NATION

PASSWORD

The War on Christmas...

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Hornopolis
Negotiator

Founded: Sep 26, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Hornopolis » Fri Dec 17, 2010 3:16 pm

Teccor wrote: It's a "lets celebrate our skin color" day invented in the '60s.

Isn't that what Christmas is/was too?
4/11/11

Wilgrove
Post Czar

Founded: May 08, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Wilgrove » Fri Dec 17, 2010 3:16 pm

Imsogone wrote:
Teccor wrote:
Kwanzaa isn't a holiday.

Christmas wasn't a holiday, either, until the Catholic Church decided it was. Used to be Yule until the Catholic Church decided it should be Christmas.

Sorry, had to fix that for ya. :)

Teccor
Minister

Founded: Oct 09, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Teccor » Fri Dec 17, 2010 3:17 pm

Imsogone wrote:
Teccor wrote:
Kwanzaa isn't a holiday.

Christmas wasn't a holiday, either, until the Catholic Church decided it was.

Indeed. Christmas is the day we celebrate the birth of Christ, and also the day that pagans celebrate Yule, and many other religions, including Wiccans and Santerians (I believe) celebrate their holidays. I never denied this.
Last edited by Teccor on Fri Dec 17, 2010 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The modern definition of "racist" is someone who is winning an argument with a liberal leftist." -Peter Brimelow
Important People
Minister of Commerce: Alexander Ferinzei
Minister of International Affairs: Mayumi Thyme
Minister of Internal Affairs: Desmond Vito
Minister of Defence: Martin Langfield
Wars
Shataristani War (Treaty Reached)
WarLev
Peacetime
[Arms Build-up]
Small-Scale Conflict
Full-Scale War
You... you snowman! ~ New Kereptica, on Racial Slurs
I find flipping people off to work quite well ~ Buffet and Colbert, on Dating
Zetion wrote:Fuck PETA, my meat tastes better knwoing they dont want me to eat it.
Marquesan wrote:Furthermore, a news flash. This just in from the department of pancakes: F*ck waffles.

Hornopolis
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Hornopolis » Fri Dec 17, 2010 3:17 pm

Innsmothe wrote:
Hornopolis wrote:Wilgrove smash with words. Wilgrove victorious.

why do I always think of Snake, and not the Hulk?

Probably has something to do with your childhood. :D
4/11/11

Innsmothe
Senator

Founded: Sep 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Innsmothe » Fri Dec 17, 2010 3:18 pm

Hornopolis wrote:

Which is weird, because mostly likely Jesus was an Arab, Mediterranean(Roman rape explanation) or Kurdish.
Last edited by Innsmothe on Fri Dec 17, 2010 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ان الذي فشل لقتلي فقط يجعلني غريب
"an aledy feshel leqtely feqt yej'eleny gheryeb"
Ronald Reagan: "Well, what do you believe in? Do you want to abolish the rich?"
Olof Palme, the Prime Minister of Sweden: "No, I want to abolish the poor."

Your political compass
Economic Left/Right: -7.25
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.54

Teccor
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Teccor » Fri Dec 17, 2010 3:18 pm

Hornopolis wrote:

Not really.

Though, if you can find something to prove this I'll give an ounce of legitimacy to the argument that only Protestant Whites celebrate Christmas.
"The modern definition of "racist" is someone who is winning an argument with a liberal leftist." -Peter Brimelow
Important People
Wars
WarLev
Peacetime
[Arms Build-up]
Small-Scale Conflict
Full-Scale War
Zetion wrote:Fuck PETA, my meat tastes better knwoing they dont want me to eat it.
Marquesan wrote:Furthermore, a news flash. This just in from the department of pancakes: F*ck waffles.

Wilgrove
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Wilgrove » Fri Dec 17, 2010 3:19 pm

Innsmothe wrote:
Hornopolis wrote:Isn't that what Christmas is/was too?

Which is weird, because mostly likely Jesus was an Arab, Mediterranean(Roman rape explanation) or Kurdish.

I think Jesus would be a middle eastern Israelite.

Hornopolis
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Hornopolis » Fri Dec 17, 2010 3:20 pm

Innsmothe wrote:

I don't think I called him white...
4/11/11

Teccor
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Teccor » Fri Dec 17, 2010 3:21 pm

Hornopolis wrote:
Innsmothe wrote:

I don't think I called him white...

No, you didn't.

Blacks, whites, asians, mexicans, spanish, russians, indians, native americans and even some Jews I know celebrate Christmas. It's pretty nondenominational, with a Catholic undertone.
Important People
Wars
WarLev
Peacetime
[Arms Build-up]
Small-Scale Conflict
Full-Scale War

Imsogone
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 18, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Imsogone » Fri Dec 17, 2010 3:23 pm

Teccor wrote:

Not really.

Though, if you can find something to prove this I'll give an ounce of legitimacy to the argument that only Protestant Whites celebrate Christmas.

I'm totally amused by the fact that Protestants (from the root protest meaning protesting the Catholic Church and everything it stood for and practiced) have claimed all the Catholic holidays from Christmas (Christ's Mass) to Hallowe'en (All Hallow's Eve the day before All Soul's Day) (timing of aforesaid holidays set to coincide with Pagan holidays in order to confuse everyone into being Catholic). Silly Protestants, don't you know that you're still Catholic in origin? Just as Catholicism is still Judeo-Roman in origin. The only real Protestants are the ones who've stopped observing all the Catholic holidays.
"Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly" - Morticia Adams.

Innsmothe
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Innsmothe » Fri Dec 17, 2010 3:25 pm

Wilgrove wrote:
Innsmothe wrote:

Then he could be expected to be as I explained or be an amalgamation of the local races.

'Israelite' isn't a racial term as more of a regional term.

Your political compass

Wilgrove
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Wilgrove » Fri Dec 17, 2010 3:26 pm

Innsmothe wrote:
Wilgrove wrote:

Then he could be expected to be as I explained or be an amalgamation of the local races.

I know.

Teccor
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Teccor » Fri Dec 17, 2010 3:26 pm

Innsmothe wrote:
Wilgrove wrote:

He would have been, most likely, a semite.

And he would not have been white. *shakes fist at Catholic art of him as a white guy with a beard*
Important People
Wars
WarLev
Peacetime
[Arms Build-up]
Small-Scale Conflict
Full-Scale War

Innsmothe
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Innsmothe » Fri Dec 17, 2010 3:29 pm

Teccor wrote:
Innsmothe wrote:

And he would not have been white. *shakes fist at Catholic art of him as a white guy with a beard*

It's because they want to relate to their 'heros'
It's the same reason they depicted Arthur as a medieval knight, even though he would have lived in the 5-6th century.
Last edited by Innsmothe on Fri Dec 17, 2010 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Your political compass

Imsogone
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Imsogone » Fri Dec 17, 2010 3:30 pm

Teccor wrote:
Innsmothe wrote:

Haven't you heard of this Middle Eastern group - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adyghe_people. They were light skinned and, sometimes, blue-eyed and blond - they were also called Circassians.
"Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly" - Morticia Adams.

Innsmothe
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Innsmothe » Fri Dec 17, 2010 3:31 pm

Imsogone wrote:
Teccor wrote:He would have been, most likely, a semite.

Haven't you heard of this Middle Eastern group - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adyghe_people. They were light skinned and, sometimes, blue-eyed and blond - they were also called Circassians.

They live in Eastern europe...not the Arabian peninsular or Judea.
Last edited by Innsmothe on Fri Dec 17, 2010 3:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Your political compass

Zeyad
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Nov 16, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Zeyad » Fri Dec 17, 2010 3:34 pm

A war on Christmas? Really? That's strange then, I've had garland hanging outside of my apartment door and I've had no one waving pitchforks at me. I guess I'm just not that important to be angry mob'ed out of town. :(
KonataLand wrote:
Tergnitz wrote:OMG! The new Rebecca black song is almost as good as the death of Osama!

Seven in mornin', gotta get outta bed.
OSHITITSAMERICA *Shot in the head*

Tubbsalot wrote:
Folder Land wrote:In my opinion

And therein lies the problem, because your opinion is wrong.

Cannot think of a name wrote:You ever see a guy walking down the street, just swingin' his arms and yelling and you think, 'Man, is that guy getting swarmed by flies?' but you get up close to him and he's not. And you want to help out and go, 'Hey man, flies are pretty annoying and all, but...I don't see any flies,' but you know you're just as likely to take an elbow to your eyebone so you just keep walking?

Sebytania
Diplomat

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Sebytania » Fri Dec 17, 2010 3:43 pm

Imsogone wrote:
Teccor wrote:Not really.

I'm totally amused by the fact that Protestants (from the root protest meaning protesting the Catholic Church and everything it stood for and practiced) have claimed all the Catholic holidays from Christmas (Christ's Mass) to Hallowe'en (All Hallow's Eve the day before All Soul's Day) (timing of aforesaid holidays set to coincide with Pagan holidays in order to confuse everyone into being Catholic). Silly Protestants, don't you know that you're still Catholic in origin? Just as Catholicism is still Judeo-Roman in origin. The only real Protestants are the ones who've stopped observing all the Catholic holidays.

Protestants take a day off work during religious festives. If they had really taken all the Saint-this-and-that days to themselves, they couldn't get any work done. And that's somewhat against the Protestant work ethic.

But Catholics took the holiday first from us, and hence no Christian who celebrates Christmas, Easter et cetera is a true Christian, but rather a pagan who wants to please the Christians. Don't worry though, my brothers and sisters, you may follow the example of our ancestors and wash the baptism off in a river. Or, seeing as the water is pretty damn cold this time of the year (and the rivers are most likely frozen), I guess a sink will do just fine.

Teccor wrote:
Innsmothe wrote:

Kinda depends on the definition of "white". It's pretty mixed up in most areas of the world, especially in the border areas of "races", such as the one between Europe and Africa.

Unless, of course, you are a nazi white supremacist white nationalist. In that case, the definition of white is "whoever is not non-white", the definition of non-white being "whoever I don't like"

Bottle
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 30, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Bottle » Fri Dec 17, 2010 3:55 pm

Most Jews where I grew up celebrated "Christmas" in one form or another. There's a picture of me lighting menorah candles at my friend Mark's house, with a Christmas tree plainly visible behind us. I grew up feeling that the story of Jesus was equal in importance to the story of Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer in terms of Christmas mythology; the baby in the manger was just another one of the many Christmas stories that we were told.
"Until evolution happens like in pokemon I'll never accept your 'evidence'!" -Ifreann
"Well, excuuuuuuse me, feminist." -Ende

Imsogone
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Imsogone » Fri Dec 17, 2010 4:07 pm

Sebytania wrote:
Imsogone wrote:

Protestants take a day off work during religious festives. If they had really taken all the Saint-this-and-that days to themselves, they couldn't get any work done. And that's somewhat against the Protestant work ethic.

But Catholics took the holiday first from us, and hence no Christian who celebrates Christmas, Easter et cetera is a true Christian, but rather a pagan who wants to please the Christians. Don't worry though, my brothers and sisters, you may follow the example of our ancestors and wash the baptism off in a river. Or, seeing as the water is pretty damn cold this time of the year (and the rivers are most likely frozen), I guess a sink will do just fine.

Teccor wrote:He would have been, most likely, a semite.

Kinda depends on the definition of "white". It's pretty mixed up in most areas of the world, especially in the border areas of "races", such as the one between Europe and Africa.

Unless, of course, you are a nazi white supremacist white nationalist. In that case, the definition of white is "whoever is not non-white", the definition of non-white being "whoever I don't like"

Or a hot shower or bath, or a dip in the hot tub. We're not that fussy.

Or in some parts of the US, your surname - no matter how blond and blue-eyed you are, if your surname is Ramirez, you're not white
Last edited by Imsogone on Fri Dec 17, 2010 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Teccor
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Teccor » Fri Dec 17, 2010 4:11 pm

Imsogone wrote:[...] if your surname is Ramirez, you're not white.

RAMIREZ! Multiple footmobiles to the South-East!
Important People
Wars
WarLev
Peacetime
[Arms Build-up]
Small-Scale Conflict
Full-Scale War

Auremena
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 04, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Auremena » Fri Dec 17, 2010 4:13 pm

I'm annoyed at the music. One of my teachers has a singing hat, there is a house across the street that has lights timed to music, which plays loud all night, and mom is always playing it. It's annoying in other respects too. I've never been joyous and festive during the "season", but this year I am even less so.
NS's aviation and train sabelotodo.
Post-left anarchist and sad about it.
Killdash, Firsthome, Coffee Cakes, SSC, GCoCS, Snowy, Val, Aeqy, and Replevion are my bitches.
Foot worshipper: Lutvikkia. Dakky's mom, I had her with Nana.
The female Jim Morrison; not as talented, but just as attractive and self destructive. The one true heir to the throne of the Lizard King.
Some poetry I write sometimes
Tearing the MBTA a new one since 2014. The MTA too since 2016. Cover the world in trains 2030
COYS!

Mosasauria
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 13, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Mosasauria » Fri Dec 17, 2010 4:18 pm

The War on Christmas was just a media mud-slinging fest to get as many viewers as possible. It doesn't exist in either arguement.
Under New Management since 8/9/12

F1-Insanity
Minister

Founded: Jul 09, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby F1-Insanity » Fri Dec 17, 2010 4:30 pm

Imsogone wrote:[...] if your surname is Ramirez, you're not white.

But you can be 'ugly'.

Tuco Benedicto Pacífico Juan María Ramírez.
F1-Insanity Factbook
World Bowl XII: Winner
Why yes, I am a progressive and social human being, thanks for asking!
Think about the numbers in terms that we can relate to. Remove eight zeros from the numbers and pretend it is the household budget for the fictitious Jones family:
-Total annual income for the Jones family: $21,700
-Amount of money the Jones family spent: $38,200
-Amount of new debt added to the credit card: $16,500
-Outstanding balance on the credit card: $142,710

-Amount cut from the budget: $385
Help us Obi Ben Bernanki, printing more money is our only hope... for a big bonus! - Wall Street
Bush's 'faith' was the same political tool as Obama's 'hope'.

Geniasis
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 28, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Geniasis » Fri Dec 17, 2010 4:40 pm

Auremena wrote:I'm annoyed at the music. One of my teachers has a singing hat, there is a house across the street that has lights timed to music, which plays loud all night, and mom is always playing it. It's annoying in other respects too. I've never been joyous and festive during the "season", but this year I am even less so.

Honestly, I think that Christmas is one occasion when the religious music (and I'm talking about the old choral stuff) can be appreciated regardless of one's religious inclinations.

Granted, old choral music is always totally kickass.
Supporter of making [citation needed] the official NSG way to say "source?"

Myrensis wrote:I say turn it into a brothel, that way Muslims and Christians can be offended together.

DaWoad wrote:nah, she only fought because, as everyone knows, the brits can't make a decent purse to save their lives and she had a VERY important shopping trip coming up!

Reichskommissariat ost wrote:Women are as good as men , I dont know why they constantly whine about things.

Euronion wrote:because how dare me ever ever try to demand rights for myself, right men, we should just lie down and let the women trample over us, let them take awa our rights, our right to vote will be next just don't say I didn't warn ou

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General