NATION

PASSWORD

Converted Christian Fears Death by Muslim Parents.

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

So, what'da ya' think?

THANK THE LORD- I'm glad she converted, her parents need to be put in jail for what they're even considering!
18%
HORRIBLE- I'm not religious, but I still think what their parents are considering is wrong, action must be taken.
38%
NEUTRAL- Neutral opinion.
3%
WHY!?- I don't think she should have converted, but her parents still shouldn't take it to such extreme measures.
4%
WHY CONCEAL IT?- She shouldn't have hid it for four years.
4%
NOT MY PROBLEMO'- I shouldn't have to tell her parents how to act, they're in charge of her actions. They're in controll.
2%
PFFT...RELIGION- Muslims, Christians, I don't see why this girl should tolerate either belief. (post thoughts on actions in forum)
18%
OTHER- Other opinion because Rob can't think of every damn opinion.
12%

Total votes : 120

Rhodmhire
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 05, 2009
Ex-Nation

Converted Christian Fears Death by Muslim Parents.

Postby Rhodmhire » Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:31 pm

Rifqa Bary

Atlas Shrugs

Rifqa Bary was threatened by her Muslim father with an "honor killing." Apperantly the girl's family has gone many generations without even knowing of Jesus. She is apperantly the first to convert, resulting in the killing being "honorable."

An Ohio teenager who secretly converted from Islam to Christianity has fled to Florida because she claims her father threatened her with an "honor killing" for abandoning her Muslim upbringing.

The girl's father has gone to Florida where she sought refuge with a church that she found online. Although the father insists he is not a menace to his daughter, a Florida court has placed the 17-year-old girl in foster care until her claims can be investigated.

Fathima Rifqa Bary, who goes by Rifqa, left home in New Albany, Ohio, last month and hopped on a bus to Orlando to meet with husband and wife pastors Blake and Beverly Lorenz, who she met through a Facebook prayer group for the couple's non-denominational Global Revolution Church.

"When she came to our house, she told us her parents would not report her missing," Blake Lorenz told ABCNews.com.

But they did report their daughter missing and the disappearance reached local news stations and the National Center for Missing & Exploited Children.

Lorenz said Rifqa, a native of Sri Lanka, had secretly converted from Islam to Christianity four years ago, but her religion was only discovered recently. Rifqa had snuck out to an area church where, according to Lorenz, she had an "incredible encounter with Jesus."

Lorenz said Rifqa was so moved she posted about it on her Facebook page, writings that would later be seen by her friends from her family's mosque and reported to her father, Mohamed Bary.

"That's when he threatened to kill her for the first time," Lorenz said, adding that he didn't know on how many other occasions that threat had been made.

The battle finally came to a head about a month ago, he said, when her mother found a Christian book in the house while Bary was out of town. Rifqa's mother, he said, threatened to tell her father.

"She did say she was dead to her" if she didn't renounce her Christian faith, Lorenz said.

Rifqa confirmed to ABC's Orlando affiliate WFTV that she believed her father would kill her.

"They have to kill me because I'm a Christian. It's an honor [killing]. If they love me more than God, then they have to kill me," she explained.

Terrifed and fearing she would be the victim of an honor killing, she got on a bus and borrowed a cell phone to contact Beverly Lorenz who she had been communicating with after finding the Lorenzes' church on Facebook.

So, do you think she needs to go back to her parents? Do you think it's just following religious code? Do the parents have more controll in this situation? Do you think she should have converted in the first place?
Last edited by Rhodmhire on Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Part of me grew up here. But part of growing up is leaving parts of ourselves behind.

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Founded: Aug 24, 2007
Ex-Nation

Re: Converted Christian Fears Death by Muslim Parents.

Postby Conserative Morality » Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:33 pm

Arrested would be a good start, seeing if they're guilty of threatening her, jail time if found guilty, et cetera...
On the hate train. Choo choo, bitches. Bi-Polar. Proud Crypto-Fascist and Turbo Progressive. Dirty Étatist. Lowly Humanities Major. NSG's Best Liberal.
Caesar and Imperator of RWDT
Got a blog up again. || An NS Writing Discussion

Gauthier
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Gauthier » Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:36 pm

Yeah, the family's got some serious issues and "Honor" Killings are almost always chauvinistic in nature. The girl has a right to whatever religion she wants to follow and the threat of physical violence should be taken seriously given how severe and rampant "Honor" attacks can be in the Middle East.

That said, it won't be long before Mitty or someone else turns this into Yet Another Ebil Mozlemz Rant.

*sigh*
Crimes committed by Muslims will be a pan-Islamic plot and proof of Islam's inherent evil. On the other hand crimes committed by non-Muslims will merely be the acts of loners who do not represent their belief system at all.
The probability of one's participation in homosexual acts is directly proportional to one's public disdain and disgust for homosexuals.
If a political figure makes an accusation of wrongdoing without evidence, odds are probable that the accuser or an associate thereof has in fact committed the very same act, possibly to a worse degree.
Where is your God-Emperor now?

Rhodmhire
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Rhodmhire » Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:38 pm

Gauthier wrote:Yeah, the family's got some serious issues and "Honor" Killings are almost always chauvinistic in nature. The girl has a right to whatever religion she wants to follow and the threat of physical violence should be taken seriously given how severe and rampant "Honor" attacks can be in the Middle East.

That said, it won't be long before Mitty or someone else turns this into Yet Another Ebil Mozlemz Rant.

*sigh*

Ohh...I've never seen a live Ebil Mozlemz Rant. This'll be fun...well for me anyways.
Part of me grew up here. But part of growing up is leaving parts of ourselves behind.

JuNii
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 22, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby JuNii » Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:39 pm

Conserative Morality wrote:Arrested would be a good start, seeing if they're guilty of threatening her, jail time if found guilty, et cetera...

actually, Investigated is the better place to start. ;)
on the other hand... I have another set of fingers.

Unscramble these words...1) PNEIS. 2)HTIELR 3) NGGERI 4) BUTTSXE
1) SPINE. 2) LITHER 3)GINGER 4)SUBTEXT

Rhodmhire
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Rhodmhire » Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:42 pm

JuNii wrote:
Conserative Morality wrote:Arrested would be a good start, seeing if they're guilty of threatening her, jail time if found guilty, et cetera...

actually, Investigated is the better place to start. ;)

I second that. As long as she's not back in Ohio with her parents for the moment.

Kantria
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 06, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Kantria » Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:44 pm

Rhodmhire wrote:Do you think it's just following religious code?

Is what just following religious code? Honor killing? Yeah, maybe—I don't know—but I do know that it doesn't fucking matter, and U.S. law would agree. Having a religious motivation for murder doesn't change the fact that it's murder.

So, do you think she needs to go back to her parents? [...] Do the parents have more controll in this situation?

Hell no, not if they actually are threatening her. Let her remain in foster care as the investigation proceeds.

Do you think she should have converted in the first place?

This isn't even a relevant question. It doesn't matter whether she "should have" converted or not—she had every right to do so, regardless what her parents want, especially at age 17.

Apperantly the girl's family has gone many generations without even knowing of Jesus.

Isn't Jesus still a very important figure to Muslims? I think they would know about him.
Last edited by Kantria on Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Straight, white, cis male U.S. American
Secular humanist
Social democrat
Transhumanist
Techno-utopian
Atheist (6.9)
Registered Democrat

I reserve the right to compromise, change my mind and otherwise ignore ideals in favor of pragmatic, effective solutions that benefit society. Small steps forward are still progress.

Maurepas
Post Czar

Founded: Apr 17, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Maurepas » Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:45 pm

I heard this on the radio...and my immediate thought was " :palm: , religious people"...

Why would anyone let fictional concepts do this to anyone...boggles the mind...
Last edited by Maurepas on Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Genezolo
Secretary

Founded: Jun 02, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Genezolo » Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:45 pm

How could the girl have gone years without knowing about Jesus, isn't he a prophet in Islam?

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Founded: Aug 24, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:46 pm

JuNii wrote:actually, Investigated is the better place to start. ;)

I skipped a step. Small mistake, considering I have no effect on the case. :p
On the hate train. Choo choo, bitches. Bi-Polar. Proud Crypto-Fascist and Turbo Progressive. Dirty Étatist. Lowly Humanities Major. NSG's Best Liberal.
Caesar and Imperator of RWDT
Got a blog up again. || An NS Writing Discussion

Gauthier
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Gauthier » Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:48 pm

Rhodmhire wrote:Ohh...I've never seen a live Ebil Mozlemz Rant. This'll be fun...well for me anyways.

A thread that has the words "Fear," "Death" and "Muslim" in its title will guarantee an EMR before it closes. Might not happen right away, but it's inevitable. Most likely from Mitty and Sod, even more likely from both.
Crimes committed by Muslims will be a pan-Islamic plot and proof of Islam's inherent evil. On the other hand crimes committed by non-Muslims will merely be the acts of loners who do not represent their belief system at all.
The probability of one's participation in homosexual acts is directly proportional to one's public disdain and disgust for homosexuals.
If a political figure makes an accusation of wrongdoing without evidence, odds are probable that the accuser or an associate thereof has in fact committed the very same act, possibly to a worse degree.

Maurepas
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Maurepas » Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:48 pm

Kantria wrote:
Isn't Jesus still a very important figure to Muslims? I think they would know about him.

Yeah, but they dont know him that way, ;)

Takaram
Powerbroker

Founded: Feb 23, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Takaram » Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:54 pm

Maurepas wrote:
Kantria wrote:

Get a room.

Gauthier
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Gauthier » Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:56 pm

Maurepas wrote:
Kantria wrote:

It kind of puts a whole new perspective on The Last Supper huh?

Maurepas
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Maurepas » Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:57 pm

Takaram wrote:
Maurepas wrote:
Kantria wrote:

Get a room.

Im on a Message Board, does that count? :p

Kantria
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Kantria » Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:57 pm

Maurepas wrote:
Kantria wrote:

Ohhh. Hee hee. Wink, wink. Nudge, nudge.
Secular humanist
Social democrat
Transhumanist
Techno-utopian
Atheist (6.9)
Registered Democrat

I reserve the right to compromise, change my mind and otherwise ignore ideals in favor of pragmatic, effective solutions that benefit society. Small steps forward are still progress.

Maurepas
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Maurepas » Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:57 pm

Gauthier wrote:
Maurepas wrote:
Kantria wrote:

It kind of puts a whole new perspective on The Last Supper huh?

Nah, we all know what was really going on there, *looks at Mary Magdalene* :lol2:

Rhodmhire
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Rhodmhire » Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:59 pm

Conserative Morality wrote:
JuNii wrote:actually, Investigated is the better place to start. ;)

I skipped a step. Small mistake, considering I have no effect on the case. :p

So you meant?

1. Investigate
2. Jail
3. ??
4. Profit

I understand now.

Rhodmhire
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Rhodmhire » Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:01 pm

Kantria wrote:
Maurepas wrote:
Kantria wrote:

Ohhh. Hee hee. Wink, wink. Nudge, nudge.

*prays to Hypnot...er...Jesus* Please no Family Guy threadjack.

Rhodmhire
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Rhodmhire » Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:03 pm

Gauthier wrote:
Rhodmhire wrote:Ohh...I've never seen a live Ebil Mozlemz Rant. This'll be fun...well for me anyways.

A thread that has the words "Fear," "Death" and "Muslim" in its title will guarantee an EMR before it closes. Might not happen right away, but it's inevitable. Most likely from Mitty and Sod, even more likely from both.

I know, I've seen your sig.

*grabs popcorn and waits*

Anti-Social Darwinism
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 18, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Anti-Social Darwinism » Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:50 pm

Been there, done that.

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=12206
NSG's resident curmudgeon.

Add 6,771 posts from the old NSG.

Kantria
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Kantria » Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:53 pm

Anti-Social Darwinism wrote:Been there, done that.

If that's the real story, then that's all the more reason for an investigation to take place. Hopefully, they'll get to the bottom of it.
Secular humanist
Social democrat
Transhumanist
Techno-utopian
Atheist (6.9)
Registered Democrat

Rhodmhire
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Rhodmhire » Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:58 pm

Fuck, I knew looking up her name alone wasn't enough.

And I did look up her name in General, can't blame me for attempting to find out if a similar thread existed.

Anti-Social Darwinism
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 18, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Anti-Social Darwinism » Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:00 pm

Kantria wrote:

If that's the real story, then that's all the more reason for an investigation to take place. Hopefully, they'll get to the bottom of it.

Of course, but everyone is assuming that her parents are "teh ebil Muzlims" when this could all just be teen angst. We've all heard about those kids who've accused their parents of abuse, when all that's happened is that they've been grounded for good cause.

Maybe her parents are as bad as she claims, but maybe, just maybe, she's getting even with them because they told her she couldn't have or do something and she's the one with the problem.

All I want is a balanced approach.
NSG's resident curmudgeon.

Add 6,771 posts from the old NSG.

Spredronia
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 17, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Spredronia » Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:00 pm

I have HORRIBLE and OTHER. I am religious, but I do consider what her parents are doing is punishable for jail time.
(.-:-[_____]-:-) = PSP
([______])
(-:- . . -:-) PSPGo!
Taken from the Playstation.com forums. Please don't hurt me. If you want me to remove them, just say so.
Epic Thread: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=59092
Member of the CoNS
If Twilight came to life, 50% of the world would scream in joy. The other 48% would kill themselves. If you are one of the 1% who would grab a shotty and fight to the end, C+P. Yes, it's copied, no, I don't care.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General