NATION

PASSWORD

Pervez Musharraf has died

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
Neu California
Senator

Founded: Jul 12, 2009
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Pervez Musharraf has died

Postby Neu California » Sun Feb 05, 2023 12:52 am

The BBC wrote:Pakistan's former president General Pervez Musharraf, who seized power in a coup in 1999, has died aged 79.

The former leader - who was president between 2001 and 2008 - died after a long illness, a statement from the country's army said.

He had survived numerous assassination attempts, and found himself on the front line of the struggle between militant Islamists and the West.

He supported the US "war on terror" after 9/11 despite domestic opposition.

In 2008 he suffered defeat in the polls and left the country six months later.

When he returned in 2013 to try to contest the election, he was arrested and barred from standing. He was charged with high treason and was sentenced to death in absentia only for the decision to be overturned less than a month later.

He left Pakistan for Dubai in 2016 to seek medical treatment and had been living in exile in the country ever since.

Obituary: Pervez Musharraf
In the statement confirming the death, the military said it expressed its "heartfelt condolences" and added: "May Allah bless the departed soul and give strength to bereaved family."

Pakistan's President Arif Ali prayed "for eternal rest of the departed soul and courage to the bereaved family to bear this loss", his office said in a statement cited by AFP news agency.

He leaves behind a complicated legacy. How do you think future generations will see him?

Me, I think he'll be largely associated with the War on Terror, with all the good and bad that comes with that, and will be seen in a very mixed light.
"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little"-FDR
"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why the poor have no food, they call me a communist"-Dom Helder Camara
"When you're accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression"-Unknown
He/him
Aspie and proud
I'm a weak agnostic without atheistic or theistic leanings.
Endless sucker for romantic lesbian stuff

"During my research I interviewed a guy who said he was a libertarian until he did MDMA and realized that other people have feelings, and that was pretty much the best summary of libertarianism I've ever heard"

Senkaku
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Sep 01, 2012
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Senkaku » Sun Feb 05, 2023 1:16 am

Biden-Santos Thought cadre

Great American United States
Lobbyist

Founded: Feb 04, 2023
Ex-Nation

Postby Great American United States » Sun Feb 05, 2023 1:23 am

Rest in Peace, President Musharraf was a good leader.

Aergeriastan
Political Columnist

Founded: Feb 05, 2023
Ex-Nation

Postby Aergeriastan » Sun Feb 05, 2023 1:28 am

Rest in peace :(

Picairn
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 21, 2020
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Picairn » Sun Feb 05, 2023 1:47 am

Not sure if I should feel sorry for a coup leader who suspended the Pakistani Constitution in 2007 and a neoliberal who banned trade unions and greatly increased economic inequality.

https://www.refworld.org/docid/4c52ca7732.html
Picairn's Ministry of Foreign Affairs
Minister: Edward H. Cornell
WA Ambassador: John M. Terry (Active)
Factbook | Constitution | Newspaper
Social democrat, passionate political observer, and naval warfare enthusiast.
More NSG-y than NSG veterans
♛ The Empire of Picairn ♛
-✯ ✯ ✯ ✯ ✯-—————————-✯ ✯ ✯ ✯ ✯-
Colonel (Brevet) of the North Pacific Army, COO of Warzone Trinidad

Nuevo Baltenstein
Civil Servant

Founded: Feb 03, 2023
Ex-Nation

Postby Nuevo Baltenstein » Sun Feb 05, 2023 3:22 am

Kudos for being a Pakistani leader who somehow managed to die of natural causes rather than being assassinated. That's quite a feat.
Last edited by Nuevo Baltenstein on Sun Feb 05, 2023 3:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

-Pashtunistan
Envoy

Founded: Aug 14, 2022
Ex-Nation

Postby -Pashtunistan » Sun Feb 05, 2023 3:25 am

*Arrests Pervez and sentences him to death*
>Later Pervez dies from natural causes
*Proceeds to say: "May Allah rest his soul"*
Last thing young tajik children see before being executed by Pashtun police officers.
I am an ex-Muslim who converted to Christianity. I am extremely racist(Indo-Europeans forever baby, except for the North Indians, I don't like them.) also but I can still have civil conversations, and ask that you do the same. I accept homosexuals(Bisexual myself, heh), but I don't believe a guy can change genders...
Homosexual rights are human rights. Bisexual Rights are human rights. Trans rights are satanic.

James_xenoland
Diplomat

Founded: May 31, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby James_xenoland » Sun Feb 05, 2023 4:23 am

RIP
One either fights for something, or falls for nothing.
One either stands for something, or falls for anything.

---
"I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it."

---
Rikese wrote:From a 14 year old saying that children should vote, to a wankfest about whether or not God exists. Good job, you have all achieved new benchmarks in stupidity.

Republic Of Ludwigsburg
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 26, 2021
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Republic Of Ludwigsburg » Sun Feb 05, 2023 4:27 am

He ruined a ruined country.
I can't wait for all the neocons to rush in defending him because "Packistayn is duh graytest alliye of Murica' in the middle east" without knowing anything about it's history and the king of coups.
Last edited by Republic Of Ludwigsburg on Sun Feb 05, 2023 4:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pro: Social Democracy, EU, LGBTQ+ Rights, Labour Party, Ukraine
Anti: Fascism, State Capitalism, Stalinism, Tankies supporting Russia, Nazism
bumbling fool
Politiscales: this
South German Times: Friedrich Schonbrunn diagnosed with Stage 1 Head and Neck Cancer, Gottfried Hallemark to immediately succeed. GDR President Alfred Wolff in grave controversy after calling rival candidate Jakob Silberstein a "schwein" during debate. Joe Biden to host NATO meeting in New York regarding aid to Ukraine. Alpine mountaineer Valentina Giatte successfully summits Mt. Everest. Former Kanzler Johan Schauff to create new hot beverage company, "Schauffee". SPECIAL: The Curious Case of James Friedenwahl: To find out more, log on to timessgermany.eu

Bahrimontagn
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 20, 2023
Ex-Nation

Postby Bahrimontagn » Sun Feb 05, 2023 10:22 am

He was between a rock and a hard place after 9/11 and did his best. Especially when up against a madman like Bush. Inna Lillahi wa inna ilayhi raji'un
"The last person to enter parliament with honest intentions was Guy Fawkes"

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General