NATION

PASSWORD

Ron Pauls economic solution? A Southern Secessionist.

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

User avatar
The Merchant Republics
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 8503
Founded: Oct 25, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby The Merchant Republics » Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:16 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
The Merchant Republics wrote:Am I not mistaken that 1880-1895ish we were on a Bimettalic currency?

Really it doesn't matter to me, I'd say the mere fact that humanity was on the gold standard since the dawn of markets and that fiat currency historically has quickly failed is enough to say something, Modern markets keep the fiat only because of the constant increase of wealth matching the rise of inflation.

But in 1900 we went onto just gold. Like I said to Mercator, what about all the ups and downs after then?

Gold isn't perfect. It doesn't stop the business cycle, just move it towards a better status quo and enables faster economic growth in the boom times.

However the recessions on gold were quite light and usually kept along with relatively long periods of economic stability, most of them were momentary panics caused not by monetary infractions but significant market changes and disasters.
Your Resident Gentleman and Libertarian; presently living in the People's Republic of China, which is if anyone from the Party asks "The Best and Also Only China".
Christian Libertarian Autarchist: like an Anarchist but with more "Aut".
Social: Authoritarian/Libertarian (-8.55)
Economic: Left/Right (7.55)
We are the premiere of civilization, the beacon of liberty, the font of prosperity and the ever illuminating light of culture in this hellish universe.
In short: Elitist Wicked Cultured Free Market Anarchists living in a Diesel-Deco World.

Now Fearing: Mandarin Lessons from Cantonese teachers.
Factbook (FT)|Art Gallery|Embassy Program

User avatar
Greed and Death
Khan of Spam
 
Posts: 53383
Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:17 pm

The Cat-Tribe wrote:
Maurepas wrote:
The SPLC is a corrupt and dying organization in and of itself, unfortunately.
When I was a teenager I actually signed up for a newsletter from the LoS(I was looking "rebellious" to join), they're actually kind of dumb as hell, like, one of the things they bitched about was how fewer people were saying "Coke" for all flavour of sodas than there used to be. Like it was some sort of cultural thing to protect.

All in all, that he joined the group after his teenage years makes me doubt his intelligence.


Explain please, as this is not true to my knowledge.

I hope not I applied for an internship with them.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

User avatar
Ashmoria
Post Czar
 
Posts: 46718
Founded: Mar 19, 2004
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Ashmoria » Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:19 pm

greed and death wrote:
The Cat-Tribe wrote:
Explain please, as this is not true to my knowledge.

I hope not I applied for an internship with them.

are you gonna get it?
whatever

User avatar
Maurepas
Post Czar
 
Posts: 36403
Founded: Apr 17, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Maurepas » Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:20 pm

The Cat-Tribe wrote:
Maurepas wrote:
The SPLC is a corrupt and dying organization in and of itself, unfortunately.
When I was a teenager I actually signed up for a newsletter from the LoS(I was looking "rebellious" to join), they're actually kind of dumb as hell, like, one of the things they bitched about was how fewer people were saying "Coke" for all flavour of sodas than there used to be. Like it was some sort of cultural thing to protect.

All in all, that he joined the group after his teenage years makes me doubt his intelligence.


Explain please, as this is not true to my knowledge.

It isn't, I realize I was confusing the Southern Christian Leadership Conference(SCLC), with the SPLC. I was referring to an interview on NPR with Bernice King, where she described her problems reforming the organization as she kept running into nepotism and scandals.

User avatar
Farnhamia
Game Moderator
 
Posts: 110835
Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Farnhamia » Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:20 pm

Ashmoria wrote:
greed and death wrote:I hope not I applied for an internship with them.

are you gonna get it?

If he pays them enough money ...
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

User avatar
Ashmoria
Post Czar
 
Posts: 46718
Founded: Mar 19, 2004
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Ashmoria » Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:23 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
Ashmoria wrote:are you gonna get it?

If he pays them enough money ...

is that the corrupt part?

G&D doesnt have money does he?
whatever

User avatar
Ashmoria
Post Czar
 
Posts: 46718
Founded: Mar 19, 2004
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Ashmoria » Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:24 pm

Maurepas wrote:
The Cat-Tribe wrote:
Explain please, as this is not true to my knowledge.

It isn't, I realize I was confusing the Southern Christian Leadership Conference(SCLC), with the SPLC. I was referring to an interview on NPR with Bernice King, where she described her problems reforming the organization as she kept running into nepotism and scandals.

ohhhhh i can see where that might be the case.
whatever

User avatar
Greed and Death
Khan of Spam
 
Posts: 53383
Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:24 pm

Ashmoria wrote:
greed and death wrote:I hope not I applied for an internship with them.

are you gonna get it?

Well it is very competitive. I will be competing with people from Harvard and Yale and the like. My Main advantage is I am a veteran and from the South. So we will see. Sadly I do not know if i can accept if I do get it. I have a kid and bills and such and they are not paying. But if I do I will see what sort of deal I can work out a loan or something to cover my expenses as the position is pretty prestigious.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

User avatar
Ashmoria
Post Czar
 
Posts: 46718
Founded: Mar 19, 2004
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Ashmoria » Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:25 pm

greed and death wrote:
Ashmoria wrote:are you gonna get it?

Well it is very competitive. I will be competing with people from Harvard and Yale and the like. My Main advantage is I am a veteran and from the South. So we will see. Sadly I do not know if i can accept if I do get it. I have a kid and bills and such and they are not paying. But if I do I will see what sort of deal I can work out a loan or something to cover my expenses as the position is pretty prestigious.

you are going to need all the prestige you can get. the law is a tough business these days.
whatever

User avatar
Greed and Death
Khan of Spam
 
Posts: 53383
Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:25 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
Ashmoria wrote:are you gonna get it?

If he pays them enough money ...

I do not think the Southern Poverty Law Center takes bribes.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

User avatar
Maurepas
Post Czar
 
Posts: 36403
Founded: Apr 17, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Maurepas » Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:27 pm

Ashmoria wrote:
Maurepas wrote:It isn't, I realize I was confusing the Southern Christian Leadership Conference(SCLC), with the SPLC. I was referring to an interview on NPR with Bernice King, where she described her problems reforming the organization as she kept running into nepotism and scandals.

ohhhhh i can see where that might be the case.

If you're interested, it's not the interview, but it's the same subject matter:

http://www.blackamericaweb.com/?q=artic ... news/25135

User avatar
Greed and Death
Khan of Spam
 
Posts: 53383
Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:28 pm

Maurepas wrote:
Ashmoria wrote:ohhhhh i can see where that might be the case.

If you're interested, it's not the interview, but it's the same subject matter:

http://www.blackamericaweb.com/?q=artic ... news/25135

For clarification I would never apply for an internship with the Southern Christian Leadership Conference.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

User avatar
Ashmoria
Post Czar
 
Posts: 46718
Founded: Mar 19, 2004
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Ashmoria » Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:30 pm

greed and death wrote:
Maurepas wrote:If you're interested, it's not the interview, but it's the same subject matter:

http://www.blackamericaweb.com/?q=artic ... news/25135

For clarification I would never apply for an internship with the Southern Christian Leadership Conference.

worth the clarification but it would have surprised me very much if you had.
whatever

User avatar
Greed and Death
Khan of Spam
 
Posts: 53383
Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:31 pm

Ashmoria wrote:
greed and death wrote:Well it is very competitive. I will be competing with people from Harvard and Yale and the like. My Main advantage is I am a veteran and from the South. So we will see. Sadly I do not know if i can accept if I do get it. I have a kid and bills and such and they are not paying. But if I do I will see what sort of deal I can work out a loan or something to cover my expenses as the position is pretty prestigious.

you are going to need all the prestige you can get. the law is a tough business these days.

Tell me about it, Ive spent the last week trying to figure out an argument for an area of law I have no clue about just in the hopes I do well on a moot court competition. I still am pretty freaking clueless, as it is a finer point of the 14th and 4th amendment.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

User avatar
Greed and Death
Khan of Spam
 
Posts: 53383
Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:33 pm

Ashmoria wrote:
greed and death wrote:For clarification I would never apply for an internship with the Southern Christian Leadership Conference.

worth the clarification but it would have surprised me very much if you had.

Depends on if you have experienced a full range of my views or only a few points. A select few points people will take me as a conservative.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

User avatar
Ashmoria
Post Czar
 
Posts: 46718
Founded: Mar 19, 2004
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Ashmoria » Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:34 pm

greed and death wrote:
Ashmoria wrote:worth the clarification but it would have surprised me very much if you had.

Depends on if you have experienced a full range of my views or only a few points. A select few points people will take me as a conservative.

well

if the SCLC had a law internship that paid well and was prestigious i wouldnt be all that surprised if you gave it a go.

but in general religious law would not seem to be your thing.
whatever

User avatar
Cerralvo Island
Envoy
 
Posts: 226
Founded: Jun 30, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Cerralvo Island » Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:36 pm

Ron Paul calls DiLorenzo as a witness.
DiLorenzo has supported southern secession (wouldnt you liberal yaps like this? You could implement your liberal progressive pipe dreams and watch the country turn into a socialist shithole) and criticized Lincoln.
Therefore, Ron Paul is a racist, anti-Lincoln (thats a crime apparently), secessionist (and these opinions mean the testimony against the Fed is invalid).
QED

LETS GO NON SEQUITORS! LETS GO!

http://krugman-in-wonderland.blogspot.c ... o-and.html
Last edited by Cerralvo Island on Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Greed and Death
Khan of Spam
 
Posts: 53383
Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:36 pm

Ashmoria wrote:
greed and death wrote:Depends on if you have experienced a full range of my views or only a few points. A select few points people will take me as a conservative.

well

if the SCLC had a law internship that paid well and was prestigious i wouldnt be all that surprised if you gave it a go.

but in general religious law would not seem to be your thing.

There are somethings i will not do for money and fame. Advancing religions groups is one of them.
Last edited by Greed and Death on Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

User avatar
Ashmoria
Post Czar
 
Posts: 46718
Founded: Mar 19, 2004
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Ashmoria » Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:40 pm

greed and death wrote:
Ashmoria wrote:well

if the SCLC had a law internship that paid well and was prestigious i wouldnt be all that surprised if you gave it a go.

but in general religious law would not seem to be your thing.

There are somethings i will not do for money and fame. Advancing religions groups is one of them.

even if you could help the leader get off on 51 counts of ....something bad? that could be quite a coup.
whatever

User avatar
Mercator Terra
Minister
 
Posts: 3320
Founded: Nov 14, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Mercator Terra » Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:06 pm

The Merchant Republics wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:But in 1900 we went onto just gold. Like I said to Mercator, what about all the ups and downs after then?

Gold isn't perfect. It doesn't stop the business cycle, just move it towards a better status quo and enables faster economic growth in the boom times.

However the recessions on gold were quite light and usually kept along with relatively long periods of economic stability, most of them were momentary panics caused not by monetary infractions but significant market changes and disasters.

Gold has nothing to do with the business cycle.
Vecherd wrote:
Linperia wrote:how can a market be free if we got participants with very few money and with a lot.
but maybe a equal market would lead to a free society.


A society that puts equality ahead of freedom will end up with neither.

Amoral Stirnerite Individualist Market Anarchist

“Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man.” Friedrich Nietzsche
“Whoever will be free must make himself free. Freedom is no fairy gift to fall into a man's lap. What is freedom? To have the will to be responsible for one's self.”-Max Stirner

User avatar
Patriqvinia
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1336
Founded: Oct 08, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Patriqvinia » Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:28 pm

Cerralvo Island wrote:Ron Paul calls DiLorenzo as a witness.
DiLorenzo has supported southern secession (wouldnt you liberal yaps like this? You could implement your liberal progressive pipe dreams and watch the country turn into a socialist shithole) and criticized Lincoln.
Therefore, Ron Paul is a racist, anti-Lincoln (thats a crime apparently), secessionist (and these opinions mean the testimony against the Fed is invalid).
QED

LETS GO NON SEQUITORS! LETS GO!

http://krugman-in-wonderland.blogspot.c ... o-and.html

:lol:
Диявол любить ховатися за хрест
+: Voluntarism/panarchism.
-: Authoritarian stuff.
Economic: +8.44 right
Social: +8.89 libertarian
Foreign-Policy: +10 non-interventionist
Cultural: +2.24 liberal

*This anti-subsidy, anti-IP persona brought to you by your friends at Monsanto[TM][R] and Koch Industries[TM][R]!*

User avatar
The Merchant Republics
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 8503
Founded: Oct 25, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby The Merchant Republics » Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:36 pm

Mercator Terra wrote:
The Merchant Republics wrote:Gold isn't perfect. It doesn't stop the business cycle, just move it towards a better status quo and enables faster economic growth in the boom times.

However the recessions on gold were quite light and usually kept along with relatively long periods of economic stability, most of them were momentary panics caused not by monetary infractions but significant market changes and disasters.

Gold has nothing to do with the business cycle.

In the same sense that any monetary policy affects business cycle, gold indeed has something to do with the business cycle.
Your Resident Gentleman and Libertarian; presently living in the People's Republic of China, which is if anyone from the Party asks "The Best and Also Only China".
Christian Libertarian Autarchist: like an Anarchist but with more "Aut".
Social: Authoritarian/Libertarian (-8.55)
Economic: Left/Right (7.55)
We are the premiere of civilization, the beacon of liberty, the font of prosperity and the ever illuminating light of culture in this hellish universe.
In short: Elitist Wicked Cultured Free Market Anarchists living in a Diesel-Deco World.

Now Fearing: Mandarin Lessons from Cantonese teachers.
Factbook (FT)|Art Gallery|Embassy Program

User avatar
Mercator Terra
Minister
 
Posts: 3320
Founded: Nov 14, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Mercator Terra » Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:39 pm

The Merchant Republics wrote:
Mercator Terra wrote:Gold has nothing to do with the business cycle.

In the same sense that any monetary policy affects business cycle, gold indeed has something to do with the business cycle.

Very little. The problem is artificially low interest rates.
Vecherd wrote:
Linperia wrote:how can a market be free if we got participants with very few money and with a lot.
but maybe a equal market would lead to a free society.


A society that puts equality ahead of freedom will end up with neither.

Amoral Stirnerite Individualist Market Anarchist

“Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man.” Friedrich Nietzsche
“Whoever will be free must make himself free. Freedom is no fairy gift to fall into a man's lap. What is freedom? To have the will to be responsible for one's self.”-Max Stirner

User avatar
The Merchant Republics
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 8503
Founded: Oct 25, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby The Merchant Republics » Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:16 pm

Mercator Terra wrote:
The Merchant Republics wrote:In the same sense that any monetary policy affects business cycle, gold indeed has something to do with the business cycle.

Very little. The problem is artificially low interest rates.

Yes. Primarily that. However artificially low interest rates have a genesis in over-inflated currency.
Your Resident Gentleman and Libertarian; presently living in the People's Republic of China, which is if anyone from the Party asks "The Best and Also Only China".
Christian Libertarian Autarchist: like an Anarchist but with more "Aut".
Social: Authoritarian/Libertarian (-8.55)
Economic: Left/Right (7.55)
We are the premiere of civilization, the beacon of liberty, the font of prosperity and the ever illuminating light of culture in this hellish universe.
In short: Elitist Wicked Cultured Free Market Anarchists living in a Diesel-Deco World.

Now Fearing: Mandarin Lessons from Cantonese teachers.
Factbook (FT)|Art Gallery|Embassy Program

User avatar
The Southron Nation
Diplomat
 
Posts: 712
Founded: Nov 02, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The Southron Nation » Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:20 am

Mercator Terra wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:Southron is Cobhanglia, is he?

Quite possibly but I wouldnt know


Eh? What is Cobhanglia?
The Confederate Republics of the Southron Nation
What if the South had been recognized by the Union?

Aka Distruzio

Anarcho-Monarchism is an anti-egalitarian, anti-democratic, anti-statist, and anti-corporatist, conservative-libertarian movement that stresses tradition, responsibility, liberty, virtue, localism, market anarchy, voluntary segregation and personalism, along with familial, religious, and regional identity founded upon self-ownership and personified by a totem monarch.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Andsed, Anomeca, Dexterra, Ethel mermania, Fractalnavel, Galloism, LFPD Soveriegn, New Ryansville, North Cromch, Pedda, Rusozak, Spirit of Hope, The Massed Gadgets Of Hercules, The Municipalities of Antarctica, United States of Nachos, Valyxias, Washington-Columbia, Xind

Advertisement

Remove ads