NATION

PASSWORD

Your Nation's Main Battle Tank [Part 2]

A place to put national factbooks, embassy exchanges, and other information regarding the nations of the world. [In character]
Indeos
Post Marshal

Founded: Feb 07, 2010
Ex-Nation

Your Nation's Main Battle Tank [Part 2]

Postby Indeos » Mon May 09, 2011 6:46 pm

[Split from viewtopic.php?f=23&t=2761 due to thread size and forum issues]

This is the tank thread, not a helicopter one, guys. I eventually need to start adopting tanks/IFVs/SPAs/what have you, any suggestions for that stuff?
Last edited by Frisbeeteria on Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Come listen to my mate at http://stressfactor.co.uk/new2007/home.html every Thursday, 5-6pm EST!
Or http://kraftyradio.com/ every Sunday, 6-7pm EST!
Or check out his SoundCloud(Free Music DL): http://soundcloud.com/sergeant-sheep
And for some cool art and electronics' skins(different friend): http://thesk.in/
‎"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster, and if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
Dear Jenrak - Give cancer the banhammer!
Serious Name: The Imperial Fiefdoms of Indeos
NSG: Proud Honorary Son of the Sea Queen Of Connaught
Long Live The Community! Long Live Max!

Licana
Post Marshal

Founded: Jul 26, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Licana » Mon May 09, 2011 6:47 pm

Indeos wrote:This is the tank thread, not a helicopter one, guys. I eventually need to start adopting tanks/IFVs/SPAs/what have you, any suggestions for that stuff?

NS or IRL?

For SPA, could go XM2001 for lolexpensive glory and great justice.
Last edited by Licana on Mon May 09, 2011 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
>American education
[19:21] <Lubyak> I want to go and wank all over him.
Puzikas wrote:Gulf War One was like Slapstick: The War. Except, you know, up to 40,000 people died.

Vitaphone Racing wrote:Never in all my years have I seen someone actually quote the dictionary and still get the definition wrong.

Husseinarti wrote:
Vitaphone Racing wrote:Do lets. I really want to hear another explanation about dirty vaginas keeping women out of combat, despite the vagina being a self-cleaning organ.

So was the M-16.

Senestrum wrote:How are KEPs cowardly? Surely the "real man" would in fact be the one firing giant rods of nuclear waste at speeds best described as "hilarious".

United Districts of 1
Minister

Founded: Aug 14, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby United Districts of 1 » Mon May 09, 2011 6:47 pm

Indeos wrote:This is the tank thread, not a helicopter one, guys. I eventually need to start adopting tanks/IFVs/SPAs/what have you, any suggestions for that stuff?

I have a good radar truck :p
Please refer to me as The Kyoto Trade Union at all times in IC
All that is required for evil to succeed is for good men to do nothing.
Lenehen wrote:
Wamitoria wrote:Getting 90% of his military killed during an unnecessary, botched invasion of Russia?

Exactly! He killed a lot of frenchmen- something any englishman should aspire to!
My name in cat= Aknò:ziˑn rnckxx zeˑx

Saurisisia
Post Czar

Founded: Jan 28, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Saurisisia » Mon May 09, 2011 6:48 pm

Yeah, obviously. :P
Autistic, Christian, Capitalist, Libertarian
Don't wish to display my sexuality for all to see because I don't care about what sexuality someone is
Make Tea, Not Love
Proud Yankee Monarchist
DA Account
https://dragcave.net/user/Bellumsaur13
Things in our country run in spite of government, not by aid of it. - Will Rogers
This nation reflects my RL beliefs and values (for the most part, anyway)
P/MT: The United Provinces of Saurisia
FT: The Federal Systems Republic of Saurisia
MT FT Embassy
ANTHRO AND A MEMBER OF THE MULTI-SPECIES UNION!

My nation's dominated by talking Dinosaurs, there is no realism (because ultra-realism is SO boring)
Dinosaurs rule!
I am Scaly and I am proud!

Indeos
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Indeos » Mon May 09, 2011 6:50 pm

Licana wrote:

NS or IRL?

Either one will work. NS would probably be better quality but if I go RL I can just claim it's domestic.
Come listen to my mate at http://stressfactor.co.uk/new2007/home.html every Thursday, 5-6pm EST!
Or check out his SoundCloud(Free Music DL): http://soundcloud.com/sergeant-sheep
And for some cool art and electronics' skins(different friend): http://thesk.in/
‎"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster, and if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."

Galla-
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 18, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Galla- » Mon May 09, 2011 6:50 pm

Licana wrote:
Galla- wrote:No, its role was more akin to the OH-58 Kiowa Warrior.

In fact, it was the same exact role. Armed reconnaissance.

I suppose Kiowa is a better fit, however, AH-6 is a light attack/recon helicopter, not terribly far from the Comanche's intended role, correct?

OH-6 Loach is an artillery observation helicopter, and was usually unarmed iirc.

AH-6 is a Special Operations helicopter gunship.
Hello humans. I am Sporekin, specifically a European Umber-Brown Puffball (or more formally, Lycoperdon umbrinum). Ask me anything.
Fashiontopia wrote:Look don't come here talking bad about Americans, that will get you cussed out faster than relativity.

Besides: Most posters in this thread are Americans, and others who are non-Americans have no problems co-existing so shut that trap...

New Nicksyllvania - Unjustly Deleted 6/14/11

Licana
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Licana » Mon May 09, 2011 6:54 pm

Indeos wrote:
Licana wrote:NS or IRL?

Either one will work. NS would probably be better quality but if I go RL I can just claim it's domestic.

tbh, XM2001 is probably just as good (if not, better) than most NS SPH systems.

As for MBT, you could go with one of Lyras's LY series, if you aren't making your own, I'd say that you should browse GE&T. Same with IFVs, do some looking around, see what would be the best fit for your terrain/tactics/other important thing.
>American education
Puzikas wrote:Gulf War One was like Slapstick: The War. Except, you know, up to 40,000 people died.

Vitaphone Racing wrote:Never in all my years have I seen someone actually quote the dictionary and still get the definition wrong.

Husseinarti wrote:
Vitaphone Racing wrote:Do lets. I really want to hear another explanation about dirty vaginas keeping women out of combat, despite the vagina being a self-cleaning organ.

So was the M-16.

Senestrum wrote:How are KEPs cowardly? Surely the "real man" would in fact be the one firing giant rods of nuclear waste at speeds best described as "hilarious".

Saurisisia
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Saurisisia » Mon May 09, 2011 6:56 pm

XM2001? What the hell is that? I tried searching for it, all I get is results for the XM2001 Crusader.
Don't wish to display my sexuality for all to see because I don't care about what sexuality someone is
Make Tea, Not Love
Proud Yankee Monarchist
DA Account
Things in our country run in spite of government, not by aid of it. - Will Rogers
MT FT Embassy

My nation's dominated by talking Dinosaurs, there is no realism (because ultra-realism is SO boring)
Dinosaurs rule!

Licana
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Licana » Mon May 09, 2011 6:57 pm

Saurisisia wrote:XM2001? What the hell is that? I tried searching for it, all I get is results for the XM2001 Crusader.

That's exactly what the XM2001 is. It's the only one I know of.
>American education

Husseinarti wrote:

So was the M-16.

Indeos
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Indeos » Mon May 09, 2011 6:58 pm

Licana wrote:
Indeos wrote:

tbh, XM2001 is probably just as good (if not, better) than most NS SPH systems.

As for MBT, you could go with one of Lyras's LY series, if you aren't making your own, I'd say that you should browse GE&T. Same with IFVs, do some looking around, see what would be the best fit for your terrain/tactics/other important thing.

I'll probably go XM2001 for SPA, unless I find something better. I don't really want to go Lyran because of the amount of Lyran-equipped nations, and ICly Indeos is trying not to be dependent on foreign military supplies.

@Saur: That is what it is...derp?

Radictistan
Minister

Founded: Nov 21, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Radictistan » Mon May 09, 2011 7:00 pm

Does anyone have any criticisms of my tank a few pages back? I want to at least have my dimensions right before I start vainly attempting to draw something. I think I might be able to add a little more armor with the weight I've got, but I'm not sure how much.

Saurisisia
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Saurisisia » Mon May 09, 2011 7:01 pm

Ah, I thought Lic recommended an XM2001 for an IFV, my bad.
Make Tea, Not Love
Proud Yankee Monarchist
DA Account
MT FT Embassy

Dinosaurs rule!

