NATION

PASSWORD

Your Nation's Main Battle Tank (No Mechs) [Part 1]

A place to put national factbooks, embassy exchanges, and other information regarding the nations of the world. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Sciox
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 24, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Sciox » Mon May 09, 2011 3:22 am

Yohannes wrote:
Samozaryadnyastan wrote:It just seems to be a very short chassis with a short gun barrel.

Isn't Merkava designed and was conceptualised to be used within Israel specially, and was conceptualised so as to maximise its potential within the condition of Israel's terrain.

I am under the impression that if Merkava is used elsewhere, it would not be as effecive than if its used in a terrain similar to Israel's terrain, whereas one cannot yield too much a ground to the respective opposing force.

Or perhaps i am wrong..

We had this kind of discussion a few pages back. The Merkava is utterly fantastic when deployed by the Israeli's against Israel's enemies as they currently stand and will continue to stand for the foreseeable future. When employed by most RL nations and nearly all NS nation's though the Merkava becomes starts to be outmatched by it's opponents.

The Merkava is far from the perfect tank, but it is the perfect tank for the IDF.
Travda wrote:We had a recent incident where our WA Representative pulled out a shotgun in the Assembly's chamber. Foreign Minister Karakov was...unprepared for meeting Artorrios o SouthWoods, the Chairbear of the Bears Armed Mission to the WA . Karakov, seeing the ursine delegate for the first time, mistook him for an actual bear. So he did what any person would do when confronted with a bear in the middle of an international meeting; he tried to shoot him.

Lucky for all of us, Karakov is a lousy shot.

North Defese wrote:The soldier, being a patriot, would spontaniously explode from being touched by filthy foreigners.

Vist Scion Defense. For all your weapons needs

United States of PA
Senator

Founded: Apr 01, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby United States of PA » Mon May 09, 2011 12:53 pm

@ Above: Until they go back to war with the Syrians, Egyptians, or Jordanians. Theres a reason they keep those ultra upgraded M60s sitting around

@Crusader: What everyone else has said, Crusader was epic, if expensive. RoF was hilarious, and as long as you kept a constant supply of coolant, could do that all day.

As to the XM297: I had no clue that used a Laser Ignition System, wow.

Also, Crusaders RoF is the highest i have ever seen for a weapon of that size., 12 rpm for as long as you have coolant, that is fucking insane, Pzh 2000 can sustain that for less than a minute. One Crusader is more or less equal to multiple Pzh 2000s in terms of overall effectiveness.
In other words, conservatives are generous with their own money, and liberals are generous with other peoples money.
"I object and take exception to everyone saying that Obama and Congress are spending money like a drunken sailor. As a former drunken sailor, I quit when I ran out of money." ~ Unknown
"See, it doesn't matter how many people you have, how old your civilization is, or any such tripe. We're still the by-God US of A and we will seriously bitch slap you so hard your ancestors going back millenia will feel it if you piss us off."

Wamitoria
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 28, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Wamitoria » Mon May 09, 2011 2:43 pm

Valcluse wrote:
Wamitoria wrote:(Image)

Or the EE-T1.

Perhaps. But here's a couple of problems.

1. Either gun (105mm L7 or 120mm GIAT) were manually loaded.
2. The protection and armour was considered inferior to western MBT's at the time.

So unless you plan on upgrading these things (as my other nation is), their only real use is scaring the enemy.

1. Not that big of a problem.
2. Still beats most of the T-72s and T-90s that are used by 45% of NS.
Wonder where all the good posters went? Look no further!

Hurry, before the Summer Nazis show up again!

United Districts of 1
Minister

Founded: Aug 14, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby United Districts of 1 » Mon May 09, 2011 2:51 pm

I was thinking of developing a vehicle completely devoted to cutting down infantry. Anybody got suggestions?
Please refer to me as The Kyoto Trade Union at all times in IC
All that is required for evil to succeed is for good men to do nothing.
Lenehen wrote:
Wamitoria wrote:Getting 90% of his military killed during an unnecessary, botched invasion of Russia?

Exactly! He killed a lot of frenchmen- something any englishman should aspire to!
My name in cat= Aknò:ziˑn rnckxx zeˑx

United States of PA
Senator

Founded: Apr 01, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby United States of PA » Mon May 09, 2011 2:52 pm

M109PIM
In other words, conservatives are generous with their own money, and liberals are generous with other peoples money.
"I object and take exception to everyone saying that Obama and Congress are spending money like a drunken sailor. As a former drunken sailor, I quit when I ran out of money." ~ Unknown
"See, it doesn't matter how many people you have, how old your civilization is, or any such tripe. We're still the by-God US of A and we will seriously bitch slap you so hard your ancestors going back millenia will feel it if you piss us off."

Wamitoria
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 28, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Wamitoria » Mon May 09, 2011 2:55 pm

United Districts of 1 wrote:I was thinking of developing a vehicle completely devoted to cutting down infantry. Anybody got suggestions?

I don't know what it should look like, but it needs twin 40mm cannons in it's turret, a coaxial flamethrower, and a MGL mounted somewhere.

If you can also manage to stick a couple AA missiles on it, do it.
Wonder where all the good posters went? Look no further!

Hurry, before the Summer Nazis show up again!

Tierra Prime
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 07, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Tierra Prime » Mon May 09, 2011 2:57 pm

What do you guys think of this for a Super Heavy Tank <FT.>?

Combat Class: Super Heavy Tank
Number in Service: Unknown <I haven't decided yet.>
Length: 40.0 Metres
Width: 24.0 Metres
Height: 22.7 Metres
Weight: 1,000 Tonnes
Crew: 10 <1 Driver, 1 Commander, 6 Gunners & 2 Mechanics.>
Engines: x4 Electric Engines
Armour: 300mm Triniarum Composite Armour <Front.> 180mm <Sides.> 90mm <Back.>
Defensive Systems: Electronic Jamming Device <Also a laser warning system.> Smoke Dispenser
Sights: Polax Multipurpose Sight <Includes thermal and infra red modes.>
Shield Rating: Heavy <Equipped with 2 shield generators.>
Power Supply: 1x Cronite Reactor
Armament: x2 180mm Railguns
1x 90mm Railgun
2x 88mm Flak Cannons
3x 50mm Machine Railguns
1x Drone Launcher <Carries 8 drones.>
Maximum Speed: 40 Km/h
Maximum Operational Range: 250 Kilometres

The IMS-1 Devastator Super Heavy Tank is a class of Super Heavy Tank in service with the Imperial Army. The Devastator tank is armed with two very powerful 180mm Railguns, a large amount of smaller railguns, two flak cannons, and a drone pod which can launch guided drones. The class is protected by Triniarum Composite Armour, which is very hard to penetrate, and two shield generators. Further protection includes a powerful electronic jamming device, which can disrupt enemy lock on, laser and guidance systems, and a smoke dispenser, which can mask the tank from view.

The Devastator class represents a new approach by Tierran designers that emphasises both firepower, and protection, over speed. While heavy, the Devastator is not slower than the best of its opponents. However, with over one thousand metric tons of dead weight, suspensions, gearboxes and other such items the tank has clearly reached it's design limits, meaning breakdowns are frequent in the field.

Although the general design and layout is broadly similar to the previous Super Heavy tank, the now retired Tiger, the Devastator weighs more than twice as much. This is due to its substantially thicker armour, stronger Shield, larger weapons, and more solidly-built transmission and suspension.

The Devastator classes great amount of fire-power and protection has earned it a fierce reputation, entire enemy forces have been known to surrender upon seeing only one of them. Devastator tanks are regularly used as short range transports due to their excellent protection, so much that they include a space on the top of their turret where troops may sit down. Some where converted to full transports in 2715, creating the IMS-2 Devastator Super Heavy Transport, these where quickly withdrawn from service though, as they proved too slow to act as full fledged transports. Each Devastator tank is powered by one cronite reactor, which keeps it's electric engines charged. This reactor can last for quite a long time without a refuelling, this gives the Devastator a very large operation range. It is very slow however, due to it's massive size.
Last edited by Tierra Prime on Mon May 09, 2011 3:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

United Districts of 1
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby United Districts of 1 » Mon May 09, 2011 2:58 pm

Tierra Prime wrote:What do you guys think of this for a Super Heavy Tank <FT.>?

(Image)

Length: 50.0 Metres
Defensive Systems: Electronic Jamming Device <Also a laser warning system.> Smoke Dispenser
1x 90mm Railgun
2x 88mm Flak Cannons
3x 50mm Machine Railguns
Maximum Speed: 20 Km/h

The IMS-1 Devastator Super Heavy Tank is a class of Super Heavy Tank in service with the Imperial Army. The Devastator tank is armed with two very powerful 180mm Railguns, a large amount of smaller railguns, two flak cannons, and a drone pod which can launch guided drones. The class is protected by Triniarum Composite Armour, which is very hard to penetrate, and two shield generators. Further protection includes a powerful electronic jamming device, which can disrupt enemy lock on, laser and guidance systems, and a smoke dispenser, which can mask the tank from view.

The Devastator class represents a new approach by Tierran designers that emphasises both firepower, and protection, over speed. While heavy, the Devastator is not slower than the best of its opponents. However, with over one hundred and twenty metric tons of dead weight, suspensions, gearboxes and other such items the tank has clearly reached it's design limits, meaning breakdowns are frequent in the field.

Although the general design and layout is broadly similar to the previous Super Heavy tank, the now retired Tiger, the Devastator weighs more than twice as much. This is due to its substantially thicker armour, stronger Shield, larger weapons, and more solidly-built transmission and suspension.

The Devastator classes great amount of fire-power and protection has earned it a fierce reputation, entire enemy forces have been known to surrender upon seeing only one of them. Devastator tanks are regularly used as short range transports due to their excellent protection, so much that they include a space on the top of their turret where troops may sit down. Some where converted to full transports in 2715, creating the IMS-2 Devastator Super Heavy Transport, these where quickly withdrawn from service though, as they proved too slow to act as full fledged transports. Each Devastator tank is powered by one cronite reactor, which keeps it's electric engines charged. This reactor can last for quite a long time without a refuelling, this gives the Devastator a very large operation range. It is very slow however, due to it's massive size.

=PWND by orbital strike or in atmosphere fighter
Lenehen wrote:
Wamitoria wrote:Getting 90% of his military killed during an unnecessary, botched invasion of Russia?

Exactly! He killed a lot of frenchmen- something any englishman should aspire to!

Tierra Prime
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Tierra Prime » Mon May 09, 2011 3:10 pm

I agree with the orbital strike, that would kill it. The fighter would have some trouble against it's flak railguns and guided drones though I think.

Inutoland
Minister

Founded: Jun 07, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Inutoland » Mon May 09, 2011 3:11 pm

United Districts of 1 wrote:

(Image)

Length: 50.0 Metres
1x 90mm Railgun
2x 88mm Flak Cannons
3x 50mm Machine Railguns
Maximum Speed: 20 Km/h

The Devastator class represents a new approach by Tierran designers that emphasises both firepower, and protection, over speed. While heavy, the Devastator is not slower than the best of its opponents. However, with over one hundred and twenty metric tons of dead weight, suspensions, gearboxes and other such items the tank has clearly reached it's design limits, meaning breakdowns are frequent in the field.

=PWND by orbital strike or in atmosphere fighter

Nah. Ripped to shreds by all of the uber-tank-geeks that hang out in this thread because it's a double-barreled failmonster. You Have Been Warned.
Note: Our NS page is not entirely accurate. Please use the Factbook.
Embassy Program (MT) | MT Factbook | Culture Test (MT) | FT Factbook
Economic Left/Right: -3.50 | Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -1.95

If you want to abbreviate my nation's name, I prefer "Inu"

United Districts of 1
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby United Districts of 1 » Mon May 09, 2011 3:13 pm

Tierra Prime wrote:I agree with the orbital strike, that would kill it. The fighter would have some trouble against it's flak railguns and guided drones though I think.

Or the fighter fires off a missile guided by an orbital drone and turns around before it's even in scanner range.
Lenehen wrote:

Minnysota
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 21, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Minnysota » Mon May 09, 2011 3:18 pm

Tierra Prime wrote:I agree with the orbital strike, that would kill it. The fighter would have some trouble against it's flak railguns and guided drones though I think.

Fighters and stealth strike aircraft could probably rip that thing to shreds. The fighters could launch from a farther out distance and then fly out of range of your defenses. The stealth strike fighters could just pop in and drop bombs or missiles on the thing.
Minnysota - Unjustly Deleted

United Districts of 1
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby United Districts of 1 » Mon May 09, 2011 3:33 pm

Minnysota wrote:

Fighters and stealth strike aircraft could probably rip that thing to shreds. The fighters could launch from a farther out distance and then fly out of range of your defenses. The stealth strike fighters could just pop in and drop bombs or missiles on the thing.

And why? when you could build a frigate for the same price?
Lenehen wrote:

Licana
Post Marshal

Founded: Jul 26, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Licana » Mon May 09, 2011 3:55 pm

(Image)

1x 90mm Railgun
2x 88mm Flak Cannons
3x 50mm Machine Railguns

The Devastator class represents a new approach by Tierran designers that emphasises both firepower, and protection, over speed. While heavy, the Devastator is not slower than the best of its opponents. However, with over one thousand metric tons of dead weight, suspensions, gearboxes and other such items the tank has clearly reached it's design limits, meaning breakdowns are frequent in the field.

Oh god, why are you using 180mm railguns? Why are you using dual railguns? Also, you explain next to nothing in your write-up, instead using pure technobable/wank (which I suppose is acceptable for FT, so really, no further critique).
Last edited by Licana on Mon May 09, 2011 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
>American education
[19:21] <Lubyak> I want to go and wank all over him.
Puzikas wrote:Gulf War One was like Slapstick: The War. Except, you know, up to 40,000 people died.

Vitaphone Racing wrote:Never in all my years have I seen someone actually quote the dictionary and still get the definition wrong.

Husseinarti wrote:
Vitaphone Racing wrote:Do lets. I really want to hear another explanation about dirty vaginas keeping women out of combat, despite the vagina being a self-cleaning organ.

So was the M-16.

Senestrum wrote:How are KEPs cowardly? Surely the "real man" would in fact be the one firing giant rods of nuclear waste at speeds best described as "hilarious".

Radictistan
Minister

Founded: Nov 21, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Radictistan » Mon May 09, 2011 4:02 pm

I was thinking that this summer during my spare time (if I have any) I could try making a PT tank in order to try and teach myself to do some lineart. Does anyone have any objections to this draft writeup? It's basically a slightly enlarged AMC 35.

T-8 Cavalry Tank (1939)

Weight: 16,500 kg
Length: 4.94m
Width: 2.36m
Height: 2.31m
Crew: 3 (Commander, Loader, Driver)
Armor: 8-32 mm
Primary Armament: 47mm/L40 M1935
Secondary Armament: coaxial 7.62mm machine gun
Power: 200 hp (Petrol)
Power/Weight: 8.9 W/Kg
Range: 200 km
Speed: 40 km/h

In 1936 the Royal Radictistan Army issued a requirement for a new light tank, in order to replace the standard T-7, which mounted a 37mm gun and 23mm of armor. The requirement called for a vehicle of about sixteen tonnes mounting the 47mm M1935 anti-tank gun which had been well received by infantry anti-tank units. Both Radictistan Automotive Works and its principal military competitor, the Brightburger Foundry, delivered prototypes for consideration in the summer of 1937. After extensive trials the Brightburger design was selected by the cavalry and designated T-8. The tank's introduction into service was delayed until the spring of 1939 in order to allow for the development of a hydraulic traverse system for the turret. The T-8 was protected by a maximum of 32mm of rolled homogenous steel armor on the turret face and glacis. The protection level tapered to a mere 8mm in the rear. The cast turret carried both the commander and loader. The tank commander was responsible for aiming and firing the gun in addition to commanding the vehicle. Three hundred and forty T-8s were manufactured up until July 1941. The chassis was also used for the ZT-1 tank destroyer.
Last edited by Radictistan on Mon May 09, 2011 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tierra Prime
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Tierra Prime » Mon May 09, 2011 4:05 pm

Licana wrote:

(Image)

1x 90mm Railgun
2x 88mm Flak Cannons
3x 50mm Machine Railguns

Oh god, why are you using 180mm railguns? Why are you using dual railguns? Also, you explain next to nothing in your write-up, instead using pure technobable/wank (which I suppose is acceptable for FT, so really, no further critique).

what's wrong with 180mm? Dual guns are cool. It's a first draft, there's not meant to much there, and how is it wank? I can get the technobabble bit though, I didn't explain Cronite <Basically a nuclear reactor.> or Triniarum <Super steel.> at all.

Bellganamos
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 15, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Bellganamos » Mon May 09, 2011 4:08 pm

Tierra Prime wrote:
Licana wrote:Oh god, why are you using 180mm railguns? Why are you using dual railguns? Also, you explain next to nothing in your write-up, instead using pure technobable/wank (which I suppose is acceptable for FT, so really, no further critique).

what's wrong with 180mm? Dual guns are cool. It's a first draft, there's not meant to much there, and how is it wank? I can get the technobabble bit though, I didn't explain Cronite <Basically a nuclear reactor.> or Triniarum <Super steel.> at all.

A tank with a nuclear reactor?
00:34 Minn: I suddenly fear Bell now.

Tierra Prime
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Tierra Prime » Mon May 09, 2011 4:14 pm

Bellganamos wrote:
Tierra Prime wrote:what's wrong with 180mm? Dual guns are cool. It's a first draft, there's not meant to much there, and how is it wank? I can get the technobabble bit though, I didn't explain Cronite <Basically a nuclear reactor.> or Triniarum <Super steel.> at all.

A tank with a nuclear reactor?

A very, very small reactor. It tends to explode when the tank is seriously damaged.... That's the Devestator's main draw back.

Licana
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Licana » Mon May 09, 2011 4:15 pm

Tierra Prime wrote:
Licana wrote:Oh god, why are you using 180mm railguns? Why are you using dual railguns? Also, you explain next to nothing in your write-up, instead using pure technobable/wank (which I suppose is acceptable for FT, so really, no further critique).

Railguns don't get "moar bettar" with larger calibers. A 90mm railgun will probably do the same job as a 180mm just as well while not eating up your ammunition stores. Dual anything on something not designed for volume-of-fire isn't terribly good, either. Even without the recoil produced by a conventional gun, a dual railgun system would still take up space (which could be used for additional secondary armament for fending off pesky infantry/aircraft/aircraft infantry, or ammunition storage, or to give the crew a minifridge, something useful) and probably wouldn't eat up as much energy, either (allowing you to direct more of it to something that isn't wasteful). Also, you may want to explain such things in your write up, so that they don't come off as made up words that allow you to make an infeasible design work.
>American education
Puzikas wrote:Gulf War One was like Slapstick: The War. Except, you know, up to 40,000 people died.

Vitaphone Racing wrote:Never in all my years have I seen someone actually quote the dictionary and still get the definition wrong.

Husseinarti wrote:
Vitaphone Racing wrote:Do lets. I really want to hear another explanation about dirty vaginas keeping women out of combat, despite the vagina being a self-cleaning organ.

So was the M-16.

Senestrum wrote:How are KEPs cowardly? Surely the "real man" would in fact be the one firing giant rods of nuclear waste at speeds best described as "hilarious".

Tierra Prime
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Tierra Prime » Mon May 09, 2011 4:21 pm

Licana wrote:
Tierra Prime wrote:what's wrong with 180mm? Dual guns are cool. It's a first draft, there's not meant to much there, and how is it wank? I can get the technobabble bit though, I didn't explain Cronite <Basically a nuclear reactor.> or Triniarum <Super steel.> at all.

Railguns don't get "moar bettar" with larger calibers. A 90mm railgun will probably do the same job as a 180mm just as well while not eating up your ammunition stores. Dual anything on something not designed for volume-of-fire isn't terribly good, either. Even without the recoil produced by a conventional gun, a dual railgun system would still take up space (which could be used for additional secondary armament for fending off pesky infantry/aircraft/aircraft infantry, or ammunition storage, or to give the crew a minifridge, something useful) and probably wouldn't eat up as much energy, either (allowing you to direct more of it to something that isn't wasteful). Also, you may want to explain such things in your write up, so that they don't come off as made up words that allow you to make an infeasible design work.

To be honest, I don't have a clue about how calibers work, I put in 180mm because it sounded cool, same with the dual guns, they sounded cool too.

Senestrum
Senator

Founded: Sep 15, 2007
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Senestrum » Mon May 09, 2011 4:23 pm

Small nuclear reactors have terrible power/weight ratios. Just go with a massive turbine or a lawlhueg diesel.
Need help with lineart or technical drawings? Want comments and critique? Or do you just want to show off?
If so, join Lineartinc today, Nationstates' only lineart community!
We welcome people of any skill level, from first-timers to veteran artists.

Licana
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Licana » Mon May 09, 2011 4:24 pm

Tierra Prime wrote:To be honest, I don't have a clue about how calibers work, I put in 180mm because it sounded cool, same with the dual guns, they sounded cool too.

Unfortunately, these over-the-top "cool" things tend to be completely useless.
Last edited by Licana on Mon May 09, 2011 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
>American education

Husseinarti wrote:

So was the M-16.

Sol Bella
Diplomat

Founded: May 07, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Sol Bella » Mon May 09, 2011 4:29 pm

Sol Bella's main battle tank, being a former Spanish dependent nation and thus having similar organization, use the Leopard 2E http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leopard_2E
A Spanish-speaking, First World, Pseudo-African nation that has only been in FT for two years after advancing past the PMT tech level with a single space colony. Significant Pony minority. The nation is known for its export of energy and information technology services, and is known among its nearby neighbors in Africa for providing the finest scientific materials and personnel in the region.

Proud 5th Member of the Coalition of Ponyists States, 1st Protector Nation

Anastasia Romanova (Ancient)
Attaché

Founded: May 08, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Anastasia Romanova (Ancient) » Mon May 09, 2011 4:31 pm

We call her X-9.
ARMAMENTS:
TWO 105 Howitzer cannons(Bottom),
TWO 25mm Vulcan auto-cannons(Middle),
TWO 'Meteorshower' anti armor missile clusters(Top),
ONE MOAB guided cruise missile(Very Top, Rear)
DEFENSE:
Absolute Territory Defense Field
CREW:
ONE Pilot
ONE AT Field coordinator.

We've only ever lost one, and it was captured. Fortunately we reclaimed it before the enemy could figure out the controls.
Last edited by Anastasia Romanova (Ancient) on Mon May 09, 2011 6:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Сон с богом, маленькой Анастазией.
Name: Free Lands of Anastasia Romanova
Motto: “Ex vengeance adveho pacis”
Animal: Wyvern
Charter:

Freeland Tibet
Secretary

Founded: Apr 01, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Freeland Tibet » Mon May 09, 2011 4:33 pm

Due to our tiny, low funded defense force, the Sherman is our MBT of choice.
The Glorious Heavenly Lhamate of Freeland Tibet
57th Lhama Incarnation: Jhue Ma-Roo
RP Population: 346 Million

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Factbooks and National Information