeen-Year Veteran of NationStates ∙ Retired N&I Roleplay Mentor
Member of the NS Writing Project and the Roleplayers Union
I am a classical monarchist Orthodox Christian from Phoenix, Arizona.

✠ᴥ✠ᴥ✠

/‾‾ʽʼ‾‾\

Euroslavia
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Euroslavia » Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:21 pm

Stumbled on this while going through the question and answer threads. Very informative thread, and an awesome job at putting this together.

iSticky!
BRAVE ENOUGH

BRAVE ENOUGH

BRAVE ENOUGH

Stoklomolvi
Minister

Founded: May 02, 2007
New York Times Democracy

Re: The New Guide to Embassies and Consulates

Postby Stoklomolvi » Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:25 pm

I would say that my own embassy thread, however detailed it may be, is a perfect example of what not to do. But there's the bonus of NS; diplomatic immunity can be waived for whatever reasons. I mean, attempting to kill an ambassador for smoking a cigarette is probably not something most countries would want to do.
Demonym: Stoklomolvi
Stoklomolvi Liaoist Federation
Factbook -- Interpol -- Liaoism (old) -- News Agency (old) -- Commerce Comissariat -- Minyang
Defensive Preparedness: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
Nuclear Launch Protocol: А | Б | В | Г | Д
Leader: Commissar Vladimir Mikhailovich Stuyonovich

Zinaire
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Zinaire » Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:29 pm

Stoklomolvi wrote:I would say that my own embassy thread, however detailed it may be, is a perfect example of what not to do. But there's the bonus of NS; diplomatic immunity can be waived for whatever reasons. I mean, attempting to kill an ambassador for smoking a cigarette is probably not something most countries would want to do.

Yeah, your program is an example of excellent depth and formatting but it's kind of a travesty of policy. I'm not quite sure what you're saying about the ability to waive diplomatic immunity though.
Last edited by Zinaire on Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
THE REPUBLIC OF ZINAIRE
LAND OF TROPICAL PROMISE

Stoklomolvi
Minister

New York Times Democracy

Postby Stoklomolvi » Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:35 pm

Simply that: you can waive diplomatic immunity. I don't even grant diplomatic immunity, only the assurance that the lack of breaches of the law would mean the lack of punishment. If, say (to pick a random large country) Beddgelert decided that it found a foreign ambassador doing something it did not want him/her to be doing, Beddgelert has the ability to waive that ambassador's diplomatic immunity (if any) and execute him/her (if desired). Not saying that it will be done, of course; I'm only saying that there's the ability.

I'm probably going to reform my embassy charter soon, though.
Factbook -- Interpol -- Liaoism (old) -- News Agency (old) -- Commerce Comissariat -- Minyang

Zinaire
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Zinaire » Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:39 pm

Stoklomolvi wrote:Simply that: you can waive diplomatic immunity. I don't even grant diplomatic immunity, only the assurance that the lack of breaches of the law would mean the lack of punishment. If, say (to pick a random large country) Beddgelert decided that it found a foreign ambassador doing something it did not want him/her to be doing, Beddgelert has the ability to waive that ambassador's diplomatic immunity (if any) and execute him/her (if desired). Not saying that it will be done, of course; I'm only saying that there's the ability.

If diplomatic immunity is actually granted then it can't be waived by the host nation whenever they feel like it. Only the represented nation can waive one of their diplomat's immunity. If you do something less formal (like you do), then you should really be quite explicit in the lack of protection that it offers.
THE REPUBLIC OF ZINAIRE
LAND OF TROPICAL PROMISE

Euroslavia
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Euroslavia » Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:39 pm

Stoklomolvi wrote:Simply that: you can waive diplomatic immunity. I don't even grant diplomatic immunity, only the assurance that the lack of breaches of the law would mean the lack of punishment. If, say (to pick a random large country) Beddgelert decided that it found a foreign ambassador doing something it did not want him/her to be doing, Beddgelert has the ability to waive that ambassador's diplomatic immunity (if any) and execute him/her (if desired). Not saying that it will be done, of course; I'm only saying that there's the ability.

I'm probably going to reform my embassy charter soon, though.

It's my understanding that the example given is just a sample of what you could decide when it comes to diplomatic immunity, and should not be taken as a "It needs to be this, and nothing else". I can think of a few nations that waive diplomatic immunity entirely as well.

Edit: Those nations usually offer a contract for those diplomats to read and sign, in order to understand that diplomatic immunity does not exist.
Last edited by Euroslavia on Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BRAVE ENOUGH

BRAVE ENOUGH

BRAVE ENOUGH

Maraque
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 22, 2004
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Maraque » Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:45 pm

This is simply brilliant. I will be using this as a guide when I create my embassy thread.

Stoklomolvi
Minister

New York Times Democracy

Postby Stoklomolvi » Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:45 pm

Rule by the fist is the law around here; de jure means far less than de facto. However unfortunate may be, this is simply the case.

Basically, as Euroslavia here said.

Zinaire
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Zinaire » Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:49 pm

Maraque wrote:This is simply brilliant. I will be using this as a guide when I create my embassy thread.

Thanks, I'm glad I'll be influencing at least one program.

Stoklomolvi wrote:Rule by the fist is the law around here; de jure means far less than de facto. However unfortunate may be, this is simply the case.

Basically, as Euroslavia here said.

And that's why we're pulling our embassy out of your nation. Well, that and that we don't trust you.
THE REPUBLIC OF ZINAIRE
LAND OF TROPICAL PROMISE

Stoklomolvi
Minister

New York Times Democracy

Postby Stoklomolvi » Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:58 pm

Fair enough, although I hope this IC animosity does not extend to OOC at all.

Derscon
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Derscon » Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:02 pm

The embassy in the centerpiece of the diplomatic campaign from one nation to another. By definition, it is located in the capital city or governmental center so if you're currently offering embassies in a variety of cities– stop. Embassies are run by ambassadors, who are the highest-ranking diplomats that your nation will be sending abroad. The ambassador's job, quite simply, is to represent your government's opinions to the host government. Generally, the embassy will also perform consular roles in the capital city.

This really only applies if you have a real capital. Derscon, for instance, doesn't have a legit capital, so embassies are scattered about the various star systems. However, we're a special case, probably, what with Indra Prime and Balrogga probably being the only ones that fuck with spacetime more than I do. <________________________<

Also, diplomatic immunity is really only necessary when you have a lot of absurd laws. The more libertarian the nation, the less necessary it is. Derscon, for instance, has no special protections for foreigners of official status, but it is also almost impossible for one of them to commit a crime, what with there being so few.

Just some other points for those plotting out your policies.
NationStates remains an excellent educational tool for children. It can teach you exactly just how far people will go to gain extrajudicially what they could never gain legitimately. ~ Questers
And congratulations to Derscon, who has finally codified the exact basis on which NS issues work. ~ Ardchoille

瞞天過海

Zinaire
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Zinaire » Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:15 pm

Derscon wrote:This really only applies if you have a real capital. Derscon, for instance, doesn't have a legit capital, so embassies are scattered about the various star systems. However, we're a special case, probably, what with Indra Prime and Balrogga probably being the only ones that fuck with spacetime more than I do. <________________________<

This is an MT guide. I really have no interest in how diplomacy would work in FT.

Derscon wrote:Also, diplomatic immunity is really only necessary when you have a lot of absurd laws. The more libertarian the nation, the less necessary it is. Derscon, for instance, has no special protections for foreigners of official status, but it is also almost impossible for one of them to commit a crime, what with there being so few.

This isn't true at all. Diplomatic immunity isn't to prevent diplomats from accidentally breaking a law, it's to prevent the host nation from taking out aggression towards the represented nation by falsifying charges against a member of an embassy. Even if the only illegal act in your nation is eating goat cheese while sitting on a giant blow-up sea turtle, there's nothing to prevent you from falsely claiming that the ambassador did so. Except diplomatic immunity, that is, and that's why it's important.
THE REPUBLIC OF ZINAIRE
LAND OF TROPICAL PROMISE

Derscon
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Derscon » Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:57 am

Zinaire wrote:
Derscon wrote:This really only applies if you have a real capital. Derscon, for instance, doesn't have a legit capital, so embassies are scattered about the various star systems. However, we're a special case, probably, what with Indra Prime and Balrogga probably being the only ones that fuck with spacetime more than I do. <________________________<

This is an MT guide. I really have no interest in how diplomacy would work in FT.

Well, you should have said that. -_-

Derscon wrote:Also, diplomatic immunity is really only necessary when you have a lot of absurd laws. The more libertarian the nation, the less necessary it is. Derscon, for instance, has no special protections for foreigners of official status, but it is also almost impossible for one of them to commit a crime, what with there being so few.

This isn't true at all. Diplomatic immunity isn't to prevent diplomats from accidentally breaking a law, it's to prevent the host nation from taking out aggression towards the represented nation by falsifying charges against a member of an embassy. Even if the only illegal act in your nation is eating goat cheese while sitting on a giant blow-up sea turtle, there's nothing to prevent you from falsely claiming that the ambassador did so. Except diplomatic immunity, that is, and that's why it's important.

Except if a nation was so bold as to do that, then they would start dicking with you with or without diplomatic immunity. DI just is a sign of mistrust. Besides, the more libertarian the nation, the less likely it is that the government would do that, so the point still stands. ;)
Last edited by Derscon on Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
NationStates remains an excellent educational tool for children. It can teach you exactly just how far people will go to gain extrajudicially what they could never gain legitimately. ~ Questers
And congratulations to Derscon, who has finally codified the exact basis on which NS issues work. ~ Ardchoille

瞞天過海

Zinaire
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Zinaire » Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:18 am

Derscon wrote:Well, you should have said that. -_-

Here are some hints that it's MT:

1. I mentioned RL nations
2. I referenced only MT technology
3. I only do MT
And here's the kicker,
4. I mentioned realism. I already know you FT types don't care about that, so why bother?

Derscon wrote:Except if a nation was so bold as to do that, then they would start dicking with you with or without diplomatic immunity. DI just is a sign of mistrust. Besides, the more libertarian the nation, the less likely it is that the government would do that, so the point still stands. ;)

Here's the difference, if you have no diplomatic immunity and they do that and you react (enact sanctions, withdraw diplomatic missions, even declare war), you look psychotic. If you have diplomatic immunity, you are simply enforcing international law and you're within your rights to respond as if they were holding one of your citizens captive.

Also, there's a very fine line between distrust and caution. DI is caution. If you feel it's not necessary, just waive it. However, I can assure you, there's a reason that no RL country would so much as think about establishing an embassy somewhere where they couldn't get diplomatic immunity.
THE REPUBLIC OF ZINAIRE
LAND OF TROPICAL PROMISE

Korintar
Minister

Founded: Nov 19, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Korintar » Sat Sep 12, 2009 4:53 pm

Would it be considered good form to set up embassies in different cities if a country has more than one capital city? For example Korintar has three national capitals because of the size of the legislative branch. Thus could it be permitted to establish embassies in any of those three cities, or should only one of them house the embassies?
Factbook, Q&A; Nat'l Standards Warning: Agreeing to RP with me assumes an acceptance of Any-Tech Rping and/or the use of dragons in Warfare unless we come to an agreement beforehand.
Jolt Veteran. (-6.00,-.31), (-7.25,1.08) (economic, social)
'So.... a complete disregard for societal norms is.... communist? If that's true, then sign me up.'- Lunatic Goofballs
'If you're taking White Castle hanburgers rectally, you're really doing that wrong. They go in the other end of the alimentary system.'-Farnhamia
'Space Mussolini! Go, go, go!'- TSS @ GWO
Reppy's PG opinion of Jolt
The Gidgetisms: Go no fuck? The Parkus Empire: As in, go, go Gadget no fuck.
Oterro: International incidents->"New Thread"->[Thread title]->[Thread OP]->War->GWO intervention

Zinaire
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Zinaire » Sat Sep 12, 2009 4:58 pm

Korintar wrote:Would it be considered good form to set up embassies in different cities if a country has more than one capital city? For example Korintar has three national capitals because of the size of the legislative branch. Thus could it be permitted to establish embassies in any of those three cities, or should only one of them house the embassies?

As far as I'm concerned, that's kind of like asking "would it be considered good form to have the armor on my MT mechas be impenetrable?" By the point that you have mechas in MT or three capital cities, you're already far gone enough that the minutia, such as where embassies will be established, doesn't really matter.
THE REPUBLIC OF ZINAIRE
LAND OF TROPICAL PROMISE

Korintar
Minister

Founded: Nov 19, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Korintar » Sat Sep 12, 2009 5:12 pm

Zinaire wrote:
Korintar wrote:Would it be considered good form to set up embassies in different cities if a country has more than one capital city? For example Korintar has three national capitals because of the size of the legislative branch. Thus could it be permitted to establish embassies in any of those three cities, or should only one of them house the embassies?

As far as I'm concerned, that's kind of like asking "would it be considered good form to have the armor on my MT mechas be impenetrable?" By the point that you have mechas in MT or three capital cities, you're already far gone enough that the minutia, such as where embassies will be established, doesn't really matter.

Just was wondering. I know RL South Africa has three capitals and I am wondering if anybody has an idea of how things are done there- to make things more realistic. I did not think it was that stupid of a question actually, because I already know the answer to the hypothetical question... there are no mechas allowed in MT. If anybody has advice concerning this matter, please TG me.
Factbook, Q&A; Nat'l Standards Warning: Agreeing to RP with me assumes an acceptance of Any-Tech Rping and/or the use of dragons in Warfare unless we come to an agreement beforehand.
Jolt Veteran. (-6.00,-.31), (-7.25,1.08) (economic, social)
'So.... a complete disregard for societal norms is.... communist? If that's true, then sign me up.'- Lunatic Goofballs
'If you're taking White Castle hanburgers rectally, you're really doing that wrong. They go in the other end of the alimentary system.'-Farnhamia
'Space Mussolini! Go, go, go!'- TSS @ GWO
Reppy's PG opinion of Jolt
The Gidgetisms: Go no fuck? The Parkus Empire: As in, go, go Gadget no fuck.
Oterro: International incidents->"New Thread"->[Thread title]->[Thread OP]->War->GWO intervention

Zinaire
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Zinaire » Sat Sep 12, 2009 5:25 pm

Korintar wrote:
Zinaire wrote:

Just was wondering. I know RL South Africa has three capitals and I am wondering if anybody has an idea of how things are done there- to make things more realistic. I did not think it was that stupid of a question actually, because I already know the answer to the hypothetical question... there are no mechas allowed in MT. If anybody has advice concerning this matter, please TG me.

I was actually not aware that South Africa has three capitals, I apologize. Is your set-up like theirs where each branch has its own capital?
THE REPUBLIC OF ZINAIRE
LAND OF TROPICAL PROMISE

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Factbooks and National Information