Licana
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Licana » Mon May 09, 2011 7:02 pm

Indeos wrote:
Licana wrote:tbh, XM2001 is probably just as good (if not, better) than most NS SPH systems.

I'll probably go XM2001 for SPA, unless I find something better. I don't really want to go Lyran because of the amount of Lyran-equipped nations, and ICly Indeos is trying not to be dependent on foreign military supplies.

Some good IRL options, from my knowledge, are the Leo2A6+, Challenger 2, and Leclerc. K1A1 and big brother K2 are also really good, too.

For added lulz, you could go 140mm main gun on the Leo2 or Leclerc.
Last edited by Licana on Mon May 09, 2011 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
>American education

Husseinarti wrote:

So was the M-16.

The Corparation
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 31, 2009
Father Knows Best State

Postby The Corparation » Mon May 09, 2011 7:02 pm

Bellganamos wrote:IIRC, Comanche and Apache were supposed to work together. The Comanche would laze targets and Apache would go after 'em.

This. Comanche was to be the Tonto to go with the Apache's Lone Ranger.
Nuclear Death Machines Here (Both Flying and Orbiting)
Orbital Freedom Machine Here
A Subsidiary company of Nightkill Enterprises Inc.Weekly words of wisdom: Nothing is more important than waifus.- Gallia-
Making the Nightmare End 2020 2024 WARNING: This post contains chemicals known to the State of CA to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm. - Prop 65, CA Health & Safety This Cell is intentionally blank.

Indeos
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Indeos » Mon May 09, 2011 7:04 pm

Licana wrote:
Indeos wrote:

Some good IRL options, from my knowledge, are the Leo2A6+, Challenger 2, and Leclerc.

For added lulz, you could go 140mm main gun on the Leo2 or Leclerc.

140mm main gun is pretty much necessity in NSworld. If I knew more about tanks I'd try to make something up myself but as-is I can't be arsed to look at stats to find some averages. Especially not to post on here, since it'll all be wrong/approximations.

Anastasia Romanova (Ancient)
Attaché

Founded: May 08, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Anastasia Romanova (Ancient) » Mon May 09, 2011 7:06 pm

Radictistan wrote:Does anyone have any criticisms of my tank a few pages back? I want to at least have my dimensions right before I start vainly attempting to draw something. I think I might be able to add a little more armor with the weight I've got, but I'm not sure how much.

I couldn't find it. Could you repost it?
Сон с богом, маленькой Анастазией.
Name: Free Lands of Anastasia Romanova
Motto: “Ex vengeance adveho pacis”
Animal: Wyvern
Charter:

Radictistan
Minister

Postby Radictistan » Mon May 09, 2011 7:10 pm

Radictistan wrote:I was thinking that this summer during my spare time (if I have any) I could try making a PT tank in order to try and teach myself to do some lineart. Does anyone have any objections to this draft writeup? It's basically a slightly enlarged AMC 35.

T-8 Cavalry Tank (1939)

Weight: 16,500 kg
Length: 4.94m
Width: 2.36m
Height: 2.31m
Crew: 3 (Commander, Loader, Driver)
Armor: 8-32 mm
Primary Armament: 47mm/L40 M1935
Secondary Armament: coaxial 7.62mm machine gun
Power: 200 hp (Petrol)
Power/Weight: 8.9 W/Kg
Range: 200 km
Speed: 40 km/h

In 1936 the Royal Radictistan Army issued a requirement for a new light tank, in order to replace the standard T-7, which mounted a 37mm gun and 23mm of armor. The requirement called for a vehicle of about sixteen tonnes mounting the 47mm M1935 anti-tank gun which had been well received by infantry anti-tank units. Both Radictistan Automotive Works and its principal military competitor, the Brightburger Foundry, delivered prototypes for consideration in the summer of 1937. After extensive trials the Brightburger design was selected by the cavalry and designated T-8. The tank's introduction into service was delayed until the spring of 1939 in order to allow for the development of a hydraulic traverse system for the turret. The T-8 was protected by a maximum of 32mm of rolled homogenous steel armor on the turret face and glacis. The protection level tapered to a mere 8mm in the rear. The cast turret carried both the commander and loader. The tank commander was responsible for aiming and firing the gun in addition to commanding the vehicle. Three hundred and forty T-8s were manufactured up until July 1941. The chassis was also used for the ZT-1 tank destroyer.

Things I can think of:

1) Longer gun?
2) More armor on current chassis?

Minnysota
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 21, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Minnysota » Mon May 09, 2011 7:13 pm

Read up on the Leclerc 2015 too. If you want, I can try and find a short summary of it for you (I found it a while back).
Minnysota - Unjustly Deleted

Licana
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Licana » Mon May 09, 2011 7:15 pm

Radictistan wrote:
I was thinking that this summer during my spare time (if I have any) I could try making a PT tank in order to try and teach myself to do some lineart. Does anyone have any objections to this draft writeup? It's basically a slightly enlarged AMC 35.

T-8 Cavalry Tank (1939)

In 1936 the Royal Radictistan Army issued a requirement for a new light tank, in order to replace the standard T-7, which mounted a 37mm gun and 23mm of armor. The requirement called for a vehicle of about sixteen tonnes mounting the 47mm M1935 anti-tank gun which had been well received by infantry anti-tank units. Both Radictistan Automotive Works and its principal military competitor, the Brightburger Foundry, delivered prototypes for consideration in the summer of 1937. After extensive trials the Brightburger design was selected by the cavalry and designated T-8. The tank's introduction into service was delayed until the spring of 1939 in order to allow for the development of a hydraulic traverse system for the turret. The T-8 was protected by a maximum of 32mm of rolled homogenous steel armor on the turret face and glacis. The protection level tapered to a mere 8mm in the rear. The cast turret carried both the commander and loader. The tank commander was responsible for aiming and firing the gun in addition to commanding the vehicle. Three hundred and forty T-8s were manufactured up until July 1941. The chassis was also used for the ZT-1 tank destroyer.

Maybe a tad small, but not terribly so. No loader for your cannon?

If your going for a TD, you might want to make the barrel a tad longer, but it's not terribly short for the time and the role. IIRC, the Somua S35 had a 47mm L27, so you should be more than good.
Last edited by Licana on Mon May 09, 2011 7:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
>American education

Husseinarti wrote:

So was the M-16.

United Districts of 1
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby United Districts of 1 » Mon May 09, 2011 7:17 pm

Anastasia Romanova wrote:OOC: Okay, newfag moment here, could someone enlighten me as to the abbreviations

FT
MT
PMT

Ft=Future tech
MT= Modern tech
PMT= Post-modern tech as in endwar.
Lenehen wrote:
Wamitoria wrote:Getting 90% of his military killed during an unnecessary, botched invasion of Russia?

Exactly! He killed a lot of frenchmen- something any englishman should aspire to!

Minnysota
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 21, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Minnysota » Mon May 09, 2011 7:18 pm

Here is the link; however, you will need to scroll down to the Leclerc 2015 your self, as I don't know how to direct the link to that section specifically.

e: the link got cut out by a highlight...

http://www.axlbox.de/SITEFORUM?i=122346 ... 6PliA5zd6A
Last edited by Minnysota on Mon May 09, 2011 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Minnysota - Unjustly Deleted

Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Anastasia Romanova (Ancient) » Mon May 09, 2011 7:18 pm

Radictistan wrote:
Radictistan wrote:I was thinking that this summer during my spare time (if I have any) I could try making a PT tank in order to try and teach myself to do some lineart. Does anyone have any objections to this draft writeup? It's basically a slightly enlarged AMC 35.

T-8 Cavalry Tank (1939)

Things I can think of:

1) Longer gun?
2) More armor on current chassis?

Needs reactive armor.
Charter:

Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Anastasia Romanova (Ancient) » Mon May 09, 2011 7:19 pm

United Districts of 1 wrote:
Anastasia Romanova wrote:OOC: Okay, newfag moment here, could someone enlighten me as to the abbreviations

FT
MT
PMT

Ft=Future tech
MT= Modern tech
PMT= Post-modern tech as in endwar.

Ah, thank you.
Charter:

Radictistan
Minister

Postby Radictistan » Mon May 09, 2011 7:19 pm

If it had a three-man turret it would be too good, methinks. IIRC, no one had both a commander/gunner/loader setup until the Panzer III. I based the dimensions off the AMC 35 mostly, but you're right it could possibly stand to be a bit larger considering the extra armor.

United Districts of 1
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby United Districts of 1 » Mon May 09, 2011 7:19 pm

Coming soon Dm-50 Cascade MBT
Lenehen wrote:

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Factbooks and National Information