NATION

PASSWORD

PASSED: Repeal "Universal Standard Time Act"

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.
Krioval
Minister

Founded: Jan 24, 2005
Ex-Nation

PASSED: Repeal "Universal Standard Time Act"

Postby Krioval » Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:18 pm

Well, Excellencies, the target of my displeasure is currently ahead by 2000 votes. It is clear that a careful, well-conceived repeal is likely necessary to eliminate it. Unfortunately, I got there first. Constructive comments are welcome - most useful would be to assist in building a stronger case than I am able to present alone. Here goes.

Repeal "Universal Standard Time Act"

The World Assembly,

NOTING that nations have been able to measure time independently of one another,

NOTING that the World Assembly has functioned sufficiently well in the absence of a "universal" system of time,

FURTHER NOTING that international commerce is not directly enhanced by an externally imposed clock,

CONCERNED that the physical nature of the universe precludes a single, externally imposed system of measuring the passage of time,

FINDING that many nations have means of timekeeping that are more precise than those described therein,

DETERMINED that an externally imposed "universal" system of time does nothing to benefit international trade or diplomacy,

DECLARES that "Universal Standard Time Act" be stricken from international law.
Last edited by Krioval on Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Just Guy
Envoy

Founded: Sep 16, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Just Guy » Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:01 pm

Would happily approve.
Elindra doing the Defenders' propaganda for the day:
Kshrlmnt wrote:
Glen-Rhodes wrote:Defenders are naturally disadvantaged in NationStates

One thing I like about raiding.

Darenjo
Minister

Founded: Mar 31, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Darenjo » Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:05 pm

Happy to support.

Also, you may want to mention the extremely confusing definition for "second".
Dr. Park Si-Jung, Ambassador to the World Assembly for The People's Democracy of Darenjo

Proud Member of Eastern Islands of Dharma!

Mahaj WA Seat
Minister

Founded: Nov 03, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Mahaj WA Seat » Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:22 pm

also from the text of the USTA

- Strongly Recommends WA states to recognize this act and it's implements as an official time measurement tool.

if it only recommends and not requires...is there really much of a point?
Member of The South and Osiris
Representing Mahaj in the World Assembly.
The Mahaj Factbook.

Author of Missing Minors Act (Repealed) and In Regards to Cloning
Mike the Progressive wrote:
Brogavia wrote:Fuck bitches, get money.
You shall be my god.

Georgism wrote:Fuck off you cunt, I'm always nice.

NERVUN wrote:Yog zap!

Cool Egg Sandwich wrote:I am the Urinater..... I'll be back.

Jedi Utopians wrote:5) Now, saying that a nation couldn't be part of OPEC would be bold. AIPEC sounds like something you'd want to get checked out by a physician for.

Unibot II
Senator

Founded: Jan 10, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Unibot II » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:40 pm

NOTING that nations have been able to measure time independently of one another,

Countries sharing a landmass are also able to measure time independently of one another on a land mass, but this doesn't mean that chaos doesn't ensue on an international scale.

NOTING that the World Assembly has functioned sufficiently well in the absence of a "universal" system of time,

Simply an assertion? How do we know it hasn't been a hassle for the gnomes to coordinate all these different times for us ambassadors?

FURTHER NOTING that international commerce is not directly enhanced by an externally imposed clock,

This needs explaining, common knowledge about how commerce works says otherwise.

CONCERNED that the physical nature of the universe precludes a single, externally imposed system of measuring the passage of time,

The gnomes will make it work.

Overall, I think it is a weak repeal for a terrible resolution.
Vocenae wrote:Unibot, you have won NS.
General Halcones wrote:Look up to Unibot as an example.
Member of Gholgoth | The Capitalis de Societate of The United Defenders League (UDL) | Org. Join Date: 25/05/2008
Unibotian Factbook // An Analysis of NationStates Generations // The Gameplay Alignment Test // NS Weather // How do I join the UDL?
World Assembly Card Gallery // The Unibotian Life Expectancy Index // Proudly Authored 9 GA Res., 14 SC Res. // Commended by SC#78;
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Duty is Eternal, Justice is Imminent: UDL

Unibot II
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Unibot II » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:45 pm

FORMS the World Assembly Time Board (WATB), tasked with regulating UT around all nations to be syncronised within half a second (0.5 seconds or 500 milliseconds) of a master atomic clock started once this resolution is passed. The atomic precision master clock shall be kept to match a chosen planet's time as defined below. It will use a second defined as 9,192,631,770 transitions between the two hyperfine ground states of a caesium-133 atom, thereby making the master clock an atomic clock.

FURTHER DEFINES that the WATB observes and keeps the master clock to match the local time tracked at an observatory picked by the WATB. Time observation will start when this legislation is passed by the General Assembly. Master clock will be kept in check by adding "leaps" of various intervals to keep the clock correct to the observatory chosen.

This would cause a mass dispute over who is the observatory, honestly -- especially considering some member-nations were unfairly excluded from the process of been picking as the observatory because their nation exists on an asteroid, space station or other celestial object that isn't a planet.
Member of Gholgoth | The Capitalis de Societate of The United Defenders League (UDL) | Org. Join Date: 25/05/2008
Unibotian Factbook // An Analysis of NationStates Generations // The Gameplay Alignment Test // NS Weather // How do I join the UDL?
World Assembly Card Gallery // The Unibotian Life Expectancy Index // Proudly Authored 9 GA Res., 14 SC Res. // Commended by SC#78;

Lubricata
Political Columnist

Founded: Feb 13, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Lubricata » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:06 pm

Support. I think there would have been many nations eager to author this repeal.

Charlotte Ryberg
The Muse of the Westcountry

Founded: Mar 14, 2007
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Charlotte Ryberg » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:06 am

Ninja'd! :p

But I would support anyway. As I said, it is not the interest of the WA nor the Minoan Government to force Antjepolis Time or London GMT on all member states. Antjepolis or London as the prime meridian would have sufficed if NationStates lived entirely on Planet Earth but sadly it is not.

Motuka
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 03, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Motuka » Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:05 am

In spite of some impatience with insta-repeals, would support this (and there's another proposal in the queue anyway, so it's not quite insta-).

- S.K.
World Assembly Personnel: Sandor Kaji ~ Julian Kbitaru

Political compass: Approximately -8 Social/+1 Economic (OOC); -6 Social/+9 Economic (IC) ~ Making Maps [suggestions welcome]

Kostemetsia
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 11, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Kostemetsia » Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:14 am

As a nation independent of Terra, the Commonwealth points out, by proxy of its WA delegation, that light lag and its impact on various systems of communication, even ansibles, is going to be a major disruption to WA Universal Time (and incidentally lodges its vote AGAINST the original resolution).

Regarding some remarks of the Unibotian delegate [ooc: Hey Unibot!], the Commonwealth also wishes to note that it would not be ill-disposed to substantive proof of any assertion made on behalf of the gnomes.
The Commonwealth (FT)
factbook | embassies and trade | CAFRI: 69 (Excellent)
background music requests

Imperial Yamea
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 21, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Imperial Yamea » Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:18 am

We wish to register our opposition to this Repeal. We do not think that having a Universal standard of time is a bad thing, as long as we can also use our other methods of measuring time.

Yours
Duchess Sarah
Member of The Commonwealth of Crowns

United NW Canada
Osberg-Thitania
Member of the Commonwealth of Crowns

Hirota
Powerbroker

Founded: Jan 22, 2004
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Hirota » Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:29 am

You could note that time is relative and thus any clock will inevitably suffer variations over time against the standard.
When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger - Confucius
Known to trigger Grammar Nazis, Spelling Nazis, Actual Nazis, the emotionally stunted and pedants.
Those affected by the views, opinions or general demeanour of this poster should review this puppy picture. Those affected by puppy pictures should consider investing in an isolation tank.

Economic Left/Right: -3.25, Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.03
Isn't it curious how people will claim they are against tribalism, then pigeonhole themselves into tribes?

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
I use obviously in italics to emphasise the conveying of sarcasm. If I've put excessive obviously's into a post that means I'm being sarcastic

Unibot II
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Unibot II » Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:58 am

Kostemetsia wrote: [ooc: Hey Unibot!]

*waves*

Kostemetsia wrote:Regarding some remarks of the Unibotian delegate, the Commonwealth also wishes to note that it would not be ill-disposed to substantive proof of any assertion made on behalf of the gnomes.

"Well.. due to failures of getting all the times transposed correctly, we had that 'breech' of democracy last year. Time does certainly seem important to the functioning of our institution, we do everything in a particularly regimented way: 3 days for quorum, 4 days of voting. If times aren't distributed correctly, the whole system would collapse -- extra security to ensure the coordination of times and an intuitive international time seems important to the continued functioning of the World Assembly." Eduard explained.

Krioval
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Krioval » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:21 am

Unibot II wrote:*snip*

Overall, I think it is a weak repeal for a terrible resolution.

You're entitled to your opinion, of course, but the gnomes exist to serve the Assembly, not the other way around. I'm sure that staffing all those committees is "difficult" for them, but that's their job; we don't advocate repealing all the resolutions that create committees just to alleviate the stress on the committee gnomes. Further, the gnomes may be quite efficient, but they cannot reconfigure the physical and natural laws of the universe.

Also, "common knowledge" about commercial transactions does not equate to evidence that an externally imposed clock somehow improves international trade, which is what this resolution claims it does. The onus is on the resolution author to prove his or her nation's case. If you have something that would strengthen the repeal, please let me know. Otherwise, given that the target of this repeal effort is an absolute travesty, Krioval is not inclined to write a book to repeal it.

Henrik Søgård
Imperial Chiefdom of Krioval

OOC: Really? "The gnomes might suffer without it?"

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:33 am

Krioval wrote:You're entitled to your opinion, of course, but the gnomes exist to serve the Assembly, not the other way around. I'm sure that staffing all those committees is "difficult" for them, but that's their job; we don't advocate repealing all the resolutions that create committees just to alleviate the stress on the committee gnomes. Further, the gnomes may be quite efficient, but they cannot reconfigure the physical and natural laws of the universe.

OOC: Really? "The gnomes might suffer without it?"

Actually, the Gnomes seem to have vanished _
•71 days ago: The Legislation-Changing, Proposal-Eating Little Freaks of the WA Gnomes ceased to exist.

So I wonder who has been handling compliance, and the rest of the WA's bureuacratic affairs, for the past 10 weeks?

^_^
Last edited by Bears Armed on Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Omigodtheykilledkenny
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 14, 2005

Postby Omigodtheykilledkenny » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:45 am

Unibot II wrote:This would cause a mass dispute over who is the observatory, honestly -- especially considering some member-nations were unfairly excluded from the process of been picking as the observatory because their nation exists on an asteroid, space station or other celestial object that isn't a planet.

I heartily agree - this repeal isn't nearly space-wankish enough.

...and let us not forget the resolution's exclusionary notion that all planets have 24-hour days! :roll:
Omigodtheykilledkenny FAQ | "The Biggest Sovereigntist IN THE WORLD" - Chester Pearson

Democratic Koyro
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 13, 2011
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Democratic Koyro » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:14 am

Support, Universal Standard Time Act is quite honestly ridiculous
THERMOBARIC THERMITE

Eireann Fae
Minister

Founded: Oct 15, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Eireann Fae » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:47 pm

Alexandra rises and faces the Hirotan Ambassador. "You could simply use the number of seconds passed since X - say, the formation of the WA - using the standard passage of time at the WAHQ. If, miraculously enough, the WAHQ is repealed, time will still go on where it once stood, and ntpds can still be run on their servers in an otherwise empty building." The girl smiles, and addresses the Assembly at large. "We do see the inherent advantage in synchronizing time throughout the WA, but this must be done correctly, and the resolution that is soon to pass is not, in our opinion, done correctly. We would support a repeal that simply states 'REPEALS [that resolution]'. But of course, do what you must to gain popular support."

Unibot II
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Unibot II » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:52 pm

Omigodtheykilledkenny wrote:I heartily agree - this repeal isn't nearly space-wankish enough.

Wank n.1. To masturbate (male).
Wank n.2. To play the game in a different way than Omigodtheykilledkenny plays the game or believes it should be played. :roll:

Krioval
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Krioval » Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:29 pm

In any case, Krioval opposes the "Universal Standard Time Act" because it does not enhance international trade or diplomacy in any way that states are not already doing. We think that a single short clause addressing the issue of technology is sufficient, especially given a minority of nations have technology that falls outside of the modern industrial level.

Henrik Søgård

Omigodtheykilledkenny
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 14, 2005

Postby Omigodtheykilledkenny » Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:31 pm

Unibot II wrote:*snip*

SEE ALSO: DEMONLORDENIGMA, n.
Last edited by Omigodtheykilledkenny on Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Omigodtheykilledkenny FAQ | "The Biggest Sovereigntist IN THE WORLD" - Chester Pearson

Krioval
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Krioval » Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:28 pm

The Imperial Chiefdom has submitted this proposal for a test run.

Henrik Søgård

Otrenia
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 21, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Otrenia » Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:29 am

As the author of resolution #127 that pretty much prompted the creation of the "insta-repeal" I must say that it is sad that these are still happening. At least his Excellency the ambassador should have the decency to call it a regular "repeal".

Mousebumples
Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Mousebumples » Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:49 am

Approved!
Leader of the Mouse-a-rific Mousetastic Moderator Mousedom of Mousebumples
Past WA Delegate for Europeia & Monkey Island
Proud Member of UNOG
I'm an "adorably marvelous NatSov" - Mallorea and Riva
GA Resolutions (sorted by category) | Why Repeal? | Reppy's Sig Workshop

Mahaj WA Seat
Minister

Founded: Nov 03, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Mahaj WA Seat » Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:41 am

what happens if after this repeal passes the other repeal comes up to vote?
Member of The South and Osiris
Representing Mahaj in the World Assembly.
The Mahaj Factbook.

Author of Missing Minors Act (Repealed) and In Regards to Cloning
Mike the Progressive wrote:
Brogavia wrote:Fuck bitches, get money.
You shall be my god.

Georgism wrote:Fuck off you cunt, I'm always nice.

NERVUN wrote:Yog zap!

Cool Egg Sandwich wrote:I am the Urinater..... I'll be back.

Jedi Utopians wrote:5) Now, saying that a nation couldn't be part of OPEC would be bold. AIPEC sounds like something you'd want to get checked out by a physician for.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives