NATION

PASSWORD

MCU/Superhero Discussion Thread

A coffee shop for those who like to discuss art, music, books, movies, TV, each other's own works, and existential angst.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Opinion on Across the Spider-Verse

Haven’t Seen It
37%
0 Stars
2%
1 Star
2%
2 Stars
2%
3 Stars
10%
4 Stars
49%

Total votes : 63

Forsher
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jan 30, 2012
New York Times Democracy

Postby Forsher » Mon Mar 13, 2023 4:20 pm

Ameriganastan wrote:
Lord Dominator wrote:I am actually surprised it’s considered a superhero movie, but then I’ve not seen it :p

I've seen some clips, and I think trying to label it as one single genre is doing a disservice to its complete weirdness.

I would compare it most closely to this.

Unless you're talking about the Megamind style "supervillain with elaborate scheme is captured, jailed and then escapes rinse and repeat", superhero fiction isn't a genre. For example, no-one's going to call Sherlock Hound a superhero story even though it almost follows this structure to a T (Moriarty always escapes). But more importantly, no-one would say that the MCU doesn't have superheroes even though hardly any of the movies work like this (arguably, none do). Rather superhero fiction is a setting where superpowers exist... and any genre of story is capable of existing within that setting.

EEAAO is an absurd film, quite deliberately so, but the basic structure is the same as Ant Man. A character is introduced to a fantastic world by someone who hopes that they're capable of solving a problem that can only exist within that fantastic world. What specifically happens is very different but that's the basic core of the film as you start watching it. It's won the Best Picture Oscar probably because the character story doesn't require the fantastic elements... it's a subject which is seen as Serious Cinema, i.e. the family drama.

Compare also: Hook, Turning Red and Encanto.
That it Could be What it Is, Is What it Is

Stop making shit up, though. Links, or it's a God-damn lie and you know it.

The normie life is heteronormie

We won't know until 2053 when it'll be really obvious what he should've done. [...] We have no option but to guess.

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Cannot think of a name » Mon Mar 13, 2023 6:09 pm

Ameriganastan wrote:
Lord Dominator wrote:I am actually surprised it’s considered a superhero movie, but then I’ve not seen it :p

I've seen some clips, and I think trying to label it as one single genre is doing a disservice to its complete weirdness.

I'm not going to weigh in on the debate over whether or not it's a superhero movie, but it is an absolute delight. Easily one of my favorite movies of the year. For a movie based on such a sci fi conceit (that by doing something unexpected you can tap into the skills of an alternate universe version of yourself...over simplifying it a bit but not much) to get this much award attention is significant whether or not you consider it a super hero movie.
"...I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season." -MLK Jr.

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jul 01, 2008
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Tue Mar 14, 2023 4:16 pm

Gotham Knights starts tonight. I'm morbidly curious to see the show they cancelled the entire Arrowverse for.
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Eric Lumen: Ultimate Chad
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant
Edward Richtofen wrote:Ameri's so tough that he criticized an Insane Asylum and was promptly let out

Ameri does the impossible.
Fire the Ameri.
Sinovet wrote:Ameri's like Honey badger. He don't give a fuck.

Krazakistan wrote: He is a force of negativity for the sake of negativity

Onocarcass wrote:Trying to change Ameri, is like trying to drag a 2 ton block of lead with your d**k.

Immoren wrote:When Ameri says something is shit it's good and when Ameri says some thing is good it's great. *nods*

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Postby Cannot think of a name » Tue Mar 14, 2023 4:27 pm

Ameriganastan wrote:Gotham Knights starts tonight. I'm morbidly curious to see the show they cancelled the entire Arrowverse for.

I legit forgot that was even a thing.

Watching The Flash wind down it's kind of remarkable how out of date it looks now when ten years ago it looked so modern (which is how time works...)
"...I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season." -MLK Jr.

The Church of Satan
Minister

Founded: Apr 15, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Church of Satan » Tue Mar 14, 2023 4:53 pm

Forsher wrote:
Ameriganastan wrote:I've seen some clips, and I think trying to label it as one single genre is doing a disservice to its complete weirdness.

Unless you're talking about the Megamind style "supervillain with elaborate scheme is captured, jailed and then escapes rinse and repeat", superhero fiction isn't a genre. For example, no-one's going to call Sherlock Hound a superhero story even though it almost follows this structure to a T (Moriarty always escapes). But more importantly, no-one would say that the MCU doesn't have superheroes even though hardly any of the movies work like this (arguably, none do). Rather superhero fiction is a setting where superpowers exist... and any genre of story is capable of existing within that setting.

EEAAO is an absurd film, quite deliberately so, but the basic structure is the same as Ant Man. A character is introduced to a fantastic world by someone who hopes that they're capable of solving a problem that can only exist within that fantastic world. What specifically happens is very different but that's the basic core of the film as you start watching it. It's won the Best Picture Oscar probably because the character story doesn't require the fantastic elements... it's a subject which is seen as Serious Cinema, i.e. the family drama.

I would argue that given the name of the movie and what I've seen from the trailers, it's as many movie genres as they could make work. So no one genre can possibly fit it in its entirely.
The Rejected Realms: Former Delegate | Former Vice Delegate | Longest Consecutively Serving Officer in TRR History - 824 Days
Free the WA gnomes!

Chanku: This isn't an election it's an assault on the eyes. | Ikania: Hear! The Gospel of... Satan. Erh...
Yuno: Not gonna yell, but CoS is one of the best delegates ever | Ever-Wandering Souls: In the liberal justice system, raiding-based offenses are considered especially heinous. In The South Pacific, the dedicated defenders who investigate these vicious felonies are members of an elite squad known as the Council on Regional Security. These are their proscriptions. DUN DUN.

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Postby Cannot think of a name » Tue Mar 14, 2023 8:04 pm

The Church of Satan wrote:
Forsher wrote:

I would argue that given the name of the movie and what I've seen from the trailers, it's as many movie genres as they could make work. So no one genre can possibly fit it in its entirely.

It's a bit like if you took every A24 movie ever released and put them in a blender. As much as it is a sci fi movie and an action movie, it also spends a lot of time being a movie about parents and children over multiple generations, immigrants living in two worlds but not really in either of them, love, forgiveness. It's a whole heaping helping of a movie. For a movie that eventually hinges on googlie eyes, sausage fingers, and pet rocks it oddly never dumbs itself down and the only way for that sentence to make sense is to see it.

Not that you have to see it or if you don't like it you're wrong. Personally though, obv, I really loved it.

Forsher
Postmaster of the Fleet

New York Times Democracy

Postby Forsher » Tue Mar 14, 2023 10:35 pm

The Church of Satan wrote:
Forsher wrote:

It's a science fiction action dramedy.

But what genre of EEAO is or isn't has nothing to do with what I'm talking about. You can tell by the way I say "superhero fiction isn't a genre".

We won't know until 2053 when it'll be really obvious what he should've done. [...] We have no option but to guess.

The Church of Satan
Minister

Founded: Apr 15, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Church of Satan » Wed Mar 15, 2023 3:06 am

Forsher wrote:
The Church of Satan wrote:I would argue that given the name of the movie and what I've seen from the trailers, it's as many movie genres as they could make work. So no one genre can possibly fit it in its entirely.

It's a science fiction action dramedy.

But what genre of EEAO is or isn't has nothing to do with what I'm talking about. You can tell by the way I say "superhero fiction isn't a genre".

One could reasonably argue that it is at least in part a superhero movie. The main character gains a superpower and has to save all of creation from being destroyed. But it's definitely so much more than that.
The Rejected Realms: Former Delegate | Former Vice Delegate | Longest Consecutively Serving Officer in TRR History - 824 Days
Free the WA gnomes!

Chanku: This isn't an election it's an assault on the eyes. | Ikania: Hear! The Gospel of... Satan. Erh...
Yuno: Not gonna yell, but CoS is one of the best delegates ever | Ever-Wandering Souls: In the liberal justice system, raiding-based offenses are considered especially heinous. In The South Pacific, the dedicated defenders who investigate these vicious felonies are members of an elite squad known as the Council on Regional Security. These are their proscriptions. DUN DUN.

Christian Confederation
Senator

Founded: Dec 12, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Christian Confederation » Thu Mar 16, 2023 12:19 am

Ameriganastan wrote:Gotham Knights starts tonight. I'm morbidly curious to see the show they cancelled the entire Arrowverse for.

Not really, Arrowverse was dead when Gotham Knights was announced. All Gotham Knights did was put a cap in Flash's back as it crawled away.
Founder of the moderate alliance
Open to new members, and embassy's.
My telagram box is always open for productive conversation.
IRL political views center right/ right.

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Postby Cannot think of a name » Thu Mar 16, 2023 1:40 pm

Christian Confederation wrote:

Not really, Arrowverse was dead when Gotham Knights was announced. All Gotham Knights did was put a cap in Flash's back as it crawled away.

Superman and Lois also came back with a new Jonathan Kent for some reason.

Christian Confederation
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Christian Confederation » Thu Mar 16, 2023 2:31 pm

Cannot think of a name wrote:
Christian Confederation wrote:Not really, Arrowverse was dead when Gotham Knights was announced. All Gotham Knights did was put a cap in Flash's back as it crawled away.

Superman and Lois also came back with a new Jonathan Kent for some reason.

Didn't the old actor have to quit for medical reasons?

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Postby Cannot think of a name » Thu Mar 16, 2023 2:59 pm

Cannot think of a name wrote:Superman and Lois also came back with a new Jonathan Kent for some reason.

Didn't the old actor have to quit for medical reasons?

I have no idea. There was one vague line in the wikipedia article which is where my curiosity ran out. I still haven't gotten around to Gotham Knights yet. I feel like I have Gotham burnout which considering how much Marvel I mainline just doesn't seem deserved.

But then also I keep forgetting I have Shazam tickets for tonight and don't actually remember all the superhero movies coming out this year. Though in that case that card keeps shuffling.

EDIT: Kraven the Hunter is supposedly coming out late this year. Between The Flash and Kraven and the other dead in the water DC movies, the theme this year seems to be 'are they still doing that?'
Last edited by Cannot think of a name on Thu Mar 16, 2023 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Christian Confederation
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Christian Confederation » Thu Mar 16, 2023 11:14 pm

Christian Confederation wrote:Didn't the old actor have to quit for medical reasons?

I have no idea. There was one vague line in the wikipedia article which is where my curiosity ran out. I still haven't gotten around to Gotham Knights yet. I feel like I have Gotham burnout which considering how much Marvel I mainline just doesn't seem deserved.

But then also I keep forgetting I have Shazam tickets for tonight and don't actually remember all the superhero movies coming out this year. Though in that case that card keeps shuffling.

EDIT: Kraven the Hunter is supposedly coming out late this year. Between The Flash and Kraven and the other dead in the water DC movies, the theme this year seems to be 'are they still doing that?'

Honestly the past couple of years have been more packed to make up for 2020 basically having no releases.

Forsher
Postmaster of the Fleet

New York Times Democracy

Postby Forsher » Fri Mar 17, 2023 12:11 am

Cannot think of a name wrote:I have no idea. There was one vague line in the wikipedia article which is where my curiosity ran out. I still haven't gotten around to Gotham Knights yet. I feel like I have Gotham burnout which considering how much Marvel I mainline just doesn't seem deserved.

Honestly the past couple of years have been more packed to make up for 2020 basically having no releases.

If this is made with the MCU in mind, I remind the thread 2017, 2018 and probably 2019 all had more MCU properties than any year subsequently and also the TV shows were two to three times as long as the Disney+ shows.

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Postby Cannot think of a name » Fri Mar 17, 2023 5:17 pm

I've rarely had this much room in the fancy theater on opening night of a movie as I did with Shazam! Fury of the Gods.

Christian Confederation
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Christian Confederation » Fri Mar 17, 2023 6:57 pm

Cannot think of a name wrote:I've rarely had this much room in the fancy theater on opening night of a movie as I did with Shazam! Fury of the Gods.

They did kind of just dump it, it probably won't even break even.

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Postby Cannot think of a name » Fri Mar 17, 2023 7:56 pm

Cannot think of a name wrote:I've rarely had this much room in the fancy theater on opening night of a movie as I did with Shazam! Fury of the Gods.

They did kind of just dump it, it probably won't even break even.

I feel like if you liked the first one you'd probably like this one. I felt it was uneven but I felt the same about the first one.

But there's a lot of set up that we now know is going nowhere, so I wonder if between that and the relatively low level of hype everyone just hit 'pass' on this. Or Black Adam really made people go 'nah.'

I'm just guessing, I haven't really heard anyone talk about this movie one way or the other.

I mean, I've watched worse DC movies. Recently.

Lord Dominator
Powerbroker

Founded: Dec 22, 2016
Right-wing Utopia

Postby Lord Dominator » Fri Mar 17, 2023 7:57 pm

That is a pretty low bar in general :p

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Postby Cannot think of a name » Fri Mar 17, 2023 8:11 pm

Lord Dominator wrote:

That is a pretty low bar in general :p

Could be worse, could be a Sony live action Spiderverse movie.

Christian Confederation
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Christian Confederation » Sat Mar 18, 2023 2:15 pm

Lord Dominator wrote:That is a pretty low bar in general :p

Could be worse, could be a Sony live action Spiderverse movie.

Honestly wouldn't be surprised if they tried to do a live Action Spiderverse.

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Postby Cannot think of a name » Sat Mar 18, 2023 4:46 pm

Cannot think of a name wrote:Could be worse, could be a Sony live action Spiderverse movie.

Honestly wouldn't be surprised if they tried to do a live Action Spiderverse.

That's what Venom/Kraven/Morbius are supposed to be. I imagine they've floated the idea of doing their own Miles Morales Spider-man.

Miles and Peter teaming up were a big part of the 2015 Secret Wars, Miles gave Molecule Man a two week old pocket burger...

Christian Confederation
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Christian Confederation » Sun Mar 19, 2023 5:21 pm

Christian Confederation wrote:Honestly wouldn't be surprised if they tried to do a live Action Spiderverse.

That's what Venom/Kraven/Morbius are supposed to be. I imagine they've floated the idea of doing their own Miles Morales Spider-man.

Miles and Peter teaming up were a big part of the 2015 Secret Wars, Miles gave Molecule Man a two week old pocket burger...

"Two week old pocket Burger" honestly wasn't expecting to read that today.

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Postby Cannot think of a name » Sun Mar 19, 2023 7:08 pm

Cannot think of a name wrote:That's what Venom/Kraven/Morbius are supposed to be. I imagine they've floated the idea of doing their own Miles Morales Spider-man.

"Two week old pocket Burger" honestly wasn't expecting to read that today.

My bad, three week old pocket hamburger.

And yeah, it's a lot to take in.

Christian Confederation
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Christian Confederation » Sun Mar 19, 2023 8:58 pm

Christian Confederation wrote:"Two week old pocket Burger" honestly wasn't expecting to read that today.

My bad, three week old pocket hamburger.

And yeah, it's a lot to take in.

It's like when a friend of mine asked if the Dinosaurs in Jurassic Park eat people, it's unexpected but funny.

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jul 01, 2008
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:15 am

Guardians 3 better give me my Beta Ray Bill appearance already. Come on! How long do I have to wait!?

If they can find a way to shove Darren Cross as M.O.D.O.K. into one of these movies, it can't be that hard to find an excuse for an alien who looks like a talking horse...who hopefully is voiced by Steve Blum again like he was in the cartoon.
Last edited by Ameriganastan on Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:21 am, edited 3 times in total.
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Eric Lumen: Ultimate Chad
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant
Edward Richtofen wrote:Ameri's so tough that he criticized an Insane Asylum and was promptly let out

Ameri does the impossible.
Fire the Ameri.
Sinovet wrote:Ameri's like Honey badger. He don't give a fuck.

Krazakistan wrote: He is a force of negativity for the sake of negativity

Onocarcass wrote:Trying to change Ameri, is like trying to drag a 2 ton block of lead with your d**k.

Immoren wrote:When Ameri says something is shit it's good and when Ameri says some thing is good it's great. *nods*

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Arts & Fiction