NATION

PASSWORD

News from Pelagus [age of sail nations welcome]

Where nations come together and discuss matters of varying degrees of importance. [In character]
Bodanwald
Secretary

Founded: May 12, 2021
Iron Fist Consumerists

News from Pelagus [age of sail nations welcome]

Postby Bodanwald » Sat Jul 09, 2022 6:59 am

9 July 1782

Tensions rise over the Flüssental issue

T
ensions have risen up in some rural areas over the use of the scarse water supplies left due to the alarming lack of rains that reduced or dried up many rivers.
The worst news come from the Rückbach river which has now become impossible to navigate through with any significant trade vessel, leaving the town of Püschwalde, a freshwater port linking the West and East of Bodanwald, without a significant direct access to the capital. the small roads going from the Westertal valley to the Flüssental plains are few and in bad conditions, never considered of much use due to the much more profitable river connection.

With some Friulian-speakers in the Flüssental whispering outrageous ideas of secession from the Bugraviate, and the whole region now relying on the passage of supplies from the southern neutral territories, Admiral Großel has spoken out in support of General Bardans's plan for the occupation of the neutral territories, moving the border to the East bank of the river Skwars.
"Securing the estuary of the three rivers has now become paramount" explained the Admiral "leaving the region in the hands of the indigenous alliance, or the remnants of it, could eventually render us vulnerable, and we cannot afford to give any morale boost to the many pirates waiting for a new occasion to attack our trading routes".
No official decision has come from His Excellency yet, but the increased number of troops at the border give a clear message.

New section of Kieselberg harbour completed

A
new sector for the port of Kieselberg has finally been completed, now offering harbour to larger ships.
The change will also be seen with a significantly faster loading and unloading process, and a more direct route to the warehouses area.

This project, completed thanks to the support of the prominent trade company Löffler & Messerschmidt is part of a wider set of changes and updates to the South-East of Kieselberg aiming to improve the local manufacturing processes and make the distribution of goods arriving in the capital for other areas of Bodanwald much faster

Blecher family in crisis and prices rising

B
ad timing is how the rich Blecher family has being describing the recent economic issues that have forced their householder, Dominik Blecher, to halt the new mining project recently started near the port town of Lanseeburg, cut expenses and halt part of his textile production and furthermore, according to a revelation from the Bank of Bodanwald, tap into the family capital to hastily pay back some small debts.
The draught is mainly to blame, as it has made even the monumental Löffler & Messerschmidt company shake, and the recent drying up of the Rückbach river has been a much harsher reality for the Blecher family holdings which are totally focused on the West of the Burgraviate.
These events have suddenly increased the price of iron, a number of textile products, and, for a small part, the price of work tools, which is worrying as the price of food and beverages has already jumped up in the past weeks.
The prominent merchant Julian Kaufmann has plans for expanding his family dealings overseas to ease this crisis, but in the meantime hopes are that new trade routes will open up to Kieselberg.
Last edited by Bodanwald on Wed Nov 15, 2023 9:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
current theme
Late 18th century technology.
NS stats are only vaguely indicative.
The nation doesn't necessarily represent my views, it evolves and changes on its own.
News|Map

Bodanwald
Secretary

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Bodanwald » Wed Sep 28, 2022 5:53 am

28 September 1782

Flüssental valley united

T
riunphant in the streets of Großwald, it's walls breached and the enemy retreated beyond the Skwars river, General Francesco Bardans has achieved all his objectives and has been prised by His Excellency the Burgrave himself.

After a long march from the port of Lanseeburg, where the army disembarked, the attack started the 8th of September from the city of Stiggenau from whence the general guided the troops through the undefended rural lands between the Erske and Develn rivers, while the elite Jäger infantry moved down from Lördenstadt, past the Develn. finally, the main fleet under the command of admiral Hauke Großel started an heavy bombardment over the poorly fortified city known to Bodanwalders as Großwald, by the time the army reached the area, a breach in the walls made an assault possible, and, by the late morning of the 27th, the battle was won.

Diplomatic tensions after victory

A
fter the annexation in the south, Burgrave Dardan Davidovič of Wittennau has expressed its outrage, cutting the access to his ports to any Bodanwalder ship, in a move probably made to please the Turri tribes populating the bordering Altwald mountains in the North and the rest of the valleys beyond the Skwars river in the South-West. the diplomat sent to bring the news to court also announced the end of the pact of non-aggression and mutual aid reached during the pirate wars.

The closer ties being stipulated between Wittennau and the Turri is equally worrying Kieselberg, in a time when finally the Tibidoi pirates had been pacified and trade flowed free and safe through the gulf, peace between the local colonial powers seems difficult to maintain as the balance of power shifts easily.

Nevertheless the ties with the Duchy of Karkann in the south seem to remain strong, an alliance to keep alive at any cost, reinforced recently with a letter of congratulations from Duke Karl IV to His Excellency over the successful military campaign.

Drought ends

A
s the raining season started, the rivers have slowly begun to replenish, river trade restarted, securing once again direct access to the whole Burgraviate from the capital city, too late to save the harvest, as evidenced by the soaring food prices throughout the region, the hope is that with the capturing of the coast of the Flüssental valley the fishing sector will have space and resources to expand and make up for the losses, while trading agreements are under scrutiny and a search for new ones to bring cheaper food from abroad has started.
Last edited by Bodanwald on Tue Oct 18, 2022 11:14 am, edited 3 times in total.
current theme
The nation doesn't necessarily represent my views, it evolves and changes on its own.
News|Map

Bodanwald
Secretary

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Bodanwald » Sun Oct 16, 2022 7:24 am

16 October 1782

Subversive arrested in Großwald

K
nown already by the Kieselberg city militia as a crowd agitator and a dangerous subversive, Kilian Geisler, 37, born in Hamburg but living in Bodanwald from a young age, has finally been arrested in Großwald, in the recently captured territories of the Flüssental valley.
According to Lieutenant Colonel Ignaz Sigmund Stein, of the newly formed town militia of Großwald, Geisler was organising an insurrection in the city, aimed at establishing a republican regime in the city, and, probably, beyond it.
The city militia of Kieselberg and of the town of Lanseeburg have scored a number of similar arrests, in what seemed an organized net of republican agitators; the clear aim was to disrupt or take control of the main ports of the Burgraviate.

Lord Engel on a mission in Wittennau

L
ord Gerhold Hagen Engel, close friend and advisor of His Excellency, has returned from a mission in Wittennau, where he spoke with Burgave Dardan Davidovič and his close circle of nobles and generals, in an effort to relax the tense atmosphere that grew between the two Burgraviates after the Bodanwalder military conquest of Großwald.
Although distrust and tensions remain high from both sides, the mission assured a mutually signed non-aggression pact, the positive result was certainly helped by the recent reappearance of a common enemy: a group of Tibidoi pirates, that tried to board the Kaufmann Family's trade ship "Hoffnung".

Ermingard sets sail

C
ontinuing their expansion, the Löffler-Messerschmidt trade company added a fourth ship to its flotilla: the Ermingrad, that will further expand the quantity of goods imported in Kieselberg.
Although always focused on the trade of military equipment and advanced tools, the Löffler-Messerschmidt t.c. is now aiming at importing food and so help relieve the food shortages that are starting already to be seen across Bodanwald, the Ermingard has left the shipyards yesterday, and after some improvements have been added and a crew have been assembled, will leave the gulf with the similarly young "Auda" for a large shipment of grain and rice.
Last edited by Bodanwald on Tue Oct 18, 2022 12:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
current theme
News|Map

Mareyland
Envoy

Founded: May 26, 2021
Right-wing Utopia

Postby Mareyland » Fri Oct 21, 2022 5:45 am

To Erwin Löffler-Messerschmidt

Dear Sir,

I write to you on behalf of the Mareyland Society for the Promotion of Agriculture, of which I am humbly honored to call myself President. This Society was formed for the promotion of the interests of the farmers of Mareyland, who are the foundation upon which our nation's entire economy rests.

I have become informed of the situation transpiring in your country, where natural inclemencies have deprived your people of sufficient foodstuffs. I am told that you are outfitting ships for trade to obtain the necessary provisions. I would humbly suggest that you consider Mareyland as a destination for this mercantile expedition.

Our soils are blessed with fertility, and we have enjoyed bountiful crops of wheat, barley, corn, rice, etc. Furthermore, it is my earnest wish that this marks the beginning to a deeper and mutually beneficial trade relationship between our two nations.

Should you find this agreeable, your ships would find their best prospects by sailing for the ports of Annesburg or Caroline.

Believe me, dear Sir, Your obliged and faithful humble servant,
WILLIAM LEE
The Republic of Mareyland
Past Tech RP Gang
NS'ing since 2009

Bodanwald
Secretary

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Bodanwald » Sat Oct 29, 2022 1:08 am

Mareyland wrote:
To Erwin Löffler-Messerschmidt

Dear Sir,

I write to you on behalf of the Mareyland Society for the Promotion of Agriculture, of which I am humbly honored to call myself President. This Society was formed for the promotion of the interests of the farmers of Mareyland, who are the foundation upon which our nation's entire economy rests.

I have become informed of the situation transpiring in your country, where natural inclemencies have deprived your people of sufficient foodstuffs. I am told that you are outfitting ships for trade to obtain the necessary provisions. I would humbly suggest that you consider Mareyland as a destination for this mercantile expedition.

Our soils are blessed with fertility, and we have enjoyed bountiful crops of wheat, barley, corn, rice, etc. Furthermore, it is my earnest wish that this marks the beginning to a deeper and mutually beneficial trade relationship between our two nations.

Should you find this agreeable, your ships would find their best prospects by sailing for the ports of Annesburg or Caroline.

WILLIAM LEE
(Image)

to William Lee, Mareyland

Dear Sir,

I was positively surprised to find your letter among the mail brought today by a battered packet ship with the Mareylander flag still proudly waving abaft.
Captain Dillon Caustow has apparently battled valiantly with a heavy storm and had to refit at sea as best as he could, I'll help him fix the ship so my letter will hopefully arrive safely.
Besides Caustow's ship, there are not many others sailing to Mareyland, and I will be happy to start changing this situation.

I gladly accept your proposal, the Ermingard will soon depart and head directly towards Annesburg, and I'm convinced this will be the start of a long and profitable cooperation.

Your humblest servant,

current theme
News|Map

Bodanwald
Secretary

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Bodanwald » Sat Oct 29, 2022 3:09 am

29 October 1782

High tensions and growing famine

S
hocking reports come to the capital about the situation in the more isolated towns of Bodanwald, stories of people dead on the streets, of groups of migrants going to the bigger cities in the hope of finding food.

Authorities call for calm and dismiss these news as exaggerated, but tensions are high, so high that the recently captured subversive Kilian Geisler was freed by a mob of angry peasants as he was being moved to Kieselberg, 7 soldiers were cold-bloodedly killed by the mob, and General Martin Böttcher promises grave consequences for the perpetrators, manhunt has already started.

Uncertainty for the Kaufmann family

A
few months ago, the Kaufmann family was still enjoying a period of impressive success, and Julian Kaufmann was certainly the richer and most influential merchant of Bodanwald, as the main exporter of Bodanwalder food and beverages in the gulf, with his ships commanded by expert captains that always managed to escape the pirate attacks and blockades, to the hungry people around the region.

Since the beginning of the drought it has seen an inevitable decline in profits and value, reaching, last week, the lowest point: pausing all trade and mothball the ships.
Yesterday, after reaching an agreement for the import of food from outside the gulf, and the production of wine and beer somewhat getting back in activity, the family got back to business too, reassuring investors and citizens that the new trade routes will bring the Kauffmann back up.

Nevertheless, since the restart of trade, the family's value in the Kieselberger exchange has seen a further drop of more than 22%.

Ermingard to set sail for Mareyland

F
inally ready, the new ship of the Löffler-Messerschmidt trade company, the Ermingard, will soon depart for a voyage towards the port city of Annesburg, in Mareyland, after an agreement between Erwin Löffler-Messerschmidt and William Lee, president of the Mareyland Society for the Promotion of Agriculture.

The mission, according to the company, will be a first step towards an expansion of trade between the two nations and possibly a definitive solution to the exacerbating famine that is biting Bodanwald from the inside.

If successful, this operation will further boost the profits of the company, that has profited a lot in the sale of weapons and tools during the recent conflict in the South-West.
Currently Erwin Löffler-Messerschmidt has already reached princely influence over the Burgraviate, a truly great moment for his investors.
Last edited by Bodanwald on Sat Oct 29, 2022 3:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
current theme
News|Map

Mareyland
Envoy

Right-wing Utopia

Postby Mareyland » Tue Nov 08, 2022 7:15 pm

Leesburg

In the capital of Mareyland, a gentleman named Philip Shay had a meeting with President Thomas Cawthorne. Shay was a merchant, one of several wealthy men who controlled most of the import and export business of Mareyland. His wealth bankrolled the ships that carried various goods into and out of the country, and his connections abroad helped to facilitate their sale and purchase. His international business, and his known political support for the administration of President Cawthorne, made him a natural choice for a special assignment. A ship from Bodanwald was expected in port, and it was believed that this would mark the beginning of a prosperous commercial relationship between that far-off nation and Mareyland. To help facilitate future cooperation and maintain good relations, President Cawthorne presented Philip Shay with a commission as Mareyland's new ambassador to Bodanwald.

To His Excellency, the Burgrave Eberwin Von Bressen

Dear Sir,

Please accept the bearer of this document, one PHILIP SHAY, Esquire, as the henceforth appointed Ambassador to your court and country. He will act as the fully plenipotentiary representative of the Republic of Mareyland within the borders of your nation. Mr. Shay is a man of integrity and learning, and possesses the full confidence of my government.

It is the hope of the Senate of the Republic that Mr. Shay will be able to negotiate a comprehensive treaty of amity and commerce between our nations, enabling full diplomatic intercourse between our governments and creating a hospitable environment for merchants of both nations to do business. In this way, it is my fervent hope that our countries shall prosper together as friends.

THOMAS CAWTHORNE
Past Tech RP Gang
NS'ing since 2009

Bodanwald
Secretary

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Bodanwald » Wed Nov 09, 2022 8:44 am

9 November 1782

Kilian Geisler strikes again

A
s the death toll of the famine rises, tensions rise aswell, especially in the valley of the Rückbach river, where an organized uprising blocked all freshwater ports in the crucial passageway to the Flüssental plains.

General Francesco Bardans led his troops into battle and suppressed the revolts in both Püschwalde and Gärswitz, securing the ports and capturing a large number of enemies of the Burgraviate. the suspected agitator is the already known Kilian Geisler, still wanted by the armed forces after being freed by an angry mob.

The damages to both cities are going to hurt the already ill economy of the area, but His Excellency the Burgrave has already sent inspectors to evaluate the money needed for repairs and will help in the reconstruction, moving there the resources initially assigned for the expansion and restoration of the newly conquered city of Großwald.

H.E. institutes a Lords parliament

A
fter days of consultations and meetings His Excellency has instituted a chamber of lords appointed to help and counsel Himself in the ruling of the Burgraviate, a decision taken to facilitate the efforts in these times of emergency and uncertainty.

The chamber, assembled yesterday at Kieselberg and voted to name itself "Spreklukk", a compound word from the widespread Kiliach language, often used as a lingua franca by the common folk and in the Navy, meaning Speaking-place.

This "Spreklukk" will have a seat for each vassal of the Burgrave, and it already voted a resolution to lower local taxes and temporarily suspend import tariffs on food, a resolution that was approved by His Excellency in the late evening.

Ermingard back home

H
ome at last, and with large quantities of foodstuffs, the Ermingard showed its quality, an exceptional voyage in exceptional times, and the inauguration of a brand new trade route that might turn the crisis around for this winter.

The ship has been welcomed by a cheering crowd so vast that could only be dispersed with the intervention of the army, among the crew, a passenger, Mr. Philip Shay, with a letter of endorsement from the President of Mareyland, Thomas Cawthorne, as plenipotentiary ambassador in Bodanwald, the man was escorted to the palace, where he met with His Excellency and was later accommodated in a villa by the sea.

Mr. Shay discussed with His Excellency and his advisors of the Port Authority of Kieselberg, about a trade agreement to solidify the new commercial ties between the two nations, an agreement that will certainly increase the naval traffic between the two and facilitate trade in both countries' ports.

Kieselberg Stock Exchange updates

• The value of stocks from the Kaufamann's trade activity has timidly started to recover in the recent days after a slow but steady decline;
  • Löffler & Messerschmidt trade company seems to be very stable in value, while remaining by far the most profitable company of Bodanwald;
  • The Körper Family seems somewhat stable all things considered, but is suffering from the volatile prices of the local market;
  • The Blecher Family in the past weeks used again his reserves to pay off the debts, and after a positive restart, has, in the last days, seen his value lower again significantly after investors saw the umpteenth crush in revenues. although in part because it has been affected more directly from the crisis, the small industrial sector of Bodanwald led by Dominik Blecher is still far from success.
Last edited by Bodanwald on Wed Nov 09, 2022 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
current theme
News|Map

Mareyland
Envoy

Right-wing Utopia

Postby Mareyland » Wed Nov 09, 2022 6:30 pm

Dear Sir,
First, I hope you will forgive any errors in the translation of this letter. My staff and I are still learning the finer nuances of your language. However, I believe that time is of the essence in moving forward with the important business of diplomacy. In accordance with the instructions given to me by President Cawthorne, I have spent my time aboard ship developing the outline of a possible Treaty of Amity and Commerce between the Republic of Mareyland and the Burgraviate of Bodanwald.

I propose that such a treaty be based on the following points:

• A declaration of firm, inviolable and universal Peace, and a true and sincere Friendship between Mareyland and Bodanwald
  • Both states shall confer upon the other the status of "most favored nation," for the encouragement of commerce between them
  • Mareyland and Bodanwald will pledge to protect the vessels and cargoes of the other nation, when they are within their jurisdiction
  • No infringement will be made on the ability of citizens of one nation to purchase and own property within the jurisdiction of the other
  • Mutual promises of assistance, relief, aid, and safe harbor to ships in crisis belonging to the other nation
  • Both governments shall pledge not to commission privateers against the other, and promise to forbid the use of their ports by privateers that are enemies to the other nation
  • An agreement that should Mareyland and Bodanwald become enemies, merchants of the opposing nation will be granted six months' protection while in enemy jurisdiction
  • Mareyland and Bodanwald agree to establish a system of passports and cargo manifests, to enable easy and regulated movement of goods and people between the two nations
  • Both governments shall grant the other nation a right to inspect the cargoes of ships belonging to the other, but agree to limit such inspections to a single instance per cargo
  • Both governments will establish consuls in the ports of the other nation, to facilitate communication and resolve any conflicts
I await word of whether these terms are acceptable, or if you believe they require modification.
PHILIP SHAY
Past Tech RP Gang
NS'ing since 2009

Bodanwald
Secretary

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Bodanwald » Thu Nov 10, 2022 1:35 am

Mareyland wrote:

Dear Sir,
First, I hope you will forgive any errors in the translation of this letter. My staff and I are still learning the finer nuances of your language. However, I believe that time is of the essence in moving forward with the important business of diplomacy. In accordance with the instructions given to me by President Cawthorne, I have spent my time aboard ship developing the outline of a possible Treaty of Amity and Commerce between the Republic of Mareyland and the Burgraviate of Bodanwald.

I propose that such a treaty be based on the following points:

• A declaration of firm, inviolable and universal Peace, and a true and sincere Friendship between Mareyland and Bodanwald
  • Both states shall confer upon the other the status of "most favored nation," for the encouragement of commerce between them
  • Mareyland and Bodanwald will pledge to protect the vessels and cargoes of the other nation, when they are within their jurisdiction
  • No infringement will be made on the ability of citizens of one nation to purchase and own property within the jurisdiction of the other
  • Mutual promises of assistance, relief, aid, and safe harbor to ships in crisis belonging to the other nation
  • Both governments shall pledge not to commission privateers against the other, and promise to forbid the use of their ports by privateers that are enemies to the other nation
  • An agreement that should Mareyland and Bodanwald become enemies, merchants of the opposing nation will be granted six months' protection while in enemy jurisdiction
  • Mareyland and Bodanwald agree to establish a system of passports and cargo manifests, to enable easy and regulated movement of goods and people between the two nations
  • Both governments shall grant the other nation a right to inspect the cargoes of ships belonging to the other, but agree to limit such inspections to a single instance per cargo
  • Both governments will establish consuls in the ports of the other nation, to facilitate communication and resolve any conflicts
I await word of whether these terms are acceptable, or if you believe they require modification.
PHILIP SHAY
(Image)

to Philip Shay, Kieselberg, Hochufer Straße, 28

Dear Mr Shay,

My experts and I have given a thorough reading of your 10-point letter.
We feel satisfied with the proposals, if not for the desire to see point 3 slightly improved, as it could be used by closed minds as a loophole not to bring relief to ships of one or the other flag, therefore we propose that help be guaranteed to ships in difficulty even outside national waters for commercial vessels, as indeed our fleet, within the limits of the human eye, already guarantees it to all ships in difficulty seen by our patrols.

To repay you for this annoyance I would like to add an eleventh point: that is that the merchantmen of Mareyland will have guaranteed a 20% reduction on the import tariffs on food for the duration of the current and next year, thus ending on the first of January 1784.
Currently these tariffs have actually already been zeroed, on the advice of the Spreklukk, but this zeroing will end at the exact moment the food crisis will be declared over, and if this happens before the end of 1783, your traders will be able to benefit from an ad hoc preferential price.

I hope that Gaufrid villa is to your liking and that you will feel comfortable and at ease, for any need I have instructed my friend Lord Audmar Lambert Von Sulzbach, resident not far from you on Hochufer Straße, to pay attention to you for any necessity here in Kieselberg.

Your most faithful friend,

current theme
News|Map

Mareyland
Envoy

Right-wing Utopia

Postby Mareyland » Sun Nov 13, 2022 8:38 am

Dear Sir,
I am heartened to hear that the terms of the treaty are generally acceptable to you and your government.

As regards your first proposed alteration, this is perfectly acceptable. As for your second proposal, this is an act of immense generosity, and I gratefully accede to its inclusion in the treaty.

I have received further instruction from my government, with a query regarding the laws and practices of your nation: does Bodanwald law protect that certain species of property, i.e. servants or workers held in slavery? President Cawthorne has lately heard concerns of merchants in Mareyland, who desire to conduct business in your country, but seek assurances that their personal property will not be infringed upon. Should your answer be in the affirmative, then I will also inquire into whether a market for such property exists in Bodanwald, which might be satisfied by sale of said property by Mareyland owners.

PHILIP SHAY
Past Tech RP Gang
NS'ing since 2009

Bodanwald
Secretary

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Bodanwald » Tue Nov 15, 2022 8:07 am

Mareyland wrote:

Dear Sir,
I am heartened to hear that the terms of the treaty are generally acceptable to you and your government.

As regards your first proposed alteration, this is perfectly acceptable. As for your second proposal, this is an act of immense generosity, and I gratefully accede to its inclusion in the treaty.

I have received further instruction from my government, with a query regarding the laws and practices of your nation: does Bodanwald law protect that certain species of property, i.e. servants or workers held in slavery? President Cawthorne has lately heard concerns of merchants in Mareyland, who desire to conduct business in your country, but seek assurances that their personal property will not be infringed upon. Should your answer be in the affirmative, then I will also inquire into whether a market for such property exists in Bodanwald, which might be satisfied by sale of said property by Mareyland owners.

PHILIP SHAY
(Image)

to Philip Shay, Kieselberg, Hochufer Straße, 28

Dear Mr Shay,

I am very glad we reached an agreement.

For what concerns the sale of slaves: there is no law against it in Bodanwald, and no imperial law directly prohibiting this market to the Burgraviate, but I believe that such a trade would not be perceived positively by my people, as it could bring down the salary of regular workers and day labourers considerably, and, with the current state of affairs would most certainly require me to act strongly against it or, Heaven forbid! reform the entire economic structure of Bodanwald, which I feel it is an adventure I am already too old to embark into.

That said, if your people could handle the situation with the right amount of care, and limit the sale of slaves to the upper class as house servants, behind closed doors so to speak, it could work, I can't guarantee it will be profitable anyhow.

Of course any asset owned by your merchants won't be in any way restricted, and anything remaining on your ships will be safe in there, and I give you my word of honour that any change in policy over the matter will be discussed with you in advance.

current theme
News|Map

Bodanwald
Secretary

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Bodanwald » Fri Dec 09, 2022 6:28 am

9 December 1782

General Bardans repels insurgence

T
he battle lasted for the whole day, and costed the life of 120 soldiers under the command of general Francesco Bardans.

An army composed of followers of Geisler and Vasti natives was found by a group of light cavalrymen in the hills between the Skwars and Develn rivers, armed with rudimentary weapons and old muskets, they were waiting for further reinforcements from the Vasti tribes in the West, thanks to this finding the Bodanwalder army had the opportunity to attack an enemy halved in number.

The rebel army was slowly surrounded by the Bodanwalder line infantry and, with the supplies of gunpowder dwindling, general Bardans decided to launch a decisive bayonet assault that won the battle

No trace of Kilian Geisler was found; not dead nor alive, and his search continues.

"Bread for all" says Sprekkluk

E
nding a long and intense discussion in the Sprekkluk, the Lords of Bodanwald have agreed to a proposal, soon approved by His Excellency, to begin a grand census of the people of Bodanwald, organized by the Lords themselves, and the subsequent transport of food in all the towns of the Burgraviate to be handed over to each family equally.

The transports will be under the protection of a new militia that will guarantee the protection of shipments by sea and river and transports on the roads.

The chamber remains unsure how to manage the disorderly influx of people camped in and outside of Kieselberg, nothing beyond an increased military presence commanded by general Martin Böttcher, ordered by His Excellency, has been done, and the citizens of the capital are growing wary of the poor and hungry strangers.

A new road network

A
greeing to the proposition made by the Sprekkluk, His Excellency the Burgrave has allocated an impressive sum of Bodanwalder Marks for the construction of a network of wide and safe roads that will link together all the prominent towns of the Burgraviate, except for Altenburg and Wygensee, to avoid that the issues of this past summer will happen ever again.

The work has already begun and will be completed, weather permitting, by spring.
current theme
News|Map

Norumbea
Political Columnist

Founded: Nov 16, 2022
Ex-Nation

Postby Norumbea » Sun Dec 11, 2022 2:07 pm

Dear Sir,
My name is Peter Cortland, heir to the Earl of Guilder. I write to you on behalf of a venture which calls itself the NORUMBEA COMPANY, with a proposal which I hope will find favor in your consideration.

Along with several other gentlemen of means, John Hamilton, Cyrus Burlingham, et al, I propose to assist your country in settling and defending its frontier territories. There is in Mareyland a surplus of population and a shortage of land, leaving many people without the means to establish themselves. Your nation, as I understand from the reports of the newspapers, faces a challenge in securing control over a portion of your land which is thinly settled and troubled by savages like those which sometimes trouble Mareyland.

What we propose, sir, is an exchange: we would ask you to grant our company some considerable grant of land in this frontier region. Myself and my partners would then endeavor to sell portions of this land to aspiring men and families, and aid in their immigration from Mareyland to Bodanwald. We can pledge that the settlers we arrange to transplant to this proposed colony will be of industrious and of good moral character. We would endeavor to send veterans, and men of military age, who could provide defense of your frontiers as militia.

The terms of their purchase of the land from us shall be that the land must be improved and cultivated within two years of purchase, or else their grant shall be forfeit.

In return, we ask that settlers be exempt from taxation for ten years, in order to provide them with sufficient time to establish themselves and their families without undue hardship.

Additionally, we ask that settlers be permitted to bring their property, i.e. slaves, with them to the new colony, and that the practice of this institution be permitted, or if possible protected by law, for perpetuity.

I believe that this arrangement would satisfy your nation and the interests of myself and my partners, to the mutual benefit of all.

PETER CORTLAND,
EARL OF GUILDER

Bodanwald
Secretary

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Bodanwald » Thu Dec 15, 2022 6:28 am

Norumbea wrote:

Dear Sir,
My name is Peter Cortland, heir to the Earl of Guilder. I write to you on behalf of a venture which calls itself the NORUMBEA COMPANY, with a proposal which I hope will find favor in your consideration.

Along with several other gentlemen of means, John Hamilton, Cyrus Burlingham, et al, I propose to assist your country in settling and defending its frontier territories. There is in Mareyland a surplus of population and a shortage of land, leaving many people without the means to establish themselves. Your nation, as I understand from the reports of the newspapers, faces a challenge in securing control over a portion of your land which is thinly settled and troubled by savages like those which sometimes trouble Mareyland.

What we propose, sir, is an exchange: we would ask you to grant our company some considerable grant of land in this frontier region. Myself and my partners would then endeavor to sell portions of this land to aspiring men and families, and aid in their immigration from Mareyland to Bodanwald. We can pledge that the settlers we arrange to transplant to this proposed colony will be of industrious and of good moral character. We would endeavor to send veterans, and men of military age, who could provide defense of your frontiers as militia.

The terms of their purchase of the land from us shall be that the land must be improved and cultivated within two years of purchase, or else their grant shall be forfeit.

In return, we ask that settlers be exempt from taxation for ten years, in order to provide them with sufficient time to establish themselves and their families without undue hardship.

Additionally, we ask that settlers be permitted to bring their property, i.e. slaves, with them to the new colony, and that the practice of this institution be permitted, or if possible protected by law, for perpetuity.

I believe that this arrangement would satisfy your nation and the interests of myself and my partners, to the mutual benefit of all.

PETER CORTLAND,
EARL OF GUILDER

to Sir Peter Cortland

Dear Sir,

I've examined your proposition and I am inclined to accept it, although I'm not satisfied with it as it stands now.

I would not agree to a 10 years tax exemption, it would be an unbearably long time, and, considering your use of non-paid manpower in your hypothetical group, would be a reason of great dissatisfaction and anxiety among the many labourers of Bodanwald that pay taxes to the state while struggling to properly eat nowadays.

Similarly I cannot guarantee the protection of property over slaves in perpetuity, 'tis a thorny and delicate subject new to these shores, I can't imagine what effects it will have on the economy of the Burgraviate and can't predict the reactions of the people and the Sprekkluk, but there is an open dialogue on the matter with Philip Shay, Ambassador for Mareyland here in Kieselberg, you can present to him your perplexities. Any future change will be properly discussed with the interested parties for a shared solution; in any case it would be wise to adapt to the customs of the land, so to speak, and try not to rely too heavily on slave labour.

I propose that the exemption from taxation be reduced to 1 year (the whole 1783), and I'll guarantee protection over the ownership of the slaves brought in with the main settlers group.

I will also guarantee that food and tools will be delivered at low price if the settlers will find themselves in dire straits.
Game is abundant in the oppressive woodlands of Bodanwald, and will be a safe temporary source of sustenance, but both gunpowder and weapons are costly here, and you won't find it easily in the local market, therefore I'd advise an overly abundant stock of gunpowder and muskets to be brought in with the settlers.

If you agree to these points I will allow your endeavour, and I will grant you the Gutsherrschaft of a large territory along the Skwars river, to help you I'm willing to leave fort Oberbruck to your people, it is the only area that we own past the Skwars river, and the closest thing to civilization in the entire area, it has some basic wooden defences and a large clearing around it.

current theme
News|Map

Bodanwald
Secretary

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Bodanwald » Fri Dec 16, 2022 9:09 am

16 December 1782

Dominik Blecher goes bankrupt!

T
he Blecher family, after one last (one of many) attempts to save their industrial activities, has been forced to give up.

Dominik Blecher's activity has always been unreliable, a nightmare for investors, with small ups and dramatic downs; but the Blecher family always managed to reignite their activity with new investments, debts and savings.

In recent weeks they seemed to have found a good balance, attracting many new investors, but the explosion of a large steam engine and the unstable economic situation if Bodanwald has made their value and profits plummet once again, and this time the situation got worse than anyone expected. After getting into debt and selling shares, Dominik Blecher was eventually forced to sell his family's advanced coal mine, and halt the production of complex tools.

The final nail in the coffin was the decision of His Excellency, advised by his economic experts, to sell all his shares of the company immediately, the stock value soon fell, becoming worthless.

There is an open and desperate discussion at Kieselberg over the possibility of a buyer that could bring in more fresh funds into the coffers of the industrial carcass of the Blechers, and keep Dominik as an advisor of sorts, but it seems unlikely; in the next few days the most likely scenario is indeed a declaration of bankruptcy and a cessation of activity, leaving nearly 500 labourers and specialized workers without a job.
current theme
News|Map

Norumbea
Political Columnist

Ex-Nation

Postby Norumbea » Thu Jan 05, 2023 7:44 am

Bodanwald wrote:Dear Sir,

I've examined your proposition and I am inclined to accept it, although I'm not satisfied with it as it stands now.

I would not agree to a 10 years tax exemption, it would be an unbearably long time, and, considering your use of non-paid manpower in your hypothetical group, would be a reason of great dissatisfaction and anxiety among the many labourers of Bodanwald that pay taxes to the state while struggling to properly eat nowadays.

Similarly I cannot guarantee the protection of property over slaves in perpetuity, 'tis a thorny and delicate subject new to these shores, I can't imagine what effects it will have on the economy of the Burgraviate and can't predict the reactions of the people and the Sprekkluk, but there is an open dialogue on the matter with Philip Shay, Ambassador for Mareyland here in Kieselberg, you can present to him your perplexities. Any future change will be properly discussed with the interested parties for a shared solution; in any case it would be wise to adapt to the customs of the land, so to speak, and try not to rely too heavily on slave labour.

I propose that the exemption from taxation be reduced to 1 year (the whole 1783), and I'll guarantee protection over the ownership of the slaves brought in with the main settlers group.

I will also guarantee that food and tools will be delivered at low price if the settlers will find themselves in dire straits.
Game is abundant in the oppressive woodlands of Bodanwald, and will be a safe temporary source of sustenance, but both gunpowder and weapons are costly here, and you won't find it easily in the local market, therefore I'd advise an overly abundant stock of gunpowder and muskets to be brought in with the settlers.

If you agree to these points I will allow your endeavour, and I will grant you the Gutsherrschaft of a large territory along the Skwars river, to help you I'm willing to leave fort Oberbruck to your people, it is the only area that we own past the Skwars river, and the closest thing to civilization in the entire area, it has some basic wooden defences and a large clearing around it.

Dear Sir,
I received your letter some time ago, and I hope you will forgive the length of time which has passed before this reply must reach you. The winter has been particularly harsh this year, and the seas have churned with unrest, so that no ships could safely depart the harbors of my country for several weeks. I have contracted with a swift vessel to carry this message to your Honor.

On the matter of taxation, I would propose a middle course between our two offers: might the settlement have its taxes exempt for two years, and reduced to some level below the full amount for a period of two years after that? This will give the settlers time to establish themselves. You must understand that while the gentlemen of the Company do plan to hold portions of the land grant, much of it will be sold to yeomen farmers, many of whom do not have the means to purchase servants of the kind previously discussed. They are hardy people but they are accustomed to frequent hardship, and examine any change with extreme economy. Suitable incentives will need to be offered to induce their relocation.

As further argument in favor of this outcome, I will note that in Mareyland, it is customary for militiamen to receive payment for time spent mustered under arms, and for regular training. As we have discussed, a role of this settlement will be to provide a body of men capable of defending your frontiers. In lieu of the usual arrangement, let the tax exemption stand as compensation for these duties.

I hope that this compromise will be acceptable to your Honor. My partners and I merely await your final approval to set affairs in motion.

PETER CORTLAND,
EARL OF GUILDER

Bodanwald
Secretary

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Bodanwald » Thu Jan 05, 2023 8:52 am

Norumbea wrote:

Dear Sir,
I received your letter some time ago, and I hope you will forgive the length of time which has passed before this reply must reach you. The winter has been particularly harsh this year, and the seas have churned with unrest, so that no ships could safely depart the harbors of my country for several weeks. I have contracted with a swift vessel to carry this message to your Honor.

On the matter of taxation, I would propose a middle course between our two offers: might the settlement have its taxes exempt for two years, and reduced to some level below the full amount for a period of two years after that? This will give the settlers time to establish themselves. You must understand that while the gentlemen of the Company do plan to hold portions of the land grant, much of it will be sold to yeomen farmers, many of whom do not have the means to purchase servants of the kind previously discussed. They are hardy people but they are accustomed to frequent hardship, and examine any change with extreme economy. Suitable incentives will need to be offered to induce their relocation.

As further argument in favor of this outcome, I will note that in Mareyland, it is customary for militiamen to receive payment for time spent mustered under arms, and for regular training. As we have discussed, a role of this settlement will be to provide a body of men capable of defending your frontiers. In lieu of the usual arrangement, let the tax exemption stand as compensation for these duties.

I hope that this compromise will be acceptable to your Honor. My partners and I merely await your final approval to set affairs in motion.

PETER CORTLAND,
EARL OF GUILDER

to Sir Peter Cortland

Dear Sir,

I'm satisfied with the proposition.
If your part has no further concerns over my point about slavery, once you will reach our shores I shall officially approve your endeavour by granting you the title of Gutsherr of Oberbruck.

current theme
News|Map

Bodanwald
Secretary

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Bodanwald » Sat Jan 21, 2023 6:14 am

21 January 1783

Lord Guilder nominated Lord of Oberbruck

L
ord Guilder and the members of his Norumbia Company have reached the port of Großwald and sailed North along the river Skwars to reach fort Oberbruck.
The Company is set to establish a settlement there, protect the area from other future Vasti incursions and tame the wild woodlands of the area.

Their arrival in Bodanwald has been welcomed by suspicious looks in Großwald, where the Friulian settlers don't hide well their general sympathy for the cause of Geisler, the local militia and administration don't share the paesantry's concern, and have donated tools and fish to what they consider to be an eagerly awaited shield from the unsafe troubles of the North.

Poor soldiers?

A
rmy officials are protesting with their generals and the Sprekkluk for the insufficient pay, asserting that their situation is dire, and the work and risks in their daily patrols in the dangerous wild forests and mountains of Bodanwald isn't properly rewarded.

The issue has been revealed to the public opinion by general Francesco Bardans and Lord Alois Raginhard Dreyer during a discussion in the Sprekkluk, and the chamber is now considering a pay rise; Lord Audmar Lambert Von Sulzbach opposes the measure, arguing that the situation is dire for all in Bodanwald until the food crisis is resolved, and that the soldiers, differently from the rest of the populace, have enjoyed the certainty of warm food every single day, unlike most of the population.

More farmers

M
ore and more paesants have enjoyed an increase in their standard of living in the recent months, small animal farmers have profited selling their small food surplus at the current extremely high prices, and some have reinvested that money in clearings projects to claim more grazing land and fertile soil from the oppressive forests of the hinterlands.

A small but promising glimpse of a better future for the Burgraviate, after a 1782 that will certainly remain in the history books as one of the worse years for Bodanwald
current theme
News|Map

Norumbea
Political Columnist

Ex-Nation

Postby Norumbea » Sun Jan 22, 2023 12:58 pm

To Francis Cortland

Dear Brother,

I write this to inform you of my arrival in Bodanwald yesterday, after a long voyage but thankfully one without issue. I have remained in the port where our ship put in, which they call Grosswald, to see to various business while the first party of settlers continues up the river to the area given to use by the land grant.

We have been met with satisfactory hospitality by the government of this town, who have provided additional supplies for our people. I register some displeasure at our coming from the lower class of people but I pay it no mind. The language remains foreign to me, and I have been compelled to hire a translator for my dealings.

The settlers have been directed to take possession of a fort, which is called Oberbruck, as the foundation of our settlement. I anticipate that a more proper name will be given to the outpost once it has been invested. There is much talk here of the danger posed by the natives of the region. I have ensured that the best of our Indijan fighters are in the vanguard, and that they are well-equipped for any conflict.

Once things are settled here I intend to move up to the fort and direct matters personally. Of course this will mean longer times for letters in both directions. However I pray that you will continue to write me with regularity, and keep me informed on the affairs of our homeland.

I am with every Sentiment of true Affection your Loving Brother & faithful friend.

P. Cortland

Bodanwald
Secretary

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Bodanwald » Sun Feb 26, 2023 3:02 am

26 February 1783

Order restored in Kieselberg

A
fter a series of incidents, riots and a crime issue going out of control in the capital city Kieselberg, the Sprekkluk and the Burgrave agreed on a drastic proposal to clear the "Mantle" of illegal structures and shelters built by the migrants during the height of the famine around Kieselberg. The plan to peacefully impress into labour the migrants wasn't entirely successful however, as the news spread across the Mantle further riots ensued, and it was necessary a rushed intervention of the elite German Jaeger regiment helped by the city militia.
In the chaotic movement of the mob many were wounded, and nearly 100 people died. The shock of the aftermath has left the city dwellers speechless, but with one swift action the many issues that gripped Kieselberg have finally been solved and life will soon go back to normal.

Moreover, one fifth of the migrants were successfully captured and assigned to work for the new road network project in exchange for food and a decent pay at work completed.

On the lack of firearms

T
he already endemic problem of the unavailability of muskets and gunpowder has reached a level where the military leadership is starting to consider reducing the number of active servicemen, the number of old and damaged rifles still used by the militias is a shame on the Burgraviate. the Sprekkluk is looking for solutions, being it encouraging local production or increasing imports.

The lack of firearms has worsened the effects of the famine, since nearly nobody outside of the army and navy owns a weapon, which makes hunting impossible; or nearly so, since in the early winter some peasants have begun making or trading bows with the natives.

Another evident issue is that many decent colonists and city dwellers, faithful to the Burgrave and the Kaiser, can't defend their land from the sporadic groups of riotous anarchists that recently have carried hostile acts with the help of the Vasti tribesmen.

Signals of recovery

A
first month without any death from malnutrition is about to end, and is something to celebrate.

While prices remain very high, food is now finally within reach for all the population of Bodanwald, the food distribution proposition voted and approved in late November 1782 has been a total success, the internal migration has ended, food is available in every town of the Burgraviate and the time for recovery has officially started.

The famine has also greatly changed the food preferences of the peasantry, meat is more available in relation to grain, and its price hasn't changed as much as grain did, many varieties of cured meat have become available, many of the new farmers are investing more into animal farming, lowering even more the cost of meat, and old Friulian recipes with beans, salami, prosciutto, dense soups, and many ingenious ways to avoid wasting any part of the butchered animal and that fill the stomach with less resources are being adopted even by the German elite in Kieselberg.
Last edited by Bodanwald on Tue Feb 28, 2023 6:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
current theme
News|Map

Bodanwald
Secretary

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Bodanwald » Sat Mar 11, 2023 10:01 am

11 March 1783

Muskets for Bodanwald

L
ord Alois Raginhard Dreyer and Lord Giltbert Ingomar Kuhn have announced their unlikely collaboration on a new project that will bring the production of gunpowder and muskets to the town of Nordermutt. The ambitious endeavour will require substantial investment and expertise, and it has already garnered interest from the highest ranks of the local government.

The two noble lords will undertake the venture independently for the time being, with rumours suggesting that Dominik Blecher will be responsible for managing the administrative part of the production process. However, Blecher's past record has been less than ideal, and it remains to be seen whether he can successfully handle such a complex and critical undertaking.

One of the most significant challenges for the project will be sourcing the necessary components for gunpowder production. There is no information available as to whether saltpetre deposits have been discovered in the mountainous region of Bodanwald. If not, the components would have to be created from scratch, which presents a daunting task in and of itself.

Recruiting skilled workers who are capable of producing all the components of the musket will be another challenge. Additionally, training new labourers in the required skills and techniques will be a time-consuming and demanding process. It remains to be seen whether the project will be able to overcome these obstacles and ultimately succeed in its ambitious goals.

Corruption scandal in parliament

A
tax increase proposal that was initially intended for the lower class of Bodanwald has been met with strong opposition from the Corridor Party. As a result, after a lengthy debate, an agreement was reached to extend the tax increase to the merchants as well.

The Corridor Party leader, Lord Dreyer, argued that the wealthy merchants, including the Kaufmann, Löffler-Messerschmidt, and Körper families, had profited too much from the recent draught and famine, while the rest of the Burgraviate suffered, and have become a powerful authority in Bodanwald due to their immense wealth, particularly Erwin Löffler-Messerschmidt, owner of the Löffler-Messerschmidt trade company.

Two days later rumours have circulated that an investigation was underway by a group of officials from the Navy, to examine the possibility of a corruption campaign by the merchants in the Sprekkluk to influence the vote.
These rumours have turned out to be more than just that, as it was officially revealed yesterday that some Lords, mostly members of smaller parliament groups, were interrogated.

At present, no charges have been announced, and no official statement has been made by the parties involved, and the matter remains under investigation.

Bodanwald enters the age of reason with historic vote

I
n a historic moment, the first education system of Bodanwald has passed in the chamber of the Sprekkluk. It was a difficult task that required a great deal of negotiation and patience, eventually resulting in the Burgravins party splitting into two factions.

According to rumours and statements gathered by this paper, the chamber was nearly unanimous in agreement on how the system would work. However, news filtered from the Burgrave's palace that made it clear the proposal as it stood wouldn't be accepted by His Excellency.

The conflict arose over the languages to be taught in the future schools. After a great deal of diplomacy between parliament and Burgrave, the final text reaching the voting process contained the intent of teaching both German and the lingua franca known as Kiliach.

The vote was not a cheerful experience, as many lords expressed dissatisfaction with the Burgrave's veto. Tensions were high, and in the end, the Burgravins did not vote united. Half of the party, considering the final text a watered-down version of the origianl, voted against, and today it was announced that a new group has been formed from those who voted against.

Led by Lord Alexander Von Kahlberg, these "Alexandristen" made it clear that they will certainly respect the decisions of the Burgrave, but will also work hard to defend the independence and autonomy of the Sprekkluk.

In any case, this momentous occasion marks a new era for Bodanwald, with a basic education available to all, at the expense of state and lords, reason and knowledge will finally have a place in every corner of the Burgraviate.
current theme
News|Map

Bodanwald
Secretary

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Bodanwald » Fri Apr 07, 2023 6:57 am

7 April 1783

Gunpowder Project Delayed

T
he ambitious project to produce gunpowder and muskets in the town of Nordermutt has encountered a setback due to the delayed arrival of the esteemed natural philosopher, Johann Schiffer. Schiffer was hired by Lord Gilbert Ingomar Kuhn in Europe and is the sole expert in the Burgraviate with the knowledge to correctly mix the necessary elements for the production of the powder. Finally arriving in Kieselberg at the end of March, Schiffer's health was in a poor state due to the rigors of sea travel, and it took more than a week for him to regain his strength.

This has caused a delay in the plans of Lords Kuhn and Dreyer, who are eager to proceed with the project and focus on muskets aswell. However, they remain optimistic that with Schiffer's expertise and guidance, the project will soon be back on track. The Burgraviate is fortunate to have such a distinguished natural philosopher in their midst, and both the Lords and Burgrave are eagerly looking forward to the progress that will be made under Schiffer's careful watch.

SMS Kormoran delayed

I
n the shipyards of Kieselberg, the building of the new ship-of-the-line, Kormoran, has been hindered due to the scarcity of tools and the exorbitant prices in the local market. Kormoran is due to be the first 5th rate ship of the Bodanwalder fleet, a momentous advancement from the small 6th rates and post ships currently employed.

The ship was commended after a very close ballot in the Sprekkluk in early March, which ordered the fleet to be enlarged with eight new 5th rate ships. Nevertheless, the insufficiency of necessary tools and supplies has caused a setback in the construction of the Kormoran, which is presently less than halfway completed even though was predicted to be launched in early May.

Despite great efforts to obtain supplies from neighbouring colonies and nations, the prices remain elevated, and toolmakers are struggling to keep pace with the demand.

Until the required amount of tools and materials can be obtained, the building of the SMS Kormoran and the other new ships of the fleet will proceed at very slow paste. But nevertheless The Port Authority of Kieselberg is optimistic that a solution will be found soon, and the administration board ensured that the deadlines will be met.

New threat on the sea

R
eports have emerged of a 25-guns pirate ship spotted outside the Gulf of Bodanwald by both the Bodanwalder fleet and traveling merchants. Additionally, news has reached the Admiralty of attacks on merchant ships further away along the main trade routes.

What is particularly concerning is that this pirate ship is unlike any other in the region so far, with its European-style design and armament indicating a more organized and powerful group behind the attacks. The Admiralty suspects that this could signify a shift in tactics by the Tibidoi tribes, the Kaiser's enemies, or perhaps other groups taking advantage of the increased trade flow.

The Bodanwalder fleet is on high alert, as a one-on-one encounter with a Bodanwalder 5th rate would not be guaranteed victory. Merchants are advised to exercise caution, travel in convoys, and report sightings of the pirate ship immediately.
current theme
News|Map

Bodanwald
Secretary

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Bodanwald » Tue Jun 06, 2023 11:42 am

6 June 1783

Oberbruck Fort and Settlement Devastated

A
fter a prolonged period of silence from Lord Guilder's ambitious settlement project at the old Oberbruck fort, a harrowing discovery has been made. Two Jaegers were dispatched to investigate the sudden absence of news, only to deliver heart-wrenching reports upon their rushed arrival at Kieselberg.

Startling the local authorities, the Jaegers relayed the grim reality that the entire fort and its surrounding settlement had been ruthlessly reduced to ashes. The once hopeful community had fallen victim to the savage Vasti tribes and the notorious band of outlaws led by the anarchist Kilian Geisler. Shockingly, not even women and children were spared from the brutal onslaught.

Upon reaching the desolated clearing, an appalling scene unfolded before the Jaegers' eyes. The area was a macabre tableau of charred bodies and decimated structures. The peaceful dreams of prosperity and security, the hopes of Lord Guilder's grand vision for the region, had been shattered in the cruellest of ways.

The scale of the tragedy is difficult to fathom. The fort, once a symbol of resilience and security, now lies in ruins, echoing with the haunting silence of lost lives and shattered dreams. The ruthless attack by the Vasti tribes and the lawless forces under Geisler's command has left a scar that will forever mar the history of Oberbruck.

In response to this heinous act, His Excellency vowed to bring the perpetrators to justice and ensure that such a tragedy never befalls those lands again.

The Birth of the SMS Kormoran

I
n spite of numerous setbacks stemming from tool shortages and the subsequent scarcity and high cost of cannons, the long-awaited completion of the SMS Kormoran has finally come to fruition. In a grand ceremony, citizens of Kieselberg joined together to witness the spectacular launch of this ground breaking vessel.

The ship, an engineering marvel and a significant leap in both size and capability for the shipyards of Kieselberg, represents the first of an illustrious fleet of eight ships. These vessels aim to bolster and potentially replace the aging and delicate Bodanwalder Schooners, which have faithfully safeguarded local trade routes for many years.

The SMS Kormoran, a magnificent floating fortress, prioritizes raw firepower over manoeuvrability. With its imposing presence, it will serve as the inaugural section of a wooden wall that shall forever secure the waters of Bodanwald from the menacing threat of pirates.

The launch event was a true spectacle, capturing the imagination of onlookers and instilling a sense of pride and confidence among the citizenry. The shipyard workers, artisans, and engineers involved in the construction of the SMS Kormoran were hailed as heroes, their dedication and expertise manifesting in this mighty vessel that now graces the waters.

Citizens gathered along the harbor, cheering with exuberance as the SMS Kormoran majestically slid into the water, accompanied by the thunderous sound of cannon salutes. The ship's immense size and sturdy construction left no doubt that it would be a formidable force protecting the interests and livelihoods of Bodanwald's seafaring community.

As the SMS Kormoran embarks on its maiden voyage, anticipation and optimism fill the air. The whole colonial nation now looks forward to a safer and more prosperous future upon the sea, where pirates and lawlessness will be confronted head-on by the indomitable might of the Bodanwalder fleet.

Eberwin Von Bressen as Landgrave of Bodanwald

T
he resounding success of the SMS Kormoran's launch has reverberated across the seas, reaching the ears of our most esteemed Kaiser in Europe. In a momentous decision, His Imperial Majesty has chosen to dispatch a high-ranking official to Bodanwald, carrying a declaration that bestows upon His Excellency Eberwin Von Bressen the esteemed title of Landgrave of all the lands of Burgraviate of Bodanwald and its controlled territories. This recognition comes as a testament to the region's remarkable accomplishments, including the safeguarding of trade, survival amidst famine, and the demonstration of its capacity to become a self-sustaining colony dedicated to upholding the interests of the Kaiserreich in these remote lands.

The ceremonial event, steeped in grandeur and significance, unfolded within the hallowed walls of the magnificent Cathedral of Kieselberg. The regal edifice, a masterpiece of baroque architecture, provided a fitting backdrop for this historic proclamation. Crowds gathered both inside the cathedral and outside in the expansive Domplatz, eagerly awaiting the arrival of the high official who would deliver the Kaiser's momentous declaration upon His Excellency and his people.

The ceremony commenced within the Cathedral, where distinguished guests, local dignitaries, and fervent citizens filled every pew. The grandeur of the occasion was palpable, as incense filled the air, mingling with the solemn chants of the clergy. The divine sanctity of the Cathedral lent an air of reverence to the proceedings.

The high official, draped in regal attire, approached the lectern, clutching the Imperial declaration in hand. In a voice that resonated with authority, the official proclaimed Eberwin Von Bressen as the Landgrave of Bodanwald. The words echoed through the grand hall, enveloping the congregation with a sense of awe and admiration.

Outside, in the Domplatz, the joyful clamour of the crowd erupted into resounding cheers as the news of Eberwin Von Bressen's ascension spread like wildfire. Bells tolled, heralding this momentous occasion, while jubilant citizens of Kieselberg raised their voices in jubilation. The city was transformed into a tapestry of vibrant celebration, painting the streets with a kaleidoscope of colours.

The recognition of Eberwin Von Bressen as Landgrave of Bodanwald serves as a testament to the resilience, dedication, and unwavering commitment of the colonists to their cause. The Kaiser's declaration cements Bodanwald's status as a cherished outpost of the Kaiserreich, entrusted with protecting the region's interests and securing its prosperous future.

As night descended upon Kieselberg, the Cathedral's towering spires stood as a beacon of hope and unity. The legacy of this momentous day will forever be etched in the annals of Bodanwald's history, serving as a testament to the indomitable spirit and triumph of the colonial nation.
current theme
News|Map

Bodanwald
Secretary

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Bodanwald » Sat Jul 08, 2023 12:29 pm

8 July 1783

New Town Emerges

U
ncertainty and fear have gripped the town of Großwald as news of the horrifying Oberbruck massacre reverberates throughout the colony. The unpopulated and treacherous forests nestled between the rivers Skwars and Develn have become a breeding ground for danger, as the Vasti tribes and the notorious bandit Kilian Geisler joined forces against the Landgrave. In the wake of the massacre, many have chosen to abandon Großwald, seeking refuge in safer territories.

Großwald, once a budding town attempting to rebuild upon the remnants of an old tribal settlement, witnessed a surge in population as Lord Guilder's expedition promised security and a prosperous expansion into the hinterland. However, the shocking news from Oberbruck have shattered the fragile sense of optimism, prompting a mass exodus. Fleeing inhabitants have sought solace in the estuary of the river Erske, where small fishing villages, shops, and trading posts had already established a foothold, benefiting from the river trade towards Stiggenau and other towns in the north-eastern region of the Flüssental valley.

The influx of population to the estuary, however, brought with it its own set of challenges. Crime rates surged, prompting His Excellency the Landgrave to appoint a nobleman, Eike Von Oberdorf, as the Lord of the river estuary. The cluster of villages and isolated houses in the area now bears the name Uferweil. Lord Von Oberdorf has embarked upon an ambitious endeavor of transforming the region into a thriving port town. His project aims to capitalize on the area's strategic geographic location, paving the way for Uferweil to become an important hub within Bodanwald.

Nordermutt's Revolutionary Munitions District

A
momentous breakthrough has been accomplished in the industrious town of Nordermutt as gunpowder production takes a revolutionary turn. Spearheaded by the visionary collaboration of Lord Alois Raginhard Dreyer and Lord Giltbert Ingomar Kuhn, an impressive feat has been achieved with the expertise of esteemed natural philosopher Johann Schiffer. This remarkable achievement marks a new era of progress and innovation, elevating Nordermutt to the forefront of industrial prowess.

The initial hurdles encountered in sourcing saltpeter have been overcome by the ingenuity of Schiffer and his team, that have developed a new and safe process to produce saltpeter locally, eliminating the need for mining and ensuring a sustainable supply. The saltpeter works, situated at a distance from the town, hum with activity as this vital ingredient is created from scratch.

In the sprawling new neighborhood that has emerged on the outskirts of Nordermutt, an extraordinary transformation unfolds. Within its bustling streets, workshops and laboratories stand proudly, housing the various stages of musket production and other essential components. Dominik Blecher, an able manager, operates from a modest yet efficient house, overseeing the operations with commendable results.

The district has become a bustling center of craftsmanship and ingenuity, as craftsmen and skilled labourers work tirelessly to create muskets. From casting barrels and assembling mechanisms to crafting stocks and designing ammunition, every step of the process occurs within this thriving hub. With meticulous attention to detail, the craftsmen produce decent muskets, ensuring quality and reliability for the defence of Bodanwald.

The newfound self-sufficiency in musket production and the local creation of gunpowder foster increased trade and prosperity, augmenting the prosperity of the burgeoning neighbourhood.

The success of this enterprise would not have been possible without the visionary leadership of Lords Dreyer and Kuhn. Their unwavering commitment to progress and innovation laid the foundation for this historic achievement. Johann Schiffer's expertise and Dominik Blecher's astute management have been indispensable in transforming Nordermutt into a beacon of technological advancement.

Kieselberg Navigational Challenges

I
n the wake of the recent drought that plagued our lands until late last year, the river Westweg has experienced a remarkable recovery. However, this resurgence has not come without consequences. The revitalized flow has carried with it an anomalous amount of debris and sediments, posing a significant threat to navigation at the capital city's port.

As larger sailing ships increasingly flock to the bustling port of Kieselberg, the perilous conditions created by the forming sandbars and shoals have raised concerns for the safety of these vessels. Responding swiftly to the mounting challenges, His Excellency the Landgrave and the esteemed Lord Giltbert Ingomar Kuhn of Altenburg, have made a momentous decision.

Under the guidance of Lord Kuhn, the town of Altenburg, nestled at the cape of the peninsula that bears its name, has taken the initiative to enhance its port facilities paying part of the project himself. The larger vessels, previously bound for Kieselberg, will now be redirected to Altenburg, where their cargo will be offloaded and subsequently transported to the capital or other destinations across Bodanwald using the ships of local traders.

While this alteration in navigation routes may bring increased profits to the traders, it is possible that the populace may experience higher prices as a result. Nevertheless, the safety and security of ships and their valuable cargo remain of paramount importance.

Moreover, it is worth noting that Altenburg has become the unofficial home to the newly produced capital ship of the Landgraviate, the magnificent SMS Kormoran. This powerful vessel, symbolizing our nation's naval might, further solidifies Altenburg's growing prominence as a maritime hub.

As our flourishing capital and the Landragviate continue to adapt to the ever-changing challenges of nature, the resilience and resourcefulness displayed by Lord Kuhn and the authorities of Altenburg provide a glimmer of hope amidst the shifting tides. With the revised navigation routes and the burgeoning port facilities, Bodanwald remains steadfast in ensuring the smooth and prosperous exchange of goods and safeguarding the future of our maritime trade.
current theme
News|Map

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to NationStates