NATION

PASSWORD

[Draft] Tariffs for Developing Nations

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.
Bergnovinaia
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 26, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Bergnovinaia » Sat Aug 15, 2009 2:51 pm

I am interested in any comments you may have. This is a really rough draft.

Category: Advancement of Industry (?)
Area of effect: Protective Tariffs (?)

Description:

The World Assembly,

Applauding the attempt of impoverished and undeveloped nations to advance their own industry;

Recognizing that these nations may have to compete with other nations who may have cheaper prices;

Realizing that these nations’ economies could be devastated by such competition at the early stages of their advancement of industry;

Acknowledging that allowing any tariff in an impoverished nation may stifle any attempt of another nation to sell products in said nation;

Believing however, a reasonable tariff during the early stage of any given nations advancement of industry would better our world and our international economy as a whole. This is because the once the advancement of industry is reasonably paced the tariffs can be lifted and free trade can resume again, but with a more economically and industrially sound nation;

Hereby,

1. Mandates that:
a) In impoverished and countries that are just beginning to develop their industry a reasonable tariff may be set. (Impoverished nations are nations whose economy is in great jeopardy, are incredibly economically unstable (hence are in a depression or recession as an example), or have an incredible amount of inflation (to exceed 10% in 5 years). Developing countries are defined as countries that either have never made an attempt to advance their industry or have made a past attempt and failed.)
b) The tariffs tax at any given time may not exceed more than 8% on imported items.
c) The items to be taxed are only those that the taxing country is already making. Thus, if a country was importing automobiles into a country that make uranium, the country that was receiving the automobiles could not tax the automobiles.
d) Any tariff can last for a maximum of only 5 years on any given product.

2. This will not restrict the rights of nations in any of the following ways:
a) Nations that are importing items into impoverished and developing nations may lower the price of their item to increase competition if they wish.
b) Developing and impoverished nations may not set these tariffs if they wish.
c) Put a lower tax on any item in any tariff than that in 1b.
d) Not industrially develop if they wish.
I am pursuing my undergraduate degree from Texas A&M University in Psychology and Spanish. My goal in life is to be a marriage and family counselor. If you have questions about me or my life, just ask!

My girlfriend and I blog about Christian & general marriage, relationship, and dating advice!

NS member since 2009. WA Resolution Author (mostly all repealed), NS sports fanatic.

Bergnovinaia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Re: [Draft] Tariffs for Developing Nations

Postby Bergnovinaia » Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:56 pm

anybody out there?
I am pursuing my undergraduate degree from Texas A&M University in Psychology and Spanish. My goal in life is to be a marriage and family counselor. If you have questions about me or my life, just ask!

My girlfriend and I blog about Christian & general marriage, relationship, and dating advice!

NS member since 2009. WA Resolution Author (mostly all repealed), NS sports fanatic.

Tanara
Spokesperson

Founded: Dec 13, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Tanara » Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:22 pm

OOC: I thought that the WA couldn't tax, and in the end that is what this is doing, or so I think.
Spiral Dance

"Is it arrogance, or mystery to join the dance?
To pay your money, mark the sequence, take the chance.
To play at prophecy with trembling hands;
To read the words in the code of life and its commands.
May gentleness, and grace guide all we do
With the song that weaves the generations through." K. Marr

Bergnovinaia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Bergnovinaia » Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:26 pm

Tanara wrote:OOC: I thought that the WA couldn't tax, and in the end that is what this is doing, or so I think.

No it's allowing developing or impoverished nations to set tariffs. So the WA is doing nothing other than allowing it.

Flibbleites
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jan 02, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Flibbleites » Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:00 pm

Bergnovinaia wrote:
Tanara wrote:OOC: I thought that the WA couldn't tax, and in the end that is what this is doing, or so I think.

No it's allowing developing or impoverished nations to set tariffs. So the WA is doing nothing other than allowing it.

And what's stopping nations from implementing tariffs now?

Bob Flibble
WA Representative

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:33 am

OOC: And if nations didn't already have the right to impose such tariffs then a WA resolution on the subject would only be 'legal' if it granted the right to ALL of them (because,from the OOC viewpoint, they would ALL receive the relevant changes to their stats anyway...), rather than selectively to only the "impoverished" and "developing" ones.
Last edited by Bears Armed on Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Bergnovinaia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Bergnovinaia » Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:09 pm

So could I add in a claus allowing other nations to use taiffs too?

Tanara
Spokesperson

Founded: Dec 13, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Tanara » Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:46 pm

Tanara wrote:
OOC: I thought that the WA couldn't tax, and in the end that is what this is doing, or so I think.

Fibble wites in return:No it's allowing developing or impoverished nations to set tariffs. So the WA is doing nothing other than allowing it.

Nations already Have the right to set tariffs already, don't they? I know of no game mechanic or rules that says they can't should they chose to.
Spiral Dance

"Is it arrogance, or mystery to join the dance?
To pay your money, mark the sequence, take the chance.
To play at prophecy with trembling hands;
To read the words in the code of life and its commands.
May gentleness, and grace guide all we do
With the song that weaves the generations through." K. Marr

Meekinos
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 10, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Meekinos » Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:06 am

Is there a point to this? Tariffs and other protectionist measures are perfectly legal, why do we need some resolution on this?
Ambassador Gavriil Floros
Meekinos' Official WA Ambassador
Deputy Treasurer, North Pleides Merchant's Syndicate
CEO & Financial Manager of Delta Energy Ltd.
Madame Elina Nikodemos
Executive Senior Delegate
Educator
The Hellenic Republic of Meekinos
Factbook: Your Friendly Guide to Meekinos
The paranoid, isolationist, xenophobic capitalists.

The Palentine
Diplomat

Founded: May 18, 2005
Left-Leaning College State

Postby The Palentine » Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:07 am

Meekinos wrote:Is there a point to this? Tariffs and other protectionist measures are perfectly legal, why do we need some resolution on this?

Because a Free trade resolution is in queue. You know how anti capitalists and anti Free traders are...."Give us Proctectionist Tarriffs or give us death!" :p
Excelsior,
Sen. Horatio Sulla
Last edited by The Palentine on Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
"There aren't quite as many irredeemable folks as everyone thinks."
-The Dourian Embassy

"Yeah, but some (like Sen. Sulla) have to count for, like 20 or 30 all by themselves."
-Hack

Meekinos
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 10, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Meekinos » Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:19 am

The Palentine wrote:
Meekinos wrote:Is there a point to this? Tariffs and other protectionist measures are perfectly legal, why do we need some resolution on this?

Because a Free trade resolution is in queue. You know how anti capitalists and anti Free traders are...."Give us Proctectionist Tarriffs or give us death!" :p
Excelsior,
Sen. Horatio Sulla

Indeed. They need to be introduced to the wonders that is profit. Besides, they can have their protectionist tariffs without the hassle of passing a resolution. Last we checked, there was nothing barring the existence of such measures. Of course, it is their own loss should they foolishly engage in such economically unsound activities.
Ambassador Gavriil Floros
Meekinos' Official WA Ambassador
Deputy Treasurer, North Pleides Merchant's Syndicate
CEO & Financial Manager of Delta Energy Ltd.
Madame Elina Nikodemos
Executive Senior Delegate
Educator
The Hellenic Republic of Meekinos
Factbook: Your Friendly Guide to Meekinos
The paranoid, isolationist, xenophobic capitalists.

History land
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 28, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby History land » Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:29 am

Tariffs are a restriction of free trade and competion. We should live in the world where competion from any nation is allowed. If a forigen industry is doing better than a domestic industry. The domestic industry ahs options is biggest one is offer a better product.

Competion and Free Trade provides prosperity for all nations.
The Greater Americanian Air Force certainly had it's ass kicked
-Greater Americania during the war in Comaack

http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=18687

Grays Harbor
Post Marshal

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Grays Harbor » Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:55 pm

We had several comments to make on this, however, most have been coveered by previous speakers. We do wish to be on record as opposing the very idea of selective tariffs permitted to certain nations alone. There is not enough ale in the galaxy to encourage us to vote in favour of this.
Everything you know about me is wrong. Or a rumor. Something like that.

Not Ta'veren

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly