NATION

PASSWORD

Show WA vote for, against, or abstained?

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.
Topid
Minister

Founded: Dec 29, 2008
Capitalizt

Show WA vote for, against, or abstained?

Postby Topid » Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:30 pm

I think I saw someone else suggest something like this sometime ago, but I cannot remember enough about it to find the thread...

In big regions it is very hard (if not impossible) for a delegate to find out what all your endorsers think about a SC/GA resolution. Forum/telegram polls will only reach active members who know to send the TG or log into the forum, and national happenings can clear the vote off within a day or less. It would be much easier for those of us who want to see what a region's members think about an issue if we could have some sort of indicator as to how a WA member has voted on the current SC and GA resolutions. If we could have it on every WA member's nation page that would be nice, or even just adding it somewhere on the XML could be worked with.

The specifics really don't matter... but if it can be done I think it would be very helpful to have some way to tell how a nation has voted.
AKA Weed

Omigodtheykilledkenny
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 14, 2005
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Omigodtheykilledkenny » Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:24 am

Most nations I check still have their votes listed in National Happenings. You have to move around quite a bit or answer a lot of daily issues for the votes to clear within a day.
Omigodtheykilledkenny FAQ | "The Biggest Sovereigntist IN THE WORLD" - Chester Pearson

Topid
Minister

Capitalizt

Postby Topid » Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:58 pm

Omigodtheykilledkenny wrote:Most nations I check still have their votes listed in National Happenings. You have to move around quite a bit or answer a lot of daily issues for the votes to clear within a day.

Since I was talking about big regions, WA members are endorsed a lot, and do a lot of endorsing too...
AKA Weed

Unibotian WASC Mission
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 27, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Unibotian WASC Mission » Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:59 am

For big regions it would likely be a god-send, though it would be ignored. The community thats deeply interested in the WA should participate on their forums, and they do. I don't think many feeders care about the lemming opinion of the other hundred votes who don't participate on the forums, or telegram the delegate. For example, if the West Pacific started running their vote off of how their entire region votes, then their culture of extreme national soverigntry would likely evaporate very quickly -- meaning feeder votes would be even more swayed with vote stacking tatics, that is, if my guess is correct, that 80% or more of WA members in feeders who don't participate with the community, vote for/against a resolution based on the current voting. Of course, I shouldn't throw around statistics that I just made up on the spot. ;)

A mean old man
Senator

Founded: Jun 27, 2008
Father Knows Best State

Postby A mean old man » Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:58 pm

There could be large regional polls (EDIT: WA Members only, of course) on each region's page, but I can't imagine how much data that would use up.
Last edited by A mean old man on Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A: SC#16 - Repeal "Liberate The Security Council"
A: SC#26 - Commend The Joint Systems Alliance
A: SC#30 - Commend 10000 Islands
A: SC#37 - Condemn NAZI EUROPE
A: SC#38 - Repeal "Condemn NAZI EUROPE"
A: GA#149 - On Expiration Dates
C: SC#58 - Repeal "Commend Sedgistan"
A: SC#62 - Repeal "Condemn Swarmlandia"
C: SC#63 - Commend Ballotonia
A: SC#65 - Condemn Punk Reloaded
C: GA#163 - Repeal "Law of the Sea"
A: SC#72 - Repeal "Commend Mikeswill"
C: SC#74 - Condemn Lone Wolves United
C: SC#76 - Repeal "Condemn Thatcherton"
A: SC#81 - Repeal "Condemn Anthony Delasanta"
C: SC#83 - Condemn Automagfreek
C: SC#84 - Repeal "Liberate Islam"
C: SC#111 - Commend Krulltopia ← please forget

Topid
Minister

Capitalizt

Postby Topid » Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:17 pm

I'm thinking the game has to already record and keep how each nation has voted, because it shows me how I voted on the WA page... I just don't know how hard it would be to make a little indicator...
AKA Weed

Topid
Minister

Capitalizt

Postby Topid » Tue May 25, 2010 4:48 pm

Bump? Is that allowed? :?

My region only has 7 WAs. And I'm already getting frustrated reading all those nat'l happenings.

It would be very very very nice for there to be some way to check this as my region continues to grow. XML, Nation-page, A tally in the Regional Control, anything.
AKA Weed

A mean old man
Senator

Founded: Jun 27, 2008
Father Knows Best State

Postby A mean old man » Tue May 25, 2010 4:49 pm

As this proves an inconvenience for my region as well, I'd have to support this.
A: SC#16 - Repeal "Liberate The Security Council"
A: SC#26 - Commend The Joint Systems Alliance
A: SC#30 - Commend 10000 Islands
A: SC#37 - Condemn NAZI EUROPE
A: SC#38 - Repeal "Condemn NAZI EUROPE"
A: GA#149 - On Expiration Dates
C: SC#58 - Repeal "Commend Sedgistan"
A: SC#62 - Repeal "Condemn Swarmlandia"
C: SC#63 - Commend Ballotonia
A: SC#65 - Condemn Punk Reloaded
C: GA#163 - Repeal "Law of the Sea"
A: SC#72 - Repeal "Commend Mikeswill"
C: SC#74 - Condemn Lone Wolves United
C: SC#76 - Repeal "Condemn Thatcherton"
A: SC#81 - Repeal "Condemn Anthony Delasanta"
C: SC#83 - Condemn Automagfreek
C: SC#84 - Repeal "Liberate Islam"
C: SC#111 - Commend Krulltopia ← please forget

Topid
Minister

Capitalizt

Postby Topid » Tue May 25, 2010 5:03 pm

I also believe when I first complained delegates only had to look for one vote in the happenings. We now need to look for two. Granted the pros of that update have vastly outweighed the cons, this would be a slight con.
AKA Weed

Sanctaria
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 12, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Sanctaria » Tue May 25, 2010 5:04 pm

A mean old man wrote:As this proves an inconvenience for my region as well, I'd have to support this.

You bet it is. There's like 3 active members in the forums, but there's 15 WA members (including myself). I'd like to get a general consensus of the region before I vote.

I'd be all for this.
Divine Federation of Sanctaria

Ideological Bulwark #258

Dr. Bethany Greer CMD, Sanctarian Ambassador to the World Assembly
Author of:
GA#109 GA#133 GA#176 GA#201 GA#222 GA#297
GA#590 (Co)
Frisbeeteria wrote:Do people not realize that moderators can tell when someone is wanking?

Luna Amore wrote:Sanc is always watching. Ever vigilant.

Auralia wrote:Your condescending attitude is remarkably annoying.

Topid
Minister

Capitalizt

Postby Topid » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:45 am

My delegate just asked me if this was a feature... And I never told him I suggested it, just a coincidence...

Bump. ;)
AKA Weed

Charlotte Ryberg
The Muse of the Westcountry

Founded: Mar 14, 2007
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Charlotte Ryberg » Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:30 am

I would not be at all opposed to the regional voting feature, even though I vote to my own instincts.

Mousebumples
Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity

Postby Mousebumples » Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:40 am

I elicit votes from all nations within the region - not just WA nations - and I invite them to either post on the regional happenings or telegram me with their opinion. If you don't have a terribly large region, that seems like a workable alternative.
Leader of the Mouse-a-rific Mousetastic Moderator Mousedom of Mousebumples
Past WA Delegate for Europeia & Monkey Island
Proud Member of UNOG
I'm an "adorably marvelous NatSov" - Mallorea and Riva
GA Resolutions (sorted by category) | Why Repeal? | Reppy's Sig Workshop

Darkesia
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 01, 2005

Postby Darkesia » Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:06 am

This would be a fantastic feature for me.

I have been trying to get people more involved in the WA and have had a difficult time targeting nations. I don't know if they are voting or not, much less how they are voting or when.

I have been attempting to set up a group of region members to help me track this kind of thing, but have little success enticing people into such a huge and tedious task. They even blew me off when I called it the World Assembly Secret Police! That's about as sexy a title as you can get.

I would be very very interested in a feature like this. Even if it's just a visual (red/green/null) indicator near the WA badge, it would work. That way when I tart, it will be right there and easily seen. Simple enough for me to take a tally from that point and make a list of nations that I want to telegram.
Blackbird wrote:Francoism is to fascism as Marxism is to peanut butter.
Greater Moldavi wrote:If I didn't say things like that then I wouldn't be...well me.
Katganistan wrote:I imagine it's the rabid crotch-seeking ninja attack weasels. Very hard to train, so you don't see them in use in many places.

Krulltopia
Spokesperson

Founded: Feb 29, 2004

Postby Krulltopia » Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:11 pm

I'd be for this as well. I've made shiny new voting sections on our forums, (separate ones for SC and GA even) and not nearly enough use them. I've also tried going through my endorsement list seeing who voted for what.

It's rather difficult, I can tell you.
Kandarin: "Tsk. Everything I know about propaganda, I learned from Nationstates."
Former Delegate of The Pacific: Birthplace of the New Pacific Order

Unibot
Senator

Founded: May 25, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Unibot » Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:15 pm

Krulltopia wrote:I'd be for this as well. I've made shiny new voting sections on our forums, (separate ones for SC and GA even) and not nearly enough use them. I've also tried going through my endorsement list seeing who voted for what.

It's rather difficult, I can tell you.

But what fun would it be to be democratic? :(

OOC: Unless of course, it's more fun to be a dictator when people object to it?

Linux and the X
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 29, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Linux and the X » Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:19 am

IMO, a nice unobtrusive way to handle it is change the colour of the WA icon on nation pages. Maybe green for support, red for oppose, and grey for abstain.
If you see I've made a mistake in my wording or a factual detail, telegram me and I'll fix it. I'll even give you credit for pointing it out, if you'd like.
BLUE LIVES MURDER

[violet]: Maybe we could power our new search engine from the sexual tension between you two.
Me, responding to a request to vote for a liberation: But... but that would blemish my near-perfect history of spitefully voting against anything the SC does!
Farnhamia: That is not to be taken as license to start calling people "buttmunch."

GPG key ID: A8960638 fingerprint: 2239 2687 0B50 2CEC 28F7 D950 CCD0 26FC A896 0638

they/them pronouns

Oh my Days
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Oh my Days » Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:32 am

Linux and the X wrote:IMO, a nice unobtrusive way to handle it is change the colour of the WA icon on nation pages. Maybe green for support, red for oppose, and grey for abstain.

It would be good to have a regional tally though, the biggest delegate in the game has 469 endorsements. Many regions can't tally it up manually.
Citizen of The East Pacific and Osiris

Darkesia
Diplomat

Postby Darkesia » Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:23 am

A large region usually requires some sort of tarting or monitoring daily. If this is being done, the tally could be done manually, provided the visual ques were easily spotted.

But you're right. A tally would be fantastical too <3
Greater Moldavi wrote:If I didn't say things like that then I wouldn't be...well me.
Katganistan wrote:I imagine it's the rabid crotch-seeking ninja attack weasels. Very hard to train, so you don't see them in use in many places.

Eluvatar
Director of Technology

Founded: Mar 31, 2006
New York Times Democracy

Postby Eluvatar » Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:20 pm

Darkesia and Krull, I'm parsing National Happenings already and will be doing so on a more regular basis in future.

I think I'll be able to catch 95-99% of all WA votes in regions of interest.
Last edited by Eluvatar on Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
To Serve and Protect: UDL

Eluvatar - Taijitu member

Darkesia
Diplomat

Postby Darkesia » Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:35 pm

Eluvatar wrote:Darkesia and Krull, I'm parsing National Happenings already and will be doing so on a more regular basis in future.

I think I'll be able to catch 95-99% of all WA votes in regions of interest.

*prepares large bribe consisting of mostly chocolate and candy corn*

Ananke II
Envoy

Founded: Mar 15, 2004
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Ananke II » Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:54 pm

Oh my Days wrote:It would be good to have a regional tally though, the biggest delegate in the game has 469 endorsements. Many regions can't tally it up manually.

Since I was mentioned I figure I'll post here too. Personally I don't think I'd use such a tally. I prefer having people go to our forum and cast their vote there, since it gives people the opportunity to argue about their votes and possibly convince others to change theirs.

Not that I'm against a regional tally mind. It'll probably be helpful for some delegates. I just like that I and my endorsers are able to influence my WA vote. That wouldn't be the case if I only cast my vote based on a tally of how all 500+ WA nations in 10ki vote.

Oh my Days
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Oh my Days » Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:46 pm

Darkesia wrote:A large region usually requires some sort of tarting or monitoring daily. If this is being done, the tally could be done manually, provided the visual ques were easily spotted.

But you're right. A tally would be fantastical too <3

I'm impressed if you can do that, I've never been in that situation so I wouldn't know :P

Ananke II wrote:
Oh my Days wrote:It would be good to have a regional tally though, the biggest delegate in the game has 469 endorsements. Many regions can't tally it up manually.

Since I was mentioned I figure I'll post here too. Personally I don't think I'd use such a tally. I prefer having people go to our forum and cast their vote there, since it gives people the opportunity to argue about their votes and possibly convince others to change theirs.

Not that I'm against a regional tally mind. It'll probably be helpful for some delegates. I just like that I and my endorsers are able to influence my WA vote. That wouldn't be the case if I only cast my vote based on a tally of how all 500+ WA nations in 10ki vote.

I agree that the politicking is a key feature of the WA and should not go away, but I believe that even in massive regions, individual players could still have a massive influence if a delegate voted based on a tally, they would just have to try harder. Especially if the nations who voted each way were listed, a player could telegram every nation in the region who abstained or voted in the opposite way, to try and swing the delegate's vote as well. The RMB could be used, and a region may decide that the delegate should be allowed to use the WFE to attempt to swing the vote.

Of course, 10ki might still decide that it prefers its existing system, but many regions have the same issue and I'm sure some would take up the option of voting based on a tally. NS recognises that a completely fair democracy is boring, which is why delegates get more votes. Obviously the tally system is fairer, but I believe that it is just as dramatic, if not more so, because the entire WA could not be swung by one forum post, if that was implemented. It would require real work, but that would result in more campaigning and greater participation in the WA. If most WA nations in big regions are getting telegrams urging them to change their vote, an average NS player would end up knowing far more about the WA and a lot more would get involved.

I think it could really shake up GA issues in particular, for the SC a gameplay region will have a near-consensus on most issues, but that's certainly not the case in the GA. I don't know about 10ki, but I bet that a number of gameplay regions have GA voting dominated by one ideological group, because the number of voters is so small. If the region-wide vote controlled the delegate's vote, a player in opposition could launch a campaign to swing the vote.
Citizen of The East Pacific and Osiris

TannerFrankLand
Envoy

Founded: Jun 10, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby TannerFrankLand » Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:24 pm

*bumped back into view*

This is already becoming a problem in my small rapidly growing region. I vote democratically based on my endorsers on SC resolutions, and even though I only have six endorsers I got three of those today. So now I'm trying to re-count since the numbers have certainly changed but the SC votes were pushed off the national feed.

The nation feed simply is not useful when it comes to this. And as such the reports page wouldn't help either.

It would be very helpful for those of us who want to vote fairly to be able to use some feature to see how each nation has voted, is there no way to display this information somewhere? (XML, nation page, whole new page, link in administration panel, whatever solution is possible)
WA Security Council:
SC #3 ~ Condemn Nazi Europe [SORRY!]
SC #12 ~ Commend Todd McCloud
SC #18 ~ Commend Sedgistan
SC #27 ~ Condemn Unknown
SC #36 ~ Liberate Eastern Europe
SC #51 ~ Commend Fudgetopia
SC #67 ~ Commend Naivetry
SC #71 ~ Repeal Condemn Unknown.
WA General Assembly:
GA #81 ~ Disaster Preparedness Act
GA #105 ~ Preparing For Disasters
GA #164 ~ Consular Rights
GA #278 ~ Repeal "Right to Privacy"
Security Council Fanatic
Delegate of St Abbaddon,
Member of the Council of State of Balder,
Former delegate of The South Pacific,
Topid

[violet]
Executive Director

Founded: Antiquity

Postby [violet] » Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:12 pm

It's possible but not easy. Put it on The Big List, if it's not already there.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Technical