NATION

PASSWORD

[DRAFT] Green Energy Bill

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.
The Orion Federation (Ancient)
Attaché

Founded: Aug 02, 2009
Ex-Nation

[DRAFT] Green Energy Bill

Postby The Orion Federation (Ancient) » Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:34 am

OCC: Now, obviously this draft proposal needs a lot of work, and support. I would appreciate it if the veterans of the WA were to help out here. This is an on-going project of mine, and I will add the necessary clauses below what is already written. Also, can I establish a new organization written in this bill, and create a new/seperat, bill that defines the organization's duties more clearly? Also, can this organization be used in a completely separate proposal as well?

Description: To promote the free and open trade of "green" technologies between WA member nations, with the goal of reducing the cost to a cleaner society. The cost savings shall be reflected in future climate bills before this assembly.

Defining: "Green technology" as any new product, facility, power generation, or production technique that can be used to reduce or eliminate greenhouse gases, that are non-nuclear in nature.

Further Defining: "Greenhouse gases" as any pollutant harmful to the world's atmosphere with the potential to alter, or change the environment of our planet by absorbing and emitting radiation within the thermal radiation range, such as, but not limited to: carbon dioxide, methane, nitrous oxide, and ozone.

Recognizing: The prohibitive cost to some nations of developing green technologies on their own.

Further Recognizing: The need to begin stemming the harmful pollutants in our atmosphere, and the need to keep the local environment of developing nations as clean and livable as is practical.

Section 1. Encourages the free, fair and open trade and transfer of all green technologies, products, contracted construction of facilities, and production techniques that are specifically aimed at reducing or eliminating environmentally harmful waste.

Section 2. Authorizes the establishment of the International Climate Change Commission in order to:

- A). Collect donations from governments, NGOs and other types of organizations, corporations, and other non-profits, as well as from individuals.
-- I. All funding operations shall be used from these sources only, unless otherwise allowed to dip into the WA Fund with 3/4ths votes from the Security Council.
-- II. The ICCC shall not collect taxes from any nation, whether WA or non-WA member nations. Nations, organizations, and individuals may donate on their own freewill.

- B). Help facilitate the exchange/transfer of all green technologies between nations.

- C). Appoint experts and advisors to nations who are struggling with environmental issues.
-- I. Shall conduct land surveys in order to determine the best possible locations for windmill farms, solar generators, hydroelectric and other forms of green energy production, and use.
-- II. Shall appoint the lowest-bidding construction company to build such facilities as stated in part a, section iii of clause 2, if the host nation successfully is granted the funds from the ICCC.
-- III. Shall help begin the training process of the host nation's engineers to learn this process of building, and maintaining the new technologies.
-- IV. Shall assist in the development of newer green technologies within certain nations that have the scientific capacity to do so.
----- i. "Assistance" shall mean any extra funding, material donations, ICCC scientific personnel, and funding for new/leased facilities.
----- ii. Any nation which receives assistance from the ICCC in developing newer green technology shall forfeit all trading rights for the purposes of trading compensations, and the new ICCC-developed technology shall be freely disbursed throughout the world, regardless of WA membership.

- D) Work closely with the WA Environmental Council that was set up in GA Resolution #42.
-- I. All the scientific data, surveys, and published records of the WAEC shall be a valuable resource that could be used in the aid of the ICCC's own land survey studies of host nations for future green technologies.
-- II. All the data collected from the WAEC shall also be used to determine which nations need the most help in implementing green technologies, and where green technologies shall do the most good.

Section 3. Believes the ongoing cost-savings to each individual nation for environmental reform shall be ongoing, and will provide other, fringe, benefits to international society as a whole .

- A). Shall provide extra jobs.

- B). Shall provide cleaner local living standards for each citizen.

- C). Shall help to alleviate crime a bit due to Sections I and II of this clause.

The free trade agreement shall not be construed as to place undue hardship on those nations who have put it upon themselves to research and develop green technologies. Reasonable compensation shall be provided to those nations, in order to help the worldwide environment as a whole.

I am thinking this is going to be have a pretty strong effect, and am thinking of having all my ideas bundled into this one proposal, which will be more economic in nature. I know I still haven't touched on everything in this proposal quite yet, but for now, this is what I came up with.
Last edited by The Orion Federation (Ancient) on Sat Aug 08, 2009 6:38 am, edited 12 times in total.

Buffett and Colbert
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 05, 2008
Ex-Nation

Re: [DRAFT] Green Energy Bill

Postby Buffett and Colbert » Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:37 am

Well first we need text to start with. Do you think you can write us up a draft? Remember to read the guidelines first and use the proper format.
If the knowledge isn't useful, you haven't found the lesson yet. ~Iniika
You-Gi-Owe wrote:If someone were to ask me about your online persona as a standard of your "date-ability", I'd rate you as "worth investigating further & passionate about beliefs". But, enough of the idle speculation on why you didn't score with the opposite gender.

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Buffett and Colbert wrote:Clever, but your Jedi mind tricks don't work on me.

His Jedi mind tricks are insignificant compared to the power of Buffy's sex appeal.
Keronians wrote:
Buffett and Colbert wrote:My law class took my virginity. And it was 100% consensual.

I accuse your precious law class of statutory rape.

Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby The Orion Federation (Ancient) » Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:44 am

Right! Yes, I forgot to mention that I will be editing the initial post as I go along. I just wanted to get the idea out there, and in writing right now, before class starts, while the idea is fresh in my head.

I will write up a better draft, and edit the OP later on this evening.

Buffett and Colbert
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Buffett and Colbert » Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:53 am

The Orion Federation wrote:Right! Yes, I forgot to mention that I will be editing the initial post as I go along. I just wanted to get the idea out there, and in writing right now, before class starts, while the idea is fresh in my head.

I will write up a better draft, and edit the OP later on this evening.

I'll be waiting. :)
You-Gi-Owe wrote:If someone were to ask me about your online persona as a standard of your "date-ability", I'd rate you as "worth investigating further & passionate about beliefs". But, enough of the idle speculation on why you didn't score with the opposite gender.

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:

His Jedi mind tricks are insignificant compared to the power of Buffy's sex appeal.
Keronians wrote:
Buffett and Colbert wrote:My law class took my virginity. And it was 100% consensual.

Krioval
Minister

Founded: Jan 24, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Krioval » Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:18 am

The Orion Federation wrote:My proposal would be to set up an advisory commitee, which would receive their fund strictly through donations from nations, organizations, and individuals. The funds secured for this comittee would go towards paying various advisors, and their staff. As well as securing the technology, and parts to help set up green energy alternatives, particularly in developing nations that are showing promise, both economically, and humanly.

Would the ultimate focus of this proposal be on the environmental aspects, or on the sharing of technologies? I ask because categorizing the proposal could be difficult unless it is properly focused.

Now, obviously this draft proposal needs a lot of work, and support. I would appreciate it if the veterans of the WA were to help out here. Not sure if this is dead in the water already due to a previous, similar, proposal or not, so don;t hate too harshly. ;)

I could see several decent proposals being crafted from your ideas - an environmental proposal pushing for the reduction of nonrenewable or polluting energy sources, one that focuses on eliminating trade barriers to green technology, and even one that boosts research and tourism (education/culture proposal) in areas that are using ecologically friendly energy.

Just let us know which type of proposal you feel is of the most importance, and I am sure that we can structure something more formally.

[Lord] Ambassador Darvek Tyvok
Great Chiefdom of Krioval

Chazicaria
Minister

Founded: Jul 03, 2009
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Chazicaria » Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:23 am

well considering that green energy would cost MASSIVE amounts of money, my nation would stick to nuclear.

Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby The Orion Federation (Ancient) » Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:32 am

Krioval wrote:
Would the ultimate focus of this proposal be on the environmental aspects, or on the sharing of technologies? I ask because categorizing the proposal could be difficult unless it is properly focused.

[Lord] Ambassador Darvek Tyvok
Great Chiefdom of Krioval

Yes, I see you're point.

well considering that green energy would cost MASSIVE amounts of money, my nation would stick to nuclear.

Considering this first dissenting post, I think I will head more in the direction of free trade. I do see how this can be split many different ways. I think I will work on other proposals to fit different categories.

Besides, I'm not looking to eliminate nuclear energy altogether. Just to reduce the need for it, thereby reducing the potential to nuclear meltdown, no matter how slight.

Bergnovinaia
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 26, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Bergnovinaia » Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:35 am

Currently somenody would have to submit this for you since you have no endorsements. (You need at least 2 from your region.)
I am pursuing my undergraduate degree from Texas A&M University in Psychology and Spanish. My goal in life is to be a marriage and family counselor. If you have questions about me or my life, just ask!

My girlfriend and I blog about Christian & general marriage, relationship, and dating advice!

NS member since 2009. WA Resolution Author (mostly all repealed), NS sports fanatic.

Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby The Orion Federation (Ancient) » Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:47 am

Bergnovinaia wrote:Currently somenody would have to submit this for you since you have no endorsements. (You need at least 2 from your region.)

oh, ok. I did read that somewhere in the rules. I forgot. I'll still do the work and write it up in the proper format for this draft later on tonight, and submit it to my region to either find someone with the proper endorsements that may be interested in helping with the peer review, and submitting it, or to try to get the required endorsements myself.

Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby The Orion Federation (Ancient) » Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:05 am

Bump

Read the OCC at both the top and bottom as well. Not sure where to go from here until I find out about the rules on the proposaI of the ICCC in separate bills.

Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby The Orion Federation (Ancient) » Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:49 pm

bump....darn, this forum ignores blank spaces, apparently...lol. Section 2 of clause three is pretty well jumbled together.

Buffett and Colbert
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Buffett and Colbert » Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:51 pm

The Orion Federation wrote:bump....darn, this forum ignores blank spaces, apparently...lol. Section 2 of clause three is pretty well jumbled together.

I... think you should observe more of the WA's actions before writing a proposal yourself.

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:

Keronians wrote:

East Luisa
Spokesperson

Founded: Jul 17, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby East Luisa » Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:54 pm

I believe you need to straighten your bill first. Global warming is a hot topic with both sides claiming facts. You cannot states "facts" that will be refuted by debate, like carbon-dioxide being an earth-altering gas. I suggest you find a few reliable sources to back up your claims.
East Luisa - As opposed to West Luisa, who are no better than feral cats.

Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby The Orion Federation (Ancient) » Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:11 pm

East Luisa wrote:I believe you need to straighten your bill first. Global warming is a hot topic with both sides claiming facts. You cannot states "facts" that will be refuted by debate, like carbon-dioxide being an earth-altering gas. I suggest you find a few reliable sources to back up your claims.

Regardless, it has been shown that "greenhouse gases" (such as the burning of coal) causes acid rain, and other ecological hardships, and is also harmful to the health of people, animals, and plants.

Also, when dealing with gases in the atmosphere, every single type of gas IS earth altering. I mean, the evidence is all around you. We wouldn;t be here if it were not true.

The earth started out as a very hot, acidy planet. Slowly life began to form which began expelling the gas necessary for us to live....oxygen. Slowly, over a period of several hundred million years....perhaps a billion years (dont remember how long. I do know that life on this planet is only a fraction of how old the planet is.....it is 4.5 billion years old.) Anyway, over hundreds of millions of years as life became more complex, and spewing forth more oxygen, it furthered the growth of more complex species who took advantage of that oxygen. Such as fish, and eventually, us.

And so, releasing carbon dioxide (which is poison to all who breathe oxygen) BACK into the atmosphere will begin reversing that trend. Really, I find it quite funny that there are all of these "facts and data" that try to say carbon dioxide is doing nothing. Sure, the question of global warming is a debate, I suppose, but there is no debate that we can, potentially, choke ourselves to death at the rate we are going.

Besides, I'll bet that well over 90% of all scientists will agree that the earth started out as a dead, hostile place with nothing but acid water, and a heavy carbon dioxide atmosphere, and that over the hundreds of millions of years, plant life (algae, mostly) poured life-giving oxygen into the atmosphere, eventually allowing us to live and thrive.

If that is not global change due to gases in the atmosphere, I don't what is.

Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby The Orion Federation (Ancient) » Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:15 pm

And besides, I never mentioned "global warming" even once. This:

Further Defining: "Greenhouse gases" as any pollutant harmful to the world's atmosphere with the potential to alter, or change the environment of our planet by absorbing and emitting radiation within the thermal radiation range, such as, but not limited to: carbon dioxide, methane, nitrous oxide, and ozone.

was the wording I used. I was very careful on how I used my words, for I already did realize the "great debate" of global warming. "Greenhouse gases" are just an easy, readily understood term. I narrowed the definition to something specific enough to NOT assume it is a definite cause for global warming, but vague enough to allow the possibly of other "types" of gases I forgot, or failed to mention other than carbon dioxide, methane, nitrous oxide, and ozone, which is still harmful to the Earth.
Last edited by The Orion Federation (Ancient) on Sat Aug 08, 2009 6:39 am, edited 3 times in total.

The Emmerian Unions
Minister

Founded: Jan 02, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The Emmerian Unions » Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:39 pm

Not everyone lives on the "Earth" you speak of.
The Cake is a lie!
<<Peace through Fear and Superior Firepower>>

STOP AMERICAN IMPERIALISM? America is ANTI-IMPERIAL!
Ifreann wrote:"And in world news, the United States has recently elected Bill Gates as God Emperor For All Time. Foreign commentators believe that Gates' personal fortune may have played a role in his victory, but criticism from the United States of Gates(as it is now known) has been sparse and brief."
For good Russian Rock Radio, go here.
Please note, I rarely go into NSG. If I post there, please do not expect a response from me.
ALL HAIL THE GODDESS REPLOID PRODUCTIONS!

Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby The Orion Federation (Ancient) » Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:52 pm

The Emmerian Unions wrote:Not everyone lives on the "Earth" you speak of.

OOC: Wow, sorry, but I am not going to get into a battle over semantics like that. Sorry. ;)

Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby The Orion Federation (Ancient) » Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:54 pm

Bump.

Added a new clause....clause D....to Section 2. Also made it a bit more readable by adding bold Italics, and the word "section" in front of each section number.

I added Clause D because I was running through the passed resolutions, and came upon the WAEC. I figured this would be perfect. Whereas the WAEC receives funding directly from the WA Funds, the ICCC will receive it's funding only from donations from various sources.

Also, the WAEC seems to conduct data studies for various scientific, and statistical analyses. Whereas the ICCC's main goal is to distribute green technologies to other nations, especially those that are lacking. The data studies conducted by the WAEC would help to allow the ICCC to further determine where, and how green tech can be used for the most benefit. This would make both organizations more efficient, for it would dip much less into the donated funds to the ICCC, while increasing the value of the research being conducted by the WAEC, thereby, increasing the value of the impact each dollar from the WA Fund that is going towards the WAEC for such purposes.

Grays Harbor
Post Marshal

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Grays Harbor » Sat Aug 08, 2009 1:45 am

The Orion Federation wrote:

OOC: Wow, sorry, but I am not going to get into a battle over semantics like that. Sorry. ;)

That is not semantics. That is something that could very well make the proposal illegal for RW references.
Everything you know about me is wrong. Or a rumor. Something like that.

Not Ta'veren

Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby The Orion Federation (Ancient) » Sat Aug 08, 2009 6:37 am

Grays Harbor wrote:
The Orion Federation wrote:

That is not semantics. That is something that could very well make the proposal illegal for RW references.

Oh, right. Well, that;s been corrected. My apologies. I thought he was referring to post number 14, not to the OP.
Last edited by The Orion Federation (Ancient) on Sat Aug 08, 2009 6:42 am, edited 3 times in total.

Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby The Orion Federation (Ancient) » Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:33 pm

ok, since noone seems to be responding to this thread at all, and pretty much ignoring, that would mean either it is absolutely perfect, or absolutely garbage. lol.

Grays Harbor
Post Marshal

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Grays Harbor » Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:31 am

The Orion Federation wrote:ok, since noone seems to be responding to this thread at all, and pretty much ignoring, that would mean either it is absolutely perfect, or absolutely garbage. lol.

We'll take choice #2.
Everything you know about me is wrong. Or a rumor. Something like that.

Not Ta'veren

Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby The Orion Federation (Ancient) » Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:59 am

bah, if that's the sort of answer I get, without any explanation, then this game kinda stinks. :palm:

Serbian_Soviet_Union
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 11, 2009
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Serbian_Soviet_Union » Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:16 pm

Nay, kills off all businesses, corporations, raises tax for no reason, waste of money and time, not to mention the negative effects it will have on the economy.
Zastava Arms Inc Cheap Military Hardware: http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6443
Zastava Energy Inc & Zastava Oil Corporation: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7806
Full member of: AMNAT, CIN, SCUTUM, CA, VA, PSUS
Observer Member of: GIA, EA, CI

Defcon: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) State of War/State of Emergency || Preparation for a possible war
Military size 5% Active || 2.5% Reserves
Government Type: Capitalist, Conservative, Right Wing, Democratic
FSSU Nations Factbook: http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9558
Serbian Broadcasting News: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=9733
Baxtell Heavy Engineering Droid Works

Seishin no Ryuu
Envoy

Founded: Aug 06, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Seishin no Ryuu » Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:20 pm

Serbian_Soviet_Union wrote:Nay, kills off all businesses, corporations, raises tax for no reason, waste of money and time, not to mention the negative effects it will have on the economy.

This is true, but I do believe this Proposal has potential. Just needs a lot of fine tuning ;)

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly