NATION

PASSWORD

NS opinion on mod ignorance?

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.

Advertisement

Remove ads

User avatar
Kryozerkia
Retired Moderator
 
Posts: 11096
Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Re: NS opinion on mod ignorance?

Postby Kryozerkia » Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:24 pm

Let's keep this on topic. Buccaneers FC wants to convince us that nations should be able to rename themselves. Off-topic arguing won't help. Try the other way: on topic about renaming.
Problem to Report?
Game-side: Getting Help
Forum-side: Moderation
Technical issue/suggestion: Technical
A-well-a, don't you know about the bird
♦ Well, everybody knows that the bird is the word ♦
♦ A-well-a, bird, bird, b-bird's the word

Get the cheese to Sickbay

"Ok folks, show's over... Nothing to see here... Show's OH MY GOD! A horrible plane crash! Hey everybody, get a load of this flaming wreckage! Come on, crowd around, crowd around, don't be shy, crowd around!" -- Chief Wiggum

User avatar
RhynoD
Chargé d'Affaires
 
Posts: 490
Founded: Nov 11, 2004
Ex-Nation

Re: NS opinion on mod ignorance?

Postby RhynoD » Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:25 pm

Yootopia wrote:
Georgetpwn wrote:
Yootopia wrote:I don't think you linked to the thing you meant in the first place to link to.


i meant to link that. so you can see how mods can ignore players, with tragic results.

I can't honestly see how Dumb Ideologies leaving due to a couple of mods' views on what counts as obscene equates particularly well with "why won't the mods allow us to pick new names?".

I believe the point is that the mods are seen as choosing ridiculous things to prosecute while allowing obscenities and overt bigotry. Act like a fucktard all you want, but don't you dare say something off-topic or the thread gets locked.
So a horse walks into a bar and the bartender says, "Hey, why the long face?"
Former top poster and First President of the Social Spam Alliance.
Sarkhaan wrote:This. And just about everything else RhynoD said.

User avatar
Buccaneers FC
Chargé d'Affaires
 
Posts: 494
Founded: Aug 23, 2009
Ex-Nation

Re: NS opinion on mod ignorance?

Postby Buccaneers FC » Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:25 pm

More evidence:
Linky
The Weegies said:
Dear God, imagine a date with Bluth Corporation:

Date: "Do you mind paying, or do you want to split the bill?"
Bluth Corporation: YOU ARE INFRINGING UPON MY UNIVERSE-DERIVED OBJECTIVE INDIVIDUALITY! MY PERSONAL SOVEREIGNTY, TAKEN FROM COMPLETELY CORRECT AND OBSERVABLE FIRST PRINCIPLES HAS BEEN VIOLATED! YOU ARE IMPOSING SOCIETAL NORMS UPON ME WHICH I REJECT AS ILLEGITIMATE! A IS A! A IS A!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Date: So... split it, then?

User avatar
Daistallia 2104
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 7848
Founded: Jan 14, 2004
Ex-Nation

Re: NS opinion on mod ignorance?

Postby Daistallia 2104 » Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:25 pm

Georgetpwn wrote:i support chaning nation names.


Name changes are not going to happen.

Mods, can you change my nation name for me?
First off, this is a Mod Forum question, for all that I see it in Tech, secondly, no, they can not. They used to be, but it caused all kinds of problems so that [violet] disabled it.

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=286

Georgetpwn wrote:btw, i know this will be locked for speaking against mod policy. or something to that effect.


Not for that reason, although it may be for other reasons.

Georgetpwn wrote:if they wanted new ideas, they want it from them or someone they think will propose a good idea.


See this thread viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5913? You're free to psot to it, and so is everyone else.

Georgetpwn wrote:so far, any improvements to the WA, banning raiding, and other suggestions such as this, have been ignored due to lack of interest on the mod part.


There have been some very significant changes to the WA lately (the SC and all thaty goes with that). Raiding's not going to get banned, and frankly shouldn't be (even though I dislike it).
NSWiki|HP
Stupidity is like nuclear power; it can be used for good or evil, and you don't want to get any on you. - Scott Adams
Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness. - Terry Pratchett
Sometimes the smallest softest voice carries the grand biggest solutions
How our economy really works.
Obama is a conservative, not a liberal, and certainly not a socialist.

