NATION

PASSWORD

[ISSUE CONTEST ENTRY] Is It Right To Repair?

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Ostrovskiy
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 01, 2019
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Ostrovskiy » Sat Mar 18, 2023 1:57 pm

/bump
Elected Director of the Union of Democratic States

Senior Warden, TGW | Lieutenant, UDSAF
First person to complete the lavenderest collection in Season 3, Best Rarity Collection of 2023 (as voted by the Cardens)
SCR#439, SCR#444, GAR#674, SCR#471, SCR#492, SCR#493, Issue #1622

Sleet: You are a Zionist and think anti-Zionism is anti-semitism. Me: y e s

Minskiev
Minister

Founded: Apr 20, 2020
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Minskiev » Sat Mar 18, 2023 4:03 pm

"How dare they do this to @@DEMONYMPLURAL@@" in Option 1 doesn't sound like something a person would say

Also a bit strange how the Option 1 solution of "cheaper, more accessible repairs" has the effect line of "no repairs, oh and also things become less cheap". And I don't see why the status quo would make e-waste...explode, literally or figuratively. You could probably somewhat switch these effect lines, like:

Option 1: "The market for electronic repairs is e-xploding"

Option 2: "recently bought-out electronic repair shops now charge exorbitant prices for 'making' your phone look brand-new"
Minskiev/Walrus. Former Delegate of the Rejected Realms, 3x Officer. 15x WA author. Join the RRA here.

Ostrovskiy
Ambassador

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Ostrovskiy » Sat Mar 18, 2023 7:42 pm

Minskiev wrote:"How dare they do this to @@DEMONYMPLURAL@@" in Option 1 doesn't sound like something a person would say

Also a bit strange how the Option 1 solution of "cheaper, more accessible repairs" has the effect line of "no repairs, oh and also things become less cheap". And I don't see why the status quo would make e-waste...explode, literally or figuratively. You could probably somewhat switch these effect lines, like:

Option 1: "The market for electronic repairs is e-xploding"

Option 2: "recently bought-out electronic repair shops now charge exorbitant prices for 'making' your phone look brand-new"

Thx, next draft up

First person to complete the lavenderest collection in Season 3, Best Rarity Collection of 2023 (as voted by the Cardens)

Ostrovskiy
Ambassador

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Ostrovskiy » Thu Jun 01, 2023 4:56 pm

I have dug this out of the grave in time for the issues contest. All feedback appreciated!

Kaschovia
Issues Editor

Founded: Apr 09, 2016
Anarchy

Postby Kaschovia » Fri Jun 02, 2023 6:02 am

"Dear @@LEADER@@,
While what happened to your niece is unfortunate, you must understand, @@NAME@@ Electronics and our competitors simply cannot make our electronics more easily repairable. First of all, such a thing would necessarily mean sacrificing user safety, as our phones have sharp and combustible materials inside them. Next, making a device easily repairable would make it less efficient, as there is only so much space in a modern phone, and there must be room for any repairs. Finally, this would destroy innovation and progress in the electronics industry, as no new phones wuld ever be bought. Companies must be able to do any safe thing with their products which they wish."

Sincerely yours,
@@RANDOMNAME_1@@"

I'd write this option as a voicemail if you're not going to have the speaker present. That way, you don't have to split the option up into different lines, which typically doesn't happen.

Tinhampton
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 05, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tinhampton » Fri Jun 02, 2023 7:52 am

In jurisdictions without a Right to Repair law, it is not the case that devices cannot be repaired to any degree by anybody. Your entire draft hinges around the contrary assumption that this is, in fact, the case.
Last edited by Tinhampton on Fri Jun 02, 2023 7:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Self-Administrative City of TINHAMPTON (pop. 329,537): Saffron Howard, Mayor (UCP); Alexander Smith, WA Delegate-Ambassador

Authorships & co-authorships: SC#250, SC#251, Issue #1115, SC#267, GA#484, GA#491, GA#533, GA#540, GA#549, SC#356, GA#559, GA#562, GA#567, GA#578, SC#374, GA#582, SC#375, GA#589, GA#590, SC#382, SC#385*, GA#597, GA#607, SC#415, GA#647, GA#656, GA#664, GA#671, GA#674, GA#675, GA#677, GA#680, Issue #1580, GA#682, GA#683, GA#684, GA#692, GA#693, GA#715
The rest of my CV: Cup of Harmony 73 champions; Philosopher-Queen of Sophia; *author of the most popular SC Res. ever; anti-NPO cabalist in good standing; 48yo Tory woman w/Asperger's; Cambridge graduate ~ currently reading The World by Simon Sebag Montefiore

Electrum
Issues Editor

Founded: Jan 20, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Electrum » Sun Jun 04, 2023 2:16 am

The description needs work. It doesn't explain why the 'best repair shop' can't repair the phone. It doesn't set up the fact the issue is about right to repair. For that to happen you need to mention that the phone manufacturer doesn't make parts available.

Option 2 - you should know by now that we don't write issue options in this way. Rewrite it so that it's in one paragraph. It also seems a bit like a 'do nothing' option. No active choice is being done other than continuing to allow companies not allow their users to repair their phones.

Option 3 - a bit meh. We don't need an 'implement communism' option for this issue. I suggest finding something else. Maybe talking about the broader trend of planned obsolescence and forcing companies to make sure that their products last a long time. Like phones used to last so long, and now their battery sucks after just a few years. Something like that.
NationStates Tennis Tour President - NSTT rankings and season nine schedule

Issues Editor - List of issue ideas - Got Issues discord

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?