NATION

PASSWORD

[PASSED] Repeal Museums of Musical Heritage

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.
The Serendipitous
Spokesperson

Founded: Nov 18, 2022
Ex-Nation

[PASSED] Repeal Museums of Musical Heritage

Postby The Serendipitous » Wed Dec 21, 2022 7:01 pm

Whereas the efforts to catalog music of local, national, and international importance set out by General Assembly Resolution #86, "Museums of Musical Heritage", have now been in place for over a decade,

And whereas the target has no binding clauses, only suggesting that nations and entities within nations contribute music,

And whereas having no mandates makes the resolution toothless, as any entity trying to destroy culture by prohibiting music can simply not allow the donation of relevant materials,

And whereas the resolution fails to properly address access to the musical museums themselves, instead suggesting the dissemination of the database, which falls short in the preservation of these heritage artifacts, which may still be readily withheld from public knowledge,

And whereas the manner in which the resolution attempts to accomplish its goals is largely inefficient, with the creation of two bureaucratic entities in order to accomplish its goals, wasting the precious resources this assembly has on a process that is largely unnecessary in order to truly preserve musical heritage, and that this inefficiency prevents further funding into other subject areas, including fundamental human rights and safety mandates,

And whereas any resolution that simultaneously does not accomplish its goals and prevents the World Assembly from achieving its more pertinent tasks does not deserve to stay on the books,

Therefore, be it resolved by the World Assembly that General Assembly Resolution #86, "Museums of Musical Heritage", is repealed.

"We, as a collective, understand deeply and innately the importance of music to nearly all cultures and species within the universe. Regardless of that importance, this misallocation of the World Assembly's resources has gone on for too long when there are much more pressing matters to consider before the Assembly."

The three creatures stand, eerily still. The now-echoing silence seems to echo through the room.
Last edited by Goobergunchia on Wed Jun 21, 2023 12:53 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Excidium Planetis
Powerbroker

Founded: May 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Excidium Planetis » Wed Dec 21, 2022 9:00 pm

OOC:
Good luck, the last two attempts were both overwhelmingly defeated at vote.
Current Ambassador: Adelia Meritt
Ex-Ambassador: Cornelia Schultz, author of GA#355 and GA#368.
#MakeLegislationFunnyAgain
Singaporean Transhumans wrote:You didn't know about Excidium? The greatest space nomads in the NS multiverse with a healthy dose (read: over 9000 percent) of realism?
Saveyou Island wrote:"Warmest welcomes to the Assembly, ambassador. You'll soon learn to hate everyone here."
Imperium Anglorum wrote:Digital Network Defence is pretty meh
Tier 9 nation, according to my index.Made of nomadic fleets.

News: AI wins Dawn Fleet election for High Counselor.

Magecastle Embassy Building A5
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 03, 2022
Corporate Police State

Postby Magecastle Embassy Building A5 » Wed Dec 21, 2022 9:03 pm

"Support."

~Spencer Hemming,
World Assembly Ambassador,
The Empire of the Ice States.
WA authorship.
Wallenburg wrote:If you get a Nobel Prize for the time machine because you wanted to win an argument on the Internet, try to remember the little people who started you on that way.
Ever-Wandering Souls wrote:Our research and user feedback found different use cases of bullets, such as hunting, national defense, and murder. Typically, most bullets fired do not kill people. However, sometimes they do. We found that nearly 100% of users were not impacted by shooting one random user every 30 days, reducing the likelihood of a negative impact on the average user.
Comfed wrote:When I look around me at the state of real life politics, with culture war arguments over abortion and LGBT rights, and then I look at the WA and see the same debates about cannibalism, I have hope for the world.

Bakivaland
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 18, 2022
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Bakivaland » Wed Dec 21, 2022 9:06 pm

"Support."
An avid politics nerd

The Serendipitous
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby The Serendipitous » Wed Dec 21, 2022 9:12 pm

Excidium Planetis wrote:OOC:

OOC:

And the worst that can happen is it's defeated again.

Excidium Planetis
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Excidium Planetis » Wed Dec 21, 2022 10:23 pm

The Serendipitous wrote:
Excidium Planetis wrote:OOC:

OOC:

And the worst that can happen is it's defeated again.

Actually the worst that could happen is Museums of Musical Heritage 2 gets passed.
Singaporean Transhumans wrote:You didn't know about Excidium? The greatest space nomads in the NS multiverse with a healthy dose (read: over 9000 percent) of realism?
Saveyou Island wrote:"Warmest welcomes to the Assembly, ambassador. You'll soon learn to hate everyone here."

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Kenmoria » Sat Dec 24, 2022 3:55 pm

“Your third clause convinced me. GA #92 is evidently close to useless at achieving its stated objectives. Therefore, I support this. I do believe that ‘suggesting the nations’ in the second clause should be ‘suggesting that nations’, but that appears to be a scrivener’s error.”
Hello! I’m a GAer and NS Roleplayer from the United Kingdom.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

The Serendipitous
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby The Serendipitous » Sat Dec 24, 2022 4:32 pm

Kenmoria wrote:“Your third clause convinced me. GA #92 is evidently close to useless at achieving its stated objectives. Therefore, I support this. I do believe that ‘suggesting the nations’ in the second clause should be ‘suggesting that nations’, but that appears to be a scrivener’s error.”

"We are pleased to have you support, Ambassador Lewitt. We are beginning to consider you a friend of The Serendipitous, or at least this sect of it."

Simone Republic
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 09, 2019
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Simone Republic » Sun Dec 25, 2022 2:41 am

I wouldn't bother if I was you, but good luck.

Merry Christmas.
All posts OOC. (He/him). I don't speak for TNP. IC the "white bear" (it) is for jokes only.

The Serendipitous
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby The Serendipitous » Thu Dec 29, 2022 12:05 pm

OOC: I have made a slight change to the bill. I noticed that the fourth clause, all of the examples were nearly alliterative. I simply made it so that they were alliterative, to add some character to the text.

The Serendipitous
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby The Serendipitous » Wed Jan 11, 2023 2:08 pm

OOC: Been about 2 weeks, anyone got anymore feedback?

Heidgaudr
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jun 25, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Heidgaudr » Tue Jan 17, 2023 1:28 pm

OOC: The cost argument seems to be unconvincing to many voters. Even though I think it's a legitimate argument to make, it may come across as flippant to many people because cost is a common argument against supporting artists IRL. Even though they aren't necessarily linked, to many voters the IRL implications are probably difficult or impossible to shake off.

Asgeir took out a map of the General Assembly building from his jacket pocket. As he opened it, some of the many folds cascaded down to the floor into a massive pile of cartographic spaghetti. He flipped through various pages to find where he was standing in what could kindly be called a labyrinthine maze of offices and debate chambers. He eventually traced out a path on the map to the debate chamber where the Serendipitousian's proposal for Repeal: Museums of Musical Heritage was being held and then tossed the now-used map into the nearest garbage bin.

After nearly a half-hour of brisk walking, he finally arrived. A quick rapping on the door yielded no response, so he opened it himself. Inside, the chamber was dark and smelled slightly of stale air. He fumbled around feeling the wall until he found the light switches which he quickly flicked to the 'on' position. Asgeir pulled out his phone to quickly review the video archive for finding where the Serendipitousian delegation was seated. After skimming through the video for a few seconds, he was able to pinpoint his destination.

Asgeir took out a small pocket notebook he kept in his jacket and began writing a note to the author:

Several proposals for the target resolution have failed at vote due to arguing that MoMH is too costly. Doing so in your proposal is likely a significant detriment to passage. Instead, I believe you should focus exclusively on how MoMH actually does nothing.

Good luck!

~Asgeir Trelstad
Ambassador to the World Assembly, The Associated Communities of Heidgaudr

Asgeir ripped the paper out of the notebook and placed it on the desk. Well, my job here is done, he thought to himself. I'm going to take a short break to catch my breath and then maybe I'll buy myself a nice dinner and a glass of brandy.
IC comments are from Amb. Asgeir Trelstad unless otherwise stated.
Factbooks: WA Staff | WA Agenda | Government | Religion | Demographics
Resolutions authored: GA#629, GA#638, GA#650

Excidium Planetis
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Excidium Planetis » Tue Jan 17, 2023 9:58 pm

OOC:
I would like to add that the most recent attempt, a joint effort by me and Ice States, primarily argued that the target didn't do anything, and it was STILL defeated at vote quote overwhelmingly.

However, I agree that the cost argument is not very convincing. It is made even worse than the cost argument in real life, because in real life at least people can sympathize with not wanting to pay higher taxes, whereas in NS, the money is fictitious so an impact on wallets from frivolous spending is non-existent.

Roylaii
Attaché

Founded: Jun 11, 2019
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Roylaii » Tue Jan 17, 2023 10:25 pm

OOC: There have been a few attempts at repealing this now, a objective of which I wholeheartedly support, but have all failed at vote. As ineffectual and wasteful as this resolution is, I doubt that any attempt to repeal it will be sucessful without some form of replacement to placate the many voters who appear to like having this resolution around. That's not to say I think it needs replacing, I do not, but it seems to me like the only real avenue to a sucessful repeal.
Πογερς

Princess Rainbow Sparkles
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Nov 08, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Princess Rainbow Sparkles » Wed Jan 18, 2023 9:52 am

"This financial argument in the fourth paragraph is weak, because it attacks all arts funding in principle. The Princess does not object to WA funding for the arts. The argument that the WA should generally be defunding arts programs so money can be spent elsewhere is unappealing to her. Our delegation will not support a repeal of MoMH on those grounds."

"If you want to focus on finances, focus on how it was wasteful and pointless to needlessly set up two expensive bureaucracies when one would have been sufficient. Or on how the target resolution requires pecuniary compensation to donors without any sort of fiscally responsible limitations."

"Consider whether the following argument might strengthen the repeal proposal:"

Dismayed that in addressing museum access MoMH failed to require fair, open, and equitable public access to museum facilities, thereby starkly limiting any potential benefit to future generations.

"I believe this is an appropriate criticism, given that the resolution chose to directly address museum access but did so with a mere suggestion that access be made readily available."

"A replacement to MoMH is a project the Princess's government may eventually pick up, but we struggled to come up with anything particularly good the last time we tried and stopped work without publishing a first draft. I do believe that WA members are generally quite fond of their music, and that repeal efforts have suffered from the fact that none of the criticisms of MoMH really point to a way in which it failed to promote musical heritage. Perhaps the above argument would help with that."

"Ultimately, I believe it would be best if there were some sort of replacement resolution on preserving musical heritage in active drafting before this repeal is proposed."

- Amb. K. Twinklebright

Simone Republic
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 09, 2019
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Simone Republic » Wed Jan 18, 2023 6:23 pm

The Serendipitous wrote:OOC: Been about 2 weeks, anyone got anymore feedback?

Still the same comment that it looks like the West Vesteria repeal will not make quorum and it appears to be a topic where there is a clear majority against repeal.
All posts OOC. (He/him). I don't speak for TNP. IC the "white bear" (it) is for jokes only.

The Serendipitous
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby The Serendipitous » Mon May 01, 2023 5:14 pm

OOC: Updates have been made, this shall be submitted soon, with or without complaint. I may draft a companion resolution that actually protects Musical Heritage.

The Ice States
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jun 23, 2022
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby The Ice States » Tue May 02, 2023 3:26 pm

"Despite, uh, certain regime changes in our nation, we still fully support this repeal, and look forward to its submission."

~Alexander Nicholas Saverchenko-Colleti,
World Assembly Ambassador,
The Communal Union of the Ice States.
Factbooks · 46x World Assembly Author · Festering Snakepit Wiki · WACampaign · GA Stat Effects Data

Posts in the WA forums are Ooc and unofficial, absent indication otherwise.
Please check out my roleplay thread The Battle of Glass Tears!
WA 101 Guides to GA authorship, campaigning, and more.

Desmosthenes and Burke
GA Secretariat

Founded: Oct 07, 2017
Corporate Bordello

Postby Desmosthenes and Burke » Tue May 02, 2023 3:55 pm

We wish the repeal the best of luck. The target is a frivolous waste of money that brings little to no value added and fails even the most cursory cost-benefit analysis.
GA Links: Proposal Rules | GenSec Procedures | Questions and Answers | Passed Resolutions
Late 30s French Married in NYC
Mostly Catholic, Libertarian-ish supporter of Le Rassemblement Nationale and Republican Party
Current Ambassador: Iulia Larcensis Metili, Legatus Plenipotentis
WA Elite Oligarch since 2023
National Sovereigntist
Name: Demosthenes and Burke
Language: Latin + Numerous tribal languages
Majority Party and Ideology: Aurora Latine - Roman Nationalism, Liberal Conservatism

Hébreux 13:2 - N’oubliez pas l’hospitalité car, grâce à elle, certains, sans le savoir, ont accueilli des anges.

The Serendipitous
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby The Serendipitous » Sat May 06, 2023 1:43 pm

This has been submitted here: https://www.nationstates.net/page=UN_vi ... 1683405567

Assuming it becomes quorate, it shall be voted upon in approximately a month. I shall continue work on the pseudo-replacement of this legislation in the meantime, and this month-long period should give me more than enough time to perfect it.

The Serendipitous
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby The Serendipitous » Thu May 25, 2023 9:13 pm

The Serendipitous wrote:This has been submitted here: https://www.nationstates.net/page=UN_vi ... 1683405567

Assuming it becomes quorate, it shall be voted upon in approximately a month. I shall continue work on the pseudo-replacement of this legislation in the meantime, and this month-long period should give me more than enough time to perfect it.

This has been resubmitted, following a failure to reach quorum.

Cappedore
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Dec 16, 2017
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Cappedore » Fri Jun 16, 2023 7:56 am

I hardly believe that the protection of cultural musical heritage is a "misallocation" of General Assembly resources, unless you believe that heritage shouldn't be preserved in any way, shape or form.
Last edited by Cappedore on Fri Jun 16, 2023 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
- Legislator and current Minister of Culture in The East Pacific.
- Former President, Deputy Prime Minister, Senator, and socialite of the Union of Allied States.
- 18 year old Brit with too many aspirations.
- Member of the Labour Party (UK).
- A fan of Clement Attlee.
Minister of Culture - The East Pacific
(Please acknowledge that what I say, promote, endorse, or oppose are NOT official positions of WAA in TEP unless explicitly stated otherwise.)
President Austin Merrill | Vice President Cleveland Durand | Chancellor Maya Murray

Tinhampton
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 05, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tinhampton » Fri Jun 16, 2023 8:43 am

Cappedore wrote:I hardly believe that the protection of cultural musical heritage is a "misallocation" of General Assembly resources, unless you believe that heritage shouldn't be preserved in any way, shape or form.

The author has a replacement.
Last edited by Tinhampton on Fri Jun 16, 2023 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Self-Administrative City of TINHAMPTON (pop. 329,537): Saffron Howard, Mayor (UCP); Alexander Smith, WA Delegate-Ambassador

Authorships & co-authorships: SC#250, SC#251, Issue #1115, SC#267, GA#484, GA#491, GA#533, GA#540, GA#549, SC#356, GA#559, GA#562, GA#567, GA#578, SC#374, GA#582, SC#375, GA#589, GA#590, SC#382, SC#385*, GA#597, GA#607, SC#415, GA#647, GA#656, GA#664, GA#671, GA#674, GA#675, GA#677, GA#680, Issue #1580, GA#682, GA#683, GA#684, GA#692, GA#693, GA#715
The rest of my CV: Cup of Harmony 73 champions; Philosopher-Queen of Sophia; *author of the most popular SC Res. ever; anti-NPO cabalist in good standing; 48yo Tory woman w/Asperger's; Cambridge graduate ~ currently reading The World by Simon Sebag Montefiore

Jabberwocky
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 02, 2017
Democratic Socialists

Postby Jabberwocky » Fri Jun 16, 2023 8:45 am

Can't we just pick up our instruments and play?
'Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
Did gyre and gambol in the wabe.
All mimsy were the borogoves
And the mome raths outgrabe.

Comfed
Minister

Founded: Apr 09, 2020
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Comfed » Fri Jun 16, 2023 11:08 am

Cappedore wrote:I hardly believe that the protection of cultural musical heritage is a "misallocation" of General Assembly resources, unless you believe that heritage shouldn't be preserved in any way, shape or form.

Indeed, it is only possible for the WA to protect cultural musical heritage and not anyone else in the world.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives