NATION

PASSWORD

Congresswoman Gabby Giffords Shot in Head

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Japanse SSR
Civilian

Founded: Dec 25, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Japanse SSR » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:32 pm

This is a tragic day I pray for those who die and this democrat who I supported some of her views espically on border control. See this video of the young girls father speaking: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axKjS92pnqk

You are probably aware that she is alive and stable. Thank God
Last edited by Japanse SSR on Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:44 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Gauthier
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Gauthier » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:36 pm

Free Soviets wrote:

also worth remembering are things like this report from politico last spring:
Senate Sergeant at Arms Terrance Gainer says threats against members of Congress were up 300 percent in the first few months of 2010.

Cue the right-wingers who'll say the death threats against the Shrubinator are just as bad as all the anti-Democrat death threats combined.
Crimes committed by Muslims will be a pan-Islamic plot and proof of Islam's inherent evil. On the other hand crimes committed by non-Muslims will merely be the acts of loners who do not represent their belief system at all.
The probability of one's participation in homosexual acts is directly proportional to one's public disdain and disgust for homosexuals.
If a political figure makes an accusation of wrongdoing without evidence, odds are probable that the accuser or an associate thereof has in fact committed the very same act, possibly to a worse degree.
Where is your God-Emperor now?

The Grand World Order
Powerbroker

Founded: Nov 03, 2007
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby The Grand World Order » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:46 pm

Gauthier wrote:Cue the right-wingers who'll say the death threats against the Shrubinator are just as bad as all the anti-Democrat death threats combined.

As a Fascist, the super-increase in death threats simply means to me that, in the words of Mussolini, "People are tired of liberty."

They're sick of the bullshit that is the United States Government. And, many of them with lower intelligence (as that's been dropping with the rise of Humanist psychology) seek to simply take up arms.
United States Marine Corps Non-Commissioned Officer turned Private Military Contractor
Basque American
NS's only post-apoc, neo-western, cassette-punk, conspiracy-laden, pseudo-mystic Fascist UN-clone utopia
Peace sells, but who's buying? | Right is the new punk
A Better Class of Fascist
Got Discord? Add me at griff1337
Economic Left/Right: 4.38
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 8.13
Amerikians: That sir, is one Epic Tank.
Altamirus: Behold the fascist God of War.
Aelosia: Shiiiiit, you are hot. More pics, I demand.

DaWoad
Powerbroker

Founded: Nov 05, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby DaWoad » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:57 pm

The Grand World Order wrote:
Gauthier wrote:Cue the right-wingers who'll say the death threats against the Shrubinator are just as bad as all the anti-Democrat death threats combined.

As a Fascist, the super-increase in death threats simply means to me that, in the words of Mussolini, "People are tired of liberty."

They're sick of the bullshit that is the United States Government. And, many of them with lower intelligence (as that's been dropping with the rise of Humanist psychology) seek to simply take up arms.

wait wait wait, GWO you're actually a facist??? gwah?

more importantly, there's a reason that no modern first-world nation is facist. It's not a particularly effective system and it generally ends up with an idiot/maniac/nutjob in charge of an entire country for long enough to run it into the ground (until, of course, someone kills him with piano wire).
Official Nation States Trainer
Factbook:http://nationstates.wikia.com/wiki/User:Dawoad
Alliances:The Hegemony, The GDF, SCUTUM

Supporter of making [citation needed] the official NSG way to say "source?"

Grave_n_idle
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 11, 2004
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Grave_n_idle » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:42 pm

Lower intelligence?

Are you compensating for the Flynn effect?
I identify as
a problem

New Kereptica
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 14, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby New Kereptica » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:50 pm

Grave_n_idle wrote:Are you compensating for the Flynn effect?

Fascism: because people are too smart nowadays.
Blouman Empire wrote:Natural is not nature.

KiloMikeAlpha wrote:Umm hmm.... mind if I siggy that as a reminder to those who think that it is cool to shove their bat-shit crazy atheist beliefs on those of us who actually have a clue?

Teccor wrote:You're actually arguing with Kereptica? It's like arguing with a far-Left, militantly atheist brick wall.

Bluth Corporation wrote:No. A free market literally has zero bubbles.

JJ Place wrote:I have a few more pressing matters to attend to right now; I'll be back later this evening to continue my one-man against the world struggle.

Mercator Terra wrote: Mental illness is a myth.

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:51 pm

New Kereptica wrote:
Grave_n_idle wrote:Are you compensating for the Flynn effect?

That is so going to end up in Panzerjaeger's sig.
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Andaluciae
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Andaluciae » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:03 pm

Grave_n_idle wrote:
Andaluciae wrote:
That's actually probably true...

We could also come to the conclusion that Switzerland is a tiny fraction of the size of the US.

Which shouldn't really affect the 'rate', if it's measured on a per capita basis.

A sort of economy of scale of gun violence, perhaps.

Regardless, Switzerland has considerably stronger national identification, a sense of social harmony (and social responsibility associated therewith), and the genuine omnipresence.
FreeAgency wrote:Shellfish eating used to be restricted to dens of sin such as Red Lobster and Long John Silvers, but now days I cannot even take my children to a public restaurant anymore (even the supposedly "family friendly ones") without risking their having to watch some deranged individual flaunting his sin...

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby The Black Forrest » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:07 pm

Grave_n_idle wrote:
The Plutonian Empire wrote:Anyone else see this guy actually freaking smiling in his mugshot photo?

What would that be an indicator of, generally?

Being proud of what he did?

Maybe he feels like he's a hero, for taking down the evil oppressor state, or something?

Didn't know that nine year old was that tough.
*I am a master proofreader after I click Submit.
* There is actually a War on Christmas. But Christmas started it, with it's unparalleled aggression against the Thanksgiving Holiday, and now Christmas has seized much Lebensraum in November, and are pushing into October. The rest of us seek to repel these invaders, and push them back to the status quo ante bellum Black Friday border. -Trotskylvania
* Silence Is Golden But Duct Tape Is Silver.
* I felt like Ayn Rand cornered me at a party, and three minutes in I found my first objection to what she was saying, but she kept talking without interruption for ten more days. - Max Barry talking about Atlas Shrugged

Panzerjaeger
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 15, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Panzerjaeger » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:45 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
New Kereptica wrote:

That is so going to end up in Panzerjaeger's sig.

Yes, yes it is. :lol2:
Friendly Neighborhood Fascist™
ФАШИЗМ БЕЗГРАНИЧНЫЙ И КРАСНЫЙ
Caninope wrote:Toyota: Keep moving forward, even when you don't want to!

Christmahanikwanzikah wrote:Timothy McVeigh casts... Pyrotechnics!

Greater Americania wrote:lol "No Comrade Ivan! Don't stick your head in there! That's the wood chi...!"

New Kereptica wrote:Fascism: because people are too smart nowadays.

Wikkiwallana
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 21, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Wikkiwallana » Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:22 am

Grave_n_idle wrote:

Lower intelligence?

What is the Flynn effect?
Proud Scalawag and Statist!

Please don't confuse my country for my politics; my country is being run as a parody, my posts aren't.
Dumb Ideologies wrote:Halt!
Just because these people are stupid, wrong and highly dangerous does not mean you have the right to make them feel sad.
Xenohumanity wrote:
Nulono wrote:Snip
I'm a pro-lifer who runs a nation of dragon-men...
And even I think that's stupid.
Avenio wrote:Just so you know, the use of the term 'sheep' 'sheeple' or any other herd animal-based terminology in conjunction with an exhortation to 'think outside the box' or stop going along with groupthink generally indicates that the speaker is actually more closed-minded on the subject than the people that he/she is addressing. At least, in my experience at least.

Jagalonia
Senator

Founded: Jun 22, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Jagalonia » Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:25 am

Katganistan wrote:My God. I hope she recovers.

What are the odds of somone recovering from a bullet wound to the head?
Tokyoni wrote:Hitler's mustache looks weird. Adam Smith was a drunken fatass. There, I've just pwned fascism and capitalism by such "logic".
Edlichbury wrote:OOC: If Knootoss can claim alcohol is a biological weapon, I can claim sentient Milk-People.
Senestrum wrote:Russians took the maximum allowable missile performances from the ABM treaty as design goals.
lolz ensued
Ifreann wrote:
Computer Land wrote:I don't want someone hacking my fridge :meh:

fridge.setTempC(100);
sysout("I'm melting! I'm meeeeelting! Oh what a world, what world!");
I'm Amish...Problem?
Unsigable. >.>
I am a Magnificent Titan who likes to Devour Heroes
All tech.

Mongolian Khanate
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 05, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Mongolian Khanate » Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:35 am

Jagalonia wrote:

100% recovery? Let's say flipping burgers in the far futur appears to be a reasonable expectation
When ever you get balls deep into the study of philosophy, you get really anal about definitions.
Trotskylvania

Jagalonia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Jagalonia » Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:36 am

Mongolian Khanate wrote:
Jagalonia wrote:

100% recovery? Let's say flipping burgers in the far futur appears to be a reasonable expectation

That wasn't the odds, that was what happened....lol.
Tokyoni wrote:Hitler's mustache looks weird. Adam Smith was a drunken fatass. There, I've just pwned fascism and capitalism by such "logic".
Edlichbury wrote:OOC: If Knootoss can claim alcohol is a biological weapon, I can claim sentient Milk-People.
Senestrum wrote:Russians took the maximum allowable missile performances from the ABM treaty as design goals.
lolz ensued
Ifreann wrote:

fridge.setTempC(100);
I'm Amish...Problem?
Unsigable. >.>
All tech.

Linux and the X
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 29, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Linux and the X » Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:40 am

Jagalonia wrote:

Pretty good, apparently.
If you see I've made a mistake in my wording or a factual detail, telegram me and I'll fix it. I'll even give you credit for pointing it out, if you'd like.
BLUE LIVES MURDER

[violet]: Maybe we could power our new search engine from the sexual tension between you two.
Me, responding to a request to vote for a liberation: But... but that would blemish my near-perfect history of spitefully voting against anything the SC does!
Farnhamia: That is not to be taken as license to start calling people "buttmunch."

GPG key ID: A8960638 fingerprint: 2239 2687 0B50 2CEC 28F7 D950 CCD0 26FC A896 0638

they/them pronouns

Mongolian Khanate
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 05, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Mongolian Khanate » Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:47 am

In other news,

http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2011/01/1 ... rance.html

the guy was denied bail, anyone surprised?
When ever you get balls deep into the study of philosophy, you get really anal about definitions.
Trotskylvania

Geniasis
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 28, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Geniasis » Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:21 am

Paul Krugman has written an Op-Ed in the New York Times that essentially echoes what we've been saying; even if the comments of the Tea Party did not directly cause Jared Loughner to shoot Congresswoman Giffords, the climate of hate they have created has made this possible.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/10/opini ... .html?_r=1

This should be a surprise to absolutely nobody. (Note: you may need to register with the NYTimes to read the article. It's not really imperative that you read it, just know that people in RL echo our sentiments).

EDIT: Interesting quote from former Bush speechwriter, "Republicans originally thought that Fox worked for us and now we’re discovering we work for Fox.”

EDIT2: Also an open letter to WFTL-AM (850) radio host Joyce Kaufman, whose incendiary political rhetoric included a Tea Party rally remark that "If ballots don't work, bullets will" (seriously, there's nothing ambiguous about this one): http://blogs.browardpalmbeach.com/pulp/ ... ooting.php
Last edited by Geniasis on Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
Supporter of making [citation needed] the official NSG way to say "source?"

Myrensis wrote:I say turn it into a brothel, that way Muslims and Christians can be offended together.

DaWoad wrote:nah, she only fought because, as everyone knows, the brits can't make a decent purse to save their lives and she had a VERY important shopping trip coming up!

Reichskommissariat ost wrote:Women are as good as men , I dont know why they constantly whine about things.

Euronion wrote:because how dare me ever ever try to demand rights for myself, right men, we should just lie down and let the women trample over us, let them take awa our rights, our right to vote will be next just don't say I didn't warn ou

Gauthier
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Gauthier » Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:35 am

Geniasis wrote:Paul Krugman has written an Op-Ed in the New York Times that essentially echoes what we've been saying; even if the comments of the Tea Party did not directly cause Jared Loughner to shoot Congresswoman Giffords, the climate of hate they have created has made this possible.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/10/opini ... .html?_r=1

This should be a surprise to absolutely nobody. (Note: you may need to register with the NYTimes to read the article. It's not really imperative that you read it, just know that people in RL echo our sentiments).

EDIT: Interesting quote from former Bush speechwriter, "Republicans originally thought that Fox worked for us and now we’re discovering we work for Fox.”

EDIT2: Also an open letter to WFTL-AM (850) radio host Joyce Kaufman, whose incendiary political rhetoric included a Tea Party rally remark that "If ballots don't work, bullets will" (seriously, there's nothing ambiguous about this one): http://blogs.browardpalmbeach.com/pulp/ ... ooting.php

Indeed it will just be the beginning. The Right Wing Noise Machine will never accept accountability for inciting the likes of Loughner, and they will continue with the same insuurectionist talk as long as Democrats hold any major political office.
Crimes committed by Muslims will be a pan-Islamic plot and proof of Islam's inherent evil. On the other hand crimes committed by non-Muslims will merely be the acts of loners who do not represent their belief system at all.
The probability of one's participation in homosexual acts is directly proportional to one's public disdain and disgust for homosexuals.
If a political figure makes an accusation of wrongdoing without evidence, odds are probable that the accuser or an associate thereof has in fact committed the very same act, possibly to a worse degree.
Where is your God-Emperor now?

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Founded: Nov 13, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:58 am

The Black Plains wrote:Here's where you have to stop waffling around and come out and say what you're thinking. Do you think that Palin should be arrested for inciting murder: Yes or No?

That's simple... No. On the other hand, do I think her choice of symbolism combined with her rhetoric is a problem? Yes.
Don't take life so serious... It isn't permanent...
Freedom from religion is an integral part of Freedom of religion
Married to Koshka
USMC veteran MOS 0331/8152
Grave_n_Idle: Maybe that's why the bible is so anti-other-gods, the other gods do exist, but they diss on Jehovah all the time for his shitty work.
Ifreann: Odds are you're secretly a zebra with a very special keyboard.
Ostro: I think women need to be trained
Margno, Llamalandia, Tarsonis Survivors, Bachmann's America, Internationalist Bastard B'awwwww! You're mean!

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Founded: Nov 13, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:00 am

Juristonia wrote:It's sad to see that it takes a nut and a tragedy for people to finally start realising that the rhetoric has been going too far.

No, what's sad is that far too many people don't realize that the rhetoric has gone too far.
Don't take life so serious... It isn't permanent...
Freedom from religion is an integral part of Freedom of religion
Married to Koshka
USMC veteran MOS 0331/8152
Grave_n_Idle: Maybe that's why the bible is so anti-other-gods, the other gods do exist, but they diss on Jehovah all the time for his shitty work.
Ifreann: Odds are you're secretly a zebra with a very special keyboard.
Ostro: I think women need to be trained
Margno, Llamalandia, Tarsonis Survivors, Bachmann's America, Internationalist Bastard B'awwwww! You're mean!

South Norwega
Senator

Founded: Jul 13, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby South Norwega » Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:01 am

Caninope wrote:
South Norwega wrote:I'm sorry, but what?

Removing a significant proportion of guns from Australia's gun market seems to have done nothing at all to increase the black market in guns.

Unfortunately for you also, Switzerland has about half as many guns per capita as the US. Ha.

Still not accurate. Only half of households, at most have guns, with most of those probably belonging to only one or two people in the households.

What? You have proved nothing in my post at all incorrect. The US has more guns than Switzerland, in real terms and per capita. Mercator Terra is wrong.

Mercator Terra wrote:They have more guns then us and have extremely less murder rates. Either that they somehow have more humanity then us or what I said is true.
Worship the great Gordon Brown!
The Republic of Lanos wrote:Please sig this.

Jedi 999 wrote:the fact is the british colonised the british

Plains Nations wrote:the god of NS

Trippoli wrote:This here guy, is smart.

Second Placing: Sarzonian Indoor Gridball Cup

Grave_n_idle
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 11, 2004
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Grave_n_idle » Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:32 pm

Wikkiwallana wrote:
Grave_n_idle wrote:
Lower intelligence?

It refers to the way IQ is measured. IQ scoring is standardised to an average of 100. Taking earlier iterations of IQ tests always yields average scores above 100, thus, standardisation is actually slowly creeping up in value.

The ramifications of this are twofold - one: it means 'lower scores' over a period of time are not only not evidence of decreasing intelligence, they are actually to be expected... and two: average intelligence is actually increasing over time, if the average point keeps moving higher.

People who talk about the decrease in intelligence over the last century tend to ignore the Flynn effect.
I identify as
a problem

Xsyne
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 30, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Xsyne » Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:34 pm

Wikkiwallana wrote:
Grave_n_idle wrote:
Lower intelligence?

IQ is going up. Everywhere.
If global warming is real, why are there still monkeys? - Msigroeg
Pro: Stuff
Anti: Things
Chernoslavia wrote:
Free Soviets wrote:according to both the law library of congress and wikipedia, both automatics and semi-autos that can be easily converted are outright banned in norway.

Source?

Jagalonia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Jagalonia » Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:45 pm

Xsyne wrote:
Wikkiwallana wrote:What is the Flynn effect?

IQ is going up. Everywhere.

Except the USA.
lolz ensued
Ifreann wrote:

fridge.setTempC(100);
I'm Amish...Problem?
Unsigable. >.>
All tech.

Desperate Measures
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Desperate Measures » Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:47 pm

Jagalonia wrote:
Xsyne wrote:IQ is going up. Everywhere.

Except the USA.

Who needs smarts when you've got this many guns?
"My loathings are simple: stupidity, oppression, crime, cruelty, soft music."
- Vladimir Nabokov US (1899 - 1977)
Also, me.
“Man has such a predilection for systems and abstract deductions that he is ready to distort the truth intentionally, he is ready to deny the evidence of his senses only to justify his logic”
- Fyodor Dostoyevsky Russian Novelist and Writer, 1821-1881
"All Clock Faces Are Wrong." - Gene Ray, Prophet(?) http://www.timecube.com
A simplified maxim on the subject states "An atheist would say, 'I don't believe God exists'; an agnostic would say, 'I don't know whether or not God exists'; and an ignostic would say, 'I don't know what you mean when you say, "God exists" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ignosticism

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General