NATION

PASSWORD

Help with an issue.

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Ledarre
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: May 18, 2009
Ex-Nation

Help with an issue.

Postby Ledarre » Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:48 pm

Hi, I recently got this issue. I'm not sure what option to choose and I don't want my choice to prevent me from getting the "A question of faith" issue, since I rather enjoy the new custoizable features (even though I'm not sure this will have an effect) and I don't want to dismiss the issue beacuse I've been dismissing issues for two days and it's getting boring. Anyway heres the issue:

Several musicians have recently produced songs in which "Violet" sings silly and offensive things, causing outcries of horror from the Order of Violet.

The Debate
1) "THIS IS BLASPHEMY!" shouts Faith Broadside, Grand High Poobah of the Order of Violet. "Our holy scriptures specifically forbid any portrayal of our prophet's most holy voice. We cannot permit people to slander and mock our prophet and insult all of us. These people are simply doing this to see if we are extremists. Death to the blasphemers!"

2)Speaking anonymously and from hiding, one of the musicians says, "It was just meant to be a joke! I never thought that they'd take it so seriously. I just wanted to give them a little ribbing like I do the other major religions of Pastafarianism and Frisbeetarianism." Hope Summers glances over their shoulder to see if anyone is watching, "Please don't try to figure out who I am. I'm scared for my safety. The government should protect my freedom to insult whomever I want. Freedom of speech should hold nothing sacred, not even God."

3)"Freedom of speech is important, but so is freedom of religion. Surely we can strike some sort of balance?" says Anne-Marie Hamilton, chief spokesperson for the LSOC (the Ledarre Society of Compromisers). "Freedom of speech comes with a responsibility. People must avoid anything that insults another's religion, and if they aren't willing to do it themselves, the government must enforce it."

4)"His Holiness, the Grand High Poobah of Violet, has the right idea, but the wrong religion," says Freddy O'Bannon, the Prelate of Primary Public Relations for the fanatical organization Ledarre's Concerned Citizens for Our God. "This nation needs an official religion, and not support the Godless heathens who worship the idolotrous Violet. Appoint me as your spiritual adviser an I'll ensure that all people worship God in the correct way."

5)"They've got it all wrong. Freedom of speech isn't the problem, religion is!" shouts Klaus Licorish, at a local AA (Atheists Anonymous) meeting. "If religion were outlawed, this problem would solve itself. Just send them in for medical treatment. After all, anyone who believes in some big invisible dude who can do anything is clearly nuts."

I am thankful for any help offered.
The Murtunian Tribes wrote:
Ledarre wrote:I'm struggling to see the problem here. Just look at my nation, looks like a politically free nation, right? WRONG! The democratically elected parliament requires a unanimous vote to actually pass legalisation and with proportional representation and the number of extremists in parliament this is near impossible.

So the monarchy effectively rules by decree. I have achieved this through answering issues in a certain way... Unfortunately I can’t remember what those issues were. That plus a little bit of RP. Anyway my point is it’s easy to have moderate to high political freedoms and still have absolute power, you just have to be creative.

Huh. That's a rather unique and, I must say, deliciously evil approach. *golfclap*

Leelan
Bureaucrat

Founded: Jul 08, 2009
Ex-Nation

Re: Help with an issue.

Postby Leelan » Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:53 pm

I would say option 3 is the best one. I don't know if it would have an affect on whether you'd be able to choose a religion or not. It would, however, probably raise the civil rights of your country, without downing the economy. A choice like that is rare, as most civil rights boosts have a negative effect on the economy.

Hope that helps!
"Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience."

Marcuslandia
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 26, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Marcuslandia » Wed Jul 22, 2009 4:05 pm

Just avoid choice #5.
"If you don't know what is worth dying for, your life isn't worth living."

"Choose wisely."

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:24 am

Leelan wrote:I would say option 3 is the best one. I don't know if it would have an affect on whether you'd be able to choose a religion or not. It would, however, probably raise the civil rights of your country, without downing the economy. A choice like that is rare, as most civil rights boosts have a negative effect on the economy.

Hope that helps!

Wouldn't the bit about "the government must enforce it" increase spending on the police, and thus increase taxation?
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Ledarre
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Ledarre » Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:54 am

Bears Armed wrote:
Leelan wrote:I would say option 3 is the best one. I don't know if it would have an affect on whether you'd be able to choose a religion or not. It would, however, probably raise the civil rights of your country, without downing the economy. A choice like that is rare, as most civil rights boosts have a negative effect on the economy.

Hope that helps!

Wouldn't the bit about "the government must enforce it" increase spending on the police, and thus increase taxation?

increased taxation would not be a good thing. Income tax is already at 78%, what would you suggest Bears Armed?
Ledarre wrote:I'm struggling to see the problem here. Just look at my nation, looks like a politically free nation, right? WRONG! The democratically elected parliament requires a unanimous vote to actually pass legalisation and with proportional representation and the number of extremists in parliament this is near impossible.

So the monarchy effectively rules by decree. I have achieved this through answering issues in a certain way... Unfortunately I can’t remember what those issues were. That plus a little bit of RP. Anyway my point is it’s easy to have moderate to high political freedoms and still have absolute power, you just have to be creative.

Huh. That's a rather unique and, I must say, deliciously evil approach. *golfclap*

The Emmerian Unions
Minister

Founded: Jan 02, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The Emmerian Unions » Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:41 pm

You can always dismiss the issue.
The Cake is a lie!
<<Peace through Fear and Superior Firepower>>

STOP AMERICAN IMPERIALISM? America is ANTI-IMPERIAL!
Ifreann wrote:"And in world news, the United States has recently elected Bill Gates as God Emperor For All Time. Foreign commentators believe that Gates' personal fortune may have played a role in his victory, but criticism from the United States of Gates(as it is now known) has been sparse and brief."
For good Russian Rock Radio, go here.
Please note, I rarely go into NSG. If I post there, please do not expect a response from me.
ALL HAIL THE GODDESS REPLOID PRODUCTIONS!

Cynthia McKinney
Spokesperson

Founded: Dec 11, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Cynthia McKinney » Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:23 pm

This issue is easy. The correct choice is option 2 which is the only option that protects BOTH freedom of speech and freedom of religion.

Option 1 promotes murder.

Option 3 protects freedom of religion but violates freedom of speech since it eliminates criticism of religion.

Option 4 supports establishing a state sponsored religion which would allow the favored religious group to persecute those of other religions.

Option 5 protects freedom of speech but violates freedom of religion since it outlaws all religions.

Ledarre
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Ledarre » Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:15 pm

Hi it's me again, thought I would post the issue here, rather than start a new topic in got issues. Anyway heres the issue I'm having problems with now.

The space research organization in Ledarre has requested more government funding for space-related research and development, and the possiblity of creating orbital weapons platforms has become a topic of intense debate.

The Debate
1)General Al Longfellow says, "We should spend more. But not just on exploration. We should start developing Orbital Weapons! Space Marines! Armed Spacecraft! We would rule the region, and look cool doing it! Just divert some funding from environmental protection, and BAM! Sci-fi goodies!"

2)Noted Scientist and pacifist writer Miranda Li thinks otherwise, "No! Space is a place for peace! It's the only place left we've got that we haven't screwed up. Oh, the space program still needs funding, don't get me wrong, but none of this 'military in space' stuff will do! We ought to divert funding from the military to education and space research instead!"

3)Fringe Group Leader George W. Hendrikson disagrees, "Space is a total waste of time. We should spend more on stuff people actually CARE about. Like voting rights and protecting the environment! Forget that fancy-schmancy space station!"

I'm not really interested in option 1, so heres the question: 2 or three; which one is better?

Cynthia McKinney
Spokesperson

Founded: Dec 11, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Cynthia McKinney » Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:07 pm

On the space issue both options 2 and 3 are good. It just depends on what your current priority is.

On option 2 military spending is reduced, spending on space research and education is increased.

On option 3 funding for environmental protection increases and political freedoms increase since you're also spending money on voting rights.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?