NATION

PASSWORD

The Kilrany FT OOC Thread

A staging-point for declarations of war and other major diplomatic events. [In character]
Kilrany
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 04, 2005
Ex-Nation

The Kilrany FT OOC Thread

Postby Kilrany » Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:08 pm

Nothing really special here, thought that instead of making a separate OOC thread for every single IC thread I start, I’d just make one of those all purpose ones to keep the clutter in since it’s become clear it’s kind of needed. So please keep any OOC questions and arguments relating to any of my threads or the Kilrany in particular, right in here, as well as any notifications of departure or delay regarding a thread should real life issues take priority.

Minor note, I work upwards of eight hours a day six days a week, during which time, while I have access to a laptop to write, I do not have access to the internet, so if I don’t respond in a couple hours, I’m not ignoring you. I will get back to you within twenty-four hours at most, unless I’m carted off to the hospital or morgue. Both are kind of possible with my job, heh.

Active threads
None at this time

Inactive threads - these would be ones I wish to continue, but currently require motivation, or willing participants
Extreme Measures
The Return of Svyet
Into the Fire
No One Ever Comes in Peace
The Arcani Corporation
Dismantling the Shield
The Murmur of Discontent?
Hunting the Gifted
Last edited by Kilrany on Fri Jul 02, 2021 10:07 pm, edited 11 times in total.
English is a language which chases other languages down foetid alleyways, pummels them unconscious, and rifles their belongings for vocabulary. - Russkya
(MT) The Kilrany Empire - Emperor Ivan Semyonovich Sviatov
(FT) The Kilrany - The Quinquevirate (Council of five)
Demonym: No alternate, Kilrany is the catch all term
Pronunciation: Kill-Raa-nee
General Purpose Kilrany FT OOC Thread

Morningstar Coalition
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 23, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Morningstar Coalition » Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:27 pm

Hey pal, you might add a list of your active RP's to this thread in the OP, maybe even add a list of past RPs.

Keep up the good work and don't lose hope!

Bloody typo demons! I know you set them lose on me Bryn!
Dammit! Not again!
Last edited by Morningstar Coalition on Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FT: The Morningstar Coalition
Morningstar OOC Thread | Dossier of Embassies | The Morningstar Grand Conclave IC Thread/OOC Thread - The multi-faction ruling body of Morningstar meets here, | The Phoenix Initiative - Morningstar's bid for "immortality".
My sigged quotes got too long for Nationstates' signature limits, so now I'm collecting all future sig quotes HERE.

Bryn Shander
Ambassador

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Bryn Shander » Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:36 pm

Morningstar Coalition wrote:Keep up the good work and don't loose hope!

>loose

Anyway, maybe you should try a Forumspring account like the one I have linked in my sig. In theory it'll be a convenient way for people to ask questions about something without it becoming a debate or argument.
The Jannarii Empire | Founder of the Hermes Alliance
Bryn Shander is the capital city. Jannath is the homeworld. The adjective for the people is Jannarii, while the adjective for the people that live in the capital and the ethnic group that lived in the Kingdom of Bryn Shander before planetary unification is Shanderan. Shanderan is also the name of the language spoken in the Jannarii Empire.
FT Map of the Milky Way | Qustions and Answers concerning the Jannarii Empire.
NS Futuretech on Facebook | NS Futuretech on IRC | NS Balls | NS Trainers
IBNFTW local 8492

Kilrany
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Kilrany » Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:57 pm

*Shrugs* I'll see how this goes. At the very least it also serves to let others easily see what's being discussed. I may also add a list when I'm feeling a little better, and can stand to look a my computer for more then a few minutes.
English is a language which chases other languages down foetid alleyways, pummels them unconscious, and rifles their belongings for vocabulary. - Russkya

Sertian
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Sertian » Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:31 am

To not clutter up your IC thread (or to add another post to the arguments thread) I thought I'd answer your question here.

The shields capture or redirect EM radiation (lasers, active sensors, light from the sun or stars, etc) in such a way that I don't have the physics knowledge to describe with adequate handwavium (or, hopefully soon enough, actually plausible science). So active sensors that require something to 'ping' off of the ship would view it as empty space, and to everything else based upon EM passive viewing would see it as an area of black (no light, heat, or etc from that area of space). To just passive observation, this allows the ship to blend in with the natural background of space pretty well, although stars, planets, or whatever else behind the vessel isn't visible either. At least, that's how I think it should work and how I RP it.

Of course, this doesn't count for the 'port holes' in the shields that allow for the destroyer to fire and look out of (it blocks sensors/weapons/what have you both ways). The port holes semi-randomly open and close so they don't present to easy of a target to enemy fire, but there's enough of them at a time that it should still be possible to give a good idea where the vessel is (and possible to calculate where the rest of the ship is, if you somehow calculate and fit those port hole 'pings' the previously scanned ship's hull shape and matched them up). Star occlusion sensors or particularly observant passive sensors should be also able to tell where the ship is by looking for the lack of whatever the ship is in the way of.

I hope that explained it well enough.

Also, first REAL post with this thread's true intention, yay?
Last edited by Sertian on Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Sertian Empire Factbook
Flag generously made by Rommel, A.K.A. North Mack

Kilrany
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Kilrany » Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:09 am

Alright, good to see I'm not a complete idiot, heh. I just wanted to make sure I understood your intent properly.

As for the 'REAL' intentions of the thread, I thought that was fairly obvious. *grin*

Kilrany
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Kilrany » Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:01 am

Updated to include a list of current active and inactive threads, as well as the addition of a new thread.

Huerdae
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 28, 2009
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Huerdae » Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:40 pm

I'm tempted to get involved in a few threads. Going to at least keep an eye on this one, probably also No One Ever Comes In Peace.
The Huerdaen Star Empire is an FT Nation.

Xiscapia wrote:It amused her for a time to wonder if the two fleets could not see each other, so she could imagine them blindly stabbing in the dark, like a game of tag, if tag was played with rocket launchers in pitch blackness.
[17:15] <Telros> OH HO HO, YOU THOUGHT HUE WAS OUT OF LUCK, DID YOU
[17:15] <Telros> KUKUKU, HE HAS REINFORCEMENTS
[17:15] <Telros> FOR TELROS IS REINFORCEMENTS MAN

Rezo wrote:If your battleship turrets have a smaller calibre than your penis is long, you're doing it wrong.

Kilrany
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Kilrany » Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:05 am

Just a heads up to those awaiting a reply to my current active threads. I may not be able to get to them until Monday or Tuesday. Saturday was killer at work, so I had no time to get any writing done.

Hahklallah
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 02, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Hahklallah » Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:14 am

May I join the Svyet thread?

The Ben Boys
Senator

Founded: Apr 16, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The Ben Boys » Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:45 pm

Hey, I'm willing to participate in any one of these threads. Just tell me where to go and ways I can get involved.

"Both Religion and science require a belief in God. For believers, God is in the beginning, and for physicists He is at the end of all considerations"-Max Planck

Packers Nation

Kilrany
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Kilrany » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:10 pm

Sorry for the delay, only had a quick couple minutes to check NS last night and little of it allowed for typing anything.

@Hahklallah - I'm generally still open to new players in that thread, I would however like to hear a brief outline/summary on how and where you were hoping to drop into first before I give a definitive yes.

@The Ben Boys - Well as shown, most aside from the Svyet thread aren't in an active state, and beyond that not all of them; nor that I went back and re-read a few, are actually setup in away to allow for true participation from others in what I imagine would feel like a useful manner for most. Though that may be my pessimism flaring up, heh.

Regardless, right now I'm mostly focusing on my Svyet storyline as this current thread is just the first stage of a series I hope to run, so if you want in there, I would ask for the same thing as I did with Hahklallah, if you had a good idea on how to involved though in one of my other stalled ones I would not object to getting those on the go again with a brief summary of what you'd like to do.

The Ben Boys
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Ben Boys » Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:23 pm

Kilrany wrote:Sorry for the delay, only had a quick couple minutes to check NS last night and little of it allowed for typing anything.

@Hahklallah - I'm generally still open to new players in that thread, I would however like to hear a brief outline/summary on how and where you were hoping to drop into first before I give a definitive yes.

@The Ben Boys - Well as shown, most aside from the Svyet thread aren't in an active state, and beyond that not all of them; nor that I went back and re-read a few, are actually setup in away to allow for true participation from others in what I imagine would feel like a useful manner for most. Though that may be my pessimism flaring up, heh.

Regardless, right now I'm mostly focusing on my Svyet storyline as this current thread is just the first stage of a series I hope to run, so if you want in there, I would ask for the same thing as I did with Hahklallah, if you had a good idea on how to involved though in one of my other stalled ones I would not object to getting those on the go again with a brief summary of what you'd like to do.

Okay, I was thinking something with the Arcani Corporation. My empire just got out of a millennia long war (which nearly destroyed our armed forces in a final standoff) and are in the process of "mopping up" the last enemy strongholds. Our economy is destroyed, and we are finally allowing foreign corporations to enter our nation.
A young naive businessman, who shows great promise, is hired by the Aari Guilds to be a "liaison" if you will, to Arcani. He brings along bodyguards, or course, and from there proceeds to introduce Arcani and Kilrany to the Aari Guilds, to improve relations with the company.
After he gets things started, Aari sends him secret orders, industrial spying, if you will. He does a series of small things, which lead to suspicion, but he gets away with it. All the while, he doesn't know what he's doing. Then he gets an order: organize an assassination attempt against an Arcani executive (using an EMP/computer virus or something along those lines). He refuses, and his bodyguards receive orders to kill him. They begin a cat and mouse game where more Aari mercenaries arrive to kill off everyone on the (hopefully insignificant) space station.
Just a thought, I'm open to other stuff to.

"Both Religion and science require a belief in God. For believers, God is in the beginning, and for physicists He is at the end of all considerations"-Max Planck

Packers Nation

Kilrany
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Kilrany » Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:24 pm

The Ben Boys wrote:Okay, I was thinking something with the Arcani Corporation. My empire just got out of a millennia long war (which nearly destroyed our armed forces in a final standoff) and are in the process of "mopping up" the last enemy strongholds. Our economy is destroyed, and we are finally allowing foreign corporations to enter our nation.
A young naive businessman, who shows great promise, is hired by the Aari Guilds to be a "liaison" if you will, to Arcani. He brings along bodyguards, or course, and from there proceeds to introduce Arcani and Kilrany to the Aari Guilds, to improve relations with the company.
After he gets things started, Aari sends him secret orders, industrial spying, if you will. He does a series of small things, which lead to suspicion, but he gets away with it. All the while, he doesn't know what he's doing. Then he gets an order: organize an assassination attempt against an Arcani executive (using an EMP/computer virus or something along those lines). He refuses, and his bodyguards receive orders to kill him. They begin a cat and mouse game where more Aari mercenaries arrive to kill off everyone on the (hopefully insignificant) space station.

I like a lot of the ideas here and I'm pretty sure we could still make something work from it, but a few things would perhaps be derailed by how I have Arcani set up. Most prominently right now is that ICly no one knows that the Arcani Corporation is a front for Kilrany intelligence. Arcani acts like a private security corporation that has leanings towards being capable of providing full on private military corporation actions without any visible ties to who it is who actually keeps them running.

What's more Arcani 'employees' do not walk around looking like Kilrany war machines, they use bodies that would appear biological until you managed to literally blow one open, and they use technologies not heavily associated with the Quinquevirate. Now it would not be impossible to arrange contact for the story with the Kilrany because you're making use of the Arcani Corporation, but one would not be able to walk up to them and just ask to be introduced.

Furthermore the space station is not a trivial position, force-ably trying to board it for serious action would require overt military operations and bring the Kilrany military proper into the situation as any sufficient attack on the station would be taken as a sign that the clandestine nature of the Arcani Corporation was compromised and it was time to bring everyone back in.

The Ben Boys
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Ben Boys » Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:31 am

Kilrany wrote:
The Ben Boys wrote:Okay, I was thinking something with the Arcani Corporation. My empire just got out of a millennia long war (which nearly destroyed our armed forces in a final standoff) and are in the process of "mopping up" the last enemy strongholds. Our economy is destroyed, and we are finally allowing foreign corporations to enter our nation.

I like a lot of the ideas here and I'm pretty sure we could still make something work from it, but a few things would perhaps be derailed by how I have Arcani set up. Most prominently right now is that ICly no one knows that the Arcani Corporation is a front for Kilrany intelligence. Arcani acts like a private security corporation that has leanings towards being capable of providing full on private military corporation actions without any visible ties to who it is who actually keeps them running.

What's more Arcani 'employees' do not walk around looking like Kilrany war machines, they use bodies that would appear biological until you managed to literally blow one open, and they use technologies not heavily associated with the Quinquevirate. Now it would not be impossible to arrange contact for the story with the Kilrany because you're making use of the Arcani Corporation, but one would not be able to walk up to them and just ask to be introduced.

Furthermore the space station is not a trivial position, force-ably trying to board it for serious action would require overt military operations and bring the Kilrany military proper into the situation as any sufficient attack on the station would be taken as a sign that the clandestine nature of the Arcani Corporation was compromised and it was time to bring everyone back in.

Hmm, so the industrial spying could lead me to believe what Arcani really is. And your employees/people are like Cylons or guys from Blade Runner, as I'm getting it.
Would it be possible to cut off a section of the station (electronically, not literally), from the rest of the station briefly, so no one knows what's happening until it's over?

Packers Nation

Kilrany
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Kilrany » Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:40 pm

Hmmmm, as I have it arranged, I can't think of any plausible way to allow for that to happen. Getting on the station wouldn't be impossible, it's purpose is mainly to add credibility to the false background information allowing Arcani to avoid immediate and long term suspicion. It's intended to allow potential clients to board and have a tour of the facility while maintaining distance from any 'national' jurisdiction. At at the same time though it's not a hotel, getting to stay for very long and getting anywhere without the station's control AI seeing you do so would be a miraculous act in and of itself.

To be perfectly honest, I suspect a big huddle as I see it right now is clearly I'm not quite ready for the first RP I get the Arcani Corporation into to result in the discovery of who they really are through what would kind of require some poor acting on their part.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to International Incidents