NATION

PASSWORD

Two of my main complaints about the new forum.

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.
Neesika
Minister

Founded: Aug 26, 2006
Ex-Nation

Two of my main complaints about the new forum.

Postby Neesika » Sun May 31, 2009 7:58 pm

So one issue I'm having is with the avatars being above the name, and the name of the poster being so small. I've disabled avatars to try and deal with the issue, so I have a better sense of who is posting, but I sort of like the avys :( I think they're just too bloody big in proportion, and end up contributing to the huge lack of empty space on the page. Names above smaller avys would be ideal.

The other issue is just the green font colour. Titles of threads don't stand out well, players names don't stand out well...the contrast just isn't there and it's hard on aging eyes like mine. For the love of my eyes, people!

Thanks for bringing the normal smileys back, btw! :hug: And thanks for letting us get rid of the freaking annoying NS sidebar!

Oh wait! One more bitch, muahahahha...(or perhaps two bitches in another subset)...wtf is "Save" good for other than pissing us off when we hit it by accident? More importantly though, you know when you go to post and it's all oh hey someone else posted something since, mebbe you want to review your post now in light of this new information...jeez what are you trying to do to NSG culture? Get us to review our freaking points? Get us to revise our hasty posts!? Stop trying to make us what we should never be! This function is an abomination, and it prevents rapid-fire reactionary posting which we ALL know is the backbone of this community!
Last edited by Erastide on Sun May 31, 2009 8:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: PG-13
"Look, Ann Coulter explained it one time. Jesus came to perfect the Jews so they could become Christians and be saved. If they stay Jews, they are rejecting God and the opportunity to eat bacon dipped in mayo and served on the tits of a woman who doesn't complain at restaruants." - RepentNowOrPayLater

Neesika
Minister

Ex-Nation

Re: Two of my main bitches about the new forum.

Postby Neesika » Sun May 31, 2009 8:04 pm

Oooh, another thing I noticed just as I posted this...a nice, crisp non-green (ie, BLACK) line between the poster and the post box would be nice. That empty space and lack of divide is annoying. I realise there is a sort of white line divide, but it's nearly impossible to see.

So...what are we at, four? Five now? Whatever, I suck at math, it's why I went into law. "Point 1 subsection 3 paragraph 2.1..."
Last edited by Neesika on Sun May 31, 2009 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Look, Ann Coulter explained it one time. Jesus came to perfect the Jews so they could become Christians and be saved. If they stay Jews, they are rejecting God and the opportunity to eat bacon dipped in mayo and served on the tits of a woman who doesn't complain at restaruants." - RepentNowOrPayLater

Neesika
Minister

Ex-Nation

Re: Two of my main complaints about the new forum.

Postby Neesika » Sun May 31, 2009 8:07 pm

Apologies, btw if someone has already brought these issues up...I checked the list, but didn't see anything that appeared similar.

Ah...Erastide, I see you've been cleaning up my potty mouth...right-o, forgot about the thread titles. Although...bitch? Really? *sticks out tongue*
Last edited by Neesika on Sun May 31, 2009 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unibot
Senator

Founded: May 25, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Unibot » Sun May 31, 2009 8:10 pm

So one issue I'm having is with the avatars being above the name, and the name of the poster being so small. I've disabled avatars to try and deal with the issue, so I have a better sense of who is posting, but I sort of like the avys :( I think they're just too bloody big in proportion, and end up contributing to the huge lack of empty space on the page. Names above smaller avys would be ideal

Personally I'd like a 'NSG Avatar' , so one could upload a avatar - but it would only appear when posting in General. The nation's flag would appear in all other subforums (which are more game related).

[Violet]'s stated before that she likes the nation's flag though, it gives it a bit of an official air.

Somewhereistonia
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 31, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Somewhereistonia » Sun May 31, 2009 8:15 pm

I agree that the save button is annoying, its on the wrong side of the preview button for one thing.

I don't think that avatars are a problem, you could start recognising people by their avatar's; that is what they are for. If you shrink the avatars any further, further detail is lost which is not a great feeling when you have spent ages working on your flag.

A chance to review your posts is bad how exactly? It might reduce the level of pointless spammy posts.

I wouldn't mind the green changing, but I don't think its a problem. Maybe there could be an option to have it show as a different colour (going back to the skin idea that has been floating around).

<Beddgelert> if that were true, i'd never have woken up with pockets full of ketchup
<Nth|Tableinating> Oi, my slow semen have nothing to do with this conversation!

Neesika
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Neesika » Sun May 31, 2009 8:15 pm

Unibot wrote:
Personally I'd like a 'NSG Avatar' , so one could upload a avatar - but it would only appear when posting in General. The nation's flag would appear in all other subforums (which are more game related).

[Violet]'s stated before that she likes the nation's flag though, it gives it a bit of an official air.

It's annoying, no offence to anyone who really likes their flag. I agree that it would make a lot of sense in some of the other areas, but not so much in General, where our nations are secondary to our real life thoughts/opinions. I actually quite liked my nation flag, but it was jarring even for myself to post under it, so I changed it to my NSG avy which is all stretched out and stupid looking. Yes please, please can we just have normal avys on General at least?

Great work on the suggestion compilation thread, Unibot, that's an impressive amount of work you did! And I did find others suggesting that the save/submit button issue sucketh. Etc.

Unibot
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Unibot » Sun May 31, 2009 8:20 pm

Great work on the suggestion compilation thread, Unibot, that's an impressive amount of work you did! And I did find others suggesting that the save/submit button issue sucketh. Etc.

I think the thing about the save button is that we're all use to the Jolt Forums, where the submit button is on the left (however I've trained myself to click to the right now, somehow). Also the save is basically a replacement for a word processor, its incredibly pointless unless it offers a feature that I missed, to submit a saved document by easier means than copy & pasting it into a new frame.

Thanks by the way. :)

Neesika
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Neesika » Sun May 31, 2009 8:21 pm

Somewhereistonia wrote:I agree that the save button is annoying, its on the wrong side of the preview button for one thing.

I don't think that avatars are a problem, you could start recognising people by their avatar's; that is what they are for. If you shrink the avatars any further, further detail is lost which is not a great feeling when you have spent ages working on your flag.
It's not so much about shrinking avys I suppose, as the dimensions being weird. I also don't want my flag representing me, it's there for my imaginary nation, and I'm not speaking for it in General.
Somewhereistonia wrote:A chance to review your posts is bad how exactly? It might reduce the level of pointless spammy posts.
Doubtful in the extreme. If you have already spent the time typing up the post, you're not going to suddenly go 'oh hey someone said something new, well, delete!'. Especially since if you are writing a particularly long or thoughtful post, the chance of you being interrupted in posting it by 'oh hey some random people posted since' is extremely high. The faster you post, the smaller your posts, the less chance of you having that issue...so no, it's not going to help with spam. As well, the posts in question very likely are not going to be exactly what you were going to say anyway, nor are they likely to definitively answer whatever question you may have, so why not just let us skip to the posting, without the silly review function?
Somewhereistonia wrote:I wouldn't mind the green changing, but I don't think its a problem. Maybe there could be an option to have it show as a different colour (going back to the skin idea that has been floating around).
For me it's a straight up contrast issue. On UMP, we have black background with a sort of soft yellow text...shows up fine, contrast is good. Jolt was great with the black text on white. The green blends too much, at least for me, de-emphasising that which should be emphasised.

Neesika
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Neesika » Sun May 31, 2009 8:23 pm

Also, nation names both on the side, and in posts, should be bigger. Right now, when I quoted Somewhereistonia for example, the name is the same font size as the quoted passage. It makes it difficult to see right away who I'm responding too, which is just bloody annoying. Again, for people with aging eyes and such :p

Oh lawd, the complaints continue...

I like that on Jolt, when you make a post, you're taken there very quickly. This big pause where if you don't choose one of the two options, you get taken back to your post automatically, is frustrating, and I'm not sure why it's necessary. The quick reply box in Jolt is also fantastical.
Last edited by Neesika on Sun May 31, 2009 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unibot
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Unibot » Sun May 31, 2009 8:25 pm

Doubtful in the extreme. If you have already spent the time typing up the post, you're not going to suddenly go 'oh hey someone said something new, well, delete!'. Especially since if you are writing a particularly long or thoughtful post, the chance of you being interrupted in posting it by 'oh hey some random people posted since' is extremely high. The faster you post, the smaller your posts, the less chance of you having that issue...so no, it's not going to help with spam. As well, the posts in question very likely are not going to be exactly what you were going to say anyway, nor are they likely to definitively answer whatever question you may have, so why not just let us skip to the posting, without the silly review function?

I would say if we had a Quick Reply Box - skipping the review thingy-a-doodle when using it would make sense. Other than that, I find the review quite handy (it gives me time to outwit the dude that just beat me to the punch :) ).

