NATION

PASSWORD

Chinese balloon shot down

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Was the U.S. justified in shooting down the balloon?

Yes
82%
No
18%

Total votes : 215

Great American United States
Lobbyist

Founded: Feb 04, 2023
Ex-Nation

Chinese balloon shot down

Postby Great American United States » Sat Feb 04, 2023 1:57 pm

https://apnews.com/article/politics-uni ... 59934c4cfb

A Chinese balloon had been in the skies above the U.S. and Canada since February 2nd, tracked by NORAD. The U.S. and Canada claims it was a reconnaissance aircraft that was deliberately violating their airspace for purposes of surveillance. China claims that it was a meteorological balloon that was inadvertently carried over the U.S. and Canada by prevailing winds. Around an hour ago, the balloon was shot down by a USAF aircraft.

Do you think that Biden was right to order the shootdown?

I do, surprisingly. I never thought that I'd agree with anything Biden has done, but this was justified. It might be a meteorological balloon, but China isn't to be trusted. It sends a message.

United Bongo States of America
Bureaucrat

Founded: May 30, 2022
Ex-Nation

Postby United Bongo States of America » Sat Feb 04, 2023 2:00 pm

The decision was not made by Biden. It was from the Department. Despite the fact that he may have approved it.

Durius
Minister

Founded: Oct 30, 2015
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Durius » Sat Feb 04, 2023 2:00 pm

Great American United States wrote:Do you think that Biden was right to order the shootdown?

Is it controversial? It was a unmanned and unknown foreign device flying over American skies. Even if it was a meteorologic balloon, why would the US just left it be?

Rakhalia
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 27, 2022
Ex-Nation

Postby Rakhalia » Sat Feb 04, 2023 2:01 pm

lmao they used like a $30,000 missile to take out a big balloon. hilarious
Last edited by Rakhalia on Sat Feb 04, 2023 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I have no doubt that the revolution will triumph. The people of the world will prevail,
seize power, seize the means of production, wipe out racism, capitalism.

Huey P. Newton

She / Her

Grenartia
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 14, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Grenartia » Sat Feb 04, 2023 2:01 pm

I definitely think it should have been shot down earlier, perhaps over flyover country. But every Faux News commentator or domestic terrorist with a political office and an (R) after their name calling for Biden's blood makes me only want to support Biden even harder.
Lib-left. Antifascist, antitankie, anti-capitalist, anti-imperialist (including the imperialism of non-western countries). Christian (Unitarian Universalist). Background in physics.
Mostly a girl. She or they pronouns, please. Unrepentant transbian.
Reject tradition, embrace modernity.
People who call themselves based NEVER are.
The truth about kids transitioning.

Grenartia
Post Czar

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Grenartia » Sat Feb 04, 2023 2:02 pm

Rakhalia wrote:lmao they used like a $30,000 missile to take out a big balloon. hilarious

That balloon definitely cost more than $30k. The helium alone probably cost twice that much.
Lib-left. Antifascist, antitankie, anti-capitalist, anti-imperialist (including the imperialism of non-western countries). Christian (Unitarian Universalist). Background in physics.

Raskana
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Mar 29, 2022
Father Knows Best State

Postby Raskana » Sat Feb 04, 2023 2:03 pm

I would have used the cannon, much cheaper, and more fun.
My other nations are Rosmana and raskana
NS policies are not used, see factbooks instead.

Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby United Bongo States of America » Sat Feb 04, 2023 2:03 pm

Biden 2024

Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Great American United States » Sat Feb 04, 2023 2:04 pm

United Bongo States of America wrote:The decision was not made by Biden. It was from the Department. Despite the fact that he may have approved it.

Whatever, I didn't read into it that much. I'd heard that he ordered it.

Durius wrote:
Great American United States wrote:Do you think that Biden was right to order the shootdown?

Is it controversial? It was a unmanned and unknown foreign device flying over American skies. Even if it was a meteorologic balloon, why would the US just left it be?

It seems to be controversial enough to spark a diplomatic incident.

Rakhalia wrote:lmao they used like a $30,000 missile to take out a big balloon. hilarious

The balloon probably cost a ton. $30k is small potatoes.

United Bongo States of America wrote:Biden 2024

I wouldn't go that far.
Last edited by Great American United States on Sat Feb 04, 2023 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

North Macaronesa
Envoy

Founded: Sep 06, 2022
Ex-Nation

Postby North Macaronesa » Sat Feb 04, 2023 2:04 pm

Grenartia wrote:I definitely think it should have been shot down earlier, perhaps over flyover country. But every Faux News commentator or domestic terrorist with a political office and an (R) after their name calling for Biden's blood makes me only want to support Biden even harder.

It wasn't shot down earlier because the debris would've damaged infrastructure or smth

"Biden concluded that the U.S. would not shoot down the balloon because debris from it could cause damage on the ground, a Pentagon official said." -https://www.cnbc.com/2023/02/04/us-military-prepares-to-take-down-suspected-chinese-surveillance-balloon.html#:~:text=The%20decision%20was%20made%20in,ground%2C%20a%20Pentagon%20official%20said.
Last edited by North Macaronesa on Sat Feb 04, 2023 2:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Welcome to North Macaronesia! | She/Her | NS stats are not canon

The Macaronesian Times | Record snowfall on Telde causes worry for Tenerife farmers as temperatures increase | New Progressive Party calls for end of conversion therapy in North Macaronesia | Two die in Highway TR-1 landslide, critics call out highway system as "poorly designed", call for US-Interstate-style system

Overview
| Issue Draft

Rakhalia
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Rakhalia » Sat Feb 04, 2023 2:04 pm

Grenartia wrote:

That balloon definitely cost more than $30k. The helium alone probably cost twice that much.

it's just silly considering it's very unlikely it was actually spying on people lol
I have no doubt that the revolution will triumph. The people of the world will prevail,

Huey P. Newton

She / Her

Frisemark
Spokesperson

Founded: Aug 07, 2021
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Frisemark » Sat Feb 04, 2023 2:05 pm

Raskana wrote:I would have used the cannon, much cheaper, and more fun.

These balloons fly high above the effective range of any ballistic weapon.
The Kingdom of Frisemark
"From this day forward, I shall take up all the empire in my embrace. For I am father of the empire, as I am father to all creation. I will suffer no tired institution nor petty bureaucrat to stand between me and my children. I am the perfect loving god, and all will tremble to know me."
Denmark and the Netherlands had a kid, and it loves the color blue.
This nation is largely for me to autofellate many of my personal views.

Clinton Foundation deep cover agent and George Soros' loyal Jewish Space Laser operator. IRS Supersoldier. Card carrying DNC member.

Book List

Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby United Bongo States of America » Sat Feb 04, 2023 2:05 pm

North Macaronesa wrote:
Grenartia wrote:I definitely think it should have been shot down earlier, perhaps over flyover country. But every Faux News commentator or domestic terrorist with a political office and an (R) after their name calling for Biden's blood makes me only want to support Biden even harder.

It wasn't shot down earlier because the debris would've damaged infrastructure or smth

"Biden concluded that the U.S. would not shoot down the balloon because debris from it could cause damage on the ground, a Pentagon official said." -

I'm sure Donald Trump would have shot it all down.

Raskana
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Mar 29, 2022
Father Knows Best State

Postby Raskana » Sat Feb 04, 2023 2:06 pm

Frisemark wrote:

These balloons fly high above the effective range of any ballistic weapon.

I mean the ones on fighter jets, they have 20mm cannons.
My other nations are Rosmana and raskana
NS policies are not used, see factbooks instead.

Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Great American United States » Sat Feb 04, 2023 2:08 pm

Rakhalia wrote:
Grenartia wrote:

it's just silly considering it's very unlikely it was actually spying on people lol

Anything that disadvantages China, save for unprovoked warfare, I'm fine with.

AquilaJordyn
Envoy

Founded: Nov 06, 2014
Left-wing Utopia

Postby AquilaJordyn » Sat Feb 04, 2023 2:08 pm

I mean, I highly doubt this balloon was half as interesting as some commentators made it seem but yeah I guess it's worth shooting down as a precaution.

However, why did we just use a missile? America has so many historic, high-tech, and peculiar weapons we could have used. Why not get out one of our space lasers? We have those right?

I was told we can't have Universal Healthcare because America needs a military capable of Solo-fighting half of the world. I *expect* if we're going to have such an insanely funded military that they entertain me.
Last edited by AquilaJordyn on Sat Feb 04, 2023 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Overview Factbook|Emperor Vulcan saō Ðardanexia IX|Embassy Programme|Vis En Frites Seafood Restaurant Chain
|Intersectional Feminist|Environmentalist|White For Black Lives|Social Democrat|
Nationstates Stats & Policies are not Canon. The nation is called Syagros. Call the people Syagrots or Trojans.

Regnum Alea Spaceflee
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 02, 2022
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Regnum Alea Spaceflee » Sat Feb 04, 2023 2:08 pm

Why would a chinese weather balloon even being an American airspace? They should keep it in their borders.
Why is Emperor Nero in a red dress?
Must be
Fate./Extra Last Encore
Sometimes I'm glad Adam and Eve ate the apple.

II Soviet state
Envoy

Founded: Jan 24, 2023
Ex-Nation

Postby II Soviet state » Sat Feb 04, 2023 2:09 pm

It's a pity that this show is over. "China caught red-handed lying about a huge spy balloon over Montana" made my 10 am.
Although the decision was justified in principle, if I were an American I would like to see this balloon shot down.
Last edited by II Soviet state on Sat Feb 04, 2023 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rakhalia
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Rakhalia » Sat Feb 04, 2023 2:09 pm

Great American United States wrote:
Rakhalia wrote:it's just silly considering it's very unlikely it was actually spying on people lol

Anything that disadvantages China, save for unprovoked warfare, I'm fine with.

this is also v. silly because the only reason China could've done this on purpose is to see how you dudes would react. like china probably has a gajillion satellites peeping down at you and ur losing ur shit over a Big Balloon, it's just absurd and quite funny

Huey P. Newton

She / Her

Senkaku
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Sep 01, 2012
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Senkaku » Sat Feb 04, 2023 2:11 pm

United Bongo States of America wrote:The decision was not made by Biden. It was from the Department. Despite the fact that he may have approved it.

The decision to announce its presence at all was from DoD lol, this whole circus has been a Pentagon production from start to finish. This is a very simple story of DoD taking a convenient excuse (suspicious-looking but probably harmless balloon) to rain on State’s parade— kill Blinken’s summit, give the China hawks in Congress a bunch of free airtime, and give themselves a photo op.
Biden-Santos Thought cadre

Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Great American United States » Sat Feb 04, 2023 2:12 pm

Rakhalia wrote:
Great American United States wrote:Anything that disadvantages China, save for unprovoked warfare, I'm fine with.

this is also v. silly because the only reason China could've done this on purpose is to see how you dudes would react. like china probably has a gajillion satellites peeping down at you and ur losing ur shit over a Big Balloon, it's just absurd and quite funny

Yeah, I don't doubt that either.

Besides, if China did this, they would no doubt be celebrating it as well. There's no harm done, aside from the balloon being destroyed.

Durius
Minister

Founded: Oct 30, 2015
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Durius » Sat Feb 04, 2023 2:22 pm

Great American United States wrote:
Durius wrote:Is it controversial? It was a unmanned and unknown foreign device flying over American skies. Even if it was a meteorologic balloon, why would the US just left it be?

It seems to be controversial enough to spark a diplomatic incident.

The very existence of the balloon and the possibility of it being a spying tool was what triggered the diplomatic incident. You are making it sound like shooting it down was the actual problem.
Last edited by Durius on Sat Feb 04, 2023 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dylar
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 07, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Dylar » Sat Feb 04, 2023 2:39 pm

Regnum Alea Spaceflee wrote:Why would a chinese weather balloon even being an American airspace? They should keep it in their borders.

you see, there's this strange atmospheric phenomena called wind
St. Albert the Great wrote:"Natural science does not consist in ratifying what others have said, but in seeking the causes of phenomena."
Franko Tildon wrote:Fire washes the skin off the bone and the sin off the soul. It cleans away the dirt. And my momma didn't raise herself no dirty boy.

Pro: Life, Catholic, religious freedom, guns
Against: gun control, abortion, militant atheism
Interests: Video Games, Military History, Catholic theology, Sci-Fi, and Table-Top Miniatures games
Favorite music genres: Metal, Drinking songs, Polka, Military Marches, Hardbass, and Movie/Video Game soundtracks

Grenartia
Post Czar

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Grenartia » Sat Feb 04, 2023 2:59 pm

Missile is instakill, guns would only pass through the balloon and cause a slow leak. You might be able to swiss cheese it instead, but that'd require multiple passes and would make you look incompetent to people on the ground.

Grenartia
Post Czar

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Grenartia » Sat Feb 04, 2023 3:01 pm

North Macaronesa wrote:

"Biden concluded that the U.S. would not shoot down the balloon because debris from it could cause damage on the ground, a Pentagon official said." -https://www.cnbc.com/2023/02/04/us-military-prepares-to-take-down-suspected-chinese-surveillance-balloon.html#:~:text=The%20decision%20was%20made%20in,ground%2C%20a%20Pentagon%20official%20said.

I know that, but when it was over the Dakotas or something, it had to have passed over some relatively empty farmland that could be cleared of people ahead of time.

Rakhalia wrote:
Grenartia wrote:

Then why was it over America? You don't actually think it was a weather balloon, do you?
Last edited by Grenartia on Sat Feb 04, 2023 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General