NATION

PASSWORD

Issue Discussion

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Burchadinger
Minister

Founded: Jun 12, 2009
Ex-Nation

Issue Discussion

Postby Burchadinger » Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:09 am

This is how it works. You post the full issue u want to discuss. And you tell what u aim to get. EXAMPLE:

Scientists at a private medical research laboratory have announced that they have produced a drug which will combat (COUNTRY NAME) most notorious malady - Spon Plague.
The Debate

1. "This pill is the only known and unknown cure for the Spon Plague!" proclaims Professor Alexei Licorish, the inventor of the cure. "But if we are to go ahead with the production of this drug, we must get some government support. We're set to make a fortune from this drug - the money we earn will help us develop even more cures for other as-yet untreatable diseases. Some people won't be able to afford it of course, but hard cheese on them: they should have got a paying job while they were still capable."

2. "That's a disgraceful way to think!" says equal rights activist, Max Trax. "So the people who need the most help shouldn't get any? I propose that the government subsidises the production of all drugs so everyone can benefit from them, rich or not! That way the money-hungry corporations won't profit from the suffering of the masses. Of course there will be the matter of a small tax rise to fund it - but what's that when lives will be saved?"

3. "I can't believe what I'm hearing," deplores well-respected religious leader, Aaron Nagasawa. "If God didn't want people to have this disease he wouldn't have created it in the first place. This is completely against the will of God and if the government allows this drug to go on sale we will all be doomed to an afterlife in a dark and fiery place! Now let's end this madness and abolish the production of pharmaceuticals and drugs altogether!"

I want high political freedom and civil rights.

Thats the example. Happy Discussing!
Runners Up - DBC XXV
Third Place - AOCAF XXXIII

Call me Burch and not Burcha

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Re: Issue Discussion

Postby Bears Armed » Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:11 am

This belongs in Got Issues?...
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Burchadinger
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Burchadinger » Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:12 am

A Capital City For Burchadinger?
The Issue

As Burchadinger continues to grow, so too does its government. The number of politicians needed to administrate and legislate the country is rapidly surpassing the Houses of Parliament's capacity with ministers often requiring periscopes to see the House Speaker. Some are suggesting a new building be built in another city - a city which would then be designated as the capital city of Burchadinger.
The Debate

1. "I would like to make a humble recommendation for my own proud jurisdiction," says Al Thiesen, mayor of one of Burchadinger's major cities. "It would be an honour for our city to be host to the seat of power! If it will seal the deal, you can change the name if you like..."

2. "Hah! Capital city indeed!" shouts Calvin Summers, a fervent anarchist, spilling leaflets all over the floor. "What's wrong with being free as the wind? Do you really think one city could possibly represent a whole country? Its people? I've had enough of the man trying to screw us down all the time! Say NO to a national capital!"

3. "I can accept and even approve of having a capital city," says Max Chicago, a military strategist. "But we'd be putting all our eggs in one basket if we choose somewhere too vulnerable! Believe me, capitals always get the brunt of the enemy attack because of their political and economic importance. We should put aside a few billion reichsmarks and build our capital city underground. They'll never bomb us there!"

4. "I've got an idea," says theme park tycoon, Lindsay Tew. "My company will happily sponsor the new establishment and cover all costs - as long as it's made to our specifications. We've already got plans drawn up to put a roller coaster straight through the House of Commons! A cafe, some kiosks for ice cream... maybe even a water slide or two in the lobby! It'll be one part legislative seat of government, one part family-fun theme park! Tourists will flock from around the globe!"

5. "What's wrong with the old building?" asks Jazz Johnson, a noted disestablishmentarian. "We don't need some kind of fancy capital city just to make the bigwig ministers feel important! If there's no room, then fire politicians until there IS room. Have you never heard of doing more with less?"

I really want to name my capital but I want my Civil Rights and political freedoms to be still high. Which option is the closest to what i want?
Runners Up - DBC XXV

Cynthia McKinney
Spokesperson

Founded: Dec 11, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Cynthia McKinney » Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:15 pm

I like option 4 the best since it increases tourism, doesn't cause any increase in taxes since its paid for by a private business, and has no effect on civil rights and political freedom.

The Emmerian Unions
Minister

Founded: Jan 02, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The Emmerian Unions » Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:58 pm

Burchadinger wrote:A Capital City For Burchadinger?
The Issue

As Burchadinger continues to grow, so too does its government. The number of politicians needed to administrate and legislate the country is rapidly surpassing the Houses of Parliament's capacity with ministers often requiring periscopes to see the House Speaker. Some are suggesting a new building be built in another city - a city which would then be designated as the capital city of Burchadinger.
The Debate

1. "I would like to make a humble recommendation for my own proud jurisdiction," says Al Thiesen, mayor of one of Burchadinger's major cities. "It would be an honour for our city to be host to the seat of power! If it will seal the deal, you can change the name if you like..."

2. "Hah! Capital city indeed!" shouts Calvin Summers, a fervent anarchist, spilling leaflets all over the floor. "What's wrong with being free as the wind? Do you really think one city could possibly represent a whole country? Its people? I've had enough of the man trying to screw us down all the time! Say NO to a national capital!"

3. "I can accept and even approve of having a capital city," says Max Chicago, a military strategist. "But we'd be putting all our eggs in one basket if we choose somewhere too vulnerable! Believe me, capitals always get the brunt of the enemy attack because of their political and economic importance. We should put aside a few billion reichsmarks and build our capital city underground. They'll never bomb us there!"

4. "I've got an idea," says theme park tycoon, Lindsay Tew. "My company will happily sponsor the new establishment and cover all costs - as long as it's made to our specifications. We've already got plans drawn up to put a roller coaster straight through the House of Commons! A cafe, some kiosks for ice cream... maybe even a water slide or two in the lobby! It'll be one part legislative seat of government, one part family-fun theme park! Tourists will flock from around the globe!"

5. "What's wrong with the old building?" asks Jazz Johnson, a noted disestablishmentarian. "We don't need some kind of fancy capital city just to make the bigwig ministers feel important! If there's no room, then fire politicians until there IS room. Have you never heard of doing more with less?"

I really want to name my capital but I want my Civil Rights and political freedoms to be still high. Which option is the closest to what i want?

Option 1 is the safest as it just gives you the option to get the field.
The Cake is a lie!
<<Peace through Fear and Superior Firepower>>

STOP AMERICAN IMPERIALISM? America is ANTI-IMPERIAL!
Ifreann wrote:"And in world news, the United States has recently elected Bill Gates as God Emperor For All Time. Foreign commentators believe that Gates' personal fortune may have played a role in his victory, but criticism from the United States of Gates(as it is now known) has been sparse and brief."
For good Russian Rock Radio, go here.
Please note, I rarely go into NSG. If I post there, please do not expect a response from me.
ALL HAIL THE GODDESS REPLOID PRODUCTIONS!

Burchadinger
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Burchadinger » Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:28 pm

A recent, well-publicized UFO sighting over rural areas of Burchadinger has turned people's attention to the skies, and what... or who... might be up there.
The Debate

1. "This event proves one thing: there are other life-forms out there," says eccentric astronomer Aaron Falopian, "All we have to do is find them! What is the price of a few hundred Radio Telescopes compared to the benefit of living in peace and harmony with our brethren of the stars?"

2. "Spies! It's gotta be spies! A few planes or satellites from our enemies or 'allies' in our region," rages General May Fellow, head of Burchadinger's military, "The only way to keep those snoops out of our airspace is to patrol the streets 'n skies, and shoot 'em down! Even if they are some sort of little green aliens, a couple of SAM batteries and a few flak cannons'll keep 'em from abducting our eagles."

3. "Extraterrestrial lifeforms? Alien invaders? I don't know why we even have to listen to such idiocy!" complains prize-winning physicist Bianca Clinton. "In my opinion, the idea of 'aliens' on another planet is highly unlikely, and even if they did exist, getting from there to here is technically impossible! I say we forget this nonsense and stop spending our tax reichsmarks on it. Leave this sort of foolishness to the people who attend those 'trekkie' conventions."

I'm not really sure what the results for any of them r. But i'm looking for high civil and political rights.
Runners Up - DBC XXV

Return to Got Issues?