NATION

PASSWORD

[Scrapped]

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
Hayteria
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 18, 2005
Ex-Nation

[Scrapped]

Postby Hayteria » Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:48 am

Apart from how potentially-identifying the first post of this thread was, I figured I'd edit it again, just to prove the following things were said on 6/6/2016.

A lot of what I had to say on this site was an act, often out of curiosity as to how people would respond, such as pretending to think it was always wrong to even participate in 4chan, (I think what I was expecting people to say was that it's more meaningful to figure out what makes them tick than merely wash your hands of it.) Or pretending to think that if you don't know why a given anecdote-author would lie you must assume that he or she is telling the truth. (I think what I was expecting people to say was that this was a false dichotomy because there could always be reasons one might not anticipate.)

And that's just counting examples of things I know were an act.

I felt justified in this because I had come to resent so much of the groupthink and strawmanning and jumping-to-conclusions on the part of so many others on this site, (which itself may have been an act on their part for all I know, but that wouldn't exactly be a point in their favour) and figured that if there were any sites I could feel justified lying to, it's sites that were full of people I found obnoxious, including but not limited to this site.

Incidentally, I've since done the same on sites I didn't find so obnoxious, probably out of force of habit.

Talking to specific NSG users since quitting the forum years ago, I reminded myself that at the very least there are people here who are not so obnoxious, so I regret it more than I thought I could.

I'm pretty sure I genuinely held the opinion that surveillance cameras would be a worthwhile addition to schools, though. I still do, just not quite as strongly as before.
Last edited by Hayteria on Mon Jun 06, 2016 2:13 pm, edited 8 times in total.

Lunatic Goofballs
Retired Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Lunatic Goofballs » Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:51 am

But if there are surveillance cameras everywhere, how are mischievous types supposed to get away with stuff?

I didn't learn how to loop video feeds for years after high school. :(
Life's Short. Munch Tacos.

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
Hunter S. Thompson

Gagatron
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Gagatron » Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:52 am

My school already has surveillance cameras.
God, I want to dream again,
Take me where I've never been.
I wanna go there,
This time I'm not scared.
Music, love, peace, joy, history, religion, foreign cultures, foreign language, philosophy, debating, etc.

Zilam wrote:It always strikes me funny when people always complain "If God is good, why does he allow evil to exist"....Yet when God destroys every evil person in a flood, its a bad thing.

All sin is deserving of death.

Ashmoria
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 19, 2004
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Ashmoria » Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:02 am

Gagatron wrote:My school already has surveillance cameras.

has it helped?
whatever

Gagatron
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Gagatron » Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:05 am

Ashmoria wrote:
Gagatron wrote:My school already has surveillance cameras.

has it helped?

I guess. We never really have problems.
God, I want to dream again,
Take me where I've never been.
I wanna go there,
This time I'm not scared.
Music, love, peace, joy, history, religion, foreign cultures, foreign language, philosophy, debating, etc.

Zilam wrote:It always strikes me funny when people always complain "If God is good, why does he allow evil to exist"....Yet when God destroys every evil person in a flood, its a bad thing.

All sin is deserving of death.

Hayteria
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 18, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Hayteria » Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:05 am

Lunatic Goofballs wrote:But if there are surveillance cameras everywhere, how are mischievous types supposed to get away with stuff?

Well, obviously they shouldn't be allowed to get away with that stuff anyway. Unless it's "harmless" mischief that the school has some sort of unreasonable rules against, in which case it's better to focus on confronting those rules than on trying to hide from them. (And even then, I'd be careful about assuming certain kinds of mischief to be harmless. Even graffiti can have serious consequences, such as someone having an allergic reaction to a chemical in whatever was used to write said graffiti.)
Last edited by Hayteria on Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Charlotte Ryberg
The Muse of the Westcountry

Founded: Mar 14, 2007
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Charlotte Ryberg » Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:05 am

I'm not sure if we need to be snooping to all the kids on public schools. I think we just need more staff to look after the kids.

The Norwegian Blue
Minister

Founded: Jul 21, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby The Norwegian Blue » Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:27 am

Unless the school in question has a serious problem with crimes where surveillance cameras might be of some use - e.g. valuables being stolen from classrooms or lockers - I cannot see them as anything other than a colossal waste of money. Schools rarely have enough funding to cover things that actually matter, and it'd be crazy to siphon away a big chunk of that money for something that is utterly unnecessary in most schools.
Women are as good as men , I dont know why they constantly whine about things. - Reichskommissariat ost
...if you poop just to poop, then it is immoral. - Bandarikin
And if abortion was illegal, there wouldn't be male doctors - Green Port
Stop making a potato punch itself in the scrote after first manifesting a fist and a scrote. - RepentNowOrPayLater
And...you aren't aroused by the premise of a snot-hocking giraffe leaping through a third story bay window after a sex toy? What are you...I mean...are you some kind of weirdo or something? - Hammurab

Grave_n_idle
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 11, 2004
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Grave_n_idle » Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:41 am

Gagatron wrote:
Ashmoria wrote:has it helped?

I guess. We never really have problems.

My school didn't have surveillance cameras, and we never really had problems.

Correlation =/= cause.

(Not that I'm actually opposing surveillance. In theory. Specifics might change my opinion on a case-by-case basis).
I identify as
a problem

Desperate Measures
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Desperate Measures » Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:44 am

Armed robots would do better.
"My loathings are simple: stupidity, oppression, crime, cruelty, soft music."
- Vladimir Nabokov US (1899 - 1977)
Also, me.
“Man has such a predilection for systems and abstract deductions that he is ready to distort the truth intentionally, he is ready to deny the evidence of his senses only to justify his logic”
- Fyodor Dostoyevsky Russian Novelist and Writer, 1821-1881
"All Clock Faces Are Wrong." - Gene Ray, Prophet(?) http://www.timecube.com
A simplified maxim on the subject states "An atheist would say, 'I don't believe God exists'; an agnostic would say, 'I don't know whether or not God exists'; and an ignostic would say, 'I don't know what you mean when you say, "God exists" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ignosticism

Call to power
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 13, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Call to power » Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:49 am

Hayteria wrote:We need surveillance cameras in public schools, so that we can have real evidence, of what was really happening, and punish people accordingly.

thats not how CCTV works and regardless of how that is in no way like the real world, not a single country could afford to use such methods and keep up a competitive education system.

but no lets put all that on hold so you can catch up with the concept that people will never see things the way you saw them
Last edited by Call to power on Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Parkus Empire wrote:Theoretically, why would anyone put anytime into anything but tobacco, intoxicants and sex?

Vareiln wrote:My god, CtP is right...
Not that you haven't been right before, but... Aw, hell, you get what I meant.

Tubbsalot wrote:replace my opinions with CtP's.

Dimoniquid
Powerbroker

Founded: Jul 10, 2009
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Dimoniquid » Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:54 am

Lunatic Goofballs wrote:But if there are surveillance cameras everywhere, how are mischievous types supposed to get away with stuff?

Film yourself doing something rude, take the wire out from the camera, plug your camera in, and the play!

Brogavia
Negotiator

Founded: Sep 03, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Brogavia » Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:55 am

No, we don't. How are people suppose to have fun in high school i they can't get away with anything? No skipping class to sleep in the auditorium, no food fights, it makes senior pranks stupidly hard, no smoking in the bathrooms, no sneaking out to your car to smoke weed. Why do you hate fun?
Playing NS since Jan of 2006

1010102, Unjustly Deleted

Agent of the Timegate, if you expose me I'll kill you

Grave_n_idle
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Grave_n_idle » Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:57 am

Brogavia wrote:No, we don't. How are people suppose to have fun in high school i they can't get away with anything? No skipping class to sleep in the auditorium, no food fights, it makes senior pranks stupidly hard, no smoking in the bathrooms, no sneaking out to your car to smoke weed. Why do you hate fun?

Surveillance... will catch people doing stuff they oughtn't be doing... and that's an argument against?
I identify as
a problem

Grave_n_idle
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Grave_n_idle » Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:58 am

Call to power wrote:
Hayteria wrote:We need surveillance cameras in public schools, so that we can have real evidence, of what was really happening, and punish people accordingly.

thats not how CCTV works and regardless of how that is in no way like the real world, not a single country could afford to use such methods and keep up a competitive education system.

That sounds awfully speculative.
I identify as
a problem

The Imperial Navy
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The Imperial Navy » Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:00 am

Not far enough. We need surveillance cameras that fire lasers at unruly pupils. :)

Brogavia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Brogavia » Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:00 am

Grave_n_idle wrote:
Brogavia wrote:No, we don't. How are people suppose to have fun in high school i they can't get away with anything? No skipping class to sleep in the auditorium, no food fights, it makes senior pranks stupidly hard, no smoking in the bathrooms, no sneaking out to your car to smoke weed. Why do you hate fun?

Surveillance... will catch people doing stuff they oughtn't be doing... and that's an argument against?

Are you telling me you never cut class, once? Never broke any of the more meaningless rules?

Its part of high school. Everybody should be allowed to raise a little hell.

Novograd IV
Powerbroker

Founded: Nov 13, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Novograd IV » Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:01 am

Now we need to take another step, teacher intervention.

what good are those cameras if I can be openly hit in front of a teacher? or have a knife put to me in front of a class?
Novan Wiki (under [re]construction)

Economic Left/Right: -9.62
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.24

http://www.politicaltest.net/test/result/196124/

Grave_n_idle
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Grave_n_idle » Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:01 am

Brogavia wrote:
Grave_n_idle wrote:

Are you telling me you never cut class, once? Never broke any of the more meaningless rules?

I'm not telling you that, no. I totally cut class, more than once. Perhaps I shouldn't have.

The idea that everyone should be allowed to make the rules seems more like a personal preference than an argument.
I identify as
a problem

Novograd IV
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Novograd IV » Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:01 am

Brogavia wrote:
Grave_n_idle wrote:

i'm 15, i haven't broken a rule and a damn lot have been broken against me.

Brogavia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Brogavia » Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:03 am

Novograd IV wrote:
Brogavia wrote:

Get over it and have some fun. When you turn 18 everything that's not a felony gets wiped rom your record anyway.

Novograd IV
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Novograd IV » Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:07 am

Brogavia wrote:
Novograd IV wrote:

Get over it and have some fun. When you turn 18 everything that's not a felony gets wiped rom your record anyway.

Would if it ever stopped.

And my idea of 'fun' is as far away from people I know as possible, because I share no interests with anyone I know save for about 3 people, and we pretty much hate each other.

also NS =/= all US players, i'm in the UK :p

Rebels and Anarchists
Attaché

Founded: May 15, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Rebels and Anarchists » Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:13 am

I'd rather not have them, if you shield everybody from everything too early on in life, they're screwed in adulthood. I'd rather get my ass whooped in school and learn to fight than not learn to fight and get my ass whooped later on by a mugger. Not to mention it takes away all the fun if you can't break a few rules 8) .
Last edited by Rebels and Anarchists on Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Call to power
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 13, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Call to power » Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:19 am

Grave_n_idle wrote:That sounds awfully speculative.

only CCTV is very very expensive and security guards to watch it here make at least 6.50 an hour so no your father is speculative!

and erm these cameras would be everywhere right :unsure:
Last edited by Call to power on Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Parkus Empire wrote:Theoretically, why would anyone put anytime into anything but tobacco, intoxicants and sex?

Vareiln wrote:My god, CtP is right...
Not that you haven't been right before, but... Aw, hell, you get what I meant.

Tubbsalot wrote:replace my opinions with CtP's.

Alien Space Bats
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 28, 2009
Ex-Nation

Re: We need surveillance cameras in public schools.

Postby Alien Space Bats » Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:19 am

I think that socializing young people to accept that someone else is always going to be looking over their shoulders is probably not a good idea.
"These states are just saying 'Yes, I used to beat my girlfriend, but I haven't since the restraining order, so we don't need it anymore.'" — Stephen Colbert, Comedian, on Shelby County v. Holder

"Do you see how policing blacks by the presumption of guilt and policing whites by the presumption of innocence is a self-reinforcing mechanism?" — Touré Neblett, MSNBC Commentator and Social Critic

"You knew damn well I was a snake before you took me in."Songwriter Oscar Brown in 1963, foretelling the election of Donald J. Trump

President Donald J. Trump: Working Tirelessly to Make Russia Great Again

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General