NATION

PASSWORD

[DRAFT] International Basic Education Qualifications

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.
Merethin
Bureaucrat

Founded: Dec 18, 2023
Left-wing Utopia

[DRAFT] International Basic Education Qualifications

Postby Merethin » Sat Apr 13, 2024 8:42 am

Hello everyone,

This is my first WA proposal. I based this on the real-life Cambridge IGCSE and A Levels, which aim to provide an internationally recognized secondary education title for students.

There's probably quite a few things to be improved in this proposal, feel free to comment! I haven't touched much on the "core subjects" nor what "basic mandatory education" means, since I guess that will differ from nation to nation. And, as I said, this is my first WA proposal :)

This was partially covered by GA resolution Recognising Achievements Act, but it's been repealed.

Proposal Name: International Basic Education Qualifications

A resolution to promote funding and the development of education and the arts.

Category: Education and Creativity

Area of Effect: Educational

Proposed by: Merethin

The World Assembly,

Concerned about the possibility of a sapient being's education not being recognized in a different WA state than the one they were educated in because of different educational standards,

Wanting to address this problem while preserving nations' individual education systems,

Hereby:

1. CREATES a new international commission, the World Assembly Educational Qualifications Commission (WAEQC),
2. AUTHORIZES the WAEQC to establish examination centers within member nations,
3. REQUIRES the WAEQC to conduct bi-annual examinations for basic mandatory education in the previously mentioned examination centers, unless extraordinary circumstances prevent these examinations from happening,
4. MANDATES that these bi-annual examinations be open to any candidate of any age with citizenship in any WA member state,
5. INSTRUCTS the WAEQC to constitute an educational curriculum for the core subjects covered in the examinations so that candidates can prepare themselves for these examinations,
6. RECOMMENDS that member states implement an optional course teaching the WAEQC's curriculum in public education, and encourage private education centers to do so as well,
7. INSTRUCTS the WAEQC to issue mandatory education certificates to any candidate having passed the examinations with a success rate of at least 50%,
and REQUIRES that member states accept education certificates issued by the WAEQC with the same degree of validity as their own.
The Peaceful Utopia of Merethin - A friendly nation located on a remote island
Most NS stats and policies are canon
My alts/puppets: Tildurland, Skycloud, The Merethin City Axolotls and Cheesy Diplomatic Incidents

The Overmind
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 12, 2022
Authoritarian Democracy

Postby The Overmind » Sat Apr 13, 2024 2:47 pm

I can't give you very in-depth feedback right now, but I will point out that this is illegal. All of its operative clauses issue from the creation/existence of a committee. In order for a proposal to be legal, at least one of its operative clauses must entail the duty of a member nation or some entity therein to do or not do something independent of a committee.

I recommend reading the rules sticky, reading some passed resolutions -- particularly newer ones or ones in a similar subject area -- which you can search for here, and perusing the drafting threads on this forum.
Last edited by The Overmind on Sat Apr 13, 2024 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Free Palestine

Trans men are men | Trans women are women | Sex is non-binary
Assigned sex isn't biological sex | Trans rights are human rights

Neuroscientist | Formerly Heavens Reach | He/Him/His

Merethin
Bureaucrat

Founded: Dec 18, 2023
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Merethin » Sun Apr 14, 2024 1:38 am

The rules sticky says this:
A committee may be the primary agent of that effect, but forming it may not be the proposal's only action. Requiring member states to interact with the committee somehow is sufficient, provided the interaction creates a measurable burden - one more strenuous than simply filing paperwork.

My proposal has the following clauses:
6. RECOMMENDS that member states implement an optional course teaching the WAEQC's curriculum in public education, and encourage private education centers to do so as well,
and REQUIRES that member states accept education certificates issued by the WAEQC with the same degree of validity as their own.

Is this not enough to comply with the rules?

Edit: I've seen that the rule says "requiring member states", and the main clause which involves interaction with member states only "recommends". But would changing that be enough for the proposal to be legal?
Last edited by Merethin on Sun Apr 14, 2024 1:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Peaceful Utopia of Merethin - A friendly nation located on a remote island
Most NS stats and policies are canon
My alts/puppets: Tildurland, Skycloud, The Merethin City Axolotls and Cheesy Diplomatic Incidents

The Overmind
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 12, 2022
Authoritarian Democracy

Postby The Overmind » Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:23 am

Merethin wrote:The rules sticky says this:
A committee may be the primary agent of that effect, but forming it may not be the proposal's only action. Requiring member states to interact with the committee somehow is sufficient, provided the interaction creates a measurable burden - one more strenuous than simply filing paperwork.

My proposal has the following clauses:

Is this not enough to comply with the rules?

Edit: I've seen that the rule says "requiring member states", and the main clause which involves interaction with member states only "recommends". But would changing that be enough for the proposal to be legal?

The problem (i.e. the reason it is illegal) is that all of its actions are derived from a committee. A proposal must have at least one operative clause that actually requires or recommends that member nations or an entity therein do or do not do something that isn't tied to a committee. The problem isn't optionality -- it's that your proposal is entirely committee-dependent.

Edit: Apologies. I am describing the committees rule incorrectly. It is, as you have pointed out, sufficient to have a member nation interact with the committee in a substantive way. I think that this proposal may just make it over the hurdle for legality vis-à-vis the committees rule. Accepting something is, perhaps, even less of an action than filing paperwork is, but the recommendation that member nations implement a curriculum, even if it is still conceptually tied to the committee, does, I believe, make it legal under the committees rule.

There is, however, a different issue: if the only operative clause is a recommendation, then the category you submit the proposal under must have mild strength. It cannot, while it only recommends that member nations do something, be submitted as "Category: Education and Creativity," and "Area of Effect: Educational." Argument boxed below.

This is the relevant rule: "proposals, upon becoming resolutions are mandatory and binding on all member nations, thus language used must reflect this. Any language permitting nations to engage in non-compliance or opt-out are disallowed. However, for 'Mild' strength proposals, terminology such as "URGES", "RECOMMENDS" is acceptable."

You can read the relevant General Secretariat ruling here, [2020] GAS 2. The important line from this ruling was also highlighted in another, related, ruling here, [2023] GAS 4:

"[A category] selection is [acceptable] if there is a plausible argument that any of the resolution's significant effects fit within the category... an effect is significant when it is not trivial or speculative" (Bracketed summary words added by Imperium Anglorum).

That leaves you with two options: add a clause requiring member nations to do something either committee non-related, or substantive with respect to the committee; or try to find a category with mild strength that fits your proposal.
Last edited by The Overmind on Sun Apr 14, 2024 3:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
Free Palestine

Trans men are men | Trans women are women | Sex is non-binary
Assigned sex isn't biological sex | Trans rights are human rights

Neuroscientist | Formerly Heavens Reach | He/Him/His

Return to General Assembly