Neesika
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Neesika » Sun May 31, 2009 8:29 pm

Unibot wrote:I would say if we had a Quick Reply Box - skipping the review thingy-a-doodle when using it would make sense. Other than that, I find the review quite handy (it gives me time to outwit the dude that just beat me to the punch :) ).
Like you did with the quick reply comment? Ha, I don't mind that. And I don't review. The thing is, here I am, putting time and effort into responding to a point some poster has made. I hit "submit". Then I see it's not letting me post it right away because new posts have been made. Well the thing is...quite often I'm on page 4 of a 9 page thread, and I simply haven't gotten to the point where reviewing those new posts is going to help. I'll get to those posts when I get to them, and if they happen to echo my sentiments, great. It wasn't as though it was a huge problem on the other forum with people repeating one another's arguments. There are always personal nuances, and different wordings that can help. For me, the pause to 'review' is annoying enough to make me grind my teeth, and even worse if I forget it might do that, and I hit submit and then go do something, only to come back and see I still haven't posted my freaking thesis...*gnash gnash!*

Unibot
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Unibot » Sun May 31, 2009 8:34 pm

Like you did with the quick reply comment? Ha, I don't mind that. And I don't review. The thing is, here I am, putting time and effort into responding to a point some poster has made. I hit "submit". Then I see it's not letting me post it right away because new posts have been made. Well the thing is...quite often I'm on page 4 of a 9 page thread, and I simply haven't gotten to the point where reviewing those new posts is going to help. I'll get to those posts when I get to them, and if they happen to echo my sentiments, great. It wasn't as though it was a huge problem on the other forum with people repeating one another's arguments. There are always personal nuances, and different wordings that can help. For me, the pause to 'review' is annoying enough to make me grind my teeth, and even worse if I forget it might do that, and I hit submit and then go do something, only to come back and see I still haven't posted my freaking thesis...*gnash gnash!*

I see what you mean. With NSG that could be really annoying.

Possibly review could be a setting that could be turned off in the UCP?

Neesika
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Neesika » Sun May 31, 2009 9:15 pm

Twould be wonderful!

Zemnaya Svoboda
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 06, 2004
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Zemnaya Svoboda » Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:02 pm

Unibot wrote:

That may be good. I for one find the review functionality extremely useful.

Zwangzug
Issues Editor

Founded: Oct 19, 2006
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Zwangzug » Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:17 pm

And I really appreciate the "Save" button--as I'm not the sole owner of the computers I use, my posting times can be interrupted. RIP, zwangzug.txt Notepad file, I don't think I'll need you much longer! :) So thanks to the admins/mods for that.
Last edited by Zwangzug on Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Factbook
IRC humor, (self-referential)
My issues
...using the lens of athletics to illustrate national culture, provide humor, interweave international affairs, and even incorporate mathematical theory...
WARNING: by construing meaning from this sequence of symbols, you have given implicit consent to the theory that words have noncircular semantic value and can be used to encode information about an external universe. Proceed with caution.

Unibot
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Unibot » Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:42 pm

And I really appreciate the "Save" button--as I'm not the sole owner of the computers I use, my posting times can be interrupted. RIP, zwangzug.txt Notepad file, I don't think I'll need you much longer! So thanks to the admins/mods for that.

Ah yes, I could see that. :)

I still think a function to post saved posts would make sense though.
Last edited by Unibot on Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Daistallia 2104
Powerbroker

Founded: Jan 14, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Daistallia 2104 » Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:28 pm

Unibot wrote:

I just had to hit "submit SIX times for a post in an active thread to go through because it kept "reviewing". Very annoying. >:(
NSWiki|HP
Stupidity is like nuclear power; it can be used for good or evil, and you don't want to get any on you. - Scott Adams
Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness. - Terry Pratchett
Sometimes the smallest softest voice carries the grand biggest solutions
How our economy really works.
Obama is a conservative, not a liberal, and certainly not a socialist.

Whereyouthinkyougoing
Envoy

Founded: Sep 08, 2005
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Whereyouthinkyougoing » Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:30 pm

I have no idea if anyone who can do something about it still reads these threads but I didn't want to clutter up Unibot's stickied List thread, so yeah.

It would be really great if the review function could be turned off in one's user controls (personally, I'd be happy to lose it completely but judging from what was posted upthread there are people who like it).

Right now, it's just an inconvenience (except for those with a slow/dial-up connection and in really fast moving threads, because then you get Daistallia's experience of having to confirm that you really want to post it half a dozen times).

But come the next "live commentary" thread, be it on political debates or elections or on World Cup soccer games or whatever, that function is gonna be a MAJOR pain in the ass to the point of making it almost impossible for anyone to ever actually get anything posted.

Hopefully yours,
me
"I'm not going to join this debate, it looks unpleasant." Hamilay

[violet]
Executive Director

Founded: Antiquity

Postby [violet] » Wed Jun 24, 2009 5:27 pm

I'm looking into it.

Whereyouthinkyougoing
Envoy

Founded: Sep 08, 2005
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Whereyouthinkyougoing » Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:14 pm

Whee, thanks!
"I'm not going to join this debate, it looks unpleasant." Hamilay

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Technical