NATION

PASSWORD

The Happiness Act - [SUBMITTED - PLEASE APPROVE]

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.
The Menki
Political Columnist

Founded: Aug 10, 2009
Ex-Nation

The Happiness Act - [SUBMITTED - PLEASE APPROVE]

Postby The Menki » Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:50 am

NOTING that many drugs exist today (such as salvia divinorum) which are both enjoyable and harmless;

BELIEVING happiness to be a basic human right;

ASSERTING that many populations could reach a greater standard of happiness if they were to regularly use;

FURTHER NOTING that in some WA Member States the use of recreational drugs is condemned, thereby reducing the overall potential happiness of the population;

1. CALLS UPON all WA member states to abolish all prohibitions on recreational drugs;

2. ESTABLISHES the International Consortium on Recreational Drugs (ICoRD);

3. ASSIGNS 1% of WA dues to ICoRD;

4. DICTATES that ICoRD shall be responsible for:

a. Educating the respective populations of WA member nations about the various types of recreational drugs and their effects;

b. Providing, subsidised and/or free of charge on a needs-adjusted basis, harmless recreational drugs to all WA member state citizens over the age of 18 (16 with parental permission);
United in Diversity

The Palentine
Diplomat

Founded: May 18, 2005
Left-Leaning College State

Re: The Happiness Act - [SUBMITTED - PLEASE APPROVE]

Postby The Palentine » Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:30 am

Kids, this is your old friend, the good but unwholesome Senator Sulla speaking. The proposal written above is a good reason why you should not be smoking pot, or sniffing glue when contemplating writing proposals. Nothing good every will come out of it. So kids, I'm asking you to please just say NO!
"There aren't quite as many irredeemable folks as everyone thinks."
-The Dourian Embassy

"Yeah, but some (like Sen. Sulla) have to count for, like 20 or 30 all by themselves."
-Hack

Charlotte Ryberg
The Muse of the Westcountry

Founded: Mar 14, 2007
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Charlotte Ryberg » Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:44 am

The use and sale of drugs is a controversial topic among WA members, honoured ambassador to The Menki. Also, I cannot see what the proven benefits of recreational drugs are. Oh, and the WA does not a definite budget so it is difficult to determine whether it is worth it to force the WA to donate 1% of its profit.

Therefore, I regrettably cannot support this proposal.
Last edited by Charlotte Ryberg on Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Travancore-Cochin
Envoy

Founded: Jun 25, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Travancore-Cochin » Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:58 am

OOC

Wonders what the UnDelegate will have to say about this...

IC
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Ambassador from Travancore-Cochin, being a computer enthusiast with knowledge of what are called "programming languages" in Travancore-Cochin, types the following on to his personal computer, as soon as he hears the text of the proposal being read out:

Code: Select all
for (loopVar = 0; loopVar < 1000; loopVar ++)
{
    NO ();
}
Last edited by Travancore-Cochin on Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:14 am

"And yet some people still wonder why the High Council of Clans chose to end our membership in this organisation..."

The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Altani WA Mission
Secretary

Founded: Jun 08, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Altani WA Mission » Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:18 am

The Altani Federation has no issue with this legislation. However, given the stance many nations have towards recreational drugs, we also know from long experience that there is almost no chance of something like this even making it to vote, much less passing.

-Irina Misheli, Ambassador
Last edited by Altani WA Mission on Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
The WA Mission of the Altani Federation
Honor above all else!

Allbeama
Senator

Founded: May 26, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Allbeama » Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:25 am

The People of Allbeama express their desire to retain full sovereignty on this particular issue as it is very grey to us and we feel that we should have "wiggle room" as far as legislating this political, social, economic, and moral issue.
Agonarthis Terra, My Homeworld.
The Internet loves you. mah Factbook

Hope lies in the smouldering rubble of Empires.

Krioval
Minister

Founded: Jan 24, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Krioval » Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:02 pm

The "Happiness Act"? Seriously? As if drug use automatically improves the mood of a nation's population? I don't really know where to begin. The Great Chiefdom is not opposed to legalizing drugs. Many recreational substances are perfectly legal to buy, sell, possess, and use in Krioval. This proposal's title is overly flippant, however, and comes across as merely crass.

[Lord] Ambassador Darvek Tyvok
Great Chiefdom of Krioval

Meekinos
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 10, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Meekinos » Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:23 pm

While we have no doubt this is going to be deemed nothing more than a "silly proposal", we must admit, we find the spirit of it to be positive.
Ambassador Gavriil Floros
Meekinos' Official WA Ambassador
Deputy Treasurer, North Pleides Merchant's Syndicate
CEO & Financial Manager of Delta Energy Ltd.
Madame Elina Nikodemos
Executive Senior Delegate
Educator
The Hellenic Republic of Meekinos
Factbook: Your Friendly Guide to Meekinos
The paranoid, isolationist, xenophobic capitalists.

Tanaara
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 27, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Tanaara » Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:38 pm

"What some people define as 'recreational drugs' and what others so define can be vastly different lists. Some species may find a drug not only harmless but completely unaffecting their species, while another species may react to that same exact drug in a fatal manner. 'One size' especially when it comes to physical interaction with pharmachology is not a good idea.

I might suggest that the writer of this proposal create a specific definition and list of recreational drugs..." The UnDelegate chokes for a moment and can no longer keep a completely straight face. He's still managing to stiffle his laughter just enough...

"Oh I was trying, so very very hard...I got called mean yesterday don't cha' know. But this is ludicrus. There are legal recreational drugs within my nation, but I very strongly that this Must be an issue for each individual nation to address."

Then he rereads the title and loses it. Slumping in his chair, his slender body rocked with side splitting laighter he is unable to speak coherently for a good five minutes. Eventually his chuckles cease and he looks at the Delegate from The Menki and says crisply. "All we might be able to guarantee is the freedom to pursue happiness. Happiness in and of itself can not ever be guaranteed, and certainly not by chemical injestion!...Ludicrus!"

"Don't do your drugs before writing proposals. Listen to the good - albiet strangely unwholesome - Senator Sula - it really is okay to just say NO!"..."Hey Sula, how were the cat girls yesterday?" He quips as he looked about noting the various reactions.

He looks at the Delegate from Bears Armed, hiding behind it's large and furry palm, noding in sad agreement. "When Mister Bear has to hide, that says alot!

OOC: Illegal, real world reference,
The mathematical probability of a common cat doing exactly as it pleases is the one scientific absolute in the world. -Lynn M. Osband

"We're not so blase, not so willing to accept that we're safe and we can let someone do our security for us. We're not going to sit there and wait for somebody else to do it because if you wait, it might be too late." Jennifer Allen re: Northwest Airlines Flight 253 - quoted for the Win!

Anemos Major
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jun 01, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Anemos Major » Sat Aug 15, 2009 6:15 am

The Holy Empire of Anemos Major
Holy Office of Foreign Affairs- Department of WA Representation
Re: Approval of the Happiness Act

Considering the very aggressive stance the Anemonian state currently maintains towards the trade and usage of controlled substances, said legislation being passed would result in our nation withdrawing from the halls of the WA. Whilst we will not interfere with your admittedly questionable laws, do not try and force them upon us.

And if any of your drug trading vessels are found within our waters, do not expect to see the crew again. They will be treated as nothing more than pirates and petty criminals.

The Palentine
Diplomat

Postby The Palentine » Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:24 am

"Don't do your drugs before writing proposals. Listen to the good - albiet strangely unwholesome - Senator Sula - it really is okay to just say NO!"..."Hey Sula, how were the cat girls yesterday?" He quips as he looked about noting the various reactions.

Senator Sulla smiles most unwholesomely and says,
"Finest kind!"
-The Dourian Embassy

"Yeah, but some (like Sen. Sulla) have to count for, like 20 or 30 all by themselves."
-Hack

Kalininvia
Civilian

Founded: Aug 14, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Kalininvia » Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:38 am

If this proposal were to come to a vote, given peoples general views towards recreational drugs, it is highly unlikely it would be passed.

I would not support this proposal.

Krioval
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Krioval » Sat Aug 15, 2009 1:05 pm

Anemos Major wrote:The Holy Empire of Anemos Major
Holy Office of Foreign Affairs- Department of WA Representation
And if any of your drug trading vessels are found within our waters, do not expect to see the crew again. They will be treated as nothing more than pirates and petty criminals.

Your Excellency has heard of simply refusing vessels the right to enter a given port, I should hope.

[Lord] Ambassador Darvek Tyvok
Great Chiefdom of Krioval

Anemos Major
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Anemos Major » Sat Aug 15, 2009 3:47 pm

Listening to the delegate from Krioval, Lord Fyrkantei shrugged, and eventually nodded. "Yes, we have indeed. But look at it this way. We refuse these... idiots entry, and they try to come back in again, motivated by the admittedly most powerful human motivation; greed. On the other hand, if we board their ships, seize the aforementioned substances, put them in prison for life, sink their ship and burn their... shipment, a lesson will be put across to all those other idiots trying to do the same thing. Drug related crime has not occurred for more than fifteen years in this nation, Lord Ambassador. You would do well to return to me when you can say the same about your state."
Last edited by Anemos Major on Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Krioval
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Krioval » Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:00 pm

Anemos Major wrote:Yes, we have indeed. But look at it this way. We refuse these... idiots entry, and they try to come back in again, motivated by the admittedly most powerful human motivation; greed. On the other hand, if we board their ships, seize the aforementioned substances, put them in prison for life, sink their ship and burn their... shipment, a lesson will be put across to all those other idiots trying to do the same thing. Drug related crime has not occurred for more than fifteen years in this nation, Lord Ambassador. You would do well to return to me when you can say the same about your state.

I do understand Your Excellency's position on the matter. A nation's territorial waters and airspace belong to that nation. I would hope that if a Krioval-based craft were to venture a bit too close to your territory that we would receive warning prior to capture. That said, the Great Chiefdom does not condone trafficking of substances or materials banned by law in those nations banning said substances or materials. With regard to drug-related crimes, most recreational substances known are legal in Krioval; we do not, by definition, suffer from drug crimes in the Great Chiefdom.

Anemos Major
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Anemos Major » Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:10 pm

"By definition, Lord Ambassador. And despite what your nation may be like, illegal drug dealing of any kind, which includes nearly every single recreational substance with the exception of alcohol and caffeine, will result in a simple, undebateable one year in prison if found guilty. The fact that we give them a warning in the first place is, if I may say so, quite generous, considering exactly what they're trying to do within our borders; namely, glean profits through the act of betraying and using our citizens."

Tjennewell
Bureaucrat

Founded: Jun 28, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Tjennewell » Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:55 am

So it is artificial happiness you want? Drugs tend to fake the existence or non-existence of certain phenomena. Think about pain killers for example. Can they be helpful under certain circumstances? Sure, they can. But do they actually fight the problem/illness that is causing the pain? No, sadly not.

Happiness by massive intake of recreational drugs will not provide any true happiness, just inebriation. I am not against discussing the legit use of recreational drugs, but I am opposed to promoting them falsely as a way to happiness.
Lord Aureion Silverfall
Archon of the Order of the Hand and Paw, Ambassador to the WA

Burchadinger
Minister

Founded: Jun 12, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Burchadinger » Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:59 am

Newbie. Dont know how to make a proposal. U also over reacted by saying PLEASE APPROVE. We're not asses. Delegate of The Sific over and out.
Runners Up - DBC XXV
Third Place - AOCAF XXXIII

Call me Burch and not Burcha

Austraria of Lu Kewen
Political Columnist

Founded: Jul 27, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Austraria of Lu Kewen » Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:02 am

There is happiness, and there is 'happiness'. Being on a drug high is not lasting happiness, and the title of this proposal is just a ...little... naive.

Hirota
Powerbroker

Founded: Jan 22, 2004

Postby Hirota » Tue Aug 18, 2009 5:41 am

This thread has made me unhappy, thus infringing upon my basic human right.
When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger - Confucius
Known to trigger Grammar Nazis, Spelling Nazis, Actual Nazis, the emotionally stunted and pedants.
Those affected by the views, opinions or general demeanour of this poster should review this puppy picture. Those affected by puppy pictures should consider investing in an isolation tank.

Economic Left/Right: -3.25, Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.03
Isn't it curious how people will claim they are against tribalism, then pigeonhole themselves into tribes?

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
I use obviously in italics to emphasise the conveying of sarcasm. If I've put excessive obviously's into a post that means I'm being sarcastic

The Palentine
Diplomat

Postby The Palentine » Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:13 am

Hirota wrote:This thread has made me unhappy, thus infringing upon my basic human right.

Cheer up, old bean. At least we've left you with your life and liberty. :)
Excelsior,
Sen. Horatio Sulla
-The Dourian Embassy

-Hack

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly