NATION

PASSWORD

[PASSED] Commend Crazy Girl

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.
Sedgistan
Site Director

Founded: Oct 20, 2006
Anarchy

[PASSED] Commend Crazy Girl

Postby Sedgistan » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:54 pm

Image Commend Crazy Girl
A resolution to recognize outstanding contribution by a nation or region.

Category: Commendation | Nominee: Crazy Girl | Proposed by: Sedgistan

Description: The World Assembly,

Aware that Crazy Girl was founded in early 2003 in The Pacific; becoming involved in the region's governance, and later fighting (ultimately in vain) to free the region when it was subjected to the infamously tyrannical rule of Francos Spain,

Observing that Crazy Girl was involved in the Alliance Defense Network (ADN), the leading defender military organisation of its day; serving as Secretary of Defence, and through this role helping to protect the sovereignty of numerous regions by defending them against invasion,

Noting that Crazy Girl was a driving force behind the reorganisation of the ADN, which saw it re-branded as the 'ADN Reloaded', with new forums and a new Charter, resulting in a reduction of bureaucracy, allowing the organisation to concentrate on its primary goal of defending regions,

Perceiving that Crazy Girl was one of the three organisers of the 'puppetmaster' liberation of The North Pacific in July 2004, which was the largest successful liberation in NationStates history, freeing the region from the occupation of the New Pacific Order, and seeing it returned to the rightful control of its natives,

Recalling Crazy Girl's contributions to The Rejected Realms, which include:
• Constructing and maintaining their current forums, to aid communication between members, and organisation of the regional government,
• Defending with, and leading, the Rejected Realms Army -- a military that helps to defend vulnerable regions from the threat of invasion,
• Maintaining the security of the region by successfully keeping Kandarin -- the recipient of a WA Commendation (SCR #2), in the position of delegate - despite the delegate being unable to eject or ban nations from the region,

Recognising that following control of Kandarin being ceded to Naivetry, Crazy Girl played a critical role in the transition, ensuring stability, and protecting the interests of residents of the region by facilitating the holding of an election to allow them to decide on the regional delegate,

Believing that Crazy Girl has had a major impact on the improvement of NationStates, by giving insightful feedback on suggested changes to the structure of the global environment, and by providing helpful advice to fledgling nations seeking to involve themselves within international affairs,

Acknowledging Crazy Girl's more irreverent contributions to NationStates, including petitioning the World Assembly to change its misogynistic categorisation of nations as 'Father Knows Best States' by allowing Matriarchies and Queendoms to be recognised as 'Mother Knows Best States',

Concluding that through these diverse and multitudinous contributions, Crazy Girl has made the world a more peaceful and enjoyable place, and that these actions are more than worthy of recognition through a World Assembly Commendation,

Hereby Commends Crazy Girl.

So after a 4 month break, I'm getting back to writing proposals - there's this, and another one that I'll post here soon.

As ever, I'm open to suggestions for improving this proposal. I'm happy with the content (unless there's any old-timers around who see things differently) - it's the phrasing/grammar I'm slightly worried about.
Last edited by Sedgistan on Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:03 am, edited 6 times in total.

Corporation de Apple
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 05, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Corporation de Apple » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:02 pm

Sedgistan wrote:
(Image) Commend Crazy Girl
A resolution to recognize outstanding contribution by a nation or region.

Category: Commendation | Nominee: Crazy Girl | Proposed by: Sedgistan

Description: The World Assembly,

Aware that Crazy Girl was founded in early 2003 in The Pacific; becoming involved in the region's governance, and later fighting (ultimately in vain) to free the region when it was taken over by the infamous tyrant Francos Spain,

Observing that Crazy Girl was involved in the Alliance Defense Network (ADN), the leading defender military organisation of its day; serving as Secretary of Defence, and through this role helping to protect the sovereignty of numerous regions by defending them against invasion,

Noting that Crazy Girl was a driving force behind the reorganisation of the ADN, which saw it re-branded as the 'ADN Reloaded', with new forums and a new Charter, resulting in a reduction of bureaucracy, allowing the organisation to concentrate on its primary goal of defending regions,

Perceiving that Crazy Girl was one of the three organisers of the 'puppetmaster' liberation of The North Pacific in July 2004, which was the largest successful liberation in NationStates history, freeing the region from the occupation of the New Pacific Order, and seeing it returned to the rightful control of its natives,

Recalling Crazy Girl's contributions to The Rejected Realms, which include:
• Constructing and maintaining their current forums, to aid communication between members, and organisation of the regional government,
• Defending with, and leading, the Rejected Realms Army -- a military that helps to defend vulnerable regions from the threat of invasion,
• Maintaining the security of the region by successfully keeping Kandarin -- the recipient of a WA Commendation (SCR #2), in the position of delegate - this despite the delegate being unable to eject or ban nations from the region,

Recognising that following control of Kandarin being ceded to Naivetry, Crazy Girl played a critical role in the transition, ensuring stability, and protecting the interests of residents of the region by facilitating the holding of an election to allow them to decide on the regional delegate,

Believing that Crazy Girl has had a major impact on the improvement of NationStates, by giving insightful feedback on suggested changes to the structure of the global environment, and by providing helpful advice to fledgling nations seeking to involve themselves within international affairs,

Acknowledging Crazy Girl's more irreverent contributions to NationStates, including petitioning the World Assembly to change its misogynistic categorisation of nations as 'Father Knows Best States' by allowing Matriarchies and Queendoms to be recognised as 'Mother Knows Best States',

Concluding that through these diverse and multitudinous contributions, Crazy Girl has made the world a more peaceful and enjoyable place, and that these actions are more than worthy of recognition through a World Assembly Commendation,

Hereby Commends Crazy Girl.

So after a 4 month break, I'm getting back to writing proposals - there's this, and another one that I'll post here soon.

As ever, I'm open to suggestions for improving this proposal. I'm happy with the content (unless there's any old-timers around who see things differently) - it's the phrasing/grammar I'm slightly worried about.

Grammar? Phasing? My god, Sedge! It's awesome. If it gets to vote, I'm voting! One thing though, when you say
serving as Secretary of Defence, and through this role helping to protect the sovereignty of numerous regions by defending them against invasion

I think that it would more aptly said as:
serving as Secretary of Defence, and, by fulfilling and exceeding her position, helped to protect the sovereignty of numerous regions by defending them against invasion

Please let me know what you think about my potential idea.
The Hand of Thrawnn
Former things in Osiris
Frisbeeteria wrote:
Albul wrote:Everyone has said what they needed and now no one is saying anything relevant to the topic.

That describes pretty much every topic ever posted in NSG.

Whamabama
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Feb 04, 2008
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Whamabama » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:02 pm

Keep in mind, that I am not rule 4 versed, and haven't given too much of a flip about the SC since it was thrown at us.

but it seems to be well written from what I can see. Given the author of the resolution, I am assuming it is Anti GP rule compatible.

"The sovereignty of one's self over one's self is called 'liberty'."
Founder of Equilism
E-Army Officer
Former Delegate of The Rejected Realms
Equilism's Forum http://www.equilism.org/forum/index.php?act=idx

Unibot II
Senator

Founded: Jan 10, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Unibot II » Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:25 pm

Sedgistan wrote:Aware that Crazy Girl was founded in early 2003 in The Pacific; becoming involved in the region's governance, and later fighting (ultimately in vain) to free the region when it was taken over by the infamous tyrant Francos Spain,

R4? Can a nation be a tyrant?

Perhaps recall that another organizer of this liberation has been commended before?

• Maintaining the security of the region by successfully keeping Kandarin -- the recipient of a WA Commendation (SCR #2), in the position of delegate - this despite the delegate being unable to eject or ban nations from the region,

I still think it's patriarchal not necessarily misogynistic.
Vocenae wrote:Unibot, you have won NS.
General Halcones wrote:Look up to Unibot as an example.
Member of Gholgoth | The Capitalis de Societate of The United Defenders League (UDL) | Org. Join Date: 25/05/2008
Unibotian Factbook // An Analysis of NationStates Generations // The Gameplay Alignment Test // NS Weather // How do I join the UDL?
World Assembly Card Gallery // The Unibotian Life Expectancy Index // Proudly Authored 9 GA Res., 14 SC Res. // Commended by SC#78;
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Duty is Eternal, Justice is Imminent: UDL

Flemingovia
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Dec 22, 2003
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Flemingovia » Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:29 pm

Seems to me to be commending a player rather than a nation. I like it.

Sedge, as penance you must coat your nether regions with honey and expose your gonads to fire ants. This is the penalty of all who are not rule 4 compliant.
IMPORTANT: Before reading this post please read the terms and conditions below. By accessing this post you signify your acceptance, full and in part, of those terms and conditions:

http://img808.imageshack.us/i/disclaimer.jpg/

Unibot II
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Unibot II » Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:31 pm

Flemingovia wrote:Seems to me to be commending a player rather than a nation. I like it.

Sedge, as penance you must coat your nether regions with honey and expose your gonads to fire ants. This is the penalty of all who are not rule 4 compliant.

Sedge was the first person to really work hard at mastering the SC language to equivocate and commend players. That's why we love him. :)
Member of Gholgoth | The Capitalis de Societate of The United Defenders League (UDL) | Org. Join Date: 25/05/2008
Unibotian Factbook // An Analysis of NationStates Generations // The Gameplay Alignment Test // NS Weather // How do I join the UDL?
World Assembly Card Gallery // The Unibotian Life Expectancy Index // Proudly Authored 9 GA Res., 14 SC Res. // Commended by SC#78;

Flemingovia
Chargé d'Affaires

Postby Flemingovia » Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:32 pm

So no gonad-exposing then?
IMPORTANT: Before reading this post please read the terms and conditions below. By accessing this post you signify your acceptance, full and in part, of those terms and conditions:

Unibot II
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Unibot II » Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:33 pm

Flemingovia wrote:So no gonad-exposing then?

Eh, we'll wait till he implements Rule V.

Flemingovia
Chargé d'Affaires

Postby Flemingovia » Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:34 pm

Not even on a recreational basis?

EDIT:

Having read this:

I feel obliged to point out that it does not have to be gonads that are exposed. Vulvae work equally well, and require less honey.
Last edited by Flemingovia on Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sedgistan
Site Director

Anarchy

Postby Sedgistan » Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:53 pm

Unibot II wrote:R4? Can a nation be a tyrant?

I think so, though obviously if you want to question the legality of anything here, I can't rule on it. Of the definitions I've found of 'tyrant' some of them explicitly refer to it being a person, but others say it could be "a cruel and unjust ruler" or "anything that exercises tyrannical influence".

Perhaps recall that another organizer of this liberation has been commended before?

I've already referenced Kandarin's commendation - I'm wary about referring to another one, as people may think there's too much duplication. Plus, then people may expect me to commend the third... (not that he isn't worthy of it)

Fair enough.

I still think it's patriarchal not necessarily misogynistic.

Meh, I'm happy with that word :P

Corporation de Apple wrote:I think that it would more aptly said as:
serving as Secretary of Defence, and, by fulfilling and exceeding her position, helped to protect the sovereignty of numerous regions by defending them against invasion

You've put a personal pronoun (her) in, which would violate Rule 4. I'm not not sure it could be re-phrased in the way you suggest without either sounding awkward, or including an (illegal) personal pronoun. That said, thanks for your comments :)

Flemingovia wrote:Seems to me to be commending a player rather than a nation. I like it.

Thanks. As far as I'm concerned, it's a commendation of the player, which can also be read as a commendation of the nation. As for the honey, gonads & ants suggestion, I um, er... oh, is that the time?

*runs*

Unibot II
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Unibot II » Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:00 pm

Sedgistan wrote:
Unibot II wrote:R4? Can a nation be a tyrant?

I think so, though obviously if you want to question the legality of anything here, I can't rule on it. Of the definitions I've found of 'tyrant' some of them explicitly refer to it being a person, but others say it could be "a cruel and unjust ruler" or "anything that exercises tyrannical influence".

OED isn't in your favor unfortunately...

1. One who seizes upon the sovereign power in a state without legal right; an absolute ruler; a usurper. )
2. A ruler, governor, prince. Obs.
3. A king or ruler who exercises his power in an oppressive, unjust, or cruel manner; a despot.
4. Any one who exercises power or authority oppressively, despotically, or cruelly; one who treats those under his control tyrannically.
4.b By extension: Any one who acts in a cruel, violent, or wicked manner; a ruffian, desperado; a villain. Hence as a term of reproach. Obs.
4.c fig. Anything of which the action is likened to that of a tyrannical ruler. (e.g., (1847) "Public opinion, the greatest tyrant of these times.")
5. Any bird of the family Tyrannidæ; (You could argue he was a bird. :lol:)
6. That is a tyrant, tyrannical, tyrannous; also, characteristic of a tyrant. (e.g., (1775) "A reconciliation between our no longer parent state, but tyrant state, and these colonies.")

The references of tyrant to something that is not an individual is kind of rare, 1847 and 1775 were the last time the OED found references to such rhetorical usages. Seeing as how I had much newer sources for "Poster" and you didn't seem to bat an eye before saying that was an 'obsolete' usage, I don't see how it is fair to rule differently here. My own preference would be to allow both, "Poster" and "Tyrant" in these, perhaps, archaic usages.. because it's not the job of mods to be lexicographers and decide for us when word usages are dead or not.

I've already referenced Kandarin's commendation - I'm wary about referring to another one, as people may think there's too much duplication. Plus, then people may expect me to commend the third... (not that he isn't worthy of it)

Duplication isn't what comes to my mind, precedent comes to my mind -- and what would be wrong with commending the third? :/

Corporation de Apple wrote:I think that it would more aptly said as:

You've put a personal pronoun (her) in, which would violate Rule 4. I'm not not sure it could be re-phrased in the way you suggest without either sounding awkward, or including an (illegal) personal pronoun. That said, thanks for your comments :)

You lack imagination. :P

serving as Secretary of Defence, and, by fulfilling and exceeding the position, helped to protect the sovereignty of numerous regions by defending them against invasion

Sedgistan
Site Director

Anarchy

Postby Sedgistan » Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:16 pm

Unibot II wrote:The references of tyrant to something that is not an individual is kind of rare, 1847 and 1775 were the last time the OED found references to such rhetorical usages. Seeing as how I had much newer sources for "Poster" and you didn't seem to bat an eye before saying that was an 'obsolete' usage, I don't see how it is fair to rule differently here. My own preference would be to allow both, "Poster" and "Tyrant" in these, perhaps, archaic usages.. because it's not the job of mods to be lexicographers and decide for us when word usages are dead or not.

I'm not ruling on anything here - I'm arguing my case, and if you feel it's illegal, go ask a(nother) mod to review it.

My sources were:
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/tyrant
Random House Dictionary: 3. a tyrannical or compulsory influence.
Collins English Dictionary: 3. anything that exercises tyrannical influence
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/tyrant
Kernerman English Multilingual Dictionary: a cruel and unjust ruler

I do not feel that these are 'archaic' uses of the word, or even uncommon ones. It could be argued, for example, that the USA was a 'tyrant' on the world stage. Additionally, it's not an attempt to sneak in a reference to games mechanics.

Duplication isn't what comes to my mind, precedent comes to my mind -- and what would be wrong with commending the third? :/

The third was Ballotonia, and it was a joke - I'd have no problem with commending him. I'd still prefer not to make the reference, as I'd like this to be judged separately from Commend Ananke.

You lack imagination. :P

serving as Secretary of Defence, and, by fulfilling and exceeding the position, helped to protect the sovereignty of numerous regions by defending them against invasion

Meh, I prefer my phrasing :P

Unibot II
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Unibot II » Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:41 pm

Sedgistan wrote:
Unibot II wrote:The references of tyrant to something that is not an individual is kind of rare, 1847 and 1775 were the last time the OED found references to such rhetorical usages. Seeing as how I had much newer sources for "Poster" and you didn't seem to bat an eye before saying that was an 'obsolete' usage, I don't see how it is fair to rule differently here. My own preference would be to allow both, "Poster" and "Tyrant" in these, perhaps, archaic usages.. because it's not the job of mods to be lexicographers and decide for us when word usages are dead or not.

I'm not ruling on anything here - I'm arguing my case, and if you feel it's illegal, go ask a(nother) mod to review it.

My sources were:
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/tyrant
Random House Dictionary: 3. a tyrannical or compulsory influence.
Collins English Dictionary: 3. anything that exercises tyrannical influence
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/tyrant
Kernerman English Multilingual Dictionary: a cruel and unjust ruler

I do not feel that these are 'archaic' uses of the word, or even uncommon ones. It could be argued, for example, that the USA was a 'tyrant' on the world stage. Additionally, it's not an attempt to sneak in a reference to games mechanics.

Hhhm... I don't like how motive is used quite a bit in mod rulings. (1) You have to be able to read my mind to understand my motive, (2) You know you're trying to sneak something in about a game as a game, you want to write Francos as a tyrannical player, and you're doing everything you can to write it as such. I can sympathize with this, but drawing a line between my legality and your legality, seems unfair. In your example dictionaries, only two of them are legitimate, scholarly English dictionaries and you've resorted to going to the third definition -- the uses of such language is archaic. No I wouldn't say the USA is a tyrant, no more than I would say Canada is a poster, the USA is perhaps tyrannical but not a tyrant. Perhaps this is a divide between British and American usage, but once again, you were not so charitable with "poster".

Sedgistan
Site Director

Anarchy

Postby Sedgistan » Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:53 pm

Most gameplay proposals involve describing the player with language that can be read as describing a nation... that's nothing new. Additionally, any of those three definitions can apply to my usage of the word 'tyrant'. Anyhow, since you're disputing this, I'll ask for a ruling. Lets hope they're quicker than usual ;)

Unibot II
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Unibot II » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:29 pm

Sedgistan wrote:Most gameplay proposals involve describing the player with language that can be read as describing a nation... that's nothing new. Additionally, any of those three definitions can apply to my usage of the word 'tyrant'. Anyhow, since you're disputing this, I'll ask for a ruling. Lets hope they're quicker than usual ;)

Any of those dozen of definitions of 'poster' could have applied to my usage of the word, 'poster'.

Sedgistan wrote:Lets hope they're quicker than usual ;)

You're usually much quicker than the other mods. But perhaps at the expense of accuracy. Poster. :P
Last edited by Unibot II on Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ballotonia
Senior Admin

Founded: Antiquity
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby Ballotonia » Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:10 am

I wonder what would be against writing "the infamously tyrannical nation Francos Spain" ? Just throwing in a 'nation' there since due to him CTE'ing a link wouldn't really work, IMHO.

Ballotonia
"Een volk dat voor tirannen zwicht zal meer dan lijf en goed verliezen, dan dooft het licht…" -- H.M. van Randwijk

Sedgistan
Site Director

Anarchy

Postby Sedgistan » Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:43 am

Ballotonia wrote:I wonder what would be against writing "the infamously tyrannical nation Francos Spain" ? Just throwing in a 'nation' there since due to him CTE'ing a link wouldn't really work, IMHO.

Ballotonia

Good suggestion - I've gone with that.

Unibot?

Unibot II
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Unibot II » Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:44 am

Sedgistan wrote:
Ballotonia wrote:I wonder what would be against writing "the infamously tyrannical nation Francos Spain" ? Just throwing in a 'nation' there since due to him CTE'ing a link wouldn't really work, IMHO.

Ballotonia

Good suggestion - I've gone with that.

Unibot?

It really doesn't equivocate. An oppressor can be a state, I suppose.

Sedgistan
Site Director

Anarchy

Postby Sedgistan » Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:52 am

Unibot II wrote:It really doesn't equivocate. An oppressor can be a state, I suppose.

You're saying that a nation cannot be tyrannical? Seriously?

Corporation de Apple
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 05, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Corporation de Apple » Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:06 am

Must I delve into the VERY reason the RRA exists? :palm: :eek: :palm: :palm:
The Hand of Thrawnn
Former things in Osiris
Frisbeeteria wrote:
Albul wrote:Everyone has said what they needed and now no one is saying anything relevant to the topic.

That describes pretty much every topic ever posted in NSG.

Ardchoille
Retired Moderator

Founded: Apr 18, 2004
Democratic Socialists

Postby Ardchoille » Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:48 am

Unibot II wrote:It really doesn't equivocate. An oppressor can be a state, I suppose.

*grinds your 270million people beneath tyrannical 15billion heel*

And of course Sedge doesn't equivocate. He's very straightforward. :p
Ideological Bulwark #35
The more scandalous charges were suppressed; the vicar of Christ was accused only of piracy, rape, sodomy, murder and incest. -- Edward Gibbon on the schismatic Pope John XXIII (1410–1415).

Unibot II
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Unibot II » Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:29 am

Sedgistan wrote:

You're saying that a nation cannot be tyrannical? Seriously?

Um.. no, that's not what I'm saying.. I'm saying if you state Franco is a nation, that you can have an equivocating phrase that can be interpreted as both a player and a nation.

Ardchoille wrote:

*grinds your 270million people beneath tyrannical 15billion heel*

And of course Sedge doesn't equivocate. He's very straightforward. :p

*nods at the fact you didn't refer to your heel as a tyrant*

That's partially why we luv him to bits. :)

The Blaatschapen
Technical Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Anarchy

Postby The Blaatschapen » Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:37 am

Corporation de Apple wrote:Must I delve into the VERY reason the RRA exists? :palm: :eek: :palm: :palm:

Yes, inform us, oh insightful 2010 nation :eyebrow:
The Blaatschapen should resign

Sedgistan
Site Director

Anarchy

Postby Sedgistan » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:19 pm

Changed that first clause again to:
Aware that Crazy Girl was founded in early 2003 in The Pacific; becoming involved in the region's governance, and later fighting (ultimately in vain) to free the region when it was subjected to the infamously tyrannical rule of Francos Spain,

Unibot II
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Unibot II » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:51 pm

Sedgistan wrote:Changed that first clause again to:

Okay. Looks good. Of course, you may get the odd batty person who claims you're condemning Francos Spain in a commendation, by mentioning him and his infamy. :roll: Here would be my refutation of that: These people of course know little about what is a condemnation, and the mechanics of it -- the mere assertion of something as bad is not a condemnation without propositions. So the problem is not that you're 'condemning' him... but that the accuser lacks a developed grasp of what is a structured condemnation.
Last edited by Unibot II on Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives