NATION

PASSWORD

PASSED: For the Detained and Convicted

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.
R539
Spokesperson

Founded: May 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

PASSED: For the Detained and Convicted

Postby R539 » Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:49 pm

I need 6 approvals and only have like 3 hours to get them. Here is a copy. If there is anyone who has not approved it who sees this, please look it over.

For the Detained and Convicted

A resolution to improve worldwide human and civil rights.

Category: Human Rights
Strength: Significant
Proposed by: R539

Description:The World Assembly,

Recognizing that detainees and convicts can be subject to mistreatment;

Acknowledging that individuals rescinded their civil rights when detained and convicted;

Understanding that though the individual is convicted, they are entitled to some rights;

Appalled that while some rights are covered by other resolutions, none have been made specifically concerning prisoners;

Hereby,

Defines:
1. “Detainees” as any person(s) held in captivity by authorities accused of a crime(s), prior to conviction.
2. “Convicts” as any person(s) accused of a crime and convicted in a court of law.

1. That the detained:
a. are considered the accused until proven guilty;
b. shall be informed as to the nature of the offense;
c. shall be entitled to protection by the state from outside and inside threats.
d. (i) if held for more than 6 hours per day (or equivalent) shall be fed an adequate meal;
(ii) shall be fed at minimum two adequate meals per day;

2. That the convicted:
a. (i) if sentenced to prison, be given accommodations of a reasonable comfort level;
(ii) shall be placed in an area of adequate security level for the offense;
b. shall be fed at minimum two adequate meals per day;
c. shall have visitation rights;
d. shall be entitled to protection from inside threats;
e. shall not be subject to cruel and unusual treatment, so as not to cause physical or mental harm;
f. (i) shall be permitted at least one hour of outside exercise daily;
(ii) shall be permitted exercise time inside as requested for any reason, weather or otherwise;
g. (i) if misbehaved, may be punished and temporarily lose rights listed as (c) and (g) for an adequate time as given by a prison board or equivalent;
(ii) shall have more time added to their sentence if misconduct is a felony or of a serious nature.

Co-Author: Meekinos
Last edited by Sirocco on Sat Sep 19, 2009 3:06 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Bergnovinaia
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 26, 2009
Ex-Nation

Re: [Submitted] For the Detained and Convicted

Postby Bergnovinaia » Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:53 pm

You've got my vote.
I am pursuing my undergraduate degree from Texas A&M University in Psychology and Spanish. My goal in life is to be a marriage and family counselor. If you have questions about me or my life, just ask!

My girlfriend and I blog about Christian & general marriage, relationship, and dating advice!

NS member since 2009. WA Resolution Author (mostly all repealed), NS sports fanatic.

R539
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby R539 » Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:56 pm

OK, thanks. I'm just trying to drum up a little more support and this is more effective than sending hundreds of TGs...
Fmr. Consul of Corrosia
Co-Founder, The [Disbanded] IDO Alliance
RepentNowOrPayLater wrote:One of the kids at my school tried to tell me about something called secular ethics, but I told him I already have T-Mobile and my mom handles that anyway.

Milks Empire wrote:Whoever the hell thinks women cannot commit rape ought to be removed from society for being that stupid.

Bergnovinaia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Bergnovinaia » Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:57 pm

Yeah I agree. However, last time I tried this I got super criticized about it (just a heads up).
I am pursuing my undergraduate degree from Texas A&M University in Psychology and Spanish. My goal in life is to be a marriage and family counselor. If you have questions about me or my life, just ask!

My girlfriend and I blog about Christian & general marriage, relationship, and dating advice!

NS member since 2009. WA Resolution Author (mostly all repealed), NS sports fanatic.

R539
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby R539 » Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:59 pm

Yeah, I'm prepared for it. Already about overlaps with GA #9 and 37. However it just really re-avows those.
Fmr. Consul of Corrosia
RepentNowOrPayLater wrote:One of the kids at my school tried to tell me about something called secular ethics, but I told him I already have T-Mobile and my mom handles that anyway.

Milks Empire wrote:Whoever the hell thinks women cannot commit rape ought to be removed from society for being that stupid.

Bergnovinaia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Bergnovinaia » Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:04 pm

Thanks for approving my proposal though. I am kind of too laszy to dum up support for it either by TG or this (which most people dislike). It looks though that if I get 1 proposal and hour it will reach queorum.

Tanaara
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 27, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Tanaara » Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:51 pm

I still say this fails because you are trying to impose one version of a legal system upon nations that may function entirely differently.

Not all legal systems have it so that one is 'innocent until proven guilty'.

And you have never bothered to define 'cruel aned unusual'. In my eyes that leaves your proposal open to horrific abuses. Not that Tanaar recognises most peoplesx definities of cruel and unusual';. We're very hard on criminals"

Al-Arabiyya
Civil Servant

Founded: Aug 17, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Al-Arabiyya » Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:13 pm

al-Mamlaka al-ʻArabiyya requests of the international community to pull support from this obvious violation of a states right to punish convicts as which is suitable to their national structure. We feel this is trying to push a specific ideology upon a populations that have strict views on how those who break the law should be treated and this only takes away their rights, most of which punishments are social acceptable within that nation. R539 is attempting to force it's agenda on other nations and control the way they treat people who, by standards of al-Mamlaka al-ʻArabiyya should be fut to death for such crimes would now force the government to pamper, coddle and love these examples of scum.

Though al-Mamlaka al-ʻArabiyya is not a member of the World Assembly, we worry about this effect upon the population a whole. Even more so we fear that this will lead to prisoners not receiving the proper punishment as deserved by the law of said nations. Hudud clearly states the treatment of prisoners in every aspect as required by Islamic law, this clearly violates our rights as an independent Kingdom established on Holy Law. Though we are not bound by this, we worry for other nations that are, who follow inline with the teachings of the Holy Qur'an.

R539
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby R539 » Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:56 am

Well as it seems to me, GA#37 covers the innocent until proven guilty part, but why don't I just changed it to "accused until found guilty"

And if you are outside of the WA, then this won't affect you obviously... I think it would boil down to a WA vote for weather or not it would pass.
Fmr. Consul of Corrosia

R539
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

[Revised Draft] For the Detained and Convicted

Postby R539 » Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:03 am

Name: For the Detained and Convicted
Council: General Assembly
Strength: significant

Acknowledging that individuals rescinded their civil rights when detained and convicted;

Understanding that though the individual is convicted, they are entitled to some rights;

Hereby,

Defines:
1. “Detainees” as any person(s) held in captivity by authorities accused of a crime(s), prior to conviction.
2. “Convicts” as any person(s) accused of a crime and convicted in a court of law.

1. That the detained:
a. are considered the accused until proven guilty, in accordance with GA#37;
b. shall be informed as to the nature of the offense, in accordance with GA#37;
c. shall be entitled to protection by the state from outside and inside threats.
d. (i) shall not be abused as to elicit a false confession;
(ii) Defining abuse as: an action which causes either physical or mental harm;
e. (i) if held for more than 6 hours per day (or equivalent) shall be fed an adequate meal;

2. That the convicted:
a. (i) if sentenced to prison, be given accommodations of a reasonable comfort level;
e. (i) shall be entitled to medical attention in case of injury, self-inflicted or otherwise;
(ii) can be subject for psychiatric treatment and analysis;
f. (i) shall not be subject to cruel and unusual treatment, so as not to cause physical or mental harm;
(ii) shall be free from torture in any circumstance, in accordance with GA#9;
g. (i) shall be permitted at least one hour of outside exercise daily;
(ii) shall be permitted exercise time inside as requested for any reason, weather or otherwise;
h. (i) if misbehaved, may be punished and temporarily lose rights listed as (c) and (g) for an adequate time as given by a prison board or equivalent;
(ii) shall have more time added to their sentence if misconduct is a felony or of a serious nature.

Fmr. Consul of Corrosia

Charlotte Ryberg
The Muse of the Westcountry

Founded: Mar 14, 2007
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Charlotte Ryberg » Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:06 am

It appears that GA#37 covers much of what is written here, so regrettably I was unable to support it in its current form, honoured ambassador.

R539
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby R539 » Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:24 am

Well then what should be added/taken out? Is it wrong to reaffirm rights given by another resolution if it pertains to the subject at hand?
Fmr. Consul of Corrosia

New Rockport
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: May 09, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby New Rockport » Tue Aug 18, 2009 5:14 pm

R539 wrote:Well as it seems to me, GA#37 covers the innocent until proven guilty part...

Actually, It appears that it doesn't. That's something that should be addressed.

R539 wrote:Well then what should be added/taken out?

1d(i) is covered by Resolution 37:
REQUIRES that the accused may not be forced to self-incrimination, and that this constitutes sufficient reason for them to refuse to answer a question put to them during the trial;

1d(ii) is covered by Resolution 9:
1. ‘Torture’ is defined as an act of intentionally inflicting pain, severe discomfort or suffering on a person for the purposes of intimidation, coercion, personal punishment or interrogation, or to extract information, confession or concession to demands from them or any other person, where committed with the approval or assistance of a government official or person acting in such capacity.

1e(i), 1e(ii), and 2 b arguably are covered by Resolution 9:
2. Such acts include, but are not limited to:
-Deprivation of adequate food and drink

2e(i) is covered by Resolution 9:
2. Such acts include, but are not limited to:
-Denial of necessary medical care

2f(ii) is covered by Resolution 9:
3. Torture is designated a crime against humanity, and its commission, including assistance in such commission or threats thereof, is to be designated a heinous crime under national and international law.

For your reference, Resolution 9 is available here. Resolution 37 is available here.

Respectfully submitted,
David Corrigan, Esq.
Deputy Counsel to the Ambassador
Federal Republic of New Rockport
The Federal Republic of New Rockport

Bythinia-Byzantium
Lobbyist

Founded: Aug 15, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Bythinia-Byzantium » Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:41 pm

In my country, if you break the law, I cast you into prison after a very short trial, but if you try to seize my throne, well, then I have no choice but to put you to the sword. Then again, my subjects are peaceful and loyal subjects. It's my standing army of Syrian mercenaries I have to worry about. :roll:

R539
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby R539 » Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:12 am

Well then how's this?
-----------------------------------

Name: For the Detained and Convicted
Council: General Assembly
Strength: significant

Appalled that while some rights are covered by other resolutions, none have been made specifically concerning prisoners;

Hereby,

Defines:

1. That the detained:
b. shall be informed as to the nature of the offense, in accordance with GA#37;
d. (i) if held for more than 6 hours per day (or equivalent) shall be fed an adequate meal;

2. That the convicted:
e. shall not be subject to cruel and unusual treatment, so as not to cause physical or mental harm;
f. (i) shall be permitted at least one hour of outside exercise daily;
g. (i) if misbehaved, may be punished and temporarily lose rights listed as (c) and (g) for an adequate time as given by a prison board or equivalent;

Fmr. Consul of Corrosia

Meekinos
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 10, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Meekinos » Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:15 am

R539 wrote:1. That the detained:
b. shall be informed as to the nature of the offense, in accordance with GA#37
;

Illegal. House of Cards Violation. You can't rely explicitly on another resolution to support yours.
Ambassador Gavriil Floros
Meekinos' Official WA Ambassador
Deputy Treasurer, North Pleides Merchant's Syndicate
CEO & Financial Manager of Delta Energy Ltd.
Madame Elina Nikodemos
Executive Senior Delegate
Educator
The Hellenic Republic of Meekinos
Factbook: Your Friendly Guide to Meekinos
The paranoid, isolationist, xenophobic capitalists.

R539
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby R539 » Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:16 am

Ok, it's gone, how about now?
Fmr. Consul of Corrosia

Meekinos
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Meekinos » Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:47 am

R539 wrote:Ok, it's gone, how about now?

The edit doesn't seem to have gone through.
Madame Elina Nikodemos
Educator

New Rockport
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: May 09, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby New Rockport » Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:49 am

I liked "innocent until proven guilty" better in Section 1a.
The Federal Republic of New Rockport

R539
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby R539 » Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:01 am

Meekinos wrote:

I did it on my copy on word.

And Tanaara didn't like it because "Not all legal systems have it so that one is 'innocent until proven guilty'." so I changed it to accused.
Fmr. Consul of Corrosia

Meekinos
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Meekinos » Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:41 am

R539 wrote:
Meekinos wrote:

I did it on my copy on word.

And Tanaara didn't like it because "Not all legal systems have it so that one is 'innocent until proven guilty'." so I changed it to accused.

OOC: Silly R-chan, I meant here on the forum. :hug: I don't see any indication that an edit was made. ;) Ever notice the "Edit" line beneath a post? Yea, the ones that say, this post has been edited "X" number of times? You should repost the complete edit in the OP that way it's easier for the nice folks here to find it.
Madame Elina Nikodemos
Educator

Flibbleites
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jan 02, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Flibbleites » Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:48 am

Meekinos wrote:You should repost the complete edit in the OP that way it's easier for the nice folks here to find it.

And if you don't I can assure you that you will get people complaining about things that you've already changed but they don't realize it due to their reading an outdated draft.

Bob Flibble
WA Representative

Progressive Union
Envoy

Founded: Jul 28, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Progressive Union » Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:41 pm

Al-Arabiyya wrote:Though al-Mamlaka al-ʻArabiyya is not a member of the World Assembly, we worry about this effect upon the population a whole.

TO: The Sultanate of Al-Arabiyya
FR: D. Mark Melancon; Ambassador-Delegate; Royal Federation of Nations

Violent Oppressors,

Since your nation is NOT a member nation of the World Assembly, legislature passed by the WA will have NO effect on you whatsoever.

It's easy to see why your psychotic dictatorship would be against the proposal, however; since your citizens have no civil rights and political freedoms are outlawed. Maybe that is why your nation's economy is so fragile.

D. Mark Melancon; Ambassador-Delegate; Royal Federation of Nations

THE TECHNO-SOCIALIST REPUBLIC OF THE PROGRESSIVE UNION
"Pro Bonus Totus - For the Good of All"
Political Compass

R539
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby R539 » Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:57 pm

Meekinos wrote:OOC: Silly R-chan, I meant here on the forum. :hug: I don't see any indication that an edit was made. ;) Ever notice the "Edit" line beneath a post? Yea, the ones that say, this post has been edited "X" number of times? You should repost the complete edit in the OP that way it's easier for the nice folks here to find it.
Ok then... I just did.

R539
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Re: [In Queue] For the Detained and Convicted

Postby R539 » Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:04 pm

The proposal is in queue!
Fmr. Consul of Corrosia

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives