NATION

PASSWORD

The Coldest War Redux (Alt-Hist Cold War RP - OOC)

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Sao Nova Europa
Minister

Founded: Apr 20, 2019
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Sao Nova Europa » Tue Dec 20, 2022 2:01 pm

Benuty wrote:Population will be easy to figure out, but what about GDP?

I guess you could find a country comparable in terms of size, population, and economy to your country and use its 1960 GDP. It would be easier than trying to come up with rl GDP for eastern Siberia.
Signature:

"I’ve just bitten a snake. Never mind me, I’ve got business to look after."
- Guo Jing ‘The Brave Archer’.

“In war, to keep the upper hand, you have to think two or three moves ahead of the enemy.”
- Char Aznable

"Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat."
- Sun Tzu

Sao Nova Europa
Minister

Postby Sao Nova Europa » Tue Dec 20, 2022 2:02 pm

Great Confederacy of Commonwealth States wrote:A work in progress for the Federation of Banana Republics!

Skimming through it, it looks pretty good so far. :)
Signature:

“In war, to keep the upper hand, you have to think two or three moves ahead of the enemy.”
- Char Aznable

"Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat."
- Sun Tzu

Astarter
Spokesperson

Founded: Sep 28, 2022
Ex-Nation

Postby Astarter » Tue Dec 20, 2022 2:25 pm

Sao Nova Europa wrote:
Benuty wrote:Population will be easy to figure out, but what about GDP?

I guess you could find a country comparable in terms of size, population, and economy to your country and use its 1960 GDP. It would be easier than trying to come up with rl GDP for eastern Siberia.

Yeah I kinda just did some stuff, I have probably one of the worst economies but I plan on staying it somehow

Ok, so, my headcanon rn is that France dislikes the British due to surrendering, and is annoyed at the Americans for not intervening, but HATES the fake french and Germans, so will reluctantly help them do they can return to their territories.
Hello, person who’s reading this! Just so you know, this nation or any of my others don’t represent my views unless said other wise! Also, I am a puppet/new main account of New Morsland. This is country a WIP nation.

Nov 6, 2022, 6 PM, GMT, New Morsland CTE'd. Requiescat in pace
We are the best country ever. Sorry for not having such detailed factbooks yet! Haven’t gotten round to finishing them

Breaking News: I figured out you can restore dead nations using a password. New Morsland is safe.

Shohun
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Mar 26, 2022
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Shohun » Tue Dec 20, 2022 4:34 pm

Chedastan wrote:This is likely a question for the German, UK, and US players. Exactly how much military equipment/aid would either of you guys wagered your nations would have given or sold to Turkey between the late-40s and into the present day? Like early MBTs, early-gen fighters, warships, etc. Cause Turkey irl during WWII had a fair amount of equipment acquired from both the Axis and Allies, and could kinda see that trend continuing with this Alt!Cold War.

The US would have probably sold and donated a fair bit of equipment in the hopes that Turkey would not turn completely to the German side.

Sao Nova Europa
Minister

Postby Sao Nova Europa » Tue Dec 20, 2022 4:37 pm

Germany would also sell military equipment to Turkey, especially when it comes to tanks.
Signature:

- Char Aznable

- Sun Tzu

The Orson Empire
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 20, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Orson Empire » Tue Dec 20, 2022 5:20 pm

APPLICATION
NS Name: The Orson Empire
RP Name: Kingdom of Italy
Flag:
Capital: Rome
Territory:
Metropole- Italy, Sicily, Sardinia, Malta
Protectorates- Cyprus, Albania
Colonies- Suez Canal Zone, Libya, East Africa (Eritrea, Ethiopia, Somaliland), Sudan
Satellite States- Greece, Egypt
Population: 52 million (metropole)

Official Language(s): Italian
Ethnic Breakdown: Italian (metropole)
Religious Breakdown: 96% Roman Catholic, 4% other (metropole)

Type of Government: Constitutional monarchy (de jure), fascist one-party totalitarian dictatorship (de facto)

Head of State: Umberto II, King of Italy, King of Albania, Emperor of Ethiopia

Head of Government: Galeazzo Ciano, Count of Cortellazzo and Buccari- Head of Government and Leader of Fascism

Legislature: Italian Parliament
Legislative Houses: Senate (upper house), Chamber of Fasces and Corporations (lower house)
Party in Power: National Fascist Party (Partito Nazionale Fascista, or PNF)
National Issues:
Cold War- Italy is engaged in a bitter ideological struggle against the United States, alongside its ally Germany. The necessity of maintaining a powerful military to defend Italian colonies and interests globally proves extraordinarily expensive, while the fear of nuclear annihilation and colonial independence movements generates growing paranoia among the populace and Fascist Party leaders.

Colonial Unrest- Insurgencies in Sudan and East Africa are threatening the stability of colonial administrations, while the deployment of soldiers to restore order saps resources from the fascist regime.

German Dominance- Animosity and mutual distrust is slowly growing between Italy and Germany. Fascist Party leaders resent their status as "junior partners" to the German Reich, and desire their own place in the sun. Italy has resisted joining the European Economic Community to prevent Nazi domination of her entire economy, and seeks to reduce her dependence and ties to Germany.

Public Goals: Pacify colonial Insurgencies, maintain fascist supremacy, win the cold war
Private Goals: Reduce dependence on and integration with Germany

GDP (nominal): 150 billion USD
Currency: Lira
Economic System: Corporatism
Major Trade Partners: German Reich, Vichy France, United Kingdom, Spain
Alliance(s): Italo-German Pact

Military Branches: Regio Esercito (Royal Army, Regia Marina (Royal Navy), Regia Aeronautica (Royal Air Force)

Active Duty: 750,000
Reserve Duty: 1,500,000
Total Manpower: 2,000,000

Land Forces: The Regio Esercito contains 1,300,000 total soldiers and 1800 tanks, organized in 25 active and 40 reserve divisions.

Air Force: The Regia Aeronautica operates 2100 aircraft: 600 bombers, 600 fighters, 500 interceptors, and 400 transport/auxiliary craft.

Naval Forces: The Regia Marina fields 11 aircraft carriers, 5 battleships, 10 heavy cruisers, 30 light cruisers, 180 destroyers, and 145 submarines.

Other Military Information: The Voluntary Militia for National Security, aka Blackshirts, serve as the Fascist Party's paramilitary wing. It has a strength of 350,000, organized into 17 divisions.

Italy tested its first atomic bomb in 1954. As of 1960, the military possesses a stockpile of 500 nuclear weapons.

History: The Kingdom of Italy stood victorious alongside Nazi Germany in 1943, concluding a peace treaty which saw Britain and her colonies exit the war. Il Duce Benito Mussolini and his fascist party acolytes achieved their ultimate dream of establishing an Italian Empire, massively boosting Italy's prestige on the world stage, while the PNF's domestic popularity accelerated to unprecedented heights.

Italian troops occupied Cyprus and Malta, the Suez Canal Zone in Egypt, and Anglo-Egyptian Sudan. A protectorate was established over Albania, ruled as a personal, customs, and economic union under King Victor Emmanuel III. Italian officials intended to assimilate native Albanians into Italian culture and further colonize it with settlers from the peninsula. Egypt and Greece entered a military and economic alliance with Italy, effectively becoming puppet states.

The war's conclusion brought about a new era of peace in Italy, previously consumed with fighting overseas conflicts in Libya and Ethiopia. With international trade links restored, access to natural resources in colonies and puppet states, and government stimulus programs, the Italian economy experienced rapid growth, becoming among the world's largest; Italians witnessed their standard of living drastically increase, at the expense of worsening conditions for colonial subjects. A domestic oil industry was established in Libya, lowering Italy's reliance on foreign imports of fuel.

Nevertheless, not all is well. A renewed insurgency against Italian rule in Ethiopia commenced by 1957, as partisans loyal to exiled Emperor Haile Selassie sought his restoration, while a low-intensity conflict occupied the attention of Italian troops in Sudan. The dreaded Pan-Arabism ideology has spread throughout Libya despite attempts by colonial authorities to root it out. These developments threaten to undermine the entire Empire if insurgents and partisan movements cannot be pacified.

On 1 February 1958, Benito Mussolini died of a heart attack in his sleep at the age of 74, at his private residence of Villa Torlonia, Rome. Mussolini's death triggered an outpouring of grief nationwide; his funeral procession traveled through all major Italian cities, and was attended by millions. Mussolini was buried in his birthplace at Predappio, and his mausoleum has since become a shrine for ardent fascists.

Count Galeazzo Ciano, Mussolini's son-in-law and Minister of Foreign Affairs, succeeded him as Prime Minister and Head of the Fascist Party. His accession was confirmed by the Grand Council of Fascism and King Umberto II. Ciano has overseen the changing of the guard as the first generation of fascist leaders retire, and new politicians take their place. Ciano remains focused on crushing the ongoing colonial insurgencies, and has a clandestine objective of distancing Italy away from German hegemony.

RP Example(s): viewtopic.php?p=40016247#p40016247

Do not remove - 1960RP

Chedastan
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 25, 2013
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Chedastan » Tue Dec 20, 2022 5:28 pm

Sao Nova Europa wrote:Germany would also sell military equipment to Turkey, especially when it comes to tanks.

Curious question about what those would be, since I'd imagine Germany would be using early MBTs that would've been only hypothetical in our world (like modified versions of Panzer X/ Panther II style designs). And obv we're still a few years off from Leopards entering the picture.
I wear teal, blue & pink for Swith.

The Orson Empire
Post Czar

Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Orson Empire » Tue Dec 20, 2022 6:03 pm

Hey Chedastan, does Turkey still want control of Cyprus? I wasn't sure if there should be an IC dispute over it between Italy and Turkey.

Chedastan
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 25, 2013
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Chedastan » Tue Dec 20, 2022 6:08 pm

The Orson Empire wrote:Hey Chedastan, does Turkey still want control of Cyprus? I wasn't sure if there should be an IC dispute over it between Italy and Turkey.

We could split it via North and South and really have some historical parallels to mess with :P
I wear teal, blue & pink for Swith.

Union Princes
Senator

Founded: Nov 02, 2017
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Union Princes » Tue Dec 20, 2022 6:19 pm

Did anyone attend Gandhi's funeral after he was assassinated?
There is no such thing as peace, only truce between wars

The Orson Empire
Post Czar

Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Orson Empire » Tue Dec 20, 2022 6:24 pm

Chedastan wrote:
The Orson Empire wrote:Hey Chedastan, does Turkey still want control of Cyprus? I wasn't sure if there should be an IC dispute over it between Italy and Turkey.

We could split it via North and South and really have some historical parallels to mess with :P

That works with me.

Sao Nova Europa
Minister

Postby Sao Nova Europa » Tue Dec 20, 2022 6:25 pm

The Orson Empire wrote:
APPLICATION

Looks pretty good and I will be accepting it but with a change: you mention that you have 750,000 active troops and yet in your army description you state that the Regio Esercito has 1,300,000 total soldiers. This should be lowered to 750,000 troops.
Signature:

- Char Aznable

- Sun Tzu

Sao Nova Europa
Minister

Postby Sao Nova Europa » Tue Dec 20, 2022 6:32 pm

Chedastan wrote:
Sao Nova Europa wrote:Germany would also sell military equipment to Turkey, especially when it comes to tanks.

Curious question about what those would be, since I'd imagine Germany would be using early MBTs that would've been only hypothetical in our world (like modified versions of Panzer X/ Panther II style designs). And obv we're still a few years off from Leopards entering the picture.

Probably Panther II style designs, perhaps even selling some older but still useful Panzer models for lower price.
Signature:

- Char Aznable

- Sun Tzu

The Orson Empire
Post Czar

Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Orson Empire » Tue Dec 20, 2022 6:47 pm

Sao Nova Europa wrote:
The Orson Empire wrote:
APPLICATION

Looks pretty good and I will be accepting it but with a change: you mention that you have 750,000 active troops and yet in your army description you state that the Regio Esercito has 1,300,000 total soldiers. This should be lowered to 750,000 troops.

That includes active and reserve divisions. 25 divisions (500,000 troops) are active, while 40 divisions (800,000 troops) are reservists. The other 250,000 active personnel are spread among the other branches.

Sao Nova Europa
Minister

Postby Sao Nova Europa » Tue Dec 20, 2022 6:49 pm

The Orson Empire wrote:
Sao Nova Europa wrote:

That includes active and reserve divisions. 25 divisions (500,000 troops) are active, while 40 divisions (800,000 troops) are reservists. The other 250,000 active personnel are spread among the other branches.

Yes, you are right. My bad.

ACCEPTED
Signature:

- Char Aznable

- Sun Tzu

Sao Nova Europa
Minister

Postby Sao Nova Europa » Tue Dec 20, 2022 7:11 pm

I updated the map. If there is any mistake*, do notify me.

* if you have not been accepted, then your nation not being on the map is intentional.

[EDIT: Fixed Free France's colonial borders]

Also, for new players, some recommendations of nations we need:

1. Japan: It is a good nation for people who want to focus on domestic politics and economic growth. Japan is protected by the United States and does not face any immediate FP challenges, though a resurgent China may pose a problem.
2. Vichy France: France is in an interesting position, have to deal with the humiliation of defeat in WWII, the annexation of a considerable chunk of France into Germany (more specifically into Himmler's private fief), and a US-aligned Free France controlling the colonies.
3. Vietnam, Bulgaria, and Thailand are all in interesting positions and can be regional players.
4. Canada: Just like Japan, this is a good choice for players who prefer to focus on domestic affairs without worrying too much about FP since Canada is more or less shielded by the US.
5. We could always use an additional Russian state or a post-Soviet state in central Asia.
6. Spain under Franco is an interesting choice for players looking to join as a reasonably large fascist power.
7. Ireland and Finland are both in tough but interesting situations.
Last edited by Sao Nova Europa on Tue Dec 20, 2022 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Signature:

- Char Aznable

- Sun Tzu

Benuty
Post Czar

Founded: Jan 21, 2013
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Benuty » Tue Dec 20, 2022 7:54 pm

Sao Nova Europa wrote:I updated the map. If there is any mistake*, do notify me.

* if you have not been accepted, then your nation not being on the map is intentional.

1. Japan: It is a good nation for people who want to focus on domestic politics and economic growth. Japan is protected by the United States and does not face any immediate FP challenges, though a resurgent China may pose a problem.
2. Vichy France: France is in an interesting position, have to deal with the humiliation of defeat in WWII, the annexation of a considerable chunk of France into Germany (more specifically into Himmler's private fief), and a US-aligned Free France controlling the colonies.
3. Vietnam, Bulgaria, and Thailand are all in interesting positions and can be regional players.
4. Canada: Just like Japan, this is a good choice for players who prefer to focus on domestic affairs without worrying too much about FP since Canada is more or less shielded by the US.
5. We could always use an additional Russian state or a post-Soviet state in central Asia.
6. Spain under Franco is an interesting choice for players looking to join as a reasonably large fascist power.

Kind of curious how expansion between the states is going to go when it comes to unclaimed "wastes". Obviously, we aren't going to fight it out at first at least until all of Russia is claimed, but I suspect a TNO war between "the Russians" is probably going to occur once the RP gets there.
Last edited by Hashem 13.8 billion years ago
King of Madness in the Right Wing Discussion Thread. Winner of 2016 Posters Award for Insanity. Please be aware my posts in NSG, and P2TM are separate.

Sao Nova Europa
Minister

Postby Sao Nova Europa » Tue Dec 20, 2022 8:02 pm

Benuty wrote:
Sao Nova Europa wrote:I updated the map. If there is any mistake*, do notify me.

Kind of curious how expansion between the states is going to go when it comes to unclaimed "wastes". Obviously, we aren't going to fight it out at first at least until all of Russia is claimed, but I suspect a TNO war between "the Russians" is probably going to occur once the RP gets there.

Unclaimed territory in Russia should be treated as anarchic warzone dominated by warlords, gangs, statelets, and minor settlements. Expanding into those regions IC will require posts that detail both initial military/police action, and then explain how integration proceeds (law and order need to be restored, popular support to be gained, economic normalcy to be restored, etch). So it's not simply a matter of marching troops, but also pacifying those regions.
Signature:

- Char Aznable

- Sun Tzu

Shohun
Chargé d'Affaires

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Shohun » Tue Dec 20, 2022 8:08 pm

Astarter wrote:
Sao Nova Europa wrote:

Yeah I kinda just did some stuff, I have probably one of the worst economies but I plan on staying it somehow

Ok, so, my headcanon rn is that France dislikes the British due to surrendering, and is annoyed at the Americans for not intervening, but HATES the fake french and Germans, so will reluctantly help them do they can return to their territories.

I'm curious, does Free France allow the US to base nuclear weapons there? As far as I can see, if not, then the US faces a serious missile gap against Germany. At the moment, without Free France and with Iceland presumably anti-nuclear, the US only has its 13 Atlas ICBMs, 6 operational Snark intercontinental cruise missiles, and 4 submarine launched cruise missiles ready for use against Germany at any given time. I might need to institute Chrome Dome patrols over the Atlantic.
Last edited by Shohun on Tue Dec 20, 2022 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Upper Magica
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Nov 13, 2022
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Upper Magica » Tue Dec 20, 2022 8:40 pm

Benuty wrote:

I feel like an outright war would kind of be a let-down, narratively speaking. If there are real reasons that develop over the narrative, by God, we gon' fight, but I'm pretty pessimistic about the prospect of a unification war with other reasons than 'haha I unify russia'. TNO requires, in all reality, a series of unpopular and VERY costly wars because their narrative requires a unified Russia. Hundreds of thousands would likely die(and do in my average TNO russia unifier run), an unacceptable cost to any rational actor in a world where the free Russian/Slavic population is a fraction of what it should be on account of the Funny Mustache Man(tm) and His Really Good Ideas(tm) save for genocidal maniacs like TNOTL's Yazov or Taboritsky.

On the other hand, I feel like a drawn-out period where Russia's split up provides a lot of opportunity for inter-Russian economic development and backroom intrigue - and maybe even peaceful unification for the feel-good wholesome moments we all wanna see. After all, Nazi Germany vs. the USA is literally the second-worst Cold War that could have happened in our history and we don't need no mo' negativity in this already-blighted timeline.

Union Princes
Senator

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Union Princes » Tue Dec 20, 2022 9:41 pm

Neutral India would be a pain for the UK, Free France, and Italy with all the funding sent to Islamic separatist and other independence groups

The Orson Empire
Post Czar

Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Orson Empire » Tue Dec 20, 2022 10:13 pm

Union Princes wrote:Neutral India would be a pain for the UK, Free France, and Italy with all the funding sent to Islamic separatist and other independence groups

If India is funding insurgents in the Italian Empire, Prime Minister Ciano would close the Suez Canal to Indian shipping, putting economic pressure on Nehru to back down. Italy would also fund and arm separatist groups (especially religious extremists) throughout India in retaliation.

Union Princes
Senator

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Union Princes » Tue Dec 20, 2022 10:37 pm

That would totally not backfire on Italian ambitions in the Middle East if too successful promoting religious extremists
Last edited by Union Princes on Tue Dec 20, 2022 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shohun
Chargé d'Affaires

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Shohun » Tue Dec 20, 2022 11:35 pm

The Orson Empire wrote:
Union Princes wrote:Neutral India would be a pain for the UK, Free France, and Italy with all the funding sent to Islamic separatist and other independence groups

If India is funding insurgents in the Italian Empire, Prime Minister Ciano would close the Suez Canal to Indian shipping, putting economic pressure on Nehru to back down. Italy would also fund and arm separatist groups (especially religious extremists) throughout India in retaliation.

There's no need to close the Suez to anybody, that would only set a bad precedent, hurt the economy, and get the Americans involved. If Italy doesn't cause too many problems, the US is very content on focusing on the Germans.

Upper Magica
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Nov 13, 2022
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Upper Magica » Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:41 am

APPLICATION
NS Name: Upper Magica
RP Name: The Russian Republic
Flag:

Capital: Vyatka(formerly Kirov)
Territory:

Population: 39.8 million people

Official Language(s): Russian, Ukrainian, Belarusian, various regional minority languages
Ethnic Breakdown: 71% Russian, 8% Ukrainian, 5% Kazakh, 2% Belarusian, 13% Other
Religious Breakdown: 34% Russian Orthodox, 54% Irreligious, 12% Muslim

Type of Government: Military dictatorship(de facto), democratic semi-presidential federal republic(de jure)
Head of State:
Marshal Andrey A. Vlasov

Head of Government:
Col. Gen. Georgy N. Zhilenkov

Legislature (the name of your national legislature): All-Russian State Duma(advisory parliament de facto)
Legislative Houses (if your legislature is bicameral): N/A
Party in Power: Committee for the Liberation of Russia(KONR)
National Issues:

Irrelevant -
The remnants of the Russian nation are shattered, its many constituents either occupied by Fascist scum or ruled by infighting warlords. The Russian Republic cannot - until such a time it reunites what remains - truly claim to foreign governments with any legitimacy whatsoever to be the representative government of all Russians. As a consequence of this fact, the Russian Republic has little, if any, overseas influence.

Refugee Influx -
The lands of the Russian Republic are awash with a constant flow of refugees from both Nazi terror and slavery in the West, while others seek to escape the Russian Anarchy. This is both good and bad; the trans-Urals are a rich land awash with resources, agriculture and industry, and the sparse population means that those doors of opportunity that otherwise may be readily available to open for a regular country are usually nailed shut due to a shortage of labor. However, the state's practical capacity to house, feed, and clothe all these migrants is stretched thin - this often translates into famine, packed tenements resembling Soviet ghettoes, increased crime, and overall urban and rural blight.

Weak State Authority -
On paper, the Russian Republic possesses the institutions of a modern state, possessing a modern law enforcement agency, universal schooling, health care, and a wide-ranging welfare system; its investments, however, have not matched its commitments. Police regularly turn a blind eye to a rapidly expanding organized crime problem, Russian public schools use textbooks from the 1930s and even 1920s, its 'health care system' is composed of little more than a network of barely-trained clinicians in the countryside and aging urban hospitals, while pensioners can count themselves lucky to get the checks due to them, burdening the younger generations with the upkeep of the old.

Between Two Systems -
On paper, the old Socialist system was swept clean, with free enterprise for all. The great industrial combines and collective farms of the old Union that effectively robbed the people of their wealth were to be truly socialized through their gradual privatization, with profits flowing into workers' pockets once more, while a new generation of entrepreneurs and job creators arose to take the place of the bureaucratic apparatchiks that so shamelessly stole an entire generation's rightful wealth. On one hand, although land reform efforts have been wildly successful, the industrial reforms of the KONR have resulted in a corrupt system of monopolies and oligarchs, stifling the ideal of a dynamic free market economy, as well as any prospects of technological innovation and economic growth.

Dilapidated Infrastructure -
The Russian state's railways and roads were the envy of the world back in the 1930s, but it is now 1960, and both the condition and scale of the transportation network leave a lot to be desired; dirt and cobble roads, footnotes in history books in other countries, are ubiquitous around Russia - even in its cities. While in other countries, people utilize cars, buses, and trucks, the Russian utilizes the horse - buggy optional. Trains that should have been retired ages ago still live on like zombies, and the Soviet-era tracks themselves are composed, by and large, of rotting wood sleepers and corroded rails.

The Useless Assembly -
The Duma is the promise of liberation to all Russians made manifest. By all accounts, free and fair elections take place from the local level on up, and the people are able to have a true voice in government for the first time in Russian history. In reality, the KONR hold the true power of state, relegating the Duma to a rubber-stamp parliament, fearful of a Communist resurgence as well as the natural destabilizing influence of democracy on an already fragile state. It could even be that some among the body have grown too used to absolute power. Regardless, like opium, many among the people yearn for more freedom now that they have had but a taste. While discontent is relatively low at the moment, as the Russian situation stabilizes and the country opens up to the wider world, this could change for the worse for the ruling junta.

Overmilitarized -
The KONR, having its origins in the Russian Liberation Army, naturally has focused a great deal of its available resources into the military, as well as the infrastructure supporting it. As the detente between Free Russia and Germany deepens, while simultaneously, the situation in Russia grows more stable, many of among the up-and-coming young guards of the KONR and Duma have questioned the need for such a great investment into the military, especially with so much other pressing needs. Although the position of the hawks and the old guards still rings true - the threat of Germany still looms large, while the rest of Russia cries out for a better way of life - as the times change, this might not be the case for much longer.

Public Goals:

Rebuild and expand Russia's agricultural, economic and industrial base in Siberia, as well as the state's decaying infrastructure.

Restore Russian institutions to public trust; particularly the Constitution, welfare state and the judicial system.

Foster the beginnings of diplomatic and economic relations with foreign nations.

Maintain the peace on the A-A Line and foster good if not decent relations with the Reich, if not out of a sense of realpolitik.

Keep the Soviet communist system where it belongs - the graveyard of history.

Private Goals:

Build a military-industrial complex rivalling that of the Germans and Americans, in order to achieve a position of strength to effect the liberation of Russia proper from the Nazi scourge whether by the bullet, ballot box, or treaty.
Court American, Chinese, Japanese, or even German support in the reconstruction of Russia.
Reunify the various remnant states of Russia - peacefully, using force as a last resort.

GDP (nominal): $29.87 billion
Currency: Russian Ruble
Economic System: Dirigisme with significant free-market involvement
Major Trade Partners: Minor Russian warlords, Central Asia, Germany
Alliance(s): N/A

Military Branches (names of official Armed Forces Branches):
All-Russian Armed Forces:

Russian Army
Russian Air Force
Russian Navy

Active Duty: 245,000
Reserve Duty: 490,000
Total Manpower: 635,000

Land Forces:

The Russian Liberation Army is organized into:
1 armored division(147 tanks, 292 IFVs/APCs, 320 trucks, 17,000 men, 2 tank destroyer sections, 2 mobile artillery sections, 1 light anti-tank section)
2 mechanized divisions(60 tanks, 340 IFVs/APCs, 300 trucks, 18,000 men, 4 mobile artillery batteries, 2 light anti-tank sections, 1 tank-destroyer section)
11 motor infantry battlegroups(20 tanks, 60 IFVs/APCs, 180 trucks, 8,000 men, 2 mobile artillery batteries, 1 light anti-tank section)
7 infantry divisions(20 IFVs/APCs, 100 trucks, 12,000 men, 4 towed artillery batteries, 2 light anti-tank sections)

Air Force:

432 operational aircraft(200 fighters/interceptors, 120 ground attack aircraft, 112 medium bombers)

Naval Forces:

13 militarized riverine watercraft, 9 barges

Other Military Information:

The Army is largely equipped with relics of the last war - although the average soldier is equipped with the standard-issue SKS and AK-47, RPGs for portable anti-tank support, and camouflage uniforms to conceal them in the wilderness of west Siberia, they ride around in trucks from the 1920s, while T-34-85s and BTR-152s are ubiquitous vehicles among the Army's armored element. More modern equipment, such as T-54/55s and the new BTR-50 are found in the Armored and Mechanized divisions, the pride of the new Russian army.

The Air Force is in a worse state - with nearly no jet fighters to speak of, it's only suitable for counter-insurgency operations; it would surely fail against a more modern power.

History:

1942-48

The Russian Liberation Army was first conceived of by German propagandists and the idealistic Andrey Vlasov, who proclaimed its creation in the heady first days of the German 'liberation' of Russia - Operation Barbarossa - after surrendering his unit, disgusted by Stalin's willingness to throw away Russian men like cattle to the slaughter.

In 1942, overstretched and burdened by the forcible occupation of most of Europe, in addition to the still-ongoing war with the British, the OKW and the Nazi Party were forced to accept the creation of native standing military units and security detachments in their newly-occupied eastern territories. The Russian Liberation Army, among other military units derived from anti-Communist and nationalist organizations of the old Soviet Union, became a real fighting force albeit subordinate to their new German masters.

Over six years, the Russian Liberation Army gained a reputation as one of the most elite and well-equipped formations operating in the Reichskommissariat of Moskowien. Although never deployed on the front lines of the Eastern Front, the forces of Vlasov, although derided by their fellow Russians as lapdogs, were generally seen as more just and less draconian in their counter-insurgency operations than, for example, the SS.

In the late years of 1946, Vlasov and his band had grown suspicious of the Germans. The Reichskommissariat government had, in fact, grown more entrenched, replacing native Russian administrations with central German control over time; just as well, the rumors of abductions and disappearances of Russians, last seen in trucks and trains heading West worried most of the men of the Liberation Army, which had grown to 300,000 strong.

A spark lit the powderkeg of discontent in 1947 when Russian Liberation Army soldiers stopped a convoy bound West near the city of Vladimir; the SS troopers escorting the trucks and buses engaged in a 20-minute long firefight with the Russian soldiers. It was there they learned the truth - the rumors of Russians being forcibly conscripted into slavery were true. Vlasov's command was shaken severely. The general tried to keep calm and maintain the status-quo, but a group of the Liberation Army's senior and junior officers essentially gave him an ultimatum - begin resisting the Germans, or they would alone.

The Vladimir Mutiny, as it was called, started a wider revolt among Russian citizens and former collaborators - in cities across Moskowien, Russian rioters and troops seized government buildings - even managing to take prisoner some German occupation units in their entirety - but the reaction from the German government was as swift as it was harsh. Within days, German panzers and grenadiers were rolling with impunity through the 'liberated' cities, crushing all resistance before them, as well as the hopes of the Russians.

For the ROA's part, they were forced to scatter, their last instruction being to head East and rendezvous at Ulyanovsk. Although many units and battalions of the ROA had been picked off one by one, many still breached the German borders and escaped to freedom. Over 2/3rds of the force had been destroyed, but the remaining troops were able to seize Ulyanovsk and the greater Oblast as their own from its previous owner and ruler, a Dr. Trofim Lysenko, lackey of Stalin, who was subsequently shot after troops discovered his secret human experimentations.

With many suspecting - rightly - that the unoccupied areas of the former Union had devolved into barbarism and anarchy containing suffering beyond mortal comprehension, the choice was clear: the Russian Liberation Army had to live up to its name.

1948-1960

Over the next few years, the Russian Liberation Army, bolstered in its numbers by the recruitment of grateful peasants and refugees from the West began its drive to reunify Russia - one by one, the many warlords of the Trans-Uralic region fell like dominoes, either being driven further East, destroyed, or integrated into the ROA. The situation for many changed drastically: for the first time in almost a generation, many people now had true freedom and, at the very least, a guarantee of safety and security.

The Vyatka Manifesto, proclaiming the rebirth of the Russian Republic and its new constitution in 1950 came as no surprise after the liberation of the Trans-Urals - the focus for the ROA now became the arduous task of building a state rather than fighting the warlords. The new constitution proclaimed equal rights for minorities and women, freedom of speech, expression, and enterprise without state terror, while confirming Soviet-era policies of the welfare state, such as minimum wage, guaranteed vacation, state healthcare and universal education, and retirement benefits. And, most surprisingly, considering Russian history over the last thousand years - democracy for all.

Although times were hard, as famine, disease, banditry, and war took their toll on the population, the Republic's borders expanded eastward while its economy and citizenry bloomed, free from the shackles of the chaos that had come before, and free from the shackles of inefficient central planning and of collectivization. The first elections were organized in 1952 - although the Duma remains in an advisory capacity to the present day due to the state of emergency that gives the Committee for a Free Russia, the military junta governing the Republic, wide-ranging powers, people still gained the right to send representatives to Vyatka at least speak their platforms openly and freely.

As the 50s closed, passing into the 60s, Russians now had something they hadn't in the last decade - hope for the future. Although the Republic isn't perfect - monopolies, organized crime syndicates and oligarchs dominate the open market, crushing the domestic market and stifling competition, driving away the best minds of Russia, while the tenets of the Vyatka Manifesto are paid little more than lip service, the average Russian of the new generation can live a lifestyle with more freedom than their fathers and mothers before them, while also being slightly richer than their grandfathers and grandmothers.

Though these achievements pale in comparison to most modern countries of the era, many in the Republic's borders feel the wheel of progress is turning - for the better.

RP Example(s): If you are new and do not have an example, you can write a short (two paragraphs long) RP in your app for me to evaluate.

Do not remove - 1960RP
Last edited by Upper Magica on Wed Dec 21, 2022 9:29 am, edited 2 times in total.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse