NATION

PASSWORD

Wis. G.O.P Receiving Death Threats. No Call for Civility?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Should Democratic Party Leaders call for civility in wake of Wis. death threats?

Yes.
59%
Maybe.
7%
No.
34%

Total votes : 171

Pope Joan
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 11, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Pope Joan » Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:37 pm

One measly email?

Not much of a threat.
"Life is difficult".

-M. Scott Peck

Buurdland
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 28, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Buurdland » Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:40 pm

Pope Joan wrote:One measly email?

Not much of a threat.

Plus thousands of Communist spies protesting at the Capitol...bit of a threat eh guv'ner?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WhkMznIKBc&feature=player_embedded

"The greatest troll of our generation."
- The Sun
☆☆☆☆☆

"You'll never look at trolling the same way again"
- The Times
☆☆☆☆☆

"Truly sets the standard for trolling in the new decade"
- The Guardian
☆☆☆☆

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby The Black Forrest » Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:42 pm

Not much of a threat.

Hey you have to try and distract people. There are terrorists!!!!!
*I am a master proofreader after I click Submit.
* There is actually a War on Christmas. But Christmas started it, with it's unparalleled aggression against the Thanksgiving Holiday, and now Christmas has seized much Lebensraum in November, and are pushing into October. The rest of us seek to repel these invaders, and push them back to the status quo ante bellum Black Friday border. -Trotskylvania
* Silence Is Golden But Duct Tape Is Silver.
* I felt like Ayn Rand cornered me at a party, and three minutes in I found my first objection to what she was saying, but she kept talking without interruption for ten more days. - Max Barry talking about Atlas Shrugged

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:52 pm

The Black Forrest wrote:

Not much of a threat.

Black Forrest pardon me would you be so kind as to wear this Turban ?
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

West Guiana
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 25, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby West Guiana » Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:55 pm

Buurdland wrote:

Not much of a threat.

Plus thousands of Communist spies protesting at the Capitol...bit of a threat eh guv'ner?

I'd rather vote for communism than the Nazi's.
Last edited by West Guiana on Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wiki--Factbook
NSCF III Quarter Finalist, WLC XII Quarter Finalist

GO PACK GO

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby The Black Forrest » Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:56 pm

greed and death wrote:
The Black Forrest wrote:

Black Forrest pardon me would you be so kind as to wear this Turban ?

:D

Hey look a nice new quarter! Shiny!
*I am a master proofreader after I click Submit.
* There is actually a War on Christmas. But Christmas started it, with it's unparalleled aggression against the Thanksgiving Holiday, and now Christmas has seized much Lebensraum in November, and are pushing into October. The rest of us seek to repel these invaders, and push them back to the status quo ante bellum Black Friday border. -Trotskylvania
* Silence Is Golden But Duct Tape Is Silver.
* I felt like Ayn Rand cornered me at a party, and three minutes in I found my first objection to what she was saying, but she kept talking without interruption for ten more days. - Max Barry talking about Atlas Shrugged

Buurdland
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Buurdland » Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:03 pm

West Guiana wrote:
Buurdland wrote:Plus thousands of Communist spies protesting at the Capitol...bit of a threat eh guv'ner?

Why? The Commies were weak and had a terrible economy and let any old person join their country. Plus they committed far worse crimes in both peace and war. Remember the Winter War? The Right at least has a strong military. What does the left have?

- The Sun
☆☆☆☆☆

- The Times
☆☆☆☆☆

- The Guardian
☆☆☆☆

Tsa-la-gi Nation
Minister

Founded: Aug 19, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Tsa-la-gi Nation » Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:11 pm

Buurdland wrote:
West Guiana wrote:Image

Why? The Commies were weak and had a terrible economy and let any old person join their country. Plus they committed far worse crimes in both peace and war. Remember the Winter War? The Right at least has a strong military. What does the left have?

morals

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:13 pm

The Black Forrest wrote:
greed and death wrote:Black Forrest pardon me would you be so kind as to wear this Turban ?

:D

Hey look a nice new quarter! Shiny!

Come on wear the Turban, I promise it wont be like last time where I got you shipped to Gitmo as an unlawful combatant.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

Buurdland
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Buurdland » Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:15 pm

Tsa-la-gi Nation wrote:
Buurdland wrote:

morals

You mean not showing up for work for 3 weeks straight is a good morale to have? You mean killing the economy is good as long as it gets you what YOU want? Man and I thought you liberals were selfish before!

- The Sun
☆☆☆☆☆

- The Times
☆☆☆☆☆

- The Guardian
☆☆☆☆

Beldonia
Senator

Founded: Jan 07, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Beldonia » Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:16 pm

Honestly, most of the time, death threats are just stupid people who think it's funny. I mean, if you're going to kill someone, why give them time to prepare or get body guards or take precautions?

West Guiana
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby West Guiana » Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:19 pm

Buurdland wrote:You mean not showing up for work for 3 weeks straight is a good morale to have? You mean killing the economy is good as long as it gets you what YOU want? Man and I thought you liberals were selfish before!

For what we want, WE don't WANT two wars but YOU WANT wars, WE have morals, because we care about the working class and know that the Koch brothers didn't vote the republican Nazi's in office. The Repubs did the most un-democratic thing ever THEY forcefully pushed something through without any second thoughts they passed a law like dictators.
Wiki--Factbook

GO PACK GO

Turmoilandia
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Aug 20, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Turmoilandia » Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:19 pm

The leaders of the Democratic Party and of the unions should denounce those who send death threats and call for those who make such threats to be prosecuted to the fullest extent possible under the law. In the meantime, they should call off the angry mobs of union thugs and tell the entitled teachers and the runaway legislators to get back to work and do their jobs.

Buurdland
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Buurdland » Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:22 pm

West Guiana wrote:
Buurdland wrote:You mean not showing up for work for 3 weeks straight is a good morale to have? You mean killing the economy is good as long as it gets you what YOU want? Man and I thought you liberals were selfish before!

For what we want, WE don't WANT two wars but YOU WANT wars, WE have morals, because we care about the working class and know that the Koch brothers didn't vote the republican Nazi's in office. The Repubs did the most un-democratic thing ever THEY forcefully pushed something through without any second thoughts they passed a law like dictators.

Are you forgetting that the Democrats pushed Obamacare through in an undemocratic fashion? After the bill failed several times? Your morals are where again? Who said Republicans WANT wars? Bush wanted wars. Bush does not equal all Republicans.

Bolded the funniest statement ever. The most undemocratic thing ever took place when the South seceded.

- The Sun
☆☆☆☆☆

- The Times
☆☆☆☆☆

- The Guardian
☆☆☆☆

Tsa-la-gi Nation
Minister

Founded: Aug 19, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Tsa-la-gi Nation » Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:23 pm

Buurdland wrote:
Tsa-la-gi Nation wrote:morals

You mean not showing up for work for 3 weeks straight is a good morale to have? You mean killing the economy is good as long as it gets you what YOU want? Man and I thought you liberals were selfish before!

I understand comrade...a good worker is a good member of the party.

Buurdland
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Buurdland » Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:24 pm

Tsa-la-gi Nation wrote:
Buurdland wrote:

Finally a comrade who understands! For Stalin!

- The Sun
☆☆☆☆☆

- The Times
☆☆☆☆☆

- The Guardian
☆☆☆☆

West Guiana
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby West Guiana » Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:30 pm

Tsa-la-gi Nation wrote:
Buurdland wrote:

:clap: :clap: give you a few :bow: :bow:

Republicans need to remember their corporate masters aren't the ones who own the ballot box, Union members do.
Wiki--Factbook

GO PACK GO

Wikkiwallana
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 21, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Wikkiwallana » Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:58 pm

Buurdland wrote:
West Guiana wrote:

Are you forgetting that the Democrats pushed Obamacare through in an undemocratic fashion?

Over a year of back and forth arguing, conceding points, and endless bitching is undemocratic? Since when?
Proud Scalawag and Statist!

Please don't confuse my country for my politics; my country is being run as a parody, my posts aren't.
Dumb Ideologies wrote:Halt!
Just because these people are stupid, wrong and highly dangerous does not mean you have the right to make them feel sad.
Xenohumanity wrote:
Nulono wrote:Snip
I'm a pro-lifer who runs a nation of dragon-men...
And even I think that's stupid.
Avenio wrote:Just so you know, the use of the term 'sheep' 'sheeple' or any other herd animal-based terminology in conjunction with an exhortation to 'think outside the box' or stop going along with groupthink generally indicates that the speaker is actually more closed-minded on the subject than the people that he/she is addressing. At least, in my experience at least.

Occupied Deutschland
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Occupied Deutschland » Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:00 pm

Wikkiwallana wrote:
Buurdland wrote:
Are you forgetting that the Democrats pushed Obamacare through in an undemocratic fashion?

Over a year of back and forth arguing, conceding points, and endless bitching is undemocratic? Since when?

Since the public still didn't want it passed after the conceding, endless bitching, and back & forth arguing.
I'm General Patton.
Even those who are gone are with us as we go on.

Been busy lately--not around much.

Buurdland
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Buurdland » Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:13 pm

Wikkiwallana wrote:
Buurdland wrote:

The way in which it was passed allowed it to skip voting in the Senate did it not? How exactly is that democratic in the least? If it was a bill that the people wanted it would have passed both the House and Senate, but it did not it was passed in a sneaky manner similar to the way the Republicans passed this bill. Stop pretending the Democrats are holy, their shit does stink.

- The Sun
☆☆☆☆☆

- The Times
☆☆☆☆☆

- The Guardian
☆☆☆☆

Grave_n_idle
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 11, 2004
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Grave_n_idle » Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:23 pm

Buurdland wrote:
Wikkiwallana wrote:Over a year of back and forth arguing, conceding points, and endless bitching is undemocratic? Since when?

The way in which it was passed allowed it to skip voting in the Senate did it not? How exactly is that democratic in the least? If it was a bill that the people wanted it would have passed both the House and Senate...

Your logic... isn't.

The representatives are democratically elected, but that doesn't mean any given bill is going to be voted on democratically, since party politics is obviously going to figure into it.

For example - 60% of Americans favour a public option. If the bill creation/amendment process were truly democratic (apart from it being a horrible confusion, all the time), then politicians would not be voting along partisan lines, or trading favours - they'd be giving majority support to a public option.

But that's not the way it works, and most Americans understand that when they vote. They accept that they democratically elect (fairly democratically, at least) representatives who may or may not act democratically themselves.
I identify as
a problem

Buurdland
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Buurdland » Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:29 pm

Grave_n_idle wrote:
Buurdland wrote:
The way in which it was passed allowed it to skip voting in the Senate did it not? How exactly is that democratic in the least? If it was a bill that the people wanted it would have passed both the House and Senate...

Your logic... isn't.

The representatives are democratically elected, but that doesn't mean any given bill is going to be voted on democratically, since party politics is obviously going to figure into it.

For example - 60% of Americans favour a public option. If the bill creation/amendment process were truly democratic (apart from it being a horrible confusion, all the time), then politicians would not be voting along partisan lines, or trading favours - they'd be giving majority support to a public option.

But that's not the way it works, and most Americans understand that when they vote. They accept that they democratically elect (fairly democratically, at least) representatives who may or may not act democratically themselves.

Actually when the bill passed the support for it was polled as below 40% according to MSNBC, who tend to have a liberal bias. The fact that it skipped the Senate makes it almost exactly like the incident in Wisconsin, only this time an entire section of the Legislator has no say on if it passed or not. The Democrats had no say on if the bill passed or not, well the same went for the Senate with Obamacare. Which is worse, denying an opposing party a chance to vote on a bill or denying both your own party and the opposing party a chance to vote?

- The Sun
☆☆☆☆☆

- The Times
☆☆☆☆☆

- The Guardian
☆☆☆☆

Wikkiwallana
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 21, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Wikkiwallana » Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:32 pm

Buurdland wrote:
Wikkiwallana wrote:Over a year of back and forth arguing, conceding points, and endless bitching is undemocratic? Since when?

The way in which it was passed allowed it to skip voting in the Senate did it not?

It did? Can you source that? If it's true, I wasn't aware of it and I will be glad to join you in being damn pissed about it. I will not, however, say that something being done despite being publicly unpopular is undemocratic. I would expect legislatures to have more information about the potential effects of their bills than the average citizens, that's why they have huge staffs of aides, and sometimes being a leader means doing what is right instead of what is popular.
Proud Scalawag and Statist!

Please don't confuse my country for my politics; my country is being run as a parody, my posts aren't.
Dumb Ideologies wrote:Halt!
Just because these people are stupid, wrong and highly dangerous does not mean you have the right to make them feel sad.
Xenohumanity wrote:
Nulono wrote:Snip
I'm a pro-lifer who runs a nation of dragon-men...
And even I think that's stupid.
Avenio wrote:Just so you know, the use of the term 'sheep' 'sheeple' or any other herd animal-based terminology in conjunction with an exhortation to 'think outside the box' or stop going along with groupthink generally indicates that the speaker is actually more closed-minded on the subject than the people that he/she is addressing. At least, in my experience at least.

Buurdland
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Buurdland » Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:44 pm

Wikkiwallana wrote:
Buurdland wrote:
The way in which it was passed allowed it to skip voting in the Senate did it not?

It did? Can you source that? If it's true, I wasn't aware of it and I will be glad to join you in being damn pissed about it. I will not, however, say that something being done despite being publicly unpopular is undemocratic. I would expect legislatures to have more information about the potential effects of their bills than the average citizens, that's why they have huge staffs of aides, and sometimes being a leader means doing what is right instead of what is popular.

I am looking for an UNBIASED source for it, though what happened was the bill passed the Senate and the House voted to "deem" the bill in order to pass an identical bill, however they never voted on the bill itself, only voted to "deem" it. Regardless of if the "deeming" passed or not it still is completely unconstitutional as a bill must be passed in the House first then the Senate, not vice-versa. There are several ongoing legal battles regarding the bill right now, all of them should have the same info in them.

- The Sun
☆☆☆☆☆

- The Times
☆☆☆☆☆

- The Guardian
☆☆☆☆

Revolutopia
Negotiator

Founded: May 25, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Revolutopia » Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:46 pm

Where are you getting the idea that Healthcare reform bypassed the Senate? Only, thing I have read about it was that it was passed through budget reconciliation, meaning it only need 51 votes and the Republicans could not continue to filibuster the passage. You know the same tactics Republicans used to pass the Bush Tax Cuts back in 2001.
The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little.-FDR

Economic Left/Right: -3.12|Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.49

Who is Tom Joad?

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General