NATION

PASSWORD

At Her Majesty’s Pleasure

Where nations come together and discuss matters of varying degrees of importance. [In character]
Turanda
Spokesperson

Founded: Aug 30, 2021
Ex-Nation

At Her Majesty’s Pleasure

Postby Turanda » Fri Mar 31, 2023 5:20 pm

Spring had come to Bendas. And with it, like the blossoming of new flowers, the offers for the hand of the most eligible woman on the continent, Queen Oiyora of Turanda. Must to Her Majesty’s own annoyance.

At 22 the Queen of Turanda had reigned for five years, and it seemed to her from the moment she took the throne that there was the push to marry her off. Quietly literally dozens of princes, nobles even an odd king had sought after her hand in matrimony. And while the Queen had show interest in some, in the end she had thus far rejected them all. And yet with each passing day the offers arose, and her ministers persuaded her to consider the matter seriously.

This pressure has only grown under the oppressive presence of Prime Minister Oluwafuntun Mayowa, who thought it a necessary aspect of a queen to have a spouse. Having rejected half the noblewomen thrown at her from Wattingham, she had relented at the suggestion of her cousin and friend, the Queen of the Meyarines to meet with her stepsons. Thus once again the Queen opened the doors of Ahamigaba, that grand palace of grand golden gates, bejeweled arcades and beneath domes topped with green tinted glass oculus, its fountains bubbling with cheerful sounds, the air perfumed with the scent from flowers and fruits to courtship.

The city of Bendas sat on the southern shore of the Bay of Bendas, a crescent of white and red brick buildings, it hugged water. Far in the distance, rising inland were the Turandan Alps, mountains that ran down the spine of Turanda proper, while to the north, just sixty miles across the waves lay the vast flat Northern Territories that had been conquered shortly before the inception of the kingdom. Bendas, like the vast majority of the realm over which it ruled, was a hot arid city, only moderated by the winds from the bay which brought with it moisture and gave birth to fine clutches of greenery and palms. Neither the largest city, nor particularly large, its historical value and central location won it the position of the capital.

In the heart of the city was Independence Square, where a great obelisk had been erected to honor those who had seen the nation freed. In that square too was the great Saint Abbaguba’s Cathedral, the nation's center of religious life. A few blocks to the northwest of the square were the great bone white ruins of the Pupalcazar, where the government of the Obasey Regime had ruled and had collapsed. A few blocks to the southeast of the square rose the General Assembly Building and the Awo Ewe Mosque, for while orthodoxy ruled the nation, Islam came in second for most adherents, though the number grew smaller and smaller with each day. Directly south of Independence Square along the main boulevard was the Great Al-Oja, a great colorful open-air market.

It was further south of the Great Al-Oja that the monuments of Queen Oiyora's reign appeared. There was the Queen's Circle, a roundabout that had in its center a golden bronze statue of Turanda's lovely young queen. The west on the outskirts of the city, where palm trees fell away to shallow hillsides of savanna, was the Bendas International Airport, a small if new structure rarely used as few made their destination to Bendas, and few Turandans could afford flights abroad. But outshining all of the above, resting on the red hills that rose up from the southern edge of the city so that it could look over all that the Queen ruled, was her thus far crowning achievement, the Ahamigaba.

Having after years on construction finally completed, the Ahamigaba was designed by Sisi L.V. Nongxa, whom Queen Oiyora had hand selected. Nongxa had thus produced for the young queen a residential fortress that befitted an empress. Its high red walls were artfully decorated in the mudejar style, its ornate geometric designs dazzling in patterns of green and gold octogons that resembled the extended features of the Valwa peacock. Its red towers were caped with golden domes that, when the sun struck it in the afternoon, blinded those who approached. Perched between the stones of the city and yellow grasses of the wild savanna the great awe of the Ahamigaba was its greenery.

Palm trees, bananas trees and chestnut trees intermingled with hyacinths, carnations, and jacarandas. Gardens were nestled in vast lush courtyards, lined with arcades and colonnades with breathtaking tiles, and ever bubbling fountains in their hearts. Guinea fowl and peacocks and their mates walked freely amongst the fruit trees and manicured lawns. The peacocks, a gift from her grandaunt, were specifically bred ones to look like those on the Queen's coat of arms, with gold yellow feathers and ornate tail feathers.

It’s sprawling galleries and staterooms, grand wings and courtyards made it a miniature city in it own right. The expense had been outstanding, so called heart attack inducing and yet one need only to see it to know it well worth every penny. It was said that as much water was used at the Ahamigaba was used by a quarter of the capital's populace. And the fountains in truth only ever ran when the Queen was around. Still, it was agreed by all who lived in its shadow (figuratively at least as Nongxa saw to it that its position saw the palace constantly bathed in sunlight) asserted that it was the most beautiful structure in the nation, perhaps the whole of the world. It was the true crown jewel of the Queen’s realm.
Last edited by Turanda on Fri Mar 31, 2023 5:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Leriya
Bureaucrat

Founded: Mar 01, 2022
Ex-Nation

Postby Leriya » Fri Mar 31, 2023 5:53 pm

Natalie gathered her skirts in hand as Xarabar helped her out of the carriage before the gates of the great and mystical Ahamigaba, that grand project of her favorite cousin. She looked up at it, sparkling in the sunlight and even then could it believe it. It outshined anything in Leriya, where even the King’s obsessive management of architecture couldn’t compare. Natalie dared said it even outshined the Palais-Royale in Genes. Truly the greatest of the palaces of the Valwa, or even the world.

Natalie touched the ground, looking to up away from the palace to her husband. Xarabar, the crown prince of Leriya was considered very tall by Leriyan standards. The crown prince was handsome with his short curly black hair styled in an undercut. He shared the coffee brown skin tone of most Leriyans, and wore a Leriyan oba suite, wearing a white fipari and white stockings, blue loafers, along with a mandarin collar kanzu jacket and shirt in complementary shades of blue with silver buttons.

In contrast to Xarabar’s height, Natalie was a petit doll of a woman. She was lovely, though her looks were modest and her elegance displayed in her restraint. She wore a pale blue dress with a sliver choker necklace with a single round diamond set in it. She had the dark brown skin of a Genoise, for she had come from the illustrious Valwa stock. Her curly black hair was pinned tightly under a thin matching tiara, a blue fiaipari wrapped around her waist and a matching sari draped over her shoulder.

“Josephine has outdone herself,” Natalie said with a smile, looping her arm around Xarabar’s. “If only she were as great at romance as she is building palaces.” She shook her head. She and Xarabar had come precisely because of the matter of her cousin’s courtships. Natalie, a year older than the queen and having successfully found love and affection in her own marriage on which the fortunes of a dynasty turned, hoped to aid her in finally finding love of her own. She had sent word ahead to her cousin and had rushed to Turanda, and Xarabar determined to support her had of course followed.

Turanda
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Turanda » Fri Mar 31, 2023 6:17 pm

There was the sound of high laughter as Queen Oiyora hurrief into into the pavilion that bore her name at the entrance of Ahamibaga. She hurried , her head held high and a wide grin on her lips. She wore a bright yellow dress, made from the light thin cotton from the south of the country. It was an empire waist gown, for Oiyora followed the fashionable trends of the Celestial Court, where the high waists and long trains of pastel colored dress were ever popular. The young monarch wore her thick curls high on her head, a yellow and white carnation pin in it. Stud diamond earrings pierced her ears and a thin diamond and silk necklace sat in the hallow of her throat.

She raced towards her dearest friend and her favorite cousin, Crown Princess Natalie, her skirts in her hands, the train of her dress fluttering behind her. Oiyora herself had greatly inserted herself in the affairs of her cousin in the romantic affairs of her cousin and it seemed only fitting that Natalie had come to paid her back. But Oiyora did not care as she always adored to see her doll of a cousin. She rushed to Natalie, taking her by a hand and hugging her tightly.

“Natalie! How wonderful it is to see you!” Oiyora said. She pulled away from the hug, still gripping her cousin’s free hand. She, almost as an afterthought gently poked Crown Prince Xarabar on the nose with a smile. “I suppose it is good to see you as well Xa-xa.”

From behind the queen came rushing her ladies-in-waiting. Oiyora had modeled much of her own court off of that of the Celestial Court and thus thought it positively necessary that the queen have ladies-in-waiting. Running to hurry after their monarch, the court ladies, Louisa de Sobre, Valeriana di Le Monte, Feyese Rada and Persinna Dagmawi were all the same age as the Queen, the second, third and fourth daughters of knights and barons from her grand aunt’s court, gripping their dresses as they raced after her. They wore pale green dresses like the leaves to the Queen’s bloom.

Leriya
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Leriya » Fri Mar 31, 2023 7:32 pm

Natalie laughed with delight as she found herself embraced by her cousin. While she was Queen Oiyora to the rest of the world, to Natalie and the rest of their family who knew her from before she ascended the Turandan throne and took a new regnal name, she remained Josephine. Natalie squeezed her cousin’s hand.

“It is so good to see you too Josephine!” Natalie said. She naturally spoke with a soft and quiet voice. Growing up, as the middle child and given her short stature, Natalie had often been over looked or forgotten in favor of her brilliant older sister or by the affections for her baby brother. But Josephine had always seemed to see her, and make space for her to exist.

And even then, the Queen of Turanda often spoke loud enough for the both of them. As different in temperament as they may have been, as Natalie had grown more into her role as crown Princess she too had grown more appreciative of that friendship.

“Your Majesty,” Xarabar said reflectively with a short bow, his face turning red at the pole if his nose. His own family were quite formal and serious. As both the political and religious leaders of Leriya, the House of Saa had a duty ti be most serious and temperate. Thus the playful and familial nature of Natalie’s family, even when so many of them were kings and queens, was an odd but welcomed escape for the crown Prince.

Still, he raised his eyebrow at the latest of the Queen’s nicknames for him. “Xa-xa?”

Turanda
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Turanda » Fri Mar 31, 2023 7:41 pm

“Of course it a,” Oiyora said with a shrug of her shoulders as Natalie’s comment. “When is it not?” This brought out a fresh chuckled out of the young monarch. She had never been one to down play her own greatness. Whether that be in beauty, bed or simply company. She was positively the best conversationalist that she knew.

Her shoulder shrugged again as she looked up at Xarabar. While taller than her cousin, though then there aeeent many who weren’t taller than the woman, she was still dwarfed by the height of the Leriyan heir even if he didn’t loom quite as high as their Valwa-Wessex cousins, Theodosia, Charles and Augusta, who were giants.

“Do you like it?” Oiyora said. “Decided to give it a try.” The queen loved to give out nicknames, particularly to her loved ones. Her favorite was for her cousin the King of Narumada, admittedly mostly on account that he loathed it. But yet Teddy fit him so well.

Leriya
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Leriya » Fri Mar 31, 2023 7:58 pm

Xarabar rubbed the back of his head with a noncommittal smile. It was a nickname that struck him as a bit too childish for him. He was a grown man after all. Natalie wrinkled her nose in disapproval of the nickname.

“I’ve always been partial towards Bary,” Natalie said, referring to the nickname that Josephine had dubbed him with when they had first met, coming from the latter part of his name. She too had started over the course of their marriage to use it to refer to him.

Turanda
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Turanda » Fri Mar 31, 2023 8:06 pm

Oiyora grinned, squeezing her cousin’s hand in response.

“Bary it shall be then of course,” the Queen of Turanda said, as if it were a serious state matter that they had been discussing and they had just finalized the matter. She nodded to Natalie and then to Xarabar, letting go of the former’s hand and turning back to the palace. “Won’t you join me in the drawing room, for Adela and her stepsons arrive?”

Leriya
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Leriya » Fri Mar 31, 2023 8:14 pm

“Of course,” Xarabar said, following after Oiyora. “Though only if there are the famous Valwa paste ties?”

Not continent with this, Natalie moved faster, catching up with her cousin and looping her arm her so that Natalie walked between the two taller companions.

“Speaking of Adela,” Natalie said, daring to broach the topic that was in truth the great core of the matter of their own being in Turanda, “and her stepsons, what are your thoughts. Do you truly think you shall marry one of them?” The crown Princess tried for neutrality in her tone, not wishing to sound to excited in her invested interest.

Turanda
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Turanda » Fri Mar 31, 2023 8:27 pm

“Pastries,” Oiyora said, “naturally, of course. I listened to Aunt Louise carefully I assure you. When I went about poaching Andeja’s architects, I made sure to take with me a Deritain pastry chef. Trust me Bary, Chef Mda makes the most delicious little lemon buttercream cakes, along with delightful sugarcoated samosas.”

Oiyora kicked at an non-existent rock on the path through the pavilion as they passed the breathtaking arches and into the long sun filled corridors overlooking green courtyards on one side and decorated with large portraits of scenes of mythical erotica, taken from inspiration of renaissance artsy, with Turandan and Genoise men and women in a testament of beauty.

“I shall adore seeing Adela once again. As for the Meyarineo princes, I do not know, dear cousin. I know neither of them. And I have no intend of having my life being decided on someone I know nothing of.”

Leriya
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Leriya » Fri Mar 31, 2023 8:35 pm

“I do love samosas,” Xarabar said with a grin. He wasn’t sure if de was qualified on the topic of the meeting. While he knew that to be the truth in the reason for their coming, he felt that, marriages and arrangements and the advice to the Turandan queen, lay truly in the domain of his wife. “I look forward to sampling Chef Mda’s.”

“It will be nice to see Adela,” Natalie agreed. “She had always had such a level head on her shoulders. I can not imagine that she could possibly err in her selection of candidates for your affections.”

Turanda
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Turanda » Fri Mar 31, 2023 8:45 pm

Oiyora laughed though there wasn’t a true sense of humor in it. Behind them, the Queen’s ladies had fallen into step as they turned a corner and entered into the drawing room which looked out to the south over the grounds of the palace. High ceilings looked up over the drawing room, vaulted with domes painted in soft blues and mosaics of multicolored designed and glided borders. Tall windows filled the room with light. The furniture, all charting and locally made in ornate but also cushioned and comfortable fashion.

“I have no doubt in Adela’s ability to consider the evaluation of a man, no more so than any other matchmaker I am sure. Wise and majestic as our dear cousin may be, I do doubt Adela’s ability to see into my own mind and know what I wish in such a suitor.”

Leriya
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Leriya » Fri Mar 31, 2023 8:54 pm

“Of course,” Natalie said demurely as she Xarabar pulled out a seat for her. She understood that naturally no one could could read another’s mind. But that didn’t mean one’s mind had to be entirely closed off to them. The crown princess took a seat, reaching out to take her cousin’s hand.

“And what is it that you wish in a suitor?”

Turanda
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Turanda » Fri Mar 31, 2023 9:09 pm

Oiyora waved aside the comment from Natalie as she too took her seat. She looked to one of her ladies as they entered the drawing room and took their own seats, slightly set back from the royals themselves.

“Valeriana,”Oiyora said, “could you be a dear, I wish to listen to something.”

“Yes Your Majesty,” Lady Valeriana said with a curtsy and a smile, making her way over to the corner where a harp stood. She began to play, feeling the room with the softness of music. Feyese rang a bell and servants arrived in the drawing room carrying plates of sweets and setting the table for coffee.

“Aunt Louise has threatened an embargo on tea you know,” Oiyora said with a laugh as the servants prepared the drinks. “She finds it far too Hyrukian. Though I do not mind the importation of Zagra coffee, eh Bary,” she nodded to Xarabar.

Leriya
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Leriya » Fri Mar 31, 2023 9:17 pm

Xarabar grinned at Oiyora. Zagra coffee was a rare and rich strain of coffee grown in the Southwest of Leriya. Coffee was one of the major exports of Leriya, and the crown prince was confident in asserting that they made the best in the world. He graciously accepted the cup from the servant.

“Josephine,” Natalie said. It was closest the crown princess had ever come to being firm as she tried to steer her cousin back to the conversation at hand.

Turanda
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Turanda » Fri Mar 31, 2023 9:26 pm

Oiyora huffed, adding cream and sugar to the dark coffee and sting it gently in her cup as she was forced to acknowledge her cousin’s comment. She seemed to stir the coffee with a speed that neared ferocity.

“I do not know, Natalie,” Oiyora said with a huff. “I do not read my heart everyday in pursuit of finding a suitable man to waddle behind me. Though I will what I do not wish and I shall know it when I see it. A welp never, vanity intolerable, domineering unsuitable, meet revolting. To name a few of the aspect most common on these suitors that buzz like flies.”

Leriya
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Leriya » Fri Mar 31, 2023 9:32 pm

“It’s sounds like you may not approve of any man,” Xarabar said with a sip of his coffee. The smell was marvelous. Natalie gave him a look and she shrugged his shoulders, having temporarily forgotten in the comfort of the drawing room that had elected to leave the matter to his wife. He smiled sheepishly. “Did I say that out loud?”

“Very much so,” Natalie said, adding sugar to her coffee. While she did not mind the darknesses of the coffee like her husband, she couldn’t take the lack of sweetness. She looked to her cousin. “Though I can’t say I much disagree with Bary.”

Turanda
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Turanda » Fri Mar 31, 2023 9:40 pm

Oiyora shrugged. “ I assure you I have nothing against men themselves. Nor would I be oppose to the throwing open the net to the women of the courts if the continent, though there I suspect I too would find the same faults. And I imagine my ministers would be most opposed to idea. As progress as Turanda may be, I think they’d find it behind the pale. All the more the only goal they seek in my marriage is the production of an heir.”

She took a sip from her cup. “I have no issue in finding a partner in the bedroom, in that I assure you I am unmatched. It is marriage in that aspect that is the issue. Marriage is not as simple for me, Natalie.”

Leriya
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Leriya » Fri Mar 31, 2023 9:47 pm

Xarabar took another sip of his coffee, his eyes looking back and forth between his wife and her cousin. Natalie tapped her finger against her cup.

“Marriage has never been easy, for anyone,” Natalie said softly. “Certainly not for us, as royals I am sure, but I assure you that it need not be so difficult. Love matches do exist after all. You need only look at me and Bary.”

Xarabar smiled, leaning forward and kissing his wife’s cheek. Natalie blushed and pressed on in her point to the queen.

“Perhaps if only you were a bit more open minded?”

Turanda
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Turanda » Fri Mar 31, 2023 9:53 pm

There was small smile on Oiyora’s lips. She adored to see her cousin happy with Xarabar. Indeed she would have surely see to it that he paid for it if he did not keep her happy. Still she had to deal with the conversation she found herself trapped in.

“There is no one,” Queen Oiyora said, setting her cup down with a mocking sense of superior seriousness, “more open minded than me, I assure you.”

Leriya
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Leriya » Fri Mar 31, 2023 10:12 pm

Natalie gave the Queen of Turanda a look. Xarabar chuckled into his cup. He believed that while the queen may in deed have an open mind in regards to her own sexual liberation, an idea that Xarabar and Natalie stood in support of on principle if maybe not entirely in detail given the extent of her rumored proclivity, was not the same as to what Natalie spoke on.

“Josephine,” Natalie echoed. “Truly open minded? In regards to not just lust but to love? To affection? I only wish for you to be happy. But you must allow happiness to enter into your own life first.”

Turanda
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Turanda » Fri Mar 31, 2023 10:15 pm

Oiyora chewed the bottom of her lip. It seemed that a Natalie was to be like a dog with bone in this regard. “I see you two have conspired to hound me on the matter. And what if I were to find that I am quite happy in my own independence, unattached and without the responsibilities and duties of what my marriage would require of me?”

Leriya
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Leriya » Fri Mar 31, 2023 10:22 pm

Natalie pursed her lips, unsure as how to respond to her cousin’s words. And feeling slight off put at the sharpness in the respond by the queen.

“I do not mean to hound you. I am not your ministers. I do not care about the making of children as heirs. I am here not to push on you in any one course, only to advise you on which one you take, as your cousin, as family,” she took Josephine’s hand once more, “and most importantly as your friend.”

“If I may,” Xarabar said, for the second time breaking his uninvolvement—for he was truly far too invested as not to be— “If you truly have no interest in marriage, declare it. You are unique in your position. You need not marry. If push comes to shove, heirs can be found elsewhere. You have brothers. But if there is a part of you that wishes for the chance…”

“You should pursue it,” Natalie finished her husband’s thought. “Honestly and to the fulliest of its thoughts.”

Turanda
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Turanda » Fri Mar 31, 2023 10:28 pm

Queen Oiyora looked away from Natalie and Xarabar, taking the moment to actually consider their words, in truth not a common occurrence in regards to her. She was a women who more often than not acted. She didn’t enjoy or make often deep introspection. But there was such sincerity in Natalie’s words and logic to those of Xarabar that she could not help feel as if she had to confront them within her own mind.

“I suppose,” she said after a moment, “there are worse things. And I admit I have never been a solitary creature: marriage, and I suppose love, if made properly suitable,” she emphasized, “could be found to be… tolerable.”

Leriya
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Leriya » Fri Mar 31, 2023 10:34 pm

Natalie and Xarabar both looked at one another with a smile and jump as if they had finally, at king last broken through a seal to reveal a long searched for piece of treasure. Yes, Oiyora had only called it tolerable, but coming from her that might as well have been a full on endorsement and Xarabar in particular was pleased enough with that. Natalie thought still had higher hopes for her cousin.

Between her and Adela, she was sure that they could find the perfect match for their cousin, whether that was Adela’s stepsons or not was actually far less important to the crown Princess of Leriya but it as a vital first step. She leaned forward, with a grin to her cousin. “So you shall give the Meyarineo boys a fair chance?”

Turanda
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Turanda » Fri Mar 31, 2023 10:41 pm

“Yes, yes,” Oiyora said leaning back in her chair, having at last relented as she had under the pressure of her ministers under that of Natalie, though she was far happier to do so with her cousin and in truth it did feel as if there were some weight lifted off of her shoulders. No, she had no intention of marrying the very next man she saw in a half of a fortnight. But she would leave herself space and time to take them under inspection.

“I promise you,” Oiyora said, “I shall give the Meyarineo boys a fair chance, and perhaps one of them may prove to my likeling, or perhaps not, in that I make no commitment. But they may try their hands at the game of courtship.” She sipped her coffee. “Now all that is to be seen is if they are well worth all the fuss.”

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to NationStates