User avatar
Georgetpwn
Diplomat
 
Posts: 664
Founded: Sep 18, 2008
Ex-Nation

Re: NS opinion on mod ignorance?

Postby Georgetpwn » Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:26 pm

RhynoD wrote:I believe the point is that the mods are seen as choosing ridiculous things to prosecute while allowing obscenities and overt bigotry. Act like a fucktard all you want, but don't you dare say something off-topic or the thread gets locked.


^this.
The Republic of Hobbes City (exiled), exists within Georgetpwn
DEFCON 5 4 3 2 1
Defense Minister of Novus Licentia Terra
The Republic of Hobbes City, composed of:
The Hobbes City Holding State of Georgetpwn
The People's Republic of M1 Helmet
The Protectorate of The Republic of Lanos
The Colony of Suvree
The Pacific Territory of Ferdinando Marcos

User avatar
RhynoD
Chargé d'Affaires
 
Posts: 490
Founded: Nov 11, 2004
Ex-Nation

Re: NS opinion on mod ignorance?

Postby RhynoD » Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:28 pm

Kryozerkia wrote:Let's keep this on topic. Buccaneers FC wants to convince us that nations should be able to rename themselves. Off-topic arguing won't help. Try the other way: on topic about renaming.


Legitimate in-game reason for allowing name changes, provided the application of such a system is practical:
Actual real-world nations change names all the time. Why shouldn't the NS system reflect that? No, NS is not trying to actually be a perfect real-world analog. But it would make for more interesting gameplay (and isn't NS really about the gameplay?)
So a horse walks into a bar and the bartender says, "Hey, why the long face?"
Former top poster and First President of the Social Spam Alliance.
Sarkhaan wrote:This. And just about everything else RhynoD said.

User avatar
Yootopia
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 8410
Founded: Dec 28, 2005
Ex-Nation

Re: NS opinion on mod ignorance?

Postby Yootopia » Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:29 pm

RhynoD wrote:I believe the point is that the mods are seen as choosing ridiculous things to prosecute while allowing obscenities and overt bigotry. Act like a fucktard all you want, but don't you dare say something off-topic or the thread gets locked.

Err aye but how is that relevant to this discussion?
End the Modigarchy now.

User avatar
Yootopia
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 8410
Founded: Dec 28, 2005
Ex-Nation

Re: NS opinion on mod ignorance?

Postby Yootopia » Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:30 pm

RhynoD wrote:
Kryozerkia wrote:Let's keep this on topic. Buccaneers FC wants to convince us that nations should be able to rename themselves. Off-topic arguing won't help. Try the other way: on topic about renaming.


Legitimate in-game reason for allowing name changes, provided the application of such a system is practical:
Actual real-world nations change names all the time. Why shouldn't the NS system reflect that? No, NS is not trying to actually be a perfect real-world analog. But it would make for more interesting gameplay (and isn't NS really about the gameplay?)

Would it not just lead to serious DISREGARD THAT I SUCK COCKS syndrome?
End the Modigarchy now.

User avatar
Buccaneers FC
Chargé d'Affaires
 
Posts: 494
Founded: Aug 23, 2009
Ex-Nation

Re: NS opinion on mod ignorance?

Postby Buccaneers FC » Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:30 pm

Behold... THE VERY THREAD THAT STARTED THIS WHOLE DISCUSSION! Also, gotta log off after this post, so I'll see ya sometime later.
Linky
The Weegies said:
Dear God, imagine a date with Bluth Corporation:

Date: "Do you mind paying, or do you want to split the bill?"
Bluth Corporation: YOU ARE INFRINGING UPON MY UNIVERSE-DERIVED OBJECTIVE INDIVIDUALITY! MY PERSONAL SOVEREIGNTY, TAKEN FROM COMPLETELY CORRECT AND OBSERVABLE FIRST PRINCIPLES HAS BEEN VIOLATED! YOU ARE IMPOSING SOCIETAL NORMS UPON ME WHICH I REJECT AS ILLEGITIMATE! A IS A! A IS A!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Date: So... split it, then?

User avatar
Hawkryl
Spokesperson
 
Posts: 120
Founded: Aug 04, 2009
Ex-Nation

Re: NS opinion on mod ignorance?

Postby Hawkryl » Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:32 pm

Mad hatters in jeans wrote:how do you ignore something and denounce it at the same time?
:meh:



When you ignore it, you're denouncing it by saying it's not worth your time.
710000 in the Wolves.
355000 in the Sharks.
213000 in the Raptors.
142000 in the Wolverines.
142000000 in the Armed Forces.

pop: 142,000,000
Economic strength: Very Strong
GDP: S$15,361.95
Tax rate: 45%

User avatar
RhynoD
Chargé d'Affaires
 
Posts: 490
Founded: Nov 11, 2004
Ex-Nation

Re: NS opinion on mod ignorance?

Postby RhynoD » Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:35 pm

Yootopia wrote:
RhynoD wrote:
Kryozerkia wrote:Let's keep this on topic. Buccaneers FC wants to convince us that nations should be able to rename themselves. Off-topic arguing won't help. Try the other way: on topic about renaming.


Legitimate in-game reason for allowing name changes, provided the application of such a system is practical:
Actual real-world nations change names all the time. Why shouldn't the NS system reflect that? No, NS is not trying to actually be a perfect real-world analog. But it would make for more interesting gameplay (and isn't NS really about the gameplay?)

Would it not just lead to serious DISREGARD THAT I SUCK COCKS syndrome?

Can you get away with a nation name like that when you create your nation in the first place?
So a horse walks into a bar and the bartender says, "Hey, why the long face?"
Former top poster and First President of the Social Spam Alliance.
Sarkhaan wrote:This. And just about everything else RhynoD said.

User avatar
Georgetpwn
Diplomat
 
Posts: 664
Founded: Sep 18, 2008
Ex-Nation

Re: NS opinion on mod ignorance?

Postby Georgetpwn » Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:35 pm

No.
The Republic of Hobbes City (exiled), exists within Georgetpwn
DEFCON 5 4 3 2 1
Defense Minister of Novus Licentia Terra
The Republic of Hobbes City, composed of:
The Hobbes City Holding State of Georgetpwn
The People's Republic of M1 Helmet
The Protectorate of The Republic of Lanos
The Colony of Suvree
The Pacific Territory of Ferdinando Marcos

User avatar
Daistallia 2104
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 7848
Founded: Jan 14, 2004
Ex-Nation

Re: NS opinion on mod ignorance?

Postby Daistallia 2104 » Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:39 pm

Note that I put in what I understood your original suggestion to be (or if it wasn't, a suggestion yours inspired).

And here's a fuller explanation of why actual names won't be changed:

No it doesn't. The site's architecture makes this hard to do. It's about the same reason you can't just change your e-mail address and suddenly have everybody start using your new one. We'd have to change references to your nation all over the place, such as other people's telegrams, RMB messages, dossiers, forum accounts, the WA, some mod tools, and password recovery. And you'd have to change your name to something nobody has ever used before, or else you run into all the problems involved in releasing old nation names, too (which [violet] does plan to do, I'm fairly sure).

Yes, we could set up a redirect, like you would with a new e-mail address, but that would still require coding, and I'd still expect some bugs to pop up in some of the aforementioned areas.

viewtopic.php?p=336663#p336663

Thethunderdome wrote:I do not think ignorance means what you think it means


LOL How ironic. :rofl:
NSWiki|HP
Stupidity is like nuclear power; it can be used for good or evil, and you don't want to get any on you. - Scott Adams
Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness. - Terry Pratchett
Sometimes the smallest softest voice carries the grand biggest solutions
How our economy really works.
Obama is a conservative, not a liberal, and certainly not a socialist.

User avatar
RhynoD
Chargé d'Affaires
 
Posts: 490
Founded: Nov 11, 2004
Ex-Nation

Re: NS opinion on mod ignorance?

Postby RhynoD » Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:44 pm

Daistallia 2104 wrote:Note that I put in what I understood your original suggestion to be (or if it wasn't, a suggestion yours inspired).

And here's a fuller explanation of why actual names won't be changed:

No it doesn't. The site's architecture makes this hard to do. It's about the same reason you can't just change your e-mail address and suddenly have everybody start using your new one. We'd have to change references to your nation all over the place, such as other people's telegrams, RMB messages, dossiers, forum accounts, the WA, some mod tools, and password recovery. And you'd have to change your name to something nobody has ever used before, or else you run into all the problems involved in releasing old nation names, too (which [violet] does plan to do, I'm fairly sure).

Yes, we could set up a redirect, like you would with a new e-mail address, but that would still require coding, and I'd still expect some bugs to pop up in some of the aforementioned areas.

viewtopic.php?p=336663#p336663

Which is why I added the provision that it be practical.

Option 2: Provide a way for high-population nation users to create a new nation with a population at or close to their current population: the easiest way that I (who admittedly knows nothing about coding) would think to do it is have a way to link multiple nations to one email address, or multiple nations to a single parent nation.
As long as we're doing that, why not make it so that you can divide your population amongst offsprung nations? You create a new nation, rather than rename the old, you get to keep/make us of the population you've been building up for the last six years...

Thethunderdome wrote:I do not think ignorance means what you think it means


LOL How ironic. :rofl:
[/quote]
That's not ironic, it's just coincidental.
So a horse walks into a bar and the bartender says, "Hey, why the long face?"
Former top poster and First President of the Social Spam Alliance.
Sarkhaan wrote:This. And just about everything else RhynoD said.

User avatar
Ardchoille
Retired Moderator
 
Posts: 9842
Founded: Apr 18, 2004
Democratic Socialists

Re: NS opinion on mod ignorance?

Postby Ardchoille » Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:55 pm

Georgetpwn wrote:i support chaning nation names.

btw, i know this will be locked for speaking against mod policy. or something to that effect.



Oh, migod, yes. We meet in solemn conclave in the Modcave at midnight in the dark of every moon to formulate inviolable policy on such matters.

Should the players be able to change their nations' names? asks the Priestess (ignoring all other less vital topics, such as porn spammers, new proposal categories, improvements to the forums, etc).

And the congregation respondeth Noooo! and clicks their claws in an ancient rhythm ... then out we go, after the fox with chains and locks, to find violators of our newest policy (who didn't know about it, 'cos it's new) and humiliate them on the village green for their ignorance.

Seriously, guys, what do you think mods do? Most of us aren't techies; we can't answer tech questions, we don't have the tools to perform techie solutions. When we see a question that can be answered within the limits of our knowledge, we answer it, as Eras did.

She should come back and hold your hand, Buccaneers FC, and tell you she's sorry, but she can't change the whole technical setup just for you?

I would not post this rant, incidentally, if all your questions had not been answered; instead I would dutifully hunt around for them and politely convey them to you.

But other players have answered. Dai's post, above, covers the lot. You can actually trust other players, you know. Some of them have been here longer than some of the mods. It's not "ignoring" your post if a mod sees it's been properly answered and decides not to post a clever and insightful "What he said".

But, what the hell, the illusion that The Mods Are Out To Get Us is vital to some players' enjoyment of the game.

So I will now, arbitrarily and in best ModNazi fashion, LOCK THE THREAD, OMG, OMG, did you see what she just did? to add to the drama.

The fact that this is a technical forum, not a debate forum, and that the technical question has been answered, wouldn't have anything to do with that decision, though. It's pure evil oppression.
Last edited by Ardchoille on Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ideological Bulwark #35
The more scandalous charges were suppressed; the vicar of Christ was accused only of piracy, rape, sodomy, murder and incest. -- Edward Gibbon on the schismatic Pope John XXIII (1410–1415).

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Technical

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Grea Kriopia

Advertisement

Remove ads