NATION

PASSWORD

Education Standards

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.
Goldsaver
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 07, 2008
Civil Rights Lovefest

Education Standards

Postby Goldsaver » Fri May 01, 2009 3:07 pm

I have made a new proposal in the WA, what do you think?
NOTING that many nations have terrible education systems OBSERVING that many nations prohibit people from education based on race, gender, or wealth status DECLARING that everyone has a right to an education The World Assembly therefore,

1. Guarantees the right to an education for everyone, regardless of race, gender, or wealth status

2. Makes Education mandatory until gradation of secondary school

3. Requires that schools receive enough funding to create a safe learning environment, and teach up-to-date information

4. Guarantees everyone the SAME education until graduation of secondary school

5. Requires the nation to create loan programs for getting into a Tertiary school

6. Prohibits segregation in schools
The Free Federation of the Golden Lands
Free Federation Q&A
Liberal Democracy; Militaristic; Federation; Feminist
"None Shall be Held in Chains"
"All May Find Shelter Behind Our Walls"
"No Evil Shall Survive Our Wrath"

Kryozerkia
Retired Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Re: Education Standards

Postby Kryozerkia » Fri May 01, 2009 4:39 pm

Ok, I see a number of problems that would get in the way of this passing. I'm addressing each point from the point of view of the devil's advocate.

Goldsaver wrote:1. Guarantees the right to an education for everyone, regardless of race, gender, or wealth status

No mention of religion, beliefs, or sexual orientation?

Goldsaver wrote:2. Makes Education mandatory until gradation of secondary school

This fails to define "secondary" school. Not all nations employ academic environments for education. Some may have an alternative to a secondary school, offering vocational or apprentice-type education.

Goldsaver wrote:3. Requires that schools receive enough funding to create a safe learning environment, and teach up-to-date information

I'm assuming you mean public and not private schools?

Goldsaver wrote:4. Guarantees everyone the SAME education until graduation of secondary school

So, the exact same education, never mind that someone will not need math if they become a writer?

Goldsaver wrote:5. Requires the nation to create loan programs for getting into a Tertiary school

So, a nation with universal education, covering a student through the post-secondary level would have to create a loan program? Seems needless to me, especially since there would be no need for the nation to create such a program when the cost is already being footed by the government.

Goldsaver wrote:6. Prohibits segregation in schools

So, no religious schools allowed?
Last edited by Kryozerkia on Fri May 01, 2009 4:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Problem to Report?
Game-side: Getting Help
Forum-side: Moderation
Technical issue/suggestion: Technical
A-well-a, don't you know about the bird
♦ Well, everybody knows that the bird is the word ♦
♦ A-well-a, bird, bird, b-bird's the word

Get the cheese to Sickbay

"Ok folks, show's over... Nothing to see here... Show's OH MY GOD! A horrible plane crash! Hey everybody, get a load of this flaming wreckage! Come on, crowd around, crowd around, don't be shy, crowd around!" -- Chief Wiggum

Unibot
Senator

Founded: May 25, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Unibot » Fri May 01, 2009 5:57 pm

Prohibits segregation in schools

We already have the Charter of Civil Rights which protects member states from racism, discrimination and therefore segregation.

Unless of course this was meant as an attack on faith based schools as Kryozerkia mentioned.
Last edited by Unibot on Fri May 01, 2009 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tessaglia
Civil Servant

Founded: Apr 26, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Tessaglia » Tue May 05, 2009 7:13 am

The Crown of the Kingdom of Tessaglia holds the position that although the Proposal is honorable, to impose it would be an example of the World Assembly overstepping its bounds.

The Crown suggests that the proposal be rewritten as a set of suggested guidelines that must be met in order to receive any WA education funding. This would then create a choice that would then become available to the Member Nations.

Respectfully,

HM Shawn Garza

King of Tessaglia
G.M. The Royal Order of the Crane

Philimbesi
Minister

Founded: Jun 07, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Philimbesi » Tue May 05, 2009 7:49 am

1. Guarantees the right to an education for everyone, regardless of race, gender, or wealth status

That's been passed already

Secondary school? Not sure of that concept is that a school that you go to after school? Some sort of after school - school?

3. Requires that schools receive enough funding to create a safe learning environment, and teach up-to-date information

In the USoP we have public, and military schools that receive funding, however the private schools are simply that, privately funded, and privately run.

Regardless of IQ? Regargdless of special needs, or on the other hand those with a high level of IQ?

5. Requires the nation to create loan programs for getting into a Tertiary school

Absolutely not. Our tertiary schools all offer their own funding and loan programs, we don't foot the bill for someone to go to them. Short of our military colleges, which the debt is returned by years of service.

Already done.
The Unified States Of Philimbesi
The Honorable Josiah Bartlett - President

Ideological Bulwark #235

Absolvability
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 08, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Absolvability » Tue May 05, 2009 9:11 am

I have to agree with the arguements above. A few things that weren't exactly mentioned though...

I think it is VERY important for people to be well educated. On the contrary though, I also think that freedoms are very important. And the most under-recognized freedom of all is the freedom to fail. Which is why my particular nation focuses on providing oppurtunities rather than charity. Well, what I really mean to say is that school shouldn't be mandatory beyond the basic, fundamental and necessary, levels.

Isn't this borderline illegal? If the WA can't impose taxes on citizens of a nation, it probably shouldn't be able to tell nations where their tax money must go either.
Antonius Veloci
Ambassador of The Event Horizon of Absolvability

Flibbleites
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jan 02, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Flibbleites » Tue May 05, 2009 9:47 am

Absolvability wrote:Isn't this borderline illegal? If the WA can't impose taxes on citizens of a nation, it probably shouldn't be able to tell nations where their tax money must go either.

:roll: Oh please, of course the WA can tell a nation how to spend it's money, just look at any International Security resolution, they all contain the line, "A resolution to improve world security by boosting police and military budgets." In other words, the WA is telling it's members to spend more money on police and military.

Bob Flibble
WA Representative

Absolvability
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 08, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Absolvability » Tue May 05, 2009 10:22 am

Agreed. I don't really like the fact that this proposal requires that 'enough' funding is recieved. This strongly implies that the WA is going to start deciding how much is enough. I was under the impression that the WA tells you what to do, but you can decide how you go about it.

For the most part I agree with this proposal. I just don't like the fact that, as a nation that already invests heavily in education, somebody could tell me it isn't enough.
Antonius Veloci
Ambassador of The Event Horizon of Absolvability

Maerngau
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: May 04, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Maerngau » Tue May 05, 2009 6:54 pm

Goldsaver wrote:

Maerngau is of course in total agreement with this most important plank.

Speaking freely, we believe that compulsory behavior must *always* be viewed as a last resort, and often leads to negative consequences. In regards to schooling, we submit that it is an unfair burden on states to mandate education for each and every student for a set period of years, fundamentally because such a policy ignores the fact that each student is unique. Some students' educational needs will NOT be met through compulsory attendance in any type of school. Other students do not have the mental, emotional, or physical capability of receiving the same type of education (or for as long a period of time) as other students.

We agree with the spirit of this plank; but question how the term "enough" is to be defined. We suggest that, just as every student is unique, every nation is unique, and it is unrealistic and unfair to mandate the same funding standards on all WA member states. We do feel that this plank could be revised and improved.

We totally reject this portion of the proposal for the simple reason that each student is unique, and has different educational needs.

We respect the spirit of this part of the proposal.

We believe that this section, while admirable, is unnecessary in the proposal because it is covered by other legislation.
Half Zandorff
Undersecretary for WA Relations
Grand Duchy of Maerngau
Factbook of the Grand Duchy of Maerngau

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly